‘Let’s just play hockey!’ Gionta tweets

Giontaweb

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta probably spoke for a lot of hockey fans – and NHL players – when he tweeted on Sunday: ”Let’s just play hockey!”

He followed that up with another tweet: “That–let’s play hockey was directed at Gary Bettman”

Bettman made it clear on Aug. 9 that the NHL is prepared to lock out the players when the current collective bargaining agreement expires on Sept. 15.

“I re-confirmed something that the union has been told multiple times over the last nine to 12 months,” Bettman told reporters after a two-hour meeting in New York that day. “Namely, that time is getting short and the owners are not prepared to operate under this collective bargaining agreement for another season, so we need to get to making a deal and doing it soon. And we believe there’s ample time for the parties to get together and make a deal and that’s what we’re going to be working toward.”

Donald Fehr said the NHLPA will present an “alternative view” when it makes a collective bargaining pitch to the league on Tuesday. He added that it will not be a counter-proposal to the deal the NHL presented on July 13.

“What we expect to do tomorrow is to put forth an alternative view as to what we should do next,” Fehr told reporters in Toronto on Monday. “That’s the best way I can put it.”

Player agent Allan Walsh had an interesting tweet the day after Bettman’s announcement about the hard Sept. 15 deadline: “The average NHL ticket price has increased 39% since 2004 when Gary Bettman promised fans a salary cap would lower ticket prices.”

The top Canadiens ticket for the 2012-13 season – in the Platinum section for an Optimum game – at the Bell Centre will cost $418.

For a complete list of Canadiens ticket prices, click here.

(Photo by Francois Lacasse/NHLI via Getty Images)

1. B says:

How does the increase in NHL ticket prices compare to increases in the other major sports leagues?

2. Habs_Norway says:

Whats Molsons view on this potential lockout.
    Betty talks about the owners, but the owners are quiet. Are all of the owners behind GB? And wouldn’t that make every meeting with ones owner kind of awkward?

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• The owners pull Bettman’s strings — they’re his bosses, and if he’s being a jerk, it’s because at least 51% of them want him to. Not to sound like a broken record around here, but Bettman allows the owners to direct all the fans’ ire at a hugely unpopular figure, so they can smile at the cameras and put in face time at charity golf tournaments.

Aside from running some of the bureaucracy for them — most of which he surely delegates as well — Bettman’s sole real job is to deflect negative attention from the owners so they can maximize their revenues from the shadows. He’s a scapegoat and a figurehead, pure and simple.

3. dontpanic says:

Can someone accidentally on purpose punch Gary Bettman in the nose?

4. The Gonk says:

Love this deal, good for the Habs and Max! But it’s over the 5 year cap! ;)

Makes you wonder if a similar deal is in the offing with PK. I’d think he want more money if the term is the same, but that’s me guessing.

No hockey this year anyway, unless the NHLPA can offer a model that’s enough to start a dialogue. But I have a hard time seeing Bettman’s ego and the greed of the owners from realizing any conciliatory thoughts at the moment.

I’m with the players on this one. A 25% salary rollback is crazed.

5. Mark C says:

File away with cats and dogs getting along, an agent actually telling the truth!

Alec Schall ‏@aschall21
    Habs fans should know that @MaxPacioretty67 wants to be in Montreal and agreed to a cap friendly long-term deal to help the team win.

6. Cal says:

That poll question is a little “out of whack.” PK does deserve at the least a 2 year $4mil/season deal leading to his next deal. If he continues to improve and displays his natural flair the next should be an extension of 5 years at $6mil. At 31 (roughly), he’ll probably be getting $7 or 8 mill/season for another 5 seasons after that.
    Of course, with insane contracts to Parise and Suter out there, his agent will probably want the moon and the stars.

7. If the $4.5 million number is accurate this is a great signing for MB especially after we get the 24% rollback thanks to Buttman!

