Leafs kick off busy stretch for Habs

• UPDATE, 11:28 am: All present and accounted for, including Plekanec, with the exception of Mara. Butch Bouchard had expressed a desire to see the Brossard facility and again meet Ryan O’Byrne, who gave up his No. 3 for Bouchard’s jersey retirement.

• UPDATE, 11:19 am: Cammalleri on ice with Habs. Legendary former captain Émile (Butch) Bouchard was at the players bench not long ago in his wheelchair. What a place.

• UPDATE, 10:45 am: Habs goalies Halak and Price have been on the ice since 10:15, taking shots from Darche and Maxwell with goalie coach Proulx. Cammalleri’s water bottle is on the boards in front of the bench, suggesting he might practice with the team today for the first time since his knee injury Jan. 30 in Ottawa.

The Canadiens are on Brossard practice ice this morning at 11:30 before chartering to Toronto for Saturday’s game vs. the we’ll-get-‘em-next-year Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Air Canada Centre game will begin a stretch of five games in eight nights for Montreal, continuing Monday at home vs. Ottawa, in Buffalo Wednesday, home to Florida on Thursday and home to New Jersey next Saturday. Then, three days off before facing Carolina at home on March 31.

We’ll be at practice today. Updates and audio to come here after the workout; live updates on Twitter here.

1. crabvader says:

I was actually serious.

He won the Cup! We get drunk cause we’re happy.

In a way, he got us all drunk.

2. Natrous says:

All along you’ve said that we were top 5 in our division?? I don’t know man, those are pretty lofty expectations…

3. Say Ash says:

Oh, I see you love sarcasm

4. Habscore says:

Si!! :) great job but not for everybody, need a lot of patience..hehe

5. andrewberkshire says:

Or choose a Habs legend. Beliveau and #4 for example.

6. smiler2729 says:

Just get one made, I wouldn’t get #76 though, I can see him choosing a more traditional hockey number when he gets established especially with Gauthier running things (see what PG did to Ottawa and their vanity numbers a few years ago).

The best bet is get a Habs sweater, put your favourite number and your name on it, that way it remains relevant forever rather wearing a player’s jersey and he gets traded, etc…

7. TomNickle says:

That’s my point.  It’s the team’s play.  Not his.  He isn’t doing anything right now that Carey Price can’t or hasn’t and he’s being made the hero for a 6 game winning streak that shouldn’t be attributed to him.

8. crabvader says:

Well, he captained the team to a Cup and got everyone drunk.

9. Say Ash says:

Funny, I don’t remember…

10. mike g says:

Man, look at that huuuge logo on her t-shirt…

Just beautiful, I guess Leaf lovers understand something nice when they see it too,lol……

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

11. andrewberkshire says:

Ouch, that hurts G-man!

12. andrewberkshire says:

I fly pretty frequently, and I can honestly say that I hate the Trudeau airport more than almost anything else, more than the Bruins. It is a black hole for luggage and the staff are lazy pieces of trash (the outdoor staff). The Pearson fails at having good restaurants, but other than that it’s better than Trudeau.

13. jbroderi says:

not saying he should be in the hall, just that he should be ahead of anything to do with harper, that’s all.

the 1993 comment was good!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

14. ed lopaz says:

How can you speculate as to Gainey telling the coach to play Price?  What information do you have that I don’t?

gainey gave us an insight into his thinking when he took over behind the bench and blindly kept going to price eventhough halak’s wins had brought us to the playoffs. it certainly has the appearance that gainey could have been implicated in forcing carbonneau last year and JM this year to keep playing price eventhough he has been losing consistently since that infamous All Star game

price has played badly and lost – halak has been average the last 6 games and WON – in hockey terms, that’s a big difference.

15. andrewberkshire says:

Wow, what kind of BS veiled attempt at self importance is this? Harper should be ashamed of himself.

16. BoomBoom says:

Mike Brophy is another clown who bashed Gainey for being incompetent. But he loves Burke…he’s another useless journalist

17. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed completely, just thought I’d see more rubbing it in their faces. 17 shots against a team coming off a loss in a back to back, in a must win game… Beyond pathetic. Even our Habs last year after Markov was injured were never that bad.

18. Say Ash says:

Has Carbo ever got you drunk?

19. andrewberkshire says:

We’ve suffered more major injuries this year than Boston, and they were supposed to be an elite team. There are no excuses for their level of suck.

20. Mr.Hazard says:

Is it a fun job? I mean, do you like it? Just out of curiosity lol…

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew, Pearson Airport loses just for being in Toronto, you should know that by now.

22. Habscore says:

I work as a flight attendant based in Toronto (but I fly back to MTL in my days off)..and I admire those passengers & employees showing off their blue Laff cap or jersey, despite their “losing” standing.
    So I proudly wear & expose my huge red MTL Canadiens tag on my carry-on in the “Greater” Toronto Airport, and looooovve it!

23. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s the Bruins, we’re just enjoying their failures after all their arrogance last season. Cup favourites, knocking us around all year, propping up Luchicken as the toughest player there was, nice to see their facade revealed.

24. G-Man says:

Pffft! Fuddle duddle to you!

25. Mr.Hazard says:

I like your post.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

26. crabvader says:

What an idiot.

27. mrhabby says:

with savard amd kessel gone…can’t really expect much more.

28. SLONCOLD says:

maybe poorly was the wrong word to use. But the guy has been making timely saves which has kept the habs in some games. We both debated the whole halak not being stellar a few threads ago but i mean even with the rebounds and the one stinker game against edmonton he’s still getting the job done.

Maybe halak creates a good buzz with his team mates. Like i said he has made some very key saves that maybe have made the habs says let give it that little extra to help him out.Maybe teh habs have more confidence in halak. Playing hockey as a goalie i can tell you a team looks way better when they trust in their goalie.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

What an arrogant jackass, this is why I can’t stand Harper, things like this.

30. TomNickle says:

I am going to bash Harper.  That’s an incredibly vain attempt at getting himself into the Hall of Fame.  He probably thinks that Sidney Crosby buried that goal so that he wouldn’t have to give Obama beer.  I hate that man to my very core and I don’t hate many people.

31. jbroderi says:

They were terrible.  they better worry about atl too, they are right on their tails!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

32. Led says:

Burke blew up a 29th place team that missed the playoffs, what, 6 years in a row? Gainey blew up a team that was top 8 in the league for the better part of 2 seasons and won the conference the year before. They hit a year end skid brought on by a lot of factors. Being objective, the situations are not very similar. If our season was dismal (it was to us) then what adjective describes how bad the Leafs have been? I’m not trying to absolve the media of their pro-Leaf/anti-Hab bias I’m just saying that both organizations were in totally different situations with totally different expectations.

33. jbroderi says:

I am not going to bash Harper, but why the hell does he think the hockey hall of fame wants beer from the bet he had with Obama.  The workers there will just drink it.  Thoses beer will get in the hall but not Carbonneau.  what a joke!!

have a read!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

34. SLONCOLD says:

u just never know, we’re all assuming the habs keep winning lol they might hit a bit of a wall.

that’s why u have to play the games, but no doubt we’re lookig pretty good on making it:-)

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Doubtful, our current lineup has brought in the wins so likely MAB sits unless there’s a injury/other problem.

36. Habscore says:

LOL Love it!!!!

37. Les Habitants says:

Don Cherry Les Canadien?

Should get a real laugh out of this one!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

38. Say Ash says:

MAB playing tomorrow?

39. andrewberkshire says:

I’m surprised that no one has talking about how pathetic the Bruins were last night. Shut out in a must win game that was supposed to have emotion on their side. Absolute disgrace. Reminds me of the Habs last year after losing Markov.

40. forskis says:

BTW did anyone notice, that what Burke did to the Leafs was similar to what Gainey did but just in the middle of the season?  He basically blew up the team and got rid of 10 players…so Burke is a great GM when he blows up a team in the middle of the season, but Gainey is a moron for doing it in the off-season after a dismal season…got to love the double-standards that many on here have…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

41. andrewberkshire says:

Airports or prime ministers? Actually it doesn’t matter, Pearson wins both.

42. BoomBoom says:

Don’t know how long this streak will last or how far these Habs will go in the playoffs but I want to tip my hat off to Bob Gainey. Over the last year, he took a lot of abuse from both the media (especially the french media because he’s english) and the fans. Yet, look at the team today now that it has had time to gel and heal. There is still alot of work to do but he made the hard decisions and felt he was doing what was right for the team. Hats off Mr. Gainey!

P.S: I’ve stopped reading Rejean Tremblay when he came out with his article that the Habs were anti-french. He is a xenophobe and liar who forgets to check facts or uses them out of context to hide the fact he actually knows nothing about hockey. He’s a Nordique fan who craps on the Habs every chance he gets. He compared the Habs to an expansion team at the beginning on the season. He is someone who doesn’t understand 2010 NHL and hockey and still lives in the past. He should look at the development of hockey players in Quebec rather than always blame the Habs as part of an anti-french campaign. Unfortunately, Jack Todd this is moving in the same pathetic direction, as someone who knows nothing about modern hockey but hides behind pathetic muses not backed up by any facts.

43. Top Corner says:

“The Englishers vs. the hated Quebecois, Molson Canadian vs. Molson Export, Pizza Pizza vs. Souvlaki & Poutine, stuck up women vs. the most beautiful stylish women on the planet, 2am closing vs. 3am, red light right turns vs. well, you get the picture.”

HAHAHA—NICE !!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

44. Mike from Ktown says:

Can he even be bought out at his age.  Thought there is a rule in the CBA that is something along the lines of guys over 35 who sign a contract are there for good.  You can’t bury it in the AHL, have them retire, or buy them out.  Maybe I am wrong.

