Leblanc, Beaulieu will be in lineup for Habs against Penguins

LouisLeblanc

Canadiens first-round draft picks Louis Leblanc and Nathan Beaulieu will be in the lineup Wednesday when the Canadiens play the Penguins in Pittsburgh (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Leblanc was called up from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs late Monday afternoon and Beaulieu was recalled on Sunday after playing the night before against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Penguins lead the Eastern Conference with 70 points, 11 points more than the fourth- place Canadiens. The Habs won their last battle with the Penguins, a 3-2 victory at the Bell Centre on Nov. 23 when Tomas Plekanec’s line kept Sidney Crosby off the scoresheet.

“We’re all aware of the challenge that awaits us there,” coach Michel Therrien said.

The Canadiens will have to play a really tight game because if they give the Penguins time and space they’ll hurt you, Therrien said.

“We’ll have to follow the game plan to the letter,” the coach added.

It’s the second time that Leblanc has been called up this season. He practised Tuesday on a line centred by Michaël Bournival with Travis Moen.

“It feels good,” Leblanc said after practice about being back with the Habs. “It was a long wait. You never know with the injuries up here and whatnot. I’m happy to be back and it’s always fun to be in Montreal.”

Leblanc, who has nine goals and 11 assists in 36 games this season with the Bulldogs, said he feels his season has been going well.

“I’m contributing offensively and also improving my defensive game,” Leblanc said. “Getting better on the (penalty kill). Just little details of the game that I never really paid attention to before in my career and it’s for sure helping me out.”

Carey Price will start in net for the Canadiens in Pittsburgh.

Alex Galchenyuk, who is out with a fractured hand, skated on his own for the second day Tuesday. Ryan White (upper-body injury) also skated, but Therrien said the injury has been slow to heal.

“We’re still talking about weeks,” the coach said.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-Brière-Bourque
Moen-Bournival-Leblanc
Parros

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Beaulieu-Gorges
Murray-Bouillon

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Penguins preview, NHL.com

Precision engineering for Habs, Canadiens.com

Pacioretty and Desharnais The Odd Couple, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Canadiens scouting report (video), pittsburghpenguins.com

Latest Penguins news, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Martin Brodeur at home in Montreal (video), NHL.com

1. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I thought I was going to have to choose between Genie’s match and the game tonight, but looks like she’s on right after. Perfect…here’s hoping for two wins!

2. gumper says:

Regarding MB’s plan to build through the draft, it really is the only way to lay the foundation of a team these days. The other ways to improve are through trades and FA signings. Realistically, despite all the far-fetched, far-flung ideas bandied about here, we are unlikely to improve through the trade route. In most cases trades turn out to be a 50-50 or 60-40 proposition, and with what we have to trade away, I can’t see how any magic can happen via that route. In general, GMs are not dumb enough to give up quality for mediocrity, though it does happen. Free agent signings offer more promise, but I have to say, based on Bergevin’s short track record, I’m a bit concerned that we aren’t likely to improve that way either. This past summer’s signings were pretty much a bust. That leaves us relying entirely on the draft, and so largely on Trevor Timmins. Though I know Timmins is well-liked, and generally successful in his position I feel like I have to point out that he has been with the club for 12 years now, and we’re still waiting for that foundation of young talent to be firmly established. Maybe many of the pieces are there now, but shouldn’t 12 years be enough time to build a contender not just lay in the basic pieces of a foundation?

Having said all this, I realize that Trevor can’t prevent trades like the McDonagh for Gomez one, and that he doesn’t have final say in who gets drafted, and that drafting in the middle of the pack doesn’t give you as much to work with (though Detroit seems to manage it). Still it’s one more piece of the puzzle that perhaps deserves some due consideration. Something is definitely not right with how this team is being developed, otherwise, we would not be further away from a cup in 2014 than we were in 1994.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“These days”

I was young when Frank Mahovolich came to Montreal (who went the other way), so I wouldn’t have appreciated the impact that trade had?

Gumper — or anyone — remember?

• gumper says:

I think Mickey Redmond was the main piece going the other way…to Detroit I think. That was a fantastic trade for the CH, and had a huge impact, bringing a couple of cups our way. I just think it’s harder to find examples of trades with that magnitude of impact “these days” as in the past decade or two. Anyway, if MB could cook one up like that I’d raise him to the level of sainthood.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
        Mark Twain

• hansolo says:

Guy Charron, Bill Collins and Mickey Redmond.

Here’s a website for that stuff:

• B says:

I remembered Mickey Redmond (who went on to a couple of 50 goals seasons in Detroit before having to retire early) but had to look up the other 2 guys who went with him (one of whom went on to lead the Washington Capitals in scoring for a couple of seasons).

–Go Habs Go!–

• New says:

I was pretty baffled. They sent Mickey Redmond away (+ Collins and Charron – looked it up). Redmond, Lemaire, and Grant were three of my favs and two were now gone. Worse Grant was racking them up for Minny and now they threw away Redmond as well – he was the only exciting winger they had? Then he traded Backstrom to LA for nothing – which helped land Lafleur they say.

To beat all that Montreal appeared to be declining. They were moving a bunch of Canadian National Team guys in or out. Boston knew how to score, with a real powerhouse. Nothing was going right, except for Boston. The team was losing. Tremblay (JC) was too soft for a NHL D. Richard was too little and too old. Cournoyer was a powerplay specialist, all the media said so. Big Jean’s best days were behind him and Peter Mahovolich was immature. Myre was the goalie of the future but no one was taking Roggie’s job away. The kids were young, the vets too old and slow – some were 30!

Meanwhile in the west Bownan was making a mockery of hockey by centering a close checking and trapping game on an old goalie Hall, and two Montreal handouts Wakley and Plassel. Sure they kept getting to the finals because it was stacked that way, but geez Louise! Nothing was going right.

Then they brought in Frank M., gave Dryden a chance, put the worst coach Richard had ever played for in charge, and won the Cup before establishing a mini-dynasty.

What can you say. Think there is a parallel? :-)

• B says:

Great post! An interesting read.

They traded Grant and Larose for the 8th overall pick in 1972 which they used to select Dave Gardner who never really amounted to much. Stuff happens, even back in those days.

–Go Habs Go!–

• New says:

You’re probably right. The picks always look so good on paper, as if every other team was dumb to overlook the guy until 17th, or 48th, or…

Draft success comes from enhanced chance. Many picks or higher picks on average than the competition over 10 years increase your ability to sustain a long term success.

I think as well that the previous owner was pretty concerned with enhancing the value of the asset. A US high schooler in college wasn’t as likely to do that as quickly as a good old boy from Alaska with a winning record.

At least now the front office is full to the brim with people responsible for building hockey players. Enhanced chance of getting it right.

• ont fan says:

As for free agents. If MB gets Clarkson and Wiese he gets crucified. Very few free agents work out.

3. SteverenO says:

Trying to see the downside of playing at least two of Beaulieu, Tinordi and Patteryn right now.

Only two things could happen, both of them positive.

1) The added speed and enthusiasm leads to better play and more wins.

2) The youthful mistakes costs the team a few games, in which cased we get a higher draft position.

The side effects of playing some of our prospects will be more exciting and entertaining hockey, and may also give MB an opportunity to shop around the veteran defencemen Murray, Bouillon, Diaz, etc, possibly even Gorges or Markov and hopefully acquire a top 6 forward or at least some early round draft picks.

Enough of this treading water trying to be “competitive”, The future starts now!

regards,

Steve O.

• bwoar says:

3) We take players out of a position to be successful, while learning their trade, and set them up for failure on a team that’s not backchecking.

4) We utterly lose any chance at guys like Diaz getting some value, any value in return by taking them off the ice entirely.

“thoroughbred”

• SteverenO says:

good points bwoar, but not sure I agree.

3) There is no better way to learn their trade than actually playing and learning from mistakes. As for backchecking, I believe that the current edition of the HABS are pretty good at backchecking and defending, their problem is in lack of scoring.,

4) Diaz has played enough to establish his value.
        At even strength this season the team has allowed one goal every 31 minutes with Diaz on the ice, second best on the team behind only Gorges ( 40 Min per GA). When shorthanded he is the best of our defensemen having played over 120 minutes averaging 18 Mins per PPGA. Compare to Gorges averaging 14 MpPPGA, & Markov averaging 9 MpGGA.

I also don’t think that Diaz would be the one to sit if there were defensive call ups, It should be Murray, Bouillon, and/or Emelin who are benched, all of whom are averaging between 20 and 23 Minutes per GA, and have been nowhere near as effective as Diaz.

regards,

Steve O.

