Leblanc, Tinordi among Habs cuts; Galchenyuk stays

MONTREAL, QUE: JANUARY 15, 2013 -  (John Kenney / THE GAZETTE)

Before taking to the ice for practice at 11 a.m. Friday at the Bell Centre, the Canadiens cut seven players from their roster as they prepare for Saturday’s season opener at the Bell Centre against the Toronto Maple Leafs

Louis Leblanc and Jarred Tinordi, both former first-round draft picks, were sent to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs along with Michael Bournival, Gabriel Dumont, Patrick Holland, Mike Commodore and Frederic St-Denis.

Sticking with the Canadiens is this year’s first-round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher, a fifth-round pick in 2010 who had 10 goals and 10 assists in 36 games with the Bulldogs this season. Also sticking with the Canadiens is forward Mike Blunden, who scored two goals in Thursday night’s scrimmage at the Bell Centre and has seven goals and seven assists in 36 games with the Bulldogs this season.

There are 24 players still with the team, including Petteri Nokelainen, who is injured. The roster limit is 23.

Goaltender Carey Price did not practise Friday after appearing to injure a groin while making a save during the shootout competition following Thursday’s scrimmage. Price said it wasn’t serious and he would be ready to play against the Leafs.

“Don’t worry, Coach, I’ll be there,” Price told Michel Therrien on Friday.

Therrien said Galchenyuk will definitely be in the lineup Saturday night and that Gallagher might only play if centre Tomas Plekanec’s rib injury hasn’t healed properly.

Galchenyuk called Friday the best day of his life.

“It’s crazy what’s happened to me in the last couple of months,” said Galchenyuk, who is expected to play on the second line with captain Brian Gionta and either Plekanec or Lars Eller. “I started producing really well in Sarnia and then we get the gold medal at the world juniors (with the U.S. team) and now playing here in my first NHL game. I couldn’t be happier.”

Said Therrien:  ”We’ll give him a good chance and we’ll see. The more we saw of him the more it was clear he would be here on Saturday night.”

For a photo gallery from Friday’s practice, click here.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

1. AceMagnum says:

I’ve been offline for a few months so I haven’t heard any news regarding this but, is TSN 690 still becoming an all French sports station in the future? I heard Melnick thanking the listeners for “saving us” recently and I was wondering what that meant. Have things changed? Can we expect to be listening to Melnick and the gang in sweet English for years to come on 690?

• J_P says:

My understanding, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, is that TSN 990 was supposed to go french because of Bell’s proposed take over of Astral Media. Had the takeover gone through, I think Bell would have had too many english language stations under their roof. Anyways, the deal was rejected by regulators because Bell would have too much of a monopoly.

2. B says:

Here is hoping for a better start this season. I don’t want to see them lose 7 of their 1st 8 games like last season. Their 1st 8 games this season are against Toronto, Florida, Washington, New Jersey, Winnipeg, Ottawa Buffalo and Ottawa again.

–Go Habs Go!–

• 24 Cups says:

We don’t play any real tough teams, two really decent teams (Wash/Buff) and I believe that 6 of those 8 games are at home.

• B says:

There’s another improvement I want to see. Last season, only the Islanders and Columbus had a worse record at home (and every team won more games at home than the Habs, only16, ouch).

–Go Habs Go!–

Just caught a glimpse of a few earlier comments. Some posters stated that the Habs might go with a Gallagher/Eller/Bourque 3rd line with Bourque playing RW to help offset his crappy performance from last year. Gallagher has played 35 pro games, is totally undersized for the NHL and we now want to play him on his off wing, a position he has never played? Is that a recipe for success? And are we going to do this just to accommodate a inconsistent slacker?

I know the puck hasn’t dropped yet but I don’t like the sound of this.

As well, I have no idea of Prust’s history in terms of playing centre. I say give him a chance as long as he can hold his own at winning faceoffs and still be effective on the PK playing a position he’s not used to seeing he will be going up against the top centres in the conference.

4. Psycho29 says:

On the 4:30 CJAD sportscast; the reporter said she spoke with Subban’s agent Don Meehan, who says there is absolutely no truth to the rumour that contract talks have broken off.

• shiram says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
      Nothing new today on #Habs @PKSubban1 contract talks, says agent Donnie Meehan. Might be less effort to tweet where something IS new

I just got in and heard about the Redden deal. A total win-win situation for both sides.

St Louis gets an experienced Dman who is really hunger. I’m sure he’s learned some lessons over the past few years. Great price, great insurance, good size and best of all he plays left defense.

Redden almost makes up half the money he will lose next season on the Ranger buyout and may even catch a job next season now that he is making low coin. Best of all, he’s with a team that has a reasonable shot at a Cup.

Could you imagine if the Cup final is New York vs St Louis?

6. Harditya says:

Dmitry Kulikov re-signs with Florida for a 2-year, 5 M deal. (2.5 per)

• 24 Cups says:

So using this contract along with the Del Zotto deal, isn’t safe to say that Subban should come in at around 4.5M, maybe 5M if you want to just get it done and not ruin the chances of the Habs making the playoffs?

• J_P says:

I think the del zotto deal is the better comparison. If Subban wants two years at 5.1M per season than I have no idea why its not even done yet. However, I think Subban wants more term and the $5 million/season (or more), which for me is the problem. If he has any other agent he’s already signed. Donny Meehan is definitely any GMs nightmare.

7. shiram says:

Devils have offered Gomez a deal, Darche has not been given an offer yet.

DansLesCoulisses ‏@DLCoulisses
    Nick Kypreos confirme que les Devils ont déposé une offre à Gomez. Le sort de Mathieu Darche – qui doit attendre – lié à Scott Gomez?

• Bripro says:

No mention of what was offered?
      To think, last week I felt sorry for him because it looked like his career was over.
      Now, he’s making so much money…. it’s ridiculous.
      It’s the first time I’ve come full-circle on a player in under a week.

