Leblanc a nice, round number for Habs – with audio

louis-leblanc-1

Louis Leblanc joins the Canadiens family at the 2009 NHL entry draft at the Bell Centre.
Dave Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

UPDATE: Lines and defence pairings at Tuesday practice in Anaheim: Kostitsyn-Plekanek-Gionta, Cammalleri-Desharnais-Cole, Palushaj-Eller-Moen, darche-Nokelainen-Weber | Markov-Emelin, Gill-Diaz, Gorges-Subban

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | excellent stuff from Max Pacioretty | Louis Leblanc | Randy Carlyle (on rumours)

Louis Leblanc is expected to arrive in Anaheim Tuesday afternoon and make his Canadiens debut Wednesday night  vs. the Ducks. Leblnac has been  called up  from the Hamilton Bulldogs to fill in for suspended Max Pacioretty.

And if he does see action, Leblanc will become the 800th different man to play for the Canadiens since the team was founded for the 1909-10 National Hockey Association season.

The Canadiens came into the season with 791 players on their all-time roster, according to the club’s 2011-12 media guide. New names added to the list this season have been goalie Peter Budaj, forwards Erik Cole, Michael Blundin and Petteri Nokelainen and defencemen Alexei Emelin, Raphael Diaz, Chris Campoli and Frédéric St-Denis, who’s played both D and up front.

So Leblanc becomes No. 800 in a long list of Canadiens.

I just saw a Myriah Carey ad on HI/O.

That’s enough to make me turncoat and go over to the “Cup of Chowder” website.

2. Stuck_in_To. says:

Just listened to a short clip of Max on TSN saying he is “confused” by Shanny’s ruling and wishes for some consistency from him. Nice to hear a player articulating that and not just the fans.

Any chance Shanny came down a little harder on Maxpac because of the Gionta hit on Reimer? Not much was made of it at the time, mainly because Leafs said he was fine and it was just whiplash. I kind of wonder how vocal a certain Leaf GM would have been the past month in Shanny’s ear about the fact he is missing his #1 goalie cuz of a headshot.

4. Mike D says:

Not to further rehash McDonagh’s inclusion in the deal that brought us Gomez (the gift that keeps on taking), but I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT if a reporter would interview Gainey and get him to explain (preferably with detail) why he felt McDonagh’s addition to the trade was justified.
    Gainey did make some good moves while he was GM but I think fans deserve an open answer to this very valid question.

Boone, Stubbs, Hickey – would any of you be able to accomodate?

- Honestly yours

• Propwash says:

To get something, you have to give something. It was McDonagh unfortunately, but maybe that’s what NYR wanted in return for Gomez.

_____________________________
      Being negative has its advantages,
      you’re never disappointed.

• 24 Cups says:

But we weren’t trying to get anything, the Rangers were trying to get rid of something. There’s a difference.

Sather went out and spent 14M on two centres who were basically #2 pivots. He realized his mistake and then was desperate to recitfy it. Beggers can’t be choosers. What we gave Sather was cap relief which in today’s NHL is a tangible asset just like a player.

Gainey should have offered a secondary roster player or a mid level AHL prospect. Even a 2nd round pick. Take it or leave it. I still think Sather would have taken the bait.

• slychard says:

Of course he would have, Sather would have taken youppie for that matter, he just had a better poker face then Gainey and bluffed him into folding… ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Propwash says:

I was always under the impression Gomez was acquired to play with Gionta, as he did with New Jersey.

_____________________________
          Being negative has its advantages,
          you’re never disappointed.

• Mike D says:

Gomez was acquired before Gionta though, so unless we were somehow in contact with Gio prior to July 1 (obviously strictly forbidden), there’s no way to guarantee Gio would have signed with us anyway.

- Honestly yours

• Propwash says:

I stand corrected. I forgot the exact timeline when they both were acquired.

_____________________________
            Being negative has its advantages,
            you’re never disappointed.

• Mike D says:

No worries Prop.

- Honestly yours

• LA Loyalist says:

Hey, I’d like an aged rib-eye instead of ground chuck, or a 2000 first growth Bordeaux instead of Depanneur wine, but most people are not dumb enough to give it to me.

• Habsrule1 says:

It remains a good guess that getting Gomez helped us acquire Gionta & Cammalleri. It’s never been proven, but take a look at the players that signed before he got here.
          Gomez was well liked by many NHL players and I believe these 2 liked the idea of playing with one of the better set-up men for a pretty long period of his career.
          Now that we see he’s brutal, it’s time to do what we can to get rid of him. He served his purpose of luring in a couple decent players.

Go Habs Go!!

• Chris says:

Why would Gainey answer that? I’m pretty sure he knows the deal was a mistake, but he’s too classy a guy to throw a player in his own organization under the bus.

I don’t think there is anybody in the hockey world that doesn’t think the Gomez deal was a colossal error; some felt that way immediately, other came to the conclusion later.

It really doesn’t particularly matter anymore, and I certainly wouldn’t get any particular joy in watching Gainey squirm. I wish McDonagh were here, as I was pretty certain he was going to be a keeper. But those are the breaks.

I also thought Perezhogin, Higgins and Komisarek were keepers, so what the heck do I know?

(Although Chris Higgins remains my favourite player to follow on another team…sue me!)

• slychard says:

Didn’t Perezhogin defect back to Russia of his own free will? I don’t think his leaving is pertinent when it comes to keepers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• rjonline1 says:

Great post.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, it DOES matter now, because in the cap era having to pay Gomez the moon keeps us from having someone who actually earns their crust.

For the record, I liked Higgins too and was quite disappointed the way it worked out.

• Habsrule1 says:

He did what he thought he had to do to attract some better UFA’s. It can be argued that it worked…and the hope was it would also help get Gomez back on track.
          They can’t all be winners.
          I wonder how much time BG spends thinking how fans convince themselves that building a team or always getting the perfect players on your team is so easy.
          None I’m sure.

Go Habs Go!!

• Chris says:

Look, what you cite was my very fear.

But who is out there you want to sign? Who haven’t we been able to get because of Gomez?

The UFA market the past couple of years has been pretty paltry, adn this coming summer looks even worse. I don’t like Gomez as a player, I hate his contract, but let’s be honest…his contract hasn’t yet handcuffed the team, and I doubt it will this summer.

• Mike D says:

I don’t know if Gainey would ever answer that or answer it honestly, even years after Gomez if off the team or Gainey is no longer involved with the team. As a fan, it would be nice to know – that’s all.

The purpose wouldn’t be to make Gainey squirm. I have enough respect for Gainey to not want to see that. It’s just that I believe Management has some accountability to the fans and this was a huge error.

The trade was basically Gomez for Higgins, McDonagh and cap space since the secondary pieces weren’t expected to amount to much (Pyatt included). I think it’s a safe bet that Sather would have done Higgins for Gomer straight up considering the cap room he wanted cleared. At the time, McD was our best defensive prospect so adding him to the trade was WAYYYY too one-sided.

- Honestly yours

Higgins, McDonagh, Valentenko and Janik in exchange for
      Gomez, Tom Pyatt (wow) and Mike Busto.
      Who can give me anything on Busto?
      There was all kinds of talk after the trade, and then this kid fell off the map.

You can’t convince me that Gainey did much good for the team.
      A few decent manoeuvres, but nothing shattering.
      Sam Pollock he ain’t!

• V says:

‘Sam Pollock he ain’t'… I think you could say the same thing about 98% of the GM’s in the history of the league.

Gainey was the GM for a cup winning team, which makes him more successfull than most GM’s in the history of the league.

Not to make excuses for him, but I wonder if losing his daughter took his focus/edge off his last few years. He wouldn’t be the first to have personal tragedy effect his work performance… although you would never hear that from him.

• Bripro says:

I realize most GMs are not like Pollock. That was mostly tongue-in-cheek and a slight exaggeration. I see that doesn’t happen here much.
          You’re surely right about his daughter. I don’t see how any parent doesn’t wake up every morning thinking about a tragedy of the sort.
          Perhaps that should have been the time to completely withdraw.
          As for being the GM of a cup-winning team, he inherited most of that team with perennial superstars Hatcher and Modano. The only trade I can think of, of any significance was when he sent Bellows here for Courtnall. And we both know who benefitted from that the most.

• Timo says:

I think you will be told to stay home and bake some bread.

• LA Loyalist says:

Ain’t gonna happen while Gainey is a Hab employee.

I do hope he will one day write a book and explain WTF he was thinking about this and the other topics we have beaten to death on HIO :-)

• Polar Bear says:

time to move on mike

• Mike D says:

Moved on a long time ago Polar. Just saying it would be nice for the fans to get an honest explanation on that one.

While I don’t think any of us truly expected that trade to work in our favour (regardless of how McD developed), Gomez’s horrendous play since joining our team further justifies the need for it IMO.

That said, I’m not expecting it will ever happen.

- Honestly yours

• Habsrule1 says:

All GM’s make mistakes so I really don’t see the need for it. I also don’t think Gomez’s play makes a difference. Obviously, BG was hoping to attract good players with Gomez due to his reputation, which he managed to do. He was then relying on these players to help break Gomez out of the funk he had been in for a while. He did manage 70 points 2 years before he came here, and 84 (33 goals omg!) a couple years before that.
          Unfortunately, things did not work out. I’m thinking Gomez is a small market player…or at least smaller than NY and Montreal.

Onward & upward soon I hope.

