Leafs 2-Habs 1: Post-game reaction

Gionta_001web

The Toronto Maple Leafs put a damper on the Canadiens season opener on Saturday, with a 2-1 victory at the Bell Centre.

Penalties proved costly to the Habs with the Leafs two goals coming on the power play.

The Leafs got on the scoreboard in the first period with a goal by Nazem Kadri and went up by two in the second period when forward Tyler Bozak scored.

The Habs showed more signs of life in the third period. And coach Michel Therrien said he liked the players reaction. “We tried to push the pace and pushed the play. Toronto played really well, too. You’ve got to give them credit.”

“Every time you lose the battle of the special teams it’s tough to win,” Therrien added. “And tonight we lost that battle.”

The Canadiens season-opener began with a torch-passing ceremony and included Habs legend Jean Béliveau, who suffered a stroke last year.

It was 18-year-old Alex Galchenyuk’s first NHL game and he was greeted with loud cheers from the crowd when he was introduced during the pre-game ceremony.

“I thought he looked good,” Therrien said after the game about the Habs first-round draft pick last June. “He didn’t put himself in trouble. He skated well, tried to make some plays.”

“We saw that he’s got the speed to play,” Therrien added.

“I think a lot of guys were pumped up, amped up ready for this game,” said goaltender Carey Price. “I think the body was there, the mind might not have quite been sharp enough.”

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta, who missed a big chunk of last season because of surgery to repair a torn bicep, scored in the third period.

The Leafs outshot the Canadiens 26 to 22.

The Canadiens next game is on Tuesday at the Bell Centre against the Florida Panthers. With the shortened 48-game season, clubs will only play against teams within their conference.

You can hear what Gionta had to say after the game below:

1. ZepFan2 says:

:hmm:

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

2. emann_222 says:

Well, the outcome was disappointing that’s for sure. Especially after all the wonderful pomp and circumstance that was the Opening Ceremonies. That basically WAS the night for Habs fans.

I for one was moved to tears in two ways. Firstly by watching Mr. Beliveau hold that torch and present it to Brian Gionta. Then I was moved to tears by the lack of play from the team.

Gotta stay positive though – it’s only game one. And even though there are a lot less games remaining this year than there would be any other year, I don’t think it’s time to panic yet.

Check out more of my thoughts on BBBR with my article:
    “Habs Opener Brings Thrills and Spills”

I’m just happy to have hockey back!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.com

3. while the boys had some spunk…it was sporadic and feeble. Kaberle is a joke, especially quarterbacking the first powerplay. with no other options available, Subban has to sign soon – or we will very soon be resigned to the basement of the league again.

4. frontenac1 says:

@durocher. Amen amigo ,I’ve been singing that same tune for months.I mentioned Erskine this summer and got slammed for it. He is on his last year of a$1.5 million contract so what are we taliking,750k? He can’t play top minutes but he is reponsible,won’t cause sh*t in the room and can tilt with any heavyweight.Trust me,he can clear the crease. Hanna was available this summer as was Bryan Allen.Allen signed in Anaheim .We have almost Zero physical presence at the back end and the rest of the league knows it.

5. frontenac1 says:

Niners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!

6. durocher says:

Defensemen who were scratches for their teams who we may want to take a look at, as we are soft on D and lack a big presence after Gill’s departure: Weber (Buf), Erskine (Was), O’Brien (Col), McBain (Car).

I’d cut Pleks a little slack because he was injured and may need more time to get into his groove. But, in honesty, if he does not improve, I would put him on the market. He had modest offensive contributions last season and only seemed to generate offense while shorthanded.

Our biggest problem, as I see it, is our D — even with PK signed, our bottom pairing is very vulnerable, particularly the 6th spot. Cube has the heart of a lion, but is undersized. Paired with another undersized or soft guy, like Kaberle, Diaz, or Weber, only spells disaster. We need a big body back there, plain and simple.

Hab fans have found a new chant.

8. HabFab says:

Is anyone else having a hard time getting in? I’m showing a blank screen when trying through my Bookmark. Had to go thru the Gazette to get in.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

OK so assuming we are a non-playoff team this year, who should we trade for picks at the deadline?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Kabrele please.

