Leafs 4 – Canadiens 3

The All-Star ballot is a bit of a joke, eh?

Satan with the CH? A crock of sit.

Gomez unfazed by slow start

Price has to work on his shot

O’Byrne: a class act

Red Fisher’s memories of Moscow

Red’s notebook

• From Le Nouvelliste, Denis Morel likes Michaël Bournival

• From La Presse, Price not on All-Star ballot

1. TomNickle says:

He cares and he isn’t the soft player he’s made out to be.

People forget that he fought three times last season.

2. TomNickle says:

No way in hell we get 5 on Ward.

3-1 Habs.  With an empty netter.

3. showey47 says:

I agree,the olympic break was a huge blessing in disguise for us last year.

4. Storm Man says:

It must be a slow day today…. Talking about the Yawn-game, 5-3 Habs tonight. I would enjoy talking about that a little more……The yawnstars got to love it.

5. Lafrich says:

Although I agree with your point, your headline needs some work. “Two things that separate Scott Gomez”. I am assuming you are saying he is not out for himself as the first thing. What is the second?

6. ZepFan2 says:

Nyet!

Let them rest up for the long stretch that’s called the playoffs!

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

7. Danno says:

I think Plex is full of flash

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. WestHab says:

a little mind game from the Boone.

9. TomNickle says:

Considering that it’s built for entertainment value.  I think the flashiest players in the league should be playing in the game.

The fastest guys, the guys who make the most creative passes and can stickhandle in a phone booth.

Those are the guys who should be in the all-star game.  In my opinion.

10. ZepFan2 says:

“You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to follow you all the way home and call you an idiot.”

I would have called his bluff and everytime he called me an idiot, I’d point out from who it’s coming from, and letting him know that he is the worst F-ing coach I’ve ever seen, all the while pointing him out to others.

I bet Wilson would have started bactracking REAL fast.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

11. WestHab says:

looks like we’ll be adding in Pleks and Carey like we used to have to do with Markov. You know they should not put any names on the ballot. I wonder how that would work out.

12. Hagar says:

Didn’t say it was or should be about what you did last year. I just said that what Niemi did last year could be considered something (I’m not saying he’s AS worthy). I just decided to pick on one guy to save me some time. I agree that there are many others who shouldn’t be on that list.

13. Castor says:

Yeah you’re right.

But then youget into all sorts of things like is it the flashier players that shold be elected? Is that why no Plekanec? ( He’s not flashy. I call him Plekanec The Mechanic)

14. DavidKB says:

I agree. Subban is a rookie, don’t spoil him. And Price’s start this year is like a fresh coat of paint that hasn’t yet dried, but will be just what we wanted when it does dry. He’s looking great right now, but putting him in the spot light could smudge the paint.

15. Number31 says:

The cure for the All-Star Game is Paul Bissonnette. He’ll probably be an All-Star healthy scratch and will tweet about the event for us from the bench. VOTE BIZNASTY!

16. TomNickle says:

This game is for fans, and more specifically kids.  Do you think they’d rather watch Stephane Robidas or PK Subban?

17. TomNickle says:

I don’t see Robert Rice(SF09) this morning.  So I’ll post this link to the performance of Dustin Walsh(Habs 7th round pick two years ago).

18. Shiloh says:

Wow – Plekanec not on the ballot – that’s nuts. Price was the back-up last year so I understand his name not being there, but our #1 centre and scorer? That’s just stupid.

19. Danno says:

Get well my friend (Habs hug)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. Castor says:

Subban has many years to be an All Star.

I secretly want Price far away from All Star Games.

21. Shiloh says:

Oh. Thanks. I’m just reading that. Plekanec not even on the ballot? Are these clowns insane?

22. TomNickle says:

And Subban, and Price.

And Sharp, and Erik Johnson, and Semin, and Dustin Brown, and Wolski, and Bogosian, and Mike Fisher, and Giroux, and Kesler.

23. Castor says:

Players selected to the All Star game this year.

24. Shiloh says:

OK – I’ve put in a good five minutes trying to figure out the title of this thread. Leafs 4 – Canadiens 3? Huh??

25. Castor says:

So, uh, what the hell does Plekanec have to do to get respect from the NHL.

A lot of people say that the Habs are the “Yankees” of Hockey…

But the Yankees get respect. The Habs don’t. It’s actually pretty amazing. Even if you look at it from an objective, non Habs fan point of view.

26. Exit716 says:

The Habs drafted Carkner but never bothered to sign him. He’s an AHL’er at best.

27. TomNickle says:

Yeah but if the all-star game is about what you did last year what the heck are Phaneuf, Giguere, Enstrom, Bouwmeester, Martin, Zidlicky, Krejci, Oshie, Lecavalier, Booth, Umberger and Smyth doing on the ballot?

Not to mention all of the other goalies who have no business in an all-star game.

28. andrewberkshire says:

I actually enjoyed the last ASG in Montreal, it was fairly competitive compared to the last 10 years or so. However the game has been a joke the entire time I’ve watched hockey, so it’s not like I have high standards for it.

29. Hagar says:

My apologies to Niemi for making fun of him being on the ASG ballot. He was a top 5 goalie in GAA last year and did help win a cup. That’s something I guess. What I meant to say was… GIGUERE?!?!?! What a joke.

30. TomNickle says:

Two things that separate Scott Gomez.

He’s in a slump, so what does he do after he scores the goal that puts the game on ice Thursday night?

Puts his head down, doesn’t raise his stick, skates to the bench and starts talking to PK.

No smile, no celebration.

All of this from a guy who some posters would have you think is happy to steal a paycheck.

Maybe he’s got a lot more heart than people give him credit for.

31. Mattyleg says:

The NHL is a freakin’ dog-and-pony show.

