Canadiens look to bounce back against Leafs

PenguinsNealHIO

Must-win game?
How about Must-Not-Suck game.
For both teams, because Toronto didn’t look good in its loss to Boston.

Dave Stubbs: Concern yes, panic no

Fans are past the concern stage

Rivalry? Not really

Stu Cowan on Kirk Muller

The Red Line

Marc de Foy on the slump

Sean Gordon on Max Pacioretty

Time for some perspective

Kevin Weekes loves Montreal

Saku and the fraudster

A little pre-game pump-up from the Boss:

1. Chorske says:

The Chris Boyle article is the bonehead litmus test: it has already identified two posters (just eyeballing here) who missed the sarcasm re: Julien. Or the generally sarcastic tone of the entire article.

The Habs need a #1 centre. They need a crash and bang 4th line. I would suggest they also could use a 3rd line defensive unit capable of facing off against opponent’s top lines. They need two top lines that are capable of scoring goals as well as be a constant scoring threat. The Habs need much more size and physicality on the back end. Much, much more.

Changing coaches wont achieve any of that so IMO it’s not the coach that needs to be changed. It’s the team concept that needs an overhaul. That probably requires an eventual coaching and GM change too, like in a few years should the Habs have the players required to actually build a championship team with.

I want PG and JM to stay because they look like the pair that can bring us a few lottery picks.

• Chorske says:

Basically, you want them to be a different team.

Aren’t you one of the guys who often suggests that posters who disagree with you should go cheer for another team? Because it looks an awful lot to me like YOU want to cheer for another team: you want to replace the whole team, the GM, the coach, you want the team philosophy and character to change.

• HardHabits says:

Yes. I want a team that can win a Stanley Cup and I don’t believe the Habs current strategy is a championship one. I don’t care if it is 4-5 years into the future. The problem is the Habs priority is making the play-offs, even if it means 6th to 8th spot ad nauseum.

I never ever suggested that if somebody disagrees with me that they should go cheer for another team. Ever. I have never even hinted at such a thing. I have also never ever suggested that somebody go cheer for another team for whatever reason (I do suggest to watch other hockey games if you want to see good hockey and teams that have a chance to win the Cup), although many people here have suggested that I should.

Nice projection there Sigmund.

And yes. I called for a house cleaning back when Koivu was still here but not this. BG went the opposite way. He tried to rebuild the team via free agency into an over-night sensation. It didn’t work. The Habs overachieved in the play-offs two seasons ago and also last year in the regular season. Both results were on the backs of other worldly and unsustainable goal-tending. The team currently is playing closer to their level and that is why they are low in the standings. I don’t believe they are much better than their record shows.

I cheer for the logo on the front of the jersey, not the name or number on the back.

3. j2w4habs25 says:

The Habs better win tonight, i’ll be so happy!!! but if not uggh!! IDK ahaha

Carey Price #31

4. Thomas Le Fan says:

Excellent article by Chris Boyle. For someone who’s been watching the Habs and NHL hockey for almost 60 years, I have to say that sometimes it seems many posters here started watching hockey yesterday. Am I impressed with our start? No. Am I writing off the coaches, management and the entire season? No.
    By the way, I’m quite sure Milwaukee’s good start in the A is all due to assistant coach, Ian Herbers. I say, to heck with Muller. Let’s cut to the chase and hire Herbers!

5. Chuck says:

LOVED Chris’ deliciously sarcastic article on calling for some perspective on the start.

And I agree with 24Cups. AC/DC is the bang-for-a-buck go-to band.

6. Nunahab says:

Why is Kirk Muller not the coach of the Habs?

Not this year, but you never know in hockey.

7. Chorske says:

Every time someone mentions grit or size on HIO, God clubs a baby seal to death. WITH A SPOON. Because it will hurt more.

Please. Think of the baby seals.

8. bobinsask says:

I began to read Chris Boyle’s Time for Perspective but had to quit when he stated that the Habs needed to fire Claude Julien when they did. He system was boring, it stifled the offense and it would never lead to long term success.

In the meantime, the “exciting” system implemented by Martin scored 30 fewer goals last year than the “boring” Julien system. Oh, and Julien’s team won the Cup. Is that not the definition of success

Talk about losing your credibility in one short sentence. Chris, you set a new record.

• Danno says:

Boston stole the cup because their team was Daddy Campbell’s darlings and were untouchable last year. They got carte blanche to do anything they wanted to and go unpunished by the league. Any team would have an unfair advantage if they were so untouchable as they were.

The Habs were the Bruins’ toughest opponents in the finals. No question about it. We were only one goal away from defeating them. We were without our best power forward at the time, Max Pacioretty, who certainly would have made a difference on at least one of those three overtime games we lost. And how did we lose Pacioretty?

I rest my case.

Put an * beside Bruins Starley Cup Charpions 2010-11

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Haboholic11 says:

If you kept reading you would notice the whole article is written with a sarcastic tone…

• JF says:

He was being ironic. The whole piece was written tongue-in-cheek.

9. hansolo says:

The sky may not be falling but perhaps the server did? No new comments in nearly 10 minutes? Or am I the only one who doesn’t have a life today?

10. hansolo says:

From a post on EOTP

The sky’s not falling…yet

Read about it here

• savethepuck says:

good article. Not familiar with Hockey Prospectus, if it’s not a Habs Blog, I like reading unbiased positive articles about the Habs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Some people mention Nail Yakupov for the Habs if they tank.

We all know the Habs wont and would rather opt for blowing all their future draft picks just to try and get into the play-offs this season should they be in 24th spot when the trade deadline rolls around. So I doubt we ever pick high with this current regime.

But let’s fantasize that the Habs had an ownership that was interested in winning a Stanley Cup and didn’t just look at the team as simply some form of glorified RRSP investment.

Why Yakupov? He’s 5’11” 168 lbs. If the Habs draft such a player they are going to need to change their whole philosophy and also draft/acquire some size and grit to ensure that an elite player like Yakupov has any space and room to be effective. Not to mention shed the team of another 75% of the current line-up that is either small, soft or old (which means replacing 75% of the current line-up ).

