Leafs 4 – Canadiens 3

The All-Star ballot is a bit of a joke, eh?

Satan with the CH? A crock of sit.

Gomez unfazed by slow start

Price has to work on his shot

O’Byrne: a class act

Red Fisher’s memories of Moscow

Red’s notebook

• From Le Nouvelliste, Denis Morel likes Michaël Bournival

• From La Presse, Price not on All-Star ballot

1. fbkj says:

in fairness the way you worded your sentence it could be interpreted as you talking about tonights game

2. Storm Man says:

The post was about the allstar game… You need some more coffee.

3. Storm Man says:

I see that. What is you’re record in HIO Unlimited? :).

4. LA Loyalist says:

I think you are 100% right. Remember that it basically killed the Ducks season, they lost the first 5 or 6 after the break as they had so many players on the different teams and they were tired and mentally had to get their heads back into the NHL — and by the time they started winning again it was too late.

This is not a shot at Price, but I think it will help us in the spring that he didn’t play much in the playoffs last year. He should have more gas in the tank.

5. smiler2729 says:

Last time Price was an All-Star, it took him 15 months to recover his game… last time Markov played the Laffs… when was the last time?

All-Stars should be selected at the end of the regular season and the All-Star Game should be played as the first game of the season the following year… oh yeah, been there, done that. TIME to bring it back!

6. LA Loyalist says:

It had better not be a yawn for the players, we’ve often had trouble with Carolina.

7. TomNickle says:

That would be nice.  You know I’m not from the school of a guy needs to be scoring to be effective.  But Cammalleri needs something.  He’s made of Teflon to be escaping criticism.  He’s been giving up on puck battles, not trying to beat out beatable icings, circling away from the play in transition and not skating between the dots at all.

Basically, he’s been playing lazy uninspired hockey and it’s been pretty sickening, he needs to put in more effort.

8. Bill J says:

hehe, looks like my perfect record will remain intact for one more week!!

Oddly enough, in large part due to Price’s play 😀

9. Storm Man says:

He had 6 put behind him and 4 on 13 shots Thursday…. If Cammy heats up tonight, I see 5 ;).

10. TomNickle says:

My fantasy team has nothing to do with it considering I can’t catch up this week.

Ward won’t allow that many goals and we don’t have a team built to put in 5 in one game.

Might happen 2 or 3 times all season long.

I second that motion.

12. geo_habsgo says:

Mr. Stubbs,

Out of curiosity (if you even read this) how far ahead do you have to plan your features/get them okayed by your editor? I’ve always been curious about how that works at a professional paper.

13. Storm Man says:

I know you don’t want to see that for that pool team you have;).

14. B says:

Semin, Kesler and Eriksson did not make it either, but Tavares, Krejci and Oshie with worse numbers did. The league obviously does not use the same formula for everyone when picking that list. I guess they try to make sure every team has at least a couple of players on the list. Giguere does not belong there.

15. WestHab says:

on that note lets stuff the box with bruins and flyers.

16. TomNickle says:

Saying Price should avoid the all-star game is like saying we should bench Markov every time we play the Leafs.

If he deserves it and fans want to see him in it.  He should play.

So far, both are true.

17. WestHab says:

The all-star game now consists of a fan base watching and crossing their fingers that no one gets hurt and no one does.  When Kovalev is a mvp you can judge the intensity right on that.

18. dre1744 says:

Price should stay as far away from the allstar game as he can get!!!!!!!  We all remember what happened to him after the last one he played in right!!!!!!!!!

19. TomNickle says:

He cares and he isn’t the soft player he’s made out to be.

People forget that he fought three times last season.

20. TomNickle says:

No way in hell we get 5 on Ward.

3-1 Habs.  With an empty netter.

21. showey47 says:

I agree,the olympic break was a huge blessing in disguise for us last year.

22. Storm Man says:

It must be a slow day today…. Talking about the Yawn-game, 5-3 Habs tonight. I would enjoy talking about that a little more……The yawnstars got to love it.

23. Lafrich says:

Although I agree with your point, your headline needs some work. “Two things that separate Scott Gomez”. I am assuming you are saying he is not out for himself as the first thing. What is the second?

24. ZepFan2 says:

Nyet!

Let them rest up for the long stretch that’s called the playoffs!

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

25. Danno says:

I think Plex is full of flash

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

26. WestHab says:

a little mind game from the Boone.