I wish that we could pack up the CH and start a new league that isn’t dominated by brain-dead Barnum-and-Bailey-esqe yutzes who believe that the epitome of hockey was the California Golden Seals, and wish that each team in the league would adopt different coloured skates to improve the ‘entertainment’ (or ‘wow’) value of the game.

It’s ridiculous that Price isn’t there, but I think that it’ll be good to keep him focused on the Habs. Think about his last visit to the All-Star game…

I don’t know why Gionta is on there instead of Pleks. Actually, yes I do: it’s just a political thing, and the players are voted on there by a roomful of monkeys pulling switches and throwing their faeces at each other.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Dave Stubbs says:

I’ve got a piece coming Tuesday on the All-Star Game and how it once used to be important, even valuable. It’s been neither for a long time; today, it’s a chance for the NHL to publicly suck up to its sponsors.

Hardly a big deal if your favourite players aren’t there, they can better use a long weekend of rest with 2 1/2 months to go in the regular season.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

Thanks Dave.

The pain is a long way from my heart and the two points tonight my friend.

34. punkster says:

This years picks don’t change my view of the ASG. I haven`t liked the format since the days when the Cup winner played a team made up of the rest of the league stars (last game was in 1968 I think). I find it a marketing cash grab and a disruption to the schedule that adds yet another week to an already too long season.

35. punkster says:

Sorry to hear you’re going through some pain Ian. A win tonight should help. Hang in there.

I just might do that, thanks!

And besides, This is a team sport, not an All Star sport at all.

If I wanted to watch an individual All Star, I would watch skiing, tennis or golf.

38. aemarchand11 says:

The Price snub i can deal with for the ASG, but it’s about time that Pleks gets some credit for what he’s done.

2010-2011

39. JohnBellyful says:

I agree the all-star game is a joke. Does that make the starting forwards the Punch Line?

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

40. JohnBellyful says:

Would it help if Gomez donated a kidney? :)

P.S. Before going into surgery Thursday, stare at my avatar for a half-hour to ease yourself into a state of self-induced pain-free oblivion.When you awake from the operation, you’ll be able to do the fox trot the same as before.

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

All Star Game!!!

Its not a game at all, its a love in. Makes no sense at all to me, and I would rather watch Judge Judy. I have not watched one in years. On the other hand, I do enjoy the skills competition.

Can you just imagine a goal tender trying his best not to get beat more than 12 times in a game, when his team mates are working for him at about 40%.

A truly confidence builder is it not. It can destroy a goal tenders confidence. And I think that is exactly what happened to young Price last year.

42. SmartDog says:

If the NHL wasn’t brain-deficient, they’d wait until at least 25 games in to put the ballot out there – and they’d pay attention to who really LOOKS like an All-star THIS YEAR (duh-uh). Not last year’s has-beens, and a mix of favoured sons.

Then they’d have time to see that Kessel and Phaneuf are no more an all-star than my dog is a horse.  And Gionta?  I love Gionta but he’s not an all-star to begin with let alone THIS year.  Might as well put Gomez on there.  Or Brodeur.  Though I see that Fleury (2 wins, six losses, .860 SP and 3.23 GA) is on there. Nothing could be more ridiculous. Putting Fleury on there is complete ass-kissing to the Pens, to French-Canadians, and to Canada who STUPIDLY sent him to the olympics.

Let’s start a Facebook group called “THE NHL ALLSTAR GAME IS A JOKE” and put pictures of the worst ballot pics with their stats next to pictures of players who SHOULD be on there but were left out.

Better yet – is anyone a WordPress programmer?  I can direct and write this stuff but I don’t code it.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

43. Exit716 says:

Don’t vote for any Habs, hell Molson should tell the league to screw themselves and that the team is taking a vacation during that time and they won’t be available for  Bettman and Karmanos’s welfare show in Raleigh.

44. Exit716 says:

I loved the fact that Wilson chased the guy down the subway station and then the guy still said it to his face.

45. SmartDog says:

I knew that… shoulda said it.

So what’s your editors name?

Not that I disagree…. Price at least is learning how to manage the media. Gomez shows no awareness that people expect a LOT more of him and more imporantly, they deserve to.  He seems like a nice guy and well meaning, but a guy who lives in his own bubble and needs it to be burst on a regular basis.  Hopefully Martin is (finally?) on the case.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

First good sleep since my surgery on Monday. Thanks for asking.  Only problem is, I go under the knife again this Thursday morning. Not looking forward to it.

47. JohnBellyful says:

Sorry for stating the obvious, Ian.

Feeling better this morning, I trust.

Dave, I sent the money order on Friday!

And I used my new word, synopsis, in a post two days ago. Thanks

49. adamkennelly says:

clever headline – and Satan coming to the Habs better be a crock of sit or I’ll flip sit.  We need a big top 6 winger – not a sitty 37 year old who hasn’t done sit since 2005.  watched a bit of the Ducks – Stars game last night – James Neal would look awesome in the CH…

This is not news !  We have known for years, that the Leafs were full of excrement!!

51. Dave Stubbs says:

Writers don’t produce the headlines on their stories or the captions on the photos that accompany them. Just sayin’.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

52. tony d says:

The All Star game has become the biggest circus. You can’t take it seriously anymore, even the players don’t care.

53. JohnBellyful says:

Members of the HIO brotherhood (frère-ternity) might be interested in this as well. Heuters, the news agency that keeps you abreast of what’s going on in the world, has just filed this report:

NEW YORK – The National Hockey League has ordered its players to quit spitting, citing a newly released World Health Organization study that warns the longstanding habit constitutes a public health risk.