With the current regime within 2-3 seasons, if selected by the Habs, Yakupov once he made the NHL would more than likely sustain an injury that would eventually lead him to be useless for the rest of his career, and since Yakupov would be the only superstar scorer on a team rounded out with other small and soft players and incapable of carrying the whole midget club on his back he would be doubly destroyed because of this lack of support coupled with all the expectations that come with being such a high selection in the hot bed that is Montreal.

The Habs are so out of touch with building a contender it’s becoming tiring. The Hubrus of the organization has encountered a series of Humiliations in the past 3 years. And it’s not over yet.

But there will be no mea culpa because the Habs are addicted to their past and wont face up to it. Pretty soon a thin emaciated PG, hooked on small speedy forwards, will be seen on the street corners and back alleys of Detroit, New York, St. Louis looking for new players to sustain his habit.

PG: Hey man. Know where I can score me some physicality.
    Dealer: Nah man. But I got a little speed and skill.
    PG: OK. How much?
    Dealer: Hmm. I’ll take this here nice prospect on your wrist and also this draft pick you got in your back pocket.
    PG: Ah man. That’s my last draft pick.
    Dealer: Look kid. This speed and skill might look small but believe me, it’s uncut and pure so you can mix it with some cheap sand and grit.
    PG: I got some crap sand and grit from you last time but, but, that speed and skill does look good, so I’ll take it.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Spoken like a man who has once again, ignored just about everything I’ve posted about the team’s current player development, drafting and acquisition strategy.

You want the game-changing forward? Yakupov is your best bet out of the draft. I’ve already said DD will go (question is when, he can’t fit into this team), if Yakupov were to come on board the team would immediately find itself shedding another small forward in a deal to bring in another big man for the team. Can’t skip over the best Russian draft prospect since Alex Ovechkin/Evgeni Malkin’s year because he’s 5’11”. That is the kind of thinking that had Claude Giroux go 22nd overall and James Sheppard go 9th in 2006, or why MTL MAY have passed over him.

You think PG wouldn’t make moves to accomodate Yakupov?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• HardHabits says:

The problem is not Desharnais. 33.607 million in cap space is tied up in Gomez, Cammy, Gionta, Plex, Markov and Cole. Half the cap tied in crap.

Gomez has to go. Cole hasn’t shown much so far and looks like a bust. Gionta is in decline. Markov looks like he is one puck battle away from retirement.

Of that bunch the only two I’d keep are Plekanec and Cammy.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Cole is six games into his contract. Panic much? He’s a noted slow starter in his seasons as well. Gionta was off to a slow start last year as well, still led the team in goals dragging Gomez behind him.

And you still are making a strange argument. Saying that if the team decides to completely rebuild by going for Yakupov in the draft but it wouldn’t start cycling out veterans to fit the new team better? Very strange assertation. You say the team even if it went for Yakupov, would do everything else as it were. Even though it couldn’t do that, they would HAVE to shed talent just to make sure they lose so many games they could get the kid.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• HardHabits says:

I am saying if the team goes for Yapukov it has to rethink it’s strategy entirely. It has to shed the idea that it can build a team via free agency and add pieces via the draft. It’s the other way around. The organization also needs to understand that hockey is battle on ice and without muscle a team gets brutalized.

The Habs need a #1 centre. They need a crash and bang 4th line. I would suggest also a 3rd line defensive unit capable of facing off against opponent’s top lines. They need two top lines that are capable of scoring goal as well as be a constant scoring threat. The Habs need much more size and physicality on the back end. Much, much more.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Gionta is on the decline but there is certainly a spot on one of the four lines for a guy with as much grit and determination as our current Captain.

Cole needs a line that lasts more than a period. Personally, I did not like the signing but the guy has not been given a chance.

Cannot argue with Gomez or Markov though I still hope the latter might return. If he can return, he is worth it. But yeah, the team has to address the Gomez money pit.

• cuzzie says:

He’s only 17, might still grow a bit.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• EricInStL says:

I mentioned Nail as it’s the best fit for a slogan. Fail for Nail.

But he seems to be as exciting as you can get this year. One board says speed like Bure

But looking quickly at the 2012 prospects and average seems to be about right.

• neumann103 says:

baby seal!!!

oh noooooooooooo!!!!

“Et le but!”

12. Bugs says:

So I’m hearin names like Filip Forsberg and Ryan Murray; sounds interesting; things not all bad.
    Plus, if the Yank economy crashes this year and the NHL season is aborted, we can say we saw it coming and therefore wisely decided not to go all in this year so we’d not have much to lose.
    It’s win-win!

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

Gee! I miss being positive and confident!

• savethepuck says:

The boys will win you back over the next couple of weeks Ian.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Boone: “The National Hockey League’s oldest rivalry is so old, the teams (Turdranna & Montreal) have forgotten why they should hate each other.”

…really ??? …until My dieing-day I will revel in My bottomless disdain for Turdranna and it’s vile Muppleweeds …speak for Yarself Boone :(

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

15. Hobie Hansen says:

As mentioned the last couple days, I agree this team is missing a few key elements; Kirk Muller, a stay-at home-defenseman, some grit and another centerman beides Plekanec.

With all those holes to fill I still believe this team can flick the switch and go on a tear.

I am very concerned about Kirk Muller though! Jacques Martin may be the brains behind the operation but Muller really seemed to be the guy to put the plan to action and motivate the team.

16. Neutral says:

martin put together pretty good lines for the game tonight. maybe we can win a game…just maybe

don’t take the leafs lightly.

17. habstrinifan says:

BobDobbs says to me: October 21, 2011 7:55 am at 7:55 am:

“Actually I still think you were wrong, but thanks for taking advantage of your team’s poor play to justify your lucky guesses.”

Shall I be the CYNIC, read the ‘profundities from the room’
    And sneeringly grin in sardonic sadism at the listless GLOOM.

Shall I be the PESSIMIST, read the ‘profundities from the room’
    And look askance in grim prescience of foreboding doom.

Shall I be the REALIST, read the ‘profundities from the room’
    And ready enough of barbituate, tonight’s sorrow to entomb.