There is also that little thing called playoff revenue. Geoff Molson bought this team with some loaned money. He does need some playoff gate revenue to help pay the interest on those loans. Don’t forget he also just wrote cheques to Gomez and Kaberle. Small amounts in big picture, but add it up with no playoffs and he leaves a great deal of money on the table.

Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see Pateryn get a shot as well, but MT and MB do need to try and ensure a playoff spot.

• veryhabby says:

The downside is that they already have 8 NHL contract dmen. It’s easy to say dump 3 of them (altho Drew is still on injury res), but it just doesn’t happen by wishing it to happen.

The team HAS TO FIRST make room for these kids. I think they had hoped Tinordi would win a spot out of camp, and when he didn’t they went and got Murray. But now there is no room unless you somehow make it.

MB has clearly said to the kids…force my hand and I will make a spot for you. Beaulieu has his shot now to force MB. I just hope he is given enough ice time to show what he can do.

Wonder if Beaulieu’s tryout will also help MB finalize his decision about UFA Diaz.

• gumper says:

I find myself firmly in agreement with the course you are suggesting. Time to bring on the kids and cut loose the deadwood. I also agree with the list of players you suggest as trade bait, though I think you’d be lucky to get a bona fide top six forward for Markov and Gorges. You need to understand though the size of cojones needed in Montreal to risk missing the playoffs. But honestly, I really wish MB would grow a pair and go for it. It’s the only route I can see out of mediocrity.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

4. 25Stanleycups says:

10 games remaining till the Olympic break.

@ Pittsburgh, @ Detroit, Washington, Carolina, @ Boston, Tampa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, @ Carolina.

20 points available. 6 at home, 4 on the road.

Anyone want to venture out which team will show up for that schedule.

The one that SHOWED up and played a fast tight game with Chicago.

Or.

The one that last week lost 4-1 to Jersey, got outshot 2-1 against Ottawa but stole a win, and lost 5-3 to the Leafs.

• gumper says:

Sadly, the latter imo.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• B says:

I don’t expect them to be consistently at their best or their worst. Like all teams they will have ebbs and flows over their schedule.

The 2 weeks they have after the Olympic break look to be a real challenge. A lot of games in a short period of time vs mostly top teams.

–Go Habs Go!–

5. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Ray Ferraro says Markov plays too much. Agree or disagree?
    He also says playing P.K. 28-30 mins a game is a mistake because his style demands a lot of energy. Agree or disagree?

• Maritime Ronn says:

PK never looks tired even after a game.
      Markov plays smart efficient hockey with little physicality that is draining for a Dman. Of his 25 minutes, an average of 4 are PP minutes which is also less draining.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

I suspect MT sees it your way too. It also helps both players that they’ve been paired together a lot since they each excel at minimizing defensive zone scrambles, which is easily the most tiring aspect of a dman’s game. It’ll be interesting to see where they are fatigue-wise after they get back from the Olympics.

Does Ferraro then say he wants to see MOAR Murray, Diaz and Bouillon? I could almost agree with Markov playing too much, not worried about PK. I don’t see him commenting on Karlsson, Weber, Suter, etc… playing too much.

PK appears to be in excellent condition. No signs he can’t take the heavy minutes. I think again it is easy for the TSN folks to nitpick about Montreal while not discussing Phaneuf playing huge minutes.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Don’t know if he comments on those other guys. I only listen to his twice-weekly spot on TSN 690, which is basically all about the Habs (understandable since it’s a MTL radio station). Anyway, he also said that a lot of MTL’s defensive woes are attributable to Emelin’s poor play of late. He’s critical of Gorges too. I don’t recall what he had to say about the others. Regardless, I think we all agree the Habs aren’t going anywhere unless they sort out their defensive woes, because they’re certainly not going to have many games where they score 4+ goals.

No doubt Emelin’s struggles are a big problem for the team. I still think he is fine long term, but for now it hurts. We really do need to have 1-2 prospects graduate next year to our team and lose some deadweight on the backend.

Cheers!

6. Maritime Ronn says:

Yes, the Habs GM will build through the draft and be patient…..because it will take at least 5 years for Bergevin to put his stamp on this team.

That mentioned, sometimes it’s better to march in the parade with language earplugs on, than just watch it go by…

EX: Just 2 less panic ‘Torch’ signings – and replacing that with 2 UFAs (IF Montreal was a landing spot for them) could have made this a very interesting group of forwards.

What could have been….for $250,000 LESS that the Cap costs the Habs presently incur:

MacArthur-Plekanec-Jagr
    Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
    Bourque-Eller-Gionta
    Prust-Bournival-Moen
    White Parros

Clarke MacArthur signed with Ottawa for 2 years-$3.25M per year
    He is 6′-195 and already has 17 goals-36 points and his Hit Stat would rank him 2nd on the Habs forwards.
    Jagr you know.

• B says:

I don’t know if MacArthur or Jagr would have signed a similar deal with Montreal or if he would have had the same level off success and production this season if they had. There are also other considerations such as timing and other offers available (or not available). It may make interesting hind sight discussion, but I don’t think there are any foregone conclusions to be drawn from it.

–Go Habs Go!–

7. shiram says:

Suter and Parisé advise their family not to attend the Sotchi games, on fear of safety.

8. Mattyleg says:

I’m right here, you know.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Does any coach in the league pull his goalies more than Hitchcock? I don’t ask this in the vain of stirring the Halak Crockpot, but I wonder if the stat is kept somewhere.

• Cal says:

The Blues are desperate for goaltending. Especially after that 7-1 debacle last night. They’ll probably get a deal done (likely with Buffalo) before the Olympic trade freeze.
      For Buffalo, losing Miller before the Olympics ensure that the Oilers can’t beat them to 30th overall (not that they aren’t trying).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

In Dublin, pulling is something you do in a nightclub. You go on the pull. End of night conversation with pals, “So did you pull?”

I know this from talking to people 100 years younger than myself.

Everyone keeps their own stats and is picky about which ones they share.

• Mattyleg says:

I went ‘out on the pull’ many nights in Dublin.

It should really be called ‘out on the trawl’ because you never know what your net’s going to snag until you wake up the next morning for a proper look.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I don´t know but when it comes to pulling goalies no one is crazier than former Oiler and Ranger Don Jackson. He was coaching Düsseldorf of the German DEL in 2005/6. In game 5 (played best of 5) Düsseldorf was down 3-2 against Cologne with more than four minutes lelft. Düsseldorf had a two man advantage but Jackson still decided to pull the goalie and play 6 against 3. Once again: With more than four minutes left!

In the end it worked and Düsseldorf went on to win 5-3 and I´ll never forget that game even the hockey wasn´t great.

Corey Perry evidently has found the same Spoon which our own Dunboyne refers to. Check out his shooting the puck in Jets net, well after the whistle.

11. Sportfan says:

So the Expos Nation group is trying to get the Mets to start Bartolo Colon and the Jays to start Ohka when they are in town in March. All I have to say is what a funny, yet smart idea. Although as an Expos and Jay fan I am not the biggest Ohka fan but it would be nice to see the two pitch.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. Plekasuares says:

Ask Edmonton how building through the draft is going.

13. DipsyDoodler says:

I see a lot of hate for Max Pac today.

Wanting to be on the ice (you’d think it was a positive thing – wanting to play) makes him a “loser” and “entitled”! It’s just like “parking in a disabled spot”.

Holy Fuck!

Holy Fucking Fuck!

14. habstrinifan says:

New player coming from Ireland. Dunboyne Mike did some amateur scouting and impressed MB. Should be in our line-up before next Bruins game.

Name is Douglas Fir.

REALLY tall righty Dman.
    Benches 650, no teeth, criminal record (assault and battery), ferociously loyal, Plus187, slap shots from the point often embed in the boards or end up in the parking lot, once destroyed a scoreboard with the door of the penalty box following a 2-minute roughing call after somehow lining up all three opposing forwards and piling them all into the half-boards with one hit. Grew up a Habs fan and only wants a modest salary plus season tickets at the Bell for his parole officer and his family.

In other NHL news Chara considering retirement.

15. DipsyDoodler says:

I thought it was Therrien 2.0 but Claude Ruel edges him. However since 1981 Therrien 2.0 with a .656 winning percentage and 1.31 points per game has the best record.

Obviously it is difficult to compare the loser point era (2005-present) to the pre loser point era, but you can see that MT 2.0 is comfortably ahead of the pack, with the possible exception of Pat Burns.

Coach and points per game:

Bernie Geoffrion[e] 1.20
    Guy Carbonneau* 1.18
    Bob Gainey[e] 1.00
    Jacques Martin 1.11
    Randy Cunneyworth* 0.90
    Michel Therrien 1.31

16. shiram says:

Bergevin’s stance is one of patience, the team will build itself from it’s draft, with it’s current players improving etc…
    It sounds fine, it certainly is a change from old management, but is it actually good?