The study said copious amounts of spit are so prevalent in the league’s 30 arenas that anyone entering the buildings are at risk of contracting infectious diseases. Ice surfaces, in particular, held the greatest potential for making people sick. The study determined that ice in the rinks contained 10 per cent saliva (trace amounts of excrement were also found at the Air Canada Centre).

“We are committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for the public and for our players,” the NHL said in a statement. “Effective immediately, players are banned from expectorating while on team property.”
    The league issued a second news release providing a definition of expectorate.
    Air lines and bus companies have asked to be added to the list of prohibited areas.

A league source said the NHL directive wasn’t triggered by health concerns alone, however. A recent ugly incident between a player and a spectator contributed to its urgency to take action.

According to a police investigation, the player was headed to the dressing room when he responded to a heckler with a liquid rejoinder.
    “That’s when the spit hit the fan,” the source said.
    The alleged victim has filed a civil lawsuit accusing the player of uncivil behaviour.
    The player told police it’s an accepted practice among athletes “to relieve themselves of stress-induced saliva in the most expeditious manner possible. Eh.”
    “Spit happens,” the player said.

The WHO study of the 30 arenas bears this out. It found evidence of saliva in dressing rooms, showers, washrooms, walkways, lobbies, stairwells, elevators, and escalators, as well as on door handles, handrails, fake plants, referees and linesmen. A full list can be found at http://www.WHO.ugh.
    A check of the DNA database maintained by the NHL determined that 97 per cent of the spittle belonged to players and a few beat reporters.

The National Hockey League Players Association has said it will fight the league’s ban.
    “We’re just salivating at the chance to take this to court,” said an NHLPA mouthpiece.
    The association said it would be willing to consider a compromise that would place spittoons at benches and on top of nets and equip referees with spit jars.

A WHO spokesman acknowledged in an interview that people would have to lick the surfaces on which the spittle was found in order to become infected.
    “Remember, though, we’re talking hockey fans,” he said.

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.”

54. SmartDog says:

I wonder if this title is meant to be a bit of a dig:

Habs’ Scott Gomez isn’t losing any sleep

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

55. JoeC says:

Im happy Price isnt on the ballot, i want him to rest since hes gonna play like 75 games this year, and we all know hes should be an allstar and he knows that.

Cup > ASW.

56. Puck Bard says:

The All-Star Game is a joke. Even more of a laugh that it’s in Carolina this year. Hope we pound them tonight.

57. nightmare_49 says:

laff Nation:

Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson.  Read more from Stephen Brunt of the Globe and Mail, including a man walking by Wilson while he was on the phone telling him this…

“You’re the worst [expletive] coach I’ve ever seen. You’re a [expletive] idiot.”

via a Mirtle tweet:

Brian Burke: “This is Toronto. Two games under .500 and it’s November. I’m surprised they haven’t called out the militia.”

58. Richrebellion says:

It wasn’t the all-star game that ruined prices game… If you’ll remember Price was injured right before it and came back a little bit too early. He wasnt 100% and because of that lost his confidence, last year Halak pressuring him for ice time only made it harder for him to recover his game. With Halak gone and no pressure from his back up Price built his confidence and is back to the stellar goalie he is.

Nothing to do with the all-star game and its stupid to not want him to be there because of that. Price will be a stellar goalie for years and probably play many all-star games without losing his game.

59. Storm Man says:

Yah LOL that was funny but he is 2-2 also.

60. Bill J says:

Not surprisingly 2-2 (going on 3-2) – I do not have Price in that one ;) if you remember someone drafted Price 1st overall in THAT league lol

61. ZepFan2 says:

It’s all in the interpretation.

That and a little wishful thinking. ;)

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

62. NightRyder says:

Carkner is one of the toughest guys in the league, and is a legitimate third-pairing NHL defenceman. He’s right-handed too, which is always a bonus.

63. Storm Man says:

ROFLMAO…… now you have tickets to the game and a new ride, Who said you can’t win here at HIO.

64. ZepFan2 says:

What? You want to buy me a car?!

Holy crap, thanks, bro!!

lol

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

65. ZepFan2 says:

I’m interpreting your post as saying you want to give me tickets to the game…and cash?!

Wow, thanks man! ;)

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

66. fbkj says:

of course thats the beauty of cognitition :)

“It must be a slow day today…. Talking about the Yawn-game, 5-3 Habs tonight”

this comes off 2 ways lol, i blame the comma

67. ZepFan2 says:

I turd that motion. ;)

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

68. Storm Man says:

We all interpreted thing’s as we like on here.

69. fbkj says:

in fairness the way you worded your sentence it could be interpreted as you talking about tonights game

70. Storm Man says:

The post was about the allstar game… You need some more coffee.

71. Storm Man says:

I see that. What is you’re record in HIO Unlimited? :).

72. LA Loyalist says:

I think you are 100% right. Remember that it basically killed the Ducks season, they lost the first 5 or 6 after the break as they had so many players on the different teams and they were tired and mentally had to get their heads back into the NHL — and by the time they started winning again it was too late.

This is not a shot at Price, but I think it will help us in the spring that he didn’t play much in the playoffs last year. He should have more gas in the tank.

73. smiler2729 says:

Last time Price was an All-Star, it took him 15 months to recover his game… last time Markov played the Laffs… when was the last time?

All-Stars should be selected at the end of the regular season and the All-Star Game should be played as the first game of the season the following year… oh yeah, been there, done that. TIME to bring it back!

74. LA Loyalist says:

It had better not be a yawn for the players, we’ve often had trouble with Carolina.

75. TomNickle says:

That would be nice.  You know I’m not from the school of a guy needs to be scoring to be effective.  But Cammalleri needs something.  He’s made of Teflon to be escaping criticism.  He’s been giving up on puck battles, not trying to beat out beatable icings, circling away from the play in transition and not skating between the dots at all.

