Leaving Habs was ‘family decision’ for Brisebois

Patrice Brisebois, who left his job as a player-development coach with the Canadiens last week, spoke with The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs Tuesday evening to explain his decision, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family – wife Michèle and preteen daughters Alexandra and Patricia-Rose (photo above).

“For sure, it was a big decision (to leave) and I’m fine with it, very comfortable with it,” Brisebois told Stubbs. “I think I made the right choice. It was a family decision.

“I really enjoyed my two years (as a player-development coach). I’ll always be proud to work for the Montreal Canadiens and as an ex-hockey player, it’s always something special to work for the Canadiens.

“I learned a lot the last two years and I think I’m a better hockey man now.”

Brisebois added about the young Canadiens prospects he worked with: “I always told my kids, ‘Talent isn’t enough. If you want to make it, it’s the work ethic.’ They all know that and they’re all working hard.”

And Brisebois scoffed at those who say he quit the Canadiens when he wasn’t hired to replace assistant coach Gerard Gallant, who is now head coach of the Florida Panthers.

“No, no, no,” Brisebois told Stubbs. “I’m so happy for Gerard, he really deserves his new job. He’s a great coach and a great guy. And his job in Montreal was more with the forwards and the power play. J.J. (Daigneault) has the defence. When I hear people say I left because I didn’t get Gerard’s job, I just say, ‘Holy cow, it’s not for that reason.’”

(Photo by Bob Fisher)

Leaving Habs was ‘big decision’ for Brisebois, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

1. Forum Dog says:

(Sorry folks – I accidently posted this in a reply below, but have requested a delete)

RE: the Subban contract:

One thing that we tend to forget in this debate is the last contract PK signed. He went from EL to a RFA contract that paid him $2.875M for his 23-24 age years.

Doughty went straight from EL to an average cap hit of $7M;

Karlsson went straight from EL to an average cap hit of $6.5M;

Weber is the closest to PK in terms of the way his contracts played out, and he went from EL to $4.5M, to $7.5M, to $7.875M

If you don’t think that PK is going to factor that $2-4M difference into his mathematics, I think you are mistaken. From a player and agent perspective, those are earning years, during which he won the Norris and took his team to the Conference Finals. Had MTL gone from EL contract to long-term, they probably could have had him for around $7M. They didn’t though, and now PK holds the cards.

If they go to Arbitration, he’ll get a one year at Weber-type money, and then become a UFA. As a fan of the Canadiens, I do not want to see that happen.

• krob1000 says:

Doughty led his team to a cup to get his deal…Karlsson won the Norris…taht kind of sped up the process!

• Maritime Ronn says:

All correct, yet all of those names mentioned signed under the old CBA, where length of contact was not a factor and the late throw away years were irrelevant.

Also to note, Subban’s Norris was a 48 game one, where most hockey writers – the actual voters, never saw him play because of no Inter-Conference games.

Last season, he wasn’t even considered close to a Top 10 NHL Dman in the Norris voting, and may have been a ‘political’ pick for Team Canada at the Olympics…

2. Stimpy007 says:

Eller just signed for 4 yrs.

3. Prop says:

4 years /14 mil per Dave Stubbs.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Forum Dog says:

Wow, that is a lot more term than I expected. Good stuff! Obviously MB sees a bright future for Eller. I think we’ll see a confident and motivated #81 in 2014-15.

4. shiram says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva

4 year contract for Lars Eller. 3.5M$ AAV #canadiens #tvasports

this is weird??

5. shiram says:

I like the term, now the cap hit please!

Bergevin :
    “We are very pleased to have agreed upon a long term agreement with Lars Eller. He is an important part of our group of young veterans. He has a tremendous work ethic and a great attitude. He is the type of player you can rely on for his play at both ends of the rink. Lars can play big minutes against the opponents’ top players and still be an offensive threat. We are confident he will reach his full potential and become an impact player who will compete at a high level for many years to come”,

• icemachine says:

14M is what I’m seeing so 3.5M AAV

“I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.”

6. bel33 says:

@CanadiensMTL just tweeted that Lars has signed for 4 years!

Sorry if I’m late to the party… just got out of a meeting.

7. Pucknut says:

4 years for Eller

8. Max_a_million says:

To: Un Canadien errant

jerome iginila’s bonus last year was characterized by the Boston media as ‘can he show up and put on a pair of skates bonus’.

@twilight: I am HIO’s very own weather vane. Except for when Tank™ Force winds blast forth.

10. Kooch7800 says:

Does anyone know off hand when the Habs regular season tickets go on sale?

11. PrimeTime says:

Good work today, Krob!! The PK contract is a big business investment and he needs to be done right. PK fans will say pay him the limit because of their affection for him as a Hab. But it is MB’s job to negotiate a fair and equitable deal in relation to the marketplace. Business owners and Corporate shareholders always think their business is worth more than the market I.e. Future growth when they receive offers to sell. MB is the Buyer and PK is the Seller. I hope the right deal is made but if not, MB has to be prepared to stand pat and not over-commit to the detriment of his organization. PK is worth the price he can afford – no more and no less. If another team wants to over invest, and we know there are teams that will, that’s their problem. PK is not the franchise but could and should be an important asset. Sometimes, lol, fans get a bit too attached and emotional.

• habcertain says:

Every team that has stars, overachievers, overpay to get them, you don’t overpay, they don’t play for your team, if they don’t play for your team you don’t win Cups. Molson is loaded, the Habs don’ t lack funds, good GMs know who to manipulate the cap, when to pay players, when to dump players. This is part of the game, you don’t let players like PK walk because you don’t want to overpay, every elite team will overpay to get PK. Look at the Hawks, they are over payroll, but are figuring ways to get around the issues and compete for the cup.

Why should PK make more than Shea Weber (7.9M for 14 years) or Ryan Suter (7.5M for 13 years), arguably the two best D in the NHL and currently two of the best paid?

Who wouldn’t trade PK straight up for either of those two? I can tell you who. David Poile or Chuck Fletcher.

• Grimmly says:

Cap is higher now is why, and it will continue to grow and more and more will make more then Weber and Suter

• krob1000 says:

so then any increase in the cap goes only to the top players? that is a recipe for disaster.

• Grimmly says:

What? The Cap going up increases everyone’s contract that is due that year, Weber did a HUGE mistake signing for 1 years because in 5 years he will be at a salary that is in the middle of the pact with how the cap is forecasting to go up

• krob1000 says:

OK…so what did the cap go up this year? how many million? 2 ish? so why does PK all of the sudden become the highest paid dman in hockey because the cap went up less than 2 million dollars per TEAM?

• Luke says:

It went up 7-ish million. 62/63 to 69/70.

The Players Association also voted to not increase it to the max increase allowable.

Luke we are both wrong…cap went up 4.7 million

• habcertain says:

Tell that to the Hawks, no disaster there.

• Kooch7800 says:

PK may make around 8 mill but if he is going to get 10 million I would be looking to trade him ASAP.

I like PK but he has a lot of room for improvement.

• Grimmly says:

You just proved that he has not hit his ceiling for skill and that what hes going to get on a long term contract, what he will become, and we all know he is almost there

• Kooch7800 says:

the only issue with your statement is PK has the tools to progress but an argument can be made over the last three seasons that he isn’t necessarily any better than he was when he broke in

• HardHabits says:

Nothing has proven PK’s ceiling. NOTHING. Certainly not Kooch’s statement. That’s your hopeful imagination working overtime.

If anything I’d prefer the Habs get 4 1st round picks than sign PK for 10 million per year. 8 million max and that is 500k too much.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Term. Look at what Weber is making this year, 14 mill or something? You really can only compare contracts made under the same collective bargaining agreement, and as a % of their cap hit. Comparing any other way is apples/oranges

• Cal says:

Shea Weber has made $14mil/season from 2012/13 onward to July 2016.
      Then his salary drops to $12mil to 2018. Then, it’s 4 years @ $6mil.
      So, um, PK will not make as much as that.
      EDIT- His cap hit is an outright lie.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Suter is not better than PK. Even if he was a little bit better: Suter is 29, Subban is 25…

13. habstrinifan says:

Hilarious the vagaries we are now seeing as arbitration nears. Early in the summer season almost everyone reclined with rose coloured glasses and opined that the contracts would be settled cause that’s how HABS do things … nobly, fairly, without rancor, all that great surrealistic ‘calm’ goodness that the HABS are imbued with… the stupor of the chosen.

And now that we are nearing the unbecoming arbitration process without resolution, the posts are increasing in their virulence against the players and posters are now listing hitherto unfound and mostly unfounded critical recollection.

Mr arbitrator my argument is that he fell down a lot.

I share those who hope and would consider it propitious for our short term future if P.K signs for 7.5 ( a great figure in my opinion).

But I refuse to join the castigators who would pelt him into it.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• krob1000 says:

7.8 is the highest cap hit for a dman in the NHL…and that was a forced situation in Weber. Does Subban deserve to make more than Drew Doughty @ 7m? I personally do not belive so. Erik Karlsson @ 6.5? I think he is on par there. I just do not see how they can give Subban any more than 7.5.

The 5th highest paid dman in the NHL is Drew Dougthty @ 7 million.

