Leafs kick off busy stretch for Habs

• UPDATE, 11:28 am: All present and accounted for, including Plekanec, with the exception of Mara. Butch Bouchard had expressed a desire to see the Brossard facility and again meet Ryan O’Byrne, who gave up his No. 3 for Bouchard’s jersey retirement.

• UPDATE, 11:19 am: Cammalleri on ice with Habs. Legendary former captain Émile (Butch) Bouchard was at the players bench not long ago in his wheelchair. What a place.

• UPDATE, 10:45 am: Habs goalies Halak and Price have been on the ice since 10:15, taking shots from Darche and Maxwell with goalie coach Proulx. Cammalleri’s water bottle is on the boards in front of the bench, suggesting he might practice with the team today for the first time since his knee injury Jan. 30 in Ottawa.

The Canadiens are on Brossard practice ice this morning at 11:30 before chartering to Toronto for Saturday’s game vs. the we’ll-get-’em-next-year Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Air Canada Centre game will begin a stretch of five games in eight nights for Montreal, continuing Monday at home vs. Ottawa, in Buffalo Wednesday, home to Florida on Thursday and home to New Jersey next Saturday. Then, three days off before facing Carolina at home on March 31.

We’ll be at practice today. Updates and audio to come here after the workout; live updates on Twitter here.

1. Led says:

Burke blew up a 29th place team that missed the playoffs, what, 6 years in a row? Gainey blew up a team that was top 8 in the league for the better part of 2 seasons and won the conference the year before. They hit a year end skid brought on by a lot of factors. Being objective, the situations are not very similar. If our season was dismal (it was to us) then what adjective describes how bad the Leafs have been? I’m not trying to absolve the media of their pro-Leaf/anti-Hab bias I’m just saying that both organizations were in totally different situations with totally different expectations.

2. ed lopaz says:

hey buddy, I just read your reply to my post – sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I know I’m not a leaf fan, so…..that only leaves me with one other option according to you..

I must have lost my mind!!

Have a great weekend! and Go Habs Go!!

3. avatar_58 says:

Well see I have a Cammy jersey, Price barbershop + CA and a #58 with my name on it (sadly ironed on and coming off….).

I just REALLY love this guy and want something with his name on it. But yeah no jersey until I know he’s permanent or at least keeping #76. For a $20-30 shirt though I wouldn’t care.

Shame is the NHL store won’t let me customize it that way. Funny enough “PK SUBBAN” works but not “SUBBAN”.

4. HUDSONHAB says:

There is never a sure thing against the Leafs for the Habs. After a few days off the Habs have to get it going quick. Keep it going boys, show the Leafs what a playoff team really looks like.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban wore #6 in Juniors, but Spacek has #6 so unless he gets moved, he’ll have to go higher, 8, 11 (he wouldn’t though), 17, 22(Mara will be gone), 24, 25, 27, 28 are all in the lower numbers region.

27 I think would be cool since it’s generally a Star player number and it’s Niedermayer’s #, one of the best skating defencemen ever and Subban will be a player defined by his skating. Might cause a wee bit of a ruckus with the Kovalev fans though, but I’m sure PK will win ’em over in time.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. crabvader says:

I was actually serious.

He won the Cup! We get drunk cause we’re happy.

In a way, he got us all drunk.

7. Natrous says:

All along you’ve said that we were top 5 in our division?? I don’t know man, those are pretty lofty expectations…

8. Say Ash says:

Oh, I see you love sarcasm

9. Habscore says:

Si!! :) great job but not for everybody, need a lot of patience..hehe

10. andrewberkshire says:

Or choose a Habs legend. Beliveau and #4 for example.

11. smiler2729 says:

Just get one made, I wouldn’t get #76 though, I can see him choosing a more traditional hockey number when he gets established especially with Gauthier running things (see what PG did to Ottawa and their vanity numbers a few years ago).

The best bet is get a Habs sweater, put your favourite number and your name on it, that way it remains relevant forever rather wearing a player’s jersey and he gets traded, etc…

12. TomNickle says:

That’s my point.  It’s the team’s play.  Not his.  He isn’t doing anything right now that Carey Price can’t or hasn’t and he’s being made the hero for a 6 game winning streak that shouldn’t be attributed to him.