Go Habs Go!!

5. Hammer says:

I shake my head every time someone says to package Webber and get him out of town. I believe the guy is only 21 or 22 and the Habs over the past 16 or so years have ridded themselves of Dmen who have excelled elsewhere. The list includes folks such as Eric Desjardins, ,Stephane Robidas, Ron Hainsey, Ryan Mcdonough ( I am weeping) etc…. Now lets get rid of another. Maybe we can get back a 30 something 10 goal scorer!! We sure could use another one!!

6. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – In a Blockbuster™ trade involving 21 players, seven teams and two trainers, the Montreal Canadiens have overhauled their lineup to make a run for a playoff spot.
    The Canadiens sent Andrei Markov, Yannick Weber, Mike Cammalleri and Scott Gomez to the Anaheim Ducks who sent Bobby Ryan, Teemu Selanne, a second round draft pick, a third-rate trainer, and Scott Gomez to the Carolina Hurricanes who dispatched Eric Staal, Tim Gleeson, Anthony Stewart, $43,000 and Scott Gomez to the St. Louis Blues who showed David Backes, Kevin Shattenkirk, T.J. Oshie, trainer By Goshie and Scott Gomez the way to the San Jose Sharks who dispatched Dan Boyle, Joe Pavelski, a player to be named Later (by his cash-strapped expectant mother) and Scott Gomez to the Winnipeg Jets who airmailed Andrew Ladd, Alan Ladd, the Man from Ladd, season’s tickets to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Scott Gomez to the Columbus Blue Jackets who dealt Rick Nash, Fedor ‘Damn’ Tyuten, Derrick Brassard, future considerations, and past regrets (Scott Gomez) to Montreal. The Canadiens also acquire Gomez’s frequent flyer points and considerable baggage.
    “We had to do something, the team was floundering,” general manager Pierre Gauthier wrote on a chalkboard in response to questions directed his way at a press conference.
    “Bob Gainey had nothing to do with this at all,” he added for no apparent reason, using semaphore flags.
    “And we’re not done,” he tapped out in Morse code, fueling rumors Andreas Engqvist’s days with the organization will soon be over.
    The massive player exchange, concluded overnight by means of a video game conference call, stunned the hockey world, but drew widespread praise from most general managers who didn’t get in on the action.
    “I’d make that deal in a second,” bellowed Leafs GM Brian Burke.
    “Incredible,” said awed Senator GM Brian McMurray.
    “The Jets gave away too much,” said odd Islander GM Garth Snow.
    Montreal coach Jacques Martin said he’s looking forward to “plugging” Nash, Brassard and Gomez into the lineup to generate some much-needed offence for the goal-strapped Canadiens.
    “We got a bunch of pluggers now but these guys, these guys are sure to be electrifying,” Martin quipped, breaking up the gaggle of reporters with another witticism that has made him a fan favourite, and the bane of referees around the league.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

While I am eager to see Markov’s first game back be soon, no matter which game will seem like they are rushing him back. I know doesn’t make sense, but I am just so freaking paranoid that first funny collision etc.. may be devastating.

• slychard says:

We should wait till his new contract is up.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

Lol, yah I know, just freaking paranoid. It would feel different if he came back in the middle of a winning streak. The fact we are struggling makes you wonder a bit more is all.

• Mike D says:

Right with ya on that, Gerald. My first thought was, “hey, are they rushing him back?!?!?!”

- Honestly yours

• Bripro says:

Here here. I said the same thing earlier.
      They commented on RDS last night how, in yesterday’s practice,
      he did great on north south skating, but had a hard time with turns and pivots.
      They admitted that his seeing eye passes were back though.
      That’s a definite weapon for the light arsenal.

• Polar Bear says:

doesn’t matter when he comes back IMHO. its only a matter of time until he goes down again. bum knee is always a d-mans demise

8. Mike D says:

Apologies if this has already been posted. This is Max-Pac’s interview regarding his suspension:

Video is along the right side of the screen.

Good for Max for speaking up but being professional about it.

- Honestly yours

9. Marcusman says:

Not to change the subject…but has anyone else noticed that the Wiz is -8 with 1 goal in 15 games this year…..just saying…they made the right choice to let him go. With any luck Markov’s knee will hold up and things will look much different in 3 weeks. We really should be wayyyyyy much excited about getting a player of Markov’s ability back. Couple that with him playing with someone he can communicate with in his native tongue
    …. this is going to be good.

• Stev.R says:

Wiz didn’t really play all that well the last 30 games of the season last year. He was invisible most nights. Not like he was when he first came over in the trade.

• shiram says:

Heh I just went and checked his stats on nhl.com, he is averaging nearly 27 minutes TOI.

Randy for HC!

• Marcusman says:

he was in the right place at the right time with a big shot. The Montreal exposure was the spotlight for his talents and someone bit and over paid him. The Habs would never do that…we’re more the team to let you out of said big contract and have precious cap room eating up by a severely unproductive players. But I still love this team…DD’s chemistry with MAX and Cole is golden.. did you see the look on Max’s face after that nice drop pass from David D? That was great pass. Price ROCKS….The defense is shaping up…mucho blocked shots. I think them losing to Pittsburgh was a wake call. They had them…they had won an ugly game….nows the time we need to rattle off 5-6 wins in a row and have a group hug!

• Polar Bear says:

good point Marcusman. guess all the genius here aren’t always right after all

10. Marcusman says:

…. this is going to be good.

11. slychard says:

It’s nice to see Markov close to playing and even nicer to see Emelin paired up with his compatriot, his learning curve should shoot straight up. I’ve been liking his progress in play. I can’t wait to see them in action. Just hope Markov is not coming too soon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• savethepuck says:

that’s what she said

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Neutral says:

sam – I like your lines – myself when Max-Pac returns – I would put Max and Kostitsyn with Pleks – Moen and Gionta with Eller – the 2nd line looks real good – I wouldn’t mine seeing Eller with Cammy and Cole to see what he can do – Desharnais with Moen
        and Gionta – to see how that works out – hey we have nothing to lose – we’re kinda win one – lose one right now anyway – so why not.

12. samTHEman says:

Methinks Weber will be dealt very soon, justifying Leblanc’s call-up to take his spot as forward since he got bumped off D by Markov

13. Bill says:

When Ryan gets dealt, and when it’s not to the Habs, can we all not get our panties in a bunch?

Ryan’s like a slightly more talented, much less physical version of Pacioretty. Ryan has also always played with great centres, which can’t be said of Max.

The asking price, you’d think, would be Subban + prospect/pick. I’d rather keep Subban.

The Canadiens have good wingers. They’re still lacking nat centre, IMO, since Gomez is pretty much finished and Desharnais is a stop-gap.

Getzlaf? I’d trade ANYTHING for Getzlaf. Subban. Price. Pacioretty. Whatever. He’s what’s missing right now.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• shiram says:

I think I might have to change my sig for …

Budaj for #1 goalie!

• samTHEman says:

You would trade Price for Getzlaf straight up? LMFAO!!!

———————————————————-
      It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

• Bill says:

When you’re done LYFAO, maybe you’ll say something cogent or intelligent in response? Or not …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chris says:

There is no goalie in the NHL I wouldn’t consider trading for a big, physical centre that averages over a point per game, to be honest.

Good goalies are not particularly rare, and are often the products of the system in which they play. Look at the “resurrections” of guys like Kari Lehtonen (Dallas), Mike Smith (Phoenix), Jose Theodore (Florida), or Brian Elliott (St. Louis).

And there are more than a few teams with backups that could be starters: Halak, Enroth, Rask, Schneider (who might already be supplanting Luongo, making him available) and Neuvirth.

• Bill says:

Agree.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SeriousFan09 says:

How about we wait for more than you know, 30 games to declare that Elliot and Smith have resurrected careers they never really had to begin with? Still couldn’t pay a number of NHL coachs to put Theodore between the pipes in the playoffs either.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Chris says:

Jose Theodore carried the team as far as Carey Price has.

You missed my point, Robert. I’m not declaring Elliot or Smith as having resurrected their careers (hence the quotes around resurrection), just that players can fill roles in the right circumstances.

• SeriousFan09 says:

And many teams flounder looking for a goaltending solution as well Chris. The idea that a team can just go out and get goaltending to make the team solid has so far not paid off for many, especially not a team looking to Contend.

Theodore still is never a guy I’d take into the playoffs. Price is.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Neverlasting1 says:

HALAK’S NOT A BACKUP!!!

• Polar Bear says:

yes and they ” Kari Lehtonen (Dallas), Mike Smith (Phoenix), Jose Theodore (Florida), or Brian Elliott (St. Louis)” are real game changers aren’t they. anyone considering trading price needs to log out of here and throw themselves out a 20 floor window soon.

• Chris says:

Robert: Chicago won a Stanley Cup with Antti Niemi, who then backstopped San Jose to the conference finals the following season.

Detroit rode the decidedly average Chris Osgood to two straight Stanley Cup finals appearances.

Marc-Andre Fleury has now grown into one of the best goalies in the NHL, but he certainly wasn’t included in those ranks when he backstopped the Pens to two straight finals.

Dwayne Roloson, Jaroslav Halak, Michael Creighton/Brian Boucher, Cam Ward…there are plenty of examples of goaltenders who were probably not considered anywhere close to the top of the goaltending heap in each of those years who nonetheless were good enough to carry their teams deep into the playoffs.