———————————–

• Chris says:

1. Andrei Markov
      2. Tomas Kaberle
      3. Brian Gionta

That would be my starter list. I’d be a bit surprised if anybody took the first two, but Markov will have value if he can show that he is injury free now. He obviously won’t be the same player, but put him with some forwards who actually know how to pass or receive a pass, and he could be a valuable addition to a team looking to make a run.

If somebody came knocking with a crazy offer for Tomas Plekanec, I would listen to that deal as well.

• nek25plus says:

Totally agree with regards to Plekanec, Kaberle and Gio. Plekanec because he just doesn’t get it. Kaberle because he just doesn’t have it anymore and Gio because we aren’t going to resign him anyway. Free up the cash. Markov is a wait and see.

And we are holding out on P.K?????????

10. Hockey Bob says:

Two years at 3.5 or P.K can cool his heels as a talking head on sports Net.

11. HabFab says:

A spreadsheet of the Habs Salary Cap for any amateur capologist to keep score;

12. Saintpatrick33 says:

Can we please stop with the torch ceremonies and put it in mothballs until we have a team that can be worthy of carrying it? 20 years without a cup now that torch was dropped long ago.

13. habsfan0 says:

For the second week in a row, Falcons blowing a big lead.

Fans are weary
    Can’t control
    Money signs in your eyes
    We will count them all

Let go your pride
    Don’t play this bluff
    Our patience wearing down
    Sign the bridge contract take the offer
    We need you around
    Sign the bridge contract take the offer
    We need you around

Fans are down and out
    Word on the street
    You’ve played your highest card
    I’ve got news you

You’ll make your mark
    when improvement comes
    Stop playin’ run around
    Sign the bridge contract take the offer
    We need you around
    Sign the bridge contract take the offer
    We need you around

There’s no bidding war
    So don’t try
    You’ve not yet hit your prime
    You’ll be a star some day

You’ve still got time
    To cash in big again
    If you play well and shine
    Sign the bridge contract take the offer
    Sign the dotted line
    Sign the bridge contract take the offer
    Sign the dotted line

15. punkster says:

Don’t know if anyone linked this earlier…as always J.T. nails it…in her usual calming and humourous manner.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

16. Puck Bard says:

I just got a drubbing in the supermarket because I happened to wear a Nucks hoodie out in public: Geesh, then did North Carolina become hockey town?

17. mrhabby says:

Yes..niners.

18. mrhabby says:

What’s the date of the trade dead line anyone.

19. Mavid says:

she is not here yet, all I have is ultrasounds..do you think they will work?

20. ed lopaz says:

Joey, I believe a fair price for Subban is around 5 million.

I have suggested a 1 year deal at around 4.5 million (I would go to 5 million if I had to) and then a long term deal next year.

if its a long term deal, of course in year 3, 4, 5, 6 etc he would deserve more then 5 million.

Subban is one of the top 20 defencemen in the league.

Yes. I said that and I stand by that comment.

I would say he is between #15 and #20 actually.

• twilighthours says:

None of that is controversial to us Ed. A lot of us, anyway.

• Habfan10912 says:

I couldn’t agree more, Ed

———————————–

• wjc says:

Lopez, that is what is wrong with the league. $5,000,000.00 a year is considered fair and not ridiculous.

Fans think of this as normal, business as usual. Why does this seem like a big joke. Then people say why can’t Montreal win like they used to?

Winning is not necessary when you are a guaranteed multi millionaire. When players mature, they demand money that one team cannot pay under the cap, so they go to another team.

When Canadiens were successful players stayed for there careers usually and players were moved to improve the team, not duck under a cap.

Is the cap necessary, yes. Teams would be racing to the top payroll wise in a hope they could play many rounds of playoffs.

System is they play for a while, demand and get big contracts and find they need help to get to the next level. However, there team mates that have talent are rushing for the millions for themselves.

I would do the same thing, show me the money, baby! Cups are nice but the money equals freedom and power. Sign a contract and be set for life even if it is a measly $3,000,000.00 a year.

This is insanity and the fans pay…..happily….looking for a little thrill. Fancy marketing strategies, waving at fans, torches, works its magic on the drooling dogs.

wjc

21. Mavid says:

we lost to the leafs, the sens won.. tomorrow is going to be tough, both will be planning their parade routes..