• shiram says:

I don’t think he’ll have more than a one year 1 million deal.
        I’m glad he’s gone from the Habs, and if he can keep his career going all the better for him.
        Think about the Devils side…. lose Parise, gain a Gomez…

• Habilis says:

Agreed. It was one thing to think of Gomez eating our cap from Alaska, it’s another to picture him earning a million more to play somewhere else.

It’s his right and contracts are guaranteed and blah blah, I get all that. But I don’t have to like it.

• longbow says:

I can just imagine how Darche feels. The Gomez nightmare might never end for him.

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

• Habfan10912 says:

I wanted to say something mean about Darche but thought better of it. Gomez won’t be getting top 6 minutes like he was here, that’s for sure.

———————————–

8. jols101 says:

Unrealistic Expectations – 60 people believe Chuckie will score 30 or more goals in 48 games. Give your head a shake guys.

9. motrefan says:

Hi to the good folks on this site. Haven’t posted for three months cause my account was hacked. Jim will recognize me. And secretdragonfly, you must be done reading “A Season in Time.”: How was it?

“If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not rest
    In Flanders Fields”

“May you live in interesting times”

10. RS says:

Safe to assume Galchenyuk plays. He has spot on second line for now.

What about Gallagher? Armstrong has to play against his former team. Does Gallagher take White’s spot?

11. tippytoes says:

Alex Galchenyuk has long been known as Gally94 on twitter. (His 37 K followers will tell you) Brendan Gallagher only started using twitter when he began to play for the Bulldogs with the Gally17 handle. Galchenyuk is therefore entitled to keep the name.

12. Propwash says:

So if Prust starts off slowly, do we call him Rusty Prusty or…?

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

13. rhino514 says:

The team has a shot. I´m curious to see if the team without JM and under MT is less injury-ridden. They may not have the depth to withstand a major injury, plus they have to try and implement a new system without the benefit of any preseason games, and PK may miss the first few. But if they can can play around 500 the first 10 games they will make the playoffs. (Provided, again, if they stay healthy which is uber-important in this short season).
    One reason they will have a good chance; special teams.
    They can end up being one of the top 5 teams in the league on the PP; they could even battle for first. One of the hardest things to have in the NHL is a good PP quarterback, and the habs will have Markov and Kaberle and a good choice among other Dmen to complement them.
    We paid alot for Kaberle, and maybe he is a liability 5 on 5 , but why don´t we enjoy the luxury of having him AND Markov on the PP. We may only have one season to enjoy this tandem, so let´s make the most of it.
    PK wise, Montreal is usually either ok or very good.
    So if we aren´t a disaster 5 on 5 we will be in good shape.

Tonight–

Mtl. Canadiens vs Toronto Leafs alumni game here in Belleville. I will not be coaching tonight!!

15. Kooch7800 says:

Dogs game has sold out the lower bowl.

The new management has done a great job this season.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

16. Cal says:

Steve Begin to Calgary

17. myron.selby says:

Let’s talk about trolls for a minute. We all know who and what they are.

We really need to post a big sign at the top of this site:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Left to their own devices they’ll get hungry and bored and return to their home under some bridge or at least wander off to some other unfortunate site where people pay attention to them.

Think of it this way – replying to a troll is like scratching that itch that won’t let you fall asleep. You know you should ignore it but it just drives you crazy. So you scratch and what happens? It just moves to another spot (or 3 or 4). So please, please, restrain the urge to scratch (sorry reply to) the trolls. It’s in everyone’s best interest.

18. HabsFanMTL says:

if pleks is still hurt i can visualize a line of the three GGG’s. Gio Galy and Gallagher

19. HammerHab says:

can’t wait to see agally play tomorrow….a goal in his first game againt the maple leaves would be awesome!

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

20. jols101 says:

Apron Basu tweeted that Galchenyuk’s Mom, Dad and Sister are driving to Montreal for the Home opener against the Leafs tomorrow night. They didn’t fly because they are bring the 2 dogs as well. What a proud moment for the Galchenyuk family. His Parents must just be beaming with pride.

Apron also tweeted that the boys are calling Galchenyuk “Chuckie”, but he got that info from Gallagher so it is probably just a witty joke from him.

Can’t wait till tomorrow night. Bell Center will be electric. Everything looks great except PK not being in the line up. Hope Galchenyuk has a great game with Pleks and Gio. Would make it a perfect night. Oh ya, hope Price is good to go…

21. Hobie Hansen says:

So with the announcement that Blunden and Gallagher are sticking around for now, is either of them going to get into the game tomorrow night?

That would require Plekanec or someone else to be injured and the lines to be juggled or someone like White or Armstrong to sit. I believe?

• B says:

Blunden and Gallagher have been playing pro hockey (and playing well) since October. They are in game shape. Many Habs have only had less than a week of serious practice since last season. It may not be a bad idea to give a player or two who needs it some more time to come up to speed.

–Go Habs Go!–

Ok, I’ve been watching this for 20 minutes on repeat now and still don’t know how to tie hand wraps.

23. frontenac1 says:

@Dude. While I agree with you for the most part,I would suggest some white russians and herb,to get the karrma going again.Saludos Amigo!

24. Carta-Hab says:

Anyone want to make any predictions on the first game?