45. TomNickle says:

Habs chances of making the playoffs stood at 94.6% prior to last nights losses by….

Senators

Bruins

Lightning

Rangers

I think they may have improved.

46. TomNickle says:

Take in the whole conversation before you jump on what I have to say and put words in my mouth my friend.  If somebody says that Halak is the reason we’ve won 6 in a row I’m fully entitled to voice my opinion that I don’t believe he is.  When people call him Vezina candidates, it makes me upset that I’m part of the same fanbase that could be so delusional.  Quit jumping to conclusions and take my words for what they are.  An opinion that Halak’s play since the break has been average/mediocre/ok/adequate.  Synonyms right there.  Not bad, poor, awful, terrible, inadequate, great, good, fantastic, excellent.  The team has played great in front of him and his play since the break is nowhere near what it was prior to the break(which I predicted would happen due to the length of the season) and certainly isn’t better than what Price came out of the Olympic break with.  Halak has had the distinct advantage of the team playing better in front of him than what they do in front of Price, for whatever reason is irrelevant.  The team must play Halak until that changes.

47. forskis says:

Don’t forget that these same prognosticators said that the Leafs pre-blockbuster trades were going to be a better than the Habs THIS CURRENT SEASON and finish above the team in the standings and that Burke’s team was going to be competitive…

HOWEVER, if the Leafs’ kids and the new roster keep playing like they have lately, I would have no issue with this prediction for NEXT season….

BTW did anyone notice, that what Burke did to the team was similar to what Gainey did but just in the middle of the season?  He basically blew up the team and got rid of 10 players…so Burke is a great GM when he blows up a team in the middle of the season, but Gainey is a moron for doing it in the off-season after a dismal season…got to love the double-standards that many on here have…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

48. bigjames says:

pearson vs trudeau?

49. avatar_58 says:

Anyone know if they sell Subban name-tshirts? I worry about buying a jersey and then PG doing something stupid in the off-season. I would very much love to have a #76 shirt though, especially to wear to bulldogs games.

Thing is the friggen NHL store won’t let me choose roster players for their custom shirts…..and apparently he’s considered one now. :(

50. joeybarrie says:

There are no Guarantees….. This is true, However Boston, Atlanta, New York, and Ottawa would have to win pretty much ALL their next 10 games AND we would have to lose more than 50% to oust us from the Playoffs.

Not the point at any rate. The point is we have fought this season to be where we are. We have been ahead for most of it, and all the games in hand didn’t mean anything. Cause they all didn’t win them all…And as some of us have been saying WINNING THEM is what counts, and we had already WON them.

We play the Leafs twice, Canes twice, Islanders once, Florida once and The Sens once.

We are able to win ALL these games. Plus we can can take 2 of 4 against the Sabres, Devils, and Philly.

If we play like we are now. I see us finishing 5th. Playing against Pitts or Jersey. I think we will finish with 93 to 96 points.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

51. TomNickle says:

Where did I say poorly?

52. mike g says:

Yup, me thinks this too…

Only other teams that can go far, because of goaltending, are Buff and NJ..But, I won’t hold my breath on them.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

53. SeriousFan09 says:

From Stubb’s Twitter, Price and Halak were both on the ice 75 minutes before practice, seems our goaltenders have playoffs in sight and want to get their games to their best in time for it. Also, Cammalleri is hitting the ice with the Habs! Rock ‘n Roll, let’s hope for a return against the Sens.

54. Rudy says:

It has been said many times that the best place to play when you’re winning is Mtl. and the worst place when you’re losing (Higgins being told “you guys suck”) For many of the new Habs, this is their first look at winning in Mtl. and what it’s like, they don’t want to go back, this is when the city really boosts these guys (until they lose two games :)

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Double

56. TomNickle says:

I think next year you’re going to see a clearly defined shut down line with Martin’s group.  I think they’ll re-sign Moore or bring Ryan White up for good to settle into that role accompanied by a Sergei Kostitsyn and maybe even a Pyatt.  I think they’ll be trying to give our top 2 lines better matchups in game.

57. mike g says:

Very true, very nice…

The past I retained the most, ” the most beautiful stylish women on the planet”….

THAT IS A FACT!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

58. mrhabby says:

i have a neighbour who is laff die hard.. i love nothing better than to fly my large HABS flag the nex day. i attach it to a tree on my front lawn..its always a good laugh.

59. forskis says:

Nice take by Jim Hughson on all things this coming Saturday night.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

60. HabFanSince72 says:

“Too many men on the ice.”

61. TomNickle says:

Penguins are the only scary team for my money.  Everybody else can beaten, and beaten quickly.