We are spending alot of your young players cheaper contracts on being a playoff team, not a playoff contender.
    Eller, Chucky, Gally are all on very cheap deals for what they can bring to a team, but they all are in for a raise in the coming 2 seasons.
    We’ve already used up the cheap contracts for Price, Emelin, DD and Subban.

If the teams young players in the AHL and lower leagues don’t step up in a major way, we may just be replacing vets with our draft picks without actually improving the team, or at the very least getting cap space.

I’m not sold at all on Bergevin, and his very few good moves are starting to look very paltry in the face of a future that might not be so bright.

• New says:

Building through the draft is a sound plan. But it relies on genius being confined to your organization or really high draft picks. Which is better, hoping Collberg and De la Rose turn out to be superstars or drafting a Galchenyuk in the top 3 three years running? Three future #1 centers or a development cycle that relies on other coaches and organizations to do what is best for the Canadiens?

The Canadiens have to lose big time for Bergevin’s plan to work. Or they have to rely on 29 other teams to be incompetent.

• shiram says:

And they are not going to tank.
        I mean, I like Timmins drafting as much as the next guy, but I doubt it alone will push the team up to Cup contender.

• New says:

That is the 20 year and running problem. Edmonton grins and tanks but Montreal puts butts in seats, faces pointed to screens, and fills the League coffers. Their reward for trying their best…a cap that limits their ability to use revenue to acquire players, a draft weighted to the non-competitive, and an outside chance at the Cup once every 10 years or so. Miracle on ice only happened once in my lifetime. I don’t much expect it again.

• ont fan says:

So then tanking is what is needed here? Unless you can swindle some elite player from another team, what choice is there. The organization doesn’t want to tank and neither does at least half the fans. There aren’t that many big trades being made. Probably because the GMs in the league want to keep their jobs. WE have some nice pieces but to say we are one defenseman and a forward away from being a true contender is probably a stretch.

• New says:

I don’t think tank is the way to go. Acquiring futures may be. If you can get a few high picks they can be bundled or used. To do that you need to sell something of value to a team that believes they are swindling you. Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

But again. The pressure to compete is high in Montreal. Can you imagine them trading Subban for Jones or Weber? Or Price and their first for Bishop and Hurberdeau? How about Gallagher for a 7th overall and Reway for a high second?

RDS would light the fire and everyone else would throw gas on. And they might be right. Only time tells.

17. rhino514 says:

Regarding MB, sure, it can take years for the general manager´s long tern vision to realize itself, but there is alot a GM can also do to make his club competitive in the short term. Gainey took over and the team did well right away, for example. In MB´s case, he actually inherited a fairly good team; the team´s record prior to his arrival was an aberration. He basically inherited the 96 point team of the previous year plus Galchenyuk and Gallagher, with Subban, Eller, and Emelin growing their game, plus Markov returning.
    You can´t do much when you are missing many pieces, but the current habs, in my mind, are only missing a good Dman, or a good rugged winger (one of the two) in order to be a 100 point team.
    A good GM can get you that missing piece. I am curious to see if he will be able to do so by the trade deadline.
    As a GM, he is green, and it shows. Parros, Murray, and Briere have not been impressive moves. However he has the reputation of one of the hardest working GMs in the league, and I think he´ll be a lot better in 2 or 3 years. He´s also got Dudley, who is quite an experienced guy and could maybe be a GM in his own right.

Some things, though, like the suffocating atmosphere that left with Gauthier, are hard to quantify; His moves are no better than the Goat´s, in fact they are probably worse, but the good energy he has brought along gets him the benefit of the doubt for now. By the end of next season, though, he will have to start to be judged by his tangible results.

• JUST ME says:

I think that MB`S challenge was bigger than what others meet when they take over the management of a pro team. Not much on ice raw talent, not much in the farm team, not much coaches in the staff, not much scouts ont the road ..
      So although you want to changes things it a whole culture that needs to be facelifted. This takes time and i think that this summer could be a defining moment for the future cause now is the time to deal with the veterans and if you want to change things there is no more direct way. I think that in the last few years the core of this team has been defined and renewed..Not even sure we had a core before actually…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I like this assessment, Rhino.
      But I’ll probably swing with the next persuasive post to the contrary….
      But for the moment, what you say nicely summarises what I think myself.

Just another note to our great HIO family.

Next Saturday I will be taking the train to Montreal with my oldest son, who has never been to the Bell Center. We will be 12 rows up behind the bench and we will be going to Hurley’s after the game, 2nd floor.
    I will be delivering on behalf of all HIO members, a check to the Canadien’s Children’s Foundation, from our raffle at our last Summit.
    Sure hope to see a bunch of you at Hurley’s for a cold one! Or a single malt!!!
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

@Dipsy, when do we get answer to the Quiz?

20. Sportfan says:

Yankees signed Tanaka to a 7 year 155 million dollar deal. That’s disgusting I kind of hope this blows up in the Yankees faces. The money thrown around in baseball makes me want to puke sometimes.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

21. Yeah big Surprise! I’m goona Puke :)

BREAKING: Japanese ace Masahiro Tanaka will sign with the Yankees for seven years, $155 million.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

22. habbytent says:

Watching the gold medal game from Van city this morning (first time since watching it live) this was damn good hockey!

Thanks everyone! I’ll go back to lurking now.

If anyone wants a break from Habs talk, here is an excellent interview Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt had with Colin Campbell regarding Torts, Fighting etc….

15 minutes, but very interesting and a good listen.

24. adamkennelly says:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
    Prust-Brière-Bourque
    Moen-Bournival-Leblanc

lets see here – I count max 7 average or above NHL caliber forwards outta 12.

• Habfan10912 says:

And I think you may have been generous. Pacioretty, Gallagher, Eller, Pleks, Prust and DD are in mine. Gionta? Oh boy, he’s seemed to lost an awful lot since returning from those bicep injuries.

• scuba says:

If your comment is right then maybe I don’t understand what the word average means and why this would be a bad thing.

——————————————————————————————————–
      I can’t tell if the Habs are great or terrible because sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.

• adamkennelly says:

true – take average in the literal sense and my comment makes no sense – except you would expect the top 6 to be above average, the 3rd line to be average and the 4th line to be below..means we should still have 9 avg or above but my point really is – our forward suck as a group compared to the NHL average.

25. Sportfan says:

I just read that Sergio Momesso said that the Habs had looked into Matt Hendricks, but his term is what lead to the Habs not making a deal.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• adamkennelly says:

why would they look at matt hendricks when they have Prust, Moen and White on the team..makes ZERO sense -which means they prolly did. tells you how little is out there.

• Ozmodiar says:

He would have been an upgrade over White.

Hendricks signed a sizable contract, though. Similar to Moen’s, I think.

• adamkennelly says:

if Habs management is focused on trying to upgrade the role White fills – we are in a sad state of affairs – also – he is definitely not an upgrade over White if you consider the contract which must be considered – so back to where we started.

Perhaps you can write MB a detailed letter explaining which positions specifically and which players he should upgrade, all the while ensuring the contracts are for less money and term. Oh wait, were back to not making trades again.

I understand being frustrated right now, but on one hand people bitch for MB to make some moves, now he is criticized for looking at making a move, a move which he didn’t make which you seem to agree he shouldn’t have made, yet he is an idiot….. following?

Edit: I realize you didn’t call him an idiot, but I don’t blame him for looking at Hendricks. I think he is indeed looking to make a trade, but they are few and far between in todays NHL. Hopefully when he does pull the trigger its a good one.

• Ozmodiar says:

You’re underestimating the importance of the 4th line C. Management should always be looking to upgrade just about every position.

From a hockey perspective he was an upgrade, but apparently not worth the extra $$$ – assuming we would have been willing to sign in Mtl.

• Strummer says:

They would be better focussing on their top 6-9 forwards instead of spare parts.
          All season long I have been reading insider reports that bergevin has been trying to acquire a top 6 forward.
          Nothing so far.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• CJ says:

They weren’t looking at Hendricks. Per momesso, he was being shopped by Nashville.

• Sportfan says:

Well according to the puck daddy guys he is an energy guy and a good guy in the locker room.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• adamkennelly says:

I feel like some people like to disagree just to disagree..kinda like my woman.

my point is – Matt Hendricks is not the type of player that will fix what ails this team, nor is he even worth considering because we already have 3 almost identical players – the most obvious of who he replaces (White) gets paid way less money. Its idiotic…would be like signing Briere when we already have DD.