If anything, I would argue that the evidence of a superstar goaltender carrying their team deep into the playoffs is lacking. If you look at the collective record of the Vezina Trophy nominees post-lockout, it is a rather pedestrian 88-93. Only two guys carried their teams beyond the 2nd round, Luongo and Thomas last season.

Getzlaf, Plekanec, Cammalleri, Cole, Gionta, Kostitsyn, Eller, Gomez, Moen, Desharnais and White/Nokelainen/Darche is the kind of forward group that could contend with the Bruins, Canucks, Capitals, Penguins or Red Wings.

Goalies can’t win Stanley Cups. You are right that they can lose them, but the Price realistically isn’t going to get to test his chance to do that with this offence in front of him.

Ideally, I’d rather not deal Price as I think he is a top-5 goalie. But nless the Habs have got a top-10 offence, Price isn’t going to be enough to carry the team to a Stanley Cup victory. And you aren’t going to get that kind of an offence without at least one elite offensive player. You get those guys either through the draft (very rarely outside the top-5) or via trades. Getzlaf IS one such elite player, and if it took Price to secure him, I’d do that deal.

• DorvalTony says:

What’s missing is a French Canadian superstar to lead.

——————————————————————-
      Break a nose get 3 games. Break a neck get 0 games. NHL = Nonsense Hockey League.

• wall2bay says:

Getzlaf for Price??? No Thanks!!!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

• Bill says:

Getzlaf is an elite centre with all the tools. Price is a very solid goalie who is still establishing himself. I think he too will become an elite player, maybe even this year. Even so, Getzlaf is more what the Habs need.

It’s been demonstrated that you don’t need ELITE goaltending to win the Cup. Price and Subban are the best trade chips and no-one’s untouchable.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Things is, elite centers make your season better but elite goalie steal playoff series for you and they do that much more often than elite forwards do.

That said, I acknowledge that there is a serious lack of good centers currently in the NHL.

• Polar Bear says:

you don’t need elite goaltending to win the cup? You sure do during the playoffs Bill or do you watch hockey.

Yes I know on one occasion there was a chicago blackhawk team that won with a crappy goalie. it also helped he other team had a crappy goalies as well now give me another example?

• Jordio-oh says:

“Ryan’s like a slightly more talented, much less physical version of Pacioretty.”

Ryan hits more than Patches and has easily scored 30 goals in his last three seasons.

He’s more than slightly more talented than Patches and he’s actually a very physical player.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would trade PK for Ryan. They are both young and we need help on big young scorers. We have some great D prospects and PK is awesome don’t get me wrong but I would trade him.

I would never trade Price. I would lock him up for 6 years

14. Habs fan Munro says:

what number will leblanc be wearing?

I don’t want Maurice tonight, I want the ROCKET

15. PureGuava says:

I just read that the NYR’s have declared McDonagh “untouchable” in their trade talks with ANA regarding Bobby Ryan.

ugh….Gomez

• Bill says:

Ugh … Gainey. He should’ve been sent home to bake bread after that stinker.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Danno says:

Can we trade him for Gomez Addams and a box of Count Chocula cereal?

That would be sweet.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• avatar_58 says:

….really? Then NYR are stupid because I’d gladly give him up for Ryan.

• Chris says:

Out of curiousity, would you give up Subban straight up for Ryan?

• Bripro says:

Do you think McDonaugh is as good as PK?

• Chris says:

I do, although I know that opinion is in the minority.

Subban is flashier and almost certainly better offensively (although McDonagh is on pace for 12 goals and 40 points thus far), but McDonagh is better defensively and plays a more controlled game. (I edited this, as I realized I was fence-straddling a bit).

The telling stat for me is that Subban is -7 in his 103 career games, while McDonagh is +28 in 60 career games. Neither the Rangers nor the Habs are particularly strong offensively, so McDonagh isn’t exactly benefitting from a runaway offence.

I also don’t like how many undisicplined penalties that Subban takes, whereas McDonagh goes relatively penalty-free for a young shut-down defenceman playing over 25 minutes per game.
            McDonagh is also future captain material, something I doubt anybody will ever accuse Subban of being.

• DorvalTony says:

Was Bobby Orr ever a captain?

——————————————————————-

• Bripro says:

Chris, I’d only contradict you because of Suban’s lack of maturity.
            Even in interviews, it’s fairly obvious that he’s still young. I think once he’s matured and learns to gauge his strengths and weaknesses, he’ll be one of the leaders.
            Don’t discount him for Captaincy yet.

I like the way you edited that while I was answering you.

• Chris says:

Tony: No, because Bobby Orr never wanted the captaincy. Instead, the team took the C off of Bucyk’s sweater for a few seasons and went captainless before finally putting it back on Bucyk when it was clear that Orr didn’t want it.

• Chris says:

Bripro: I’d frankly be surprised if Subban was ever considered for the captaincy. He’s an exciting player, but he does not elicit a lot of respect around the NHL. The Montreal Canadiens have placed a lot of emphasis on their captains being classy individuals since Beliveau’s days, with very few exceptions.

I think Subban has generated a bit too much bad blood around the league for the Habs to be comfortable with him getting a letter.

I’d love to be proven wrong on that front, though.

P.S. At least I admitted that I edited it while you were typing! :)

• Bripro says:

Good of you to man up! ;)
            Final comment from my end on this.

Scott Stevens didn’t get much respect from the rest of the NHL when he played, but the organization thought otherwise.
            I’m not sure the Canadiens’ organization would be any different.

• Polar Bear says:

ask me in 5 years once they have developed. stupid question right now

• slychard says:

Why Gainey had to throw in McDonaugh was and still is a head scratcher. Ya think simply picking up that horrid contract of Gomez was more then enough of a favor to Sather.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Chris says:

I to this day believe that that particular stinker of a trade would have been consummated without anybody else, but certainly would have been completed with Weber or Carle instead of McDonagh.

Picture McDonagh and Subban on the Habs blue line together. I was so excited until they dealt him for Gomez. Ugh.

16. vivsterjuve88 says:

would anyone like to join me in venting about kostitsyn’s placement on the 1st line? I mean I get that you want to make your top 2 lines as deadly as possible but if that’s somehow never gonna include eller, can we at least give him some respectable talent to play with? We all know that when he’s got kostitsyn by his side it almost doesn’t matter who the 2nd winger is, they still get it done.
    Don’t mistake me for Jacques Martin with this one, but could we move Moen to Plekanec’s line? That gives a little size and strength to the 1st line and gives us 3 lines with scoring potential. One of those is bound to matched up against weaker lines. Instead we’ve got a palushaj-eller-moen line that won’t be giving the ducks any major headaches imo.
    Then again, if Louis Leblanc gets to play, where does he fit in? Does he join Plekanec so Kostitsyn plays with Eller, or does he join eller instead of Palushaj, or does he just straight take weber’s spot on a line where he clearly isn’t cut out to play that role… either way leblanc hasn’t exactly been dominating the AHL with his skills, and physical strength isn’t part of his game either, so i don’t expect anything amazing from him on this callup at all. Next year maybe tho

• savethepuck says:

Weber stays on the 4th line, he’s been on the point for the 2nd PP unit the last few practices.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• samTHEman says:

Imo the lines tomorrow should be

Moen-Plekanec-Gionta
      Cammalleri-DD-Cole
      Leblanc-Eller-Kostitsyn
      Darche-Nokes-Palushaj

———————————————————-
      It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

• habfanacrossthed says:

I agree big time! Give Moen the dirty work on the top line. Has been producing well so far.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• geo_habsgo says:

Agree. Moen has magic hands this season he can handle it. The Leblanc-Eller-Kostitsyn line would be solid as well if Leblanc can keep up. With talent like that playing against the teams bottom lines we should be a big scoring threat.
        …Now find a way to get those combos to Martin ASAP :p

• Arrow77 says:

That’s one thing I never like about JM’s use of Kostitsyn. For all his skills, AK hasn’t shown much versatility in his career and Eller seems to be the type of center that he really needs to be consistent. The problem is that Martin often uses him to get other line started and the only thing he ends up doing is get him into a scoring slump.

17. likehoy says:

great news that Markov could be back sooner than later, but everyone will be holding their breath every shift markov plays.. I hope Markov’s not thinking the same thing and just goes out there and plays the way he can.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

18. Bill says:

Where does Leblanc fit in here? Looks like either in Palushaj’s or Weber’s place … probably Palushaj’s, since JM likes Weber on the PP.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• savethepuck says:

Makes sense to me, but don’t know if it will be for tomorrow night’s game. Of course the shit will hit the fan on here if he is not on 1 of the top 3 lines tomorrow night.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Bill says:

I’m not sure anyone’s expecting Leblanc to get decent ice-time or mates: he’s a rookie who has played, what, 14 professional games in the AHL? And he hasn’t exactly been dominating down there, just having a solid rookie campaign.

I will complain if he’s on the 4th line, because I don’t think he’s that kind of player: I’d rather see Blunden, someone who, along with Nokelainen, can throw a hit and make life hard on the opposition. Habs did great when Blunden was on the 4th line, coincidence, somewhat, but I would’ve stuck with what was working.

Full Breezer 4 Life

19. TommyB says:

Discussion further down about the possiblity of trading [insert names] to Calgary for Iginla. I like Iginla, and I think a change of scenery would work wonders for his career. The possibility of him re-uniting with Cammy might be something worth seeing. But here’s the fly in the ointment: Iginla can’t get along with Sutter. What makes anyone think that situtaion gets better for Iginla with JM as his coach? Sutter and Martin are too old school taskmasters, both with the personalities of mud drying on your boots. I think it would send Iggy into depression.