1. Who scores the first goal
    2. Points by rookies (The two Gallys)
    3. First fight (you know it will happen)
    5. Final score

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• Rugger says:

1. a Leaf (first Habs goal – Moen)
      2. 2 – both by Gally the Younger.
      3. White
      4. White (bloody nose – see above)
      5. Habs 5-3

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

1. Were getting shutout
      2. none
      3. Prust vs phaneuf
      4. Markov, torn ACL (out for year)
      5. 3 to nothing

• Timo says:

1 – Kaberle (cause Gomer ain’t there)
      2 – 0 for both
      3 – Prust – what else is he here for?
      4 – Markov’s knee
      5 – Leafs by 2

• habstrinifan says:

First goal…… Armstrong assts to Prust and Bourque.
      Points rookies… Galchenyuk 0/Gally 1 and 4 PIMS.
      First fight… will happen period 1 Boullion… yes outta the blue.
      First injury… I hope NONE! But I will Make Mention of My
      Mechanotherapy Misgivings. The fact I use so many
      M’s is coincidental.
      Final Score…Habs 3. Leafs 1.

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Max Pac
      2. 0,0
      3. Prust and some knuclehead. Is Komi playing?
      4. A Hab
      5. 5-2 Montreal

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Psycho29 says:

1. Markov on the PP
      2. Chenny gets the first rookie point
      3. Prust
      4. the cute blonde behind the Leaf bench on a Diaz clearing attempt. (No players injured)
      5. 5-2 Habs

• Cal says:

1. Gionta
      2. 1
      3. Prust and whoever is in front of him.
      4. Price
      5. 4-2 Mtl.

• knob says:

1. Kessel
      2. Alex – 1; Brendan – 0
      3. Prust/Komisarek (Komisarek re-injures shoulder – out for 25 months and cannot be bought out via the compliance buy-out provisions…Leafs continue to suck lol
      4. Price – that tweek turns into a groin pull
      5. 7-1 Habs, just because I really hate Toronto

• junyab says:

1. Who scores the first goal
      Max Pac
      2. Points by rookies (The two Gallys)
      3. First fight
      Prust vs Brown
      4. First injury
      Kadri, broken confidence
      5. Final score
      4-2 Habs

• Luke says:

1. Who scores the first goal – Gorges.
      2. Points by rookies (The two Gallys) – Chuck – 15 (8g/7a), Gally – 11 (6g/4a)
      3. First fight (you know it will happen) – Markov. KHL style.
      4. First injury (sadly I expect something to happen in that regard because of the game) – Phaneuf
      5. Final score – Montreal – 23 Toronto – 7.

25. Stevie.Ray says:

Take this for what it’s worth, but I heard the Blades were using Dietz as trade bait before the deadline, and also Thrower but nobody wanted him. But this shouldn’t be too surprising as basically everyone on the Blades was available.

• Stormin says:

I find that hard to believe especially with the Blades hosting the memorial cup, and thus an automatic berth in the tourney, I do not follow WHL as much as USHL or the Q and NCAA but I will make some inquiries. If that has any truth it would mean they are problematic or have major attitude problems, maybe I should start watching the series on Sportsnet about the blades.I find it hard to believe, where did you here this news..why would they gut there D when they get an automatic bid into the Memorial Cup..

• Stevie.Ray says:

My friend works for the blades. The Blades are awful and they needed a lot of help up front and were willing to trade pretty much anyone to get better.

26. myron.selby says:

Someone mentioned that TSN was saying that Meehan and Bergevin are discussing an 8 year term. I can’t find it on their website so I’d love a link to that article if it exists.

This is the only term I’d consider if I were Bergevin other than the 2 year contract. With 2 years you get to see what his upside really is. Then you sign him to 6 (or more) for potentially much bigger bucks. But it protects you against the possibility that he doesn’t improve as much as we all think he can. This way you lock him up until he’s 31.

People talk about 4 year or 6 year terms. This would bring PK to free agency at 27 or 29 – right in the middle of his absolute prime. So we’d get him through his development then get to cheer for him in someone else’s jersey for the best years of his career.

No thanks. I suspect this is the holdup far more than the dollars. As GM I would only talk about 2 or 8 and nothing in between. And frankly the 8 is a hell of a gamble.

27. mark-ID says:

Stubbs just tweeted Price will be debuting a new mask tomorrow. WOW!
    How many masks will this guy have worn by now. More then most goalies would go through in a career I bet. He’s been sporting a new mask in training camp….I figured that would be the new one he would start season with. I guess not.

28. habsfanincalgary says:

And so starts another season…against the Laffs…again!

Some general comments:

- I don’t think the Habs were as bad as people made them out to be last year considering the amount of games lost due to injury.
    - I’m hoping that MT’s game plan includes a little more offence and improvement of the shootout. I believe had the shootout record been reversed last year, they may have squeaked into the post season.
    - I’m curious to see if the #1 line can have a repeat performance. The #2 can compete with other teams, and the grit added with the off season moves will be good.
    - AK27 got signed for $1M by FLA today. Reading through various TSN comments, I have to agree, this is good value. Expect nothing but help on the PP and in the shootout, areas that the team struggled with last year. I’m interested to see how he will do this year in the sunshine state…

TSN had the team finishing out of the playoffs. I don’t think they are in any ways stacked with the offensive talents of PIT or NYR. If the offence comes alive this season, the defence is stable and Price plays like that of 2 seasons ago, anything is possible.

GO HABS!

• bleedhabs81 says:

I think my favorite part of the outlook posts is the giant list of IFs we all include.

If the team scores
      If the team defends
      If the goalie is good…. then anything is possible.

When I read these I think “well, duh”. That statement is true for all teams. lol

29. The Dude says:

So we have two expired veteran Dmen who make like 10 million per” one
    legger and a welfare case” ,then we have two undersize swiss KHL’ers and then we have a 37 year old 5’6″ cube on D AND Gorges “$4 mill and 3 goals per” AND NO SUBBAN!!! This franchise continues to be a JOKE! GUARANTEE THAT PRICE’S GROIN IS GONNA GET ATTACKED BY THE LAFF’S ,payback for Remier and no D on Montreal can stop it.

30. tippytoes says:

Gally and Galler

31. myron.selby says:

I can’t get over the number of people who think Markov isn’t going to be our best d-man this year. Even if PK signs Markov will still be #1.

