Leblanc, Beaulieu will be in lineup for Habs against Penguins

LouisLeblanc

Canadiens first-round draft picks Louis Leblanc and Nathan Beaulieu will be in the lineup Wednesday when the Canadiens play the Penguins in Pittsburgh (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Leblanc was called up from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs late Monday afternoon and Beaulieu was recalled on Sunday after playing the night before against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Penguins lead the Eastern Conference with 70 points, 11 points more than the fourth- place Canadiens. The Habs won their last battle with the Penguins, a 3-2 victory at the Bell Centre on Nov. 23 when Tomas Plekanec’s line kept Sidney Crosby off the scoresheet.

“We’re all aware of the challenge that awaits us there,” coach Michel Therrien said.

“We’ll have to follow the game plan to the letter,” the coach added.

It’s the second time that Leblanc has been called up this season. He practised Tuesday on a line centred by Michaël Bournival with Travis Moen.

“It feels good,” Leblanc said after practice about being back with the Habs. “It was a long wait. You never know with the injuries up here and whatnot. I’m happy to be back and it’s always fun to be in Montreal.”

Leblanc, who has nine goals and 11 assists in 36 games this season with the Bulldogs, said he feels his season has been going well.

“I’m contributing offensively and also improving my defensive game,” Leblanc said. “Getting better on the (penalty kill). Just little details of the game that I never really paid attention to before in my career and it’s for sure helping me out.”

Carey Price will start in net for the Canadiens in Pittsburgh.

Alex Galchenyuk, who is out with a fractured hand, skated on his own for the second day Tuesday. Ryan White (upper-body injury) also skated, but Therrien said the injury has been slow to heal.

“We’re still talking about weeks,” the coach said.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-Brière-Bourque
Moen-Bournival-Leblanc
Parros

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Beaulieu-Gorges
Murray-Bouillon

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Penguins preview, NHL.com

Precision engineering for Habs, Canadiens.com

Pacioretty and Desharnais The Odd Couple, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Canadiens scouting report (video), pittsburghpenguins.com

Latest Penguins news, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Martin Brodeur at home in Montreal (video), NHL.com

1. on2ndthought says:

I liked LL’s comment re: paying attention to little things he never did before. That sounds like a kid maturing. His skill package will get him a look, but it’s not enough to guarantee him an NHL job without maximum work, shift in and shift out. He might peak as a Plekanek type winger, so more opportunity to explode on breakaways; as he doesn’t need to be as involved down low defensively.

I think Therrien called up Beaulieu in order to let him contribute offensively. He gambles as much as Karlson, so he will put pressure on his defense partner and left winger; but also the opponents right side D. Hi risk, hopefully high reward.

Diaz is a much better NHLer than his detractors on this site will ever know. Unless, of course, MB lets him walk. When you see how Liles jump started Carolina, you get an idea of what Diaz could do if he wasn’t behind two pretty good D-men: PK and Marky.

“a cannonading drive”

2. Steven says:

7-1 Devils against the mighty St Louis Blues.

My goodness…

• dr. gesundheit says:

Wowsers

• CJ says:

7 goals on 23 shots?…..

Enter Ryan Miller.

I watched St. Louis earlier this year in Ottawa. Brian Elliot is terrible, handling the puck like a hand grenade. They won’t go anywhere unless they upgrade this key position.

• Steven says:

St. Lou’s tight against the cap. If they’re looking for Miller, maybe we could help them by taking a key player off their hands… :)

• CJ says:

I don’t think they have a choice. Goaltending is the one chink in their armour. Unfortunately it’s a major hole. They aren’t going anywhere with Halak and Elliot. On an aside, Halak has done nothing to improve his value as a UFA. He is struggling, while playing behind one of the best defences in the league.

3. Trackpants says:

Trade implies another team would want these plugs… I am afraid we are talking about waviers friends… Waviers, aleast were not talking about buy outs anymore.

- Trackpants

4. showey47 says:

Once again eller slotted at left wing and briere playing center on the 3rd line. Why does MT constantly put players in positions to not succeed? Its proven eller is a much better center then winger and the pleky line plays its best hockey when they have briere on the left side. Why does common sense and MT repel each other like positively charged magnets?

• punkster says:

Hey, he’s gonna keep using Murray and Cube too I’ll bet.

Better off promoting a couple of Bulldog Ds and dump Murray and Cube for a fist full of The Gallagher coupons at McDonald’s to feed them while they’re here.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

5. CJ says:

Looks like the standings are going to compress even further. Columbus, New Jersey and Ottawa all appear headed for victories. The Rangers are in tight with the suddenly red hot Isles, but are playing much better hockey. The Leafs are rolling too.

Montreal needs two wins this week to keep their heads above water. We need to leverage these games in hand. This is a big week, but nothing is going to come easy, especially against the Penguins who will be in a bad mood following an embarrassing home ice loss to the Panthers.

• CJ says:

Leafs won this game in the first five minutes. When you get dominated, but rebound to score a very timely goal it absolutely deflates your opponent. Adding the second at the end of the period was the back breaker.

6. Trackpants says:

Anderson is a baby, “you don’t see us celebrating like that when we got our OT goal”

I didn’t see the referee call a made up penalty against you’re best Dman with less then a minute left in that game either Anderson.

-Trackpants

7. Denjen says:

Speaking of Ovie– don’t recall anybody having a problem with Ovechkin laying his stick on the ice and warming his hands over a fire when he scored! Just one of many of his past celebrations – PK tugs the CH for hab fans and the opposing team has a freak out!!!!!!!!

• jols101 says:

Man, that’s old news. Everyone has moved past that. TSN producers are actively exploring everything about PK in the hope to find yet another story they can completely blow out of proportion.

• dr. gesundheit says:

avs swarming the loafs…Reimer bars the door…leafs with the longest Hail Mary bank pass to kessel…1 zip lumps.

• CJ says:

Leafs are getting the bounces and creating their breaks. They’ve played kitty by the door hockey all year. It’s as close to a rope a dope strategy as I’ve seen since the Habs beat the Capitals in round one.

9 shoot out wins and 10 wins in which they were at least doubled in shots against. This is nothing new.

• jols101 says:

I just saw the highlight of that goal, I hate the Leafs, but that was a nice, planned play by the Princess and Kessel buried it like a 40 goal scorer should.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Joe Bowen just said lumps haven’t had a sog in last 8 min ( the goal ) shots 11 – 2

• CJ says:

I’d be shocked if the leafs lost tonight. This is their game. Bend, don’t break, and score on the counter rush. Bernier has the advantage of having seen many of the western conference teams, so he has a degree of familiarity.

All we can do is take care of our business.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Sunny Jim is in net.

• CJ says:

I know, I’m watching. Bernier helps with the scouting though.

Huckleberry Finn and his oh shucks drives me crazy. Add the painting of Cherry on his helmet, and I’m ready to punch the kid.

8. Trackpants says:

I am not sure Murray would be that bad if we had someone to play him with that was a true NHL calibre defenseman.
    Murray hasn’t been playing all that bad, of late. I wish I could say the same for Emilin, Diaz or Georges. The jury is still out on Markov, dispite his goals against CHI I am not sure we could justify renewing his contract at the current price…
    -Trackpants

• Hobie Hansen says:

Murray has been playing quite well the past 5 games. I was disappointed when he wasn’t in the lineup against the Leafs due to injury. I would have way rather had him in there over Diaz or Bouillon.

I’d resign Markov only if he ended up being the only liability in the Habs end. Manage his 5 on 5 correctly. Currently Diaz, Bouillon, Murray and sometimes Gorges and Emelin are worse defensively than Markov.

Emelin should be better next year and hopefully Gorges settles down with a good partner. Bouillon, Murray and Diaz are all most likely gone.

• frontenac1 says:

Me too Hobie. I was hoping Murray could help Diaz play with some moxie and confidence, but no such luck. Time to cut bait with Diaz imo. He is still rushing his passes to avoid contact and can’t hit the net. He is supposed to be an offensive D, but look at his numbers. Adios Ralphie.

• SlovakHab says:

My respect goes to J. Jagr who scored again. 40 points in 51 games.
        What a career.
        Even at 41, he has 11 more points that any Hab forward at this point.