Not trying to insult PK ..just saying he seems to get free passes on here and people thinkhe is the greatest player in the game. He is great…but he is not even teh best dman in Canada let alonet he NHL, he wasn;t even used as teh number 1 damn on the HAbs….he likely will be htis year but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Everyone saying open the wallet give him what he wants,etc is being naive to the implications of contracts under the cap.

• HardHabits says:

I make the same point above. I gather we’re on the same team for this debate. ;-)

• Loop_Garoo says:

That contract was signed several years ago and was the benchmark at the time, now, PK will be the new benchmark, and I think the chance of him signing at anything less than the highest defensive cap hit in the league are 0.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with you on this. 7.5 is more than enough on a long term deal. One major problem is though….Don Meehan

• New says:

Fans live in a fantasy world and take affront to any perceived slight to their favorite. Very seldom does anyone of us ever present anything close to objective reasoning. Souray, Theodore, Huet, Halak, to name just a few of the many departed Canadiens whose potential loss or contract situation caused angst.

14. shiram says:

The Subban #1 vs Markov #1 reminds me of the Plekanec #1 vs DD #1.

DD is said to be the number one, but plays less minutes, and does not get to play penalty kill.
    Subban is usually regarded as the #1, but plays very slightly less, and does not play the penalty kill.

But in the end it’s a matter of opinion and perspective, different people have different opinions of what constitutes a #1 at each position.

15. Un Canadien errant says:

The very nebulous rumours of Patrice Brisebois wanting to coach in the LHJMQ are taking shape I see. He said he resigned from his position with the Canadiens partly because he wanted to coach, and couldn’t see an opportunity with the Canadiens. Jean-Jacques Daigneault with le Grand Club, Donald Dufresne with the Bulldogs are in charge of the defencemen, so there are no openings for him that way.

Good for him if that’s what he does, goes into the trenches and learns how to coach young men. Running practices, leading a team, bench strategy, knowing when to push, when to ease off, balancing the need to win vs. the need to develop players, there are so many facets to being a coach, I definitely don’t think it’s simple, and usually am loath to criticize a head coach. I definitely don’t think it’s an easy gig, that I could do what they do.

Generally, it would be an encouraging step if another young recently-retired former NHL’er got into the coaching game. Two high-profile guys who we got to know on RDS, Joël Bouchard and Denis Gauthier, have cut back on their TV commitments to assume roles on LHJMQ teams.

Joël Bouchard was an assistant coach with the Armada as well as part-owner, and ran a hockey school on the side in the summer, and had video ‘capsules’ on RDS breaking down skill development and strategy on RDS. Eventually he spent less time in front of the camera and more with the kids, becoming the General Manager of the team. He’s a really bright guy, well-spoken and has a magnetic personality. His career path seems to lead to the NHL in short order.

Denis Gauthier was a tough, defensively-oriented defenceman who was drafted in the first-round by the Flames in ’95. He retired relatively young from the game, and being telegenic and well-spoken, landed a gig as a talking head on RDS. He’s also in the coaching game, being the defencemen coach for the Voltigeurs de Drummondville, and also finding time to coach his son’s Pee Wee team.

I’ve talked about this in the past, how the Canadiens need a strong, thriving hockey scene in Québec, and should do everything they can to support it. Their farm team in Hamilton should be staffed by the brightest young minds from the LHJMQ, and even the team in Wheeling in the ECHL should be a training ground for young coaches who can one day land in the NHL. Stocking the pond with a lot of candidates will only give the team more options when hiring decisions are made.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

Great post by krob. Yes Markov was #1 and Subban was #2. Yes Kane and Toews have not one but TWO Stanley Cup rings each. Seriously threw new light on what I thought was a reasonable contract for Subban.

So tell me krob what do you think is reasonable? Price money at 6.5 million??? There would have to be fantabulous bonuses attached. And I am all for that kind of contract.

Can’t say it would be good for the room for Subban to get sky in the pie money when Price, Pacioretty and Markov are in for reasonable term.

I suggested 8.8M for 8 years yesterday… and after korb’s (yes I can typo too) comment, I am way retracting that amount. I doubt it will be as low as 6.5… but I dare say it should not exceed 7.5 either.

Kane and Toews’ contracts are obscene by NHL standards. It makes me think the LA Kings will prove to be the dynasty of this era and not the Hawks.

• twilighthours says:

You’re easily swayed.

• veryhabby says:

HH…one thing about when you compare salaries, I think it’s important to look at the position the players play. I think it’s hard to compare what Price makes to what PK may make due to them playing diff positions. Is Price one of the top goalies? Is he paid as one? That’s what Price probably looks at. Is PK a top 10 dman in the league? Should he be paid as one? If answer is yes, and the top 5 goalies make less then the top 5 dman….Price, or others in the room, I think/hope get that.

Also the time the contracts are signed have a lot to do with it. You know the cap will be going up, you know that if you want to sign a young player into their UFA years….it’s a different contract then signing an aging vet who maybe is making less, but really is getting personally paid more then he should (i.e. extra year). People will always get jealous, players too I am sure. But if they think it through that only thing PK should be compared to is what the market is for a top Norris winning Dman.

I would love to see him sign at 7.5-7.75M cap hit. Something like, $5M, $6M, $7.5M, $8M, $8.5, $9, $9, $9. Like honestly how can PK say he is worth more then that?

• Cal says:

PK is the new face of the NHL. He also is the only player (since Lafleur) that can bring fans out of their seats during a rush. Is he perfect? Is anyone? He will get the big bucks and the longest term possible.

• krob1000 says:

New face of the NHL? Being a Montreal Canadiens contributes as much to PK’s popularity as PK does. IF Pk played in Florida noone would even know who he is. BEing a Canadien and being inovolved in two good playoff runs did a lot for his exposure…but to call him the face of the NHL? Have you heard the crowds in other sities? they aren’t exactly cheering for PK.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Whether they cheer for him or not is irrelevant as far as the NHL or being the “face of the NHL ” is concerned. He is noticed, and boos say as much as cheers when it comes to understanding what he brings to the league and to the team.

• Cal says:

They’d all love to have him on their side. That booing is a sign of envy. PK envy.

• krob1000 says:

Not denying he isacknowledged but he is far from the new face of the nhl.

• DipsyDoodler says:

A few points.

1. Bonuses are part of the cap hit. It makes no sense to say that a salary is $6M plus $4M in bonus money. That’s a $10M salary. The only benefit of bonuses to the player is they’re paid upfront.

2. Remember that player’s salaries go down if league profits go down. So the Hawks are insured in a way. If for unforeseen reasons the salary cap goes down in the future, so does their financial outlay. They won’t lose money. (Can’t lose money really.)

3. I think Kane and Toews’ salaries are predicated on a roughly $75-80M average cap. $10.5M with a $80M cap is equivalent to $8M with a $63M cap – so not outlandish. Certainly not obscene. The Daves, Bolland and Clarkson, have obscene salaries.

4. The Hawks can’t become the Kings. They have to start from where they are. In any case, I think a team with Kane, Toews, Keith and spare parts will always challenge (until the players get older of course).

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• krob1000 says:

I thought bonuses were carried forward if they were hit and paid the following year….I am not realy sure but I thoguth that was the Iginla thing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s something a team can do if their bonuses they have to award put them over the cap in a given season, they can carry over to the next season in those cases, like the Bruins with Jarome Iginla. So the Bruins were over the cap this year, they cheated again, but will only feel the pain next season, when they have to decrease the cap ceiling they have available by this amount. Of course, Jeremy Jacobs will cheat his way out of that too, and Zdeno Chara will crosscheck someone in the face but Mike Milbury and Don Cherry will say it’s no big deal. Gary Bettman will be otherwise engaged making ice in Mexico City and Rio de Janeiro.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Performance bonuses are treated as you say. “signing” bonus paid at the beginning of each year is treated as salary during that year.

• HardHabits says:

1. I am talking about bonuses based on performance not up front. So if Subban gets the Norris add a million. If he gets X amount of points in the regular season add 500K. If he gets the Conn Smythe Trophy add 2 million. Those type of bonuses.

2. Still. The Hawks are looking like the Penguins. Too much money tied up in too few players.

3. I stand by my statement. Obscene by NHL standards, certainly given the current cap.

4. My point is this. The Kings look like a lock for at least another Cup in the next 5 years. The Hawks not so much. Oh they’ll contend, but they look more like they’ll regress and become just another foot note, especially given the strength of the other teams in the West.

• Un Canadien errant says:

1. I think those kinds of massive performance bonuses are a thing of the past with the new CBA. The amounts involved are much more modest. Only in the case of veterans can there be such significant bonuses, the players got the owners to concede on that, so that the ‘over-35′ contract crowd didn’t get squeezed down to minimum salaries. If they perform, they get paid, as Jarome did last season.

• Un Canadien errant says:

1. Signing bonuses matter to players and agents because they’re ‘buyout proof’. If you get bought out, you get 2/3 of your salary, but 100% of your bonuses. David Clarkson’s contract is almost all bonus, so the Leafs can’t really buy him out, they won’t save any money or reduce their cap hit.

Further, if ever a player is suspended or expelled from the league for off-field conduct, a signing bonus is still payable. The player did his part, he signed the contract, so the team owes him the bonus that comes as a result. Aaron Hernandez is in jail indicted for three murders, he won’t collect on most of the contract he just signed for the Patriots, because he won’t be able to play for them, he’ll be, uh, detained elsewhere, but his lawyers are going to make sure he gets his signing bonus. So Bill Belichick isn’t a genius always.

