Let the lawyerin’ begin

• Pat Hickey’s Take 1 on  and 2 on the Kovalchuk mess
François Gagnon weighs in
NHL calls Devils’ bluff – Eric Duhatschek
• Allan Muir asks: Why now?
• Pat Hickey on the two Randys
Carey Price video (thanks, J.T.)
• Shout-out to SeriousFan09 for finding Crisis in the Q
Greg Stewart playing for peanuts (a characterization Hickey disputes, pointing out that Stewart’s salary isn’t bad by AHL standards … even if he could make more singing Dylan in the métro)
• CapGeek on Leafs’ penalty
And let’s hope justice prevails in the Kovy II case

Z48Y0sQzxxs

1. ProHabs says:

I would not trade Tinordi for Bieksa. However, Hodgson is a 20 year old with great potential so it would be like trading 1 highly regarded prospect for another. I just think that Hodgsons upside is greater.

It’s true. I heard the media call pg and bg incompetants, and they went on and on ad nauseum about 88 points and 47% wins, not to mention standing pat. Oh no wait. That was just some idiot loser who posts under numerous troll accounts on HIO and other fan web sites.

3. nickster13 says:

stupid linguistic poop

4. Bill J says:

Chipchura, Higgins & Komisarek all had Captain material…

;)

5. ProHabs says:

I googled it as well to see what attitude problems Andrew was referring to and didn’t find anything either. I would be interested to know what they are.

6. nickster13 says:

Those guys have as much brains as a bag of rocks. Insulting? What’s insulting is when you judge a coach before you see him coach. And the city is in Hamilton ONTARIO, not shawinigan!

These guys are so dumb its ridiculous

In the USA the hot-buttons in news reporting are sex and violence. In Quebec it’s the French language. That’s what sells papers in each respective jurisdiction. Nothing new here.

I still can’t imagine how sad it must be to be unilingual in Quebec. English, French or otherwise.

8. ZepFan2 says:

AND sensationalized by le clique!

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

9. Bill J says:

OK perhaps my post miss-led you into thinking I meant as a clone of Pronger.

Not what I intended nor was it the comparison I was quoting.

HOWEVER.

3 teams wanted Tinordi bad at the draft.

MTL / BUF / VAN

Vancouver so much, a trade hinged on him being available or not available at Vancouver’s picking spot.

Buffalo who was drafting just before MTL (prior to the move up trade)

& of course MTL who sacrificed a 2nd rounder to move up…

I think Tinordi will break into the NHL as a Hab – if you ask me.

10. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

No problem. Here is the full list of things on my desk:

Computer

Lamp

Dust

Index Cards

Book.

11. krob1000 says:

lol well documented attitude problems? he is captain material Andrew.  He was the captain in Brampton, an alternate for the world juniors and likely would have worn the C had he been able to play next time around but had to withdraw.  That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard…well documented? I just googled and found nothing of the sort…, captain, alternate captain….no mention of an attitude problem….where is this so well documented.  Are you referring to Vigneaults ignorant comment that he thought Hodgson was using his injury as an excuse…hmmmm….closest thing to a rift of any sort I can find.  Please enlighten us. BTW…another doctor proved the injury to be true and he missed nearly a whole season….who was the one with the attitude problem?

12. G-Man says:

kk- need those bad boys to add spice.

13. Bill J says:

Fair point – had not thought of it that way :)

14. ProHabs says:

How about a full list.

15. twocents says:

Just peachy.

Likewise to you, Andrew.

16. bwoar says:

If Tinordi plays close to his dad’s style that trade would be ill-advised.  Hard-hitting, fluid skating shutdown D-men are gold when your team has nothing like that.  Gill is okay but not that good and rarely lays a big hit on anything.   Hodgson is very good – I’ve seen him play playoff hockey with the Moose – but we aren’t lacking at centre compared to defense prospects.  I think from an organizational standpoint it’s hard to make that trade.

And it’s still up in the air if Hodgson will be a #1 centre.  #2, I think for sure, but #1 we’ll have to wait and see how his pro development shakes down.

And Bieksa for Tinordi?  Someone was enjoying a bit of the old BC Bud over the weekend, to dream that up.  Another guy I’ve seen on the Moose.  Good passer, offensive skills, lays hits…. weak defensively.

Bieksa has a better contract than, say, Mezaros, and is a better hockey player…. but playing on a high-scoring team and being a career -20 should be a big red flag.  As Ohlund left, and Salo goes down, Bieksa has had to play more minutes against better lines… ulp, I think Roberto needs another shot of bromide!

17. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Here is a partial list of players that Cunneyworth helped develop:

Craig Anderson, David Booth, Brian Campbell, Paul Gaustad, Ales Kotalik, Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Taylor Pyatt, Drew Stafford, Henrik Tallinder, Thomas Vanek.

18. krob1000 says:

Who compared him to Chris Pronger? he went 23rd overall in the draft…he scored 9 points in 26 games in the USHL….Pronger was OVER a point per game as a dman in the OHL …and the toughest guy in the league.  If anyone thought he was near Chris Pronger’s ability was in this draft he would have went 1st overall.  Chipchura was only once ever even a point per game guy in the WHL (and that was because he inly played 30 games that year).  Hodgson has averaged clsoer to two points per game in his last two years of junior with 112 points in 66 games.  Not even close……not even close…those two comparisons are light years away from reality.

