Legends alert: Gordie Howe in Montreal for March 24 signing

Gordie Howe Jean Beliveau

Gordie Howe (left) with Canadiens icon Jean Béliveau.
John Mahoney, Gazette

Legends are legends, so here’s a worthwhile heads up:

Detroit Red Wings Hall of Famer Gordie Howe will be in Montreal for a one-hour autograph signing at Centre Pierre Charbonneau, on Viau St. in the shadow of Olympic Stadium, on Saturday, March 24, from 12 noon to 1 p.m. It will be the first public signing in Montreal for Mr. Hockey in decades.

The Groupe collections Montréal show will also feature former Canadiens Gilles Tremblay and Dick Duff on the Saturday, with Canadiens’ Carey Price, Josh Gorges and Travis Moen scheduled to appear the following day.

There will be admission fees and special prices charged for autographs of all. More details to come as the show approaches, but circle the dates now.

1. joeybarrie says:

So I’m gonna say something very unpopular. I don’t dislike Kaberle on our team. I offer a few explanations. First, he is an offensive defenseman. He is not a shut down D. PK has 65 giveaways and Kaberle has 31. He is a -7 for us which isn’t great, but he usually plays with Campoli. Put him with Gorges and we see a different story. I’m not saying he is excellent, but consider this.
    With Kaberle we have 22 PP goals. Without we have 13. Our PP is at 17% with him compared to 11% without. With that same percentage in the games Kaberle didn’t play with us we would have 176 goals for. Good for 6th in the East. Our Goal differential would be -5 good for 7th in the east. We wouldn’t be in any great spot. But my point is that if used correctly Kaberle can be a very good addition. Yes he is a bit expensive for what he brings, but we have him. And if I remember correctly it was not that long ago everyone wanted us to pick him up from Toronto.
    Our problem this season is in fact soft D. However let me ask you this. Who picks up Kaberle expecting him to help bring in strong, solid and shut down D? No you expect him to bring in offensive numbers. Well he put our PP into the middle from the basement. (for the time he has been here). He leads our D in points and is on pace for a 46 points season with us.
    Basically what I’m saying is add Markov and another capable shut down D and we will see a lot change.
    He doesn’t play on the PK, and we still are great at that. I think its simply a matter of using him better.
    What would you think of him if he ends this season with 38 points and minus 8? How would we rate those stats as one of our D players?

• Bripro says:

None of the other D are earning that kind of money.
      If he was earning $2-2.5MM as a PP specialist, I wouldn’t have a problem.
      His -7 is a result of ++ on the PP offset by brutality at 5 on 5.
      I would trade him in a minute if I could.
      But then, I’d have to be GM.

• krob1000 says:

I am goign toa gree and disagree at the same time…I do not mind Kaberle adn I fully aprreciate the things he brings and I understand the things he does not bring….
      I think the issue is our D as a whole, we have too many offensive gusys and no grit and Kaberle being the most expensive of those and a past Leaf BRuin makes him the lightning rod.
      As a point man is not unlike Markov on the pp…he has always made whoever plays on the right with him better BUT we do not have a ont timer there…so that is half of his ability taken from him…he had the ability to make the cross seam pass and put the puck on the right point mans stick right in the wheelhouse. As its stands he has to switch with Subban at the top and without a legit shotting threat fromthe other side as well (and/or a right handed threat down low) it becomes too predictable.
      If we had Streit or even Souray bombing away from back there it would be a different story. Having no right handed one time threat down low hurts too and allows the pk and goalie to cheat.
      Kaberle is still better than any other option the Habs have right now. I do not think his hit against the cap is that bad personally…I think it is fair for what he brings…..I just question how it works with the Habs now that I have seen it and with what our d consists of. Perhaps Markov can be the one timer and we can have two pp geniuses back there….but Markov would have to be the shooter and play the right.

• SmartDog says:

Kaberle would be great.
      If he didn’t suck so much.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

2. Kooch7800 says:

Well, i must say one thing. Last night’s game was entertaining and now that there is no chance of a playoff birth it was amazing how I didn’t get my heart rate up with Minny started coming back. Usually I get all stressed with my heart pounding but this time I just sat back having a beer thinking oh well, if they lose we stay closer to the high draft pick…..it is kind of relaxing

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

Do we want this guy coaching our team next year?

4. sprague cleghorn says:

Had the pleasure of meeting Gordie back in the 90’s, he was a great guy. A few years back my son got an autograph from him and he was just great with the kid.

They don’t make ‘em like Gordie and Big Jean anymore.