Before he went down with these freak injuries, he was Lidstrom light. He was one of the all time great power play quarterbacks and took care of business in his own end without any fuss (think Serge Savard – no need to lay people out, just always get the puck). His first pass is always crisp and on the tape and he reads the ice as well as anyone.

My fearless prediction is that he will be strong and healthy all year. If they can find someone to play the right point on the power play who can one time it accurately with power we’ll have one of the top power plays again.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Best pokechecker in the league.

May not sound impressive, but he can stop oddman rushes before they get to the blue line. I once saw a 4 on 1 where he was the only man back. He had just crossed the blueline skating backwards, when all of a sudden he bolted straight up the ice. I yelled “what are you doing!”, as he was essentially abandoning our goalie for a 4 on 0. But then, he picked off the pass and turned it into a oddman rush for us. He read that pass before anyone, and not just prevented a scoring chance but initiated one for us.

• 44har48 says:

Sports are a “what have you done for me lately” kind a thing, but I agree with you completely. IF this guy stays healthy, he is light years better than anyone else we have. His intelligence, experience, and leadership on the ice are huge assets that make up for his inability to cover large amounts of ice quickly anymore. I know a lot of folks have written him off, and have turned the reigns over to PK, but his guy is our best when he is healthy.

• Habilis says:

I don’t think you will find a group of fans more willing to be proven wrong than the Markov doubters. Everyone hopes he’s back, it’s just hard to see it right now, given recent history.

• nunacanadien says:

Markov is indeed Lidstrom lite, but even more lighter than Lidstrom in that Markov never pushes any player away from Price or in fact anyone in front of the crease. Markov is a great shot blocker but honestly, do we need another shot blocker? And we pay him how much to not play ala Gomez! We need d-men who can protect Price and the net in this Crash The Net NHL, just to remind you fans, this is the approved style of play after the last lockout and no new style of play was mentioned after this lockout so I would imagine the NHL is still sticking to its rule changes to allow players to basically crash the net. What Montreal doesn’t have are d-men and forwards who can protect the net! That is why we lost against Boston for God’s Sake!

• helluva habs fan says:

I’m with you bud. Markov’s biggest asset is his brain. As long as he has a mediocre knee, he’ll be fine.
      I hope PK signs because I think he could learn a lot from Markov over the course of the season. Markov is so efficent with his play, he accomplishes a lot out there without looking like he’s working hard. This IMO is what PK needs to learn to elevate his game to the next level.

32. 44har48 says:

I really thought I would be indifferent on opening night after 4 times in 20 years, but I’m actually starting to get the chills up my spine today.

It’s getting close boys!

• New says:

Should have had the flu shot.

• citizenSanto says:

have a tequila shot instead. it’s better for you.

—————————————
        Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

• bleedhabs81 says:

I thought I was so excited that I had butterflies in my stomach.

Turns out my stomach was just upset and now I have the runs. That makes more sense

Are Subban camp and Habs even talking or having any talked scheduled?

34. habfan53 says:

Well with Redden I got the team and money right just thought Gomer would have signed first.
    With that and a $1.50 I can get a coffee at Tim’s

35. TommyB says:

I’m always pumped for opening night of any season, but this year my excitement has gone up a notch. And it doesn’t get much better than Habs/Laffs at the Bell Centre. Not to mention the matinee on TSN with the Penguins and Flyers. Remember the bad blood between them during last year’s playoffs? Should be fun.

So many questions to be answered for the Habs this year and they will have to answer them quickly. No time for excuses. No time to waste waiting for the team to gel. I think 6 to 8 games in and we’ll know exactly who we are and what we have. I’m loving the addition of the hardnose guys, and can’t wait for any one (or more) of them to grab a dance partner tomorrow night.

Nice to see the Habs break from tradition and start the season with two rookies up front. Two rookies who are known for their offense. Something the Habs badly needed for far too long a time. The prospect of some nifty goal scoring backed up by some muscle…wow…is this really the Habs? Someone pinch me. Got the pizza guy on speed dial, the beer in the fridge, and the deep fryer on standby for the wings. Hockey night in Canada is hockey night at TommyB’s. Drop the puck!

36. aemarchand11 says:

Bah, i bought a Autographed #94 Galchenyuk Jersey from Frameworth sports…. Now he’s number 27… Not like I will wear the jersey but i wonder if thatll affect potential resale down the road……..

37. Stevie.Ray says:

So….?
    Max – DD – Cole
    A-Gally – Pleks – Gio
    B-Gally – Eller – Bork
    Moen – Prust – Armstrong
    Noke, White

Is Prust going to play center? B-Gally reminds me of a mix between Gio and Cammy. He’s a stud. Can’t wait to see him play.
    It’s nice to finally see some depth. Once Noke is healthy, B-Gally could be sent down maybe, but it’s nice to have those otions.

38. Stormin says:

Petr Svoboda last 18 year old to play for Canadiens, I think I remember GM Savard took him into his house for his first season although i may be wrong it may have been a player like Carbonneau or Robinson, but anyways any suggestions as to who takes Gally under there protective wing or into there home. I am thinking Gorges or Gionta.

39. Loonie says:

I’m very excited about the way the team has been put together to start the season.

Gallagher presumably on the third line creates a lot of offensive potential in the top 9.

This team will apparently play a more aggressive style and allow Price and his defensemen to make plays to hold leads. It’s clear that’s the goal.

It seems that Therrien and Bergevin will allow the young players and offensive first players to make mistakes and encourage them to keep attacking.

I hope I’m not wrong because that’s going to make things very exciting if true.

PS. Take that you haters who think I’m hating on everything Bergevin and Therrien do.

40. Chris1138 says:

Galchenyuk to wear No. 27

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

41. Steeltown Hab says:

Thoughts on Gallagher getting a shot to play with Eller and Bourque?

