Let the lawyerin’ begin

• Pat Hickey’s Take 1 on  and 2 on the Kovalchuk mess
François Gagnon weighs in
NHL calls Devils’ bluff – Eric Duhatschek
• Allan Muir asks: Why now?
• Pat Hickey on the two Randys
Carey Price video (thanks, J.T.)
• Shout-out to SeriousFan09 for finding Crisis in the Q
Greg Stewart playing for peanuts (a characterization Hickey disputes, pointing out that Stewart’s salary isn’t bad by AHL standards … even if he could make more singing Dylan in the métro)
• CapGeek on Leafs’ penalty
And let’s hope justice prevails in the Kovy II case

1. nightmare_49 says:

P H – Martin is from St. Pascal about 30 miles from Ottawa and a mostly french area whereas Brockville (more than 100 miles away) ia an anglo area that may have the odd french speaking person if you look hard. Brockville is close to Kingston ( Krob & two cents country ) and is the place where they stomped on the Quebec flag.

2. notbigbird says:

Probably≠end of story.

3. Bill J says:

Very well said last sentence – so true – I am glad to be bilingual, kept me sane in MTL.

4. andrewberkshire says:

I would acquire Hodgson, but I would rather allow Vancouver to give us a salary dump than give up on a player we drafted a month ago. Say, Bieksa and Hodgson for a 1st round pick, Ben Maxwell and another second tier prospect. Then find a way to dump Hamrlik and Bieksa can take his spot.

5. krob1000 says:

This the best summary I can find as far as timelines,etc. I would do the exact same thing and as soon as the Canucks went out and signed malholtra long term it meant Hodgson’s ticket out of town.  Your concern about his injury is valid…but the attitude thing is completely unfounded.  The only sense of entitlement he felt was that of adequate care and professinalism from the organization that drafted him…that didn’t happen.  This all started because I couldn’t make sense of the Bieksa/Tinordi rumours….probably just that rumours, but then I got thinking about Hodgson and that he is probably available….and I would do it in a heart beat if Hodgson were involved. That was my point in all of this but I see no evidence of a bad attiutude in fact quite the opposite.  I see star potential in Hodgson, and top shutdown guy potential in Tinordi…which is more valuable? to me the offensive star is always more valuable, Hodgson is also older and closer to being ready and that was my point in all of this…it is all a made ups cenario by me to begin with but since it was revealed that the Canucks were wrong…I have never heard a negative word about Hidgson….and before that…never a negative word.  The negativity was during a short timeframe where th Canucks accused him of faking an injury..that is low.

6. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I’m going to pretend that was intentional, and hide behind my “partial” qualification. Why did I leave him off?

He played for Kitchener in the OHL. Gainey and Gauthier both have kitchens. You draw your own conclusions.

7. andrewberkshire says:

I’m not blaming it on anyone, but almost every news story on it I read from training camp to when Hodgson couldn’t make the World Juniors questioned his commitment and attitude.

8. Bob Barker says:

Leblanc is only the 2nd 1st round pick to attend Harvard though so likely has higher potential than all the others.

9. andrewberkshire says:

You forgot Derek Roy!

10. krob1000 says:

You got it backwards Andrew do some research…..he was injured, the canucks accused him of faking? I have never heard anyone ever blame any of this on Hodgson…except Alain Vigneault (later proven wrong) and you (also proven wrong).

11. andrewberkshire says:

Krob, you’re assuming that when I say Hodgson was acting like an immature jerk that I therefore agreed that Vancouver acted in a proper manner. Not what I’m saying at all. Just like in the Sergei Kostitsyn hoopla, he was a jerk, and the Habs screwed up BIG time in the way they handled him. Same situation, and Hodgson is very much a gamble at this stage with a lingering injury and a large sense of entitlement.

12. ZepFan2 says:

Found this…

Not really that much. Mostly speculation.

– Steven Tyler

13. krob1000 says:

better do your homework on this one Andrew…the Cauncks were the ones who first accused him of not having a real injury, they were wrong, then Vigneault came out and publicly said this about a kid who was probably the best prospect hey  have.  The doctors later(not Vancouver’s) later proved there was an issue, the Canucks and in particualr Dave Gagner and Alain Vigneault were the “jerks” here…not the kid who was injured and accused of faking.  I can’t see Hodgson forgiving them either as that is about one of the poorest handlings of a prospect I can think of.

14. Bill J says:

I dunno – I get why you dig Hodgson, trust me I do.

But I highly doubt (I illustrated on a post above this one) that Tinordi will be traded for Hodgson.

perhaps for another player like Hammer or Spacek.

AK46 ?

Yeah maybe.

But not Tinordi.

BTW I do not see Tinordi as a C – because by then, PK will be mature enough to have beat Tinordi to letter status.  Hell by the time Tinordi arrives, Leblanc may have rank on a letter… 😉

15. ZepFan2 says:

You forgot to add, 17 years.

– Steven Tyler

16. Bill J says:

I too seem to remember reading something about this as well.

Several months ago.

17. andrewberkshire says:

Poor Habs_Guru, go cry into your pillow.