5. Bripro says:

François Gagnon comments on the Habs’ victory, and avoiding a catastrophe!

6. Ali says:

Ryan White: “I was sending a message. Don’t be whacking Pricy. That won’t be happening on this team anymore.”

Anyone still think this team hasn’t been waiting for someone who can help them all stand up a bit taller?

7. punkster says:

Winning sucks!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Prospect Josiah Didier’s college team plays on NBC Sports Channel tonight.

9. Bripro says:

What entertainment last night, eh?
    They scored before we even had a chance to turn the TV on.
    Emelin wants to prove himself so much that he takes out our best player.
    ….speaking of which, Cole! What an athlete! Handstands and all!
    White is the next coming of Mohammed Ali!
    There were more face washes in one game than my son takes all year.
    Campoli and Kaberle need to stop sourcing their sticks from the rubber factory.
    Price is no Hextall when it comes to stick handling. Brutal.
    Why bother sitting on a cushioned-lead when you can send your fan base to the cardiologist?
    Desharnais has the sweetest hands.
    And thank you to the Wild’s skate sharpening specialist for forgetting to do Setoguchi’s blades for the shoot out.

10. shiram says:

Morgan Ellis was signed to a 3 year deal yesterday too, I was glad to see that as he seems like a good pick-up right now.
    Good size on a young kid, good QMJHL numbers too.

11. Ali says:

Wow, David Clarkson with as many goals as Kovlachuk and more than Parise this year. Guy is a beast, one of my favourite players.

12. shiram says:

So I know Veilleux slashed Price, and that’s why White started punching him, what I disliked about this was that Veilleux was in a headlock applied by Campoli.
    I’m ok with players defending team-mates, but pummeling a guy that’s being restrained is kinda weak.
    There was also the dive on Commodore in the previous game, I can’t say I’m a fan of that either.

I really appreciate what White can bring to the Habs, if anything since he came back, the team seems to have a little more jump, but I think he has to try to keep it as clean as he can.

• Bripro says:

You mean it was a Bruin-like manoeuvre?

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree it was a tad on the dirty side but I will take it in the sense that Price has been getting ran all year long with zero push back. Time to let other teams know that is not acceptable. I would have preferred he wasn’t in a headlock while being punched but Veilleux isn’t exactly known for being clean either.

This team needs to get a little more mean and it seems to be happening. My fear now is that they will go on some sort of a run….that would suck

• punkster says:

I think if it was an unprovoked incident, like some of the crap the Br00ns have pulled in the last few minutes of a loss that “sends a message” with no clear objective other than to intimidate, then I agree.

This was to “send a message” that you slashed our goalie, an illegal play, so this is what you get in return, also an illegal play.

I guess there’s a fine line between the two though in White’s case it was clearly retribution for an illegal play and not simply because he or the Habs are goons.

WAIT…HOW WAS THE POUTINE?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bripro says:

And he was correct in his comments.
        Price has been run over far too many times this year.

• shiram says:

Poutine was pretty bad.
        They had those breaded salty hard fries, they were not warm either.
        The cheese was cold and had no definite taste, and was fully lacking in squishyness.
        The sauce was average, but over abundant.

As I said I’m ok with some retribution, I just don’t like to see a helpless guy get punched, and that’s what we had last night, as Campoli was holding Veilleux.

• Kooch7800 says:

Accoridng to Arpon White had this to say about it: I was sending a message. Don’t be whacking Pricy. That won’t be happening on this team anymore.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Yeah, the punches to the face were less awesome when I saw he was restrained… however, I agree with other posters who feel justified knowing it was retaliation to slashing Price. It is kind of the same thing, really. Price can’t defend himself against a slash while he is covering the puck…. so…

• Cal says:

Loved White’s reaction. I don’t particularly care if Campoli was trying to deal with Veilleux; White ensured retribution for a cheap shot. Should he have been tossed for the 3rd man? Maybe, but neither Veilleux nor Campoli had dropped their gloves. Only White did. :)

13. HabFanSince72 says:

David Desharnais has the same number of points as Tyler Seguin and Corey Perry.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Mats Sundin finished his career with only 4 less points than Guy Lafleur, are they equal?

• HabFanSince72 says:

No because Sundin played 200 more games and played in a different era.

Desharnais, Seguin and Perry played the same number of games this year.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I am loving what DD is doing for this team, I also think it is great for city and team that we have a Francophone doing well for the team. But I would take Seguin or Perry over DD is all.

And Sundin can’t carry Lafleur’s jockstrap.