• shandrew says:

Anyone who thinks that PK would take anything but 8+million for 7 or 8 years is delusional…the Rangers or Leafs or 27 other teams would pay that money in a heartbeat and so should the Canadiens. Why would PK take a lower base salary and try to make it up with bonuses when he can do better? Remember, this is a business, as our own Mr. Bergevin proved a couple of years ago when he played hardball and stuck to his guns on a 2 year bridge contract. The Canadiens won a short term victory, and now it’s PK’s turn.

• krob1000 says:

In an ideal world I have always said Price money and not have anyone make more than Price that would be best for the room, the team…but Subban’s management group is the most powerful in the sport….they will fight for every penny…it is a tough situation. Given the idea the cap is to go up…I think it is fair for him to slightly exceed Price if there is truth to that… I think 7 is reasonable..and maybe 7.5 but that being said Chicago has asmart organization..so wehn I saw those contracts it made me wonder what they know about the cap that we don’t? That is the wildcard…based on him being comparable to Markov, other Montreal contracts I think 6.5 ideal and 7.5 is the max….but those two Chi contracts scare the bejeebers out of me…and make me wonder if there isn’t something to rumours the HAbs were kicking tires on Letang or someone because maybe Subban is asking for similar money?

17. habs001 says:

During the Olympics there were so many posters on this site who could not believe that PK did not play regularly on the team…Some even wanted Canada to lose because of this…PK last year had struggles in his zone..not sure why(maybe his bulking up did not help)…he fell down a lot and frankly was better in previous years in his zone…Hopefully he improves his D zone game this year

18. Luke says:

To the David Lynch, Twin Peak fans who were chatting away the other day:

“90 minutes of deleted scenes! One of television’s best, and one of my favorite shows ever finally gets the awesome package it deserves with Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery. You can get it for $89 today five days out of release, compared to $120+ elsewhere. Use code SHIPFREE. [Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery]“

19. Walmyr says:

Hello people…
    Nice read about Bozon’s return to ice…Go kid!

CHeers

20. mfDx says:

After reading how Parenteau, Malholtra, Wiese were such big Habs fans as kids, and seing how Wiese upped his game after the trade deadline vs Vanek, I would suggest that MB may want to consider a player’s childhood dreams at the 2015 trade deadline.
    Wiese’ exhuberance fuel his new teammates for the stretch drive earned him an extended stay in Mtl.
    Vanek, on the other hand, made no effort to hide his nonchalance. Was it a mitigating factor during the Rangers series? An added downer?
    Should the GM seek out grinders who would love to wear the CH at the trade deadline over snipers who have their tee times booked by March?

Sent from my CHphone

21. Maritime Ronn says:

Re Brisebois.

Let’s see what happens, yet it’s hard to believe that a 43 year old man with a lot of hockey experience will go into idle mode and bake cookies and dust furniture all day…

Some chatter out there that Patrice Brisebois may be the next coach of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada of the “Q”.

Seems like the present head coach is moving on the to ECHL, and 1 of the owners (Joel Bouchard) is a good buddie.
    He along with Daniel Brière, Jean-Sébastien Giguère and Ian Laperrière own 30% of the team.

Quebecor owns 70% and that may be another reason.
    Brisebois seemed to like the camera and Quebecor owns TVA (subcontractor for the NHL Rogers deal) , Sun Media, Videotron….

• bwoar says:

Not sure why retiring from a busy, travelling life to spend time with one’s children would be characterized as “go into idle mode and bake cookies and dust furniture all day” – I think you must not have had any children, right?

Now, I’m no where near the high-powered hockey mind that the Breezer is. But if I could walk away from the 9 hr days and 2h daily commute, to spend my time with my little ones during their youngest years before they grow too old to want to hang with Dad, I’d do it and laugh.

All this tin-foil talk about what he’s “really” going to do next is truly bizarre to me. It ignores the obvious, and I think PB’s comments address it pretty clearly. We gotta be *really* bored to even go there, no?

• twilighthours says:

Yup.

• mdp2011 says:

So when his daughters are in school from September to June, what the heck is he going to do all day? That is where the “go into idle mode and bake cookies and dust furniture all day” comes into play.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi bwoar

First of all, he doesn’t have “Little Ones” – that picture was old.

According to a Stubbs’ article 2 years ago, his children were aged 12 and 9 back then…which would mean they are 14 and 11 today.

As for you wanting to know if I have children – I have 3 in their very young 30’s, and all are healthy (Thank God) and successful.

The point that was trying to be made was that a young 43 year old man who appears smart and intelligent (not the same) and that has much to offer, would be wasting his time doing nothing and being idle.

If you have children of teenage years, you would know quite well all they want is to know that they are absolutely and unconditionally loved and appreciated… along with Mom and Dad actually being there when needed, and showing genuine interest in their lives and activities
        For younger single digit aged children, it’s a whole other scenario.

I hope that clarifies the post and things.

• bwoar says:

Thanks Ronn, I get more how your first post was intended. With PB’s kids being a bit older I see how much less of a daily handful they’d be, but as you point out they still want to have parents that are part of their lives.

I still think there’s an argument that as a dad he wants to be part of their lives more than he’d been previously – his lifestyle to date hasn’t exactly kept him close to home; it could be that he’s feeling a bit out of touch, it would easily explain his sudden departure from the Habs, a bit more plausibly than it being a cover story for taking a hockey job elsewhere.

Again, thanks for clarifying. May all of our children stay healthy and happy!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hey Bw
            Always a pleasure to exchange with dignity and respect
            You’re a good guy

• Luke says:

A friend retired at 40 (he and I made some different choices in our late teens) and has spent the last few years rebuilding cars and hanging out with his kids at the cottage.

The goof doesn’t even realize what he’s missing!

22. Luke says:

“When I hear people say I left because I didn’t get Gerard’s job, I just say, ‘Holy cow, it’s not for that reason.’”

Have they hired a replacement for Gerard?

‘Cuz if they did… Fwwoooooooooosh…. (That’s sound of that announcement going right past me.)

23. mfDx says:

Tokarski, Pateryn + 2nd round pick for Kane.
    Would you?

Sent via Vulcan mind meld

24. twilighthours says:

Krob, what’s gotten into you? You’re talking crank!!

• krob1000 says:

I am just saying what management will say…when you look at the facts Subban had a rollercoaster of as season….people forgive his inconsistecy because of his playoff but when discussing Eller his inconsistnecy is the issue? the same people think Subban should get the upper limit and be the highest paid player of his type and Eller should be short changed relative to his peer group? it just seems so odd to me.

Subban was minus 14 from Jan -April
      What many perceive as his worst stretch was actually from NOv-mid Jan where he wasn’t even put on the ice late in games the team had a lead in quite often, he was benched in January against Philly for the third when trailing, he was benched late in games because coach did not trust him. Statistically…this isn’t me taklking crank…this is for those stats nuts who use them against Eller b or even Pleks but not against Subban…say that Markov outplayed Subban last year.

Subban is a RFA and Markov a UFA…who gets more usually? so what makes Subban worth 3 milion more than Markov? I am dead serious…I see no reason unless the team knows the cap is set to soar into the stratosphere that he should get the numbers mentioned on here.

Why does noone remember Subban’s season? He was not consistent …was typical of a young kid…like another young kid who everyone hates but whose situation wasn’t all that differnt/….rollercoaster season. While PK and Eller were bing benched…I was livid…but why people use one’s usage against him and for the other guy pretend it never happened? that bothers me.

Both proved to be effective when it mattered…but Subban did not have a great season….Markov had a better overall. The shortened season…Subban wins the Norris…so from here on in he is a “norris winner”….Eller was among the top scorers on the team and may have actaully been the teams best forward that year…but for him that year never happened? IS noone seriously able to see this stuff?

• twilighthours says:

Subban has had two so-so months in an otherwise top-caliber career.

Eller has had one great stretch and two good stretches in an otherwise middling career.

That’s probably why some people want to open the bank for Subban and hold off for Eller.

Are you seriously not able to see this stuff?

• krob1000 says:

Which two months ?from Nov-mid Jan where he was repeatedly benched and couldn’ t be put on the ice late in games adn was often benched? or was it from Jan-end of season where he was minus 14 and was hero or goat several times? To me that is 3 quarters of the season that was rocky…hmm same time frame as Eller. Subban was tems best dman for shortened season and Eller was teams best forward for shortened season(arguably…Pleks was better). They both stepped it up for theis years playoffs. So to sum things up….because you still are not seeing it….the timelines pretty well are identical .

lockout season-Eller teams 2nd best forward, Subban teams best dman
          first quarter 20113-14…Eller and Subban both player to their potentials

From mid Nov-end of season-Neither played well or was consistent. Eller stunk and SUbban was not much better(relative to his ability and what he is asking) minus 14 from Jan-April, benched repeatedly from Nov-Jan and played nowhere near to his ability.

Playoffs…..Eller best forward, Subban best dman ..both played to their potential again

• Luke says:

Subban stunk but still wound up 6th in scoring for all defensmen,
            Eller stunk but still wound up 80th in scoring for all centres.