9. Trackpants says:

Do not trade Drewiski, when he gets healthy he will be a real positive on this mostly terrible D core.
    Diaz and Emilen??? I hope MT is kidding.
    I much perfere the tortoise and the hare line if we are going to handicap ourselves by dressing these guys…
    -Trackpants

• AH says:

+1, we still haven’t seen what Drewiskie can do, the sample size is too small, but I still think he wasn’t as bad as people say he was, and I’d take him over old stumpy Cube, Swiss Miss Softy Diaz, and weakling cheerleader Gorges.

10. Wintercount says:

Games left in schedule 33
    8 of these are back to back
    14 others with 1 days rest

think that is accurate, but stand to be corrected.

11. habstrinifan says:

Habfan10912JANUARY 21, 2014 AT 8:09 PM:

LOL. Say what you will but admit it guys. You all miss that big lug Nuna, dont ya? :)

frontenac1JANUARY 21, 2014 AT 8:21 PM
    Yeah Jim, I’ve missed that little bugger for a while now. Maybe he is on a walkabo

OK guys I wanna be part of the camaraderie too. I want to feel the sense of loss of a friend. Whom or what are we missing?

A big Lug or a little bugger? I need to know how to grieve.

12. frontenac1 says:

Sens 1 Caps 0 after 2. I just want to see Erskine beat up a Sen. I don’t really care which one.

13. Habfan10912 says:

Entertaining Ranger/Isles game thus far.3-3.
    Those high scoring Devils have chased Elliot to lead 5-1.

Ovie out with a lower body injury. Question. Saturdays Habs/Cap game us one if those “premium ” games and as such the tickets prices were increased by a lot. So if Ovie doesn’t play do we get s refund?
    Didn’t think so.

14. Hobie Hansen says:

It seems people around here are just petrified of the word “rental”. I think with Beauleau, Tinordi and Pateryn almost assured jobs next year (at least two of them) a “rental” on defence is exactly what Montreal needs.

Even if you’re not among the top teams in the playoff picture you still have to take a run at it! People that think Bergevin and company are just thinking we’ll probably lose in the first round so who really cares anyway, are crazy!

Trading a 2nd round pick for a defenceman who will be a UFA when the season is over is not going to even make a dent in the Habs future. Bergevin is smart, he’ll probably acquire more picks in a trade down the road anyway.

My only wish is that before the deadline the Habs pickup a reliable defenceman, an upgrade over Diaz, Murray and Bouillon. Then said defenceman doesn’t resign next year and Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn are given the green light.

The defence is what is killing this team right now.

Respectfully I ask, Does a rental get us that much closer to being a contender? I just dont think it does. Part of me still thinks (maybe hopes) that MB is prepared to start calling up our Defence prospects (as evidenced by Beaulieus callup) but is/was trying to get the most out of what he had first.

I would rather watch our Beaulieu or Tinordi or Pateryn finish the year up and save the cost of trading a valuable pick or prospect.

I don’t disagree our Defence needs help, but we desperately need scoring help as well if we are going to make noise in the playoffs.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Again, making the playoffs is a blessing. Remember when NJ made the finals against L.A. a couple seasons ago? NJ wasn’t all that great. Remember when the Habs took out the Pens and Caps?

We need scoring, sure, I agree. In saying that, the less time spent chasing the puck around in our zone the more time we have to play in the other teams’ zone.

When the playoffs start you have a 1 in 16 chance to win it all right? Those aren’t the greatest odds. Once you’re out you have to wait an entire year just to test those crappy odds again. So as a result, you HAVE to make the best of it every chance you get!

Hard to dispute that Hobie, I guess I am just gunshy about rentals after our last regime emptied our cupboard thus our current lack of goalscoring prospects.

• Coach K says:

I have to agree Burly. I would like to see those guys finish with the parent club too but to not just to avoid paying for a rental. Rentals make sense if your team is contending for a cup and you need that one intangible they can bring. Its pretty clear even to the most delusional Habs fan among us that this team is going the right way but as it stands now, is not a serious playoff contender. Its also clear that the current level of performance by some of the vets is insufficient. As such, MB knows exactly what they can and cannot bring.
        The kids on the other hand, are the unknown quantity at the NHL level. What better way to test them than to let them play regular shifts under all circumstances? MB then gets to see who who can handle the pressure, who gets exposed and even better, who can rise above the pressure (like PK did). The worst that happens is: a) the kids don’t offer any improvement and the team drops like a stone in the standings – which could just as easily happen with under-performing vets, b) the rookies crumble and the vets go back in a bit hungrier, c) MB finds out who may never be good enough and starts looking for other assets. The upside is that: a) the vets get a wake-up call, b) MB finds out who is ready for prime time and who needs more development, c) MB gets a better read regarding who should be offered up at the trade deadline and d) MB potentially fills a roster spot for next season.

If they use this approach it will only serve to help Bergevin and staff properly assess the talent pool with little risk.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• HabFab says:

My biggest disappointment with Bergevin was how he spent the FA money he had during the summer… he could have done so much better.

• CJ says:

Taking a look at the UFA list, who would you target as a rental?

• JUST ME says:

If it means we get a rental for a player that we would have lost for nothing anyway then it`s O.K. but otherwise it all depends on the price we have to pay . I think that not wanting a rental means that it won`t change the big picture this season anyway wich is probably true.

There is always the possibility also that the rental becomes a permanent with a new deal . I just do not know if the kids will be ready next season and you can add to those Nygren who will come back for pre season camp but is not interresrted in going in Hamilton. We never know.
      Only thing for sure a few spots will be available on that d-squad !

I think that there is also a stong possibility that one or many trades may be done before the final deadline but one thing is certain , draft choices and kids are probably untouchables.

• JohninTruro says:

Hobie the “rental” has very, very rarely panned out for any team taking “advantage” of this opportunity. I am all about keeping picks and building a thick pipeline instead of a guy for 2 months who will walk away (or likely walk away) after that. We aren’t going to the promised land, I would not touch a rental.

• habbernack says:

A rental isn’t going to get us closer to the cup so why waste a second round pick.

• Mark C says:

I think you might be underestimating the value of defenseman at the deadline. Doug Murray got traded for TWO second round picks last year. Good chance it will take more to get this defenseman than just a second.

• Clear Eyes Full Hearts says:

Don’t underestimate the value of a 2nd round pick.

—P.K. Subban

15. HabFab says:

Fucale just sets Q record with 100 wins in his first 145 games.

16. Bripro says:

I have the perfect trade proposal, and this will satisfy not only Canadiens’ fans, but all Canadians. I’m certain.

Straight up …. one for one.

Poopie head Harper for Benjamin Netanyahu
    Israel will be happy because they’ll no longer have to pay for their leader’s air miles account,
    and we’ll all be happy to get rid of a big body who drags his feet, sees his performance as pretty good, even though he’s at a dismal +/- of somewhere in the – $460Billion.

17. habstrinifan says:

I would like to add to my remarks re Therrien and the HABS brass coming to terms a bit with reality.

This is my conjecture. Deliberate wording to pre-empt those clever folks who cant pass up the opportunity to say “yeah you must be in the dressing room eh”.

I think that unlike those who say well we still have 3 games in hand etc, HABS management have gotten serious about the slide the team is on.

I am basing my ideas on the article “Precision engineering for Habs, Canadiens.com”

Great title by the way. But when I read it I get a few things:
    a) The coach(es) have realized that the drop in ranking re offense is too precipitous.
    B) I think the call ups reflect a new determination, based on the language being used and the assignment in practices.
    c) The coach (mngmnt) have made some practice changes which focus not on ‘shoring up weaknesses’ but accentuating strengths.
    P.K and Markov and Emelin back on the his natural side.
    c)The words of the coach is just as the article is captioned. He seems to have some preciseness about his plans now.

Now I know the forward lines are still difficult to pin down .. but I think he has made a good shift there too(with what he’s got).

The big question is “can he help himself” during the real game. Can he not react to the first turnover or setback.

We’ll see.

Again this is my simple minded observations. Bottom line the whole damn tone of that article is more freakin positive than I have seen in a long time.

• adadi says:

The coach realized what most of the bloggers here have known for over a month. Sorry, but he is incompetent.

• habstrinifan says:

But incompetence is not permanent… as long as you are willing to learn. Maybe we hired someone at the wrong stage of that learning curve but as long as he is learning I am good.

That article and the moves today encourage me. Who knew it would take a Joonas Nattinen?

LOL!

