Leafs kick off busy stretch for Habs

• UPDATE, 11:28 am: All present and accounted for, including Plekanec, with the exception of Mara. Butch Bouchard had expressed a desire to see the Brossard facility and again meet Ryan O’Byrne, who gave up his No. 3 for Bouchard’s jersey retirement.

• UPDATE, 11:19 am: Cammalleri on ice with Habs. Legendary former captain Émile (Butch) Bouchard was at the players bench not long ago in his wheelchair. What a place.

• UPDATE, 10:45 am: Habs goalies Halak and Price have been on the ice since 10:15, taking shots from Darche and Maxwell with goalie coach Proulx. Cammalleri’s water bottle is on the boards in front of the bench, suggesting he might practice with the team today for the first time since his knee injury Jan. 30 in Ottawa.

The Canadiens are on Brossard practice ice this morning at 11:30 before chartering to Toronto for Saturday’s game vs. the we’ll-get-’em-next-year Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Air Canada Centre game will begin a stretch of five games in eight nights for Montreal, continuing Monday at home vs. Ottawa, in Buffalo Wednesday, home to Florida on Thursday and home to New Jersey next Saturday. Then, three days off before facing Carolina at home on March 31.

We’ll be at practice today. Updates and audio to come here after the workout; live updates on Twitter here.

1. crabvader says:

Well, he captained the team to a Cup and got everyone drunk.

2. Say Ash says:

Funny, I don’t remember…

3. mike g says:

Man, look at that huuuge logo on her t-shirt…

Just beautiful, I guess Leaf lovers understand something nice when they see it too,lol……

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

4. andrewberkshire says:

Ouch, that hurts G-man!

5. andrewberkshire says:

I fly pretty frequently, and I can honestly say that I hate the Trudeau airport more than almost anything else, more than the Bruins. It is a black hole for luggage and the staff are lazy pieces of trash (the outdoor staff). The Pearson fails at having good restaurants, but other than that it’s better than Trudeau.

6. jbroderi says:

not saying he should be in the hall, just that he should be ahead of anything to do with harper, that’s all.

the 1993 comment was good!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

7. ed lopaz says:

How can you speculate as to Gainey telling the coach to play Price?  What information do you have that I don’t?

gainey gave us an insight into his thinking when he took over behind the bench and blindly kept going to price eventhough halak’s wins had brought us to the playoffs. it certainly has the appearance that gainey could have been implicated in forcing carbonneau last year and JM this year to keep playing price eventhough he has been losing consistently since that infamous All Star game

price has played badly and lost – halak has been average the last 6 games and WON – in hockey terms, that’s a big difference.

8. andrewberkshire says:

Wow, what kind of BS veiled attempt at self importance is this? Harper should be ashamed of himself.

9. BoomBoom says:

Mike Brophy is another clown who bashed Gainey for being incompetent. But he loves Burke…he’s another useless journalist

10. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed completely, just thought I’d see more rubbing it in their faces. 17 shots against a team coming off a loss in a back to back, in a must win game… Beyond pathetic. Even our Habs last year after Markov was injured were never that bad.

11. Say Ash says:

Has Carbo ever got you drunk?

12. andrewberkshire says:

We’ve suffered more major injuries this year than Boston, and they were supposed to be an elite team. There are no excuses for their level of suck.

13. Mr.Hazard says:

Is it a fun job? I mean, do you like it? Just out of curiosity lol…

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew, Pearson Airport loses just for being in Toronto, you should know that by now.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. Habscore says:

I work as a flight attendant based in Toronto (but I fly back to MTL in my days off)..and I admire those passengers & employees showing off their blue Laff cap or jersey, despite their “losing” standing.
    So I proudly wear & expose my huge red MTL Canadiens tag on my carry-on in the “Greater” Toronto Airport, and looooovve it!

16. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s the Bruins, we’re just enjoying their failures after all their arrogance last season. Cup favourites, knocking us around all year, propping up Luchicken as the toughest player there was, nice to see their facade revealed.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. G-Man says:

Pffft! Fuddle duddle to you!