• CJ says:

Did you listen to the interview? He said Hendricks name came across the wire while the team was in Philly. He said Bergevin brought it up during lunch saying that Nashville was making him available.

Your comment makes it sound like Bergevin was targeting Hendricks. I just want to clarify that this was not the case.

26. PrimeTime says:

There are no guarantees in sport or life. It’s easy for fans to discuss their opinions and ideas about the job MB has done but no one here has their feet to the fire. Fans have no accountability and as Hickey wrote below, are at best, mildly uninformed. But I will add my 2 cents…..I think MB when hired had a mandate to “francophone” this team until it is built to be a contender through the draft. It lowers he ill temperature of the team at the time, MT, DD, Briere, until the fever can be reduced by building through the system. Like it or not but if this team is not going to win then it better be french. Once it is winning then nobody cares!

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• knob says:

What a ridiculous mandate then.

• PrimeTime says:

it takes a few years to build through the system. MB saw it in CHI. If you dont you get a middle of the pack team as we are now. But there were other issues to be solved at the time of his hiring. Molson needed the team to be more “french”

********************************************************

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Entirely sensible.
      Just have to work on my patience….
      And outrageous expectations.
      And keep taking my vitamins so I’m still alive when the draft-build eventually brings forth fruit.

• Strummer says:

“Bread and Circuses” for the masses in this case the fracophone fan base.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Where’d you grow up, Strum? Me, a couple of blocks from the Forum. Anglophone. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, but I don’t get worked up about the Quebecois thing, the longing for a team filled with “flying Frenchmen”. It does KILL me that we appear restricted to a French-speaking coach, but the overall. I don’t know, I actually like how the Habs are “distinct” (trigger word!) within the league. What’s the difference between the clubs in Florida, California, Columbus, even Alberta?

Trust me, members of my family strongly disagree! I am, at best, conflicted.

• habstrinifan says:

How do you factor in the ‘change the culture mandate’ . You may not feel it worthy to answer but this is what MT trotted out as front and centre goals of both he and MB… formulated in one on one discussion.

What is this culture change?

• Ozmodiar says:

This line right here isn’t true:

“Once it is winning then nobody cares!”

• shiram says:

This francophone would rather they focus on building a team that can win instead of getting guys based on linguistics skills.

27. Eddie says:

Here’s a classic case of wwwwwwhat? as Therrien continues to amaze.

Lars Eller is big, like 6’2 and 215, he’s fast, he has played physical, and he has played a 200 foot game without any issue.

All this he has accomplished as a “big center”, you know the kind that we need to battle against big wingers and other teams big centres.

Eller does not play the same game on the wing. That was discovered after Habs coaches misused him for 2 seasons.

So now we have Plekanec, Desharnais, Briere, down the middle, and Eller on the wing?

Seriously? Against Crosby and Malkin and Sutter?

Brutal decisions by our coach. Absolutely brutal.

28. HabFab says:

Habsworld grades the Bulldog goaltenders and D for the 2nd quarter;

29. Steeltown Hab says:

Was watching 24CH last night and at intermission vs Chicago Pacioretty goes up to Gallant with a smirk and goes “Can we start next period?” Gallant goes “Huh?” Pacioretty says “Me and Davey, can we start next period” than Gallant says “haha no you gotta earn it”

This is why I can’t stand Pacioretty – dialed into a big game and thinking about him and “davey” can’t even say “can OUR line”..guess what you had no success at all this year until Gallagher came on that line.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• jols101 says:

I saw that as well and had that exact same thought you did.

Maybe all those MaxPac rumours had some basis?

• scotland says:

gally, elar chucky,

subban markov

price

top 5 going forward.

supporting cast

emelin, pleks, bounival, prust

the rest …. gone …. trade patch, baby dd, ……. drop the rest….. you wont get anything in return for georges, gionta, bourque, brierre, murray, moen, ………..not one of them is worth more than a 3rd rounder….and georges, brierre, bourque wont even fetch that because of the salary that they drag around with them

oh yea….send therrien back to the radio station and hire a guy who is actually working in the coaching field……..ya think?

• Jerman says:

So you want to trade half the team and you think that will help the team? We are not NHL14. Rarely those that every pay off for a team.

Plus, the Habs have trouble scoring and our solution is to trade our scorer (Patchs) that in on a cheap contract.

You are on crack

• PrimeTime says:

do you read a middle chapter of a book and then assume the beginning and conclusion?

********************************************************

• Jerman says:

Exactly that. Anyone who plays hockey knows how much joking around and inside jokes in the dressing room. People really like to make stories out of nothing.

Ps. Gallagher always has a grin on his face. I think he gossips around the room and makes everyone against each other, Trade him now

• DipsyDoodler says:

I know its not my place, and I mean this in the friendliest way because I’m feeling your pain here, but don’t you think you and the Habs are in a bad relationship? All they do is disappoint you and yet you love them so much you actually watch 24CH (I assume you have cable, DVD maybe netflix , so infinite viewing options).

Apparently a relationship counselor will sometimes tell a couple: don’t even try to work it out; just go your separate ways (it’s borderline unethical I guess). Sometimes that’s the only solution.

• Jerman says:

Context is key. You can’t take 1 line a build a story around it and think it is true. This team is much better with Patches in the line up. Anyone that wants to trade a 4.5 million dollar scorer (would be on pace for 40 goals in a 82 game season) is crazy. Especially when your team can’t score.

• Steeltown Hab says:

No ones talking about trading him, he’s just a loser is my point and based on what I see, selfish. Aka standing around watching Gallagher get beat up in every scrum. Stops throwing the body when he starts having 30 goal seasons.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Habfan10912 says:

Well, at least he included DD in his request. It would have been much worse if he had just said “me”. :)

Here’s my two cents and my apologies to all of you in a similar generation as Max.

There’s a sense of entitlement and me first among some of his generation. Some feel free to park in handicapped spaces, fire hydrants, cut lines when able, and think of themselves first.

Upon further investigation it appears that certain regions of the US (I can’t speak for Canada and probably shouldn’t speak for the US either but I am going to) have borne greater numbers of this sense of entitlement and me first culture.

The NFL is filled with these types of players. MLB as well. My guess is your place of employment has a few of these scattered about as well.

I’ll pass on passing too much judgement on Max in this case. I suspect its part of his DNA. Hopefully he does other things in his life which may balance this shortcoming out (if indeed it is a shortcoming).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Once us old farts get going about the youth of today, the single-thread post record is in serious jeopardy!

Hey Jim, did you see the (entirely uninformed) discussion about worms a couple days back??!

30. Luke says:

How is it that the Leafs with 59 points in 52 games are to be watched out for and on the rise, while the Habs with 59 points in 49 games are brutal, terrible, awful and should be dismantled ?

• habstrinifan says:

” on the rise”… is that a deliberate choice of words?

• Steeltown Hab says:

Leafs have actually had a rough injury situation. Not that I think they’re crazy good. But they have a lot of scoring talent and with Bolland back will be pretty good.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• knob says:

ignore the standings for one moment and reflect on the games that you have watched…see it yet? This team is where they are because of the goaltending. Even during the streak where we got 19 out of 20 points there were four games in a row that we had no business winning.

• Luke says:

Hey, you win some you should lose and lose some you should win.

Look at TO’s first 20 games. They won MANY games they should have lost.

What I think we are seeing is TO in their “19 of 20″ (or hot) run right now.

They (Leaf fans) have a right to be excited about it, and I doubt that many of them are disappointed by it… like some seemed to be here by the Habs run.

They’ll have a stinker soon. As all teams do. Maybe Bernier will let in another 80 foot wrister, or flub the careem off the back board again.

• CJ says:

Are you talking about the Leafs?

At least try and be neutral.

Leafs have 9 wins by way of shoot out.

During 10 leafs wins they were at least doubled in shots against.

• scotland says:

because thats leaf land.

leafs made play offs and went out in first round and the season was considered a success.

habs made play offs and went out in first round and season was complete failure.

but in looking at the habs team ….they are living proof that this league gives you about 70-75 points just being in it (when was the last time the worst team in the league finished with less)

but play offs? i hate the leafs but come on……they have aline up far better suited for play offs than the habs…..and a coach.

btw….what is therriens record in play offs as an nhl coach….anyone know? upset the bruins in 03. only one i can remember him winning.

• CJ says:

Agreed. Not much else to say.

• nbsjfan says:

Leafs have won 6 in a row while les boys have been on a .500 fumble since sometime in early December. 500 hockey in the era of the three point game is TERRIBLE hockey. And if you’ve been watching the teams chasing the Habs lately, they’re closing the gap while the Habs continue to flounder.