Nay! I shall be the opportunist, read BobDobbs post of sarcasm,
    And lay down a miser’s farthing on game ..
    Which be it, the devil’s team or the bedevilled team?
    You, BobDobb, decides on WHOM!

18. Neutral says:

Reports PG went to see the sharks and devils game so as when the sharks come to play the Habs he’ll have figured out a way to beat a team that’s playing the way his is.

• Storm Man says:

So all my friends who are Laff fans are coming out of the holes they live in to say lets me a bet on tonights game…… I said sure lets bet on the game having lot’s of pain and boooooing ……. I want the fans at tonights game to chear….” Clap Clap Martin” Habs lose tonight he best be gone or when Im in town for the Boston game I will toss one of my Habs jerseys on the ice……

19. zak says:

WE’RE TIED WITH WINNIPEG!!!!

20. Bugs says:

Yeah, normally, I read through the comments before puttin down cuz there’s nuthin more foolish than sayin sumpin someone else just said a few posts down, but I didn’t this time concerning the Gomie business and the reasons are two-fold:
    Primo: my boy Dezzy doesn’t get enough love from folks apart me and a few others, so finding the suggestion that he should be moved up and double-timed, I’m pretty confident, would’ve been a rare discovery anyway.
    Secundo, and more importantly: I AM sure that I WOULD’VE found suggestions that ELLER be moved up. Good’ole “plays really, really good but never creates SH*TE” Eller to the rescue; that woulda made me snap.
    So that’s why I didn’t read down, and I’m quite proud of the maturity expressed from my part on such a stance, as well you should be. In fact, I’m friggin awesome; let’s not mince words.
    So anyway: Dezzy should get bumped up and affordable considerable more ice-time.
    And he will create, and produce, and deliver.
    “Oh, he’s too small, not enough strength to last, he’ll crumble in fatigue, and he’ll be useless, oh dear!”
    Fine.
    Until he DOES crumble in fatigue however?
    Yeah, let’s get some points and wins up. Deal with bridge-crossing later.
    Word.

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• VancouverHab says:

You’ve got the DD thing completely downside up, Bugs.

Except for a very few here, DD gets a perpetual tongue-licking sponge-bath — and that goes for the journos as well as us posting proles.

I like DD as much as I like the next journeyman Hab, and I appreciate the David ‘n Goliath angle, (in Gionta as well) but I just don’t see the DD-as-salvation thing. I also wish for a Francophone-homeboy-star, but let’s get one of the LeCavalier quality…

Springsteen sucks.

22. C_exacte says:

Game plan= check Phil Kessel to pieces, protect Carey Price, shoot anywhere but the big Maple Leaf on Reimer’s jersey…ah who I am kidding, game plan= don’t freeze up if you’re down a goal.

23. EricInStL says:

The Habs need a big centerman. It’s obvious to anyone who knows a little bit of hockey. Their woes will never end until they get that guy. That being said, PG must look at any way to get that guy.

Is there anyone out there the Habs can get who is presently being underused ?

I normally don’t like the hindsight posts, but perhaps they should have tried signing Arnott, stop gap, but would give a big body centreman.

• EricInStL says:

I think Arnott didn’t want to sign with the Canadiens. I think as soon as Markov is ready and playing well, they could ship him off (assuming they are out of the playoff race) for a bounty of players. Something they should have done with Souray…

That is a wild rumour, I don’t understand it. Why take such a leap of faith on this guy then trade him away. There is no way his trade value is any good at this point. What GM in his right mind would give up tangible assets for Markov at this point. I am not doubting Markov, I love the guy, but that would be a huge gamble from another GM given how this season has begun for Andrei.

• EricInStL says:

A team who is in the playoffs (for the first time ???) but doesn’t have that offensive general. A team like Vancouver last year would have won with a Markov on the D.

• HardHabits says:

Markov could be highly sought after at the trade deadline if he is looking good by then.

I think the Habs have to consider this. I mean they should. I know they wont because being in Habs management means thinking you are right all the time. Trading a player you signed isn’t about maximizing assets, it’s admitting you were wrong.

Habs GMs are like creationists. The facts stare them in the face and they still try to shape things to fit their own limited and faith driven POV.

• Neutral says:

any manager who would take markov off PG’s hands is about as smart as PG… Gave him a big contract to watch the team play.

• ProHabs says:

There we a couple of impact centers available this year, Carter and Mike Richards (as well as Brad Richards). PG just didn’t step up to the plate enough.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Yes, the Flyers would have traded one of these players to us, without wanting Subban, right? And Brad Richards? Come on…

I suggested sending Gomez to Hamilton and signing Handzus. He doesn´t put up big numbers but he would be extremely useful for us. Big, doesn´t mind standing in front of the net, good PK player and strong at face offs.

• hansolo says:

To be fair, PG tried. Betts didn’t work out. We don’t know if he tried to get Steckel. I can’t imagine he didn’t.

• mike3131 says:

Jarret Stoll?

• LafleurFan says:

Loved the era when 5’7″ Mats Naslund was garnering votes for all-star status.

Martin St. Louis, and for that matter Steven Stamkos are neither big nor gritty.

I’m afraid the focus may be on players like Mathieu Darche and Travis Moen. Their jobs are to create space for Mats Naslund, er, excuse me, who are our current small guys again?

Guys like Matt Cooke, Patrick Kaleta, Steve Downie don’t fight a lot but provide opportunities for the scorers by way of their physical play.

Hail to past stalwarts like Claude Lemieux, Mike McPhee, and the other non-stars that were vital to their Stanley Cup teams.

LafleurFan

24. TommyB says:

Can anyone read Stu Cowan’s article on Muller and not realize Muller is exactly what the Habs need? I realize that he may not be ready for an NHL team yet, but it won’t take him long. You sadly know that when he is ready, Montreal will not be looking in that direction. Too bad.

• Bill J says:

I firmly believe Muller is the only English coach that would be accepted in Montreal at this time.

Agree Bill.

• Clay says:

‘Accepted’???
        What, is it up to the fans now? The Habs are a religion as much as a team, and I seriously doubt that even one fan would leave if there was an English-only speaking coach. What we would see and hear is a lot of noise from the French media, which would soon die down – especially if the new coach was winning.