Just testing your logic is all.

• bleedhabs81 says:

The 200 hundred more games favours Lafleur… but the different era favours Mats (since he played when goalies were good and oversized with ridiculous pads)

• sprague cleghorn says:

And only 5 less Stanley Cups :)

• LafleurGuy says:

DD’s a feel-good story in a dismal season. The pre-neck fracture Max Pacioretty (when he scored about 10 goals in 14 games playing with Gomez and Gionta) called Desharnais the best player he had ever played with.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• SmartDog says:

I’m telling you – little guys, when they have REAL talent and drive are as slippery as a fish in a bucket of grease.

It’s gonna be awesome when we get to watch Gallagher on this team too.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Size is good for sure. A big, talented and fast player is very dangerous, but at the same time, a small, fast AND rugged player with talent can be more effective than the former. I think what’s missing most of the time in small players is the ruggedness aspect that is more inherent to bigger players.

People seriously undervalue talent and skill even if the small guy can take a hit and protect the puck. When size becomes a problem is in the case of our D that can’t dig out the puck or push people off the puck.

14. HabFanSince72 says:

What happened last night? Did they try to throw the game but failed at that also?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

15. Mattyleg says:

Reply to HiB’s horror story that Don Cherry has joined Twitter:

I can imagine Cherry’s Tweets:
    “Okay you kids out there this is what Im this guy great kid know his parents getting hit look gets up four guys in the league I tell you Arnprior dont get me started Russi”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Question to Mr. Boone, Heard you on the radio here, why did you backtrack when discussing the joy we are taking watching Toronto Fail? You were far too polite, espcially to a fellow Hab Fan (Blair) who is from the Peg!

17. habs-fan-84 says:

Last night after a few beers I posted the following in the Live Blog thread. This morning I feel relatively the same way:

So next year:

Pacioretty: 30 goals+

Desharnais: 20 goals+

Eller: 20 goals

Cole: 20 goals+

Gionta: 20 goals+

Plekanec: 20 goals+

Bourque: 20 goals+

With: Top 5 draft pick (2012), Leblanc, Beaulieu, Ellis, Tinordi, Gallagher

A real 4th line: White, Moen, Staubitz

The future is bright. Patience. PATIENCE!

Frankly, as far as I’m concerned what this organization needs most is continuity. I do not want to see widespread changes over the summer, i.e. GM and Coach change.

Lots of pieces to the puzzle are already here: Price, Subban, Gorges, Emelin and Markov.

With a functioning PP next year and better defense core and the subtraction of Gomez from the lineup we’re, IMO (for what it’s worth – probably not much) a top 6 team.

Always the optimist.
    Cheers,

• habs03 says:

+ We should have a lot of cap space to shore up the D, and also Bulldogs are going to have beast of a team next year, Leblanc, Gallagher, Bournival, Kristo, Ellis, Tinordi, Beaulieu, and possible Pateryn.

• jon514 says:

Don’t forget Patrick Holland, who came over in the Cammy trade. He’s got 97pts for 7th in the AHL…

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• shiram says:

Except he is playing in the WHL.

• habs03 says:

We were talking about going next season, jon514 is right, Holland should be making the jump to the AHL next year.

• shiram says:

Yeah but he got his 97 pts in the WHL, and he is 7th in the WHL, that’s the correction I was making.

• jedimyrmidon says:

His unsigned linemate is also putting up huge numbers so I wouldn’t read too much into his point totals, and he’s 20 years old playing in junior.

Main factor to look at, in my opinion, is whether he is improving or not, i.e., developing and by all accounts he is. So that’s a good sign.

• habs-fan-84 says:

As good as Holland stats look, I want to temper my enthusiasm. To be honest, I know very little of him, but from what I’ve read around here he is playing on one of the best teams in the WHL and, in fact both his line-mates have more points than him. In any event though, he does look like a solid prospect.

IMO the Cammy trade was very good for the habs, and another reason why I support PG.

• Bripro says:

I hope you’re right Habs, because they’re not too deep this year.

• Bripro says:

“after a few beers”..you too?
      I have such a headache! And it’s not even a snow day! Crap.

18. Mattyleg says:

Yeahhh!
    Great win last night, the dream is still alive!
    Still just 10pts out…
    There could still be hockey in Montreal in Spring!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

March 21st will arrive before the season ends. Technically, you are correct. ;)

• shiram says:

That was quite a weird game to see live, I was utterly puzzled by both of White’s fight, then Emelin with the hit on Cole, the blown lead, and the shootout ending was just priceless!