Basically, he’s been playing lazy uninspired hockey and it’s been pretty sickening, he needs to put in more effort.

76. SmartDog says:

Thought I read 10.  Musta been the Van game.

———
    Is the All-Star Game a Joke? Consider that Price isn’t there and Fleury is:
    Fleury’s STATS: |win%: .25|save%: .860|goals/game: 3.23|. In six seasons Fleury has only ONCE had a save % over .912. If he’s an all-star my ass is a hovercraft.

77. christophor says:

Giguere?!

78. SmartDog says:

I wonder how many has-been players will ask to be traded to Toronto just to get on the All-Star ballot?

———
    Is the All-Star Game a Joke? Consider that Price isn’t there and Fleury is:

79. wd40 says:

Anyone know if Price is getting the start tonight?

80. fbkj says:

this isnt last season.; assume price is playing, unless you hear otherwise

81. SmartDog says:

We need a serious boycot the All-Star game campaign to see Mtl get its due.  Nothing less than that would work.

———
    Is the All-Star Game a Joke? Consider that Price isn’t there and Fleury is:

82. TomNickle says:

Hopefully it serves as motivation.

Fleury’s one name on a long list who shouldn’t even be considered.  How the Wild have three nominees and Burns isn’t one of them I’ll never know.  Backstrom and Zidlicky?  That’s a bigger joke than Phaneuf and Giguere.

83. twocents says:

I don’t give a snot about that glorified exhibition game.

Our players are better off with the time off. Honestly, there’s nothing to be gained by being included in that unwatchable farce.

You want to help the team, stuff the ballot boxes with Bruins and Flyers players.

84. ABHabsfan says:

Not having many nominees on this ballot could serve well as bulletin-board incentive for the Habs for the rest of the season. This could be a blessing in disguise. A galvanizing “no one gives us a chance” kind of motivation.

But still, how does CP not get on that list? Half those guys can barely keep their starting job and 4 of them have their teams in last place in their div. How are fans supposed to take this seriously? If it is about who the fans want see then why is PK not there? You can’t tell me fans don’t want to see him, at least more than Jovanovski.

Whatever, our team will be rested and come back with a chip on their shoulder.

85. db says:

Sometimes I wonder if anyone in the NHL admin watches the games…

86. pcharnish says:

price should be on the ballot the way hes played so far this year and hes played so good he deserves to be in the allstar game

87. Everlasting1 says:

Just throwing it out there..anyone voting for Halak, Oshie? They’ve got my vote regardless of Oshies’ unlikely return.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

88. TomNickle says:

Of course they have your vote.

89. matraque says:

Price not on All-Star ballot.

“Chill out”

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

90. ZepFan2 says:

They have your vote?! Shocking!!

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

91. Everlasting1 says:

Didn’t answer the question.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

92. Everlasting1 says:

Didn’t answer the question.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

93. TomNickle says:

Halak might, Oshie won’t.

But if Cam Janssen were on the ballot I’m sure he’d have your vote too.

94. Everlasting1 says:

Janssen would not get my vote. Oshie is a wizard puck handler.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

95. ZepFan2 says:

I’ll vote Halak. Not Oshie, that’s wasting a vote.

I wont be voting any Habs whatsoever.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

96. TomNickle says:

I’m not going to debate this any further with you suffice to say that Alexander Avtsin is a wizard puck handler.

Oshie shouldn’t represent the Western Conference in the all-star game.  If you’re willing to put him ahead of….

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Richards, Nash, Koivu, Statsny, Duchesne, Kesler, Sedin, Sedin, Eberle, Iginla, Bourque, Thornton, Heatley, Kopitar, Brown, Backes, Macdonald or Perron.

Oshie isn’t any more deserving than any player on that list in my opinion.

97. NightRyder says:

O’Byrne had just shy of 25 minutes of ice time last night from 30 (three games worth of JM ice) shifts. Plus-1, three shots, six hits, four blocked shots, killed penalties, the whole bit.

Wonder if he’d keep making “the same mistakes” if he was thrown in balls deep and didn’t have to worry about riding the pine every time he made a blunder.

Like Hainsey and Beauchemin, he’ll probably go on to a decent career without being branded a failure because he couldn’t deliver with token ice time.

I often think kids like Subban and Price develop in spite of the organization, as opposed to because of it.

98. TomNickle says:

Whose icetime would you have been willing to give him here in Montreal?

Subban’s?  Markov’s?  Gorges’?

Sorry, O’Byrne isn’t capable and wasn’t capable of 25 minutes/night on our team.

If our top defensemen were Liles and Quincey, then yeah, but not with our defensemen.

99. habs365 says:

the all star ballot….not worth commenting on

100. Everlasting1 says:

He has your vote?? Shocking!!! I nearly fell off lay-z-boy.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

101. db says:

I hope we get Ward yanked.. like his last start.  Of course, he’s gonna come out with something to prove…

So the all star ballot is a joke.. when has it not been?  I believe every team should send a rep to the game and let the fans choose a couple extras… too bad for teams with too many all stars :p  They should then throw all their sticks in the middle and let the captains choose that way (no more than 3 seconds per pick – the sticks are named after all).

102. the_larry says:

Correction Boone: the All-Star game is a joke. Not just the ballot.

103. Everlasting1 says:

I just think young talent should be represented in such games.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

104. ZepFan2 says:

That’s cause you’re an idiot.

I’ve NEVER said I disliked Halak. I stick up for the players WITH the team! Not those on opposing teams, regardless how I felt about them before. They are now the enemy!!

The sooner people like YOU get that, this place will be better off.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

105. Richrebellion says:

The fact that eberle made that list ahead of Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Chris stewart, Marleau, Hemsky, franzen and Kane is pretty surprising but there is a long list in the west ahead of Oshie.