27. TomNickle says:

Considering that it’s built for entertainment value.  I think the flashiest players in the league should be playing in the game.

The fastest guys, the guys who make the most creative passes and can stickhandle in a phone booth.

Those are the guys who should be in the all-star game.  In my opinion.

28. ZepFan2 says:

“You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to follow you all the way home and call you an idiot.”

I would have called his bluff and everytime he called me an idiot, I’d point out from who it’s coming from, and letting him know that he is the worst F-ing coach I’ve ever seen, all the while pointing him out to others.

I bet Wilson would have started bactracking REAL fast.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

29. WestHab says:

looks like we’ll be adding in Pleks and Carey like we used to have to do with Markov. You know they should not put any names on the ballot. I wonder how that would work out.

30. Hagar says:

Didn’t say it was or should be about what you did last year. I just said that what Niemi did last year could be considered something (I’m not saying he’s AS worthy). I just decided to pick on one guy to save me some time. I agree that there are many others who shouldn’t be on that list.

31. Castor says:

Yeah you’re right.

But then youget into all sorts of things like is it the flashier players that shold be elected? Is that why no Plekanec? ( He’s not flashy. I call him Plekanec The Mechanic)

32. DavidKB says:

I agree. Subban is a rookie, don’t spoil him. And Price’s start this year is like a fresh coat of paint that hasn’t yet dried, but will be just what we wanted when it does dry. He’s looking great right now, but putting him in the spot light could smudge the paint.

33. Number31 says:

The cure for the All-Star Game is Paul Bissonnette. He’ll probably be an All-Star healthy scratch and will tweet about the event for us from the bench. VOTE BIZNASTY!

34. TomNickle says:

This game is for fans, and more specifically kids.  Do you think they’d rather watch Stephane Robidas or PK Subban?

35. TomNickle says:

I don’t see Robert Rice(SF09) this morning.  So I’ll post this link to the performance of Dustin Walsh(Habs 7th round pick two years ago).

36. Shiloh says:

Wow – Plekanec not on the ballot – that’s nuts. Price was the back-up last year so I understand his name not being there, but our #1 centre and scorer? That’s just stupid.

37. Danno says:

Get well my friend (Habs hug)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

38. Castor says:

Subban has many years to be an All Star.

I secretly want Price far away from All Star Games.

39. Shiloh says:

Oh. Thanks. I’m just reading that. Plekanec not even on the ballot? Are these clowns insane?

40. TomNickle says:

And Subban, and Price.

And Sharp, and Erik Johnson, and Semin, and Dustin Brown, and Wolski, and Bogosian, and Mike Fisher, and Giroux, and Kesler.

41. Castor says:

Players selected to the All Star game this year.

42. Shiloh says:

OK – I’ve put in a good five minutes trying to figure out the title of this thread. Leafs 4 – Canadiens 3? Huh??

43. Castor says:

So, uh, what the hell does Plekanec have to do to get respect from the NHL.

A lot of people say that the Habs are the “Yankees” of Hockey…

But the Yankees get respect. The Habs don’t. It’s actually pretty amazing. Even if you look at it from an objective, non Habs fan point of view.

44. Exit716 says:

The Habs drafted Carkner but never bothered to sign him. He’s an AHL’er at best.

45. TomNickle says:

Yeah but if the all-star game is about what you did last year what the heck are Phaneuf, Giguere, Enstrom, Bouwmeester, Martin, Zidlicky, Krejci, Oshie, Lecavalier, Booth, Umberger and Smyth doing on the ballot?

Not to mention all of the other goalies who have no business in an all-star game.

46. andrewberkshire says:

I actually enjoyed the last ASG in Montreal, it was fairly competitive compared to the last 10 years or so. However the game has been a joke the entire time I’ve watched hockey, so it’s not like I have high standards for it.

47. Hagar says:

My apologies to Niemi for making fun of him being on the ASG ballot. He was a top 5 goalie in GAA last year and did help win a cup. That’s something I guess. What I meant to say was… GIGUERE?!?!?! What a joke.

48. TomNickle says:

Two things that separate Scott Gomez.

He’s in a slump, so what does he do after he scores the goal that puts the game on ice Thursday night?

Puts his head down, doesn’t raise his stick, skates to the bench and starts talking to PK.

No smile, no celebration.