18. Mr.Hazard says:

I like your post.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

19. crabvader says:

What an idiot.

20. mrhabby says:

with savard amd kessel gone…can’t really expect much more.

21. SLONCOLD says:

maybe poorly was the wrong word to use. But the guy has been making timely saves which has kept the habs in some games. We both debated the whole halak not being stellar a few threads ago but i mean even with the rebounds and the one stinker game against edmonton he’s still getting the job done.

Maybe halak creates a good buzz with his team mates. Like i said he has made some very key saves that maybe have made the habs says let give it that little extra to help him out.Maybe teh habs have more confidence in halak. Playing hockey as a goalie i can tell you a team looks way better when they trust in their goalie.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

What an arrogant jackass, this is why I can’t stand Harper, things like this.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. TomNickle says:

I am going to bash Harper.  That’s an incredibly vain attempt at getting himself into the Hall of Fame.  He probably thinks that Sidney Crosby buried that goal so that he wouldn’t have to give Obama beer.  I hate that man to my very core and I don’t hate many people.

24. jbroderi says:

They were terrible.  they better worry about atl too, they are right on their tails!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

25. jbroderi says:

I am not going to bash Harper, but why the hell does he think the hockey hall of fame wants beer from the bet he had with Obama.  The workers there will just drink it.  Thoses beer will get in the hall but not Carbonneau.  what a joke!!

have a read!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

26. SLONCOLD says:

u just never know, we’re all assuming the habs keep winning lol they might hit a bit of a wall.

that’s why u have to play the games, but no doubt we’re lookig pretty good on making it:-)

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Doubtful, our current lineup has brought in the wins so likely MAB sits unless there’s a injury/other problem.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. Habscore says:

LOL Love it!!!!

29. Les Habitants says:

Don Cherry Les Canadien?

Should get a real laugh out of this one!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

30. Say Ash says:

MAB playing tomorrow?

31. andrewberkshire says:

I’m surprised that no one has talking about how pathetic the Bruins were last night. Shut out in a must win game that was supposed to have emotion on their side. Absolute disgrace. Reminds me of the Habs last year after losing Markov.

32. forskis says:

BTW did anyone notice, that what Burke did to the Leafs was similar to what Gainey did but just in the middle of the season?  He basically blew up the team and got rid of 10 players…so Burke is a great GM when he blows up a team in the middle of the season, but Gainey is a moron for doing it in the off-season after a dismal season…got to love the double-standards that many on here have…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

33. andrewberkshire says:

Airports or prime ministers? Actually it doesn’t matter, Pearson wins both.

34. BoomBoom says:

Don’t know how long this streak will last or how far these Habs will go in the playoffs but I want to tip my hat off to Bob Gainey. Over the last year, he took a lot of abuse from both the media (especially the french media because he’s english) and the fans. Yet, look at the team today now that it has had time to gel and heal. There is still alot of work to do but he made the hard decisions and felt he was doing what was right for the team. Hats off Mr. Gainey!

P.S: I’ve stopped reading Rejean Tremblay when he came out with his article that the Habs were anti-french. He is a xenophobe and liar who forgets to check facts or uses them out of context to hide the fact he actually knows nothing about hockey. He’s a Nordique fan who craps on the Habs every chance he gets. He compared the Habs to an expansion team at the beginning on the season. He is someone who doesn’t understand 2010 NHL and hockey and still lives in the past. He should look at the development of hockey players in Quebec rather than always blame the Habs as part of an anti-french campaign. Unfortunately, Jack Todd this is moving in the same pathetic direction, as someone who knows nothing about modern hockey but hides behind pathetic muses not backed up by any facts.

35. Top Corner says:

“The Englishers vs. the hated Quebecois, Molson Canadian vs. Molson Export, Pizza Pizza vs. Souvlaki & Poutine, stuck up women vs. the most beautiful stylish women on the planet, 2am closing vs. 3am, red light right turns vs. well, you get the picture.”

HAHAHA—NICE !!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

36. Mike from Ktown says:

Can he even be bought out at his age.  Thought there is a rule in the CBA that is something along the lines of guys over 35 who sign a contract are there for good.  You can’t bury it in the AHL, have them retire, or buy them out.  Maybe I am wrong.