106. TomNickle says:

They have the rookie v. sophomore game which will showcase players like Subban, Myers, Ennis, Eller and countless others.

Oshie isn’t deserving of an all-star game nod when considering the competition for the roster spot in the West, that’s fact.

107. NightRyder says:

I understand he’s not worth 25 minutes a night and worrying about your sixth-seventh d-man is something we do here to kill time.

But he gave a solid example of what he was capable of when paired with Markov at times last year.

For the first time, he wasn’t worried about getting yanked if he made a mistake. It was only because of our depleted corps that Subban got the chance in the playoffs, too. Otherwise, JM would have played him eight minutes a game. Fortunately, Subban is so talented he forced the issue. We don’t get those kinds of prospects very often.

And quite frankly, I’d happily give a six-foot-five, 235-pound, tough right-handed d-man the ice time of an expensive 36-year-old Spacek playing on the wrong side, or of Hal Gill, who will look like a pylon 37 games a year (but who is a bigger asset come playoff time).

O’Byrne will settle in as a solid second- or likely third-pairing d-man in Colorado, which is what he should have been here, but playing under such a microscope, with coaches who cringe at the constant criticism and would rather rein in the leash than deal with the backlash, is extraordinarily tough for young players.

108. HFX-HabFan says:

So, I’ve been away all day…did anything go down over the noontime hour at Atwater Park?

109. NightRyder says:

I’d rather Price rest up for a few days than play in a game that hangs goalies out to dry anyway. Who watches the all-star game?

110. Hagar says:

You’re a mod, aren’t you Bugs? Come clean and admit it.

111. Kaptain K says:

EAST V WEST is a joke. Sports are fun to watch because of one thing…. rivalry, pride and honor.

Does anyone care about the arbitrary line that separates the western conference from the eastern? No.

Make it NA v World or Canada V world (or like Gold medal olympic champion country V world) or Stanley Cup Champs V rest of the NHL, where players will remotely care about winning…. induce some feeling of commitment to a real group where a player wants to win because of pride. Noone cares to brag that the East beat the west last year …. but I’m sure players always bring up how Canada destroyed Russia or how Canada won a tight game against the States… make it something ppl will talk about and remember.

112. NightRyder says:

New Jersey is not relevant because they last won before the salary cap was implemented.

When the Penguins won, Malkin’s salary was $984,000 and Staal’s was $850,000. Plus, they had the time to suck mightily for many years and draft high-quality talent, then play the hell out of it – precisely what Montreal will never be able to do.

The Red Wings have a long history of players signing below-market deals to stay there. Zetterberg making $2.7, Osgood 800K, Cleary 675K, Samuelsson $1.2M plus skilled kids like Hudler and Filppula making less than a mill at the time and making huge contributions, not just meaningful ones.

Anaheim had Getzlaf and Perry on entry-level deals. Chicago had all their below-market deals and had to clean house this year.

Carolina had Eric Staal and Cam Ward making a COMBINED $1.5M.

113. adam76 says:

I’m not mad about the all star cluserf*ck – more embarrassed for this league.

114. Storm Man says:

And the Oilers will win the cup. Sorry Bill I never see Bugs using any insight when he post’s. Most of it is fictitious blah blah and when someone call’s him on it. Bugs does his best with puppet like rhetoric that he thinks is funny. He was upset that he was dominated once again.

115. Everlasting1 says:

But you’ll vote ayways. Perhaps the league will call you to come up with next year’s ballot list for the kiddies.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

116. adam76 says:

I refuse to vote on anything so void of logic.

117. Number31 says:

Olympic bench warmer.

118. adam76 says:

Good job, Tom!  You were able to disagree with someone without tossing out personal attacks.

Congrats buddy!

119. Everlasting1 says:

Now now zepfanny, play nice.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

120. TomNickle says:

Well you can chalk it up to low confidence due to Martin’s benching.  But Subban doesn’t make mistakes that put us shorthanded unnecessarily and he plays a physical game.

O’Byrne made countless repeated mistakes and wasn’t using his frame to out-muscle people.  If that’s Martin, so be it.  But our coaching staff deserve praise for the success stories just as much as they deserve criticism for the players who haven’t worked out.  And I will make the case that Sergei Kostitsyn and Latendresse had nothing to do with Martin.

So you can maybe put D’Agostini and O’Byrne under Martin’s poor development list, but you’d have to put Pyatt and Subban under his great development list.

Of course people will come back with Boucher made Subban what he is, which is total crap considering Subban hasn’t changed his style of playing since leaving Belleville.

121. nickster13 says:

This would make the all star game fun, have muckers vs all stars, now that would be fun, since the all stars already hate the muckers, and then we could see the muckers try and do skills and stuff, FUN

122. samTHEman says:

Boring saturday morning. 6h30m before face-off, I have taken the pleasure of proposing excellent topics for today. Take a look!

Price’s awesomeness

Halak’s departure

Gomez’s salary

Gomez’s performance, or lack thereof

Eller’s ice time and dog house status

Martin’s impeccable coaching

The Canadiens excellent player development program

Gainey and Gauthier’s questionable trades

Spacek’s double chin

Choose wisely!

123. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Who did they get to pick the all-star ballot??  That monkey from TSN?  Oh wait, she would have done a better job.

124. TomNickle says:

Marleau isn’t worth the tape he puts around his shin pads when he isn’t playing for a paycheck.

Hemsky is a joke and Franzen isn’t exactly in the same class as 20-25 players in the West.

125. NightRyder says:

Fan club troubles?

126. Bill J says:

Go one step further Bugs, and don’t be so confrontational in your posts.

Would go a long way…

127. NightRyder says:

In all honesty, and based on last year’s performance, who would you have on the ballot?

We have one legitimate top-pairing defenceman and one legitimate first-line NHL forward.