20. Mattyleg says:

Every game I see him play, the more I love EmelinYemelin.
    He gets involved in the rush, he hits like a brute, he’s defensively responsible, he can hit like a truck, he never steps down, his hitting is like a charging rhino, and he’s got a great shot.

Did I mention that I like it when he hits the opposition?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. sane hockey fan says:

agreed

22. Feraco says:

Ok! Some great posts today reading through this trend! Some quick points on the season:

Price has been his usual self, keeps us in every game.

Defense has been good considering all the injuries! Emelin fits right in now.

We have been extraordinarily inconsistent. Yes we have injuries but they have not been to “core” players.

Cammy, Pleks, Gionta, Cole, Pk, Price and Gorges have all played more games than they missed.

Areas of concern: PP – and that’s from losing Wiz, Hammer and Markov.

We have more depth this year than we have ever had, more skill and more speed, more potential for the forwards. The players have raised concerns about “sitting back” numerous times. They simply have not shown a killer instinct.

Overall I like the team, players, potential. They have a lot of good parts.

My concern…with the growth of youth this year…where do we go from here? What happens with Gorges, Kostitsyn, Pk and Price?

23. Stev.R says:

Our? As in the comments on this message board? I agree. No matter what Markov is able to do, there will always be something to bitch about on these forums. Everyone complains on this message board, suggesting what they think needs to be done to fix their pain, but if the team did everything that we suggested, we still wouldn’t be happy…

24. geo_habsgo says:

the Cammie-DD-Cole line will get murdered I think. DD needs to be insulated to be effective. He’s a great player but he needs size on both wings to give him space to make his plays. We’ll see I guess. I hope I’m wrong and that Cammie tears it up.

Also, are Subban and Gorges the #5-6 defencemen? Thats how I read it looking at the lineup. That would be silly. But MARKOV! Hopefully he lasts more than four games. I hope he didn’t rush back this time.

• shiram says:

Way I saw was Markov/Emelin was the third pair.
      Gorges/Subban is the first pair.
      DD is a great player, but only if he gets the right wingers, right…

Randy for HC!

• Bill says:

Certainly won’t hurt Cammalleri to have DD dishing the puck: DD’s strength is that he’s probably the best pure playmaker on the team. For whatever reason there just isn’t much chemistry between Pleks and Cammalleri, so let’s give this a try.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• karatekid says:

Totally agree geo. DD with fellow smurfs is a recipe for smurfkill.

PuckBandits

• geo_habsgo says:

That’s not to say that Cole is a smurf in any way though. And Cammalleri prior to this season has played pretty tough and strong despite his size. Just worried that if he keeps up his play of late he will only hurt that line. On the flipside, as Bill suggested, maybe this is what he needs to get him going.

• roady says:

I think they will do quite well, Cammalleri and Plekanec have no chemistry whatsoever so it’s just as well JM broke them up. DD can play with anybody on this team and make them better. Cammy is going to get passes on the tape at just the right time, all he has to do is find open ice, get in that shooting stance of his and bingo…DD will get it to him just like he does with Cole and will again with Max. The kid works his ass off every shift. It’s not the size of the man as much as it is the size of the heart of the man. I like the kid…he is getting better and the more people doubt him the better he gets. Of course he’s not going to be knocking a bigger man off the puck, but that is physics, not hockey…hockey is played between the ears and DD has it going on up there in my opinion. Any short comings he has,pardon the pun, he makes up for with smarts…that’s what got him where he is at every level so far…wish we had more like him !

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

• geo_habsgo says:

That’s a fair assessment and I’m inclined to agree. I just don’t want to see Desharnais get hurt. There is a reason that MaxPac called him the greatest player that he’s ever played with and that was AFTER he had played games on lines centered by Pleks and Gomer (before he really sucked). Desharnais is full value for this team.

25. avatar_58 says:

Damnit. Markov’s return and Leblanc’s debut and I’m missing it….

26. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Perhaps we don’t need one. We’re six points out of the division lead and three points out of 6th place. I think it’s fair to say that a stronger PP (which surely Markov’s presence will provide) and a few less goals against (which again, 20 minutes of Markov would provide) and we’d be right in the thick of things.

And with 58 games left in the season, I think his impact is enough for us to gain that ground. And as this team has shown in the two previous seasons, once the playoffs start, all bets are off.

Last year, our major concern was 5-on-5 scoring. We’ve made vast improvements in that aspect, but yes our PP has been woeful, which Markov will help immensely.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, I’m with you on that one, GotF.
      Markov should be able to give us the edge that’ll win us those 1 goal games that we’ve been losing, either with PP goals or defensive work.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. C_exacte says:

Markov!!!!! quote the kid from The Wizard – “Californiaaaaaaaaaaa”

28. Paulin98C says:

PP1:

MaxP – Desharnais – Cole
    Markov – Yemelin

PP2:

Gionta – Plekanec – Cammaleri
    Subban – AK46

29. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Just for fun… [if you don't like fantasy GMing, feel free to tune out :)]

Lots of talk here in Calgary about Iggy potentially going. I know he’s not the centre we need, but he is a game breaker. If the Flames were to deal Iggy, it’d be in the interests of rebuilding, so they’ll want young prospects. Mightn’t even be a roster player needed.

As for Iggy, over the hill? No. Poorly coached for years and ruined by Darryl Sutter? Unequivocally yes. He’s still got three or four seasons in him where he can contribute in a major way. And I think he’d be the type of guy who’d want to take on the challenge of playing in Montreal. Particularly with his old linemate Cammy. I think we’d be a team he’d consider if he was in fact going to waive his no-trade.

So, just for fun, what would you give up for him? A player of his caliber, it’d take a lot, we can’t just unload players we don’t want.

Probably take a top flight prospect like one of:
    LeBlanc, Gallagher, Kristo, Beaulieau, Tinordi
    As well as young as a young guy with some potential like Weber or maybe a pick. Seem about right?

Thoughts?

(and obviously we bury Gomez in Hamilton to free up the cap space)

• MikeL says:

There is no way that the Habs could justify giving up a top prospect, likely a 1st round pick, and another player for Iginla. Not in their current position.

If Iginla is traded, I’d assume it will go to a team on the cusp of winning, or, a team that needs a shakeup and has a realistic chance at the cup. i.e. Washington.

Not us.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Talk about Dallas too — be interesting storyline as he was traded for Joe Alphabet in the first place. (A deal which was not received well here interestingly enough, given our propensity for knee jerk reactions).

You know, I genuinely wonder about our status as a Cup contender. It seems like now more than ever before any team that makes the playoffs, if they get hot, has a chance. And with our goalie and a bit more firepower up front, I wouldn’t count us out of any series. So maybe it’s time to bet the farm a bit.

Normally our 5-on-5 kills us, but this year we’ve actually been half decent there. And you have to believe that Markov is going to lead the PP to at least respectability (and adding Iggy to the mix would elevate it further). The goalie is the franchise, so we’re solid there. Our D has been decimated, so it’s hard to get a read on them. But if Diaz and Emelin are playing 5th and 6th dman minutes, I think they’ll develop well.

Forgive the optimism, but can’t help it for some reason :)

• Mattyleg says:

I could see us getting Iggy and a 2nd for Gionta and Diaz and a 3rd rounder.

Or something like that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• MikeL says:

lol. WE give the better draft pick in that deal? wow.

• Mattyleg says:

Read it again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• MikeL says:

Yes, I read it right the first time. Just wrote it wrong in my reply.

It should have said WE get the better pick.

Either way, that wouldn’t even come close to working in a video game. Iginla would cost a minimum of a top prospect and a 1st round pick.

• Mattyleg says:

I disagree.
            And I don’t value video game ‘intelligence’ much.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• MikeL says:

Neither do I, which is exactly my point.

• slychard says:

Good day Matty…what’s wrong, you wake up on the wrong side today? Ya don’t seem like the usual chirpy self today.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Don’t think they’d take Gio. Nothing against him (despite his recent struggles), but if the Flames do this, I think it’s going to be in a rebuilding effort. They’re going to want youth in a serious way. And I think there’ll have to be a prize piece in the deal. A major prospect. As I noted below, if this deal happens I think perception is going to be a major issue. If the Flames look like they didn’t get a lot for him, they’ll get slammed mercilessly in the press for trading the franchise and a guy with his influence in the community.

• Mattyleg says:

Interesting.
          But I think they’d be worried that a prospect might not work out.
          I think they’d need a vet to replace Iggy’s experience, and they’ve had zero joy getting a decent centre.
          Maybe instead of Diaz, someone like Kristo?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’d actually say Diaz and Kristo would be more along the lines of what they’d like. I wonder about the veteran presence — they have a lot of pluggers, so they might just draw on that for their vets. Follow the Oilers model more (though Smyth has had a huge rejuvanation, I doubt that was the expectation).

Fun to ponder anyway!

• If you were Calgary, would you take that deal? : )

• G-Man says:

I like Iggy. Especially 3 or 4 seasons ago. To get him now, offer up Weber and Diaz and a 3rd rounder.