37. TomNickle says:

Habs chances of making the playoffs stood at 94.6% prior to last nights losses by….

I think they may have improved.

38. TomNickle says:

Take in the whole conversation before you jump on what I have to say and put words in my mouth my friend.  If somebody says that Halak is the reason we’ve won 6 in a row I’m fully entitled to voice my opinion that I don’t believe he is.  When people call him Vezina candidates, it makes me upset that I’m part of the same fanbase that could be so delusional.  Quit jumping to conclusions and take my words for what they are.  An opinion that Halak’s play since the break has been average/mediocre/ok/adequate.  Synonyms right there.  Not bad, poor, awful, terrible, inadequate, great, good, fantastic, excellent.  The team has played great in front of him and his play since the break is nowhere near what it was prior to the break(which I predicted would happen due to the length of the season) and certainly isn’t better than what Price came out of the Olympic break with.  Halak has had the distinct advantage of the team playing better in front of him than what they do in front of Price, for whatever reason is irrelevant.  The team must play Halak until that changes.

39. forskis says:

Don’t forget that these same prognosticators said that the Leafs pre-blockbuster trades were going to be a better than the Habs THIS CURRENT SEASON and finish above the team in the standings and that Burke’s team was going to be competitive…

HOWEVER, if the Leafs’ kids and the new roster keep playing like they have lately, I would have no issue with this prediction for NEXT season….

BTW did anyone notice, that what Burke did to the team was similar to what Gainey did but just in the middle of the season?  He basically blew up the team and got rid of 10 players…so Burke is a great GM when he blows up a team in the middle of the season, but Gainey is a moron for doing it in the off-season after a dismal season…got to love the double-standards that many on here have…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

40. bigjames says:

pearson vs trudeau?

41. avatar_58 says:

Anyone know if they sell Subban name-tshirts? I worry about buying a jersey and then PG doing something stupid in the off-season. I would very much love to have a #76 shirt though, especially to wear to bulldogs games.

Thing is the friggen NHL store won’t let me choose roster players for their custom shirts…..and apparently he’s considered one now. :(

42. joeybarrie says:

There are no Guarantees….. This is true, However Boston, Atlanta, New York, and Ottawa would have to win pretty much ALL their next 10 games AND we would have to lose more than 50% to oust us from the Playoffs.

Not the point at any rate. The point is we have fought this season to be where we are. We have been ahead for most of it, and all the games in hand didn’t mean anything. Cause they all didn’t win them all…And as some of us have been saying WINNING THEM is what counts, and we had already WON them.

We play the Leafs twice, Canes twice, Islanders once, Florida once and The Sens once.

We are able to win ALL these games. Plus we can can take 2 of 4 against the Sabres, Devils, and Philly.

If we play like we are now. I see us finishing 5th. Playing against Pitts or Jersey. I think we will finish with 93 to 96 points.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

43. TomNickle says:

Where did I say poorly?

44. mike g says:

Yup, me thinks this too…

Only other teams that can go far, because of goaltending, are Buff and NJ..But, I won’t hold my breath on them.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

45. SeriousFan09 says:

From Stubb’s Twitter, Price and Halak were both on the ice 75 minutes before practice, seems our goaltenders have playoffs in sight and want to get their games to their best in time for it. Also, Cammalleri is hitting the ice with the Habs! Rock ‘n Roll, let’s hope for a return against the Sens.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. Rudy says:

It has been said many times that the best place to play when you’re winning is Mtl. and the worst place when you’re losing (Higgins being told “you guys suck”) For many of the new Habs, this is their first look at winning in Mtl. and what it’s like, they don’t want to go back, this is when the city really boosts these guys (until they lose two games :)

47. SeriousFan09 says:

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. TomNickle says:

I think next year you’re going to see a clearly defined shut down line with Martin’s group.  I think they’ll re-sign Moore or bring Ryan White up for good to settle into that role accompanied by a Sergei Kostitsyn and maybe even a Pyatt.  I think they’ll be trying to give our top 2 lines better matchups in game.

