Leblanc, Tinordi among Habs cuts; Galchenyuk stays

MONTREAL, QUE: JANUARY 15, 2013 -  (John Kenney / THE GAZETTE)

Before taking to the ice for practice at 11 a.m. Friday at the Bell Centre, the Canadiens cut seven players from their roster as they prepare for Saturday’s season opener at the Bell Centre against the Toronto Maple Leafs

Louis Leblanc and Jarred Tinordi, both former first-round draft picks, were sent to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs along with Michael Bournival, Gabriel Dumont, Patrick Holland, Mike Commodore and Frederic St-Denis.

Sticking with the Canadiens is this year’s first-round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher, a fifth-round pick in 2010 who had 10 goals and 10 assists in 36 games with the Bulldogs this season. Also sticking with the Canadiens is forward Mike Blunden, who scored two goals in Thursday night’s scrimmage at the Bell Centre and has seven goals and seven assists in 36 games with the Bulldogs this season.

There are 24 players still with the team, including Petteri Nokelainen, who is injured. The roster limit is 23.

Goaltender Carey Price did not practise Friday after appearing to injure a groin while making a save during the shootout competition following Thursday’s scrimmage. Price said it wasn’t serious and he would be ready to play against the Leafs.

“Don’t worry, Coach, I’ll be there,” Price told Michel Therrien on Friday.

Therrien said Galchenyuk will definitely be in the lineup Saturday night and that Gallagher might only play if centre Tomas Plekanec’s rib injury hasn’t healed properly.

Galchenyuk called Friday the best day of his life.

“It’s crazy what’s happened to me in the last couple of months,” said Galchenyuk, who is expected to play on the second line with captain Brian Gionta and either Plekanec or Lars Eller. “I started producing really well in Sarnia and then we get the gold medal at the world juniors (with the U.S. team) and now playing here in my first NHL game. I couldn’t be happier.”

Said Therrien:  ”We’ll give him a good chance and we’ll see. The more we saw of him the more it was clear he would be here on Saturday night.”

For a photo gallery from Friday’s practice, click here.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

1. frontenac1 says:

Ha! Vinny and Talbot dukeing it out at centre ice! Decision Vinny.

2. jeu_de_puissance says:

Thankgod for RDS HD. I can’t wait to watch the game without listening to the English CBC cast.

Let’s stay healthy*knocks on wood*, get PK back and get back in the top 8 this year.

Can\’t F#*k with history!!!

3. podbay says:

So happy that both Gallagher AND Galchenyuk made the cut! Can’t wait for the game tomorrow! All that needs to happen is for the Habs to shut out the Laffs, and to change the channel whenever Cherry or McLean are on the air. And I’m hoping Cole isn’t doing PBP.

4. frontenac1 says:

11-1 Moose ! C”mon Patty! Loose it!!

Thanks to JB I just had an epiphany. CH. Carbon. Hydrogen. CarboHydrate. CarbonHydrogenOxygen. CarbonatedWater. CarbonnEau.

6. frontenac1 says:

Just turned on Mooseheads vs Remparts. 8-1 for Moose? Has Roy lost his sh*t yet?J

7. Ron says:

Stubbs has Price’s new mask up on a new thread.

8. JohnBellyful says:

I think I speak for all/most/some/me when I say systems might win you games but, gawd, they can be boring to watch in their execution.
    And when they fail to produce the desired result, they’re doubly hard to bear.
    Sure I can live with a win by the Canadiens, better yet, a string of them, even if it/they has/have the entertainment value of cement/arteries/attitudes hardening, but, in truth, I probably would enjoy more a few losses along the way if the games were crisp, the action end-to-end, and there were plays, offensively and defensively, so exciting they caused you to leap to your feet/jump in the air/spill your Metamucil.
    Now I fully expect to see as many Canadien losses as wins this season but I can handle that if the team shows effort game in, game out, ALONG with huge dollops of creative sparktivity (just like I showed there, coining a word; then again, maybe all I’ve done is stummp Spell Check. It can be kinda wonky).
    Anyways, here’s the point I wish to make, and I hope coach Therrien has logged in tonight (any guesses as to who his alias is?): Do away with systems.
    Give players free rein to their instincts. Leave them to their own devices (which, in most cases, will still involve hockey sticks but don’t put a straitjacket on their imagination). Let them run wild.
    In other words, let CHaos reign (and you wouldn’t even have to change the team’s emblem).
    SURELY THIS WILL INVITE DISASTER AND RUIN, MAYBE EVEN BOTH, you respond (hey, there’s no need to shout).
    Well, I see things differently (through my nose, but that’s another post).
    And I have a recognized authority to back me up. Two of them, in fact: Merriam and Webster (he’s the short one). Here’s what they have to say about chaos: “a state of things in which chance is supreme.”
    Let me repeat that for emphasis: “a state in the midwest” – sorry, I lost my spot, here it is: “a state of things in which chance is supreme.”
    Now what is hockey all about. Scoring chances. Chances.
    So, in my book, any approach that increases those chances, in fact, makes them supreme, has gotta be a good thing. Especially for this team, which was woeful on offence last year.
    And embracing CHaos wouldn’t be as big an adjustment as you might think. The team experimented with it last season, and the trial period has continuned to this one with the turmoil being caused by Subban’s holdout.
    What’s that, Merriam? There’s something else the Canadiens can seize hold of, to achieve success in an unconventional manner? Throw off the shackles of authority, from the top down, to establish “a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government,” or bothersome curfews?
    What is this called whereof you speak?
    AnarCHy, you say?
    Hmmmm.
    AnarCHy and CHaos.
    It’s all coming together.