31. Steeltown Hab says:

At this point Gauthier is a better GM than Bergevin…scary thought. (transaction wise, not interviews and looking good).

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

32. Ozmodiar says:

So, it’s Pleks, DD and Briere down the middle tonight?

Something tells me Malkin’s looking forward to this game.

33. habstrinifan says:

I knew someone would come up with the “really miss Galchenyuk” excuse.

Phew!!!!!!!.. just in time.

34. CranbrookEd says:

Came across this after seeing it retweeted by Brian Wilde . . .

Comparing last season’s #Habs to this season’s through 48 games, trying to understand the collapse http://sbn.to/1apZF26

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

• knob says:

Most people don’t need to read that artical or review those stats (albeit it is a good artical and the stats are helpful) to understand that this team is trending in the wrong direction.

35. jols101 says:

What about Columbus winning 7 in a row and sitting in the 2nd wild card spot? Who would have thunk it?

36. DipsyDoodler says:

Quiz of the day.

Since Scotty Bowman (1971-79) the Canadiens’ head coaching position has been a revolving door. 15 different head coaches in 34 years, typically lasting less than three years (only Pat Burns lasted into a 4th season). Four of the fired coaches later coached in a Stanley Cup final (two won it).

Guess which one of those 15 has the best regular season winning record?

37. Harditya says:

I am assuming there will finally be that big shakeup with the roster in the upcoming offseason. Bergevin will be soon entering his 3rd offseason, and he’s been awfully quiet (much like Cheveldayoff) and the majority of the roster is the same from the Gauthier era. And MB has plenty of reason to shake things up by now. This is a very average team. Do just fine to make the playoffs and then get steam-rolled. Yes, yes bloody pessimist I am. Go Habs Go!

38. Happy 96th Elmer Lach

Haha Gerald got a blah blah blah reply!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOOOOOOORNING Habs InsideOut!

Habs 5
    Pens 2

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Good stuff happening in Winnipeg for the past 4 games since naming Paul Maurice new head coach.
    The team has gone 4-0-0 beating the Ducks in Anaheim last night.

One of Maurice’s first moves was to make his Top minutes dman Byfuglien a forward (yet he still plays the point on the PP)…and letting his young gun Dmen PLAY those minutes.

And then the quotes from the guys in the room:

Captain Andrew Ladd:
    “The one thing Paul’s done a good job of doing when he came in was getting our confidence up.
    The whole group I don’t think was the most confident group when he got here.
    He’s done a good job building us up, letting us know we’re pretty good hockey players.”

Goalie Ondrej Pavelec:
    “. … The whole team is playing with confidence. The new coach let us know we’re good players, and we can beat anybody.”

Then how does the humble, ‘non-confrontational’ coach reply?

“…when asked what he’s done to this underachieving group, the veteran coach is frank: “Nothing.”
    “Before I got here, I thought this was a good hockey team,” Maurice added. “Now we’re feeling good, and that changes everything.”

No 10 minute misconducts to his best player.
    No media call-outs.
    No benching for 1 mistake.
    Playing players where they belong…
    No playing of pets from his junior coaching days.
    No treating specific players like wild stallions that need to be ‘broken.’
    No need to tell anyone that is listening that he’s the Boss Man.

Too bad Coach Maurice didn’t purchase a Rosetta Stone course during his time off….at least that would have been 1 more name to consider in the lean list

40. Propwash says:

So the general consensus is…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• habstrinifan says:

is….. we need a new latrine. The old one is full.

• New says:

This site suffers from terminal over-expectations and the associated reality thump that always accompanies that. These guys are playing really well. They don’t on paper have the right to be anywhere near where they are now.

We should all be proud of how hard most of them are trying.

• scotland says:

yay …. we should be proud of how hard they are twying….poor litt’l baby habs. give them a break. and weave the coach alone. he’s twying too.

go boulion , bourque and brierre ….. with that kind of effort im surprised they were left off the olympic team

jets 4-0-0 after coaching change

habs will be lucky to win 4 games in the next month (in the weak east)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Are you saying, New, that Leblanc probably won’t score a hat-trick tonight?! Leave now! This is a site for fans! What were you thinking?

41. habstrinifan says:

I found the following difficult to deal with…

a) One poster described MB signing Briere as a bad management move. And another poster said that was ‘cherry picking’. You analyse the one major UFA signing to fill the longstanding hole in your lineup.. and it’s ‘cherry picking’?

b) Another poster excuses our losses to Toronto and ? (the name doesnt matter) on the grounds that “they were hot teams”. Please gentlemen. Losses or bad play in the midst of prolong poor play and we say its because we played hot teams.

Please gentlemen.. please.

42. habsfan0 says:

Pittsburgh,Detroit,Washington.
    Watershed moment of the season.

43. Cal says:

After watching the team for another half-season, it’s looking like another lost season with players being played away from their strengths. See the excellent posts below by MRonn, Sac and jols.
    Management and the coaching staff seem intent on failing yet appeasing the fans with signings like I’m-done-like-dinner Brière.
    The coaching staff chimes in by playing guys like Chucky out of position, pretending to “protect” his young gun. 3rd line center to start his career would have been a much better move.
    One other thing that’s driving me around the bend is the use of Gally as the player to make space for DD and Patches. Simply ridiculous. Bourque, on his more natural right wing, should be doing that job.
    Looks like the wounded Pens will come into town hungry. Price will be very busy tonight.

• Phil C says:

“One other thing that’s driving me around the bend is the use of Gally as the player to make space for DD and Patches.”

That’s been bothering me as well. Gally never sees the puck from DD, he is always looking for Pacioretty instead. And Gally had some good chemistry with Eller earlier in the season, yet they never play together anymore.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yup. Eller found Gallly a few times in the game when DD had the flu (Gally disallowed goal, for example). They might as well put Prust with Max and DD.

• Phil C says:

Exactly. DD’s line’s success coincided with Gally’s move to their line, but I think their improved play had more to do with both DD and Pacioretty playing better individually. DD started skating, moving his feet, playing more instinctively so his decisions were faster. Pacioretty has always been streaky, so not sure why he is playing better, but I’m not convinced it is attributed to Gally as much as the coach thinks. Like you said, they can get any player to go to the net to create room. Gally’s scoring talent is being squandered which is unfortunate on a team that is 21st in scoring.

Quite the night in the NHL, St.Louis upset by New Jersey 7-1, Columbus beats L.A. 5-3, Dallas beat Minny 4-0, Toronto beats Colorado 5-2, Winnipeg beats Anaheim 3-2. All pretty big upsets.

Hoping for a Montreal upset of PIttsburgh.

• RetroMikey says:

Blah blah blah blah.
      “Hoping for a Montreal upset of Pittsburgh.”
      What is this going to prove to you and others if we win?
      We have had many issues with this team now and in seasons past.
      Changes have to be made, major trades need to be made to make this team a contender season after season.
      If not, we will be having the same team over and over, good games and bad games, make the playoffs and hope to eke out in the first round and make the fans happy and Molson’s pocket thicker a bit.
      You were the one that ridiculed me and the Leafs on this site when I said to watch out for Toronto.
      How about those Leafs now, eh? No upset beating Colorado IMO.
      They are playing great hockey and I don’t see them losing confidence.
      The Habs need to look to shake things up and now and not hope for a W here and there.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

45. jols101 says:

The easiest job in the universe is being a NHL GM if you declare “we are going to build our team through the draft.”

You really don’t have to show up to the office for the first 3 years or so. Whenever anyone asks ” so what do you think about your team”, all you have to do is go back to your trusty line ” we are building through the draft.” It appeases the media and most of the fans. It is a wonderful gig if you can get it…

46. Maritime Ronn says:

Beaulieu – Gorges
    Has now become
    Gorges – Beaulieu

According to Coach Therrien and the guys at RDS, Beaulieu will be playing on the Right Side – a position he has never played, while Gorges will play on the Left Side.(… even though Gorges has right side experience.

Being a fan of what Beaulieu can bring to the Habs, this is just another example of how this organization almost never puts youth in a position to succeed.

Look around the NHL. Just about every organization plays their rookies or 2nd year pros in the positions that they excel, but of course this coaching staff and management is so much smarter than everyone else ( Galchenyuk-Bournival-Tinordi…)

Watching the Coach’s friends on Antichambre defend the decision was almost laughable.
    The excuses ranged from he should play any position on the ice when given a chance…to the Habs need a right hand Dman (?)…..to Beaulieu is a defensive liability so it doesn’t matter what side he plays on.

Here’s hoping they are all right, but throwing Beaulieu to the wolves ( Pens lost last game) is just one more example of youth mistreatment and putting them in positions to fail.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Completely agree. In general both Bergevin and Therrien and have made a terrible job when it comes to our D.