49. mike g says:

Very true, very nice…

The past I retained the most, ” the most beautiful stylish women on the planet”….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

50. mrhabby says:

i have a neighbour who is laff die hard.. i love nothing better than to fly my large HABS flag the nex day. i attach it to a tree on my front lawn..its always a good laugh.

51. forskis says:

Nice take by Jim Hughson on all things this coming Saturday night.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

52. HabFanSince72 says:

“Too many men on the ice.”

53. TomNickle says:

Penguins are the only scary team for my money.  Everybody else can beaten, and beaten quickly.

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs have enjoyed their victories over Montreal in recent years because Montreal has had trouble bringing their best game against them. If the Canadiens play as they have in March, they will walk out of the ACC with two points and reminding the Leafs they are well behind the real competition. That’s the big question mark for Saturday, can the Canadiens find their game and play it for 60 minutes? If so, it’s a win.

Leafs call up their brats every season and it’s the same story, they put on a decent show, everyone talks about how great the future is (I remember the same nonsense the last two years) and then they get a dose of reality the following October.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. mrhabby says:

true on that…the laffs season is over but would love nothng else to make life hard for us. they always play us tough. this game will be no cake walk. the guys they have want to prove they can stay with the club for next year and beyond.

56. mike g says:

I don’t know if the Habs would bite either……

But do you think he would play a 3rd line role, 12-13 minutes per game, with 2nd wave PP time? Play him with Sergei and Moore for example…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

57. SLONCOLD says:

man give it up on halak and him playing poorly…. he’s helping the team win….

58. Mike T says:

i also live close to laff nation…you hit the nail right on the head with this one!

59. joeybarrie says:

THANKS, now i need to go get Souvlaki and Poutine for Lunch………

I think the Habs being well rested from the Olympic break, the only break we have had all year, and our injured players back in the lineup are starting to show what they can do. The players like the time right now, and will come out hard. They want to prove themselves for the playoffs. Gainey went out and picked players who he though would have chemistry. These guys signed here to WIN. And we are finally showing that we can do it…

At least we know we can….. Even if we don’t we will go down skating hard. That’s enough for me for right now. Cause I know we are on our way BACK UP……

No doubt in my mind we could be up there with New Jersey, Buffalo and Pittsburgh if we had Gio, Markov, Camma, Spacek for most of the season. It would have only taken 4 more wins and 2 more ties…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. mike g says:

7 breakaways for the opposition on your own PP’s is disgusting lolol…

Ottawa’s overall defense looked terrible. Michalek got hurt, maybe long term leg injury. Spezza’s got as much heart at the Tin Man. The rest of the guys just look like they play for the fun of it.

It’s crazy, in the NHL today you don’t have to be good to make the playoffs. Go on a crazy roll like they went on pre-Olympic break, play just above .500 hockey the rest of the year and you’re in. Alot of teams in the East look like crap going into the postseason this year…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

61. TomNickle says:

If he came knocking I don’t think I’d open the door.  Having him might take the pressure off of others but it could blow up in their faces bigtime.

62. silent_witness says:

well said

-Win with the Habs, Die with Habs… GO HABS GO for Life

63. SLONCOLD says:

in all honesty if you thought they would win 6 in a row and 7 out of 8 after the break especialy after losing back to back games against the flyers,i would have said you’re crazy. There is a lot of hockey left to be played and no wins that you can count on. Lots of teams will want to play spoilers and the others are fighting for their playoff hopes/positioning.

it’s good to be excited as am i right now but i wouldn’t say we’re a guaranteed a spot just yet.

64. TomNickle says:

Haha, absolutely!  The team in front of Halak has been far superior to the team in front of Price.  Anaheim game is a perfect example.  And yeah, Halak certainly won some games for the team.

65. joeybarrie says:

I havent seen much difference in Halak and Price this season. I have HOWEVER seen alot of difference in the team in front of them. Dont get me wrong though. Halak has won a few games for us, that we had no business winning. Price too, but Halak has stepped in up this season…

But thats the thing, doesnt matter if we out shoot the teams 45-10, as long as we win, there will be HERO’s that don’t reflect reality. I think they call that Habsdom…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

66. mike g says:

Since he joined the Rangers earlier in the decade, he’s played for 2 other teams. Us, and the Sens.