9. zorro says:

So glad to see Galchenyuk and Gallagher on the roster, No Gomez and no Darche, this season is promising.

10. Forum Dog says:

Just listened to the press with Gorges and Gionta. Talking about Galchenyuk billetting with someone. Gorges talking about how, in Montreal, “as great as the city is, you can get yourself in a lot of trouble. You can do things that you think are harmless”, and that you “really aren’t hurting anyone but yourself”, and that “public perception, and what you see in the media is really a lot different than what you think you are doing”.

That is $4M talking. People should listen. Kostitsyns, Camalleri, there are a few Habs that should’ve paid attention to that advice….

• HardHabits says:

That is Bergevin’s experience with the Black Hawks talking. The Penguins also mentored their young stars. This is an old discussion here at HIO and is another area where the Gainey regime got out-flanked by their opponents.

• Forum Dog says:

Oh, I get it. This is a Gainey thing? Gorges was traded for by Gainey, and Gionta was signed by Gainey. This is a Gorges and Gionta thing. A leadership thing. Funny, considering they were brought on board by a Hall of Fame captain…

If you’ve got the stuff to play, you play the cards you are dealt. Gainey had an empty lineup and he brought scouts, prospects and players to the table. 6 of 7 years in the playoffs as GM. A number of drafted players contributing to both the major and minor leagues. A conference championship and a trip to the semi-finals under his guidance.

It is all a progression. Gainey contributed as much to what is there now as Bergevin has. MB is the perfect person to run things IMO, but don’t disregard the past.

• Chris says:

You do realize Gainey was one of the guys who frequently housed new Montreal Canadiens when he was a player? I doubt he forgot the value of those lessons.

For example, one of the players that Gainey and his family billeted was Mats Naslund, who was then to attend Gainey’s jersey retirement ceremony at Gainey’s request.

• Forum Dog says:

Concur. Talent is key, but a team is a team. Without leadership, players like Galchenyuk flounder. That’s why he is in a position to succeed.

That plus he is really good and really smart….

• HardHabits says:

So what you’re saying is that Serge Savard was a good GM because that was who would have called the shots back then and made the request as Gainey was a player at the time, as you duly note. I am not convinced BG learned the lesson. Patches, Price and Subban were either brought up too early or not mentored when brought up. Patches was sent down and came back stronger. Price nose-dived and was rescued in a sense by Halak. That play-off run was a good humbling experience for Carey and in my estimation has contributed in a major way to his maturing process. Subban. He’s got a long way to go.

That is my only concern with Galchenyuk. However having MB behind the scenes instructing his players to step into a vocal role as mentor I am confident that the current regime will do a better job of guiding the youth to adult-hood, maturity and responsible behaviour, thus hopefully creating the future generation of leaders that will reignite that torch again.

Gainey’s peak with the Habs as GM was the Conference win, but it fell apart fast with Price being brought up too early in the season and handed the reins. I would think in restrospect it would have been wiser to keep him down on the farm after the Calder Cup win, to ride the bus in Hamilton for the better part of the season, hungry, lean and mean to be called up for a play-off Stanley Cup run, rather than have been handed the keys to the car and a map to the all you can eat poutine restaurant. He was 25 pounds over-weight by the time he got old schooled by Martin Biron. The Halak play-off run was a pure fluke, although I will credit Gainey for not firing Martin and coming behind the bench because the wrong goalie was being started. And although that run was fun, the team ran out of gas and nose-dived the subsequent seasons after.