There’s 100 spots and 30 teams, so our three guys seems about right, no?

Gionta has no business being on there, but I don’t hear squawking about that.

It’s a silly exhibition game anyway.

128. nickster13 says:

i choose Spacek’s double chin, its a work of art!

129. ZepFan2 says:

Why, demidork? You never have.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

130. _Habsoloutly_ says:

A lot of those picks are way off IMO.

131. habs-hampton says:

The All-Start ballot is hilarious!!!

The good news. Our boys will get a 4 day break in February when these other guys are wating theie time on Bettmans show.

132. samTHEman says:

Not that I care, because I really don’t give a flying (WORD DELETED) about the all-star shabanza.

Price and Plekanec belong there, Gionta doesn’t. Subban will be there soon.

Price Markov Cammalleri Plekanec > Giguere Kessel Kaberle Phaneuf

The only LEAF I like is Kaberle. Phaneuf was only really great 1 year in calgary. Giguere and Kessel are streaky as hell. Hell, I’d take Gomez before I took Kessel.

133. Chuck says:

I hope that all of the Leafs get chosen for the game.

Centre Hice: New Canadiens rating systems

134. habs-hampton says:

I don’t think anyone feels more Habs should be on the ballot. Our team has no real stars (although I’m pretty sure Price is a top 18 goalie). We’re a team, where everyone has a role. Gionta shouldn’t be there (slow start). Markov has only played 4 games.

But, c’mon… Gigeure?  Phaneuf? No Semin?

You can’t take this stuff too seriously.

135. samTHEman says:

Great choice my man. Now, please specify. Chin A or Chin B?

136. Chuck says:

In all honest, and based on las year’s performance, there wouldn’t be even one Leaf on tha ballot.

I don’t have a problem with who’s not on the ballot. It’s who’s ON the ballot that makes it a noggin’-scratcher.

Centre Hice: New Canadiens rating systems

137. NightRyder says:

I don’t blame Martin for anything really. It’s the situation as a whole. He’s got his own ass to protect.

A coach in a non-hockey market or on a terrible team team can play the hell out of the kids and hope they get better. In Montreal, with the constant attention, it is simply safer and easier to slot in serviceable veterans who will not make mistakes. We’ve been doing that for years.

That way, we’ll always compete for the No. 8 playoff spot which will keep the rinks full and the critics at least halfway at bay.

Unfortunately, to win the Cup, you need young players who outperform their contracts. And we will never have enough of that in Montreal because they won’t get the chance.

As mentioned, Subban is a special case because of his talent. He is reflective of his own ability, not any coach. The others listed (and many more) are a reflection of our developmental philosophy.

It’s a catch-.22 that will continue to plague the team.

138. Bugs says:

Thank you, mods.

Please accept my apologies. It was my fault for replying to that very first post. I knew it was wrong and I did it anyway.

Won’t happen again.

139. SmartDog says:

I’m sure this is good but it’s waaayyyy too complicated for a lazy Saturday.

Where’s the game thread anyway?

———

Is the All-Star Game a Joke? Consider that Price isn’t there and Fleury is:

140. Everlasting1 says:

Go wash your mouth out with soap. Don’t forget to get behind the ears.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

141. NightRyder says:

Giguere is a former Conn Smythe winner and still a good goalie. Phaneuf is their captain, much like Gionta is ours.

Four Leafs does seem a little much obviously, but since they’re the centre of the hockey universe, their exceptional team requires exceptional representation!

142. christophor says:

awesome! ha!

143. Bill J says:

Sam – I am not the MOD – but remember the other day when you asked why your post was deleted ?

I see a MOD edited your post, perhaps that’s a hint ;)

144. Chuck says:

And neither one of those reasons warrants them even being considered for the game. If they were, every other former Con Smythe winner and team captain would be on the ballot.

Centre Hice: New Canadiens rating systems

145. nickster13 says:

Well id like to choose all of the above, but i guess Chin B will suffice cuz its likely lower, and thus more epic

146. NightRyder says:

I’d say winning a Conn Smythe Trophy warrants you being on the ballot until you die.

Phaneuf’s inclusion is silly, much like Gionta’s. That was my point there.

As for the other two: Burke probably untucked his shirt, mussed his hair and cried on Bettman’s lap to include Kessel, to justify trading away two lottery picks; and Kaberle, so he can call him a potential all-star when he flogs him later this season.

147. TorontoHabsFan says:

Giguere has the 35th best GAA in the NHL.

Dion Phaneuf was goalless and a -6 before getting injured.

Kaberle has 7 pts, tied with Hamrlik.

And for some bizarre reason, Mark Streit, who has yet to play a game, is on the ballot.

The ASG is pretty ridiculous anyhow…oh well.

148. HabsTrueBlue says:

For this year I will gladly take all of our current 7 d-men before O’Byrne. I think O’Bryne said it best. “(He) had every opportunity here”. I don’t think any criticism of JM is warranted

149. HabsTrueBlue says:

I would argue that Pittsburgh, Detroit, and New Jersey all won the cup without meanigful contributions from young players outperforming their contracts.

I don’t think JM is coaching to protect his ass. He’s coaching to win the cup.

150. Hagar says:

Fleury is a gold medal winning olympian.

151. Bugs says:

Yikes. If only.

I got smacked around all day. From Lars Eller on down. Mostly my own fault. Got what I deserved.

But…damn!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

152. habitual says:

You are entitled to your opinion (or if I recall, having your cousin doing your thinking), but get off the “Martin is the reason  Subban is good bandwagon”, you make yourself look foolish.

Subban showed he belonged in the NHL in his first game. And, everyone, including octegenarian ushers, could see he would have to rein in his youthful exhuberance at the NHL level.  Subban has been projected by TSN to win the Calder trophy based on his play last year, and would have been picked no matter who is coach is.  Martin isn’t the reason PK is going to be a star.