Why can’t anyone see the similarity!!

• krob1000 says:

Luke if that is how you see this conversation?…as a points thing?…you are missing the point. Subban has been erratic…as erratic as Eller relative to their abilities… over the same time frame. Over the last two seasons for whatever reason both have struggled and excelled over the same stretches…kind of strange actually and not something I noticed until this conversation today.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Subban at his worst is still a dynamic and dangerous superstar in the league. His value to a team is in his on ice performance, as well as his value in marketing and selling merchandise.

• Luke says:

@Krob,
            No not as only a points thing. But certainly you have to see it is more than a ‘both have inconsistencies’ thing.

@Loop,
            I absolutely agree. That was the point I was trying to make, but you stated it much better.

• Chris says:

I thought we all agreed that Douglas Murray wasn’t coming back?! ;)

25. habstrinifan says:

John Bellyful is an outstanding thinker, innovator, and often a high level delineator of hockey ingenuity.

However I suddenly had this epiphany. Or maybe it was gas and I think I have surpassed the esteemed Mr. Bellyful.

How to solve all these fretful contract issues so that we can move on to enjoying our summers. Of course we could do as the Laffs and toss money willy nilly but ….

My answer.
    Players should be able to make offer sheets to ONE TEAM when they become RFA. Only qualification is that the players salary demand cannot exceed the 3rd best salary in the league for that position. The player’s current team can then either match or receive a set level of compensation.

Brilliant eh!

Imagine the urgency in any contract negotiation; in scrambling to find cap room if a player so much as wink at a GM in an opposition rink. It could affect the draft big time. First question to any junior prospect. What’s your favourite team?

And if you think a player like P.K is booed in opposing rinks. Think of how ugly it could get when the team’s brass put out the word. Give this player sh***t. Show him he wont be welcomed here.Think of the robot calls from fans telling the player to either f-off (don’t even think about it) or promising free strip club tickets and baskets of grandma’s cookies.

As I said brilliant!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

26. shiram says:

1. Who plays more games with the Habs this next season :
    Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn?

2. Who gets more goals : Gallagher, Galchenyuk?

3. Who gets more assists, DD, Subban, Markov?

4.Does Bourque crack 25 points?( he has not since the 10/11 season, though there were injuries)

5.Who gets more gets more ES strength goals, Eller, DD or Plekanec?

27. krob1000 says:

Who led the Candiens in blocked shots last year? I was surprised to read it was actually Andrei Markov and not Josh Gorges.

So let us look at Markov last season…
    He got 43 points, was plus 12 and blocked 180 shots and played 25:14 per game…he is established , a vet and the most consistent player the Habs have had over the last decade on the back end.

Let us now look at PK
    He got 53 points , was minus 4, blocked 125 shots and played 24:37 per game….PK had some very bad stretches and some very good ones…he stepped it up in the playoffs.

Why is Subban worth 3 million more than Markov? Markov was the better dman statistically last year…in fact Markov was a UFA and not a RFA and easily could have got more on the open market…somewhere around 7 for certain.
    How will it be percevied if Subban gets tons of money based on “potential”….especially when the argument seems to be Eller is only potential up front and that hearing happens first?

Given the contract Markov signed….and what other dmen like Subban make I think that if he wants to be some kind of trend setter(not really PK I mean his agent group) and get huge money because Kane and Toews did (who have multiple cup rings to back their contracts) then I think MB will play hardball.

The more I look at what Markov made and what he did relative to Pk the more I think PK should be content with a lot less than the numbers bandied about on here. I have always thought it would be great if he would take Price money at 6.5 and that that be the bar (doesn’t seem possible anymore though)…but many on here and in the media,etc believe he deserves way more than I think his career thus far justifies.

The Habs are set up pretty well because their star players are not looking to be the upper limit of their peer group salary wise…Patches is a bargain, Markov is a bargain, Pleks, Price,Dd is a bargain (yes I will admit that). I will also note Gorges was near the top of his relative peer group and he is no longer around. None of these guys are starving but all are pretty well off and if everyone maintains the Detroit- like philosphy where nobody made more than Lidstrom. then it can lead to multiple years of success….if one guy…like Subban goes and signs for the moon and the stars it impacts not only the cap situation in his dollars but it lays the groundwork for guys like Chucky, Gallgaher, etc down the road and makes for a never ending battle with the cap.

MB is trying to establish that bridge contracts will happen in Montreal, he is trying to create a team first culture where players who want to be there will be there and players who just want to max out their individual worth might be better served playing elsewhere. I really hope Subban camp does not try to gouge MB because I think MB will stand his ground within reason….I am not privy to what “within reason” is because we don’t have the cap info moving forward but MB will not overpay IMO. I trust his decisions fully but when assessing PK and Eller everyone seems to think it ok to not assess Eller future potential but we say PK is better than Markov because of his future potential…because last year? Markov was the teams best dman if you look at the season as a whole…and he is signed very reasonably accordingly.

• shiram says:

Groges would have had more if he had played a similar number of games as Markov.
      Markov is also an over 35 years old contract, and you have to figure it cuts the cap hit some.

• krob1000 says:

That is easily offset by UFA vs RFA and cosnistency. We know what we have in Markov…do we have the Norris rophy PK or do we have the guy who was the teams least effective d for nearly 6 weeks? Do we have the sutd who played in the playoffs or do we have the guy who gets talked to repeatedly and sees the occasional game from the pressbox .

• fastfreddy says:

PK on one skate is better than Markov, you’re dreaming my friend.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• fastfreddy says:

Something tells me that in this new contract PK will sign there will be NO amount of games viewed from the press box. I doubt MT is that stupid.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Luke says:

When did PK see the “occasional game from the pressbox”?

• Forum Dog says:

I like your post, but the team’s least effective D for six weeks? This is a roster that had Gorges, Bouillion, Murray, and others on it last year. A slumping PK is still head and shoulders above any of those guys.

PK was still MTL’s highest scoring D-man, played the most minutes, and was easily their best player in the playoffs. And he’s 24-25 years old. Guys like that are “franchise” players, and are the ones who get the big contracts. Price is the best in-house comparable, and if he got $6.5 before the lockout, it should not be surprising that PK will go for something close to $8M now.

I hope MB can keep things reasonable, because the fastest way to destroy a team is through cap-busting contracts. That and you need to ensure everyone is pulling together, something I hope PK recognizes. He needs to look at Price as an example here.

• Luke says:

Hyperbole rules the summer at HI/O!

• krob1000 says:

From Jan to end of Season Subban was MINUS 14.

• krob1000 says:

Re the playoffs I agree completely…same argument can be made for Eller. I am just spinning things how I see management looking at it. Fans tend to really ovrerrate offesne and flash and or the event things like blocked shots….guys like Markov, Pleks and even guys like Gio when he was here Eller are gusy who do so many little things that aren’t categorized statistically but help teams. Defesnive positioning, quick passing and forward puck movement, getting in lanes, backpressure adn puck retrieval, stick in lanes,etc,etc

• Forum Dog says:

@krob – That is what I liked about your original post. Markov is yin to PK’s yang, and PK needs to recognize that it takes a balanced, deep roster to win a Stanley Cup. If all the dollars and minutes go to one guy, if the play always runs through one guy, they will have a very hard time winning it all.

Pittsburgh won when they had a deep, deep roster filled with cap-friendly contracts. Before Letang’s $7.5M, and when Crosby, Malkin and Staal were on EL contracts. Ditto for Chicago, who has won with Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook et al on reasonable contracts.

LA may be the best example of a team that has managed big contracts and still won, but even there the top salary is $7M. PK will try and force MB’s hand, but if he wants to stay in MTL, he may have to come down a bit. $8-8.5M has to be the max, and even that could hamper the team’s ability to keep other good players around.

• fastfreddy says:

You seriously feel Markov is better than PK.? You would take Markov over PK.? WOW! I’ll give my money and trust on PK. anyday.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• krob1000 says:

Did I say that? I said last season Markov had a better season than Subban overall statistically …andhe did….there sure is not 3 million dollars difference between them as suggested on here. That was the point…it isn;t a Subban vs Markov in anything other than relative to the contract talk.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Why do people fall into either or?

Markov was the number one regular season defenceman for the Habs last year. Subban only came on at the end, and was having some serious hockey-sense issues early in the year.

Will Markov be number one this year? Not in Subban’s mind, but quite possibly on the ice. Subban is flashy, skilled but inclined to bad decisions. I can’t see him not becoming a superstar – the man has amazing talent. But he seems a bit behind his age in focus, and in his ability to line everything up and play as he can.
        Possibly, hopefully, the end of season/playoff push was a turning point. But last season, Markov performed better on defence.
        This season, I hope Markov is just as good, and that Subban works out his head and is better than the veteran. If both of them are going at once, that is going to be fun.

• Luke says:

6 of the top 10 players who led the league in Shot blocking were minuses. (The top three below the -10 mark).

Those 5 teams (NYI, CGY, WSH, TOR, NSH) that they played on didn’t make the playoffs.

You know what the advanced stats folks will say?

When you are blocking a lot of shots, you don’t have the puck.