We should have signed a RD last summer. I mentioned Tom Gilbert a couple of times. We got Murray who´s nowhere near as good and a LD. Why?

When Emelin came back he played with Gorges. I was okay with it untill I heard that Emelin would play on the right. Why? How many games has Gorges played on the right side with Markov? Gorges in general is a little bit better on the left but Emelin is so much better on the left…

Especially when it comes to young defensemen it´s in general even more crucial to play them on their natural side.

• SlovakHab says:

Agree with both of you, lads.

We have played Emelin on his off side… Now Bealieu on his off side, although Gorges is capable of being a RD.

As for not signing a RD in the offseason, that’s a worrisome fact.

Considering you can only win the Cup with an elite GM, I can’t just be happy that MB has done some okay things and some totally questionable. If he can’t identify that massive hole on RD, I worry about him being able to get us up there to the top, in a 30-team competitive league.

Not putting Nathan Bealieu on his preferred side worries me. I hope MT knows what he is doing.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Bob

The Habs management was sleeping at the switch concerning Gilbert.
        Florida invited him to training camp, signed him for $ 900K ( that’s $600K less that Bouillon…) And Gilbert is on the top pairing in even strength minutes and a 2nd unit PP guy.
        He has good size and excellent mobility, but is not as tough as he should be for his size. Then again, Diaz, Bouillon…..

• jols101 says:

I think this is something all of us can agree with(and I don’t think that ever happens.) Terrible decision by Therrien. Gorges played the right side for two years. Throwing a young prospect on his wrong side is just begging for him to fail. Really baffling and completely wrong in every way.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Jols

I had high hopes, but this whole management/coaching thing is getting problematic.
        Just look at the panic signings of Desharnais and Briere for ‘Torch’ reasons.
        For $250K LESS money, the Habs could have had BOTH Jagr and Clarke MacArthur last summer…and the Habs Centers would be Plex-Galchunyuk-Eller.
        Now have fun and make up some lines with those guys….

• jols101 says:

Bergevin is so charismatic and likable I was certain he was going to lead us back to the promised land when he first got hired. His moves over the last year and a half have made me stop believing. I think he is all show and no go.

Therrien, I thought he was a buffoon the first time and he is still a buffoon. Not surprised by anything he does anymore.

This team with Jagr and MacArthur instead of Briere and DD would be a contender in the East. Pleks/Chucky/Eller should clearly be our center men.

Missing out on Gilbert is also a huge mistake. We are in desperate need of a RD and Bergevin signs Murray and extends Bouillon. Weird and wild stuff.

• Maritime Ronn says:

What could have been….for $250,000 less

MacArthur Plekanec Jagr
            Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher
            Bourque Eller Gionta
            Prust Bournival Moen
            White Parros

• Chris says:

I don’t like this move, but on the topic of right-handed defencemen, my take is that Bergevin and Therrien were absolutely counting on Jarred Tinordi taking the next step this season by grabbing a top-6 job with the Habs.

In the early going, Tinordi ranged from awful to below-average: his lack of speed was glaring, and his pivots and positioning were not good enough to make up for it. So he was demoted and most of us thought he would get some dominant minutes in Hamilton and be back up sooner than later.

But when Tinordi got to Hamilton, he hasn’t dominated. This is why he has continued to play in Hamilton when the Habs so clearly need him in the NHL: he simply isn’t ready yet.

• jols101 says:

He is a lefty too. Pateryn is the only righty that may be ready for NHL action.

• Chris says:

Bad morning! Just remembered that. :)

They were playing Tinordi on his off-side too, which is probably why I got confused.

It is amazing how much the Habs have struggled to find right-handed defencemen. Yannick Weber is now gone, Raphael Diaz is in everybody’s doghouse, and Magnus Nygren has returned to Sweden. Guess we have to wait to see if Dietz or Thrower work out.

• jols101 says:

No worries, you know more about hockey than mostly anyone else on here. If you remember back to pre-season and the first few games of the regular season, Tinordi looked great. He looked like one of our strongest d men. Then he got moved to the right side and the wheels feel off hard.

Him and Emelin, d men that play the game physical, look extremely bad on their wrong sides. I think it throws off their timing and they miss hits and find themselves in no-mans land way too often.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Chris

Not disagreeing with you, yet was 6 games to begin the year a fair chance?
        Now I know Morgan Rielly is a completely different Dman with an almost opposite set of skills, yet Carlyle has stuck with him all year – glaring mistakes included, and many were doozies.
        If you look at the brutal play of Bouillon, Tinordi should have had those learning minutes for at least 30-40 games…then make a decision.

And let’s not forget game 1 against the Leafs when his physicality sent a message that the days are over to be pushed around.
        Carter Ashton’s broken nose would attest to that.

• Chris says:

The problem was that it wasn’t just 6 games to begin the year. I felt Tinordi looked like a lost lamb in the playoffs last season as well. And his play in Hamilton has not justified a promotion.

When he got demoted, the onus was on him to grab the bull by the horns and force them to promote him again. He hasn’t. That isn’t entirely his fault, as Hamilton is a pretty awful team right now. The problem is that Montreal’s prospect pool in North America is far shallower than I think most Habs fans realized.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Tinordi was far from the only Dman that looked lost in the playoffs last year, and it could be very understandable iff he began to get discouraged when he watches a Bouillon screw up more often than not.
            Completely agree about the talent pool.

• stevieray says:

This does not surprise me . While other organizations when calling up players want them to succeed ..MB/MT don’t appear to subscribe to this notion …

• scotland says:

pathetic really.

47. CH Marshall says:

Well… If we’re defending coaches, we should defend JM’s record. And Carbo’s too.

First post from my new shiny Macbook. It has that new computer smell :)

49. FormalWare says:

Jets hold off the Ducks, handling them their first home loss in regulation time.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• Kooch7800 says:

Was at the game. Great game by the Jets. The officiating was def going against the Jets.

tickets 4 rows back for 100 bucks a piece. Talked to the guy beside me who has corporate tickets for 6 grand 4 rows behind the ducks net. Insane how much we have to pay in Canada.

After watching the game live I would love to see Kane in a habs uniform. That kid is fast and competes hard. was also impressed with little and Wheeler. Big Buff is not a winger and honestly the Jets should trade him ASAP. They would be smart to move him over Kane or anyone else. He would get a decent return and I think won’t get better than he is currently.

Also from what I saw Selanne needs to retire. He looks two steps behind out there and was chirping the refs most of the game cause he can’t compete as hard. Great career but he is done. He was still getting quite a bit of ice for how he was playing.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

50. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

As much as I think MT has made mistakes, the guy people should be criticizing is MB. If he did not get Stephane Waite, he would have a failing grade this season. Don’t tell me about the draft because that is Trevor Timmins and those players are not in the NHL. With no significant improvements to the team, the Habs are still 3rd in their division. The Habs needed two power forwards and a power RH D-man…MB got none of them. He inexplicably signed Briere while stating the Habs need to get bigger (?????). What do you expect MT to do? He has to use Eller now with Pleks because Bourque sucks, Briere is too small and nobody is big in Hamilton. At least MT finally moved Emelin to his natural left and Briere to center. Hopefully MB will do something other than looking in the mirror…

• CJ says:

No he didn’t. Even with the value of hindsight, who could he have gotten? Two power forwards and one power defenceman?

I’m not trying to be abrasive, but it’s just not that easy. Our team would be better with Jamie Benn and Ryan Getzlaf up front, and Kevin Bieksa on defence, no doubt. It’s not that easy though. Who would you have targeted?

Take a look at capgeek. There isn’t going to be a cure all available this year either, unless you want to offer huge cash on long term deals.

Patience my friend. This is a transition year.

• christophor says:

Lots of people were pointing out that MacArthur was undervalued and could be had for cheap. Others thought Jagr was a good idea and they had good reasons that have been validated. There were several other mid-level forward options (e.g. Penner) people were touting as undervalued. I can’t think of one FA that people were touting who has turned out worse than Briere. The kicker is that this isn’t hindsight. The reasons why those other free agents have done well while Briere has done poorly were predicable and were predicted.

On defence, I remember arguing about how the Habs should sign Tom Gilbert. Instead, Murray’s an anchor and Gilbert is a top-4 right handed Dman, playing big minutes for dirt cheap.

What do you get if you remove Briere and add MacArthur and/or Jagr? If you remove Murray and Bouillon and add Gilbert and one of the Hamilton kids? You get this year’s team plus a top-6 forward and a top-4 defenceman. Call me crazy, but that’s exactly what Montreal needs. That’s a team that could have made noise, and with much less luck than they need now.