You could be on to something there Trini, given that is an article from the Habs official website, it would have been blessed by the Habs (I’m guessing).

There are some interesting points to it as you have outlined.

• habstrinifan says:

I really like the article.

You are spot on to point out that this is coming from the HABS official website. Not a beat reporter lament.

I mean look at the wording.

“A clear sense of urgency was felt by the coaching staff of the Canadiens in the past week. Having dropped five of its last ten decisions and seen its offensive output drop to 22nd overall in the NHL after hovering near the top-five for most of last season”

I like! I like!

My caution is as I posted, can Therrien stay the course during the game. Coaching is hard and it is extremely difficult to fight against your gut instincts/habits.

• boing007 says:

Could we get a blessing from the Pope while we’re at it?

Richard R

18. frontenac1 says:

Louie Lou-eye! Oh, babe, we got to go now! Saludos amigos!

19. Caesar says:

I was reading the post earlier today about Crisp using twitter to come out. I don’t really care one way or the other but I started thinking…Montreal must have a huge gay following and what an openly gay star would mean to what must be tens of thousands gay Habs fans.

20. JohnBellyful says:

Here are my ‘lines’ for tomorrow night:

“Not another dump-in? Gimme a break!”
    “Icing! ICING! There wasn’t a guy within 10 feet of you when you fired it off the glass”
    “Three power plays and one shot? ONE SHOT?”
    “For gawd’s sake, Therrien, call a timeout!”

21. HabFab says:

Boston sucks… you heard it here first!

Rick Nash making Yzerman look real smart with his appointment to Olympic team. 2 goals tonight, apparantly 9 goals in last 9 games.

23. JohnBellyful says:

I’m curious: What would have happened if Tortorella, knowing what Hartley had in mind, had instructed all five of his skaters not to resist but to cover their heads as soon as they were physically attacked by the Flames?
    Would the refs have had the guts to follow league rules and hand out five majors to the Calgary players?

“46.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.
    A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.”

That would have been brilliant strategy on Tortorella’s part, exploiting the situation to start off the game with the other side getting five majors, giving Vancouver two consecutive five-on-three power plays and another one with a man advantage – and none of the Flames could return to the ice after any Canuck goal!
    Brilliant, but the neanderthals of the league, especially the goof in the garish garb, would berate the Canucks for ‘tortorling’, and accuse them of disgracing themselves and hockey by behaving in such an unmanly fashion, while ignoring altogether Calgary’s thuggery, which does so much more to diminish the sport.

24. adadi says:

Look for the Habs to get creamed if they use these line combos tomorrow. This coach is not an NHL coach. Pathetic.

25. MikeHabs says:

If MT does go with the first 6 on D then I am happy. Emelin to natural side while Beaulieu gets a trustworthy partner that will allow him to go up in the play without worrying too much. On forwards though, I want the kids to get more of a chance. Prust doesn’t need to play in the top 9.

Most recent Habs prospect update is out! Includes video & further reading: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/prospect-update-jan-13-19/

26. habstrinifan says:

I am surprised the Patrick Roy video(posted by Shiram) where he ‘laughs’ at the Leafs has met with silence.

Seeing how deathly afraid we Habs fans re bulletin board stuff. Here is good old Patrick telling Leafs to bring it.

And if the Leafs bring it and beat the Avs, your response will be?

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I imagine Saint P. would be singing a different tune if he didn’t have a team that was so strong (i.e. the Habs).

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I am impressed with the job Patrick has done, and I am very happy for him. He is still one of my favourite Habs, and I even hope that one day if the fit is right he can be the Habs coach. But given our present roster, given we had a rookie (still more or less have) GM, I do not think his first year behind the bench in Montreal would have been so rosy.

Part of being real smart is picking your spots. Patrick did a very good job in having that young stacked Colorado team be his first gig as an NHL Head Coach.

I also recognize his comments regarding the Leafs is genuine, he will never sugar coat how he feels. It is part of what made him so successful and part of what caused the trade to occur.

I just don’t think comparing his scenario in Colorado to ours in Montreal is Apple to Apple. Complete different type rosters, complete different fan pressure and complete different media pressure.

• Mattyleg says:

Exactly.
            Agree totes!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habstrinifan says:

Quite significant differences. Your point is well taken.

And oh yeah… completely different coaching perspective. Roy walks outta the dressing room ready to kick some arse.. our coach walks out of the dressing room ‘carefully with caution.’

Enough of this anyways. We will always be on opposite sides re MT.
            However I have to tell you that I am noticing a change in preparation for the upcoming weeks. I really am. If you read this article, Precision engineering for Habs, Canadiens.com, linked to above you may get a clear picture that MT and the Canadiens brass have had enough of the tentative approach.

It is left to be seen if during the game MT can help himself. I am getting convinced he is about ready to be a different coach…

OOOPS!!!!…

Seriously though one cannot predict the outcome of a game based on ‘bulletin board’ material… whether it fortifies the instigator or arouses the opponent.

What can definitely have an effect on a team and how it plays a game is either the coach or captain or some leadership symbol giving the members of that team the confidence to dismiss all nerves or fear of the enemy and just go out and play aggressively and most importantly, fearless of the enemy or of making an error.

Roy in that video has it. I dont know about you, but I cant see a player taking the ice tonight having worried about how big a foe the other team is. No one will be saying “This is Toronto boys” … which I heard about Boston from… well I better not go there.

• JohnBellyful says:

Don’t be surprised if you see Carlyle head over to the Avs’ dressing room after the first period.

• JUST ME says:

Classic Patrick Roy. Have not seen any images but just to hear the audio part we could see his classic Patrick Roy smirk.

27. munch17 says:

I hope they give LL a real shot.
    Ideally he would put him with DD and Max since he has really improved his ability to win some battles on the boards.
    This would allow Gally to get back with Eller – and maybe get Bourque going -at least until Chucky is back.
    Now this runs the risk of DD and Max falling flat again – but would’t that be worth learning?

• dr. gesundheit says:

Hoping LL gets a real shot and does well…as well. Not overly optimistic but seems Iike a good kid with promise.

• stevieray says:

I was thinking the same thing . It just seems anytime we call someone up they are put in position to either fail or get 4th line limited ice time . Skill guy ..needs skill players ..just ask Bournival .
      I would also like to see Eller back at center.
      This Briere signing is just friggin’ every thing up …

28. habstrinifan says:

Know you folks dont like Eklund. But he has a doozy for us. His rumour chart says we are 20% probable in acquiring Kane from the Peg and we wont have to give up ANYTHING…

Please all go click his site. Power of positive thought. Would Kane have to drive Hiway 17 to get to Pittsburgh in time?

29. shiram says:

Patrick Roy on the Leafs :
    ” Avalanche coach Patrick Roy: “Two weeks ago in Toronto I thought the Leafs were going to trade everybody. Now they’re talking about winning the Stanley Cup”

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! I dare anyone to go look at that interview and not think “Man that guy knows his stuff; is confident bout his team; just exudes positives”. I know he blows up but WOW! Can I play for you Patrick?
      Signed _______________________ of the Canadiens.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well, that’s Toronto in a nutshell from one week to another, isn’t it? They’re always either planning the parade or contemplating suicide.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

30. ABHabsfan says:

Here’s a trade proposal-
    Bork to Phoenix for Derek Morris. Granted Bork may not get this done but given that he is signed for a couple more years at a reasonable cap hit and Morris is UFA next year, Phoenix may want to maximize assets and have cost certainty. It has been reported that Pho is looking for forward depth, Habs need a solid vet d-man and Morris is a RH shot.
    Just what the doctor ordered IMO

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• habstrinifan says:

Therrien to Avalanche plus $50mill for Patrick Roy.

Molson will recoup that money in 1 week.

• You know, that’s actually a pretty good idea. Might take more than Bourque, but really not much more. Maybe a lowish pick.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

31. HabFab says:

The Bulldogs website takes a closer look at Fournier;

32. Hobie Hansen says:

So It seems Ray Ferrero shares the same opinion as most people on the planet. He just said the Habs defence is in BIG trouble on TSN690.

Forwards are too small to keep the puck in other end which is extremely taxing on a weak Habs defence.

I would imagine Bergevin’s best option would be to trade a 2nd rounder at the deadline for a steady 5th or 6th defenceman who will be a UFA at season’s end. Ideally it would be a top 4 defenceman but that would cost more than a 2nd rounder.