22. frontenac1 says:

Anybody see that security guard get smoked on the sidelines? Thought they were going to get the stretcher,then he got up and walked it off! He’s a big lad, I sure wouldn’t mess with him!

23. Habfan10912 says:

Stubbs reports nothing new in PK talks.

———————————–

24. ed lopaz says:

just to clarify this “offer sheet” idea.

My understanding is the following; if I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me.

we will NOT hear about an offer sheet unless Subban agrees to sign said offer sheet.

at this point in time, since Subban still wants to settle with the Habs, he will not sign an offer sheet,

and even if a team wanted to proceed, they would not get anywhere, and the information would not be released to the public.

• Habilis says:

I think you’re right, nothing gets announced unless PK signs something.

That being said, I almost think that MB would welcome an offer sheet at this point. That way he could either lock up PK long term, or if the deal is too rich, get a ton of picks. Plus either way, he gets to say “We didn’t break our rules, we just had no choice”.

The problem is, why would any team sign PK to a reasonable contract when they know Montreal is just going to match? That just helps the Habs.

• ed lopaz says:

if this is not settled this week, I think PK is done as a Hab.

• habstrinifan says:

I dont want to but I have to agree with you. I am to biased to honestly and seriously comment on demands etc. I wrote enough about what the rumours re chemistry mean and how they should have been addressed long ago.

But I will say without hesitation that once we lose P.K we wont be lucky to have a similarly exciting on ice persona (combination of skill talent passion) for a long time and that may include number 1 draft choices we may harness.

Anyone used to HABS hockey of the years gone by will think this sad.

• 24 Cups says:

Habilis – Not many offer sheets are reasonable. The idea is to try and blow the other team out of the water (i.e. Weber). A loaded offer sheet basically hurts the Habs in two ways. One is financial, in that they are forced to overpay. Secondly, it might give the next star rookie (Galchenyuk) a reason to hold out knowing that an offer sheet might come his way (and the Habs will pay it).

As for 1st round draft picks, they usually take 3 years before they hit the big team. With three picks from the offer sheet team, that makes it a 6 year process. Since the year 2000, only three Hab first round picks have amounted to anything -= Price, MaxPac and McDonagh. It’s not a slam dunk process.

• wjc says:

24 cups My take is there will be no offer sheets coming. Owners are united this time and if Subban goes he will be traded.

If a team were to make an offer sheet to Subban then the league is done and if Subban leaves it might be enough to wake up the ‘fans’ into realizing the deck is stacked.

Creative advertising and marketing gimicks will guarantee the beliefs continue. Put a tree up, decorate play the Christmas tunes and wallets start opening and the spending spree begins. Is this so hard to see and understand.

Hockey of yesterday is gone. The simple days of building a team are over. You finish low, you draft high, players that make it demand huge millions of dollars. You finish high, take a run at playoff time. Draft low, lose good players because you have to spend to a ceiling, start to slip…start process over again, repeat. Blame coach, blame manager, hire the next smart guy for a few years and repeat process.

Fans never catch on….wow.

wjc

• jols101 says:

You’re assuming staying in Montreal is more important to Subban then money. I would not make that assumption.

• ed lopaz says:

no. I was just stating the facts about the “offer sheet”. I tried to be clear about that.

I have no way of knowing what’s more important to Subban at this point.

Just his public statements which are clear that he wants to stay here LONG TERM.

• habstrinifan says:

Again I agree. And unlike many I am not putting all the blame on P.K.

When comparing Edler and Subban I think it’s important to remember the difference in experience:

Edler – 5 yrs/386 games/55 playoff games

Subban – 2 yrs/160games/21 playoff games

• ed lopaz says:

absolutely true. and the comparison is therefore not at all relevant.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s tough to come up with a comparison but I guess Carlson is the closest. I think Subban would get the nod over Carlson but the truth of the matter is that most of us have pretty well seen every game Subban has played while our knowledge of the other Dmen is quite limited.

Two years at 4M or six years at 5M seems fair to me. If Subban signs for two years it gives him a chance to fix 3 or 4 aspects of his game. If he does so, then he can really hit paydirt.