Poutine was not great though.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m surprised at the poor quality of the poutine.
        No, wait, I’m not.
        Nor, I imagine, were you.

My girlfriend and her friend got in to the game for free. Scalpers gave them two tickets to the Family Zone for free because they weren’t sure whether they’d get in or not.

They got in!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

That’s pretty awesome, as it was a very entertaining game, problably the loudest and best ambience of my 3 Bell Center visit this year.
          But yeah the poutine was below average, what with the sorta breaded fries that were lukewarm, the cold non-squishy cheese, and the average sauce.

Haha, you are a brave soul for trying the Poutine Shiram. Must have been a weird atmosphere throughout the evening with all the weirdness of the game.

L.A. Loyalist–
    I have eaten many squab in my life many ways!

For those in GTA. Boone in Fan590 at 10am this morning!

21. SmartDog says:

Does anyone else remember ‘shooting’ hockey cards against the wall at school? “Knock-downs” or “farsies”. Do kids do this anymore?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• New says:

I am not sure you are allowed to use the words “shooting” and “school” together anymore. They will come, toss your home, confine your kids and wife, take your little one’s crayons away, and proclaim a new law to justify it. Don’t even draw a picture of a toy.

• SmartDog says:

Life has changed. My kid comes home on a regular basis with a new list of banned toys he can’t bring to school for the dumbest reasons. Kids are trading something – banned. Someone slips on something – banned. Kids throw something around (isn’t that what a football is for?) – banned. Crazy, crazy world.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Psycho29 says:

“Leaners” also…

I also remember putting cards in the spokes of my bike,,,,or cutting off faces on one card to see how they’d look on another team. (Gluing them on of course)
      “Wow that Bobby Orr face looks funny on the Dryden rookie card!!”

22. ont fan says:

Ken Holland was in Windsor yesterday speaking. He was going to speak for five minutes and then field questions.He spoke for an hour.He said “Adversity is important for players. Bring up a player a year late rather than a year early. Most importantly and I can’t stress this enough, conservative, slow, patience, patience, patience. One piece at a time. When picking a GM or coach get them from a winning organization. I learned from Devallano and Bowman who came from Stanley cup winners.

23. habs03 says:

Things that have become clear, Gomez is so gone that its not even questionable anymore, PG put Cunneyworth as coach to tank the season, and DD is a legit 2nd line Centre.

24. RTC says:

Not sure if anyone saw the video feature on Desharnais that The Hockey News did, pretty good. The first Erik Cole clip is hilarious. Check it out.

25. Chrisadiens says:

Dad is apparently a blogger now. A tongue in cheek take on Twitter.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

The best hockey times of my life!

A hat trick of 9s !!!!

Maurice
    Gordie
    Bobby

They were the days my friends!

• Habfan10912 says:

Just missed the Rocket, Ian but Bobby and Mr. Hockey are the primary reasons I fell in love with the game. Loved Bobby’s shot. Can you imagine the shot today using the composite stick? Man!!!

• Ian Cobb says:

I was running inter department memo’s around the old Forum as a 14 year old kid and watched the 3 number 9s come into the building! Goose bumps!!!

So Ian you fell right in between Carrier Pigeons and Email it sounds like!

Must have been awesome to see those fellows in their prime, jealous.

• Ian Cobb says:

It was what saved me from the streets Gerald. They gave me a job, a room at the Y and I had to report to the Brewery every Wed morning for corporate classes.

A lot of the boys helped me out as an illiterate scared kid.

And Gerald, how did you know about me having racing homing pigeons most of my life.???

You had mentioned to me once I believe in passing Ian, my brother had rolling pigeons in our back yard growing up. They were pretty cool to watch.

• LA Loyalist says:

Listen, you splash a carrier pigeon with Calvados and wrap it in foil and back it in the coals… delicious. I suggest an 07 Cotes du Rhone… and a good hockey game :-) as the digestif.

un vrais trou Normand.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The only things pigeons carry efficiently is disease.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• LafleurGuy says:

Cotes du Rhone in California? Sorry, we’ve been asked to keep politics off this website.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Awesome. I think I would have fainted like a little girl.

• Cal says:

His brother Dennis had a harder shot, but Bobby was accurate.
        He’d hum one by the goalie’s head early in the game and get the goalie thinking.

• Ian Cobb says:

I now live in Belleville (since moving from my ranch in N.B.) the Hull’s home town, and more than once had a brew with them both at Bulls games.