Which brings us to the current regime. Only time will tell if the new guy handles the youth movement well or not.

11. Ron says:

Anyone with TVAS can watch the Halifax Mooseheads at Quebec Ramparts. 2nd period, 4 mins left and its 6-0 Moose.

12. caladin says:

I don’t find it hard to believe at all. At league minimum he’s a no risk veteran highly motivated to play his way into a new contract.

13. HabFab says:

Hard to believe 7 teams approached Gomer about signing with them.

14. JayK-47 says:

Tickets for tomorrow IN HAND. Paid a lil too much but I don’t care, never been to an opening day. And a free hotdog, soda AND BEER? All is forgiven.

15. caladin says:

Does anyone know who A.G. will be living with? TSN mentioned something and compared it to Crosby living with Mario, but I missed the key piece of info.

• HabFab says:

PK offered when he was drafted when both were being interviewed by Larinov’s daughter… just saying :)

• K-hab25 says:

Ya that’s not a good idea. Before everyone jumps on me, I don’t think it’s a good idea he lives with any of the young guys on the team, it wasn’t a shot at Subban. I was hoping for Gionta, Cole or maybe the best fit would be Markov. I know he wants to be considered American, but he grew up speaking Russian and is still fluent. I think that’d be a great spot for him to learn about being a star with big expectations.

• K-hab25 says:

Oh ya got you were being sarcastic. By the way would just like to say you were my lockout hero. I agreed with you on 100% of those issues. I was happy someone more articulate than myself was able to give something other than the “poor players” perspective. Well done sir!!

• HabFab says:

Thank you, but as I have said repeatedly, the second worst thing about that lock out was having to defend the NHL.

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just telephoned Telus to have My French package added for the season, which includes RDS

…not often do You get a salesperson of any ilk that tries to talk You out of Your intent to purchase one of their products, but this young man did that, by asking Me, ‘are You sure You want to do this Sir ? … ‘are You aware that the NHL Network is free until January 31st, and will cost only $ 50 to subscribe for the remainder of the season ? ‘

…Good Lawrd, WHAT ??? is this World coming to ??? :(

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…@savethepuck

…correction Dale, I thought Ypu were speaking of Galchenyuk, not Gallagher

…the BGally blurred with the AGally

…maybe call BGally ‘the Leprechaun, and AGally ‘NyukNyuk’ …then I won’t get confused so easily

…so, yes, BGally aka ‘the Leprechaun’ will not be played on the 2nd line, because NyukNyuk will :)

18. Forum Dog says:

Haven’t had a chance to see anything but a couple of shootout goals and some skating drills on youtube, but the coaches must see quite a bit to run him out there on Saturday. If you are strong and effective enough as a player to warrant NHL minutes at 18, you are a good hockey player.

19. Vinny Red says:

Is anyone else logging in as someone else?? I was just Forum Dog a few minutes ago (didn’t post anything)

• Forum Dog says:

What are you talking about pal? You are tripping me out.

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Definitely not me! i am obviously not the alternate troll account of an otherwise respected poster!

• HabFab says:

System did a short circuit. I had a edit go to never never land. Probably HH and I mentioning the “Day that will live forever in infamy” here at HIO :)

• Forum Dog says:

Is this for real? I just logged in after not having logged in or posted a comment in probably about 10 months. Did I blow things up?

Regardless, looking forward to watching some hockey Saturday. Actually kind of stoked about the CH right now. Maybe just because I can’t see the flaws yet, but a couple of things have happened over the last few months that’s got me pumped.

1 – They are a lot bigger, and will play that way. With Gomez and Camalleri gone, guys like Prust and Armstrong coming in, and guys like Cole, Paciorrety and Bourque coming back, there is gonna be a lot more bite to this line-up. Gally is pretty big for his age, Eller is no shrimp. Somwhere along the way the Smurfs shot up.

2 – Markov is healthy (touch wood). Its been so long that he played, a lot of us have forgotten how good he is.

Too bad PK is holding out, but they have enough depth there that they can get by, especially with Price behind them.

Then again, maybe I’ll take this all back in a week….

• HardHabits says:

Ah yeas… the halcyon days before modding, when the west was wild and the only law was a quickly drawn Smith and Wisecrack.

20. Habilis says:

I know TSN gest a bad rap for being Toronto-centric, and sometimes it’s deserved, but at least they only lead with Toronto stuff. Take a look at Sportsnet’s home page. Bear in mind that this is the sportsnet.ca home page, not sporstnet/toronto or whatever.