• krob1000 says:

put it this way…PK played with Markov the first half of the season…his plus minus? was a heck of a lot better. What happend from Jan -April? MINUS 14…that is what happened.
        Markov put up nearly as many points as Subban…..Markov does it without flash but you atlk about an underappreciated guy?
        Markov goes underappreciated as a dman like Pleks does a forward….there is more to the game than the fancy plays. Markov is the teams rock and has been for a decade…when thepp ran through him? it was always near the top…now that Pk is the focal point? not so hot anymore. Don’t get me wrong I love PK, my son wears no 76 or 11…we have a signed Subban jersey…but if he gets outrageous with his demands…he is not above the team and MB will not allow his contract to hamper things moving forward.

• Luke says:

Not sure if this reply was meant for me, because it has nothing to do with my post, but if you think I over/under appreciate either Markov or PK you are wrong.

They are the Habs two best defensemen.

PK is better. Markov is more reliable.

• on2ndthought says:

Markov is smoother and smarter, Subban is a BEAST. Time was, opposing coaches would target Markov as our best player, now he is not our best D-man, whatever the statistics, advanced or traditional, say. Just ask Julien, or Scott, or Vigneault…. or Markov.

“a cannonading drive”

It’s over! Set in stone! No sense in debating the Hab’s roster any further boys and girls.
    The roster was finalized yesterday at a sit down luncheon meeting of 5 HIO members in Kingston Ont. The Cup is ours for sure next spring. If you wish to view this roster live, click onto the link below.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

29. SmartDog says:

I’ll be shocked if PK signs for less than $8.75/year.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habstrinifan says:

I think he will.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Kooch7800 says:

The ceiling I see PK at is 8.5/season at this point. With Meehan as the agent though you never know.

If it goes to arbitration though….7.5 per for 2 years

• Maritime Ronn says:

Player takes team to Arbitration
        Team decides term-either 1 year or 2.

There have been no reports that the Habs decided on a 2 year term.
        Therefore, if it actually ever goes to the Hearing, the Arbitrator can only give a 1 year decision

• Kooch7800 says:

Hi Ronn,

Thanks. I always thought the arbitrator chose the dollar amount and the team could opt for one or two years.

If the dollar amount is low I just assumed the habs would take two years so they would have a little more time to negotiate and extension.

Hopefully a long term deal is reached beforehand. Time will tell though

• Steeltown Hab says:

Those Toews Kane contracts really hurt MTLs case. Obv they’ve done more but there importance to their team is similar.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Ian Cobb says:

7 max Mr. Dog!
      Any more long term and he walks!

Probably closer to 6.

30. twilighthours says:

Beautiful family. Well done, Patrice. Enjoy the fruit of your labour.

31. Luke says:

A couple days ago Chris posted a quick little summary of some Space-related Big Science… Just stumbled across this:

Chandra X-Ray Observatory is 15 years old:

32. JohnBellyful says:

So, if Eller gets his $3.1 million, we’re all agreed it’s larseny?

33. Steeltown Hab says:

Dream line up:

Pacioretty – Eller – Paranteau
    Kane – Galchenyuk – Gallagher
    DLR/Bournival – Plekanec – Sekac
    Prust – Malholtra – Weise

Give up whatever it takes for Kane (Desharnais, Bourque, Bournival, McCarron, 1st, 2nd, etc.)

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

I love how this guy who probably follows the Habs casually thinks he has the right to state his opinion as fact when he says finesse isn’t Eller’s forte…..really because after Galchenyuk he has the best hands on the team.

Sometimes you see the confusion when he’s unsure whether to try things offensively or play like a straight grinder. That’s a coaching issue and non-stop role and linemates changing around him.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• habstrinifan says:

That struck me too. Eller often dangles too long using that finesse, which is especially noticeable when he is doing it in the defensive mode… keeping the puck and skating all over the ice.

Of course he needs ‘coaching’ but to say he doesn’t have finesse is wrong.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Steeltown Hab says:

Also our go-to in the shootout which is usually reserved for finesse. People read these things and take them for fact similar to how Subban has an attitude probably in the mainstream media meanwhile nothing indicates that if you follow the team closely.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• shiram says:

DD was the go to guy for shootouts actually, Eller was second, though Eller had a slightly better shooting % there.

Galchenyuk, was pretty bad with only one shootout goal in 6 tries.

• habstrinifan says:

“Puncture that and it might soon be up to another fan base to argue his merits.” Agreed … as I warned in a previous post.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

34. Maritime Ronn says:

Lots of conversation about Desharnais-Eller-Galchenyuk-Plex and who should be the top 2 centers going forward.

It may just be a simple question of ice time, and who gets the preferred Power Play/1st Unit Premium minutes with Subban and Markov on the points.

For the most part, the Habs centers last year played equal “Even Strength” minutes with Eller playing about 1 minute less than 51 and Plex.

The huge discrepancy was on the PP, where the Habs ranked a bottom half 19th in the NHL last year, and wasn’t very good in the playoffs.

Power Play time:
    Desharnais: 219 minutes/57 minutes in the playoffs
    Plekanec….: 157 minutes/34 minutes in the playoffs
    Eller…………: 85 minutes/ 8 minutes in the playoffs
    Galchenyuk..: 132 minutes (mostly on the wing)/6 minutes

There is no doubt that Desharnais has a very good hockey IQ and possesses wonderful vision, yet on the PP he becomes almost a non-factor (side boards) as he has little to no net presence or strength to win more puck battles than he loses.
    There is no opponent fear, because of the 1 dimension passer on the PP

The solution isn’t difficult.
    More Galchenyuk and Eller on the PP, and less Desharnais.

Some may argue that Galchenyuk is not a good faceoff man.
    Put in perspective, Eller was at 53% last season and Desharnais was at 50% – meaning they win one, then they lose 1.

I would settle for an extra faceoff lost here and there, and watch Galchenyuk magic with his speed, size, quickness, and ability to go to the net.

• Steeltown Hab says:

It’s histerical how little we utilize Galchenyuk’s skill and Ellers puck retrieval and board work on the PP.

Our first unit was atrocious last year, MT refuses to try anything new.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• B says:

Didn’t Desharnais have 2.5 times more PP TOI than Eller and 5 times more PP points last season?

–Go Habs Go!–

35. crane says:

D.D. must go for team to move ahead ,With rookies on defense we will be taken a step back this year so great time to move Gally to center and let the chips fall were they may. We could be in for nice surprise.

36. Luke says:

Good Morning HI/O,

Hope everyone is having a good day! It’s Thursday (Well, here it is, you Aussie’s and Oceania-ians may already be enjoying Friday) and that means the weekend is only one small step away.

So Happy thoughts to those that need them, and let’s hope Eller and the Habs sign the deal today. (1 year – 2.1 or 4 years – 10.5).

37. John Q Public says:

New poll question.

What will happen first ?
    1. The last game score will disappear
    2. The advert with Boone’s beautiful mug will change
    3. WW3 or has it started ?
    4. DD is loved by one and all
    5. Aliens invade and decide to go home
    6. PK signs
    7. None of the above

38. JohnBellyful says:

The risk is great that relations between team and player could be badly damaged, perhaps irreparably, during the arbitration process, because of arguments put forward by management in defence of an offer much lower than the salary sought by the athlete.
    It’s a delicate piece of business, arriving at a contract after negotiations have failed to produce an agreement, and the wiser course of action would be for both sides to remove themselves from the process and let the experts take over.
    That’s right, let the good folk at HIO present the case for a player’s salary before an arbitrator. They have a good handle on the worth of a player like Subban or Eller, and opinion is so divided within their ranks that the pros and cons of each player would be well represented in any hearing.
    Sure, hurtful things might get said, aspersions cast, but all in keeping with fans whose opinions are held in low esteem by player and management (otherwise, it would have been a far different Montreal Canadiens that took to the ice last season).
    The victims of the vituperative utterances could meet afterwards to commiserate over the character assassinations that each suffered at the hands of such contemptible people, and argue, somewhat convincingly, ‘Hey, I would have never said that!”
    What potentially could cause a harmful rift would instead become a bonding exercise.
    And how would they know exactly what was said?
    The hearing would be broadcast online, over Snype, of course, and Pay-Per-View.
    Five of our more informed, opinionated, and passionate posters could be found for each side without much trouble.
    I suspect there might be some resistance to this proposal – not from HIO, heavens, no! — but from the parties involved (no one likes being upstaged), to which I offer this alternative: have the two sides wear clown suits — AND inhale helium before each point proffered and rebutted. This will inject a much-needed note of silliness into otherwise solemn circumstances and facilitate a quicker resolution.
    With levity comes brevity.
    One last note: I wouldn’t be surprised if Subban has already submitted two salary proposals, one with MT as coach, another, the lower one, being post-MT.

— “A little song, a little dance, A little seltzer down your pants.” –

39. 123456 says:

Correct me if I am wrong (yes it happens with some level of frequency)….. Did I just see an article on another news source that correlated Lebron James going back to his first NBA team and his home town to another player in a different sport two years away from free agency going back to his hometown?

40. third generation haber says:

@Marc10

I appreciate your comments about DD and agree that he’s a good player, but he is holding back this team. We can’t contend for the cup with DD in our top 6; it’s impossible. The top 6 on all recent cup winners dominate 200 feet of ice; DD is good from the blue-line in and knows how to pass to Pacioretty.