It could give us a competitive 3rd line. If Galchenyuk is kept past 5 games Gallagher will eventually be sent back down I’d think though.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• arcosenate says:

Love Gallagher, he goes to the net, unlike some of his larger, meat eating co-workers.

• Stormin says:

That it is why i hope Therrien kept Gallagher, to play and not sit. I see Prust centering Moen and Armstrong on the fourth line which will send White to the press box with Blunden and Weber.

• Bim says:

Seen this movie before…Galley will not be kept past 5 games. MB’s too old school. Gallagher deserves a shot. Kind of surprised at LeBlanc not sticking though. Something missing there…more passion needed maybe??? Tinordi too. What’s up with him? I would have thought it would have been easy trying to crack a mediocre defense. Things aren’t sounding too good so far. Good thing this season is only 48 games and the number 1 pick is just around the corner. Fore!

• Andy and the habs says:

From 5mn to 800K the same year. He will be playing for 800K and Making 5mn. How bad can it be signing him. Good move for the Blues.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the update. Mackenzie had pencilled Redden in as first to be signed between him and Gomez. Redden has put in his time in the minors so we should wish him well. He went down and accpeted his demotion.

• arcosenate says:

I do wish him well, but i wish more that someone would pay me the $800k chump change.

I still have trouble with $800k being minimum wage basically.

• BrianSkrudland says:

Damn! Now that Redden is officially slotted to return to NHL action, I’ll have to completely revise plans for my hockey pool.

Do I take him before Karlsson or try to pick him up as a sleeper pick?

• Habilis says:

800k is more than the minimum, right? So we can assume that there was at least a few teams willing to sign him.

Crazy that the guy could have been playing NHL hockey the last few years, if not for his contract.

• Newf_Habster says:

I am happy for Redden. He was once one of the best D-men in NHL when he was with the Senators. I sure hope he will do real well in St. Louis!

42. habfan53 says:

Funny that there has been no offer sheets to PK from the other 29 clubs. Wost case would be like what Philly offered Shea Weber

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

43. Habilis says:

Yakupov, Dumba, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko. All four have made their respective NHL clubs. Morgan Rielly got cut today.

When was the last time 4 players from the most recent draft made the NHL?

44. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Was checking out NHL fights this morning and saw that Prust vs Chris Neil fight from last April. Prust handled himself respectably against Neil who is one tough Hombre. Remember Neil vs Chara last year?Neil had the takedown and was cocked to pop him one and then disengaged.I was hoping he would have drilled him for Patches. Anyway ,off to the Saloon to meet the Lads.Saludos!

45. Stormin says:

Now lets see how the season starts which I believe will set the feel and tone for further PK negotiations, how much he misses the game the fans and the camaraderie of his team mates may just dictate how long it takes to get PK to either sign a 2 year 7M deal or a 6 year 27M deal. I believe Montreal will hold firm with PK as will Colorado and Dallas with their RFA’s O’Reilly and Benn , after this lockout just ending I do not see any offer sheets from other teams disrupting the RFA process. If PK holds strong to the rumored high salary and term demands this could be a dangerously long holdout especially if Habs start the season on a roll..

The trade i would consider for PK would be Flyers Couturier, or Columbus first round pick

46. ed lopaz says:

after Jordan Staal was drafted second overall by the Penguins he came to camp as an 18 year old and many were not sure whether he should make the team or , if he did, what role he would play.

it was Therrien that went to Pens management and convinced them to keep Staal.

then Therrien played Staal on the power play and gave him a lot of responsibility.

Staal scored 29 goals in 81 games as an 18/19 year old.

(from RDS)

• Loonie says:

And it’s worth noting that Staal was barely a ppg player at the junior level if I’m not mistaken.

Much more upside with Galchenyuk.

He did have Crosby though.

• ed lopaz says:

Galchenyuk will produce many more points – for sure.

I mentioned this because Therrien has “experience” in a very similar situation and he must believe he made the right call with Staal – who just signed 10 years worth of millions with the Hurricanes.

So this is Galchenyuk’s fate as well – he will stay, I believe, even if he stumbles at first during these 5 games.

47. krob1000 says:

A not so long time from now on a pp not so far away (Cue the Empire theme music)….”Galexy” and “Gallaga” …the “time and space invaders” will be wreaking havoc on weak netminded goalers…..
    Happen it will….

48. habstrinifan says:

My left pinkie toe and my right BIG toe are tingling! And when that combination of big toe and pinkie toe tingles a habs gets a contract. Or I could be having a stroke.

Just saying!

49. L Elle says:

I was reading CharlieHodgeFans’ comment below, or was it another thread? ;) And it’s true. Most people at the Bell Centre last night had never been there before. How sad really. Even though I have a “very good” job, I can’t afford to go either unless I sit in the nosebleeds.

Funny, as a teenager with my own money, I could sit anywhere on the ice. Last night was the first time since the Forum, I had to wear my coat because I was sitting so close to the ice. Unless someone gives me tickets, no way I can budget that.

I took a chance since I park my car 1/2 a block from the Bell Centre. By the time I got there, people in the lineup had already gone in, so I just walked right in. Had there been a lineup, I would have gone straight home as I was already an ice cube when I arrived.

I think if people had known it would be that easy, many more would have shown up, as well, if it wasn’t the coldest day of the year so far.

50. crazyhabsfan says:

Is there a way to get email updates to follow up on posts that you comment on?
    I find it hard to go back through to find old posts..etc..

51. habstrinifan says:

OK so seems Therrien is gonna keep Galchenyuk. No way he doesnt get top six duties. So here’s a thought.

Subban and Eller (otherwise where does Eller really fit) for a big veteran D-MAN.

I dont want Subban traded but I could see that playing out.

• commandant says:

I don’t move a 21 year old D and 22 year old Centre for a veteran.

Not now, not with a 28th place club last season.