The reason you want a rental is because the Habs are resigning Markov and Subban while they already have Gorges and Emelin under contract. If he makes a move for a defenceman with a few years left on his deal it doesn’t really leave much room for Pateryn, Tinordi and Beauleu.

• bwoar says:

No rentals. FFS call up a kid. It’s stupid to give up these picks year in and year out.

“thoroughbred”

• Hobie Hansen says:

I could live with giving up a 2nd rounder for a rental. I don’t think any of the kids are going to give us that much of an edge on what we’ve got at this point. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so. Next year for sure.

With the way the defence is now they’ll get slaughtered in the playoffs, if they make it.

I think a 2nd rounder is worth strengthening the team for the playoffs.

• JF says:

I agree. The kids are not that far from being ready. Let them play and learn. It might cost us a playoff spot, but we’re not going anywhere in any case this year, and next season they’d be better. All a rental would do would be to get us to the playoffs; the team we’ve watched for most of this season is not winning any playoff rounds, so what’s the point? Picks and prospects should be given up only for players who will form part of the future of the team.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Again, I’m talking about one 2nd rounder. Not half the farm system and 5 picks. I believe one big and steady defenseman could make a significant difference for this team. An upgrade over Diaz, Bouillon and Murray.

We might not be Pittsburgh or Boston after a move like that but you just never know what can happen. All you have to do is make it to the dance in sports. Remember when we beat Chicago a week and a half ago…ya just never know.

The Leafs were dead two weeks ago and now they’re on fire!

• JF says:

If the big, steady defenceman would sign for next season, I’d do it. Otherwise no. We’re just not good enough – too small, too soft, not enough offensive talent, or at least not enough that has performed well this year. At our very best, we can handle a fast-skating puck-possession team like the Blackhawks, but any team that relies on an aggressive forecheck and on taking away time and space can get the better of us. Look how much trouble the Florida Panthers have given us this year. This is especially true during the playoffs, when the referees become even blinder than they usually are. Look at our series against the Senators last year. It’s true that Price wasn’t playing well and that we had injuries; but the way playoff games are played and called favours big, physical, tight-checking teams. Chicago can win playing the way I love us to play because they’re good enough. We’re not.

Agree! Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Habfan17 says:

Bergevin has another alternative, trade Gorges and a pick or other player(s) to get a true 2nd pair right handed defenceman with size and an edge. MB could enquire about Wisniewski, okay not bigger, but plays with an edge and can man the 2nd PP, or Joh-nson from Colorado. That would give Nygren another year to develop and they could still put Pateryn on the 3rd pairing. It would also open a spot on the left side. Markov, Emelin and Tinordi/Beaulieu with Drewiskie as the depth guy.

Habfan17

• shiram says:

The Wiz was good, and could help us now, but I don’t think his caphit works for the Habs,5.5 millions untill 2017.
        If they wanna re-sign PK and Markov, even with dealing Gorges away, it might create a cap crunch.

• Habfan17 says:

Don’t forget, if they traded Gorges to get him coupled with letting Boullion and Murray go, then replacing them with Pateryn and one of Tinordi or Beaulieu, there would be space. Markov is the key! Will he take a 2 year extension for the same money?

Habfan17

• shiram says:

Murray and Bouillon would give 3 millions off the cap.
            Pateryn has to be re-signed, his deal expires this year.
            Beaulieur and Tinordi both make about a million each, if they play in the big league.
            That’s a saving of only about a million.
            Not so sure it works out ok.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Markhov would have to be replaced with the Wiz.

33. jimmy shaker says:

Any 2 of the four from the peg: Kane, Buff, Ladd or Wheeler

and these 2 from C-Bus: The Wiz and Gaborik

I like the habs chances now!

Shaker wishfully out!

34. Habs_101 says:

Markov – Subban

Tinordi – Pateyrn

Beaulieu – Gorges

Emelin – Nygren

Ellis – Diaz

By the start of next season this is going to realistically be our depth chart… Its time to start bringing the young guys in slowly over the end of the season here to give them exposure.

One thing that is painfully obvious when looking at this? Gorges and Emelin NEED to elevate their games remarkably quick. New deals by MB and sliding steadily down the depth charts. Really hoping these two turn it around, the habs are MUCH deeper with them playing better.

GO HABS GO!

• bwoar says:

Nygren went back to Sweden.

I’m pretty sure Gorges and Emelin will both be more prominent on our depth chart than what you have here.

It’s not set in stone that Markov returns.

Further to Emelin: after the injury he suffered, it’s reasonable to toss out the first 25 games, frankly. Really 25-40 games is more realistic. Consider that he missed training camp and 40 games, to me, seems closer to a minimum. So let’s not be too quick to judge him based on his current struggles.

“thoroughbred”

• Habs_101 says:

Nygren left for the rest of this season. Next season he will be back to the habs training camp for another go!

If Gorges is higher on our depth chart, then someone is really over-evaluating him, or the kids in Hamilton are not nearly as good as they are talked about. I love Gorges, but he hasn’t been great all season, and doesn’t seem to be improving.

I really hope you are right about Emelin, if he could get back to his play from last season it would be amazing for the habs, however until he does get to that level I have a tough time moving him up the depth chart.

There is no doubt about it, the habs need to upgrade their defense AND acquire TWO big top six scoring wingers to make them a contender. A long way to go, but closer than we’ve been recently!

GO HABS GO!

• habs001 says:

Emelin started to struggle on D before his injury…

• bwoar says:

Also I’m betting Darren Dietz makes the NHL and Morgan Ellis does not.

“thoroughbred”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup. And I think Dalton Thrower will be a Frankie Bouillon/Lyle Odelein mix.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Wow…(loved Odie’s play)…had a hatrick, and tied Harvey and Souray for most points (5 assists) in a game by a Hab (defence man or overall…not sure).

Then there was his enthusiasm and truck-u-lence level. (off the charts)

• habstrinifan says:

And what did we do… shipped him off to NJ. OH yeah for Stephane Richer, another forward whom we lost because Pat Burns was an a-hole.

• dr. gesundheit says:

yeah, no kidding eh?…I hear ya…(another seriously bone-headed move by Hab mgmnt during the past couple of decades…sigh

• piper says:

Some of the trades and signings over the last 20 years makes you wonder how smart these ex player GMs really are.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Yes…it’s like they undervalued compete level, toughness, pride in wearing the uni and enthusiasm.

• habstrinifan says:

Think if Morgan Ellis becomes a 3rd/4th line type player his chances are better. He essentially played that role in the Memoial Cup.
        And was good. If this was soccer he would be a great midfielder.

• boing007 says:

There is an abundance of DMen in the pipeline, but very few wingers and centres.

Richard R

35. Sportfan says:

So as I said yesterday in my NHL game I could trade Briere for Saku, well I traded DD instead :P his value was lower haha.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• shiram says:

My fourth line in NHL 14 is Eller, Horton and Tarasenko.
      Sure it’s fun, but those trade make no sense at all!

• Sportfan says:

LMAO What the heck are your first 3 lines then? I always try to leave my team alone in the first season, then the second season I change all of it!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• shiram says:

Well, I play with a buddy of mine, and since we are also table top gamers we are well versed in the science of min/maxxing.

We took the Blues, and went from there.
          We got Price and Hiller in nets, we wanted a leftie to throw other teams off.
          I don’t recall exactly the lines, Backes, Stewart, Oshie, Roy are all still there.
          We got Mike Green on D, as we wanted an puck moving.
          Anyways it’s a ridiculous team, and before we changed the settings we were averaging 10 goals for per game.

• jo_maka says:

In NHL 14 for my first season, I made an offer-sheet for McDonagh and got Justin Schultz from waivers :)

And after my second season, I drafted a unknown russian kid who ended up making the camp at a 78 rating for a rookie.

Good guy EA Sports help the fans cope with relentless mediocrity.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• smiler2729 says:

I offered Calgary Bourque for Cammalleri and was laughed at by the Flames’ cpu GM, I ended up throwing in Collberg, Beaulieu and some other prospect before they agreed… Gauthier is an idiot.

I played a playoff with my kid as the Phoenix Coyotes and Paul Bissonnette scored 2 goals in a game and was awesome, is this some sort of EA inside joke?