We have to move forward and let Chucky and Eller take the lead. Eller may not have the regular season production, but he produced while centering the egg line and, most importantly, he was our top forward in the playoffs!!! As well, we know Eller will be a good 2 way center who plays physically.

Pleks plays the hardest minutes of our centers, shuts-down top opposition, skates very well, is great defensively, kills penalties, and is better at face-offs. He may be older and more expensive than DD, but DD could not perform Plek’s role, not in a million years.

DD is completely sheltered in-terms of zone starts, linemates, and PP time. Without Pacioretty, DD had 1/3 less production last year, Pacioretty, on the other hand, had identical production with and without DD; these are facts! And beyond the facts, the reffs don’t seem to care how badly DD gets roughed-up because it seems to be accepted that small players get knocked-down a lot in the NHL.

We’re sacrificing too much in-terms of sheltering and showcasing DD. The reason, on the tip of many our tongues, is that he’s one of the only local boys on this team. And I’m sure the players are aware of it. Before anyone screams bigot, I honestly WANT to see MANY more Quebecois players on the habs! It’s important!

The arbitration offer to Eller, considering what DD was handed, is completely insulting. Are they telling him that he’ll never be a top 6 forward??? He must be ready to go postal because he knows how much harder his job is than DD’s is.

I like DD, but our top 3 centers should be 1) Chucky, 2) Eller, 3) Pleks. Will DD be traded? NO, politics won’t allow it.

Please listen to this great pod-cast with Connor McKenna and James David. It’s the most insightful take on the habs I’ve heard in years. They give the DD story more justice than I can:

j.p. murray

• Cal says:

We can’t really forecast Chucky as the #1 center, a position he hasn’t played in over 3 seasons.
      DD answered a lot of questions about his compete level in the Boston series, playing a 200 foot game. Tossing his chemistry with Patches into the dust bin isn’t a good idea, to me. Patches’ 39 goals attest to that chemistry.
      You call DD’s ice time “protected”. A better word would be “managed”. It’s MT’s job to put every player in a position to succeed. He did exactly that, getting the Habs to the semis, before the lack of talent- hi Gorges, hi Gionta- helped them bow out.
      Throwing Chucky in as #1 center would be too big a step. For now.

• Marc10 says:

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think Lars has number 2 in him. A solid 3 for sure. Pleks is a true number 2. The answer is Chucky if we’re going to make do without DD. Keep Eller on the third line. I’d love for him to play a full year with ‘playoff Bourque’ and Weise. That would work.

I wouldn’t ship DD until you’re absolutely sure Chucky is ready. I think he’s going to need a full year at center. This year…? I hope so… but I doubt it.

41. Habfan17 says:

I am of the opinion that both Eller and PK will get signed. It is not as simple as, here Is the market and this is what I think I am worth. Management needs to be fair and still be able to ice a winning team and are, or should be looking ahead and who is coming due for new contracts. Players need to decide if they want to stay with the team, be contenders every year, or just make as much as possible.

If I am a player, I want to be paid on par with my peers, but I also want to win! Personally, if I was offered $7 million/season for 5 seasons and that left enough money to keep the core in place and give the team a real chance to win every year, I take it! Even if $7.5 is closer to what other players are making. The reality is, with $35 million, I never have to work again if I choose not to and my family is financially secure for generations, if I don’t blow it!

It is hard for us to fathom making that kind of money. In our world, it would be like accepting a job at $60,000/year over one that pays $65,000 but would have us working longer hours and being away from our families more. You have to decide what is more important to you. I respect Ray Bourque. He did not want to upset his family and move, he was loyal to the bruins and he accepted less money to have that balance in his life knowing he would never hurt for money and it is not all about the money! He did it even though the other players were abusive to him for doing so. That took courage!

Now let’s see what PK, or is agent really want! A chance at a Stanley cup each season, or just big bucks!
    Habfan17

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

A lot of it depends on what money is to us. If it is a tool to let us have more time with our families and develop our interests, then we are the type to accept a palty few million for a few years of playing a fun game. Wait, is that what I typed?
      I’ve met a lot of money hoarders though – people for whom money isn’t a tool. It’s a vindication, a recognition, a symbol. They define themselves as worth whatever they have in the bank, and they tend to want to have big big numbers in their bank accounts because those numbers make them feel good. I don’t think they especially care what they spend it on or what they do with it. It defines their worth to themselves, and to the people around them who tend to hold the same values.
      They want more so they can compare themselves to high earners. They win with numbers, and things like Cups, or team efforts take second place to those numbers. The world is full of CEOs who bankrupted the company but seem proud to have walked with huge severances. It should be shameful to mismanage horribly and put thousands out of work, but if the pleasure is in the numbers, they win.
      So, you never win a Cup and never have the rep as a champion, but have loads and loads of money and things versus you work in a team, get a little street glory for winning, and still have loads and loads of cash, but not quite as much. What do you value? That’s what we’ll see.
      I fear I know the answer with PK.

2014 Summit, only 4 days left for game tickets!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

43. mksness says:

so here’s a fun question. how much would PK be worth as a UFA? what kinda of stupid money could he get in the event he continues to play the same way with no injuries. if i’m i’m PK i would sign my version of a bridge deal if the contract talks weren’t in the 9-10m a year range

• Habfan17 says:

I would say he would get UFA offers in and around the $10 million range. Hopefully PK does really want to be a lifetime Hab and will take a bit of a home town contract. I suppose it would not be a bad thing if he did sign a two year “bridge” contract as you put it.

It is difficult to know where he should be! With contracts like Phaneuf’s out there. Then tempered with Doughty’s. I would say the first season should be at $7.5 million and then average out at around $9 million given the comparables and the escalating cap each year. I think it would be best to have the contract end when the current CBA ends.

Habfan17

• thebonscott says:

sign him for 60.8 over 8 years, thats 7.6 mill/year for number 76. then the question goes away completely.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

A better question is how much trade value does he have?

There’s only so much cap, and he can kill the building of the team, as good as he is. If the contract is reasonable, and is negotiated, great.
      If it’s arbitrated, then hope it’s low because they will get better value for him. There will be no panic and no fire sale, but time to put together a strong transaction that really raises the Habs chances of getting to the next level.

44. thebonscott says:

Brisebois is a class act guy, underrated, underappreciated, and i hope he returns to canadiens in some capacity in the future, enjoy your family.

45. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Interesting read concerning how Ryan O’Reilly and agent Pat Morris of Newport Sports Management were minutes – if not seconds away from entering the Arbitration hearing, before agreeing to 2 year deal ” with a handshake” outside the Hearing Room with Joe Sakic

———————
    So why the interest about another organization and Newport Sports Management?

Newport is the Don Meehan group – the same that are negotiating the P.K. Subban contract…and this time around, GMMB is going to have his hands full. (Payback?)

Last time out, Subban had no rights and missed the beginning of the year and was forced to accept the Habs deal.
    This time around, Subban holds all the cards and can dictate his present and future – to the point of becoming a UFA in 2 summers.
    Imagine if Subban ever came on the open market….

This Newport group represents several premier players in the NHL, and have been able to extract huge contracts for their clients – big overpays in several scenarios.

Just a very few examples:
    Brad Richards: 9 years/$60M
    David Clarkson: 7 years/$36.75M
    *Dion Phaneuf: 7 years/$49M
    Mike Richards: 12 years/$69M
    ….or trend setters such as Zack Parise: 13 years/$98M.

A lot of details to figure out.
    Over and above term and Cap Hit, the new CBA allows contracts to be structured with big up-front money.
    It also states that no year can be less than 50% of the highest paid year, and there cannot be a variance of more than 35% from year to year.

Therefore, could Subban be looking for huge cash (not Cap Hit) in his first couple of years?
    To the tune of….let’s say $12M- $15M?

Next year, 9 players will earn Salary/Bonus compensation of over $10M – the leader being Shea Weber at a cool $14M.
    Ryan Sutter checks in at $11M, and Phaneuf at $8M…

• Cal says:

The Brad Richards deal was pretty much the most idiotic deal ever signed by a GM for a middling talent. His bonuses were obscene for what he brought to the Rangers almost 10 years after his success in TBay and his no pressure time in Dallas.
      I do not like signing bonuses. They are unnecessary in a guaranteed salary league. I don’t care how other teams run things (they mismanage the Cap all over the place and force buyouts, see Brad Richards).
      Meehan will try to get all he can, but without a signed offer sheet from another team, he is limited to what the arbitrator believes is fair compensation for PK- likely $8 to $9mil. We’ll see next week if MB is prepared to give PK that big money and term deal.
      We should hear about an Eller deal today or early tomorrow.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cal

What’s going to be interesting is finding out how Habs management/ownership value the ‘Subban package’ in both the short and longer terms….and how and IF Subban sees himself long term in Montreal.

We only get to see and hear things outside the room…and Words are just words, until signed contracts are done and registered.

PK has always shown a lot of Love for Montreal, and Habs coaching/management/ownership have mostly always been quiet about Subban.
        We’ll find out soon enough what’s really up.

• Cal says:

I’d like PK under contract for the max 8 seasons. I’d like him to be named Captain. Then again, I’d like to win the lottery, too, as this is wishful thinking.