I’m very happy with this signing! Max is a quality player and a quality person…

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

8. Rozz says:

I’m stoked to hear Max Pac’s got an extension… does this mean we’ll get 3 new post/ articles from HI/O in one day? lol

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

9. commandant says:

Great contract for Max Pac.

Looks like we’ll get another new thread tonight…. wow.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. Cardiac says:

You gotta think the Pacioretty deal has to be in the ballpark of $5 million per year. If he consistently puts up 30+ goals, he deserves it. Hell, we’ve paid more money for less productivity lately… it will be refreshing to have a player earn his salary for a change.

- Jerry Maguire

• Malreg says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Max Pacioretty’s 6 year contract extension with MTL has an AAV of $4.5M. Extension kicks in at end of next season.

• gmd says:

That’s a great deal if Max continues to play like he did this past year.

• Cardiac says:

Agreed! Now I hope people start giving MB a break. When was the last time we offered an impact player a contract extension people he was due for free agency? Proactivity people!

- Jerry Maguire

11. ABHabsfan says:

After watching the Canada/Russia Challenge tonight, I have a question regarding 2 of the top prospects in the 2013 draft. Why is MacKinnon not on the team for the Canada-Russia thing? I realize he is still coming into his draft year but so is Monahan and he looked like a world-beater out there tonight. Did Hockey Canada decide just to split them between the teams? Or is their view that Monahan is better?
    Good news on the Habs front for Hudon, I have never seen him play before tonight. What a dynamic player. And not as small as some would have you believe.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Malreg says:

It’s because of a technicality in Hockey Canada’s rules. From TSN:

As reported by Metro Halifax on Wednesday, MacKinnon – the 16-year-old star who could go first overall in next year’s NHL Draft – will not be able to take part in the four-game primer for the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championship.

The rule says players 17 and younger who have not been a part of Canada’s summer Under-18 program are not eligible to participate in the Under-20 development camp. Hockey Canada announced earlier this month that the Canada-Russia Challenge – which has games at the Halifax Metro Centre on Aug. 13 and 14 – would replace its usual summer evaluation camp this year.

MacKinnon is eligible to take part in December’s world junior selection camp, but will likely spend the summer preparing for the 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament which takes place in Slovakia and the Czech Republic from Aug. 13 to 18.

• ABHabsfan says:

Now I know, thanks!

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Boomer says:

sorry malreg i didn’t notice your reply till after i posted mine lol
        What he said Habsfan…

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
        Hobo with a laptop

• Boomer says:

hey habs fan,
      I gotta copy and paste this article from tsn,
      Cheers.

A long-standing rule set by Hockey Canada will prevent Halifax Mooseheads forward Nathan MacKinnon from playing in the 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge in his hometown this summer.

“Obviously I am disappointed I cannot play,” the Cole Harbour native told metronews.ca on Wednesday. “But at the end of day I still have an opportunity to hopefully get invited to (the) U-18 camp. In this case, it’s a one-door-closes-another-opens type of situation.”

MacKinnon, whose quick rise to stardom has drawn comparisons to fellow Cole Harbour native Sidney Crosby, scored 31 goals and 78 points in 58 games with the Mooseheads this season and tallied 28 points in 17 games during the QMJHL playoffs.

“It seems odd, especially in a year when they changed the rules (to replace the development camp),” Mooseheads owner Bobby Smith told Metro Halifax. “This and the Super Series and the camp in December are all good evaluation opportunities, so it surprises me a little.”

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
      Hobo with a laptop

12. Renegade says:

Patches signed to 6 year extension. Terms aren’t out yet, but good move by Bergevin locking him up now rather than later.

13. sane hockey fan says:

Per the Canadiens Twitter: @CanadiensMTL Canadiens announce a six-year contract extension for forward Max Pacioretty

14. Rozz says:

I know we lost today in Canada Russia turny.. but I for one am just excited and happy that I got to watch some hockey finally!!! YAY! and Hudon had a great game… beauty of a goal!