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

36. wjc says:

If I ruled:

I would say ‘Timo’ we get it you do not like Begervin or Therien. Now please SHUT UP!

You didn’t like Martin, you didn’t like Carboneau, you did not like Gainey, you did not like Gautier.

Some of the players I wish you would shut up about you broken record….D.D., Brier, Bourque there are many more, you always pick the bottom player and away you go.

Of course who could forget Gomez or Price

What do you like besides criticizing. What are your predictions for this year…miss the playoffs, get in but humilated in first round. Miss the playoffs, give up now, why not?…. all is lost….no hope. Even a winning streak will be followed by a loss

20 other teams do worse, but NO Canadiens are the worst by far at drafting, trading, free agents, hire coaches, G.M’s.

wjc

• smiler2729 says:

Hey, don’t pick on Timo, he’s our slingblade.

Like the National Enquirer, ya read it but it’s just bullsh*t.

Timo is like the wife or girlfriend that’s never happy unless they’re unhappy…

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• kalevine says:

his complaints are funny at least :)

• JUST ME says:

Thanks WJC ! It felt good just reading your comment and i totally agree on all points.
      Unfortunately there is always someone to say : don’t pick on Timo and it makes him a legit contributor to HIO when actually he is negative ,pessimistic and honestly i could do without. But there are others of the same category and i just do not want to get aggravated by those when i come here to share and enjoy MY team. When they are here i go away and let the other ones like you tell them to f. off . That way i do not spend negative vibes. Thanks again !

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah, he’s annoying…

_______________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
        The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• habstrinifan says:

You havent been following Timo have you?

He LOVES and LOVED MAB. And that guy we got from Boston who went overseas. Think is name starts with M.

I also think Timo secretly has a soft spot for Gionta. He has never gotten over Gionta crying in Therrien’s arms.

• GGtheHab says:

I get modded when ever I try to speak out against him…but I agree he is very annoying with his negativity.. and provides very little insight.

37. Bripro says:

Here’s hoping that the players give it everything they’ve got, and don’t stay glued in one spot, like Mrs. Brown’s knickers.

38. shiram says:

Flyers game is postponed tonight because of a snow storm

Got me wondering, when was the last time a Habs game in Montreal was cancelled because of the weather?
    I was thinking maybe the ice storms of 98, but the only one I could find online was about a game in 1971.

39. Habcouver says:

When does Price get a rest?
    Why not play Budaj tomorrow?

Waiting patiently for #25

40. rhino514 says:

I get putting Emelin on his good side, but I fear the second pairing could get lit up. Not confident at all about Diaz in the top four, and Yemmy isn´t himself yet.

• Phil C says:

They haven’t played much together yet either. It could be a bit of an adventure!

Diaz does better with a D partner that is mobile enough to support him properly, so it might work out. Emelin and Diaz complement each other more on paper than Markov-Diaz or Gorges-Diaz, however we’ll have to wait and see. I hope they give it more than a shift or two.

Util this team finds a reliable second pairing on D, they are not going anywhere.

• veryhabby says:

Maybe this is the team saying, you have to lead your pairing and don’t be relying on the stud partner you once had (lol)

Has Emelin ever been paired with PK? Just wondering. If Emelin returns to form, would he be a good partner for PK?

• Bob_Sacamano says:

It´s a disgrace it took so long to move Emelin to the left. He has played with Diaz before and I think Emelin Diaz will be significantly better defensively than Markov Emelin. Both can pass the puck (Emelin can´t on the right), Diaz is a decent skater and Emelin can really hit. I wouldn´t worry about them at all.

41. sCOTT1243 says:

+1 to comment below. But it looks like Beaulieu made an impression. Hope he stays awhile get him ready for next year. Bring up Tinordi next.

42. Coach K says:

All this talk about call ups has me thinking about how the Habs organization has messed up, rooked over and given up on young talent in the past. I’m hoping Bergvin has learned from past blunders of this type. Let me explain…

When young guys get called up they should be given every opportunity to succeed. However, if they are only going to be used marginally in favour of under-performing vets then they should go right back to the minors or not get called up at all. The long term objective is player development in which case as a player, you want to be playing lots of minutes as the go-to guy in every pressure situation you can. If that won’t happen with the big club then it makes more sense to send them back for development purposes. Nobody who was destined for stardom in this league was ever hurt by getting more development time. The time for them to make the jump to the big club is when they have nothing left to prove at the minor league level in their position/role. When that happens you must find room for them on the main roster. If you can’t because someone else is filling their role, then you must do right by both the player and the team and trade them. That way, they get to continue their career and you acquire the assets you do need in exchange. All parties win that way.

You must also let them play the role for which you groomed them. Don’t call up a play maker (eg. Louis Leblanc) or finisher and ask him to fill a 4th line checking role. If you need a grinder call one up. The same applies for defencemen. Don’t expect a stay-at-home guy to have the imagination or vision to be power play QB or a rushing defenceman to kill penalties or play shut-down defence without making mistakes. Too often this has happened and the prevailing wisdom has been, “oh yeah, that kid was ok in the minors but in the show he’s a bust.”

The Habs have made these plenty of these kinds of mistakes in the past and it cost them dearly. I can only hope they have the good sense to figure it out.

Am I wrong??

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• jo_maka says:

I tried to say this here after the Leafs loss, and someone replied ”Who cares about the Bulldogs ? It’s a farm team for f- sakes”……
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• CJ says:

This site, after a loss, is not worth visiting. The patients run the asylum.

• Habcouver says:

Yeah, it’s a bit discouraging. I get pretty distraught myself but let’s be realistic with the team we have now. They are not cup contenders now but will be if we continue to draft well and develop our talent from within.

Speaking of asylums, I’m going to watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest again.

Waiting patiently for #25

• wjc says:

The name of the game is ‘WIN’. You call guys up to fill a spot, hopefully.

What is a grinder, by the way….grinding it out. Playoff hockey I believe.

When you are skating back when the other team is attacking, you are grinding. When you are on the forecheck trying to get the puck you are grinding.

When you are checking in any situation you are grinding.

The jump from the American league to the National league is a pretty big step. Things are faster, it takes time to react to the speed.

Superstars get shut down in playoffs all the time, because of grinding in your face hockey.

All defencemen have to good one on one, positional play, if you are all offence you will not last and will be considered unteachable.

wjc

• Bripro says:

I think they figured it out last year, with Gallagher and Galchenyuk.
      Give them a little credit.
      They’re not going to bring just anyone up for the sake of satisfying the couch GMs on this site.
      And it’s smarter to let the juniors stay at their level to get more ice time, and gain some much-needed experience.

43. Maritime Ronn says:

Markov-Subban
    Emelin-Diaz
    Beaulieu-Gorges
    ——————–
    Those pairings look very different that what we’ve seen all year.

After Markov-Subban, it will be interesting to see which D pair gets the 2nd most ‘Even Strength’ minutes against Pitt’s Top 6.

Beaulieu should also be given time on the PP.
    Perhaps Markov plays 45 seconds-1 minute max. on the PP, with Beaulieu taking over and PK doing the 1:45-2:00.

*** And please Coach MT – don’t staple Beaulieu to the bench if he makes a mistake.
    ALL Dmen make mistakes, and that’s how they learn….

As mentioned yesterday, if a Norris Trophy winner as a player – and a Stanley Cup winner as coach such as Randy Carlyle, has the patience with an offensive and talented 19 year old Dman such as Morgan Rielly, perhaps there is a lesson to be learned there.
    Right?

Yes, Rielly’s Minus -12 are some of the worst numbers for Leafs Dmen, yet Coach Carlyle has played him 17:41/game for the now 42 season games.

Quite possibly Coach Carlyle knows ( by winning a Norris and Cup) that younger guys need to experience ‘growing pains’ to ultimately succeed.

Maybe he sees this ‘learning experience’ in a bigger picture.
    Maybe he’s OK with a youngster making errors knowing that the payback will be large – perhaps as quick as the playoffs, yet certainly for years to come.

• Timo says:

It’s almost as if you don’t like Michael Therrien, Ronn.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi TIMO

It’s not really a question of like/dislike, it’s just a question of bloody common sense.
        The time is NOW to get a sense of what Beaulieu can bring.

In other posts, I highlighted how so many other orgs. treat their rookie Dmen, and how they always put them in a position to succeed with good partners and ice time.