• PeterD says:

How about a salary trade…Gomez and our 1st rounder in 2012 and a prospect like Kristo…for Iginla.
      Calgary then sends Gomez to the AHL to free up cap space…something the Habs just don’t have the balls to do for fear of alienating other future free agents and high priced help.

So in essence the Flames get a 1st and a prosect in Kristo (a 2nd round pick in ’08) and the Habs get Iginla a proven goal scorer and competitor.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Don’t think the Flames would absorb Gomez’s salary, even if it didn’t count against the cap. There is a huge PR angle to this too. Iggy is really HUGE in this city and if they trade him, it’ll have to be a great deal. Gomez, regardless of their plan with him, would be looked at with derision. I don’t think they’d do it.

Gomez = 4th rounder or less
          He’d be part of a throw in where the Habs would have to absorb part (most) of the salary.
          So it ain’t happenin’.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Agree, if this deal were to happen (or any major deal), I think PG will have to convince Molson to accept eating Gomez’s salary and burying him in the minors for life.

Only potential problem is if someone wanted to cause us grief and pick him up on re-entry waivers, in which place, I believe we’re responsible for half the cap hit. I’m not positive on that, but believe that to be the case.

• Bripro says:

Yes, that would be the case.
            But the way poor Gomez is hindering the system when he’s on the ice instead of Eller, it would pay to have him claimed.
            The team would shed $3.7 million and be more effective.
            I like Gomez. He really does seem to bring some positive energy to the room, but his inefficiency is a cancer to the team’s performance.
            And like many here, I’ve had enough. He’s been given a lot of time to “step up”. I guess the steps are too high.

• He’s 34 years old, with another year on his contract after this one and a few good years left after that, and he managed 43 goals last year.

Mike Richards got the Flyers Simmonds, Schenn and a 2nd, and Carter was dealt for Voracek, a 1st and a 3rd (man I wish Montreal had made a similar offer for him). So, If I’m Calgary, and i need youth and depth at centre, I’m asking for Eller, Leblanc and a low pick. I might drop the pick in the negotiations, but that’s what I’d ask for — and you know that if Montreal doesn’t give it to Calgary, someone else will pony up something equivalent.

I do think we need a veteran 30/40-goal power forward like Iginla, but if we’re going to give up that much, he’s got to be a centre with a longer contract and a bit more youth.

30. Chris says:

So with the imminent return of Andrei Markov, we’re finally going to get an answer to how exactly he is going to fit into the Habs PP.

On first glance, Markov seems like an undeniable upgrade that should elevate the entire group. However, there is one concern: Markov has never been particularly comfortable at the right point.

Markov loves to set up shop on the left point, looking to pass across to his defence partner for one-timers, feed cross-ice passes to the RW on the PP and creep in from the point to tap in cross-ice feeds.

I’m certainly going to give Markov a little bit of a buffer before expecting his return to benefit the PP as he adjusts to a completely new role.

• thorandresson says:

I see him slotting in where Weber is now and Weber getting traded.

I think that’s why JM has been playing plekanec on the point, because he feels that him and Markov can be a pretty lethal combination there and it adds depth to the powerplay units.

• Timo says:

I predict that once Markov honeymoon is over (say about 5-6 games) Habs will be back to sucking the way they suck now. Nothing can conceal the fact that the team is poorly coached and no superstar is going to make a significant impact on that team unless the coach is canned and a new competent one put in place.

• Gerry H says:

“The natural shooters on the Habs PP are either Subban or Weber, but both are right-handed shots. They can’t take one-timers from the right point with Markov setting them up, so the whole power play system that Markov has been so dominant in has to be completely re-drawn.”

You’ve got that backwards. RH shots one-time from the left side.

• Chris says:

That is why I said they can’t take one-timers from the right point. :)

Back when they tried moving Markov to the right-point, he was on record talking about not being comfortable on that side. If Markov is on the left side, there seemingly isn’t room for Subban or Weber with him. Which means that his return may not necessarily mean that Plekanec leaves the PP pointman role that he is currently being asked to fill.

31. Iceberg84 says:

Hey Boone, re: your comment about whether or not we want a mulligan on the 2003 draft, my answer is still an unequivocal yes. :)

Although who knows, maybe Getzlaf only thrives in a non-hockey environment.

32. PeterD says:

Trade talk is just speculation and a potential source of hope that somehow we can salvage what is looking like a sinking season before it is too later and we find ourselves playing for high draft picks…but I fear if we tanked the coach would play us out of top pick contention…just because he is such an ass.

I have been hearing of great play-off performers and great room guys like Cammalleri and Gomez for too long…great only if the team make the play-offs…we need players that contribute strong on-ice performance just so we make it into the play-offs…for Gomez this just isn’t happening for the past two seasons…and if Cammalleri does wake up and start palying to his potential he won’t be helping us either.

This team needs a game breaker scoring threat and we need that player soon. Tell me a team in the East that is competing for a play-offs position that does not have at least one game breaker scorer in the line-up. Now who is that guy on the Habs…I don’t see him. Sure we have some guys who can score like Max Pac and Moen :-) …but seriously, where is our Giroux, Ovechkin, Richards, Kessel (yes that’s right Kessel), St. Louis or Stamkos, etc.

Gauthier may not be viewed as a good trading GM but how good was he at the Halak for Eller trade…in keeping Price and getting Eller the Habs won that trade hands down and the results are getting better every game Eller plays.

The season more than any other in recent time shows a very high compete level in the Eastern Conference…the Habs will need to put together a very serious string of wins to pull into a play-off spot and if they have any hope of going far in the play-offs we will need a few different players on the team…I think of Defense will be OK in the long run, but other than the Max Pac-DD-Cole line we have a real absense of scoring depth (that is performing to their potential).

• G-Man says:

So, now you want a Pierre Turgeon type? Great regular season and pretty much a bust in the playoffs.

The jury is still out on Eller. His points production just isn’t that good.
      The game breaker scoring threat will only happen if the Habs can land a Malkin or a Crosby. In other words, don’t count on it. Habs need a Guy Lafleur clone in the worst way, but wishing for it and it actually happening are two very different things. GMs do not trade game breakers unless they are morons like Peter Puck, the idiot that sold Gretzky.

• Chris says:

They do come up occasionally. I still think Malkin will be available this summer with the emergence of Staal and the return to healt of Crosby. The Penguins don’t need Malkin as a centre, and he might not want to play as a winger. I also think the Blue Jackets will have to consider trading Nash soon (even though I think he is over-rated) as he must be getting disillusioned in that environment.

Kovalchuk and Hossa were both available in the past few years. Thornton was traded during his career, and Marleau has been available at various times for the right price, which nobody has wanted to pay.

The league’s current goal-scoring leader, Phil Kessel, was traded after posting a 36 goal season as a 22 year old. James Neal, one of the best young power-forwards in the league, was acquired as a 23 year old, just entering his prime.

Good to great players are frequently available for contract reasons or personality conflicts with management. I’m not holding my breath, because you are correct that such players are rarely available and the competition is often fierce. And you’ve got to be willing to give up quality players to get quality players in return, something that the Habs’ management and fan base have traditionally seemed averse to.

• PeterD says:

Now be fair…I never mentioned Pierre Turgeon of Denis Savrd for that matter…we picked them up as politically correct trades to satisfy the Franco fans but we did it too late when they were at the end of their careers.

Maybe a guy like Semin needs to play outof Ovechkin’s shadow and in a offensively slanted system (obviously not with our current Habs), but dump Martin and change systems and who knows…maybe a guy like that might just fit in with the other guys that should be lighting the goal lamp with more frequency.

I don’t think Eller needs to be a offensive start to make this a good trade…he just gets better every game he plays. He has all the tools to be a Plekanecs “light” type of player.

As for moron GM’s…you gotta remember that not so long ago there was one of the most moronic GM’s of all time in Mike Milbury…so they do in fact exist…unlike the tooth fairie who may or not truely exist.

• G-Man says:

It’s rare to see an extremely lop-sided trade these days. The Habs don’t have the depth yet to offer a competitive package for a Malkin type. (If Malkin is traded, it will be to the West.) However, if Getzlaf or Perry or Ryan are available, I would offer up PK and Price. They are the only 2 logical players. So, would you make this trade?

PK + Price = Getzlaf OR Perry OR Ryan.

• Chris says:

Why does it have to be PK + Price? Why couldn’t it be Plekanec + Leblanc + a 1st round pick, for example?

I’m not saying I would do that trade, but I think Anaheim would take a long, hard look at that one.

• PeterD says:

No…I think Price and PK are untouchable at this point because of talent and they are fan favourites…Gauthier woul dnot get out of town alive if he made that trade.

• PeterD says:

We will need to be bold and give up talent for talent there is no doubt about…so whatever deal is put together will never be loved by everyone.
            I’m pretty sure at the time of the legendary Sam Pollock trade that gave the Habvs the pick that turned out to be Guy Lafluer, that a lot of people questioned that trade and whether Sam had lost his mind…at least until they made their pick later that Spring.

• slychard says:

The idiot that sold Gretzky had no choice, the owner needed cash. He was against the trade.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Kooch7800 says:

Eller’s point production is not good at all it has been brutal. A for effort but effort doesn’t count in points. I think he is a third line at best guy but that is just my opinion

• I don’t think the sky is falling just yet — we’re one point out of 8th place and three points behind the Rangers and Buffalo. We’ve dug ourselves a bit of a hole, for sure, but it’s not as deep as we might have thought.