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs have enjoyed their victories over Montreal in recent years because Montreal has had trouble bringing their best game against them. If the Canadiens play as they have in March, they will walk out of the ACC with two points and reminding the Leafs they are well behind the real competition. That’s the big question mark for Saturday, can the Canadiens find their game and play it for 60 minutes? If so, it’s a win.

Leafs call up their brats every season and it’s the same story, they put on a decent show, everyone talks about how great the future is (I remember the same nonsense the last two years) and then they get a dose of reality the following October.

63. mrhabby says:

true on that…the laffs season is over but would love nothng else to make life hard for us. they always play us tough. this game will be no cake walk. the guys they have want to prove they can stay with the club for next year and beyond.

64. mike g says:

I don’t know if the Habs would bite either……

But do you think he would play a 3rd line role, 12-13 minutes per game, with 2nd wave PP time? Play him with Sergei and Moore for example…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

65. SLONCOLD says:

man give it up on halak and him playing poorly…. he’s helping the team win….

66. Mike T says:

i also live close to laff nation…you hit the nail right on the head with this one!

67. joeybarrie says:

THANKS, now i need to go get Souvlaki and Poutine for Lunch………

I think the Habs being well rested from the Olympic break, the only break we have had all year, and our injured players back in the lineup are starting to show what they can do. The players like the time right now, and will come out hard. They want to prove themselves for the playoffs. Gainey went out and picked players who he though would have chemistry. These guys signed here to WIN. And we are finally showing that we can do it…

At least we know we can….. Even if we don’t we will go down skating hard. That’s enough for me for right now. Cause I know we are on our way BACK UP……

No doubt in my mind we could be up there with New Jersey, Buffalo and Pittsburgh if we had Gio, Markov, Camma, Spacek for most of the season. It would have only taken 4 more wins and 2 more ties…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

68. mike g says:

7 breakaways for the opposition on your own PP’s is disgusting lolol…

Ottawa’s overall defense looked terrible. Michalek got hurt, maybe long term leg injury. Spezza’s got as much heart at the Tin Man. The rest of the guys just look like they play for the fun of it.

It’s crazy, in the NHL today you don’t have to be good to make the playoffs. Go on a crazy roll like they went on pre-Olympic break, play just above .500 hockey the rest of the year and you’re in. Alot of teams in the East look like crap going into the postseason this year…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

69. TomNickle says:

If he came knocking I don’t think I’d open the door.  Having him might take the pressure off of others but it could blow up in their faces bigtime.

70. silent_witness says:

well said

-Win with the Habs, Die with Habs… GO HABS GO for Life

71. SLONCOLD says:

in all honesty if you thought they would win 6 in a row and 7 out of 8 after the break especialy after losing back to back games against the flyers,i would have said you’re crazy. There is a lot of hockey left to be played and no wins that you can count on. Lots of teams will want to play spoilers and the others are fighting for their playoff hopes/positioning.

it’s good to be excited as am i right now but i wouldn’t say we’re a guaranteed a spot just yet.

72. TomNickle says:

Haha, absolutely!  The team in front of Halak has been far superior to the team in front of Price.  Anaheim game is a perfect example.  And yeah, Halak certainly won some games for the team.

73. joeybarrie says:

I havent seen much difference in Halak and Price this season. I have HOWEVER seen alot of difference in the team in front of them. Dont get me wrong though. Halak has won a few games for us, that we had no business winning. Price too, but Halak has stepped in up this season…

But thats the thing, doesnt matter if we out shoot the teams 45-10, as long as we win, there will be HERO’s that don’t reflect reality. I think they call that Habsdom…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

74. mike g says:

Since he joined the Rangers earlier in the decade, he’s played for 2 other teams. Us, and the Sens.

The only team he’s had success with over the past decade is the Habs. In New York he was a bust, and he is exactly that in Ottawa. He made our PP spectacular, and was a great playoff player.

I’m not saying I’d change anything from our roster, or that we’d go after him. But don’t be surprised if he’s baught-out and comes knocking at BG and PG’s door, asking to play in the only city that still loves him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

75. mike g says:

And LA will laugh for so long at that trade offer, that their long-distance phone bill will exceed $10,000.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

76. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

good post – correct. he is the real KOMI that we wanted, tough strong defenseman… saw it at the start.

77. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

we have a great team ‘fermenting’ here…. generally its always been this way with this franchise, but there is something potentially magical about this team in 2 years…. A guy like ‘Metro’ may be gone, maybe a ‘Gill’, but with Subban, Pyatt, Darche, White, Wyman, PAX honing their skills, and Pleks/Gomez/Camm/Gionta/Pouli and the Kosty bros, with Moore/Moen, and Laps increasing his wisdom….

boy, something tells me we could be in for a great ride to the finals…. and of course, HALAK is in his prime right now ( I saw this coming from the Huet days) and Price is just around the corner…

great times for the Habs…and better coming…enjoy!