• gmur says:

Hey! We took Scott Gomer off the Rangers’ hands in exchange for star talent… why not Richards?

• Loop_Garoo says:

Signing bonus’ are a big deal to players though. There is over time a huge difference between the interest you earn on that money getting it upfront at the beginning of the year than there is getting it spread out over time.

Don’t forget, as much as we criticize the players for putting money first, they are doing what is smart for them. There are a dozen variables that are out of control, and careers can be short. I can’t blame them for maximizing it.

• Marc10 says:

Cheers MR. Newport’s client list makes for some pretty ugly reading. How many buyouts will it top out at? Yikes!

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Marc
        And that’s the point, isn’t it?
        These guys do seem like they almost always get the best $$$ and term for their clients when they have the leverage.

This group is a far cry from the guy (Shall) that got Max’s contract of 6 years/$27M

• Marc10 says:

Yup. I wonder how much MB could have gotten out of Donny Meehan’s group had he decided to go full term with PK instead of a bridge? That’s what I wanted… but I’m not the GM.

Now we’re in for it. Either MB thinks PK is elite and one of the major pieces to a cup, or he’s going to have to trade him next year while the kid still has value…

8×8. Here it comes.

• gmur says:

Interestingly enough, your list shows several players who disappeared once signing a big money contract. Clarkson, Richards were busts and it’s safe to say that Phaneuf is far from meeting expectations. The exception is Richards.

When Subban gets a big money deal, I almost expect that his play will suffer for a season or two.

How do you see Therrien and Subban’s relationship flowering once Subban makes 4-5 times Therrien’s salary?

• New says:

I think Newport knows what the Canadiens will not pass on salary. I think the Canadiens know what PK will not accept. Both sides probably have it down to the nickel on what either side “does not want” to take.

That is why deals get done at the last minute. PK goes into arbitration and you could see either a very unhappy Subban or a UFA.

46. Habfan10912 says:

Up with the chickens or as some would say, the maritime and European HIO posters.

Had a great summer time afternoon filled with hockey talk yesterday with my friends Ian and Front and a new friend, CJ. The HIO community is filled with so many wonderful people and it’s a privilege beyond description for Chris and I to be included. We are blessed.

The laughs and stories which were shared are reminders of what truly is important in life. Ian is a treasure and Front, well he may not know where to put a stamp on an envelope but you’re always in a better mood for having spent time with him. CJ introduced us to his wonderful family and as someone once said to me referring to my family, stepped into a treasure.

I suspected all along that Eller may be the toughest off season contract negotiations. I’m personally having a difficult time coming to grips with managing the cap so I’m not qualified in analyzing Bergevin strategy in regards to Eller but looking at other comparable players it appears the Habs offer was a little modest, eh?

Off to attempt to lure a few fish onto the boat. CHEERS all!

• Maritime Ronn says:

good morning Jim

• Maritime Ronn says:

Jim,
        Don’t worry about the Habs Cap management
        They have 21 players under contract and $15,151,667 left.
        Once Eller and Subban are done, the Habs will still have enough room to deal with injury call-ups, or make a trade deadline move if they look like a serious contender in the East

47. habs001 says:

With 30 teams and a cap all fans can hope for that each year your team is competitive and makes the playoff…The reality is that there will be many teams that will not win the cup over 30-50 year streches.Just as easily as the Habs win the cup in the next few years thay could just as easily not win the cup in the next 30-50 years…

48. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

49. pete says:

If we caould give Danny Briere 4mil to be a playoff performer and put points up in the playoffs.But Eller according to MB is only worth 1.6. take the arbitration and walk neverthought i would here my self say this but go play for the bs or laffs and make the management look bad. I think CJs offer would be great.

50. Harditya says:

A couple of things I’d REALLY like to see this year:
    – Price get his 3rd 30+ wins season under his belt. He needs exactly 30 more wins to be the franchise’s 4th all time winning-est goaltender, right behind Plante, Dryden and Roy.

– Max Pacioretty hit the 30+ goal plateau once again. He’s finally being recognized as a serious offensive threat throughout the league. I’d love to see him crack 70 points. No one has done that since Plekanec did it in 09-10 (70 pts) and Kovalev in 07-08 (84 pts)

– The kids Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Can you believe this is going to be their 3rd season as a Canadien already? I hope both of them can take a big step forward this year and crack the 50 point plateau. They both should see added responsibility, plenty of powerplay time and see their ice time increase further. Chucky’s and Gally’s TOI averaged 12:19 and 13:51 in 12-13 season and 14:23 and 15:57 last season respectively. About time both of them are unleashed.

– I know one of Beaulieu and Tinordi should make the roster this training camp, but I would love to see both of them make the team full-time and make life tough for Bergevin. Perhaps making Weaver the extra defenseman by the time playoffs roll around.

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

Offering Lars $ 1.65 millions ?

Likely Bergevin has end-game closer to $ 2.25 millions, but still low-balling at initial offer of $ 1.65 millions, not all that much more than raw rookies Beaulieu and Sherbak would earn if They make the Team, is a slap with a cold fish to Eller’s face.

It’s insulting.

$ 2.5 $ 2.6 seems more fair for Lars.

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I hear what your saying but it’s hard to say who the real Eller is, the playoff Eller who was great or the one who went in the tank the last 70 games in the regular season. I would love to see the playoff Eller emerge in the regular season but I guess he still has to prove it to MB.

• Phil C says:

Keep in mind the Habs probably have a bigger multi-year contract offer on the table as well which is probably higher than the arbitration filing number, so that would be less insulting.

• Marc10 says:

Lars asking for $3mil is a bit rich. Since he deserves just a shade above $2mil it is smart to low ball him to end up somewhere in the middle.

He was great in the playoffs, but missed most of the season after lighting the joint on fire in the first week. Not good enough to get a big raise. Bergie is doing this right. He’ll get what he deserves. No biggy.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s not insulting. It’s how arbitration is structured. The player asks for too much the team offers too little, the arbitrator splits the difference.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

52. JohnBellyful says:

For the CFL fans, a sad note:

53. ClutchNGrab says:

Brisebois / Hartley
    A sad episode of Quebec reality tv:

54. Marc10 says:

Sub Eller into DD’s role would be a complete gamble. Would Eller choke? Would we make the playoffs if he does? Who would replace DD? Does Chucky + Eller at centre replace DD’s significant upside? It’s a gamble… And do you need to gamble when Wee Davey + Patches gets you into the show?

Until Chucky steps up, there is no better point producing centre at that price point than David Desharnais. When Chucky turns into a first line monster, than by all means… But until then, you’re stuck with a diminutive centre who earns his pay check, IMO.

Putting Eller into a top 6 position when he hasn’t shown any aptitude for the job beyond flashes of brilliance over two seasons is suicidal. And Chucky isn’t there either. With DD you know what you’re getting and you’re going to make the playoffs. You can’t say that with Lars or Chucky just yet.

Hopefully Chucky comes into his own early this season and puts this debate to rest. Until then, go with the guy who has earned his spot and gets us into the playoffs.

• Habfan17 says:

I like your post, although I don’t know where you see a significant upside for DD! He has been in the league long enough and considering how “great” his vision and creativity is supposed to be, he was awful on the power play where he has more time to use both.

I see Eller as having more upside, although I am not sure it is significant. He is already a better all round player. Even when he was not putting up points, he was playing strong defensively, especially in his own zone. Something DD does not do.

I find it funny, when I point out that in my opinion, Pleks is not as great as some people think, he never puts up enough points to be considered great, I am told he is great defensively. Eller is not far behind in that regard, but he gets little credit for it here.

I don’t think it would be a good idea to put Eller with Patches and Paranteau, I would put Galchenyuk there and put Bournival with Pleks and Gallagher. Then I would have Sekac, Eller and Bourque.
      That would give the Habs a first line, P,GP and two 2nd lines.

Habfan17

55. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

While we’re taking about DD: Where would Pacioretty be without him? DD almost always finds the tape on Patches’ stick in the heat of play. I was a DD hater, but now think that he’s a great center for the Habs’ top scorer, and there’s serious value in that. (A big nasty power forward would complete their line. Cole was good. Whatshisname, that Austrian bloke, had his moments, but a big strong guys who will drive the net and draw a defender and make space for DD & MP… That would totally do the trick.)

Grow Habs Grow!

• Habitforming says:

DD 38 pts /82 gms without Patches
      DD 55 pts /82 gms with Patches

Is it really Patches who benefits from DD, or the other way around?

• third generation haber says:

Stats show that DD’s production without Pacioretty are much lower, while DD has no impact on Pacioretty’s stats.

You’re asking for another linemate to “make space for DD”. He gets PP time, offensive zone-starts, our top scorer as a linemate, and now u want to give him a power-forward to give him more space???

Top 6 centers are supposed to be the driving force for their lines, not the weak link.

Why would a top 6 center need these many advantages to be successful???? Because he’s not a top 6 center!!!

j.p. murray

56. crane says:

D.D., NYGREN A SECOND AND A THIRD DRAFT PICK FOR SIMMONDS OR KANE
    TRADE MOEN FOR A FOURTH TO SOMEBODY

57. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Class act, Patrice Brisebois. Long may he break wood.

58. Donkey Hoat says:

- Tell me, do you spend time with your family?
    – Sure I do.
    – Good. Because a man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.