A 10-10-4 record isn’t very good, but it’s not abysmal either, and I wonder how many teams would have managed to tread water at that decent pace with four of their top six defencemen injured for long periods in the first 24 games.

33. RDS says Markov is in the lineup tomorrow.

______________________________
    Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

• shiram says:

I might just start to enjoy Habs PP again!

Randy for HC!

• PeterD says:

I hope RDS is right…would love to see a healthy and strong Markov back in the line and playing interpreter for Emelin.
      The powerplay should benefit as well…it already has if Plecs is off thepoint on the PP.

• thorandresson says:

I think the problem isn’t so much Pleks on the point, but Weber, replace him with Markov and….

I think I’m one of the few who likes Pleks at the point, I think it’s JM’s project early this season and we’ll see it pay off big time the rest of the season.

• savethepuck says:

Good, I was getting tired of seeing PK or Weber with their stick in the air for the one-timer having to move two feet forward or 2 feet back, to receive a pass instead.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Bripro says:

Last night, Renaud Lavoie was commenting on L’Antichambre that during yesterday morning’s practice, Markov skated very well in a linear direction, but was having difficulty with his turns and pivots.
      I guess it’s better to try him against the floundering Ducks than agains L.A. or San Hose.

• Jordio-oh says:

Confirmed? Or did RDS say that it was likely he could suit up.

Seems like a semantics, but there is a difference.

I just need to know for sure before I start making obnoxious Facebook posts and text messages to all of my friends who hate the Habs.

• Kooch7800 says:

That would be huge but I am not holding my breath

34. C_exacte says:

If Leblanc gets a single point, he’ll tie Darche with 24 less games played. Cammalleri, Koivu & Ryan all have the same number of points, except one of them makes 2.5 million…

35. Habs-royalty says:

some random stats i came across which confirm what one can see at tv

Gionta: Missed Shots 37 , Shots on Target 54 (only 56 %)

Last year he hit the net at 72 % creating rebounds and second chances

————————————————————————

1. Cole 24gp 61 Hits
    2. Emelin 16 gp 59 Hits , wow

36. Bripro says:

I’m glad I logged on when I did. Lots of activity for a change.
    Why is there talk of trade?
    I think we have a coaching issue. They players aren’t motivated
    Markov is returning, although I doubt 100%. AK also.
    Keep Eller as 3rd line center, and keep the DD line intact.
    I’m convinced this team is better than has been showing.
    Fine, we don’t have an elite player with experience, but
    we’ve got some pretty good talent.
    They just need their confidence back. And that starts with smart coaching.
    As for the penalty imposed to Max, that’s another issue, and I don’t want to be fined by the NHL for speaking out of line. Since a pub owner friend of mine got raked over the coals for posting a Habs logo outside last year, anything’s possible. For me, one word (name) explains the imbalance in penalties between some teams and others….Campbell.

• J_P says:

I agree. The teams performance doesnt stack up with its talent, but I also believe that the teams talent doesnt match up with the system the coach has them play, which is why I agree that a coaching change is needed.

As for patches. I am sorry to say but patches deserved a suspension. I even said right after he made the hit, and we watched a couple of replays, that he would sit for three. THe only issue I have is how can boston players do whatever they want with zero consequence and patches, a first time offender, gets 3 games? The hit was illegal, and suspendable in my opinion, its the disparity between rulings that gets to me. Its a classic rule 48 hit, coming from the blindside, with the head being the principle point of contact. However, based on shanny’s past rulings, he’s allowed leeway when he deemed the player put himself in a vulnerable position, which letang did. Letang had his head down after taking a shot. I think patches biggest mistake was actually feeling remorseful and apologizing (I dont mean that literally) as he should have taken one out of the bruins playbook, played dumb, and said that he didnt know letang was there.

You also raised a good point about campbell. People forget that he is still around, and could very easily still have influence over supplimentary discipline.

• Bripro says:

I guess I should have elaborated a little more.
        I agree with you on the imposed suspension on Max.
        What gets to me is the imbalance in imposed suspensions.
        Lucic’s run through Miller (let’s forget about Chara from last year – lost cause) should have conjured up a number of games. Yet, nothing.
        And Max did in fact Letang while he was compromised and deserved to be suspended for it, but 3 games? And Lucic and Malone get nothing.
        I know I sound like a biased Habs fan (and I am), but the (non) sentences lack fairness.

37. kmachabs27 says:

i cant wait for the bashing on Louie if he doesnt score on this road trip…”trade him, he suckss” blahh blahh blahhh.

38. ont fan says:

You have to be kidding about that Ryan trade…you would have to give Subban Lablanc and a first draft pick. He’s 6′ 5 with golden hands

39. habsfan0 says:

Louis LeBlanc set to become 800th player for Habs.

What number was future Hall of Famer Janne Niinimaa, I wonder?

• V says:

When I saw the 800 number, I thought that was number of changes to lines in one JM coached game.

Leafs would have beat this record but 40% of the guys playing for them over the last 10 years did not meet the minimum requirements of ‘player’.

• anotherhab says:

I’m thinking around the same # as the great B. Smolinski or K. Dykhuis!

40. Well Cole earned 18 Million dollars worth of confidence in the off season, so i don’t think that dog hunts.

41. Malreg says:

LucGelinas Luc Gelinas
    Selon toute vraisemblance, Markov va revenir au jeu demain contre les Ducks. Il forme un duo avec Emelin alors que Weber est sur le 4e trio.

42. adamkennelly says:

why can’t Molson come out and make a comment about the horses%^&$T league discipline, refing etc…show that you have your players backs..take the fine to make a point. Max almost killed last year – no suspension…questionable hit to the head of a player who doesn’t even leave the game..3 games…say something…grow a sac….

43. shiram says:

What do you guys think about the fine to James Neal for high-sticking Subban?
    I can understand the rational between penalizing every high stick, but did the play warrant for Neal to get fined? I don’t think so.

Randy for HC!

44. PeterD says:

Looking forward to seeing how Leblanc play but I think Gauthier is on the trip to make a trade…I think he is dangling Leblanc and Cammalleri for Bobby Ryan. Or maybe a D like Weber and Mike Cammalleri for Ryan or Getzlaf…Make the deal Pierre…a deal like that would add size and scoring up front…sure B. Ryan is haveing a bad year, but he a perennial 30+ goal scorer and we have a plethera of D-men and Cammalleri has sucked the past two seasons…
    Or maybe you toss AK46 and a D-man and a Prospect (do we have any?) for Getzlaf or Ryan.
    If we don’t upgrade our top end scoring, get rid of Gomez’s contract and replace the head coach this team is toast by the trade deadline…

• HabFanSince72 says:

There is no way the Ducks make any of those trades. Cammalleri is overpaid and under-performing at the moment. Even at his best his salary is excessive, and he isn’t getting any younger.

Assuming PK and Price are untouchable, Bobby Ryan will not be a Hab unless we part with lots of picks. Say MaxPac and two first rounders? Nothing less makes sense for the Ducks.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would put up PK and Ak for Getzlaf. I love PK and think he will be good I just think we have some other good D men in the System and top end size and scoring have been a huge issue for the last few years.

I know people would want to kill me for the possibility of trading PK but Getz is awesome. Even for Staal I would do it.

• Bripro says:

You don’t “toss” in a player like AK.
      Take a look at how he’s playing this year.
      Very aggressive, and starting to show his talent.
      Next to Cole, he’s the best player on the team right now.
      Even if he stays healthy, he’ll be excellent trade material at trade deadline, if PG decides not to keep him. Personally, I’d look to re-sign him.
      And Leblanc is part of the team’s future. Stop trading away the future.
      Cammy, fine. Add a junior prospect who’s on the fence.
      I’d take either of Ryan or Getzlaf, just as you suggested. But be smart in how you trade for them.
      PG’s got to learn to trade like Sam Pollock used to.

• kmachabs27 says:

i just puked up my lunch reading this post

• G-Man says:

So, during the 2010 playoffs, the one who has “sucked the past two seasons” only scored 13 goals with 6assists in 19 games. During the 2011 playoffs, he scored 3 with 7 assists in 7 games.

If that’s your definition of sucking, I am completely baffled.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Cammy has been lights out in the playoffs. I can’t figure out why he is sucking it up huge in the reg season. Look at when he played in Calgary he was a machine. Now in the reg season he is not as effective. He has also been hurt a ton as well. i am wondering if it is because we have so many small forwards he is not insulated at all

• LA Loyalist says:

You have to be kidding.

It would take Price, Subban and Cammi to get either of Ryan of Getzlaf.

As for your summary, you are correct, we need a stud center, to get rid of Gomez and JM. None of those things will happen this year, probably not for two years, so gird yourself to suffer a while yet.

45. HABZ24 says:

glad to see local kid makes good, hope leblanc lites it up.

GO HABS GO

46. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree that Darche is not good this year. Marginal skill plus one year older I guess. (He did quite well last year with 12 goals – more than Gomez, Moen, Halpern and Eller with far fewer games)

But let’s stop obsessing about the player with the second lowest time on ice per game. He is not the reason we are doing poorly. Also I think Darche – Nokia – White could be a useful 4th line.

• I don;t think people talk about Darche cause they obsessing about him as much as they cant understand how JM has played him on the PP over Cole for so long.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Powerplay time on ice per game:

Darche: 1.10
        Cole: 3:04

Darche gets less time on the PP than almost any other forward except Lars Eller and Peter Nokelainen.