Or you can just say every year that it’s a transition year.

• Kooch7800 says:

MB doesn’t get a pass in my books. His biggest test though will be this off season.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• CJ says:

Penney in this market would have been a disaster.

Every year is not a transition year. I said this year and next are. Following that I would expect them to push forward. This is still a new management team with less then 2 years on the job.

• The Jackal says:

I agree the shortcomings of the team are more on MB’s shoulders, but I do think that MB is trying to make this team better. When you pick stuff like say get bigger yet he signs Briere, that’s a bit of cherry-pick. He also brought in Murray and Parros and their toughness has helped in that regard.
      But I do agree with you MB has a lot of work to do and that his signings have not worked out. Nonetheless, I think the scoring and size will come via trade rather than free agency, and it is still important to not sacrifice key parts of our future just to make a move. It’s better to be patient and get it right than improve the team at the expense of consistent success. Like if we traded for a UFA, we may get better this season, but if we don’t win the cup, what was the point, and how do we make up for the assets lost?

The bright side of this losing stretch is that it highlights the key areas in need of improvement.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• christophor says:

- Briere was a bad mistake and it was obvious beforehand. That’s not a cherry pick.

– I should hope that every GM is trying to make the team better, so if that’s the best defence of Bergevin, that’s pretty damning.

– Murray and Parros were mistakes. Parros’ 3-5 minutes can be lived with, but you can’t have a Dman who plays up to 1/4 of a game and who basically ensures the puck is in Montreal’s zone when he’s on the ice.

-There were several top-6 forwards and at least one top-4 dman who were cheap and could have made the Habs a notably better team. Again, people were saying so beforehand and for good reasons that were and are often dismissed around here (“stats? thorough analysis? who needs that? dur turka jurr!”)

I’m not anti-Bergevin. I think it’s clear that he had a very poor year in the office but I have hope that he’ll see that and learn from him rookie mistakes. I just don’t see how anyone can thoughtfully conclude that he hasn’t been making significant rookie mistakes.

• The Jackal says:

I’m not saying he did not make mistakes, he clearly has, and the signings did not pan out as he hoped.
          But Briere is the only real mistake out of the signings. Lots of talk about Murray scoring poorly in advanced stats, and that’s undeniable, but those stats do not measure intangibles. He has also been good on the PK.
          Anyhow, while MB did make these mistakes, they cost the team nothing other than a few more potential wins. There was no one out there who would have made the team markedly better, and that’s the point people forget when criticizing MB’s recent moves.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I could at least somewhat justify all of PG’s moves whether they worked out or not.

What I’m starting to find most frustrating is that every year for the past 5 or 6 years, there has been a small group of players that are always a waste of space, and everyone knows it, but nothing is ever done. Now I realize that Gomez, and Campoli, and Kaberle, and the others are hard sells, but it seems like we always give them more ice time, or give them more responsibility, or continue to use them improperly.

I don’t get why it’s so hard to see that Parros is a GA waiting to happen every time he steps on the ice, or that Murray can’t make a pass to save his life (it looks like he’s swinging his stick around like a bad tennis player), or that Emelin is struggling on his off side, or that Boullion is somewhat over the hill, or that Diaz can’t hit the net, or that Briere cannot play the wing or the fourth line…

I mean they have to try something! Make a trade. Send them to the minors. Bench them, or better yet, never sign them in the first place. And I get that it’s a business and you can’t trade everyone, but do something. At least one thing. Right now maybe, move Emelin back to his strong side, stop playing Parros, stop playing Murray, call up Pateryn for the third pairing, trade one of the centres, trade Diaz and call up Beaulieu… Try something!

• scotland says:

“atleast mt finally moved emelin to his natural left abd brierre to center”

who is responsible for having out of their natural position in the first place. chucky on wing for two seasons? gorges on his wrong side. beulieu sstaring on his wrong side against the pens tonight? gionta on the powerplay and penalty kill? boulion playing period is a bone headed move.

mt should have been replaced already.

bring on the olympics.

51. habsfan2014 says:

When you agree to coach the CH, you agree that unless your last name is Bowman, you will not last more then a few years before you get tossed. MT has done the best he can but I’m sorry folks we will not win with him. He lost his dressing room in Pittsburgh just before the won the cup and it will happen again unless Price decides to steal a CUP like Roy did in 93.

I disagree to this day with MT second tour. That being said, Bergevin has alot of work to do if ever we expect to even dream of a championship.

52. vegas says:

just heard MT`s interview on RDS regarding Beaulieu playing right D. He finishes off by saying someone will have to play there cause we can`t have everyne play the left side. Could someon nufge him and tell him Gorges played almost 2 season on the right side of Markov!!!

Either Gorges has so much pull or our coach is an ignorant

53. God Bowen and Millen are back on the Cup train!

Quote of the night. While talking about Patrick Roy’s famous night vs Detroit in 95.

Bowen- “I’ll never forget that March of 95 when Patrick walked up to Cory”
    Millen- “Remember it well, I worked that game”

Classic!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

54. Laramy87 says:

3 Games in hand but the Leafs have now caught us in points. Great now i get to listen to the Toronto media start talking about Stanley Cup in Toronto

55. The Jackal says:

Looks like a couple of the inmates took control of the HIO asylum for the psychotically unreasonable :P

Even if you could actually blame MT for this, how many times can people post the same intolerable garbage before they get bored of it? Eh, I don’t want to know.

If it MT bugs you so much, maybe try to find a hobby that doesn’t involve thinking about him so much, like knitting. One could also try to see the forest for the trees, maybe meditate and keep some perspective. Scotty Bowman would be hard pressed to squeeze a few more wins from this roster.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• rljmartin says:

Complain all you want about posters but do not belittle the great Scotty Bowman by saying he could barely do better than MT. What a comparison! Good grief….

• The Jackal says:

It was to make a point.
        Any coach, no matter how good or how bad, can only work within the roster he has. This roster is not built to win yet it has a lot of character and has managed to win more than it loses. Nonetheless, changes behind the bench won’t turn it into a contender.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CJ says:

Ever heard the expression, you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken s$$t? We are too small overall, and the guys with size play a small man’s game. That, IMO, is the biggest issue.

• formerly known as the hc says:

The funny thing is that in one breath, it’s the coaches fault and in the next half the team should be traded because they are totally useless BUT they should command one heck of a player in return AND the GM should be fired because he couldn’t get Crosby in a trade for DD, Murray and a pick.

• CJ says:

I actually am in the habit of completely skipping over comments offered by the usual flame throwers.

It’s totally a waste of time. Unfortunately, the numbers grow with each loss, or in the case of this week, each day the Canadiens are off.

I’d love to offer an open challenge and ask these couch GM’s to compile their list of moves so that we could sit back and ridicule them next year. That however is unproductive.

I’ll continue to sift through the layers of dirt to get to the gold. In many cases the thoughtful posts make the sifting worth the effort.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah, agreed. It’s too bad there is much fluff and so little substance.
        At least if they strung together something more thoughtful than “MT sucks” it would perhaps be a compelling read.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• scotland says:

if mt bashers bug you so much maybe try that does not involve thinking about them so much, like knitting.

“scotty bowman would be hard pressed to squeeze a few more wins from this roster”

so would i. thats the only reason you can come up with for mt to keep his job…..the team sucks??? lol yea they stink anyways so keep the coach, heck throw in a raise and extensions while your at it.

here markov is being moved to the wing and subban may play in goal.

56. Win or Not, that’s coaching folks! Well done Patrick!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

57. FormalWare says:

The latest episode of 24 CH – where Team Canada is announced and the Habs beat the Hawks – is the best yet. It’s as if the writers/director/editors took a page from the HBO Sports Reality TV Manual. Better use of music and imagery to set a mood, and a better command of narrative.

Still something to be desired, though. They are trying to cover too many events, and thus watering down certain points – or omitting them, entirely. For example, they might well have sacrificed Brière’s visit to his junior team for a couple of precious minutes to focus on the amazing game Price played against Chicago. The way they tell it, both goalies “shut their respective doors” in the third. True – but woefully incomplete and misleading.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

58. GL says:

With the Leafs you never know what you’re gonna get but if they’re on look out and right now they seem to be on.

59. Laramy87 says:

Pens with a 5-1 loss to Panthers last night at home, ya i think they will be quiet the angry/hungry team. Going to be a tuff win thats for sure. It would be nice to come out of Pitts with the win. Lord knows we need it, lord knows we need a good game

60. bwoar says:

A wild Beaulieu appears!