This French-only coach mentality has to go if this team is to move forward.

__________________________
        Anyway, I’ve never been captain in 16 years in the NHL. But that didn’t stop me being a leader in my own way.
        Guy Lafleur

I agree Clay, but clearly this organization since Scotty Bowman has done everything they can to maintain a francophone Head Coach. I don’t like it, I also am not from Quebec, but I know I am a huge Habs fan since I figured out how to change the channel on Saturday nights to the French CBC feed and watch a real team instead of that Leaf team in the early and mid 70’s.

• savethepuck says:

I can see why, that Scotty Bowman guy really sucked and never won anything for this organization.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• hansolo says:

I think Bill J meant the media. Bertrand Raymond, Francois Gagnon, Normand Flynn and their ilk.

• Bill J says:

Clay don’t misread my post, I do not care… I want the best candidate. And yes I did mean some francophone media types.

• Clay says:

I know you want what’s best for the team Bill – and apologies if I came across as saying otherwise. My anger was addressed at the ‘policy’, not you.

However, I think the tide has turned on this. The Molsons back in ownership, and Ronald Corey gone…I think the next coach will finally be the best one available period – French or not. We shall see.

__________________________
            Guy Lafleur

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I agree. To be fair, I don´t understand why Kirk doesn´t speak French. For me it shouldn´t matter but after all these years as a player and a member of the coaching stuff? I mean Koivu was criticized despite having learned two foreign languages, Muller probably only speaks English…

• Ian Cobb says:

Tommy, I could only dream about having Muller and Jarvis running the bench. There would be ups and downs for sure, but one would always know the team would be ready to compete at the highest NHL level, each and every night.

25. mjames says:

Hey it would nice if we won tonight but to be honest the long term trend for this team is negative. We have a GM (PG) and senior advisor (BG) who have been terrible in evaluating talent . We have a coach who has not been successful in maximizing the performance of the players he has. To prove my point here a list of players we have GIVEN away over the past few years. I stress the word “given” because we received virtually nothing in return. The Gomez trade is a prime example. We gave away Higgins and McDonough and got back a 7.5 mm cap hit.

Player G A +/-

O’Bryne 1 1 2
    Hamrilk 1 0 0
    Halpern 0 1 1
    D’Agostini 3 1 7
    Streit 0 4 2
    Higgins 3 2 0
    Grabs 2 0 -2
    SK74 1 4 -2
    McDonough 2 2 3

The above list is very discouraging when you look at what we rec’d in return. The performance of the Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier team rivals that of the Houle regime. The trades and FA signings have been mediocre at best. If I am Molson I would replace PG. I would instruct JM to scrap his system and institute a system which complements the current team’s strengths. I would go with youth which means Gomez and Spacik are gone to Hamilton. I would cut, demote Moen, Darche and Enquist. I would tryout players in hamilton to see if we have anything. Lets see if they have potential I would be patient with the young players such as Diaz, Emelin, Subban and Weber. If we want to challenge for the cup we need to rebuild with a high draft choice. Critical to this , however, is having someone in the GM position who can evaluate , draft and trade talent without get getting fleeced or ruining our cap position.

I appreciate that those who consider themsevlves true Habs fans will trash this e-mail but as someone else recently pointed out on HIO if you are really fan you will acknowledge that management’s performance has been unacceptable for too many years. Although the Bell continues to be sold out we are starting to see cracks. When the Molson’s start to see revenue down, maybe they will do something.

This team as presently constituted, managed and coached will be fighting for last place this year. We are further away from the Cup than ever. We are back in Houle years. Gainey and PG gave or traded away the guts of this team and its future.

mjames

• Bill J says:

I agree it sucks to lose players. However, to paint a more accurate to your point picture, let us remove the players who where picked up as free agents and lost for nothing. And then analyze the drafted by Habs losses.

– O’Byrne… Got Bournival, he is looking to be a much better asset for the Habs. Muuuuuuchhhh better!

– Dags… Got Palushaj, soon this will be a wash, and there’s still a chance Palushaj becomes a better player then Dags.

– Higgins, Grabs and SK74 all where bad apples in Montreal… Sucks the Habs got fleeced, but at their respective traded times… They stank!

– McDonagh… I have been, and still am … Pissed off about…

So IMO, Bournival washes the McDonagh blunder.

• mjames says:

We analyse and dissect any which way we chose . The bottom is that the guts of this team was let go or traded. We are no where near being a tier 1 team and PG does not have the ability to get us there.

This is the year the wheels come off finally.

mjames

• 24 Cups says:

Bill – McDonagh is already an established NHLer. His star is still rising. Bournival is a mid level prospect with good upside. I can’t see it being a wash. Would the Rangers trade McDonagh for Bournival right now? You also have to take into account that the McDonagh trade also cost us five years of 7.3M cap space. In today’s NHL, cap space is an asset just like a player or prospect.

Higgins has bounced around the past few years so I’m not losing any sleep over that move. Getting nothing in return for Ribs is a real pissoff. That was a major Gainey hiccup. We got a 2nd rounder for Grabs and had Koivu/Pleks on the depth chart so I’m good with that. SK74 should have brought a 5th rounder to help offset future deadline deals for depth players. Palushaj? I doubt he’ll ever be a regular Hab. Dime a dozen.

• habsolutely says:

“In today’s NHL, cap space is an asset just like a player or prospect.”

it’s refreshing to see someone who “gets it”.
          wish some of the apologists could see the forest thru the trees.

• Bill J says:

No one was talking about cap space, until 24 Cups raised the issue (a fair point btw)

If you actually bothered to read my posts instead of always looking to poke a jab at them, you would know I want PG and JM gone. I am no apologist for them.

Nice to see you’re still reaching with your jabs.

• habsolutely says:

I was refering to Gomez’s cap space. Not PG or JM. If you actually read my post instead of just rushing to take a jab at me you would have got that. Same old Bill, senile as ever, go take your nap oldtimer.

• Bill J says:

I understood 24 Cups reference to Gomez’s cap hit. Projecting your own senility perhaps. Again, maybe you should read before jabbing at me, you’re off the mark once again.