Build this core properly for a long time, and Subban should be 1 core piece and Eller might be a second. If you move Subban you gotta get a young core piece back IMO.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habstrinifan says:

I like them both but I have huge doubts re MB’s and MT’s intention re Subban and I dont think Eller is a Therrien type guy and it would suck if we prolong his ‘development’. Eller needs to be a top 6 forward or get moved. He is not a 3rd/4th line player. And by veteran D, I mean a player with many years left. Too lazy to research a name now… would have to be a team which is looking for younger players. I do see your point re HABS being also a rebuilding team.

• ed lopaz says:

Why isn’t Eller a Therrien type guy? because he’s a hard worker?
          And nothing wrong with Eller playing 48 games as a 3rd line center, at least he’s playing center, which is his position of choice.

Moving Subban would be the last thing I would do.

• habstrinifan says:

Eller is a very complex skater/player on the ice. Harness him too much and you get zilch. But I could be 100% wrong on this call… re it being a tough fit with Therrien. It’s pure gut instinct surmising.

Edit: And I don’t mean interaction after a weak long camp.

• Greg says:

Subban and Eller are serious pieces. I can’t think of a D-man I would accept for them (Karlsson?). Keep in mind that Gionta and Cole aren’t getting any younger. So Eller is only 22. Think is Cole’s last contract, so if Eller sticks around and gets better… he’ll have his top 6 spot in a couple of years.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I logged in at work to call you a tool bud. Eller isn’t a Therrien type guy? A big center who has skill, can grind, and has a top notch work ethic?

and WTF does a vet d-man do for us now if we lose PK and Eller??

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

52. habfan53 says:

See Kovalev signed with Florida for 1 mill. How can they go wrong, They are well below the cap will give them depth on PP and shoot-outs. He’ll probably get 8-12 in the shortened season .
    Sounds like Jagr’s reentry from last year.

53. durocher says:

MaxPower-DD-Cole
    Gally27-Pleks-Gio
    Bourque-Eller-Gally73
    Moen-Prust-Arms
    Pressbox: Blunden, White

If Gally73 is sent down after his audition:

MaxPower-DD-Cole
    Gally27-Pleks-Gio
    Bourque-Eller-Moen
    Prust-White-Arms
    Pressbox: Blunden
    (First call-ups: LL, Dumont)

In either case, it seems to me that Nokia is expendable when he is healthy.

I am concerned about our 6-7 D. Diaz and Kaberle arguably have some offensive abilities, but they are soft. After Gill left, we do not have a big defenseman to clear out the crease and take up space on the PK. We need to address that hole on the blueline. I wish, as others have said, that we took a shot at Fistric. Diaz and Weber for Fistric would have been perfect.

Gorges-PK (assuming he is signed)
    Markov-Emelin
    Cube-Diaz/Kaberle
    Weber

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’m hoping they go with Bourque on the right side of Eller. He is a natural RW correct? I feel that was one of the issues with him last year. Came into a pretty dysfunctional situation and was taken out of his comfort zone on the ice. Not every player, especially a goal scorer, can switch positions effortlessly.

54. commandant says:

J-F Chaumont ‏@JFChaumont

#Habs: “On ne parle pas d’une audition de 5 matchs pour Galchenyuk. On ne veut pas lui mettre de la pression.” Michel Therrien.

Sounds like this isn’t a 5 game tryout, its a 48 game one.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Propwash says:

My fear is if he doesn’t produce as much as people expect and throw him under the bus, we lose an extremely talented player.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but next season he’s eligible to play in the AHL?

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• commandant says:

No, not eligible for AHL next season, OHL or NHL.

One last thing to consider… habs have 48 scheduled games… Sarnia approximately 30 left in the season right now.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Andy and the habs says:

I may be wrong but I have a feeling what destroys a prospect is a combination of Pressure from fans and his confidence. When a kid’s confidence is fragile then he should not be rushed. Galchenyuk is different. He is mature for his age and can handle the pressure. Or it seems to be the case anyway.

I watched closely during during WJC. He was put in the second line and this didn’t bother him at all. Perhaps USA’s management knew over all it would be best over all to put him in the second line knowing he can handle it. I am hypercritically speaking but it was the only way I could explain why he was not used in the top line.

• Stormin says:

The only Galchenyuk on the ice in Sarnia anymore this year will be his Dad.

• Mattyleg says:

Stubbs interpreted it as ‘maybe not even five.’

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Well I guess I should sell my club eseats for Sarnia vs the Fronts…happy for the kid…but now we don;t get to see him here

• Carta-Hab says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
      Therrien not committed to 5-game stay for Galchenyuk. He’ll be studied minute by minute (my words, not his)

I am interpreting this to mean that the coaching staff will be watching him constantly, and he may be sent down BEFORE 5 games depending on how he plays. Kind of hard to pin down exactly what he means, but he is not a lock to stay up.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• Bill J says:

I read somewhere that NHL teams aren’t keen to burn a year off UFA on a shortened season, I dunno. I think play the kid, perfect scenario to get the butterflies out.

Then next season, he will be ready at 19 as opposed to “butterflies at 19″

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! A whole different interpretation from the post above.

• commandant says:

I took it the other way as I don’t think you’d want to evaluate a kid on 1 or 2 games… too small a sample.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Carta-Hab says:

The way I view it is that every single game played this season is important….including those first five. If for some reason Galchenyuk does falter and causes more problems then good (give ways leading to goals, etc) I guess he could be sent down earlier. No point in sitting him. He either plays or he is sent down, simple as that.

That said, I don’t think he is the type of player to cause the type of problems I just mentioned.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

55. likehoy says:

glad to hear the gal pals made the team.

I’ve stated my case on rushing young players but have come to grips with Galchenyuk staying with the big team. Sarnia probably isn’t going to do much this year so that also impacts on the decision. As of this minute, I truly hope the kid can have a decent year with Montreal. I’ll be following the Bob Dylan decree – Don’t Look Back. He should fly out of the gate so that’s not an issue. The real test will come at the half way point in the season but the fact it’s only 48 games should help.