I’m not sure which thread we should be on, but came across this:
    The Apocalypse is upon us!

Another Wild shoot out at the OK Hab corral last night!

Utterly unbelievable year, but a great entertaining game. With this group, you just never know what will happen.

I hope we win just two more games, March the 3rd and the April 7th both against Toronto, while maintaining position to pick 1st over all in the up coming draft.!!

29. habfan53 says:

The sad part of Gordie coming for a signing is that we older fans remember when Gordie was representing TRU-LINE for Eatons and Bobby Hull represented Simpsons and the would sign for FREE .
    Of course that was when we played leaners and toppers with our hockey cards and the Canadiens were the class of the league.

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

• LafleurGuy says:

Frisbees weren’t popular yet so we used our Hockey and Baseball cards!

“May you live in interesting times.”

I am not sure if I had posted this before or not, but a buddy of mine was in Vegas about 3-4 months back(maybe more) and there was a card signing event going on. It was filled with all kinds of athletes different sports. My buddy looked over in the corner, and there sitting by himself with no one around was Gordie Howe. My buddy went over and spoke to him for 30 mins and had to leave cuz his wife and kids were there and they were going for lunch. He felt terrible for leaving, no one else there even knew who he was. Gordie mentioned to him something about how one of his sons had arranged this signing for him, he wasn’t thrilled about it at all. Was very sad, my buddy said to see such a great man with great humility just sitting by himself, almost lost, due to the circumstances.

He is and always will be Mr. Hockey, I never saw him live as a Red Wing fan, but do remember seeing Gordie come through Wpg back in the WHA days, my older brothers just kept saying, watch him in the corner.

• Ian Cobb says:

Habfan53!!

I remember very well my friend, those were the days, never to be seen again by our youth. We were very fortunate!

• Ian Cobb says:

True dat!

30. Habfan10912 says:

Thinking about what a unique player Gordie Howe was. I don’t think we’ve seen anyone like him since with his skill and toughness. Maybe Ovie comes the closest but I don’t think he is anywhere near as tough. Can’t think of anyone else who even comes close. Anyone else?

31. LafleurGuy says:

What a phenomenal team the 1968 edition of the Habs was! Gilles Tremblay was such a strong skater, and Dick Duff, as the cliche went, could stickhandle in a phone booth. Yvan Cournoyer, and Bobby Rousseau were the fleetest of the Flying Frenchmen (sorry this epithet is awkward). Monsieur Beliveau was past his prime but artistry on ice and still potted about 25 goals in the season. J.C. Tremblay was my personal favourite. Gump Worsley was maskless. Charlie Hodge, Jacques Laperierre, Terry Harper, Ralph Backstrom (was he the first Swede?), Claude Provost, and oh yeah John Ferguson created indelible memories. The superb skating Serge Savard may have shattered his leg as a rookie in that year. Back then goalnets were anchored by 6 inch spikes. Apologies for the long-winded trek down memory lane. That was a great, great, great time to be a Habs fan!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Psycho29 says:

I actually have a stick autographed by the 1968 Habs….of course being 9 or 10 years old I used it in the house to shoot a rolled up sock for a year or two :-(
      I can maybe make out 4 or 5 names on the stick, in the areas where I didn’t hold it with my greasy, sweaty palms. (Laperriere, Beliveau, Backstrom are a few of the visible ones)

If only I knew then what I know now!

Edit: The 1971 and 1968 teams were my favs

• SmartDog says:

> That was a great, great, great time to be a Habs fan!

You mean kinda like now?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• LafleurGuy says:

P.S. Sorry I forgot to mention the great Pocket Rocket. In double-checking facts, Charlie Hodge had been plucked off the roster by the expansion California (all white skates) Golden Seals. We won the Stanley Cup 4-0 over the expansion St. Louis Blues coached by a thirty-something Scottie Bowman.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Psycho29 says:

My brother got married on May 11, 1968……of course the game the Cup was won was on May 11,1968….IN THE AFTERNOON!!!!
        Needless to say there were some pi$$ed off people at the wedding. A lot kept sneaking off to their cars to find out the score.

Lots of great memories this morning!!

• Cal says:

Good. Otherwise, I’d feel obliged to mention Henri, who is 19 years young.

32. Psycho29 says:

By John Bellyful on an earlier thread:
    “When I go to a house party and I take a six pack with me I leave what I don’t finish in the fridge, I don’t take it back with me. ”

I actually saw a couple leave a house party once and the guy said to the host:
    “We noticed you didn’t put out the peanuts we brought……We’d like to take them home”