When you refer to people as apologists, in the same breath as Gomez’s cap hit. It’s a direct relation to BG for trading for him. So then it falls on PG for still having Gomez’s cap hit on the team, and how he has managed it. The original post after all was about management, learn to keep up.

Who the hell takes an apologists stand for the cap hit on it’s own ?

• kempie says:

“The performance of the Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier team rivals that of the Houle regime. ”

Now that, right there, is some good hyperbole.

26. Neutral says:

Any team out there if you wanna get rid of a player that don’t produce call PG he’ll help ya. he’s a good guy and will never leave you stranded…

27. New says:

Fun with words
    April 3, 2012 Montreal
    “We have to believe in each other”

According to defenseman Brendon Nash, whose phenomenal 12 game run of 0-2-2 -6 has been carrying the team’s struggling powerplay since early March, the Montreal Canadiens simply need to believe in each other.
    “Times and players change” says Nash. “Look, lets not fool ourselves. I started the season in the clinic but it was upper body injuries that gave me my chance here.”
    Nash, who you may remember was leading the Bulldogs in Greyhound Rider Points was called up when Hal Gill was traded at the deadline to the Flyers for the seventh round pick in 2017. Gill managed to turn his game around when paired with Pronger and the Flyers recent 7 game shutout streak came to an end just on Mar 24th in their 12-1 win over the Habs. Fans will remember it was Nash who called it on TSN during that game “We’re going to score one.” he told Stock then. The late game five minute three man advantage, which the referee has since apologized for and the league refuses to comment upon, proved Nash right when Gill yelled from the box “Come on giv em one” just prior to Giroux accidently firing the puck into the suddenly open net. Peter Budaj got credit for the goal being both the last Canadiens player to touch the puck and closest to the net.
    “We just need to believe in each other. The fans deserve that. They pay money to see us play but we (the players) are the guys on the ice.” said Nash.
    The recent string of injuries suffered by the team have the training staff baffled.
    “It is as if we can’t step out the door without someone suffering a mid body carpal tunnel injury!. Look at Andrei.”
    “I turn knob and hear crack. I think ice but no is my wrist. Tendon snap.” were the words the player himself used to describe this most recent injury suffered. <>
    According to coach Martin “Every team has to play through injuries. Our record doesn’t reflect our play. If you take those last 19 wins of the Flyers off their record and give them our record over those 19 games we’d now be within shooting distance of a playoff spot.”

Tomorrow night’s game may set a record of sorts. The Canadiens who have been among the league leaders in demanding larger nets for opponents should, barring unforeseen events such as missing goaltenders, set a new record for crossbar hits during April. Scott Gomez, rehabilitating his hip surgery in Florida wanted to be at the Bell for the ceremony.
    “Getting that wallet taken off my glutt in December set me back a bit.” said the well liked Gomez. “The doctors say it will be May before I can start working out again and likely mid-summer before I can play hockey.”
    When appraised that the medical staff in Florida thought old number 11 would be able to play hockey by mid-summer Pierre Gauthier, recahed at his office, was quoted as replying “That would be wonderful. I can’t imagine anything more positive than Scott actually playing hockey but really you should ask someone associated with the team how they feel about it.”

Tomorrow night’s game against Tampa marks the return to town of Max Pac whose 52 goals lead Stamkos by one, although Max has played seven fewer games as a result of his self imposed suspension prior to his trade to Tampa Bay. I asked Max how things were going in Tampa and if he had any regrets about following Price off ice in the incident than galvanized the Montreal media and prompted Subban’s unfortunate incident.

“Things are going good.” he said.

With two home games to go, tomorrow against Tampa and next Saturday against the surprising Leafs, the team is about to establish a new record for ticket sales, averaging 24,000 per game over 42 home games in a 21,000 seat barn. Carolina’s game on Thursday being played at the Bell is sold out also but still counts as an “away” game. As the GM said “We’re just happy to get half the gate…that’s why we moved the game here.”

Game starts at 7. Puck drops at 7:10. Habs will be there around 9:25.

28. hansolo says:

Good article by Stu Cowan on Kirk Muller. It puts to rest any rumors that Kirk didn’t like JM’s coaching methods or that his coaching heroes were only Pat Burns and Jacques Demers. I’ll apologize in advance for the direct quotes in case they offend anyone’s sense of propriety — I’m not at all trying to get readers to bypass the article.

He says JM taught him a lot about preparation and what it took to be a head coach in the NHL. He also compliments Guy Carbonneau as a smart hockey guy. He doesn’t at all come across as expecting a HC job to be handed to him on a platter. I don’t think he left Montreal with a bad taste in his mouth at all.

What impressed me the most was what he said about communication. While acknowledging how important it is, he also said it’s a two-way door:

“I’m here to communicate with you guys, but don’t come see me if you’re not ready for the answer.”

He therefore puts some of the responsibility for communication on the players as well — a good philosophy. Could he have also gotten some of that from JM? When I hear players whine about JM not talking to them, I always ask myself, “Well, can’t you go talk to JM, then?”

This how KM summarizes his coaching style, referencing both Martin and Carbo:

“At the end of the day, both of them stressed defence, and I don’t think I’m any different. I just believe in a very hard-working aggressive team up front, that’s all.”

Very nice interview. Captain Kirk has a good head on his shoulders. I hope he can come back in 2 years and coach the Canadiens. By then, perhaps there’ll be a solution for the French language issue. Maybe Kirk will learn enough French to get by (Gainey did) or perhaps the French media won’t mind an interpreter.

I have to think Kirk knew he couldn’t become an NHL head coach direct from NHL Asst. with zero head coach responsibilities along the way. He wants to progress his career in coaching just as a player wants to progress his career. A player moves from Junior to AHL to NHL, just the same a coach needs to do some Head Coaching at AHL or perhaps Junior before becoming an NHL head coach.

I would hope his relationship with Habs Upper Mgmt is such that his name could be in play down the road. I would be hopeful that a future coach with the historical value Kirk has in this organization would be exempt from the French Language requirement.