• ed lopaz says:

I think that’s very fair. And very much what we have been discussing around here.

Of course we have no way of knowing what THEY are discussing but it’s probably not nearly as logical nor as reasonable as our positions!!

Haha!

• Boomer says:

BANG ON 24.
          Two years at 4… 5 mill MAX.
          And if he’s worth more at that time give it to him…

26. jols101 says:

Philly 0 and 2 to start the year. Won’t sit well with ownership and management. Offer Sheet for PK here we come.

27. BJ says:

Buffalo 5 Flyers 2.

28. joeybarrie says:

Alex Edler is a pretty good indicator of where the Habs are on PKs contract.
    26 years old, 5 million a season. 40-50 points on the up side.
    Disciplined (few penalties), 23 minutes a game. decent shooting % for a D.
    And people are talking 6.5 for PK?????
    INSANE.
    Based on John Carlson, Alex Edler, Jack Johnson, and pretty much anyone else….. NO WAY is he going to get 6.5…
    Detroit is putting an offer sheet for him????????
    6 million a season? CRAZY. lose 1, 2, 3 round draft picks?
    STUPID.
    I love PK, but he has a way to go before he is worth 6 million.
    Be reasonable. 4-4.5 pay your dues and prove yourself.
    No offense to him, but he has the following:
    Shooting percentage 3.4% NHL ranking is 150th.
    Penalty minutes 119 NHL ranking NUMBER ONE….
    Giveaways 89 NHL ranking 3rd.
    Takeaways 26 NHL ranking 56th.
    Hits 105 NHL ranking 73rd.
    PowerPlay points 14 NHL ranking 24th (Tomas Kaberle had more last year in less games)
    0 Game winning goals
    EVEN IN TIME ON ICE PER GAME he ranked 18th…

So why is everyone thinking he is worth top ten money?

I love PK. WE NEED PK…. But not with a Scott Gomez contract.

• HardHabits says:

I endorse this comment.

• ed lopaz says:

joey,

can you please read the posts here over the last 3 months and let me know ONE post where the person said PK is worth top 10 money.

Not only is it not “everyone” who thinks he’s worth top 10 money, no one has claimed that PK should get top 10 money.

And who told you PK is asking for 6 million, cuz the talks have been entirely private?

• joeybarrie says:

I guess you havent read all the posts on here in the last few days.
        I have no inclination to go back and check it all out. But there have been many comments and one poster claiming his buddy works on the same floor, and 6.5 is the magic number.
        Twitter comments on here about Detroit putting in an offer sheet at 6 million per.
        But instead of me reading the posts to you, before you jump, you should read them yourself.
        Plus lets keep in mind the fact that Bob MacKenzie said that they were both FAR apart. I doubt highly MB is offering 2.5 million a season and PK is asking for 4.5……….

• ed lopaz says:

Your post was a total exaggeration of what’s been said around here;

Again, to repeat, you said EVERYONE THINKS HE DESERVES TOP 10 money.

That is totally not accurate. Not even close to what has been discussed around here.

Oh now I see. One guy says “he worked on the same floor!!”.

Wow! that sounds very credible.

I am starting to hope, for Subban’s sake, that he does get traded, because fans like you can spend your time cheering and supporting your buddy tom kaberle.

• joeybarrie says:

I guess its pretty stupid to like a guy who plays on my favorite team and has outscored all the other defencemen on my team…
            WHY DO I SUPPORT PLAYERS WEARING THE CH….
            I must be the worst fan in the world…
            YES EXAGERATION…. just like when I said EVERYONE…

• Habilis says:

I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t think PK is worth a dime more than 5.5 million per, and that’s only if the Habs buy some free agent years.

But it is possible that when McKenzie says that they are “far apart”, he means on term, not dollars. As was said, nobody knows the real story. But Meehan has been around the block. It would surprise me if his demands were that far off.

• ed lopaz says:

I don’t think PK is worth a dime over 5 million, myself.

• joeybarrie says:

@ED
            So you dont think he (PK) is worth over 5 million, but you do think he is a top 20 Dman right now in the league?????
            Are you aware all the top 20 Dmen in the league make OVER 5 million a year?

29. barry says:

Bring back the NHL13 simulations!

KHL Hockey’s not that bad…