Leafs seething; Bulldogs’ Bonneau a call away

The Toronto Maple Leafs are seething over Andrei Kostitsyn’s check of Brian McCabe Saturday night, which resulted in McCabe’s broken hand and extended stay on the sidelines. And in Hamilton, freshly minted Bulldogs enforcer Jimmy Bonneau, up from the East Coast league, is just a phone call away, should Canadiens GM Bob Gainey decide he wants muscle – and plenty of it.

1. WindsorHab-10 says:

Just watched TSN and they interviewed Maurice. He still feels that it was a cheap shot despite everyone including his players saying that it was an accident. What a windbag.

2. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

Being so close to Cincinnati, I’ve had a chance to see Bonneau develop. I think he and Cedric Desjardins the goalie could make it into the NHL. They are still a year or two away in my opinion, but they really stand out on the ice as players who are in control of the game.

3. linp says:

My avatar is the reply to the one by HABS-PROFESSOR. Now, let’s beat up any team in the league. Have no fear!

4. ebk says:

Broadstreet Bullies of the early 70’s started the enforcer era.

5. linp says:

I know this is not Habs hockey but an enforcer is used by many teams not just protecting their skill players but also trying to change the momentum of a game when the team is down by two or three goals. Remember during the slump, our team just continued to play with no emotion. I am not saying that an enforcer can change that. At least, a fight can wake up the home crowd and the energy could pass onto the players. Also if the other team sends out their goons and looks for a fight, you would want your enforcer to take the hit. The enforce is trained to fight. He won’t get injured too easily.

6. wd40 says:

The reason we all see too much of Maurice is because we watch the Toronto Sports Network. Ugh. If that was a deliberate plan on Kostytsin’s part, then he must be a freakin’ Ninja.

7. ebk says:

Rick Chartraw fit that mold as well.

8. Da Hema says:

The 70s Habs dynasty had two enforcers: Gilles Lupien and Pierre Bouchard. You are right, ClaytonM, that the 70s Habs were also a tough team with players like Gainey, Jarvis, Risebrough, Tremblay, and Robinson who could hit and be hit.

Do the Habs need an enforcer today? I am not sure. Whenever they lose, it is not usually because they were physically manhandled. Indeed, this year’s team is so much bigger than year’s past, and it shows when they do play against teams like the Flyers who like to think they are goons. This Habs team can handle the hitting. The Habs lose when a third of the team goes to sleep, or someone makes an incredibly stupid play that costs them a goal. An enforcer is not likely to solve that problem.
    “Listen…I’m not dumb. I know very well that I’ll never be part of the Ice Capades.”
    –Gilles Lupien, former Hab defenceman and enforcer

9. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

that dog is wicked!…we should call him up next time we play the laffs,

putting belak and bell on for the last minute…and Carb counters with Kostjr, kostsr, gorges, ribs and something totaling around 159lbs…

actually a good move by Carb again.

bring back the pint…

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

10. TommyB says:

I always thought highly of Paul Maurice as a coach. When he was hired by the Leafs I thought, wow, now they actually have some brains behind the bench and all they need to do is get some youth.

What I would never see with Maurice, is how he acted and handled the media. He was too far away from the spotlight. But in Toronto, he has become a media darling, and it is clear to me that he likes it. Living near enough to Toronto to be constantly bombarded with Leaf propaganda, I have noticed Maurice more and more. What I see, is a conceited *sshole who clearly knows how to manipulate the press. Oh sure, he is always careful to deflect the media wolve’s attention away from his players, but he is also very good at deflecting any attention away from his own performance. In short, he knows how to hand the media a plate of BS, and have them lap it up.

Dave Stubbs, I respect your view of Maurice…but I don’t share it. I see far too much of this guy on my TV screen. I’m not as impressed with him as I was before he went to Toronto.

11. Scotty90 says:

OK Krob / 24 Cups…… I guess the Laffs aren’t worth foaming at the mouth over!

12. cunningdave says:

I wasn’t around or anything, but Fergie Sr. was the enforcer in the sixties through to 71… and he could score a few goals. I guess in the seventies you had Larry R. and Serge Savard. Gainey was no slouch, either. But yeah, doesn’t look like there were any clear enforcers.

13. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I could live with the “phone call away” as long as they get that CALL!

good for ratings at the least, the papers will eat it up. “Habs face Toronto and call up their fighter”….
    or is this a road we don’t want to go down.

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

I second that motion – bring back the pint Scotty!