Thanks for the link HIO and hansolo I agree with you.

29. Bill J says:

Further to my below post about the Markov rumor. Same site reports PG attending the SJ vs. NJD game last night.

Just because I’m curious what you guys think about him.

What if Markov + AK where traded for Joe Thornton ?

Just throwing it out there… I’m torn on big Joe, however. He is very much what this team needs. In many ways.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

I doubt san jose ever considers trading Joe, but Marleau may be in play.

• ProHabs says:

With the injury riddled Markov’s questionable future and high salary, we would be lucky to get Brad Winchester for Markov and AK. Who would want to take on Markov’s salary if he can’t even play.

• Bill J says:

He is improving quite well, and from what I’m reading… Is ready to play, the Habs are being extra cautious. Which we as fans should appreciate.

He is now working on knee strength, to ensure he doesn’t get injured anytime soon.

• Clay says:

Bill…below you said “apparently there’s some bad blood between the two parties now”

Perhaps you should replace the word ‘apparently’ with a more appropriate word or phrase, like ‘rumor has it’.

__________________________
      Guy Lafleur

• Bill J says:

Clay, it is all linked to the rumor. I don’t have to repeat myself do I ?

• Clay says:

No – I just think spreading rumors without explicitly stating it is indeed just a rumor is bad policy. Especially in Montreal. All it takes is for one reporter to see your comment, pass it off as reality, and the story goes into media circus mode.

__________________________
          Guy Lafleur

• Bill J says:

Again, I did explicitly reference a rumor. And readdressed it… Re-stating it in my subsequent replies is redundant Clay. It’s a conversation.

• Curtis O Habs says:

Big Joe will show up here with his best years behind him and do a Pierre Turgeon, Gary Leeman, Sergei Samsonov, and the list goes on, impersonation. Go after Rick Nash.

30. Neutral says:

until they change the structure of this team a stanley cup we can only dream.

too soft, can’t score, weak defensively

31. Bill J says:

Not a big fan of rumors. But the french Canadian Eklund site vestiaire.ca says that there’s something brewing with Markov. Apparently no longer in the teams long term plans. Seems to me like a bold rumor, coming from a mostly Habs related rumor site.

• SeriousFan09 says:

A Habs-related rumour?

When the Cogliano-Brule-Frolov line suits up I’ll believe this one ;)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Bill J says:

LOL, thus why I don’t like rumors. That being said, this site has a better success % then Eklund as they don’t just talk about trades, and name drop like Eklund… Normally… Thus why I find it interesting to name drop Markov.

• otter649 says:

There’s a big difference between a rumour & someone giving their opinion on a topic on a blog but then an opinion too often turns into a rumour thanks to the Internet/Twitter……

• Bill J says:

I agree, but again…. I’ve rarely seen them name drop when it comes to things like this, they’ve hinted at things in the past. Not really naming Hab players. Thus why I find it interesting that they did name Markov in this instance.

• naweed235 says:

Well… If that’s true I would not want to be PG right now… man way to throw away $17.25 M

Throw away ?

They say a physical offensive forward is PG’s target… For what it’s worth.

• naweed235 says:

Don’t you think paying someone who can’t even play a game anymore 17.25 M is throwing the money away? Are they saying he is done or he is to be traded?

• Bill J says:

To be traded, apparently there’s some bad blood between the two parties now.

• ProHabs says:

Markov no longer part of the long range plans. Could they not have decided this 3 months ago before they gave him a major contract and before the Wiz was gone.

If signing Markov was the fault of the doctor saying he was OK, that doctor should be fired and sued.

• Bill J says:

The medical status of Markov while improving, is also mentioned as being something the Habs felt a bit miss-informed. And are not happy about it.

• 24 Cups says:

Bill – Markov’s three year cap hit means he’s still very much in our plans. In fact, there is no long term, three year plan without him.

For those who state we’ll get cap relief, all I can say is that they might want to revisit the situation from another viewpoint.

• Bill J says:

They imply, a change is imminent within this year. Again, all “for what it’s worth” as I rarely believe Hab rumors… Just to talk… :)

• 24 Cups says:

I could only see two possible “changes”. We buy him out (I wonder if you can buy out a player who is injured) or we move him to Europe once he’s healthy (in which case, why wouldn’t we keep him?)

As you say, it’s all BS when it comes to Eklund.

32. naweed235 says:

Random question: Which home team commentators do you find exciting to listen to?
    My favorites are: St-louis’, Calgary’s, Chicago’s and Buffalo’s

A look at our daily cap space. Things have really tightened up since the beginning of training camp.

34. habs001 says:

The last 2 years we finished 23rd and 25th in scoring ..yet gion scored 28 and 29 goals, plecks 25 and 20, ak46 20 and 15..cammy has averaged 23 last 2 years…i am hoping that camm can score more but it really looks like that these players are going to put up these type of stats..so our hope for increased scoring is maxpac who is looking good but we still do not know what type of scorer he will be……..we are hoping that cole scores…after that we have forwards that have not shown that they can consistently produce at the nhl level and their scoring projections are hard to figure out…so again we look like one of the lower scoring teams in the nhl

35. habs001 says:

Lot of fans have high hopes for Eller but i am not sure what type of player he can become…..he is only 22 but his scoring stats in the last 5 years are very minimal… there have been thousands and thousands of players who had his type of scoring stats and the ones that have made it to the nhl usually became no more than 15-35 point a season players…. i am sure there are exceptions but it is very rare..most players who score 60 plus points have shown high level of scoring prior to the nhl..

• SeriousFan09 says:

Scoring is very different in the European leagues and not many under-20s get a lot of ice time in the SEL. Posted a good AHL season as a 20-year old, comparable to Desharnais, or even Plekenac and Peoria is not a very good team.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• CranbrookEd says:

I would agree with SeriousFan09! In addition, I think that at this stage (especially considering that his current coach has a uni-focused defensive system that does not change nor evolve nor does it allow for/take into account the individual skills of his players) you/we need to look at Lars each time that he is on the ice. There never appears to be a shift when he is just floating. He hustles when back-checking even when it is obvious that he will not be able to catch the opposing player. He exhibits some excellent puck-handling abilities while being an excellent skater. Another piece of the puzzle is his determination and “grit”. For a young guy who looks even younger and not the biggest guy on the ice, he appears to be more than willing to go head-to-head with everyone and anyone in the corners. Think back to the payoffs when he separated his shoulder but kept on going, came back and continued to play. That is a piece that you can only hope for from a player, but many with much more talent never exhibit.