18. krob1000 says:

Chipchura of that group was the only one I ever would have thought that about but he (even pre injury) was never going to be more than a great third line centerman..but he did and still does ooze character.  Komisarek does too and will wear a letter at some point.  Higgins….beats himself up too much to ever bea ble to focus on leadership.  He was fine when things were going well but when he hit a snag personally….he just beat himself up too much.  HodgsonCaptain material? maybe not? but probably every bit as likely if not more than Jarred Tinordi.  Anyways my point is that Hodgson for Tinordi…in a heartbeat. There are no “attitude problems” with Hodgson..none. He was not correctly diagnosed for an injury while with Vsncouver in Gagner’s care, then Vigneault actually had the nerve to allege he was faking the injury because he couldn;t make the team, so now Hodgson has opted to work out with his own doctors (the ones who got it right) and not spend the summer with Gagner…hmmm…would you not do the same?

19. andrewberkshire says:

You don’t remember reading all year about how sour the Canucks were about him blaming the organization for his back problems, refusing to sign a pro contract and generally being a jerk? There were several stories on it from training camp to xmas last year before the world juniors.

20. andrewberkshire says:

The whole Vancouver Canucks org has soured on him because of his attitude last year. It wasn’t a one way street, Hodgson blamed the Canucks for his injury in the first place. His attitude problems in the last calendar year are as well documented as Sergei Kostitsyn’s!

21. ProHabs says:

I would not trade Tinordi for Bieksa. However, Hodgson is a 20 year old with great potential so it would be like trading 1 highly regarded prospect for another. I just think that Hodgsons upside is greater.

It’s true. I heard the media call pg and bg incompetants, and they went on and on ad nauseum about 88 points and 47% wins, not to mention standing pat. Oh no wait. That was just some idiot loser who posts under numerous troll accounts on HIO and other fan web sites.

23. nickster13 says:

stupid linguistic poop

24. Bill J says:

Chipchura, Higgins & Komisarek all had Captain material…

25. ProHabs says:

I googled it as well to see what attitude problems Andrew was referring to and didn’t find anything either. I would be interested to know what they are.

26. nickster13 says:

Those guys have as much brains as a bag of rocks. Insulting? What’s insulting is when you judge a coach before you see him coach. And the city is in Hamilton ONTARIO, not shawinigan!

These guys are so dumb its ridiculous

In the USA the hot-buttons in news reporting are sex and violence. In Quebec it’s the French language. That’s what sells papers in each respective jurisdiction. Nothing new here.

I still can’t imagine how sad it must be to be unilingual in Quebec. English, French or otherwise.

28. ZepFan2 says:

AND sensationalized by le clique!

– Steven Tyler

29. Bill J says:

OK perhaps my post miss-led you into thinking I meant as a clone of Pronger.

Not what I intended nor was it the comparison I was quoting.

3 teams wanted Tinordi bad at the draft.

MTL / BUF / VAN

Vancouver so much, a trade hinged on him being available or not available at Vancouver’s picking spot.

Buffalo who was drafting just before MTL (prior to the move up trade)

& of course MTL who sacrificed a 2nd rounder to move up…

I think Tinordi will break into the NHL as a Hab – if you ask me.

30. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

No problem. Here is the full list of things on my desk:

Index Cards

31. krob1000 says:

lol well documented attitude problems? he is captain material Andrew.  He was the captain in Brampton, an alternate for the world juniors and likely would have worn the C had he been able to play next time around but had to withdraw.  That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard…well documented? I just googled and found nothing of the sort…, captain, alternate captain….no mention of an attitude problem….where is this so well documented.  Are you referring to Vigneaults ignorant comment that he thought Hodgson was using his injury as an excuse…hmmmm….closest thing to a rift of any sort I can find.  Please enlighten us. BTW…another doctor proved the injury to be true and he missed nearly a whole season….who was the one with the attitude problem?

32. G-Man says:

kk- need those bad boys to add spice.

33. Bill J says:

Fair point – had not thought of it that way :)

34. ProHabs says:

How about a full list.

35. twocents says:

Just peachy.

Likewise to you, Andrew.

36. bwoar says:

If Tinordi plays close to his dad’s style that trade would be ill-advised.  Hard-hitting, fluid skating shutdown D-men are gold when your team has nothing like that.  Gill is okay but not that good and rarely lays a big hit on anything.   Hodgson is very good – I’ve seen him play playoff hockey with the Moose – but we aren’t lacking at centre compared to defense prospects.  I think from an organizational standpoint it’s hard to make that trade.

And it’s still up in the air if Hodgson will be a #1 centre.  #2, I think for sure, but #1 we’ll have to wait and see how his pro development shakes down.

And Bieksa for Tinordi?  Someone was enjoying a bit of the old BC Bud over the weekend, to dream that up.  Another guy I’ve seen on the Moose.  Good passer, offensive skills, lays hits…. weak defensively.

Bieksa has a better contract than, say, Mezaros, and is a better hockey player…. but playing on a high-scoring team and being a career -20 should be a big red flag.  As Ohlund left, and Salo goes down, Bieksa has had to play more minutes against better lines… ulp, I think Roberto needs another shot of bromide!