The Original 24 Cups

15. krob1000 says:

Scotty90 you need to lose the dogs of war and bring back the festive pint. The dogs of war are not needed to deal with a gang of chihuahuas and Marmaduke’s Scotty. What Maurice really needs is a pint or 12 of that festive cureall from youre other pic and then maybe he can just let it all out…….Paul remember this buddy….it’s not your fault!!!it’s not your fault! You can take lemons and make lemonade all you want but eventually someone else takes barley and makes beer.

16. krob1000 says:

Bonneau is right where he is needed – a phone call away. We do not need to dress an enforcer on a regular basis but here and there if need be (as this appears to be what they have in mind) is just fine. Who knows maybe he will develop the skill to one day dress but for now this is enough.

I just read the weekend’s post and I must say congratulations to Chorske for his well thought out booing essay (89% ……well done). Much like Sergei K Chorske has a rare vision and sees the game differently ….he just needs to feel more comfortable..but that is to be expected. We look forward to many more extended thoughts…I do anyway as their are only a few of us real blabberfingers on here. Welcome to the big club. I do have one criticism though…please allow yourself the occasional typo so as to ensure that terrible typers like me don’t look too bad.

I am staying away from Boone’s thread today as there seems to be some sort of trouble brewing amongst our bloggers over there…….I wonder if this has something to do with the Bonneau call-up to the Bulldogs….hmmmmmm.

17. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

The Dawn of the enforcer was the GRETZKY era…1980’s to present day.

True in the 70’s there was no roster spot dedicated to a pure “enforcer”.
    and as you said, those “dynasty years” the teams were so ELITE that
    all physical play was dealt with as a team…just search Youtube for
    some Bench Brawl footage and you’ll see the unthinkable in todays NHL.

BUT…in the modern NHL I find it unthinkable to not have someone who can answer the bell.

Management has done great in all other facets of our game, Speed, Vision, Veteran/Rookie mix, Goaltending, puck control, Defensive size, BUT WHY on the one category of an ENFORCER we rank near the bottom.

CARB and GAINEY had Kordic, Nilan, Ewen.

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

18. ClaytonM says:

I might be wrong, and if so please let me know, but who was their enforcer during their 4 straight in the late 70s? By my recolllection they had a complete team, the best ever, but no real enforcer. Instead they had guys who could take care of themselves and in some cases who could take care of anyone. But no real enforcer. Carbo played with a few like Nilan, Kordic and Ewen, but only Nilan would make the NHL nowadays. Except maybe in toronto or philly.

19. Scotty90 says:

Leafs are a bunch ninnies! Kosti never did anything to McCabe… if anything it was an unfortunate accident. Not sure what Maurice is crying about but it sounds like Kosti may have to look over his shoulder next time they meet. I have changed my relaxed and festive beer drinking picture to my “Dogs of War picture”. Come on Leafs… just try an do something stupid… make our day!

20. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

its a constant battle to survive in the corporate world of the NHL.

Maurice could be a genius…deflecting his pathetic teams performance with an expletive verbal assault against “place name of hab player here” to embellish his “potential loss” or Losses in the coming weeks etc…

Now he can point to “our 30min D” is missing, that was replaced by …etc.
    to cover his hide.

In regards to an enforcer, I don’t believe this incident will prompt management to place one in the lineup….but I ask Mr.BG and Mr.GC again:

so where is ours?

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

21. coutNY says:

We have those pesky type players in Begin and Lapierre… no sense adding more…

I am with you on Breez-bye. Waive him, trade him,or have him push a broom in the halls of the Bell, just don’t put him on the ice anymore during games! I think we all can agree we’d rather see our core of younger players make mistakes and go through a period of growing pains, rather than watch a vetran player make the same mistakes because of their deminishing skills, on the downside of their almost finnished career…

22. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

I would say on the play that Kostitsyn played the puck while McCabe played the man…therefore McCabe’s injury is a consequence of McCabe’s own actions. If the Laffs are yapping that just shows how ridiculous that whole organization is.

Go Habs!

23. fuhgawz says:

ryder for torres —- i sugested that about a month and a half ago ….. good to see there is some people on board now

24. Zoupa says:

They get stuck on the road every year because uncle George packs the Bell Centre with all sorts of expensive shows during the holidays.

It’s all about the money, folks.

25. ClaytonM says:

What does having a Bonneau on our bench accomplish? If he drops them with an enforcer they’re both off for 5 minimum. If he goes after a “star player” like crosby, he and the Habs get a bad rep. That being said, if he can play at the NHL level and not make mistakes that cause scoring chances, having him as an option for the playoffs when things get uglier would help. Meanwhile we still have enough size to handle ourselves. Komisarek, Bouillon, O’Byrne, Hamrlik, Kostopoulos, Begin, and maybe a few surprises up front if things get nasty. They just need someone to show them the tricks of the trade. What is Nilan doing now anyways? His name always comes up in these discussions.