19. likehoy says:

i would most definitely swing a deal for hodgson…but i want to know why the canucks wouldn’t put some faith as he has outstanding offensive instincts.

20. andrewberkshire says:

That’s my point though Bill. People bitch about losing Boucher like it’s the end of the world and he’s the next Scotty Bowman, but as it stands Cunneyworth has accomplished just as much, if not more because he already has 2 years as an NHL assistant coach.

Do I think he’s a better coach than Boucher? Personally, no. But I highly doubt that he’s just some crony who can’t tell a puck from a basketball and won’t help develop our youngsters at all.

21. andrewberkshire says:

Hodgson the next Joe Sakic? He’s not even a lock to ever make the NHL after his back troubles and with his well documented attitude problems.

22. riazp says:

I’m glad the NHL finally grew some balls and said no to a GM…This thing is getting way out of hand…I mean comme 3.5 mil in the final 6 years of the contract…if thats not bypassing the system i dont know what is. Might was well sign subban and price for 30 years at 125 mil. each..cap hit of about 4.1 million…I blame garth snow for this mess for signing DiPietro to that abusrd contract.

23. lenny says:

maybe the french guys would love in the next CBA that the NHL mandates the HABS can only sign French Canadian players…thats if, if any one of them would actually like to play here…ala Brier etc…

24. Bill J says:

Before someone else reminds you (and you wonder where the Boucher Rabble Rabble comes from) lol

You do realize who the AHL coach of the year was just this past season right ?

25. andrewberkshire says:

Haha If Bugs didn’t include a half insult in every compliment, he wouldn’t be Bugs!

Hope your summer is going well Eric!

26. Bill J says:

Interesting & well put perspective indeed.

Thanks for sharing :)

ARGH!!! The CBA is very frustrating!

27. ProHabs says:

But Pronger went 2nd overall (but who remembers who was drafted second eh Daigle). Tinordi was drafted 23rd overall. I think it is a bit of a stretch to see him as a Pronger. Hodgson is the next Joe Sakic.

28. TorontoHabsFan says:

Oh I agree completely. Having a 2nd team in Toronto would appear to be inevitable (there’s just too many people living in the GTA not to have another). Montreal on the other hand, I’d think that a return to Quebec would be better.

KC has that empty arena just waiting for a team. Without a salary cap, Phx (or any other struggling southern team) almost certainly would have been moved there.

29. nickster13 says:

lol special suit. teehee. I’m just immersed in arnold quotes right now

30. andrewberkshire says:

You do realize that Cunneyworth was the AHL coach of the year just a couple years ago right?

31. ed lopaz says:

3 of the top 20 teams in the country were ECAC teams;

Cornell 6th

Yale 8th

Union 16th

These were some of the teams that Leblanc was impressive against.

Riley Nash played 3 years for Cornell and has just signed on with Carolina.

I would say Leblanc is very comparable to Nash, and at least 1 year ahead of his development;

The habs decided to go a different route, acquiring Eller and Boyd, and creating a huge backlog of centremen

in Hamilton.

Where would Leblanc have fit in the Hamilton roster; maybe as a 3rd or 4th line line center??

Tom, before you say that leblanc’s priorities are not hockey, maybe you should consider that the Habs

are following his file extremely closely.

If you spent 1 day with Louis – 1 day of watching what he does, often alone, and at the Brossard practice

facility, you would be very excited about him as a prospect.

Leblanc is not your average Harvard player.

Leblanc is the best prospect in the history of that school.

32. bwoar says:

Solstice was June 21, smiler, but enjoy the ice cream and the weather.  Have a good one!

33. avatar_58 says:

Unless he can play wing what’s the point? Gomez won’t be traded and Plek is here for 6 years NTC. No need for a top centreman, they need wingers.

34. Bill J says:

When Tinordi is compared more to a Pronger then he is to a Gill / Komisarek.I dunno.

Hodgson reminds me of Chipchura…  Young / talented / injured … slow developing.

Not exactly what the Habs are looking for.

Besides, are we not tired of helping other teams with THEIR self created cap issues ?

35. bwoar says:

Bill, don’t forget the cap did protect the pre-oil-boom Oilers as well, before a gojirrionaire stepped in.  I think the cap probably helped protect Ottawa as well.  Had the NHL had a hard salary cap during the end of the 90s the chances of getting a proper arena deal done in Winnipeg would’ve been 100% better, and it was pretty close without one.

I agree that the CBA is a mess, and since its been in effect the salary rocket ride only hit a speed bump, but I think for competitive reasons there’s good arguments for the cap.

I also don’t think it’s a good thing for the NHL to have up a system where they will take any billionaire who wants to buy in, out of necessity, as the BoG has already filled its quota for felons, grifters, and shady con artists.

Jim Balsillie bought himself something of a cult status PR wise, but in speaking with people who have met him personally, each of them was left with the desire to wash after shaking his hand.  I’m talking about business leaders, people attending some of the same tech conferences and various events where JB was either in attendance or giving a keynote…. fine if think “this league needs an enema” and you want JB’s attitude and wallet to be the bag, but more than a few billionaires are head cases unto themselves, behind the grassroots websites and easy smiles.  It’s not too hard to look good going up against the most hated man in hockey (hated by many Canadians at least.)

In Quebec you’d have PKP… not a lamb himself, according to some.