As for Gallagher, it might be a bit too early for him. He really hasn’t set the AHL on fire and could use lots of pro experience to help overcome and compensate his lack of size. If he stays and gets decent minutes then it might work out. If he sits, or gets infrequent shifts, then it’s a really bad move. This has always been a problem for Montreal as they never seem to have any decent depth in the system.

Question – Who is going to centre the 4th line on Saturday night? White, who doesn’t have any real pro experience at the spot, or Dumont who is 5’9″? It’s now or never for Dumont seeing it’s his 3rd year in Hamilton and he has absolutely no competition for the job outside of maybe White.

• ed lopaz says:

Dumont was cut.

if he can stay healthy, I like White at center, actually.

• commandant says:

Prust played Centre in the scrimmage, don’t be surprised if he’s the 4th line centre.

Gallagher – Eller – Bourque
        Armstrong – Prust – Moen

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• mark-ID says:

Here’s a question with your third line…..isn’t Gallagher right handed….if so, it is more likely that Bourque might be playing left wing again. I believe it has been discussed that he plays better on his off wing(right)

• Cal says:

Bourque should play right wing. Placing him on the left side he is out of his depth and will stink like last year. Habs have to give their players a chance to succeed.

• commandant says:

Bourque looked like Crap on the wrong wing… absolute crap, last year.

this was a problem i saw with Cole in his disaster of a season in Edmonton.. .they tried him at LW for 2 months, before finally putting him back at RW and getting some production and trading him.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Blondie says:

That sounds quite likely. I like the looks of them too. :)

• jedimyrmidon says:

Looking at Gallagher’s numbers (i.e. hasn’t set the AHL on fire) can be deceptive. He’s probably second on the team in scoring and was leading for most of the season. The Bulldogs are terrible this year once again, but if you remove some of the players and put them on another team, I’m sure their numbers would be quite respectable.

Also, his numbers are similar to those Jaden Schwartz, a highly-regarded prospect and his linemate at the WJCs. Not saying he’s as good, but both are on bad teams, and both have similar numbers. That’s gotta count for something.

• bwoar says:

White is 2 years older than Dumont, and still hasn’t set his place in stone (yes, injuries have been a factor). I wouldn’t close the book on Dumont yet even if he finishes in Hamilton this year.

“thoroughbred”

• HardHabits says:

Galchenyuk, if he can play LW effectively would be a major boon to the Habs as in the past 10 years the Habs haven’t been able to have 2nd line of any significance for any extended period of time. It also allows the Habs to have very decent 3rd and 4th lines.

Gallagher. 2 smurfs is company. 3 is TV series called SMurfs in Habland. Gallagher is Gionta’s replacement when he gets traded. Gallagher needs to be patient. Mind you if Gionta gets injured the Habs have a replacement.

Dumont is a career AHLer. I don’t even consider him as a viable replacement in case of injury.

• Steeltown Hab says:

How do you figure Dumont is a career AHLer? Has the grit and skill set to play 4th line and potentially 3rd line minutes. Didn’t look out of place in his small stint with the habs last yr and has been a real leader in Hamilton. Watch hockey than make comments.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• likehoy says:

Gallagher can be sent down at any time so why not keep him on the team for now?

we’ve done this with Max, LL, SK74..

Rookies normally hit a mid-season wall when the games get packed in and the games are more important… but there’s no mid-season so maybe these guys will be flying with confidence through the 48 game sprint.

Ryan White will make the team, he’s going to benefit the most playing with Prust, Armstrong, Moen.. he’ll be a loose canon out there and that’s what we need.

57. “Goaltender Carey Price did not practise Friday after appearing to injury a groin while making a save during the shootout competition following Thursday’s scrimmage”. I had to hold my breath to read that.

Looking forward to see what Gally 1 and 2 can bring to the table in regular season action.

Enjoy the season everyone!

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

58. joeybarrie says:

WHO SIGNS GOMEZ???????

59. commandant says:

Max V looks at how the Red Wings are managing to avoid the 2nd contract problem that many teams are being faced with and negotiating the cap this way.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

24 players on the roster! plus Subban if he signs.

So is it Commodore back to Hamilton if PK comes on board??
    And what is this rumor about Blunden on wavers???

61. mark-ID says:

What’s the story on Blunden? I am hearing conflicting reports saying both he was put on waivers and that he remains with the team……

• commandant says:

After being put on waivers, the Habs can keep him on the team. He doesn’t need to be sent down right away.

He is eligble to be sent to the AHL at any time in the next 30 days, without having to clear waivers again.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• mark-ID says:

Got it, thanks Ben.

• ed lopaz says:

commandant, what is your solution for the Subban deal?

I would be interested to know how you think this will resolved.

• Habfan10912 says:

We should have an “Ask Ben” segment, huh Ed?

———————————–

• commandant says:

I think you need to go 2 years at 4.26 (10K more than Kaberle… 2nd highest D on the team) or go 6 years at 5.5 (less than Markov).

I don’t want a 4 year deal.

Thats what I’d give him, but its apparently more than Bergevin is offering.

Remember when we compare to Price/MaxPac’s 2nd “bridge contract”

Price got his bridge deal after the 2010 season and playoffs, he had much to prove.

Max Pac got his deal after his first good season… and it was just 14 goals. He was also coming off a major injury and had that question.

Overall PK subban as a Dman has only slightly more games than Max Pac had at the time of signing his second contract. PK has more career goals… way more assists and points… played the most minutes on the team last year… was +9 playing against top lines for a 28th based club.

Sign him and pay him, he’s our best D.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

Can they retract the waivers if someone claims him?