Meanwhile the goal is winning hockey games.

26. Mattee. says:

SlySil, I love the avatar. Where can I get that for my desktop?

27. Mattee. says:

I think we’re making a case for ourselves! Carbonneau has taken it down a couple notches but he does enough talking. Granted, I’d say most of the time he has a point, but you don’t want to get a reputation as a whiner or nobody will take you seriously. I’ve always liked the coaches who bottle their emotions for long periods of time and then one day, they just explode on a ref for an absolutely ridiculous call (or non-call). You know, the ones who stomp up and down the bench, breaking sticks and throwing water bottles and pointing their finger at the opposing coach (or Ref). But you can’t do that too often… I’d say one or two explosions a year.

28. Mattee. says:

I don’t think it was penalty worthy, but I wouldn’t base my decision on the fact that the Fraser & co didn’t make a call. They didn’t see much last game period. Were they even watching the game?! 😛

29. jew4jah says:

the 2 fights they have of bonneau on youtube show him getting his ass kicked. i think the habs are a much better team because of the toughness of komisarek and even kostopoulis at times. do we need an enforcer?
    enforcers are just low class…. think domi or brashear…
    we need someone pesky… someone like avery or barnaby. remember how lyle odelein used to get under the skin of opposing players.
    while i’m ranting… let’s just get rid of brisebois. goodbye and skanks for the memories.
    ryder for torres! good trade? realistic? in the works? i’d like to see it.

30. habsguy says:

it wasn’t McCabe, it was Kyle McClaren

31. ebk says:

don’t think McCabe ever played with Boston. Kyle McLaren might be who you are thinking of.

32. habsguy says:

further to my last post, did it stop Downey from doing what he did because the Sens have McGratton and Neil, NOPE. We don’t need those type of players..

33. Rugger says:

I just watched the video again with my daughter (Alas, a Bruins fan!) and I can’t really even see where AK even hit him! McCabe went into the boards on his own, with AK hitting the boards just in front of him.

34. Chester says:

I remember the McCabe hit on Zednick few years back when he was with Boston. Just about took his head off, and that was OK ….
    What a bunch of whiners.

35. SlySil says:

Its a shame when anyone gets injured in the NHL, but Paul Maurice should think twice before portraying the MASTER OF THE CAN OPENER as an innocent bystander.

36. habsguy says:

We should be asking if he can play. If he’s just here to sit on the bench and every once in a while he stands up to let the other players walk past…I don’t want him, we don’t need him…. Do you really think having a goon sit on the bench stops the other goons from taking liberties, NOPE, did it stop Simon because the Pens have Georges Laraque, NOPE, do you think Belak wouldn’t hit or fight someone on the habs because we have a goon, NOPE.

37. johnnyhab says:

whats the word on this Bonneau guy? tough?size?

38. nick says:

Personally i don’t think Bonneau is ready for the Habs or vice versa… I mean i’m in the boat that thinks we need a guy on the ice who thinks we should have a guy around to make sure no one crosses the peverbial line… my problem is i really don’t know who i’d want to have sit…

39. habsguy says:

I’ve seen the play, and I guess there (could) have been a holding call, he did take his hand off his stick and grab McCabes arm, I’ve seen it called 100’s of times. But as far as dirty…LOL it’s just the leaf way, remember the S.I. article a few years back, it listed the leafs as the most whiney team in pro sports !!!!

40. Blitzen says:

Maurice needs to check out Chris Simon stomping on Ruutu’s foot with his skate…THAT sets the bar for a dirty play.

41. Blitzen says:

JFJ said he didn’t think it was dirty so the Laffs should get their talking points squared up.

42. the_larry says:

Why do the Habs always get stuck with that ridiculous Christmas Road Trip?? That must be so hard on the players going from Atlanta to Dallas, then back to Montreal, and then back to Tampa. Its been like that for years. Why cant they get their annual New Years Eve game back home anymore?

43. Geoff F says:

No doubt about it Dave, anyone in their right mind seeing the video would know that immediately. I mean none of the refs even saw fit to call a penalty so the way it was described could only have been done so through the Jaded lens of a frustrated coach.

Either way too bad for McCabe but the Habs beat the Leafs soundly and there really are no excuses for it. Tired, late flight, snow, cold temperatures, indifference, lack of talent whatever they were beaten soundly and convincingly.