1:The N.A.G. (North American Grit) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2:The NHL-Ref-Syndicate will do everything in its power to never allow the HABS to win another Stanley Cup. 3:Take it easy on the boys, they are going 110%

78. Led says:

Maybe. It’s really odd, though, that Lou has been pulled 7 times this year (4 in his last 14). His worst season in Van, yet on the whole they look the best they have in years and he won an Olympic gold. They’ve done it with a lot of injuries too, especially on D. I would say that Lou’s “shaky” play and the recent injury to Samuelson give them some question marks. On the whole, however, a strong team.

79. TomNickle says:

Six year contract extension for Ryan Kesler!

That team is going to the Cup.

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Could be, but if they run into the Hawks in the playoffs, they are a team notorious for having Luongo’s number…

I’m calling it now, no prediction will get the Stanley Cup Finals team right. Too many wild cards going in and question marks about all the competing teams.

81. Say Ash says:

He should be captain

82. Led says:

Really? How the hell is he a -16 when he’s top 10 in points?

83. TomNickle says:

Sorry, Mike Richards.

84. KGB_AKA4787 says:

Saturday the 20th Leave Markov home, another disaster and I’m just tossing the throne

I guess the Leafs like # 79

lets just hope that Andrei be fine,

every habs town patriot will bring out the flags,

let them breath the wind of your very own car

honk ur horn baby its HABS all night

even till the very last playoff fight

let not be sore losers and trash the streets

but respect the team that Lord Stanley greets

and there’s always next season

to believe in so many resaons

this spring though its beer n finger lickin wings

my 61 inch, surrond sound yeah we the kings

until ur girl tells you ok go shave ur fkin beard

u know its over until next fkin year

85. TomNickle says:

My NHL awards regardless of what happens between now and the conclusion of the regular season.

Hart Trophy–Drew Doughty(if by definition the award goes to the player most valuable to his team is there any argument that Doughty is the most valuable?  The pens have been successful without Crosby and the Capitals without Ovechkin.  Doughty’s emergence has propelled the Kings from out of the playoffs last year to a certainty this season)

other nominees:  Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin

Norris Trophy–Duncan Keith(Doughty wins the Hart due to his value to the Kings, not because he’s the best defenseman in the league.  Keith is the best all around defeseman in the game, he excels in all areas where others candidates don’t)

other nominees:  Mike Green and Drew Doughty

Selke Trophy-Jonathan Toews(+22 as of Sunday against everybody’s top line and one of the league’s best faceoff men to boot)

other nominees: Pavel Datsyuk and Brad Richards

Vezina Trophy–Ilya Bryzgalov(No team in the NHL has been more reliant on one goaltender for it’s success, without Bryzgalov, the Coyotes aren’t in the playoffs let alone competing for 1st in the Western Conference)

other nominees:  Tomas Vokoun and Evgeni Nabakov

Calder Trophy–Tyler Myers(He is the most important defenseman on a team dependent on defense first and timely scoring.  He is amongst the league leaders in rookie point scoring and a shutdown defenseman on a team in the top 5 in goals against this season)

other nominees:  Jonathan Tavares and Matt Duchesne

Jack Adams Trophy–Joe Sacco(a lot of people will argue Dave Tippet but is there any pressure to win in the dessert?  Sacco has taken a younger and more inexperienced lineup and put it comfortably into the playoffs).

other nominees:  Dave Tippet and Terry Murray

86. smiler2729 says:

Cool. And the best part is seeing all the new names replacing the tired old mainstays…

87. jbroderi says:

good arguments for all, but i think miller from buffalo could be considered for at least the vesina if not the hart, based on the critieria.  That being said, a case could be made for a lot of different guys.

I am too lazy to do much more than just agree with your post!!

“Do the day and let the day do you” JB

88. andrewberkshire says:

Brad Richards (-16) for the Selke over Plekanec?

No mention of Ryan Miller for the Vezina?

89. HFX-HabFan says:

Hart – Crosby if the Pens win their divison (Ovechkin, Miller as finalists)

Vezina – Miller (Brodeur, Nabokov)

Norris – Keith (Pronger, Green)

Calder – Myers (Howard, Duchene)

Selke – Kesler (Datsyuk, Toews)

Byng – Datsyuk (St. Louis, Kane)

Adams – Tippett (Sacco, Ruff)

1st All-Star Team: Miller, Keith, Green, Ovechkin, Crosby, St. Louis

2nd All-Star Team: Brodeur, Pronger, Doughty, Parise, H Sedin, Gaborik

All-Rookie Team: Howard, Myers, Del Zotto, Duchene, Bergfors, Tavares

90. SeriousFan09 says:

- I think Miller should be an outstanding Hart Nominee considering what he’s done for the Sabres this year.

- Norris, I would agree with those choices.

- Selke, you have to put Ryan Kesler in that category I think, he’s been better as a D-Forward than Richards this yaer.

- Vezina, Miller has to go ahead of Nabokov and should be a favourite, but Bryzgalov has done a lot for the Coyotes so that’s a tough call for me.