Personally, I really like watching Lars Eller. He may never be a 50 goal scorer – especially with under his current coach’s “system”, but he can I believe/hope be a reliable and very strong offensive threat for many years to come . . . the only thing holding back his development, is playing for the “Count”.

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”!

36. piter says:

We get paid a lot of money to compete every night and games like (Thursday) aren’t acceptable.

Great quote from PK,
    Imagine, something that we can all agree on!!!!!!!

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Habs+have+faith+their+system/5590608/story.html#ixzz1bVvI5WhA

37. cuzzie says:

The two camp try outs are doing pretty good in Hamilton.Simone and Fitzgerald. Doesn’t say much about the drafted players. We’ll have to sign them to NHL contracts.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Bill J says:

Why doesn’t it say much about the drafted players ?

• cuzzie says:

A lot of the players in Hamilton were not drafted. We won’t know for awhile about Leblanc. I was referring more to the quality of the drafting and not the players per say.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Bill J says:

2007 was a great draft year, look at how many are playing for the Habs from that year.

24 Cups highlighted the subsequent years, drafted players have been looking awful good IMO.

• Number31 says:

DeSimone was the tryout drafted by Washington. FitzGerald was signed by Hamilton as a second Alex Henry-type protector and him scoring a goal is a rare thing. He is not an NHLer…

Other than the young drafted Habs prospects (like Avtsin, Nattinen), Hamilton has non-drafted FA-signed Habs prospects. Steady Freddy has discovered that shooting the puck actually does something. Who’d have thunk it that he’d be in a shootout, and scoring a goal in it no less…

Remember, the rest of the prospects are either still in junior or still in school. Or injured (Stejskal was hit from behind, Leblanc should be making his debut soon which is good news for Lefebvre).

38. adamkennelly says:

how many Swiss D-men does one team need? Seriously – not enough top end talent, very little NHL depth, small soft F and softer D….this is shaping up to be a very long year…someone needs to inject some passion into this team…I’ve had enough of JM and the Vegan….I’m ready for Patrick Roy and a good experienced assistant like Kirk Muller..would be sweet to have him…oh wait.

39. JohnBellyful says:

TV reporter: Hello, sir, I’m with TSN. Would you like to take part in a fan poll?
    Man on the street: Sure, why not.
    Reporter: Do you need a hand getting up?
    Man on the street: No, I always come to this spot to lie down when the world is about to come to an end.
    Reporter: So how long have you been a Canadiens’ fan?
    Man on the street: Four five-year plans
    Reporter: 20 years?
    Man on the street: No, seven.
    Reporter: Well, the poll question is right up your alley. Should Hab coach Jacques Martin be fired?
    Man on the street: Out of a cannon? You bet.
    Reporter: That seems rather harsh. Let me put it this way, should Jacques Martin be relieved of his duties?
    Man on the street: I’d be relieved if he were relieved so yes, I believe he should be relieved.
    Reporter: But why? His team made it to the Eastern Conference Final two years ago after pulling off two major upsets, and last year his club gave the eventual Stanley Cup champions their toughest fight?
    Man on the street: They’ve lost four games in a row. They’re three points out of a playoff spot. They’re tied with Winnipeg as the worst team in the conference. They’re one point behind Ottawa, for gawd’s sake! And they’re probably going to lose to the Leafs tonight! I don’t know if I can face my wife and kids if that happens!
    Reporter: Leaf fans?
    Man on the street: Yeah. I blame the great-grandparents. Wife’s side. They actually saw Toronto win the Cup and have been delusional ever since. But they’re good to the kids so what could I do?
    Reporter: Back to the poll, why so hard on Martin? He’s missing key players, his veterans haven’t been producing, he has a lot of young guys still learning the ropes at the NHL level, and Price has had a few shaky outings. How can you put the blame on him?
    Man on the street: Martin’s beige in a city of bleu, blanc et rouge. Even Don Cherry couldn’t get away with that clash in colours.
    Reporter: I see your point. Thank you for your time. How much longer do you think you’ll lie on the street?
    Man on the street: Are you calling me a liar? TSN. Toronto Sports Network. I should have known. Beat it.

— “Who knows but the world may end tonight.” — Robert Browning

Wow Columbus off to a horrid start as well. Given they jacked their salary budget big time this year, if they continue to struggle there will be a fire sale there. That team had to have playoff results in order to cover the increased payroll.

You think they will take back their 7th round pick for the Wiz?

41. G-Man says:

Tonight will show us all what it’s like to not have Gomez in the lineup. Habs looked really good against the Pens, so I am expecting more of the same. Not!
    Time for a win-at-all-costs kind of effort. We haven’t seen that since last April and we’ve waited long enough.

• Clay says:

With all due respect, please give the Gomez love a rest. He is the highest paid player ever to suit up for this team, yet he is conspicuously lacking in both effort and production. What this makes him is NOT an important piece of the puzzle, but a useless player who eats salary that could be better spent on one or two real players.

I would in all seriousness rather have Aaron Asham on this team than Gomez – even if Asham was making Gomez’s salary.

__________________________
      Guy Lafleur

42. 1010 says:

I think you had it right the first time Mr. Boone. It feels more like a must-win game. I’m not sure a must-not -suck game will stir up any upbeat feelings about the future any more.
    Les boys need to take out the laffs tonight just to restore some calm to this situation.

GO HABS…

43. Mick says:

For those of you who would like Halak back. ” 1 win in 5 games played, save percentage .835, goals against 3.47 “. Have a nice day.

• Clay says:

So Price has one win in 6 games played, and a piss poor GAA himself.
      Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Personally I just want whichever goalie we have to win here.