The coaches must be hoping he can provide a spark on the power play. He’s an adventure in our own zone, but if he can get clicking with the man advantage it’ll be his ticket. Interesting challenge. It seems like the simplest way of getting back to winning consistently is scoring on the Powerplay, and the kid will be better than Gorges, right?

Wither Jarred Tinordi or a certain right handed Pateryn guy we’ve heard so much, yet so little about?

Why, learning to be good defenseman, I should hope. Neither player promises much offense, and would be wasted trying to jump start the tired PP system. Nor is it a good thing to take either out of Important roles on an improved team, just to join the merry-go-round of 5-6-7-8 defenseman who can barely defend. If we just want another body for the sake of trying, give Drewiske that honour.

Like it or not, our top 4 is:

Subban-Markov
    Emelin-Gorges

And everyone else, led by Boullion or sometimes Diaz, is just there fighting for a job. Right now it’s Nate’s to steal, but come training camp, our other prospects WILL get a shot, and between now and then they have everything to gain staying right where they are.

“thoroughbred”

61. ProHabs says:

Everytime I see Leblanc and then see Chris Kreider, I think Damn, what could have been.

• Never look back. If you can honestly say you would have taken Kreider than you should be in scouting, because at that position one pick is as good as the next unless picking top 5.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Habs made the right pick. It is easy years later to judge. At the time LL was projected at that spot and actually even higher. I was at that draft. Everyone was anxious that he would not be available. There was not a peep about Krieder…only McGuire. Anyway, if the Habs did not pick a Montrealer in Montreal, it would have been bonkers. They had no reason at all not to draft him and every reason to draft him. Nobody could be that clairvoyant.

• DipsyDoodler says:

If we’re gonna play that game … Mike Bossy, Denis Savard, ….

62. Wintercount says:

Jan, 2014

What happens if the team doesn’t follow the game plan, but still wins? – George Carlin

63. GL says:

Have a feeling we’ll lose to Pittsburgh a possible win against Detroit and a loss Saturday to Washington!!

• CJ says:

We need to beat Detroit and Washington. Buffalo aside these are the only teams in the eastern conference with a worse record over the previous ten games then Montreal. The habs need to capitalize.

Four out of six points this week.

64. CJ says:

Could this be the night that Anaheim finally suffers a loss on home ice? The Jets are up one after the first period of play.

A remarkable run, especially considering they moved Bobby Ryan.

65. Steven says:

Carlyle was on the chopping block as recently as a week ago, and now Leafs fans are back on board with him as the coach.

Kind of sounds like how we’ve been with Therrien a few times this season and last…

Just putting it in perspective, here. If you really think Therrien is the wrong coach for the team, then by all means, believe that. Just don’t turn tail on that when this team starts winning again, alright? Hypocrisy is never a good thing.

• CJ says:

Good post. Unfortunately balance is lost on a few.

I’m looking forward to watching Toronto play Dallas and Winnipeg, who are both desperate teams. Amazing the difference a week can make. Our new week starts tomorrow. Let’s make it count.

• SlovakHab says:

Last year, Therrien was a good coach. We played really well.
        This year, without Price’s heroics and Subban’s dominance, we are well behind Toronto.
        We did have a nice winning streak, but few people will say that we played well. We got lucky.
        Therrien changed the style of this team’s play, and we are wasting amazing Price’s season and low Subban’s contract on a mediocre season that won’t last too long, unless Therien reverts to the one we knew 10 months ago.

• The Jackal says:

That’s what a lot of people say but that’s not true.
          Reverting to the first system would be a big mistake.
          People keep saying that we should change back but they forget that the last month or so of last season was terrible – that system was exploited and shut down and the Habs were bent over a log.
          I think the current system is a bit of an improvement, if only because we’re doing a better job defensively. At the same time, people will say something like “but we aren’t scoring because of this system!” That’s baloney. We were getting plenty of goals at the start of this season at even strength and on the PP. What’s changed?
          Well, Eller never did carry on scoring, Gionta has declined, Bourque is invisible (last season he was actually good), Gallagher is not on pace for the 30 we hoped, Ryder’s 30 goals are gone and replaced by no one, and Diaz is generating any offense this year.

If it were a simple matter of changing systems, that would have already happened. Our main problem is the lack of scoring – that comes from the players and lack thereof.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• SlovakHab says:

“We were getting plenty of goals at the start of this season at even strength and on the PP. What’s changed?”

The system changed after the start of the season. We didn’t play dump and chase the first month.

“Our main problem is the lack of scoring”

Yes – because under the new system we do not carry the puck in. We dump it, and it results in less shots and less goals. Almost the whole team got worse comparing to the last year, thanks to MT’s coaching and game plans. It’s becoming kind of obvious.

“but they forget that the last month or so of last season was terrible – that system was exploited and shut down and the Habs were bent over a log.”

We still played okay, but our shooting percentage went down. The system was good. We carried the play. We were a top team. Now we are average, with 2 superstars carrying the team.

How is that an improvement is beyond me.

• CJ says:

Well behind Toronto? We are tied while holding three games in hand. Regarding price and PK carrying the team….It’s as easy as me saying if not for Kessel and their goaltending….

When Montreal is undefeated in 10 games it’s lucky. When Toronto is undefeated in seven it’s earned.

I get the emotion that resides in each of us. I’m a fanatic myself, but let’s try and be fair and balanced with our commentary.

66. Plekasuares says:

Leafs tied with Habs

With 3 more games. Settle down.

67. adadi says:

Laffs tied with Habs. Really starting to smell like loserville around here.

68. SlovakHab says:

Kessel now at 26 goals, JVR at 20 goals… Toronto has a couple of good scorers for sure..

As for Jagr – 40 points in 51 games, not too bad. A really respectable tail end of his career. Would lead the best Hab forward by 11 points.

Even though I reckon that under Therrien’s dump and chase system, he would be a grinder with 22 points and people would point out that Briere has 4 more points than him, playing in Phoenix or somewhere.

69. WindsorHab-10 says:

Therrien:”We’ll have to follow the game plan to the letter”

Me: STFU

70. Good god, look out Ontario, Leafs are going to the Stanley Cup finals! :lol: It’s going to be unbearable on facebook!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

Bizarre a week and a half ago, and everyone in T.O. wanted Carlyle fired. Even some of the fans whom I thought would never diss Carlyle were kicking and screaming. Now?

• lol Patrick Roy said something along the same lines.

God, all my friends are Leaf fans. But only a couple are retarded Leaf fans. But still, this sucks :lol:

I better get my pregame speech ready for tomorrow, the boys are going to need my leadership. :lol:

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• CJ says:

When Roy made that statement today I just knew the Leafs would win.

They are hot right now. Everything is going their way. We just need to take care of our own business.

I doubt many would find logic in this reason, but in hindsight our losses to New Jersey, Toronto and poor play in Ottawa make a little more sense now. These teams are hot right now and playing well. Small consolation I agree, but it is worth noting.

• scotland says:

yes small consolation….”these teams are hot right now”

and we cant expect the habs to beat them. yes, hopefully some cold teams come in.

seen the habs win about two games this season where the other team played well. chicago and i cant remember the other one.

I’ll play; Maybe Boston?

• I look at those losses as poor play and illness, but shhhhhhhhhhhhh don’t tell anyone, most think we suck….well we do, but it could be worse. :lol:

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures
            Summit Member 1.29.31.33

71. scotland says:

therrien: “we will have to follow the game plan to the letter”

LMAO !!! like mt has a game plan.

plejs gionta never get broken up. only one defemceman cany kill penalties, pk subban. everyone else can.

rest of “game plan” consists of

juggle lines….juggle lines…..juggle lines. look at note book. ….juggle lines…..juggle lines……. leave pleks gionta together. play them to death in third period……….dont forget to juggle lines

St. Louis Blues Inside Out exploding right now?

73. CHicoHab says:

Pitt, Wings, Caps. 3 in 4 nites. Carey in the nets all 3?? Anyone heard. I hope so. All big games.

• Sorry I am dressing Peter Friday night.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• CJ says:

Buffalo aside, Detroit and Washington are the only two teams in the entire Eastern Division with worse records then Montreal over the previous ten games. These are must win games.

Pittsburgh, especially following a lopsided loss to Florida on home ice, will be very tough to beat. We need to salvage points on Friday and Saturday nights.

We need 4 points this week. Go Habs!

74. Trackpants says:

CJ I can’t impress in out how much I hope you are right… I have waited for years to not have to become instantly enraged by the extremely soft play of RafaD.

-Trackpants

• CJ says:

I think they give him a take it or leave it one year contract offer. If he declines, he will be on the block. I think they wait until after the Olympics in hopes that he improves his profile with a good tournament, where he is likely to see PP time and a larger role.

Just my two cents..