- Calder, agree with the Myers choice, but replace Tavares with Jimmy Howard in Detroit as a nominee.

- Adams, you really can’t argue with those choices.

91. crabvader says:

Some good choices you have there.

I’d have Miller winning the Hart because let’s face it, without him, Buffalo is dead. LA could survive without Doughty…maybe not all too well, but they could still make the playoffs.

Keith is good for Norris. I don’t like Green just because he’s not a good defensive guy. He’s great offensively but he’s pretty average on the back end of things.

Completely agree with Toews for Selke.

Vezina, I’d have to go for Miller again. His GAA and save % are still better than Bryzgalov’s (not by much!) but still. Again, same argument for the Hart trophy… without him, there are no Sabres this year.

Myers is definitely the best candidate for Calder this year. Matt Duchene (not like Steve Duchesne :P) is pretty high up there too simply because he has been a key factor for the Colorado ressurgence.

Jack Adams; I like your choice. Dave Tippett could be up there aswell as you said. What about Ron Wilson? Come on! hahaha

92. Say Ash says:

The thing with the Hart is, every team can probably come up with a player that, to them, is their most valuable – what that value entails, exactly, is another story. How you then compare those choices across teams is pretty arbitrary.

Is Mr A. more valuable because with him, his team goes from 8th place to winning the conference or is Mr. B more valuable because without him, his team finishes out of the playoffs instead of in them. Tought to say.

93. Wops says:

Don’t forget Jim Howard for the Calder trophy… 51 games in net, 0.923 2.32 GAA, Detroit finally has a goalie…

I think its between Howard and Myers.

p.s. sorry I didn’t read lower posts….

94. JD_ says:

You hit a guy without the puck, you could kill a guy. Awright? It’s the most dangerous hit in the history of the game. Awright? And he tried to hurt him. Awright?” – Chicago head coach Dennis Farina reacting to Duck James Wiesniewski’s murder attempt on Hawk Brent Seabrook

I’d also quote Weaselniewski from his very lame TSN interview except for the fact that he’s laughably unquotable.

If you watch the TSN piece, you may begin experiencing some difficulty understanding what James is trying to say during the portion where he’s being interviewed. For that reason, I’ve developed this handy translation:

“Man, I’m trying very hard not to cry right now. I came in there with elbows up and crosschecked him [Seabrook] in the head. We’re having this conversation cause I tried to kill the guy. I play like a lowlife. Like I said, I wanted him dead. I knew he didn’t have the puck and the best way to try to kill a guy is hit him when he doesn’t have the puck and isn’t ready. Maybe if I call him ‘Seebs’ everyone will think my murder attempt was ok. F***, I’m a complete a-hole.”

Very lame.

95. andrewberkshire says:

I find the whole “I didn’t mean to hurt him” garbage after every dirty hit even more annoying that the actual dirty hit. No one is actually going to say they meant to hurt someone.

96. smiler2729 says:

Dennis Farina lol, good one. Weaselniewski, lol, another good one.

97. punkster says:

Best Dennis Farina role ever? Ray Barboni.

98. 123456 says:

yes miller is huge, plus he got a lot of coverage in teh olympics.

i do think the sabres myers is overrated – he is good and gets a lot of ice time but is not a top dman yet.

secret mod

99. TomNickle says:

Truth be told I left Miller off to see the reaction for Vezina.  I wouldn’t consider him for the Hart.  That’s not a knock on Miller though.  If there could be 5 nominees or even 4 he would be there for me.

100. JD_ says:

If on the stand during his murder trial, OJ had looked half as guilty as Wisniewski does in the interview, the ol’ Juicer would never have had that second opportunity to have himself imprisoned.

101. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, it’s hard to believe Matt Cooke eh. Then what were you trying to do to Marc Savard’s head last weekend, Matt?

102. andrewberkshire says:

Very true. Just watched the interview. Looked like he was gonna cry.

103. crabvader says:

Del Zotto is horrible in his own end.

104. HFX-HabFan says:

The only other notable rookie D-man is Hedman.  It’s a toss-up, but ultimately neither guy is going to garner many Calder votes, it’s more who gets the other spot on the all-rookie squad.

105. smiler2729 says:

Something tells me Mike Cammalleri plays tomorrow night.

106. Habscore says:

He can watch the game from the gallery. We need him for playoffs.

107. mike g says:

Man this year is a mess…

I have to say Pittsburgh is the only team in the league that looks grounded and steady enough for a long playoff run. Everyone else just looks shaky in so many ways….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

108. TomNickle says:

That blue line in Chicago is really thin without Seabrook and Campbell though too.  Chicago’s goaltending isn’t good either and even if one of their goalies gets hot I’ve believe for a long time that Quenville isn’t the coach for a Cup contender.  He can get a team full of kids close but not over the hump for whatever reason.  I’m thinking that San Jose and Vancouver will decide the fate of the West and Pittsburgh and New Jersey will decide the fate of the East.