59. eric says:

My starting line up

Pac, DD, Sekac
    EGG line
    Bournie, Plec, PA
    bork, Malholtra, weise

60. Frozen Village says:

Mr. Cowan, I appreciate your productivity; But the ‘by-line’ on Eller lives for a half a day. Cheers for Brisebois et all, I was an exceptional enthusiest of his when in played in the world juniors.

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

61. CJ says:

Good evening friends.

A quick note of thanks to Front, Jim, Ian and Chris for including me in their luncheon this afternoon. Let me simply say that the poise, grace and humour that adorns their posts, is only further magnified in person. If this is any indication of what I might expect at the summit, I simply can’t wait.

Gentlemen, it was an absolute pleasure to meet each of you in person. I look forward to sharing more stories, drinking more beers and discussing the state of our beloved Canadiens in November.

Echoing comments I shared this afternoon, if Eller is satisfied at $3.1 million, I’d consider a four year, $10 million dollar deal. A $2.5 million cap hit provides feasibility and flexibility in the payroll budget. I still see upside with Eller. I might be in the minority, but if he builds upon a strong postseason, and continues to gain confidence, we might see him evolve into the premier third line centre in the conference. That’s a bunch of “ifs”‘, but, again, the potential far outweighs the risk IMO. If he elevates his play to match a Kyle Turris, then we have a steal.

In any event, I’m tired, I’m full and I’m no longer thirsty…..

Signing off, CJ

62. Old Bald Bird says:

stEller discussion today, but we never answered how many DD’s can dance on the head of a pin. Hmmm?

63. Mustang says:

I always felt that Brisbois was a decent guy but I could never figure out how he made the NHL. I can remember a comment by Red Fisher (I think it was Red that wrote this) “Brisbois is the only member of the Canadiens that always knows where the puck is, it is always behind him”. In all the years he played for Montreal, I cannot ever remember him actually hitting an opposing player with a body check.

• scamorza says:

someone posted a video where i think he plastered Tuckder. Look not one of the better defensive defenceman , and that may be an understatement, but he brought some things to the table including some half decent offensive numbers – funny i don’t recall him being moved up to forward at any point as any challenged “d’s” in the past but of course the noggin’s memory doesn’t work like it used to

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

64. John Q Public says:

To paraphrase ” He’s a Hab! Maybe the lowest of the Habs, but he’s one of us. “

65. HabFab says:

So I get accused of living in the 60’s and 70’s re my taste in music… guilty as charged but Weird Al having the number 1 video… wow!!!!!

66. Harditya says:

Eller vs Desharnais is so yesterday.

I am here to start a real debate: Budaj vs. Tokarski.
    I think it’s a no brainer. Instead of losing Tokarski for nothing on waivers, I’d rather see Budaj waived (because I believe he has no trade value). Toker is already much better than Budaj and he’s capable of handling (playoff) pressure. I mean, the kid gave Marty St. Louis fits. As cool as Budaj is, he’s let in a lot of stinkers here and there and always been horrendous in his short stints in the playoffs (that overtime goal he let in against Sens in 2013 playoffs.. jeez). He was particularly awful in the 2nd half of the season for whatever reason, and was not a reliable keeper in Price’s absence. It doesn’t make sense to keep Budaj when Toker will be the one playing in Price’s absence everytime. Hamilton has a decent starter in Joey MacDonald, so I think it’s time Dustin graduates to the NHL.

No? Okay how about Jiri Sekac vs. Sven Andrighetto vs. De La Rose?

• mksness says:

even if you lose toker for nothing. you’ll eventually lose him because i don’t think he’ll want to be a back up. budaj knows his role.

doesn’t really matter. backups good or bad usually don’t fetch much for one in a trade and the habs are set in goal for a while with price

67. piper says:

Good deal for the leafs signing Booth to a very low risk contract.

68. twilighthours says:

Eller v Desharnais is, in my opinion, far worse than Price v Halak.

I hate HIO when this is the topic.

• piper says:

Eller, Price>>>DD, Halak.

• habcertain says:

I know what side I’m on

• Steven says:

But, at the same time, DD, Price >>> Eller, Halak. That rests almost entirely on Price.

As far as I’m concerned, the team would be no worse off with either of the two over the other. As it stands, one keeps the puck out of your net better, and the other puts it in the opponent’s net better. The net result of losing one for the other would probably be negligible.

(For the record, I think Eller has and will reach the potential of putting up about as many points as DD. He’s just not there yet)

• mksness says:

halak and price statistically aren’t that different. edge goes to price; i also think price made a huge commitment to being in better shape this year and the goalie coach might have helped him a bit with playing further out of his net.

• Grimmly says:

Put Price on the ST Louis team Halak inflated his stats on and lets see how different they are

• The Jackal says:

Right? But either way, I’m going to chime in here.

First, and not to disparage or pump either players’ tires, Eller has shown flashes of brilliance, but he has not been a consistent offensive threat. DD, on the other hand, has had one bad slump, but other than that he has produced consistently and is one of the best playmakers on the team. On top of that, his speed has improved and he is strong on the puck. He is not a physical specimen but he is not soft and he is deceptively hard to knock off the puck when he has possession. Sure, he won’t win a lot of battles in the corners, but he battles and he is a shifty player.

Eller is obviously better in the physical department, but even then, he doesn’t throw his weight around and he doesn’t assert himself consistently. He was great in the playoffs, but IMO he needs to play that way on a consistent basis. It’s better that a guy shows up in the playoffs rather than not doing so at all, but he can’t be invisible for long stretches of the regular season and expect to be a core contributor. That being said, Eller is a great kid and he has the tools to be an excellent two-way centre that can put up 40+ points, but I don’t think he is an offensive dynamo, which is where the DD vs. Eller discussion gets misguided.

In the case of Eller, he doesn’t have very good hockey sense. His hockey IQ and decision-making are often questionable, and perhaps it’s a confidence issue, because when he’s on, he’s on, but as has been noted, he goes way too long without being a factor and makes many bad plays in the O zone. So if it’s a confidence issue, he needs to get that figured out, it’s getting to the point where we fans feel he may be easily distraught, and if that affects his game to the point where he is not a factor, then… yeah that’s not good. On the other hand, Eller is good defensively and plays the PK and has been good as a 3rd line guy – he is big, he can be physical and win battles, and he is dependable. But just because he has had a few moments in which he elevates his game and makes other players better doesn’t mean that that is who he truly is.

On that note, I think the argument that he hasn’t been given a chance with good wingers is a tired one. Not only that, but to say that he would have produced more than DD with Vanek and Patch is a huge assumption. DD and Patch have excellent chemistry, and Vanek clicked with DD, not with Pleks – a guy who has produced 60+ points and who is a good playmaker in his own right. The thing is, Eller edges DD out in the physical department and in the defensive department, but DD is a great playmaker and he has proven that he can play with elite wingers and help them elevate their game – he didn’t bring Vanek down, he helped him click on the team. Is Eller thus locked in a 3rd line role? No, but DD is not the player who is holding him back or taking TOI or good wingers.

From my view, Eller is essentially auditioning to be the next Pleks. IMO, he is gonna be the guy who makes Pleks expendable. Lastly, all of this is to say that Eller and DD are different players and play different roles on the team.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

69. JUST ME says:

Been droping by reading a few comments but staying away from writing wich in my book at this stage is either repeating old stuff or pure hallucinations.

But today i felt i had to write on a few subjects. What the hell is wrong with Toronto`s medias ? 2 years left on Stamkos deal and they are sure he is going to be a Leaf when it`s done ? That should show you how sometimes we really do not make any sense and look like total (add whatever foul word you want here)…

If i were in a pro hockey player`s position once my carreer is done on the ice i would do exactly like Brisebois and spend those precious years with the kids and wife. Would come back later on but when you are young and healthy and financially spoiled why not ? So it`s not because of Therrien after all !! (barely hidden sarcasm)

D.D. is not going anywhere soon. Deal with it.

Like this Sherback kid. Saw his highlights reel from last season in WHL on youtube and really like his style, likes to go in traffic and in the crease. But he is a kid ! Will get his 9 nine games trial and will be sent back in WHL. This is where Brisebois and Lapointe usually stepped in to make sure that this precious energy is well spent and that the kid aims high and who knows ? But i think that the not so hidden card anymore is the Sekac guy. I think he will get the gig .

Will be back to comment when Larry and P.K. get their deals done. Enjoy summer everyone !

70. Forum Dog says:

So the Stanley Cup I get, but why is the Breezer family posing with the Hart, the Lindsay, and the Art Ross?

71. piper says:

IMO Eller should be making more than Desharnais. He is a more complete player. Bigger, stronger, and plays both ends of the ice. But I also think DD is over paid. I would like to see Eller get 3m per year for long term.

72. JohnBellyful says:

Family comes first

73. Marc10 says:

His contract is off the books and we have a better/younger player (relative to an equivalent salary). I see that as MB fixing that mistake, but yes… that mistake was fixed via trade.

74. shiram says:

It’s interesting to see you picked Eller, while all 3 centers played similar minutes at ES last season, Pleks had 14 ES goals, DD 13 and Eller 9.
    I’m sure Eller can up his total though.

Gio was actually second on the Habs, behing Max, with 16 ES goals.