..now the season better start on time cause I am reminded of how much I’m missing the game

Mark Twain.

15. Chris says:

I’ll post it here because we got a flurry of posts…

One of the most amazing things about Shayne Corson’s career was that he played while dealing with complications from ulcerative colitis. He had numerous flare-ups over the years, and any disease that limits a hockey player’s ability to process food is going to be a big deal. Theoren Fleury and Kevin Dineen, another pair of feisty players, had the closely related Crohn’s disease.

I’ve known a few people with these conditions in my life, and I’ve always marvelled that anybody could play NHL-calibre hockey (and all three of the above were above average players, at that) under those conditions.

For anybody interested, Kostya Kennedy at Sports Illustrated had a wonderful article on Corson (now 11 years ago…time flies!) when he was going through panic attacks due to his colitis and anxiety over his father’s death at the relatively young age of 45.

• Boomer says:

Thanks for the link chris. I have an anxiety disorder myself and can relate to Corson. I met him once when i was a kid, my dad pointed him out to me at a store and I walked up to him and said I was the biggest habs fan in my school lol. He patted me on the head and was kind enough to talk a bit with me and my old man. It’s a cool memory for me. He was cool in my books and still is.

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
      Hobo with a laptop

16. punkster says:

Ya think this whole “Let’s just play hockey” thing is a bit staged?

Ya think?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Great hockey game on TSN.
    3rd period tied 44. Russian top juniors against us in Halifax.

18. Mavid says:

yea thanks for getting rid of that ugly face…speaking of ugly faces there is Marchand..

19. commandant says:

Hudon looks fantastic out there. He’s a standout on a team full of talent.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

20. So Gionta just wants to play hockey, huh? If that’s the case then simply accept Bettman’s opening offer! Then he can play all the hockey he wants starting in September!

I think what he means is: Keep the CBA as the players want it and only then he’d be willing to ‘just play hockey’.
    Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• JoeC says:

I think hes refering to playing even if the Cba isnt agreed on yet, since the owners won the last CBA fight and got what they wanted and are the ones wanting to lock the players out, dirty rotten owners.

Love the fact that tickets are up 40% even thought Barfmans master plan, or BS statment about ticket prices lowering

21. HabInToronto says:

Charles Hudon with a goal :)

22. Bripro says:

So I was catching up on work and hockey all day, posting and re-posting.
    All with the little weasel’s face to look at.
    Then I go away for a couple of hours, make us a nice supper, had a few drinks, came back and …. huh?
    Three new pages?
    What was in those drinks?
    How much work have I missed?
    Ah crap! I had a quote due for tuesday, or else…. uh… wait a minute.
    We’re still monday.
    Weird….

23. HabFab says:

The Canadian U18 team won 4-1 today at the Ivan Hlinka.

24. HabFab says:

Just listened to some rumor clowns do an interview with hockeyinsider who claims to be someone drafted in 1993 and then went directly into the NHL…WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Habfan10912 says:

Had to look at Bettman’s mug it seemed like for months. Now three new threads in 1 hour. Love it! Choice between Corson, PK or Gionta. Much better.

———————————–

26. Mavid says:

i was disappointed to see him warmin the bench too…

27. Mavid says:

there is hockey on TV tonight..I can hardly contain my glee

28. SnowManHabs85 says:

Hockey is almost here and all there is the talk about is there might be lock out to shorten the season. Please no…

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

29. Hobie Hansen says:

OK, I’ve posted recently that I could survive with missing a season of NHL hockey because I’ve still got the junior leagues and other professional leagues to keep me occupied. That’s true, but let’s not kid ourselves, The NHL is leaps and bounds more entertaining and exciting to follow.

Winter in Canada…SUCKS! So I’d be pretty pissed if I had a foot of snow outside my door and no NHL hockey to keep me from going insane for five or six miserable months.

30. chanchilla says:

best news i could have gotten on such a slow night at work!