153. Bugs says:

I wish. Then, it’d just be me on this site.

I’d erase ALL y’all.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

154. habitual says:

PS:  Pyatt is developing because of Martin?  The Pyatt I’ve seen this year has regressed.  And that I put on Martin.

155. Bugs says:

I’d go a step further but I’m on the edge of the cliff as is…

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

156. Shiloh says:

Spacek could give one of his chins to TSN’s Gord Miller.

157. Shiloh says:

If there was an all-star vote today, I’d check off AK46′s name.

158. Everlasting1 says:

Don’t give an inch, Bugs. You’ve been berated and unfairly accused. And you’re right..fbkj was just blowing smoke.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

159. Chuck says:

What does that have to do with his inclusion on the NHL all-star ballot?

Centre Hice: New Canadiens rating systems

160. Hagar says:

You got me. I resign.

161. Stuck_in_To. says:

I want to know why Taylor Hall is not on there … oh well, I will just quietly hope the league does not use a number of dumb loop holes to name Price or Markov to the team. I agree with those saying the rest will do the team good.

162. fbkj says:

no smoke, waited for bugs, then took a looooong walk afterwards

163. manorrd says:

Nice to see Halák there on the list.  Go Jaroslav!!

Other than that, we’re not really a team of All Stars, are we?  Gotta give Markov his props, for sure.  Other than that, let’s win as a team and send the Ovis and the Crosbys out to the golf courses while we pursue the cup as a team.

164. fbkj says:

peace bugs,

contributing to this site means a lot to me, if we have our beefs well take it elsewhere, good win tonite

165. gK_HabsFan says:

Streit is on that list… and he hasn’t even played a game this season!!

HAHAHA

-GK-

166. Pay Julay says:

Nor will he be even close to ready by the time the game is played…. What a friggin joke!! That list is crap!

167. krob1000 says:

For Chris if he is out there…went to the Fronts game last night andlow and behold Taylor Doherty scored a hatty…his first three of the season! Spooner is very, very good……makes incredible decisions with the puck and is dangerous from anywhere…..great skater, great passer, great hustle.  I couldn’t believe it when Doherty potted his third…heck I couldn’t believe it after he netted his first (the first of the game)…I thought about our exchange after htat but all game long he made me look foolish….both he and Gudbranson looked very into the game….

168. TomNickle says:

Spooner might be really talented but an eighteen year old who demands a trade has got some serious issues with reality.

169. christophor says:

but, but….Giguere?!

I guess this goes to show there are at least 18 goalies that are better than Price.

170. Hagar says:

This ballot is a hoax. It has to be.

171. munch17 says:

I’m glad CP is not on the ballot.

He needs to focus and work hard and build on what he’s done. The worst thing that happened to him was being voted to the team two years ago.

Don’t get me wrong – he is becoming a premier NHL goalie. He makes it look easy.But being voted an All-Star will inflate his value and his head.

172. Aybara says:
    “But
    he couldn’t have done worse than he had on his only other attempt to
    score as a goalie, his own major-junior Tri-City Americans defenceman
    getting in the way of his shot.
    Hey Dave did you watch the Vancouver game?? I’m pretty sure that was an attempt to score.
  173. wd40 says:

thanks Captain obvious.

174. TomNickle says:

You asked.

175. fbkj says:

your welcome professer why the hell did you ask if you knew it was obvious

176. Storm Man says:

The Adidas you have on must be a little tight today.

177. fbkj says:

breakin in my new docs today

178. ZepFan2 says:

Why is that?

Maybe you need a little…footstompin music?

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

179. Bugs says:

Because he was JOKING.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

180. MTLForever says:

not impressed with the list at all, when i saw streit i laughed. he is a good player, but you don’t put someone on there who has a long-term injury

181. smiler2729 says:

If the All-Star ballot selections are based on their play last season how the HELL does Giguere, Phaneuf, Kaberle and Kessel get on there at all??? The Laffs finished 2-f’ing-9th out of 30!!!!

Whatever, the ASG is a joke anyway.

God, I wish Bettman would be replaced, he’s so out of touch (was he ever in touch?)

182. Danno says:
    This line was funny…
    “I
    told him to shoot,” said Gomez, who had scored the Canadiens’
    insurance goal midway through the period. “Then he bobbles it between
    his legs and I’m thinking, ‘Jeez, are you kidding me?’ “
    But it should be the other way around, it’s Gomez who needs lessons from Price on shooting the damn puck.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

183. SmartDog says:

Scary that Gomez can even make people bobble the puck just by talking to them.  I thought he had to shovel-pass onto their skates to make that happen. :P

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

184. habinypsi says:

OB played 25 min, 3 SoG and was +1, good for him

185. SmartDog says:

I can see that makes you happy in your pants.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

186. SmartDog says:

Good EARLY Saturday morning!

A couple of thoughts on these articles:

1. BURKE.  The Brian Burke article is well written and worth a read.  Laffs have lost their last 7.  Ouch!  If they don’t pick up their socks, Boston is going to be unstoppable for a decade.  Except maybe by us.

2. PRICE. Would’ve liked to have seen Price take a shoot at the Boons net.  He’s been awesome. But does anyone else think Auld should play a bit more often and give they guy a night off every 5 or 6?

3. GOMER. Thinking about this line from the article:  Thursday’s goal was the product of to-the-net industry that Gomez sometimes forgets or simply skates around.  I’ve been saying for the past couple of weeks that everything else aside, he’s spending too little time in front of the net. For an 800-game veteran, you’d think he’d know that you don’t do much scoring (or even that much assisting) from behind it.  I hope it sticks this time. He’ll do more damage out front.  He has to stop cutting corners… a style that seems to date at least as far back to high school (read the article).