That’s just blatant.

21. tippytoes says:

Claude Lemieux cannot be one of the youngest . He finished junior hockey and was at least 20 years before he played his first nhl game. Petr Svoboda has to be one of the youngest.

22. Boomer says:

So If pleks is not there Third line will be Bourque/Prust/Gallagher? I kinda like that. Some size, some speed/energy and some scoring ability as well.
    Leaving Moen/White/Armdog for a 4th line? Blunden a healthy scratch?

23. Psycho29 says:

Three youngest players in Habs’ history:

1. Olivier Michaud
    2. Mario Tremblay
    3.Claude Lemieux

As just noted on RDS

Jessica Rusnak, Alyson Lozoff and Lori Graham should have exclusive rights to cover the Habs.

25. Haborama says:

Alright guys, let’s take a poll and call it “HIO: GREATEST HITS” this is a must read especially for all you who have been here for a while.

1. Greatest day in HIO history
    2. Best JohnBellyFull moment
    3. worst Troll
    4. craziest Nuna moment
    5. poster most likely to be Boone
    6. most times moded without being banned
    7. poster most obviously under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs while posting.
    8. best Timo moment
    9. most blatant use of two or more accounts by one indavidual.
    10. best Boone moment

• HabFab says:

1. September 22nd 2006
      2. too many
      3. guy who caused the “Water gun fight at the OK Corral” or Sgt Diddler of the NWMP
      4.poor nuna
      5.the last to ask who
      6.HH or one of Sybil’s
      7.too many and known as being PUIed
      8.all Timo moments are golden
      9.Sybil
      10.banning Timo, just because. Had to be there…

• Chris says:

How many people get banned and it actually turns into a campaign to get them unbanned?

In advance of the upcoming season, where the suckitude has a good probability of being “High”, I shall offer up one pre-emptive “Free Timo”.

• Bill J says:

Agree with all of Frank’s answers.

• Clay says:

Even number 9? I would think Priceberg had the most accounts…

__________________________
          ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• HabFab says:

My #9 and HH’s #8 are the same. You have been around long enough to know some of his personae’s. Like going to NJ to watch a play-off game if you stowaway from China ;)

• ZepFan2 says:

Btw, you have 10 questions. You doubled up on #2.

1- The very first day

2- All of them

3- Well it wasn’t Iggy Pop

4- All of them

5- No clue

6- N/A

7- Tie: Me, Frontenac and Boone

8- N/A

9- “Indavidual” Hmm…

10- All of them

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

• HardHabits says:

1. The Watergun Fight at the Big OK Corral Thread
      2. Too many to number
      2. Tony242 (second goes to sheldon the clown)
      3. All of them
      4. HardHabits
      5. punkster (this is an inside BALLS joke)
      6. HardHabits
      7. His triumphant return after being banned by Boone
      8. Yeats
      9. His acknowledgement that “How many Komo-erotic comments must we endure” was the best comment in reference to Pierre McGuire’s gushing during Komisarek’s first game as a Leaf

26. JoaquindaPark says:

The next milestone in Subban negotiations is game 5. At that time the Habs will determine if they keep Chuckie or not. If they do, Galchenyuk swallows a potential $3.225M on the salary cap with bonuses. This would leave only $4M for PK.

• ont fan says:

Subban believes and trusts Meehan. Meehan isn’t going to blink on term. MB is saying he isn’t bigger than Price you get the same 2 yr. term. He isn’t going to blink. So in 2 weeks we will see if Subban blinks.

• commandant says:

There will be more than 4 million available.

1) we are at 23 men on roster plus nokelainen…. when noke healthy one guy sent down… when subban signed another sent down…. so thats another 1.5-2 million
      2) much of Galchenyuk’s money can be put into the “bonus cushion” with only a 48 game season, his chances of hitting all his bonuses are very low, so there is little risk in using the cushion this year.

Next year, even if he hits the bonuses, that will get pushed forward to the 2014-15 season when Gionta, Markov and Kaberle are off the count so no worries on taking your hit the year late.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

27. HabFab says:

Gents, meet the latest reporter covering the Habs. Believe her to be the young lady speaking to White the other day with Jessica… poor Boone must be pissed!

28. B says:

From Hickey’s article on last night’s scrimmage in today’s Gazette:

“Ryan White left the game after a hard check from Yannick Weber but was around for the shootout.”

–Go Habs Go!–

29. Haborama says:

predictions for tha fuurst game!!!!!!