I think he was tried on the PP early on because he is the only Hab who goes to the net.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, nobody else will stand in front of the net, except Gionta, and goalies can see over him.
          From their knees.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

AK’s been doing a great job of obstructing this year…for a change.
            But JM’s early experiment of leaving Cole on the bench for Darche was pretty sad. Good thing JM wizened up.

• ooder says:

@Briprio.. it’s a good thing Jessica had the balls (ironic isn’t it) to say something during the press conference about it.

——————
            The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

Seriously ooder!

• adamkennelly says:

Darche is terrible – end of story…no business being on this team or any other NHL team…a 4th liner who can’t skate but who can fight would do this team a lot more good…he doesn’t do anything out there except take up ice time minutes…go away.

• thorandresson says:

That was only at the beginning of the season, and I think it was just a question of JM being comfortable with certain players. He wasn’t going to toss Cole in the PP right away, he had to adapt to the style of play first.

When’s the last time Darche had any PP time?

• For sure it hasn’t been the case recently. But come on. To put Darche on the PP above Cole does not make any sense, even if Cole was a recent addition.

• thorandresson says:

It was the safe play at the time. Cole hadn’t earned the coach’s confidence yet and Cole was learning how to play with his new teammates.

• Bripro says:

Cole should not have had to earn the coache’s confidence, @thor.
            They signed him as this year’s marquee player, and should have been thrown into the mix from the get go.
            It just proves how JM has an odd way of handling offensive players. And not a very good one. IMO.

47. Thomas Le Fan says:

With the way things are with all the retired numbers and such, I won’t be surprised to see a Hab’s player wearing number 800.
    Pa dum bum!

48. Sharks9 says:

Claude Julien says Pacioretty’s hit on Letang was almost identical to Cooke’s hit on Savard.

25 before 14

• HabFanSince72 says:

Did Julien happen to mention Chara’s hit on Pacioretty? I mean, while he’s comparing hits.

• 365fan says:

BS from Julien. Cooke clearly stuck his elbow out at Savard. Max made contact with Letang’s head, but if he had really targeted it like Cooke did then Letang would still be in a dark room somewhere.

One of my favourite Kirk Muller memories is when he was an assistant coach and was standing over the bench glass and yelling at Julien. Kirk had the guts to stand up to Julien and his band of thugs.

49. Habs Notes says:

There is not a player on our roster (other than Price and Subban) or in the pipeline that I would not trade for Bobby Ryan. But we can’t add his salary w/o unloading a contract or two on the Ducks. They couldn’t possibly agree to take Gomez, could they??

As for Darche, he will be glued to the press box if and when White returns.

50. Habsssssssswin says:

Inject some new blood. Louis Leblanc. Start him in Anaheim, far far from Montreal. It has worked before. Youthful exuberance (Subban, Price.Leblanc) paired with time tested experience (Gionta, Cammy,Gill). I like it. We get Marky back. Let Pleks concentrate on scoring. Gomez shakes the bugaboo curse on him. 60 games to go.
    The Kids are alright !!

WFB

51. Gorges_the_great says:

When was the last time someone got a suspension for hitting a Hab?

52. Old Bald Bird says:

It’s fairly simple to me, but then I’m kind of a simple-minded guy. If justice is applied unevenly with different rules for different people it ain’t justice at all. Therefore, in light of precedent, this suspension was too severe at least and even unwarranted at most.

In Shanny’s world, it doesn’t seem to be the universal case that headshots are headshots and that they are always punishable. He is willing to see mitigating factors in order to justify excusing some, but he is impervious to such circumstances for others. I see this as bias even though I am willing to believe that it is unintended. If he is going to be strict and even-handed as opposed to arbitrary from here on in, I’ll accept this decision, but that remains to be seen. At the moment, I am not impressed.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well, yes, but as it turns out, Gentle Giant Chara is NOT that kind of player while the evil Patches most certainly is THAT KIND OF PLAYER. While I’ll allow that the hit came under the heading of hits we are trying to eliminate, the inconsistency of application makes a joke of the whole proceedings and the NHL’s head disciplinary dude. Shanahan is merely another can of Campbells. He should go ____ himself.

53. Sportfan says:

It’s funny how all of a sudden people are hating on Darche, but I agree he isn’t really 4th line worthy we need an energy line we need a 3rd person for White and Noki to make it a proper energy line cause really with Darche I find his feel good story is over :s

• Sportfan says:

oh i agree we could totally find someone to fill that spot easily but they (coaching staff) need to stop thinking they need him now cause he isn’t even producing.

54. Dickie9 says:

Can at least please rid ourselves of Darche. He might be the most useless player on our team next to Gomez. No offensive skills, no toughness and can’t fight…

55. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

So where will Leblanc slot in? This is the best I can come up with, and without number 67, the lineup is a little sad

Cole – Plekanec – Gionta
    AK46-Eller-Moen
    DD – Leblanc – Cammy
    Darche-Nokia-Blunden

56. HabFanSince72 says:

Regarding Patrick Roy my impression is that goalies are better GMs or team presidents than coaches.

As players they are used to watching the play most of the time, giving them an elevated perspective. Also they play a completely different game than the rest of the team. While the skaters are learning hockey, they are practicing stopping pucks.

Jacques Martin was a goalie by the way.

• LA Loyalist says:

Interesting point. I was a goalie in my youth, I just started playing out last year and had to learn the game all over in terms of positioning and tactical adjustments during a game.

At the NHL level, though, I doubt it makes that much difference. I haven’t seen Roy’s junior team play, but I highly doubt they are sitting back clogging up the neutral zone, glancing over nervously at the bench to see if it’s ok to skate over the other team’s blue line a la Count Chocula.

• Chrisadiens says:

Garth Snow?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• ABHabsfan says:

Goalies know everything! I should know, I am a goalie

• thorandresson says:

It’s like catchers in baseball.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Actually, no, it is not like a catcher in baseball… not at all.

The catcher in baseball is often the one to call for specific pitches in specific situations. Location and speed of the pitch often determines how the fielders are setup (along with batter tendancies). They help the pitcher devise a game plan for each batter (along with the coaches).

Typically, it is his pitch plan (unless he is dealing with a bona fide ace) and the pticher/team makes the adjustments to it. Obviously, the manager and coaches have some input in pitch selection, but for the most part, the catcher is directing the team by calling the pitches.

Goalies do not call the play. They call out the play (as in vocalize to the team things happening on the ice) but they do not strategize the play. The sit back, watch the play unfold, and stay in their own bubble of concentration… they skate off by themselves when there is a scrum….

Therefore, they are nothing like a catcher.

57. ont fan says:

It looks pretty obvious the next coach is probably Patrick Roy whenever that is. There are so few choices left.

58. LA Loyalist says:

I was actually hopeful about Molson’s after the MaxPax disaster with Chara, when Molson wrote his letter and Air Canada was involved, et cetera, we all know the story.

The NHL is run out of New York and Toronto. We are no longer a force and until we are feared on the ice Habs won’t be respected in the boardrooms.

Molsons better figure that out.

• Timo says:

Doubt that Molson cares. At $10 for a glass of p!ss, would you?

• LA Loyalist says:

I don’t drink beer at the games when I go because I don’t like lining up to pee, but I’ll check how much a beer is in Anaheim. Kings is $10 also.

I remember they have Stella on draft, at least.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Stella! HA! Garbage Swill!

Sorry Mate, but Stella is the Molson Canadian of Belgium. Mass produced and without character.

For some silly reason, North Americans see the fancy pants name and think it is the greatest beer on earth…. “it is sounds exotic so it must be delicious…. I poo poo on your Canadian, it tastes like p.ss. Now my Stella, that is a beer”

Order one in Belgium and the beer snobs will scoff at you…. heck order one here in Calgary and I will scoff at you (for thinking it was premium)

If you like it, then hey, that is your preference. Just don’t fool yourself into thinking your getting premium beer… that is just not the case. The only thing premium about Stella is the even greater markup you pay, when compared to Canadian.

P.S. I dislike Canadian. I dislike Stella. Give me some Craft brews with some actual substance and character. Something that doesn’t taste like every other mass produced beer.

and while I am venting… Keiths is not an IPA. I don’t know why they can even call themselves that. A true IPA is quite bitter, full of hops (40+ IBU’s). Keiths is watered down for the masses (<20 IBU's)… basically just Canadian or Blue with a hint more hops. Bleh!

You want to taste a Canadian IPA which closely resembles the traditional IPA? Pick up some Wild Rose IPA and get ready for the hops.

Ok, that is the end of my beer rant.

mmmm, now I want a beer. Maybe a malty Belhaven Wee Heavy!!! Now that is a beer!

Also, shout out to Quebec brewers… You can’t go wrong with a number of Quebec Craft beers. My fave right now is anything by Du De Ciel!! Check them out… it is worth the premium price.

WTF?! Who removed my post?

60. G-Man says:

So, like, the problem isn’t anti-Habs bias that is roiling within NHL HQ? It’s simply thatMolson hasn’t greased Bettman’s accounts enough? Well, that’s an easy fix. Throw him and Shamahan off the roof and see who lands first. ;)

WTF happened to your post, Timo?

61. stevieray says:

You hit the nail on the head on that one partner..Bettman and his croonies from stateside I suspect have a lot to do with it …that probably won’t change until the Molsons start to stir the pot and get a bit more vocal as well as getting rid of the Florida sideshow twins JM & PG…

• HabFanSince72 says:

“Michael Cammalleri is not, nor will ever likely be, a sound defensive player. Yet it does not deter Martin from putting Cammalleri on the penalty kill.”