4. PLEX and PRICE. Not on the All Star Ballot.  WTF?  I’m not a believer in the almighty Toronto bias like many here. But I’m starting to wonder.  FOUR LAFFS on the ballot.  Give me a f-n break.

5. TEAM PLAY. Gotta hand it to Martin and the coaches.  The team is playing like a team.  And to Gainey. Obviously I don’t like all of his aquistions… but guys like Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill, have brought some extra spirit and focus to this team. Subban too seems to bring extra energy – seems to talk to everyone on the bench and share that real drive to succeed. These things matter.

6. ELLER. I like Eller. I like his smarts, I like his game. He can go another 10 games without a goal, if he keeps playing like this I’ll still like him. I think he’s one of those guys that might go his whole rookie year and score just 3 or 4 and then next year come back and score 20.

7. JUST ONE THING. One of the articles called the Gomez line our “third line”. In Boston Gomez played about 10 minutes. This is fine except that what is our top goal-scorer doing on the third line?  Just because Gomez got demoted (it was overdue and seemed to do him some good), why is Kostitsyn dragged down too?  I didn’t check his TOI but I hope he was getting tossed a few extra shifts.  We need his shot, and even though he’s slowed, he controls and protects the puck so well, it’s obvious he’s still ready to go.

Go Habs!  Hope it’s a good one tonight.  The teams been awesome to watch.  Hate to say it – I really do – but I can’t help but think we’re due a stinker.  Dang! I said it.  :P

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

187. habstrinifan says:

I like your take on Eller. I totally agree. Let him be where he is now.. I dont care if he doesnt score a single goal for now. He looks like he’s gonna be a fearless playmaker type player once he garners all his skills. Looks good for our future.

You didnt mention Pouliot. Same thing.. leave him where he is. Improving and ASSERTING himself. This is what he needed. Pedigree players need pedigree influence. Keep it hush hush but I see signs of that power forrward’ on a young prospect because I think becoming a power forward is a long term project but he may just be climbing up that trajectory.

Is it just me or are we seeing slowly but surely the youth of the team becoming key ingredients and the short term future main players while the veterans are providing the steadying and ‘take the pressure’ leadership.

Even moving Lapierre to Gomez’s line is increasing the youthful dynamism. Leave him there TOO.

188. smiler2729 says:

1. BURKE. I dislike him intensely, he’s full of himself and it’s poetic justice that the Leafs are at their worst under his watch.

2. PRICE. Who’s Alex Auld??

3. GOMER. Good hockey player in a bad slump. He’ll come around.

4. PLEX, PRICE, AS Ballot. Stupid but hey, it’s Gary’s World so whaddaya expect?

5. TEAM PLAY. Win as a team, lose as a team.

6. ELLER. Patience, he’s going to be top 6 within two years.

7. JUST ONE THING. Rolling 4 lines is a luxury few teams have, most have 3 lines and a 4th that picks splinters out of their numb butts.

Montreal 4, Carolina 3 OT

189. habsguy says:

you really should check the stats before you post,  he played almost 15 minutes,  NOT 10 !!!

190. LizardKing1967 says:

Giguere is there and NOT Price. What the !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Damn Toronto Hockey World

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

191. sholi2000.com says:

Bah, let the NHL pretend that the world revolves around the Leafs.  They’ve been a joke since 1967 and Burkie just gave them all a big Chill Out :)  I wonder if they got it.

OK road trip to Portage La Prairie for a 0945 game. Gotta love Atom hockey.

ROB;

I say play Price till he drops.  He’s sat around enough, and he hates it.  He took it, be he hated it.  Good Man.

Jerry;

Montreal was awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Next year buddy, next year.

They Call Me Shane

192. Clay4bc says:

Why would Gomez lose any sleep? He’s being paid $8 million for doing almost nothing. Sounds like a sweet gig to me. I bet he sleeps very well.

__________________________

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

193. smiler2729 says:

Alex Auld has a sweeter gig, a million or so to just put on goalie equipment and watch.

194. geo_habsgo says:

I for one am happy that Price is not on the all-star ballot. I fully blame the all-star game for his mini meltdown two years ago. I want him to just play hard and avoid distractions. I fear for him.

195. sholi2000.com says:

I’ve always known that Carey could shoot, but watching he and Subban at the pore game skate last Saturday was amazing.  I can’t believe none of us took video.  The guy was one timing shots with his goalie stick and PK was staking the pads and trying to stop him.

I want more pics please lol

They Call Me Shane

196. Number31 says:

There must be video! There’s ALWAYS video!

197. JF says:

I’d be happy if none of our players went to the All-Star game.  It’s just a distraction; the few days off will do them a lot more good.  Also, the longer the so-called experts dismiss the Habs, the better.  People see our playoff run last year as a Cinderella run and don’t think we’re for real.  Good.  Let them continue to rank us in the middle of the pack in the power rankings, let them go on thinking Price is a spoiled brat, let them say the team is too small, not tough enough, etc.  Under the radar is where I want to be.  If a team is expected to win the Conference or compete for the Cup, it usually doesn’t happen.

198. HFX-HabFan says:

Seriously, every single time?

199. SmartDog says:

That would have more impact if you didn’t have an Expos icon.  I mean really.. STILL?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

200. smiler2729 says:

HEY! Those are the Expos you’re mocking, my man! I loved the freakin’ Expos since ’72, they broke my heart a lot but none worse than 1994. Never forget the ‘Spos, SD, never.

201. Clay4bc says:

Good point…

Although, for me that would suck – I love hockey and am very competitive. If he is anything like that, he must hate sitting.

__________________________

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

The Habs players are not about being all-stars. The Habs players are about being all team.