First Goal: Boullion (on a highlight reel deake)
    First points by rookies: Galchy with 3 goals and 16 assists, Suds with 12 goals, 0 assists.
    First Fight: a line brawl: Markov vs. Kessel, Armdog vs. Komisarek, Diaz vs Riemer (the fight of the century) and Gomez show up at the GM box and fights MB.
    First Injury: a fan throws a anaconda on the ice and it just about chokes JJ Daiganault before MT slays it with his trademark machete.
    Final score: 12-11 Toronto

You heard it here first

30. commandant says:

Habs pay Scott Gomez 5.5 million not to play for them.

Leafs pay Tim Connolly 4.5 million, Colby armstrong 1 million, Darcy Tucker 1 million, Matt Lombardi 1.5 million, and Matt Frattin 900,000 not to play for them.

Gauthier > Burke

(all figures to be prorated to 48 game schedule)

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…prediction: Gomer 40+ points for da EvilOnes …hat-trick first game vs Habs

…anyOne here with any underwear to lose ? :)

HIS’ HIO Official Theme Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to the Bell Centre !!!

…and, last, but not least: Go Habs Go !!!

32. piper says:

Does anyone think the Flyers would be interested in Markov?

• commandant says:

With Subban not signed, why are we trading Markov to a conference rival?

Hell even if Subban was signed, why are we trading Markov?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• piper says:

I really don’t see this team doing much this year and they should do it before he gets injured again. I just don’t think you’ll ever see Markov earn his salary again. Also, PK should be the habs highest paid d-man. Just my opinion though.

33. ed lopaz says:

my family went to see a playoff game against the Flyers in 2010, the game we won at home.

when we arrived, my son found out that Sergei Kostytsin would not be in the lineup. he had worn his SK t-shirt (purchased a few years earlier) to the game but we all knew what he REALLY wanted.

we headed straight to the Habs store and he ripped the shirt off his back and threw it to the ground.

when we left he was sporting his favorite #76.

we were hanging from the rafters – hoarse from the screaming with excitement – every time the Habs (and ESPECIALLY #76) touched the puck.

think that story has ever happened in New York to a Del Zotto fan??

• Sean Bonjovi says:

At least one person bought a Sergei Kostitsyn shirt at some point, so maybe.

• ed lopaz says:

when Sergei first came up, he was lights out!!

• Haborama says:

agreed, he was quite good in 2007-08 (like the rest of the team) and I must admit I was a fan (until he started acting like SK).

ahh thoose were the days, when Kovalev was a hero, not a prancing prima donna, when Komisarek was the toughest, meanest D-man in the NHL, not the big dumb peice of crap we now know him to be, and when we actually had dreams of a Stanley Cup…….

34. Peterpatch says:

All the pundits are picking the Habs to finish in the bottom three. I think they could be the surprise team of 2013. The Sens were picked to finish on the bottom last year.

BTW does anyone know when HIO will release an App for the IPad??

Final two cuts for Toronto are Reilly (good move) and Frattin (bit of a surprise). Connolly cleared waivers and was sent to the Marlies. He should be picked up by someone come the trade deadline (dirt cheap).

36. Stevie.Ray says:

Ryan Pulock, a potential first round pick, reminds me a lot of Ryan Mcdonagh.

37. savethepuck says:

Was out all day and haven’t had time to catch up on posts. Was a bit surprised when hearing BGally made the 23 man roster. Don’t get me wrong, I really like this kid and he’s a 5th rounder that has turned into easily one of our best forward prospects. Just surprised because he didn’t seem to be on a set line in camp. He’s not a 4th liner, which means he must be playing on the 3rd line because it would be stupid to sit him in the press box hindering his development. To me it means Moen gets bumped to 4th line duty bumping Armstrong or Whitey. What’s the common consensus on here today?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…all this is putting a serious monkey-wrench into We picking Jones or Mackinnin in the Draft :(

• Habfan10912 says:

Sir, if the bubble burst it’s always best to have a fall back, right?

———————————–

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…this is a time when the ‘tongue-in-cheek icon’ would be invaluable Jim :)

…maybe I’m all starry-eyed before the real games begin, but I feel We will be a solid Team this truncated season

…too solid to be in the running for the top-3 at least :)

39. Psycho29 says:

Sharks offer Gomez a contract?????

40. Harditya says:

I am hoping Gallagher sticks with the big club from now on. Great kid.
    Wait, should I call him a kid? I am 18 myself haha

41. HABZ24 says:

Glad chukky is staying up with the big team, hope only 4 games then send him down, dont wanna over pressure and rush him ala latandress.

GO HABS GO