With Coach Therrien, it almost appears as if he puts the young Dmen in position to fail so he can defer to his pet vets…that he believes will somehow make less mistakes, and get him to the playoffs and a better coaching record.

The only item of want from here is how the Habs progress, and how players are being mistreated concerning playing/Ice Time because a coach wants some ill-thought out degree of deemed mediocre certainty.

The examples are legion….

• artartand says:

So based on these pairings, you have a left and right handed shot with Markow-Subban and Emelin-Diaz (which I think will be good for Emelin to play his natural position) and then play Beaulieu at his natural position and Gorges out of his natural position?

Once a Habs Fan Always a Habs Fan!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Gorges is a vet with experience playing the Right Side and did well when playing there with I believe was Markov once upon a time.

With the Habs right now, there is no easy solution concerning the Right Side Dmen.
        The Habs are missing a 3-4 solid Right hand Dman at the moment.
        In Subban, they have an elite, yet a big gap is there from the Top pair to the bottom.

• Forum Dog says:

Agreed. If they’re gonna develop him, they’re gonna have to live with some mistakes. The potential he flashed in that game is obvious, and in the long-run he will contribute a lot more than he costs them.

A 2nd PP unit with Beaulieu and Diaz can’t hurt either. Might take a little pressure off the first unit and give the opposition a different look.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Good point about the 2nd Unit PP, yet when I look at Subban, somehow he always gives the impression he could play 30+ minutes and still end up being fresh as a daisy.
        That man is nothing less than awesome!

• Forum Dog says:

No kidding. I remember reading McKeen’s shortly after he was drafted and I think they used the term “limitless reserves” to describe his energy level. That pretty much sums it up….

While I don’t deny that he could play that much, throwing a change-up every once in a while doesn’t hurt. It’s like Subban and his shot: if he took a little off every once in a while and just got it through, there might be more tips and deflections.

LOL, did Gui! say a single word during his first gig on LA?

45. habcertain says:

All the talk of trades etc. will really amount to nothing unless we are willing to part with young potential. So the Diaz/Gio/Gorges group will not get you much in return, we would have to look at putting some of the kid’s names in the hat if we were to go this route.

UFA signings rarely get you anything unless we dig deep in the pockets and overpay, and that doesn’t guarantee success.

So we are left with developing what we have, and while we have some d-men that look quite capable, there appears to be a gap in offensive power. The development of Chucky and Eller seems to have stalled. I’m starting to get concerned about Chucky not turning into a bona fide star. He is playing out of position and does not seem to get the attention that DD has garnered, with playing PP/top players & minutes. I’m not buying into this MT credo that he is young, can’t handle the pressure etc. 18 and 19 year old top draft picks, are regularly playing top minutes, and it is not out of the norm. If this kid does not materialize into a star, we are screwed, the cupboard is bare. I’m not sure that MT is the guy to lead his development, he is coaching for today, not the future.

We should be forming lines that evolve around Chucky and Eller as the centers and try to develop some chemistry/combos, instead of ensuring DD is worth his $4M.

• Cal says:

Chucky is a bonafide star. The coach just has to give him a proper shot and TOI.

• New says:

This place melts down when the Habs lose. In Edmonton you can play the kids first and second line all season, finish last, and laugh about it. In Montreal someone else will be laughing about it and you’ll be looking for work on RDS. Briere and DD are what they are. They’re going to get paid the same no matter what the crowd yells and no one is going to blame the coach if either fails because they do that anyway.

I’d rather see the kids who can play do so. But most of the fans don’t feel that way. Pittsburg can lose 5-1 and roll onto Montreal with no biggie. Montreal losing 5-1 to Florida then facing the Pens…yeah teeth gnashing, sackcloth, public whipping boys, biblical disaster all around.

That also explains why Pittsburg does better. They chill a little.

• veryhabby says:

habcertain…I don’t see Chucky and Eller stalling.

Both have been playing with different line mates, and different positions all season long. there pt numbers are still very decent for where they are in their development.

You can complain that the team isn’t giving them more responsibility or ice time, but you can’t say they have stalled. They are still going forward in the parameters that have been given to them.

Eller is now going to get his ice time…but out of position that we know he prefers not to play. Galchenyuk is injured and when he gets back there will be an adjustment time. But we are talking 24 and 19 yr old guys.

Eller has grown this year on his puck battle wins and controls. When he played with 2 finishers, he was getting some pts. He will now get his ice time. Should still win his puck battles and hopefully be able to finish what Pleks sets him up with.

• CJ says:

You realize that Chucky was still eligible to play in the WJC this year?

19 year old kids are going to struggle. Patience my friend.

46. bwoar says:

Got a good feeling about Leblanc. He’ll earn another game.

That’s it, that’s all.

“thoroughbred”

St. John’s will be losing their AHL team it appears. Jets talking of moving the team to Thunder Bay. Bus rides for that AHL team just got worse me thinks.

• Hobie Hansen says:

LOL. I drove to Calgary from Oshawa and back in the middle of winter. The section between Sault Ste Marie-Thunder Bay-Winnipeg is not a good idea on fading all season tires in February. Nasty stretch!

• bwoar says:

Taken a Greyhound across there multiple times (to and from MTL), it’s an adventure alright.

Not sure Thunder Bay is the right location, though.

“thoroughbred”

• arcosenate says:

it’s a horrible road, even in the summer it’s dark and full of slow moving campers and trucks, and very dark at night. Did I mention it was dark?

God that was a long drive.

• jo_maka says:

Only did it in the day but I can imagine.

I can’t help but feel sorry for the Maritimes though. We brag about coast to coast hockey but they’re being cheated out of all major markets. They only have a few in the Q and that’s it. I want Quebec City to get their team, but I also think it’d be great if they could have one out there in Halifax. The closest to them is the Bruins or the Habs. But that’s hardly maritime. If a team can survive in Sunrise, Halifax can’t be that bad. Just my 2 cents.

_________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• dr. gesundheit says:

Wouldn’t shed any tears for QC not getting a team…when the “Diques” were around, there was no team I considered close to being as dispicable /wanted to see beat as them. (incl Flyers/Bruins/leafs etc)

• The_Salted_One says:

good news for me, if the move happens, it will be the first time my home town ever had a notable hockey team. actually being able to see a bulldogs game will be nice.

your friendly neighborhood Salted One

• habcertain says:

little air service direct to Winnipeg from TB, nice 8 hour bus ride through the tundra to play 2 minutes of hockey……sorry, couldn’t resist!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Where did you get that info? There’s at least two flights a day between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• habcertain says:

a AC flight that leaves at 5:25, and Bearskin Air that makes 150 stops before Winnipeg, may look direct, but not

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Yes, an Air Canada and there’s also a Westjet flight. Not even considering the smaller carriers like Bearskin. You’re mistaken.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• bel33 says:

Yeah.. I grew up just west of Thunder Bay.. lots of flights from Toronto direct to T Bay. Air Canada, Westjet, Porter… take your pick.

- I’d buy that for a dollar! -

• habcertain says:

thought we were talking about the Peg, YYZ as plenty of service

• bel33 says:

Got it.. but still should be a couple flights to T Bay from Winnipeg… as many as to St. John’s one would think.

Worst case is a drive up to the show for callups… 7 hrs (ish) from TBay to Winnipeg. Sticking to speed limits. :)

- I’d buy that for a dollar! -

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Good news for Thunder Bay, bad news for St. John’s. The new arena in the Bay is a few years away though. If they move next year, they’ll be playing in the old Fort William Gardens with a seating capacity of around 3,400. I’m sure they can fill the place for an AHL team, the Lakehead University squad sells the place out quite often. Only an hour flight to Winnipeg, however, so it makes sense in that regard. I don’t think road conditions will make any difference but Highway 17 West between the two cities is much improved over the last few years with the addition of many passing lanes and strategic widening.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

Not sure what Putin will think of this, but during his Men’s National teams games in Sochi there will be Semin on the ice!

Dmitry Chesnokov @dchesnokov
    Alexander Semin has been added to the Russian Olympic Team. #Sochi2014

49. habsguru says:

watching Boulieu against TOR, he looked pretty good in most aspects, considering he is a call up that is. where he was exposed, was when there was sustained pressure, and a certain panic set in. That is where one of the seniors (pleks/gionta) has to step in and play a little deeper in the D zone. he has all of the tools to play in the nhl, but needs time in the show to adjust to the speed. not that he isn’t fast enough, but that the timing isn’t remotely close to what he sees in Hamilton

50. Mattyleg says:

Hey, I just found a ticket for a Leafs game stuck to a tree with a nail, so I took it.