———————————–

62. geo_habsgo says:

Would love to see Gallagher get a regular spot on a line with Eller and Bourque with Prust White and Armstrong being the guys cycling in and out of the lineup as needed. I’ll take potential and high skill over too much grit.

63. mrhabby says:

i was really hoping Tinordi would stick. After the top 4 on defence.
    it gets weak.

markov
    subban
    georges
    emelin or kaberle.

64. habstrinifan says:

Called again! Gallagher and Blunden. And not a johnny come lately call either. Check the archives if in doubt.

I have no definitive ‘personal take’ for Galchenyuk yet… and so have simply read the discussion on him without commenting.. He is top 3 draft choice pedigree and therefore lots to be said for keeping him period. But also lots to be said for just a look see and return.

No veteran in camp way and above him for top 6 so ok either way with me. But if kept must play big minutes in my opinion and only on top 6.

I still am keeping my 3rd line as Bourque/Armstrong/Prust with Gallagher making frequent and extended cameo appearances. This will be the tempo setting push back; timely scoring; gritty without penalty; line.

Eller cannot be on 3rd line else, I will say again, we are farting around determining his true potential if that happens.

Look for Blunden to supercede White.

• bwoar says:

Agree with you on White/Blunden (wait, wasn’t Blunden on waivers??), but Eller is the 3rd best centre on the team. Where else would you put him if Galchenyuk stays?

“thoroughbred”

• habstrinifan says:

Eller could play some 3rd but WE MUST give him top 6 chances too.I dont want to get killed here.. and I still have my big comment piece to write on Gionta, but as a HABS FAN I want Eller to be groomed to be replacing Gionta ‘eventually’.

• habstrinifan says:

Yes but he wasnt claimed (deadline was today i think.. we were lucky). The posters like Commandant and others who know this stuff explained the entire process in earlier posts. Me.. I was just saying he deserves a spot and will do well.

• bwoar says:

I’ll like to see Blunden back with the big club. I like White but I suspect his style will do him in sooner rather than later.

We’ll have to disagree on Eller, I don’t see him being anything other than a centre, and definitely not replacing Gionta. If he shows the ability, he may earn those top six minutes though. I’m still not convinced he can do it, plus, he’ll have to cut down on the bad penalties.

“thoroughbred”

Must say Trin, your shoulder gets a good work out here at HI/O. :)

65. habsfan0 says:

On board VIA Toronto-Montreal train.Don’t see any Maple Leafs on this train.

IMHO none of these cuts was surprising.

66. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anyone know who scored in the scrimmage last night?

Also, is Gallagher expected to play or be in the press box? Though I like giving him a shot, not going to do him much good to be in the press box or on a bottom line. Though Bourque – Eller – Gallagher would be a good third line that could pop a few. Just hope he gets some minutes if he’s playing.

67. kmachabs27 says:

Lets fire out some possible line comboss……
    MP-DD-Cole
    Gally-Pleky-Gio
    Bourque-Eller-Prusty?
    Arms-white-Moen?

68. kirkiswork says:

The old management never would have given the kids a chance.
    Very refreshing to say the least.

GOHABSGO

69. RobertAlanFord says:

Well hockey seems to be alive and well in MTL. No surprise about Leblanc and Tinordi. Leblanc, to me, was the only one who could bump Gally out of a shot at the lineup tomorrow night. No harm in letting the kid play couple games and giving him a fair chance to prove himself. Honestly, he’s probably one of the few who are actually in game-shape.

70. shiram says:

Guess that’s it for Commodore and the NHL, well for this season anyways.

71. homerbowen says:

Good news I hope they both stick

72. Cal says:

PK last. Let him fester.

73. The Jackal says:

Luckily he is both, so you can carry on.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

74. K-hab25 says:

Hey the Price hater came out for the new season. By the way Price won his very first play-off series, with a game 7 shutout. How your Blues doin these days. I heard they’re pretty good.

75. K-hab25 says:

Man you’re a nice guy when you’re aren’t talking about Price or Latendresse. :-) You’ve made me feel like an a** now.

76. Blondie says:

I still like “Suds” for Gallagher.

77. JohnBellyful says:

I see a day in the not too distant future — and this has nothing to do with eating most of a ham sandwich before seeing fungus on the crust — when Galchenyuk will centre a trio that has Gallagher and the fleet-footed Kristo as his wingers, and it shall be christened the Gally-G-Whiz line. Verily.
    Galchenyuk will become such a powerful presence in the league — a G force, if you will — that ultimately he will be known simply by his initial.

78. Blondie says:

Haha, same here – first thing I thought of.

79. Bripro says:

Same here! I got a visual of him with a wooden jaw, skating around the ice with a machete instead of a hockey stick.

80. Bripro says:

Not just G.
    But you said it. G-Force.

81. JohnBellyful says:

Not with everyone on this site. For some, it’s often Hope springs a leak.

82. citizenSanto says:

Sadly, some think Hope is a four letter word.
    waitaminute…. ah forget it.

—————————————

83. HabFab says:

Caught that too, did you? :D

84. Ron says:

Hahahaha :D nice try boys but not the case… I know Yeats

85. HabFab says:

No names please but there have been others who are no longer active.

86. HabFab says:

@Ron. Then you know that Yeats was just one of his personalities. Sybil was my nickname for him.

I thought I coined the nickname Sybil. HF you better stop ripping off my material.

88. HabFab says:

Let us go with great minds…
    Do you remember the guy who claimed to be a RCMP Sgt and was threatening everyone who disagreed with him plus sending them nasty e-mails? I called him Sgt Diddler of the NWMP :)

the _guru_

90. Chris says:

I had a reply, but it really wasn’t worth it. There’s no point.

91. Un Canadien errant says:

I have to agree with Chris. There is business attire that is appropriate for her job, and this isn’t it. The picture she uses on Twitter would be appropriate if she was pursuing a career as a model.