Except our penalty kill is one of the best in the league.

“In his 1,286 games as head coach of an NHL team, he has a Win-Loss percentage of .450. ”

600 wins, 469 losses 119 ties 74 OT losses. Maybe you want to redo those calculations.

“When he was initially hired my first thought was that the Habs will continue to be a bubble team and that RDS would be happy to have a French-speaking coach.”

Yada yada yada.

• habs03 says:

Who ever wrote that needs to put more research IMO. Coachs are mainly judge by stats, I posted earlier, the Habs have a Top 10 in 5on5 scoring, top 3 PK at over 90%, Top 10 in GA,Top 10 in shots for, Top 3 in shots against, lead the league in blocked shots, his system is working just fine, PP is the main issue, but is expected to improve with Markov coming back. Now Habs went to the ECF in his first year, finished 6th in the East in his 2nd year (was never a bubble team to miss the playoffs).

People complain but never offer a solution on a better replacement, people talk about the Great Guy Boucher, but he has a team that is 11-10-2, expect he has a Former MVP, 2 Rocket Richard winners, and no major injuries.

62. habs001 says:

Most teams that have a 35 year old player on the team is because that player has had a solid scoring career and while his skills have diminished he still can contribute scoring wise or he is still an intimidating tough as nails player…could someone explain to me how we have a roster spot for darche?..i just dont believe that a storied franchise like the habs cannot find better players anywhere in the world than darche,palusaj , nokia, blunden….thank god that moen is scoring some goals otherwise we are loaded with forwards that have scored 0-3 goals in 24 games…

• 24 Cups says:

I’m a little perplexed as to why Darche isn’t the same player that he was last year. I think part of it is to do with his line assignments as Moen has taken over some of his icetime from last year. As well, the guys on the 4th line this year are mostly offensive duds which impacts Darche’s stats.

I still think he is a serviceable player who can be a jack of all trades. Failing that, he’s a perfect guy to have around as a 13th forward. Not to mention that the cupboard is totally bare in Hamilton right now.

• PureGuava says:

It’s unfair to throw Palusaj in there. He’s young, and lit up Hamilton. He comes to the show and is thrown on a patchwork 4th line with two grinders that spend the majority of the game glued to the bench. All this while Gomer, Cammy and Gio play inconsistent, minus hockey for 20 minutes a game.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
      - Robert Anton Wilson

• LA Loyalist says:

They are CHEAP. In the cap era, it’s that simple.

We are still paying off Gomez, who is as useless as tits on a nun, as we used to say, and thus can only afford cheap depth players.

In the old days Scotty would have half a dozen “depth” guys, a couple of scorers and a couple of tough guys that he could tweak the team’s line up depending on the team we were playing any given night.

Sigh. Us? We have Gomez. That’s not even enough depth to drown in.

63. habs03 says:

Top 10 in 5on5 scoring, top 3 PK at over 90%, Top 10 in GA,Top 10 in shots for, Top 3 in shots against. Reason why we aren’t where were suppose to be is the PP. PP cost us games in Toronto(1st game), Fla, Oilers. That would have put us 13-7-3 for the season. Watch with the PP return to being a Top 10 PP, with finally having Markov back, and Pleck back at C. And Habs finish 6th in the East again.

64. habs001 says:

are now 23rd…we have scored the 18th most goals and given up 13th(some teams have Well in points we played fewer games)…while injuries have been a factor, other teams ahead of us have had injuries also…leafs injuries have been just as bad as ours…yet despite the fact that we have players on the team that have limited experience, forwards who have underperformed and players who have no business being on a nhl roster if we hade a decent pp we would be a top 10 team in points…

• habs001 says:

Vikings management led by spielman has to be one of the worst in the nfl..niners are playing well but i am not sure i would trust them to win in the playoffs…

65. Hard4Habs says:

This is great news for Leblanc, a player in the mold of a certain Patrice Bergeron. Although Louis is definitively more of a late bloomer, no doubt in my mind he will have an impact on our top 6 in the NHL sooner than later.
    This is a player who’s always been defensively aware, playing a gritty game, going to the net and winning his battles in corners and along the boards.
    He also has produced at a point per game pace after his second Midget AAA season; season where he scored 54 goals and 91 pts in 43 games compared to Bergerons 62 pts in 38 games at that level. Of course Bergeron made the Bruins at 18 and has developed into one of the best 2way forwards in the game. But like mentioned above, he’ll be more of a late bloomer imo, having played less games in college hockey and with that shoulder injury..
    I expect great things from this guy and know he won’t disappoint. Plus he’s exactly the type of player that Martin loves; don’t be surprised if he stays with the team longer than those 3 games and moves up to number 1 on the teams depth chart.

• LA Loyalist says:

I’ll be watching him live tomorrow night.

I’m very interested to watch the team live this year, we’ll be sitting near the bench and I am going to watch those interactions, too.

As for the guy below who posted he’d take Teemu for Cammi straight up? That is hilarious. That said, Kings still like Cammi and come March… they’ll send us Penner, who has been a complete bust (and yes last year I was one of the guys who wanted him).

I’ll report on the Ducks game Thursday morning, as it’s a school night :-) and I’m taking my kid. I’ll wear my Habs Koivu jersey and he’s wearing his Ducks Koivu jersey. :-)

• DearyLeary says:

In the mould of Bergeron? Yeah no pressure or anything.

The next great Francohope.

66. Dave Kellerman says:

Here’s to #800!

I think you guys will get a laugh out of this.

Well if the Toronto Star doesn’t think JM is on the hot seat, then that settles it, JM is finishing his contract out with Montreal at a minimum.

• 24 Cups says:

I’d like to see an article that lists 7 or 8 guys who are truly ready to take over one of these “vacant” jobs.

I think that Washington blew it by going with Hunter. They should have opted for Patrick Roy instead:-)

67. Posted this at 3am on a dying thread, so I’ll repost it here — I guess it hit a nerve with me. : )

When we moan and whine about this suspension, we sound like a bunch of Toronto fans. It’s entirely legitimate to complain about the lack of consequences when Max, Campoli and others were injured. But it’s just dumb to complain when the rules are actually applied, just because we’re not happy that the punished player is a Hab.

Fact is, Pacioretty should have been suspended and we all know it. I don’t care if it was entirely intentional, and neither should you. He could and should have done more to avoid taking Letang’s head off, pure and simple.

The lack of suspensions on Malone and Chara were a joke. But if Steckel and Hedman can somehow both escape suspension when they demolish the NHL’s golden boy, there’s more wrong with the league than bias against this or that team. All these errors are evidence of real problems in the NHL, but they don’t mean that Pacioretty shouldn’t get what he deserves. He and every other player who delivers a headshot should get an automatic 15 games, with additional penalties if intent to injure is obvious. That would get headshots out of the game real quick.

And if we really think that Shanahan cares at all about the success or failure of the Canadiens, we need to get over ourselves.

• Propwash says:

We as hockey fans in general were under the impression that Shanny was going to call headshots evenly throughout the board. Clearly that has not happened

_____________________________
      Being negative has its advantages,
      you’re never disappointed.

• LA Loyalist says:

When the season started I mentally gave Shanahan through American Thanksgiving (just ended) or maybe Christmas on his enforcement to have a sufficient sample size of incidents and rulings to make it statistically valid.

Well, the time has passed, and we still have inconsistent and sometimes incomprehensible rulings.

I truly throw up my hands.

Does someone have to freaking die?

Who gets the short straw? Because, I assure you it is inevitable.

I love hard hitting clean hockey, I don’t want euro-hockey. But I also want to minimize head injuries.

It’s not fair to anyone, the fans, the players… to have a policy that is as clear as mud.

• Propwash says:

Exactly. A headshot is a headshot, no matter how it is sugarcoated. I was mad yesterday that MaxPac got the banhammer swung in his direction, but after sleeping on it, it was the right call.
          It’s too bad the right call is not made on a constant basis.

_____________________________
          Being negative has its advantages,
          you’re never disappointed.

Isn’t your start to Paragraph 3, moaning? Yes I understand the league giving MPac a suspension, but the fact no suspension to Malone/Chara is exactly the reason people are complaining. I prefer not to call it whining.

68. DorvalTony says:

Cammy and Gio both are trade bait at this rate.

• karatekid says:

Gio is saved by the C.

PuckBandits

• habsolutely416 says:

well im glad people are starting to talk about cammy and his value with this team. i have been saying for about 2 seasons now (and im sure there are others too) that he really hasnt worked out with the habs. seems like a great guy but we have enough small forwards and he might be able to fetch a decent return. hes often injured and is very streaky. maybe the calgary flames would be interested taking him back. he put up some good numbers there before and it seemed like a good fit for him.

ill be in the slot ;)

69. Maksimir says:

Hell – I’d take Teemu Selanne for Cammy right now… even if we lose him at the end of the season..

70. arcosenate says:

Lucky 800 let’s hope.

How about Bobby Ryan for Mike Cammalleri straight up?

71. PureGuava says:

He’ll be on a line with Nokia and Darche, and won’t play more than 6 minutes.

72. Hobie Hansen says:

Desharnais would be more than OK on a lot of teams but when your other two top centermen are also under 6′ tall, it;s a problem…