The only team he’s had success with over the past decade is the Habs. In New York he was a bust, and he is exactly that in Ottawa. He made our PP spectacular, and was a great playoff player.

I’m not saying I’d change anything from our roster, or that we’d go after him. But don’t be surprised if he’s baught-out and comes knocking at BG and PG’s door, asking to play in the only city that still loves him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

67. TomNickle says:

I too watched it and couldn’t control my laughter.  They are awful.  I was having a discussion with somebody about a week ago and pointing out that their success this season has been smoke in mirrors.  When they couldn’t score their goaltending was great and when their goaltending was terrible they were scoring.  It’s all caught up with them now and they’re being exposed for what they really are.

68. mike g says:

And Ottawa’s powerplay doesn’t need Kovalev. Last night was such a disgusting game if you’re a Sens fan. Kovy never even touches the puck on the PP, it’s all Alfie or Spezza. Nobody even looks for Kovalev……

And btw, if they’re looking for a reason why they can’t score on the PP, it’s because they’re spending the whole time in their own zone. Their forwards stay at the other teams blueline and just wait for a stretch-pass. And watching the game last night I was laughing so much. Against Atlanta, that’s right the Thrashers, they gave up 7 short handed breakaways. 7! Atlanta was killing penalities, and getting one breakaway on each PK. It was rediculous, and Elliot wasn’t even making the saves. Often the Thrashers missed the net. So that game could have finished 10-3 in favor of the Thrash.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

69. TomNickle says:

Popular opinion is easy and the bandwagon isn’t that high of a jump.  I say that Halak’s been mediocre since the Olympics and I get attacked by guys who think he’s a Vezina candidate.  They don’t understand reality.

70. smiler2729 says:

Good point but… no.

71. smiler2729 says:

Beware the Leafs.

I’m an ex-Montrealer living in Leafland. Since I love the game, I watch a lot of Toronto games and hear their local call-in shows so I can tell you Laff Nation is all giddy and they don’t know why.

They’ve won 5 in a row at home, they beat New Jersey last night (Yann Danis again! The Leafs always face the backups for some… strange… reason, imagine that!) and think their crap don’t stink. Suddenly Ron Wilson’s a genius and Brian Burke is a saviour.

For the 5th season in a row, they’re out of the playoffs and putting together a win stretch when the pressure is off. This time is a little different, their young callups are a helluva lot more effective than the bored veterans of the other years.

There’s a hunger and Montreal better take this game very seriously cuz to dumb Leaf fans, this is their Stanley Cup on Saturday night on HNIC. The Englishers vs. the hated Quebecois, Molson Canadian vs. Molson Export, Pizza Pizza vs. Souvlaki & Poutine, stuck up women vs. the most beautiful stylish women on the planet, 2am closing vs. 3am, red light right turns vs. well, you get the picture.

I think this version of the Habs, being more North American, have a better understanding of the rivalry than the previous European squads so let’s beat the SH*T outta ’em Saturday night!

72. Xtrahabsfan says:

If we lose to the Laff’s tomorrow you’ll be one of those whining Trolls !

73. TomNickle says:

No different than 2 of the seasons he had here Mike.  He had one consistent year with this team.  The rest was what you’re seeing in Ottawa.

74. joeybarrie says:

It’s funny after a loss, I dread coming in here. BUT I DO ANYWAYS. Glutton for punishment, as I am a TRUE Habs fan I come by this naturally.

I looked up a few stats.  Team that went out (including Koivu, Streit, etc) 0.42 points per game this season.

Team that came in (including Metro, Pouliot, etc) 0.50 points per game this season.

Again, yes Gainey has done so many BAD things here in montreal that we are doomed for failure for the next 100 years. Or is it that maybe we finally have a BASE of players to make a good run to getting a GREAT team back. Alot of our talent have long contracts. The light has been BRIGHT, and continues to shine as we hand in down from failing hands…..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…