You never know when you’ll need a nail.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. WVHabsfan says:

Thanks Habsrule 1. Makes sense to me

52. habstrinifan says:

From previous thread:

Habitant in SurreyJANUARY 21, 2014 AT 1:35 PM
    …of course, only when doing it on My surfboard

Habitant in SurreyJANUARY 21, 2014 AT 1:33 PM
    …I prefer the orthodox missionary position Myself:

Hey that was MY line. First you steal my line. And then you covet my surfboard. What next?

53. WVHabsfan says:

This may be a dumb question but can’t MB tell MT who to play and where?

• Habsrule1 says:

Yes, and I think that’s part of the problem. MT is kinda forced to play Briere cause MB wants to get him going for 2 reasons…he made that awful move and if he ever wants to trade him, he needs to start playing better. Similar with Bourque for trading him. It’s not like the Captain will be stting anytime soon either.
      When MB does his job and gets the right players on the team, MT’s job will actually get easier.

Go Habs Go!!

• habstrinifan says:

He can but I think you are wrong that he does.

• wjc says:

Habsrule, I disagree MB wants to get Briere going to help the team. He will never be traded, he is at the end of the line. It was not an awful move it was a move designed to help the team. Hasn’t worked out yet, but I agree time is running out.

He will either be put in the press box for the rest of season, picked off waivers, or bought out at the end of the season.

Free agents are gambles at best. Would you role the dice again after this season or never go after a free agent again. Being wrong is painful but being to scared to take a chance is worse.

I think you give up players to soon, they go through bad spells on every team. You want the right players, except every draft choice, every free agent, and every trade is a gamble….with no guarantees.

When you bet on a team or buy a lottery ticket or get married…no guarantees how it will turn out….life is a gamble. Nobody gets it right all the time.

By the way Sammy Pollock lived off of Frank Selke for years. Lapointe, Savard, Lemaire, Beliveau, Cournoyer, Henri Richard, Backstrom, Laperriere, F. Mahovalich (Redmond trade) P. Mahovalich (Monaghan trade) Grant traded for draft picks, Houle, Tardiff, Roberts. These were all Selke players inherited by Pollock.

wjc

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree with you. I thought maybe he might want to get Briere going on the off chanve that he can either help the team or be trading for a 7th round pick.

My main point is MT can only do so much with the team MB gives him. I don’t think even Babcock would have the Habs in a much better position. That said, I am not a huge MT fan, but I’m somewhat impressed with his results. If he was fired tomorrow, I would not shed a tear.

Go Habs Go!!

• Ozmodiar says:

For all we know, MB is telling MT who to play and where.

Maybe MB wants to see how Bourni/LeBust play relative to Briere/Bjork. Perhaps with the latter pair are expendable with a healthy line-up.

54. D Mex says:

Anthony Calvillo retires – big loss for the Als and the City.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

55. zephyr says:

beaulieu is too light to be a good defender. so are diaz & georges. might as well put them all in. power fwds are going to have a heyday on them.
    ll will do nothing. he’s small & has no offensive game. the best playmaker on the habs next to dd is chucky & we’re going to have to wait for him.
    so we’re taking on the pens with a grossly undersized d & 1 decent scoring line. I’m not expecting much. prob another game like the last few painful ones.

56. Mattyleg says:

I called this at the beginning of the season!

I don’t usually blow my own trumpet (not nearly flexible enough, for starters) but the LL and (especially) Beaulieu callup in January was pretty much obvious from where I sat when those guys were sent down after training camp.

I’m pretty confident that Beaulieu will step up, but I’m 50/50 on how LL will perform. Burly’s said that he’s been on a good streak recently, which is good news, but I still wonder about the lad.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Till next time….

• monmick says:

I’m just afraid that Beaulieu is being put in a difficult position and not really given a chance to succeed. It’s obvious to everyone that the weakest part of his game is his defensive play. I’m not sure that playing him on his wrong side (when he has never played there before) is doing him any favours…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

Having him paired with Gorges though makes a great deal of sense from a veteran whose primary concern is defence first. Beaulieu can skate like the wind out there, and the few mistakes I saw of him last game, seemed to look more like nerves. But hasn’t Gorges played both sides as an NHL’er? And if so perhaps Beaulieu will be on his natural side, with Gorges playing his offside.

• Habfan10912 says:

Might be the teams best skater. Impressive skill set for sure.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, Gorges seems to be the best choice as partner for Beaulieu.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

I’d prefer Shea Weber. But yah.,… you go with Gorges as best choice…

(annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd a winky face: ;) )

• Mattyleg says:

Unneeded for me, Luke.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

After my crack about the trails and tribulations of writting a letter to the editor was taken a bit too seriously, I thought I had better break the 4th wall for all of our viewers.

• monmick says:

It would never happen, but I wouldn’t be opposed to pairing him with PK. Would actually be good for both players. You give Beaulieu to PK as a “project” and tell him: “You take this kid under your wing and bring him along. Cover his back.” I’m sure PK would respond positively to this type of challenge…

But again, I’m sure it won’t happen…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Forum Dog says:

A 2nd PP unit with Beaulieu and Diaz isn’t a bad idea.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good point. He looked lost earlier this season in the defensive zone. Playing on the wrong side can’t help.

• habcertain says:

I just don’t see what can be achieved with an offensive player who will get 2 min. of playing time on a 4th line, if past practice holds true.

• JUST ME says:

Not sure if Beaulieu will stay in MTL though . He has 7 games played in the big leagues so i guess that they will have to decide soon or maybe we will see Pateryn also.

• wjc says:

I think Leblanc will be on the third line and perhaps specilize in the P.k. A lot of players end up specializing on the defensive side of the ice. He will get a few chances and maybe he will grow into a more offensive threat, time will tell.

I was on the same page as you play the fill ins, if they do not help as much as hoped bring up the talent in the minors after giving them extra training and find out what you have.

wjc

57. monmick says:

I stand corrected: Beaulieu to play on the right. “Beaulieu a quant à lui évolué du côté droit en compagnie de Josh Gorges, même s’il disait ne pas se rappeler avoir déjà joué de ce côté dans sa carrière, sauf en quelques occasions en avantage numérique.”

Maybe MT knows something I don’t, or even something Beaulieu himself doesn’t know…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

58. Cal says:

MT says “We’ll have to follow the game plan to the letter.”

Great. How to make a game against the Pens dull. Woot woot.

How about letting the boys skate, like that great tilt against the Hawks?

• Habfan10912 says:

Someone posted earlier about a partial tank. I was wondering how you do that. I guess maybe this could be it?

• Cal says:

Habs started this season very well by playing a high energy fast skating style. Obviously, an entertaining product like that couldn’t last under MT’s watch. Now, the Habs are “grinders.” I am thinking they have been grounded by MT’s boring D first and always style of coaching.
        I want the Habs to play the game with some wild abandon. If a player screws up, let him know and correct him. Don’t nail him to the bench. Apart from the core, this isn’t that great a team, but it could be a lot more fun to watch.

• wjc says:

not sure skating with Penquins will work. You are playing their game. You have play a defensive game and wait for the chances. I think you find a rout dull as well.

wjc

“The Canadiens will have to play a really tight game because if they give the Penguins time and space they’ll hurt you, Therrien said.”

Translation: block lots of shots, don’t venture out past the red line, grind, dump and don’t chase, Carey is the key.

• Sportfan says:

Carey will also score our goals :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• careysubban3176 says:

I am really surprised Carey hasn’t pulled a Patrick Roy yet. Imagine if Price played for the Pens. He would easily have 2 cups by now.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s not like Price hasn’t had his share of difficulties too. It wasn’t the rest of the team letting in those stinkers on more than 1 occassion. It’s a team game. The goalie is as good as the team in front of him, and on some nights, vice versa.

Go Habs Go!!

