Leafs ditch ‘unlucky’ blue jerseys for tonight

The Toronto Sun reports that the Maple Leafs will wear their white road jerseys tonight when the Canadiens visit the ACC. That means the Habs will be in their traditional blue, blanc, rouge home uniforms.

According to the paper, the move could have something to do with the fact that the Maple Leafs have a poor record at home when wearing their blue jerseys (3-4-3), while they do much better on the road when wearing white (3-3-1).

The paper also produced a scray stat for Habs fans: Since the lockout, the Maple leafs are 10-4-4 against the Canadiens.

1. lachaine says:

It’s not the jerseys.I have found the ultimate solution for
    winning against the Loafs.
    Got angst when they’re on a 3 against 5?
    Do these eternal 1 goal games give you indigestion?
    Last night against the Loafs I alternated channels between RDS and Rocky and Bullwinkle.Works wonders.
    THE Licenced Quantum Mechanic

2. habs33 says:

Guess it didn’t matter too much tonight. If anything, it probably gave the Habs a boost in confidence entering the Air Canada Center knowing the Leafs would feel better on the road.

Great night for Komi who is having a stellar year! Keep it up boys!

3. kevin m says:

I believe, that for a few years now, the home team reserves the right to choose which jersey they will wear for games.
    Therefore all teams must travel with both jerseys. This definitely smacks of an NHL (Buttman) marketing strategy.

No matter, white shirt or blue shirt it’s that target in the middle that needs to be destroyed. So FOCUS guys.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. RetroMikey says:

I am hoping we win tonite. On paper we are the better team but Toronto always plays us tough! I’ll be at the game proudly wearing my Habs jersey and heckling Mike Maurice (I’m 3 rows up from the Toronto bench) as I alway do when I go to the ACC centre to see the Habs play! Let’s go boys, play hard tonite and we’ll be rewarded with the 2 points and keep Toronto slipping in the standings.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

5. von says:

Man, that is some B-S!!!! They shouldn’t be allowed to change their jersey like that! The NHL shouldn’t allow this kind of crap to go on… Like Steiner said, whats the point of having home and road jerseys then?

It’s examples like this why the Leafs are such a joke. Relying your play to what jersey your wearing… Bunch of clowns.

I can only hope the Habs smoke these buffoons tonight.

6. TradeRyder says:

Pretty serious measures!

I hear they’re even gonna change their underwear…
    (so the don’t stink up the place).

____________________________________________________
    Hope makes a good breakfast, but a bad supper! TRADE RYDER!

7. Steiner says:

Aside from the fact that I find this hilarious – I’m just wondering – doesnt this defeat the purpose of home/away jerseys?
    I’ve seen this a lot this year – wearing the home jersey at an away game and vice versa.
    Anyone know what thats all about? Or what the rules are for that?

8. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

They need all the help they can get tonight,does anyone know if the game will be telivised in the east

So much for tradition – Leafs try some hocus pocus with their jerseys to change their fortunes for a game or two. How sad. One thing that I have noticed over the years (regardless of who wins the Cup) is that winning the Stanley Cup always begins with a talented goaltender who can stand on his head during the playoffs and run a hot streak through four rounds of playoffs. Stellar goaltending can make up for a multitude of sins. Which begs the question – who would you rather have guarding your nets over the next few years? Huet/Price/Halak or Toskola/Raycroft/Pogge? Enough said.

10. kevin m says:

I think they should make a DVD box set collection of the 24 Stanley Cups this team has won since the Cup became the symbol of hockey supremacy.

The only drawback would be having to have it delivered because it would be too heavy to carry home. Much like hoisting the Cup over one’s head, I would imagine.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Habs_008 says:

I wish they would come out with a 1993 DVD! I would buy that! On tonights game, it doesnt matter what colour they are wearing, Montreal is Due against the Laffs. I will be there in the nose bleeds cheer for les Canadiens! GO HABS GO!

12. Mrhab24 says:

Oh man, do we need this win tonight. I live in Toronto and I dont leave my house after the Habs loose to them. The smugness of the leaf fans is just brutal!!!!

Taking my Son the birthday boy to Hooters to watch the game tonight, we will see how big of a fan he is, just by seeing what he watches more……. The TV or the surroundings.

13. Mr.Hazard says:

That’s hilarious! Oh well, we’ll get to see our Habs in all their glory.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

14. drecha says:

The facts are that Montreal is 4th in the conference and Toronto is in a threeway tie for 8th in the conference. Those are the facts. Maybe you should look at the TSN Power rankings, Montreal 4th, Toronto 21st. Here is the link:

15. Naila Jinnah says:

Ah, more psychology! Anything helps, I guess. Except it won’t help in this case!

16. HabsInBlood says:

10-4-4. That’s whats so f’ed up about the new point system. What is the Habs record during that span (8-?-?)? It could almost write like the Habs have a winning record, too. If the NHL is going to stick with O.T. and the shootout during the regular season, they should move to 3 point games.

17. drecha says:

Good point! You know if a team comes out with a 40th anniversary DVD from their last cup win, they will do anything to make some money. LOL!!
    GoHabsGo!!

18. Habs-Fan says:

Another uninspired decision by Maurice.
    Wouldn’t you think that maybe a change in strategy would be more appropriate?
    His lack of vision & inability to institute a real identity for this team is amazing to me.(Although I’m quite pleased about their struggles)
    Let’s hope the Habs can come away with a convincing win & then sit back & see what the next Great move by the Leafs will be.
    Maybe a change to a different sweater without the Maple Leaf so they don’t really think their themselves.