109. SeriousFan09 says:

San Jose will get booted from the playoffs and that’s the only call I will make, at best they are 2nd-rounders. Nabokov is worn out, Thornton is Thornton and a good portion of their crew is snakebitten in playoffs as well. I expect Detroit’s playoff experience to seriously challenge any team that ends up facing them, Conference Finals are not out of reach of Babcock’s team.

Chicago’s got no official word out on Seabrook, but there is enough time if he is fortunate enough not to have a severe concussion to get back in time to make a difference for his squad. Toews is a great leader and will take his team as far as he can.

110. andrewberkshire says:

Chicago is going nowhere with Niemi and Huet.

111. avatar_58 says:

Which is EXACTLY what the habs need. I’m licking my lips just thinking about it…..

112. TomNickle says:

I have a feeling that San Jose will….

get a big post-season from Nabakov, he’s playing for his next contract.

get a big post season from guys who aren’t named Marleau, Thornton and Heatley.  Like Setoguchi, Clowe and Pavelski.  Logan Couture looked really good last night by the way.

I too don’t like their chances against Detroit but the more I watch Detroit the more I think that the long playoff runs have really gotten to their health.  They’re still heavily dependent on guys in their late 30’s who’ve played a TON of hockey over the last 3 years and look like it.

113. ed lopaz says:

jersey is 6-0 vs pitt – guess who goes to the dance if these 2 teams meet in conf. finals?

114. TomNickle says:

We ran a winning streak against the Bruins up to around 14-0 before they took 3 in a row from us.

115. SeriousFan09 says:

The Kings and Coyotes have a severe lack of playoff experience, as do the Predators and the Preds don’t have any real names on their offence even. Avalanche has ridden Craig Anderson all season and that could hurt them. Of the teams that they may face first-round, only the Wings are a true threat. Even with Niemi/Huet being trouble, all the other teams have a problem just as big if not bigger.

116. HUDSONHAB says:

I would take on the Caps before the Pens. The Caps make more mistakes and that is what the Habs thrive on.

Hab4life

117. ed lopaz says:

love the sharks in my house – demers (sadly, recently demoted) graduated from son’s hockey sports etude program

vlassic played in west island here in mtl

great story – no one wanted to draft him into the Q – his midget AAA coach had to call the Q scouts to get him drafted – ended up drafted by sharks and made their team as an 18 year old – my son is a d

also the pride of Greenfield Park – right next to Montreal – Torrey Mitchell – went to selwyn house high school in westmount montreal – father runs the athletic program there.

montreal boys all over the san jose lineup

118. TomNickle says:

The Coyotes aren’t THAT short on playoff experience.

Doan, Lombardi, Jovanovski, Schneider(24 minutes last night, WOW), Upshall, Wolski, Nokelainen, Lang, Fiddler, Morris, Aucoin and Bryzgalov have all been there.  Most more than once.

119. andrewberkshire says:

The Coyotes as a team have playoff inexperience, but they’re a veteran loaded team, no problem there. The Avalanche have that perfect mix of grizzled veterans and talented youth. It’s understated how amazing of a captain Adam Foote is, they’re going to be fine, and would beat Chicago imo, especially without Seabrook and Campbell. The Preds are never a threat in the playoffs, and LA might be dangerous if a series goes on too long, but that’s it. Unless of course Justin Williams high sticks someone in the eye.

120. SeriousFan09 says:

San Jose’s got plenty of veterans as well, doesn’t mean they up their game when it counts, but it’s also a bit of personal bias because I just can’t stand the thought of that miserable ****-show of a franchise in Glendale getting any kind of validation. Anderson in Colorado is starting to feel the strain I suspect, he has literally doubled his workload compared to all previous professional years he has played in nets. Chicago’s missing Campbell/Seabrook, but Seabrook could be back in time for playoff impact and Byfuglien is a former defencemen for his team with good NHL experience, he can fill in minutes more reliably than some AHL call-up.

121. Chris says:

And 4-0 vs. the Flyers who took us out in 6. You can also look at the Senators regular season dominance and playoff ineptitude against the Leafs as more examples that come the first round, head to head records don’t necessarily mean as much as goaltending, coaching and talent.

122. Say Ash says:

we were 8-0 two years ago against the Bs – it still went 7

123. pic1983 says:

Goaltending isnt a huge issue when you can light up basically any other team on offense, and beat them down physically.  Its not like we’re talking about Boucher and an AHL back up like philly has, Huet doesnt have to be spectacular.  Considering the team in front of him, he just has to not be bad.

124. pic1983 says:

Love the shot at justin williams haha

125. sholi2000.com says:

These Leafs are going to be a hand full.

Nothing worse than playing a team that has nothing to lose but their jobs.

They call me Shane

126. avatar_58 says:

Usually they go in bags on the front lawn, not in your hand.