• careysubban3176 says:

NO, CAREY PRICE IS THE TEAM! If not for him this is a bottom 5 team in the East. Part of the problem with Price in his younger days was he knew in every game he played, if he let in 3 or more goals they would lose. It’s still that way today but he has matured and doesn’t feel that pressure anymore. If he was playing for Pens he would have never felt that pressure cuz that team can SCORE MORE THAN 2 LOUSY GOALS A GAME

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ok, relax. The fact remains that Price had been known for letting in bad goals, and not just “in his younger days”. The new coach paired with a slightly better defence, at least for the first 30 games or so, have helped get Price over the hump and play to his potential.

I’m a huge Price fan. He’s my favorite player, with PK…but be honest, not just a fanboy.

Go Habs Go!!

• wjc says:

Timo your time is wasted, with your vast knowledge and second guessing you are indeed wasted.

I predict the Canadiens will not win the Stanley cup and they will have no one win the scoring title. Now I am a genius too.

wjc

60. habbernack says:

regarding the brawl in Van. I think it’s time the NHL have Nhl officals make out the starting line-up cards thus guaranting this wouldn’t happen again. Also the refs should have given Hartley a bench minor for instigating.

61. Habfan10912 says:

Wasn’t this new management group supposed to have a strong player development mantra? Isn’t it tme they worked their magic with Nathan B, Bournival and Louie L. Give them important minutes and move forward with some youth that might provide a little energy.

• careysubban3176 says:

Player development is all done in the minors. Since all three are in the NHL it’s all handled by MT and his assistants

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habfan10912 says:

Disagree. You have to put young players in positions to suceed. That’s how you develop NHL players.
        For example, Galchenyuk should be playing with the teams best forwards and playing too line minutes. Just like all top draft choices get.
        Bournival should have been getting top 6 minutes all season not being jerkaround playing a 4th line time.
        You can blame MT for some of this but Bergevin should have some influence as well.

• careysubban3176 says:

All MB does is hire players to coach. Yes he can fire them too but he can’t be firing and rehiring coaches every 2 years especially if the team is in 4th place (even though the Habs have been a .500 team for a month now)

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

You have it backwards. All MT can do is play the guys he is given. Add to that the fact that he is likely being pressured to an extent to play Briere due to the contract MB gave him and if there is any hope at all in trading him. Similar for Gionta. He’s the Captain. He is not going to sit out unless he is showing absolutely no signs of working, and he is not. When MB makes the necessary changes, it will make MT’s job easier.

Go Habs Go!!

• careysubban3176 says:

You are right about Bournival and Galchenyuk. Both have excelled when giving top minutes but we have a coach who is too veteran friendly to let unworthy rookies take their minutes

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

All that is fine and good, but it leaves other players off those top lines. MT’s job is to put t ateam together that he believes will give him the best chance to win. Period. Sure, in the meantime, he will make players better, focus on things during practice, etc…but at the end of the day, he keeps his job if he wins. Conversely, he doesn’t put the team together the way you or I think is best. He does what he believes is best. So far, he’s won more than he’s lost, and many people still want him fired. When MB gets rid of who he should and has the young guys or new guys in Montreal, MT will try to ice the best team once again.
          When that happens, and MB does not produce wins, he will be gone, and a similar cycle will start with the new coach.

Go Habs Go!!

• careysubban3176 says:

So your telling me just because Gionta is the Captain he gets to play top line minutes even though he’s on pace for less than 20 goals

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• habs001 says:

Agree on Galchenyuk..Bournival is not a top 6 forward his early scoring stats are very misleading as he got points on most of his chances…

• Sportfan says:

Remember we don’t want these players to turn out like Latendress, there is nothing wrong with developing the way they are now, but in reality they should get better minutes, cause it would just be a waste to have them not play decent minutes.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habfan10912 says:

Nick, if they are with the big club they should be given every opportunity to succeed. The minutes Bournuval has gotten this year in favor of some unproductive players is wrong.
        That’s a big problem with this team. We were promised a performance based team. The ice time allotment indicates we arr anything but that.

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t think he should but the real issue is that we still have too many guys that are small or past their prime….or both.

I see that changing by next season.

Go Habs Go!!

• wjc says:

I love that term ‘on pace for’ a guy scores a goal is first game he is on pace for 82 I suppose. A players score 5 goals his 10 he is on pace for 40 plus. A player score 0 his first 5 games he is on pace for zero.

When you are a rookie you play any minutes and learn the way things work. If it is the 4th line, then you work your way up to the 3rd. line happy to make 700 g’s. You watch learn and absorb. Many great players started this way, before you knew their names.

Many great Canadiens players had to prove themselves and it sometimes took 2-3 years.

wjc

62. careysubban3176 says:

I actually love the defense pairings. Still wish Bournival would play with Plecky and Gio. They were a very good line when put together and have no idea why they were broken up. Other than that, DON’T CHANGE A DAMN THING MT. At least for one freakin game just leave everything alone. As for LL, he won’t do a darn thing because of 2 reasons. #1=won’t be given any more than 10 minutes a game at maximum. #2=He’s just not good period. Only reason he was a 1st rounder was because of his name

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

63. Habfan10912 says:

The over/under on LeBlanc’s shifts is 2.5.

64. DMAN says:

When I think of a Bouillon-Murray combo, I think SPEED.

So with Ryan White weeks away, perhaps Leblanc can stick up with the big club for awhile and hopefully make a good showing for himself.

• I haven’t lost faith in him however I wonder if he can’t compete in the AHL, then not sure what he can do here. No worries, not much invested in a late first rounder.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Mattyleg says:

Hey Burly,
      I had a thoughtful post about the religion issue modded and I can’t bring myself to try to re-write it.

Basically, I don’t believe that all members of any religion believe every word of their holy books, but there are some people who hide their own prejudices behind convenient passages in those books, while ignoring others altogether.

Oh, and I don’t equate sport and religion etc, nor do I believe that all homophobia is based in religion. I was just making the comment I made based on Dipsy’s post.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I shouldn’t have waded into that topic, this forum isn’t right.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, no worries.
          Probably a good call in general for everyone!
          Just hope you know I’m not anti-religion or anything like that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• frontenac1 says:

Whenever people talk about sex and religion ,I get scared and feel guilty. But then again a clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory. Saludos!

• habstrinifan says:

You dont fool me one bit. I could always spot one. I think you are ANTI-DENTITE. You probably even believe they should have their own schools.

• frontenac1 says:

???They DO have their own schools amigo.

• 25Stanleycups says:

Hey Bud, thanks for your reply yesterday. It explained alot, I presumed with your handle that you had been a Burlingtonian since day 1. I was starting to think you had a closet love affair for the Leafs in some way.

I myself being born and raised in the Toronto suburbs had no choice but to grow huge walls against the Leafs in support of the HABS. And growing up was horrible for it. Even if the Habs had a better club for some of those years. Most of times the Leafs during the 90′s and early 2000′s with Sundin, Mogilny, Gilmour, Belfour, Roberts, even Tucker, and Corson good ole Hab defects always managed to beat the Habs in the regular season more times then not. Especially before the Leafs made it to the Eastern conference.

Being french and wearing read, in an affluent white collar anglophone community I developed many scars. So my disdain for the Leafs is greater, than any other club, and will likely never change.

The Bruins never meant a challenge until the last 5-6 years. We always beat them in the playoffs. And won cup after cup on there backs.

Even losing to them now, only reminds me there a better club, and as frustrating that may be. Thats on the HABS to improve. Losing to the Leafs is just humiliating and shameful.

I can understand that perspective. I have been in the Southern Ontario area now for about 20 years, and I can imagine being a Hab fan growing up here to be more challenging. Trust me, beating the Leafs puts a huge smile on my face. It was actually a fun day when I walked in the bar on Sunday and had to pay my wagers, granted I only make Leaf bets with fans whom I am friends with. I’d like to think they aren’t the obnoxious Leaf fans whom are easily spotted here.

I just have a disdain for Boston and Philly like no other. But beating the Leafs does have a joy to it all into itself.

Have a good day!

CHeers!

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with the stigma of a loss to the Leafs… and also maybe because I lived in Toronto for so long. You are right even when we had great teams the Leafs would sneak a win.. and then the newspapers/radio would be unbearable.

The Bruins, even with Orr and their great teams, were our patsies.
        So much so I started feeling if not us.. then

66. First thing First Louis. Change that number. 2, in order to stay just be better than Bourque, Briere,Moen, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Prust too.

OK Kid, giver!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

67. Who let the dogs out?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

68. GrosBill says:

In your face Charlie Murphy.