Something to think about, from the last thread…
      …when can we stop pretending that Price is playing well? 1 win and 5 losses, a 2.83 GAA (good for 27th in the league) with a .890 save % (good for 29th in the league) – these are not good numbers.

Not that the blame for the bad start isn’t spread equally amongst many players – but so many here keep saying Price is playing so great. Sorry, but he’s not.

__________________________
      Guy Lafleur

44. HFX-HabFan says:

Because no contender has ever started out of the gates slowly…yeesh. You people need to CALM DOWN. There’s a reason other teams’ fans make fun of our fanbase.

• G-Man says:

And we should give a flying bleep what fans of other teams think of us?

• piter says:

starting out of the gates slowly….yeesh. I agree that it is way too early to write them off, but we’re well worse than just starting slowely. To me, it seems like our forwards aren’t getting open enough to accept a pass during a rush, so then we dump it in, only to lose the battle, to ice the puck, or not even get it deep enough, then having to rush back to cover the counter attack. We can’t seem to put more than 2 passes together, before we lose puck control, and have to scramble on defence until we get a whistle, or get scored on. I think what will help first of all is to keep the lines consistent. Put a line together and leave them together for more than a few shifts. Let them play together long enough so they know what each each others tendancies are, than they will know where to look for an outlet pass, or a give and go. How often do our Habs “give and go”. I always found that a good way to get the puck up the ice. Anyways, it’s not the end of the world…….yet. We will turn it around, well, les habitantes will anyways. On a different note, has anyone else noticed that more and more players are going to the boards for the puck and when they know someones coming, turn their back, not only to block the puck, but to try to draw a penalty for boarding. I know its what your supposed to do, as a defenceman, but players are definitly putting themselves in harms way on purpose. Anyways, I’m done for now. GO HABS GO!!!!!

45. Bill J says:

Wow, 8am and rude already ?

1) he didn’t say people had been talking about it, he said “for those missing Halak”. Which many still are.

2) saying “we shoulda gotten” is a ridiculous hindsight statement. The trades happened in two different off-seasons. And this summer when Varlamov was traded, he had a bit more value then the norm for a goalie. Most media outlets where shocked the Caps got so much for him. So let’s settle down with the “shoulda” talk.

3) Maybe it is you who should go back under a bridge, you are after all the one who is bitting other people’s head’s off.

I’m tired of people getting very personal when the meer mention of Halak stats that are not glowingly great are mentioned.

Mick didn’t spit on Halak’s memory, he posted his stats…. Yeesh!

46. Mick says:

I was just reading that Eliot got the win for the Blues last night and I am just responding to all the ” trade Price haters ” on this site or trolls that come out only when the team is playing poorly. I guess that would not be you?

You do know that in an earlier post you reference we should have kept another Swisss Dman right? hehe, I was part of the Konopka sweeptakes, heck Joel Ward from Nashville was a nice rugged UFA forward available.

For now, I just want to first see this entire team compete. We do have some forwards capable of hitting, would be nice to see it.

48. G-Man says:

Yup, it could have been Gooins North.

49. Bill J says:

Just re-read the post. It was not obviously bait. I am not an enforcer, and I explained why I replied…

50. savethepuck says:

Actually, they both can. He was older than both of them when he started playing for Montreal.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

51. G-Man says:

Wiz did nothing for the last 30 reg season games and playoffs- but he’s better than sliced bread since he’s elsewhere. Rag on, jl.

52. Bill J says:

Subban, Weber, MaxPac, Yemelin, Avstin, Leblanc. And those are just the ones I can think of without checking.

2011 – Beaulieu – concensus is that we grabbed a good one

2010 – Tinordi – long term project just like most oversized Dmen
    Gallagher – 147th pick, still a long shot but still in the picture

2009 – Leblanc – hasn’t played much high level hockey so he now has to catch up
    Avtsin – 109th, another long shot who needs more seasoning

2008 – Tanguay pick, we were going for it all
    Kristo – took the college route, has a 50/50 chance

54. Bill J says:

Jl: I stand corrected on Subban, Weber and MaxPac and Yemelin. 2007 was a great draft for the Habs. But Avstin and Leblanc are signed, within last 4 years.

And since the original post refers to drafted prospects in Hamilton Vs. Non-drafted prospects, and you yourself admit 2007 was a great draft.

Why does it not say much about the drafted players because DeSimone and Fitzgerald are doing well ?

55. cuzzie says:

Beaulieu,Gallagher and Dietz are excellent players with their junior teams. I’m afraid once they turn pro the “SYSTEM” will make them mediocre.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

56. Bill J says:

Cuzzie: “le systeme JM” will be done by the time those guys are Habs.

57. cuzzie says:

Too bad it can’t be now.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

58. ooder says:

whys that? because his players are allowed to run amock?
    julien has 0 class or composure.
    and his team played without any rules.. that doesn’t make julien a good coach
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

59. rogieshan says:

I’m not big fan of Martin, but that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement for Julien, either. Recall back to the opening round of the playoffs last year where Claude was guaranteed gone if the Bruins had lost to the Habs. The team went on a roll after winning that series, with all its pieces clicking, and the coach was spared. I don’t think Julien has changed his philosophy but rather augmented it with the Boston brand of aggressive hockey. In that regard, he is more open-minded than Martin because he knows his players and what style suits them. Martin appears much more rigid and unwilling to alter from his master plan.

60. WindsorHab-10 says:

Martin’s coaching record is deceiving when you compare regular season win/loss to the playoffs. Yes he’s a defensive genius but you can’t have skilled players committing to play defence all the time because by the time playoffs roll around, their tanks are empty.

I envy teams like the Pens, Wings, Sabres and so on. No matter how many injuries or talent level, they show up for 60 minutes every game. That’s what great coaching is all about. JM is far from great.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

61. twocents says:

Um, so what do you define as “way up on the scoreboard” Is it four goals or more up? Or 5 or more goals up?

In either case we’ve already had a 5-1 win this season.

Habs last season: 5 games by 4 or more, 3 games by 5 or more.

Last year’s Stanley cup champs: 7 by 4 or more, 4 by 5 more.

Considering they won the cup, is the difference that substantial? I bet your fact-less post intended to give the impression the gap was far greater.