127. matrags says:

you said it  we had better be ready,its no gimmie

128. LizardKing1967 says:

thank you St-Louis, thank you Pittsburgh, thank you Atlanta. Dallas……you Suck! Can’t even beat a back-up’s back-up who hasn’t played since December.

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

129. CHsam says:

dang. wish Cammy was back for this tilt.

130. badangel says:

“the we’ll-get-‘em-next-year Toronto Maple Leafs”

bahahaahhahahhahah!!! they’ve been thinking that for the last 40 years. hahaha

131. soperman says:

The only way these Leafs are going to be a handful is if our Habs don’t come out fighting.  Our destiny is in our hands.  If they come out fighting, the Leafs will be what they are, terrible.

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

132. Offensive DMan says:

You don’t ‘play’ with this stuff now; not about ‘my man’ being in there, forget what’s past.  Sheesh, stop this stuff already, will you, and go away?  We need points. Period.

Answer it by:

a) Who is winning the games?

b) Who is best suited to winning it NOW (not a year ago)?

133. Offensive DMan says:

OK Dark Cloud, had 2, better now:)

Just really tired of this ‘favorite goalie’ stuff, I guess – we should be past that now.

134. TomNickle says:

I agree.  He was team U.S.A.’s best skater too.  I would trade a lot for that young man.

135. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, Philly wanted him bad a couple of seasons ago…

136. Kristopher7 says:

we’ll-get-‘em-next-year Toronto Maple Leafs” classic!

137. Mike from Ktown says:

Can we sit Markov for this one just in case

138. HabFanSince72 says:

I think we should call back BGL for the Leaf game.

They’re gonna be truculent.

139. Rugger says:

Then we will bury them with PP goals – Markov 4 poits tonight, 1 G, 3 A.

140. Habscore says:

On CKAC, would you sign Pleks or Markov first?? and how much?

141. TomNickle says:

Markov, and then the goalies, and then Pleks.

142. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov, sign him for 5-7 years, 6.5 million a season. He is the biggest impact on the team every season and he must be the priority, he can not be replaced by any free agent coming up in the next two or three years. Subban could replace him later on if he goes but but having the two of them? Best blue line we’ll have had in over a decade.

143. smiler2729 says:

I’d trade ‘em to LA for Drew Doughty and Brad Richardson or Wayne Simmonds

144. habs63 says:

Markov at 6-7 mill

145. habfan53 says:

They had this discussion on ANTICHAMBRE last night all 4 agreed MARKOV . Then once signed he can be named captain, Seems Markov wants to stay in Montreal . They wont name him captain unless they sign him

146. pic1983 says:

I wouldnt call pleks a “franchise” center, but id definitely call markov a “franchise” defenseman.  Defensemen of Markov’s caliber are extremely rare so I think its an easy decision to say Markov.

Considering our win/loss record with markov in the line-up vs. when hes not in the line up, if I had to give markov $6 million (or just over $6 million), I would.  We dont have to throw HUGE money at markov to keep him, hes a man who likes montreal, and would take less to not have to leave his comfort zone.

147. Say Ash says:

So he’s as good a Hart candidate as any other

148. avatar_58 says:

I don’t want Subban replacing him – I want them both!

149. pic1983 says:

especially because subban is 3 years of cap friendly labor to start.

150. Habscore says:

Agree with the goalies. PG gave me some peace of mind when he stated that he was really interested in keeping both of them.

151. Habadabadoo says:

Not to mention the massive personnal issue he has had to face this year… This kids made of steel.

152. Alain T says:

Wow this has to be huge for Ryan O’Byrne, MR.Butch Bouchard himself coming to Brossard to speak to you… I am without words. This can make Ryan’s carreer!!!!

I have to give this kid credit, to come back this year and work hard and keep his head up high with all the crap and negative media he received last year. He could of done like many other young athletes and asked for a trade.

But he didn’t and that might payoff in the next few years for the Habs.

The games are so good right now. The current Habs roster has to be the most balanced from the last 15 years. cn’t wait for cammy and MAB to return.

Cheers

153. mbplekfan says:

Carboneau was well on the way to ruining this kids career. Benching him constantly for mistakes destroyed his confidence and his play suffered.

Now that he has a steady partner and a coach who understands that mistakes are learning opportunities he is flourishing. As he gains confidence about his physical abilities he will get tougher and play with a meaner streak.

I see good things for Ryan if he stays paired with Markov.

154. habs63 says:

I’ve always liked O’Byrne but I’m starting to like him more and more as his career goes on.
    Good hard worker and sounds like he is all about the habs tradition.

155. habfan53 says:

Ryan is maturing he had a lot of problems coming out of Cornell.  I think losing his mom was a wake up call.

I think he is the most improved player this year

156. habs63 says:

I agree.

the departure of Komo really opened up a chance for him and he took full advantage.