All of this from a guy who some posters would have you think is happy to steal a paycheck.

Maybe he’s got a lot more heart than people give him credit for.

49. Mattyleg says:

The NHL is a freakin’ dog-and-pony show.

I wish that we could pack up the CH and start a new league that isn’t dominated by brain-dead Barnum-and-Bailey-esqe yutzes who believe that the epitome of hockey was the California Golden Seals, and wish that each team in the league would adopt different coloured skates to improve the ‘entertainment’ (or ‘wow’) value of the game.

It’s ridiculous that Price isn’t there, but I think that it’ll be good to keep him focused on the Habs. Think about his last visit to the All-Star game…

I don’t know why Gionta is on there instead of Pleks. Actually, yes I do: it’s just a political thing, and the players are voted on there by a roomful of monkeys pulling switches and throwing their faeces at each other.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. Dave Stubbs says:

I’ve got a piece coming Tuesday on the All-Star Game and how it once used to be important, even valuable. It’s been neither for a long time; today, it’s a chance for the NHL to publicly suck up to its sponsors.

Hardly a big deal if your favourite players aren’t there, they can better use a long weekend of rest with 2 1/2 months to go in the regular season.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

Thanks Dave.

The pain is a long way from my heart and the two points tonight my friend.

52. punkster says:

This years picks don’t change my view of the ASG. I haven`t liked the format since the days when the Cup winner played a team made up of the rest of the league stars (last game was in 1968 I think). I find it a marketing cash grab and a disruption to the schedule that adds yet another week to an already too long season.

53. punkster says:

Sorry to hear you’re going through some pain Ian. A win tonight should help. Hang in there.

I just might do that, thanks!

And besides, This is a team sport, not an All Star sport at all.

If I wanted to watch an individual All Star, I would watch skiing, tennis or golf.

56. aemarchand11 says:

The Price snub i can deal with for the ASG, but it’s about time that Pleks gets some credit for what he’s done.

2010-2011

57. JohnBellyful says:

I agree the all-star game is a joke. Does that make the starting forwards the Punch Line?

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

58. JohnBellyful says:

Would it help if Gomez donated a kidney? :)

P.S. Before going into surgery Thursday, stare at my avatar for a half-hour to ease yourself into a state of self-induced pain-free oblivion.When you awake from the operation, you’ll be able to do the fox trot the same as before.

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

All Star Game!!!

Its not a game at all, its a love in. Makes no sense at all to me, and I would rather watch Judge Judy. I have not watched one in years. On the other hand, I do enjoy the skills competition.

Can you just imagine a goal tender trying his best not to get beat more than 12 times in a game, when his team mates are working for him at about 40%.

A truly confidence builder is it not. It can destroy a goal tenders confidence. And I think that is exactly what happened to young Price last year.

60. SmartDog says:

If the NHL wasn’t brain-deficient, they’d wait until at least 25 games in to put the ballot out there – and they’d pay attention to who really LOOKS like an All-star THIS YEAR (duh-uh). Not last year’s has-beens, and a mix of favoured sons.

Then they’d have time to see that Kessel and Phaneuf are no more an all-star than my dog is a horse.  And Gionta?  I love Gionta but he’s not an all-star to begin with let alone THIS year.  Might as well put Gomez on there.  Or Brodeur.  Though I see that Fleury (2 wins, six losses, .860 SP and 3.23 GA) is on there. Nothing could be more ridiculous. Putting Fleury on there is complete ass-kissing to the Pens, to French-Canadians, and to Canada who STUPIDLY sent him to the olympics.

Let’s start a Facebook group called “THE NHL ALLSTAR GAME IS A JOKE” and put pictures of the worst ballot pics with their stats next to pictures of players who SHOULD be on there but were left out.

Better yet – is anyone a WordPress programmer?  I can direct and write this stuff but I don’t code it.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

61. Exit716 says:

Don’t vote for any Habs, hell Molson should tell the league to screw themselves and that the team is taking a vacation during that time and they won’t be available for  Bettman and Karmanos’s welfare show in Raleigh.

62. Exit716 says:

I loved the fact that Wilson chased the guy down the subway station and then the guy still said it to his face.

63. SmartDog says:

I knew that… shoulda said it.

So what’s your editors name?

Not that I disagree…. Price at least is learning how to manage the media. Gomez shows no awareness that people expect a LOT more of him and more imporantly, they deserve to.  He seems like a nice guy and well meaning, but a guy who lives in his own bubble and needs it to be burst on a regular basis.  Hopefully Martin is (finally?) on the case.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

First good sleep since my surgery on Monday. Thanks for asking.  Only problem is, I go under the knife again this Thursday morning. Not looking forward to it.

65. JohnBellyful says:

Sorry for stating the obvious, Ian.

Feeling better this morning, I trust.

Dave, I sent the money order on Friday!

And I used my new word, synopsis, in a post two days ago. Thanks

67. adamkennelly says:

clever headline – and Satan coming to the Habs better be a crock of sit or I’ll flip sit.  We need a big top 6 winger – not a sitty 37 year old who hasn’t done sit since 2005.  watched a bit of the Ducks – Stars game last night – James Neal would look awesome in the CH…

This is not news !  We have known for years, that the Leafs were full of excrement!!

69. Dave Stubbs says:

Writers don’t produce the headlines on their stories or the captions on the photos that accompany them. Just sayin’.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

70. tony d says:

The All Star game has become the biggest circus. You can’t take it seriously anymore, even the players don’t care.

71. JohnBellyful says:

Members of the HIO brotherhood (frère-ternity) might be interested in this as well. Heuters, the news agency that keeps you abreast of what’s going on in the world, has just filed this report:

NEW YORK – The National Hockey League has ordered its players to quit spitting, citing a newly released World Health Organization study that warns the longstanding habit constitutes a public health risk.

The study said copious amounts of spit are so prevalent in the league’s 30 arenas that anyone entering the buildings are at risk of contracting infectious diseases. Ice surfaces, in particular, held the greatest potential for making people sick. The study determined that ice in the rinks contained 10 per cent saliva (trace amounts of excrement were also found at the Air Canada Centre).

“We are committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for the public and for our players,” the NHL said in a statement. “Effective immediately, players are banned from expectorating while on team property.”
    The league issued a second news release providing a definition of expectorate.
    Air lines and bus companies have asked to be added to the list of prohibited areas.

A league source said the NHL directive wasn’t triggered by health concerns alone, however. A recent ugly incident between a player and a spectator contributed to its urgency to take action.

According to a police investigation, the player was headed to the dressing room when he responded to a heckler with a liquid rejoinder.
    “That’s when the spit hit the fan,” the source said.
    The alleged victim has filed a civil lawsuit accusing the player of uncivil behaviour.
    The player told police it’s an accepted practice among athletes “to relieve themselves of stress-induced saliva in the most expeditious manner possible. Eh.”
    “Spit happens,” the player said.

The WHO study of the 30 arenas bears this out. It found evidence of saliva in dressing rooms, showers, washrooms, walkways, lobbies, stairwells, elevators, and escalators, as well as on door handles, handrails, fake plants, referees and linesmen. A full list can be found at http://www.WHO.ugh.
    A check of the DNA database maintained by the NHL determined that 97 per cent of the spittle belonged to players and a few beat reporters.

The National Hockey League Players Association has said it will fight the league’s ban.
    “We’re just salivating at the chance to take this to court,” said an NHLPA mouthpiece.
    The association said it would be willing to consider a compromise that would place spittoons at benches and on top of nets and equip referees with spit jars.

A WHO spokesman acknowledged in an interview that people would have to lick the surfaces on which the spittle was found in order to become infected.
    “Remember, though, we’re talking hockey fans,” he said.

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

72. SmartDog says:

I wonder if this title is meant to be a bit of a dig:

Habs’ Scott Gomez isn’t losing any sleep

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

73. JoeC says:

Im happy Price isnt on the ballot, i want him to rest since hes gonna play like 75 games this year, and we all know hes should be an allstar and he knows that.

Cup > ASW.

74. Puck Bard says:

The All-Star Game is a joke. Even more of a laugh that it’s in Carolina this year. Hope we pound them tonight.

75. nightmare_49 says:

laff Nation:

Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson.  Read more from Stephen Brunt of the Globe and Mail, including a man walking by Wilson while he was on the phone telling him this…

“You’re the worst [expletive] coach I’ve ever seen. You’re a [expletive] idiot.”

via a Mirtle tweet:

Brian Burke: “This is Toronto. Two games under .500 and it’s November. I’m surprised they haven’t called out the militia.”