Latest twist in the Kovalchuk saga

Larry Brooks of the New York Post had an exclusive late Wednesday night.

Brooks wrote the NHL is willing to grandfather the Kovalchuk, Luongo and Hossa contracts if the NHLPA, in essence, re-opens the CBA. Damien Cox’s take.

Pierre Gauthier lives in Vermont.

• Check out Mitch Melnick’s superb interview with Chris Chelios. Chelios says some very nice things about Red Fisher.

• If Antti Niemi – 26-7-4 with seven shutouts in the regular season; 16-6 in the playoffs with two shutouts, a .910 save percentage, a 2.63 GAA and his name on the Stanley Cup – is worth $2 million, just what is Carey Price holding out for? François Gagnon floats a familiar name: José Theodore

• Bruce Peter has been researching the Canadiens’ young talent for Robert L’s site

More surgery for Jacques Demers

• Kids, don’t try this at home! In the video below, Max Pacioretty does a 57-inch box jump – which means he can leap over Gary Bettman.

• Rien à voir avec hockey, but everyone has to do this way cool Arcade Fire/Google Map thing

qnhEzHdmJLg

1. Storm Man says:

Gagnon has no clue and what he thinks is irrelevant. Three-o-more now that is rich.

2. Tag says:

Carey Price’s agent will be live on Team 990 with Tony Marinaro now.

http://www.team990.com –>Listen Live

3. HabFanSince72 says:

1. No.

2. Do you mean the restaurant “Le Paris” or the strip club “Chez Parée”.

3. Neither.

4. Of course.

5. Le Club de Hockey Canadien de Montreal.

4. Mark C says:

Pretty much…minus the seven year age gap and Max-Pac’s considerable upside.

5. Curtoph says:

Yeah, but Moen can get by Gonchar and score a goal in the playoffs… 😉

6. Chorske says:

Heck, the article defeats its own point- Gauthier could sell Montreal to FAs by touting Vermont as a potential quiet place for the players to live, away from the stress of the city. It doesn’t matter to me whether they live in the city- they are generally away all summer, and away for half the time during the season, and the rest of the time they go places I can’t afford to go.

So frankly, I don’t give a flying fig where they live.

7. Chorske says:

1. No, but he could skate around him. But then, so can everyone.

2. Why would you curse Pouliot by making him follow in Kovy’s footsteps. Please, we want him to OVERachieve for a change. A permanent spot on line 2 and JMs foot up his ass every time he acts anything less than 100% motivated.

3. I think its a sign of how hard it is to properly guage a guy’s value these days. In Price’s case, it’s more about rewarding potential than achievement, which is tough in the current cap-limited NHL. As for the locker room- business is business and the guys understand that. I’m worried that the room didn’t like him much last year- at least, that’s how it looked to me.

4. Neither. I can’t think of any GM stupid enough to give up something irresistable for a prospect whoops never mind.

5. Toothpaste. Gotta be toothpaste. The kid has a two billion watt smile. Or Old Spice! Leaf fans! Look at your Dmen, now back to me, now back to your dmen, now back to me. It would be hilarious.

8. DAVE. N says:

..Interesting to see the NHL approach being taken to the contracts…surprising, as it is the TEAM Management that is circumventing their “absolutely essential,can’t live without it,we’ll all go bankrupt” salary cap that closed the NHL for a full season in desperation.

I’m certain the players’ and their Reps are all about getting the best deal, but where is the restraint the owners’ stated they had to have to stay viable.?

.. Now, the Bettman group wants to hold the NHLPA responsible for not following the spirit of the collective agreement.   As long as their management was in dissaray, the NHLPA was a great friend; as they’ve started to reorganize and stabilize, now not so much….

Not certain about the choice the NHLPA has made, but they at least have made one…

Sounds to me like a first shot is being sent across the bow.

9. StevieRay says:

Moen vs Pacs … pretty identical hockey skills  I’d say ..except Moen is more hardnosed … advantage Moen

10. StevieRay says:

Stand byyyyyy ME !   love it !

11. Rugger says:

and coffee with a splash of Maple Syrup (if the hurricane doesn’t hit hard, I’m going to VT this weekend Barre-Montpelier)

12. DAVE. N says:

IMO, Gagnon is talking without thinking..something he is known to do …Pierre Maguire wannabe…There is already a goaltender situation here, with a veteran Alex Auld providing back up support. The Habs have multiple options with the young UFA’s on the market, without bringing back a subpar ‘tender from the past…there was once a Vezina, but those days are well past.. Theodore got alot of mileage out of that season.

13. habfan01 says:

Don’t forget the slice of cheddar cheese( Cabot of course)

Mr. Stubbs,

Is this a pic. of your younger brother. What a summer vacation will do for a fella!!

15. derfab says:

They have invested and built around him and will lose face if it doesn’t work. But by delaying (harder to deny at this point) Price is giving the Habs (and himself) a way out.

Chelios’ own experience, and his comments on Wickenheiser’s collapse are an ominous reminder of what could happen here.

16. Rugger says:

As long as you eat Apple pie for breakfast you remain a Vermonter regardless of where you live.

17. Mr-T says:

Wow…Did you Gentlemen ever work at the Washington Post!

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

18. Rugger says:

Never too early in the day for a Homer reference

19. HFX-HabFan says:

Or even Carl Carmoni.  BIRRDIEEE!

20. habfan01 says:

Like I always said when I was away in the service- You can take a Vermonter out of the mountains, but you can’t take the mountains out of a Vermonter

21. Rugger says:

1. No, skate & helmet add too much to MAB.

2. Anything but the Kovy tapes!

3. Delay is neither, won’t impact locker room.

4. LeBlanc, Eller is much closer to the show.

5. Wheaties, breakfast of champions (but not until next June when he can be on the box with Wheaties in the cup)

22. sholi2000.com says:

Feelings of the day;

Hmmm Quebec, or Vermont.

I’ll take Vermont any day.  That state is beautiful.

Here is my chuckle of the day.  This is what some fool wrote on the Price page.

Two words…….Jose Theodore. Price is a P.O.S.

Why is it that I stare at my Summit ticket and smile?

Really enjoyed watching that Price video, must be fun to play one thing you love in the winter and another thing in the summer, and not to mention his fishing trips with his ol man Jerry.  Work hard all winter, play hard all summer.  That’s my motto.

Rock put a small chip on my new truck yesterday.  That’s a bummer.

Went for small run on Tuesday, headaches and nausea continue, take care of your brains people, you only have one.

Minor hockey starts in two weeks, and the Wheat Kings are starting their practice games soon

Lazy day today.  But it’s a great life to live.

They Call Me Shane

23. derfab says:

Yay, a (weird) list!

1. Within 2 years, Pacs is a respected top-sixer. Will the Habs wait?

2. Ditto. Could force an AK trade this year. Cammi moves to the RW.

3. Price is immature and unfocussed. I don’t like it.

4. For someone like Ryan I’d throw in Price, otherwise you have to keep Leblanc.

5. PK will have his own clothing and sports equipment line within 5 years.

24. Rugger says:

Without the threat of joining Canada, Vermont never would have been granted Statehood by the fledgling USA.  Thank you Canada for allowing me to be a Vermonter not a West New Hampshirite!  (yes, I live in Mass. now but my heart is still in the Green Mountains)

25. avatar_58 says:

You want me to buy a player t-shirt with “PRIX 31” on the back??

26. Number31 says:

Alright. Let me get this straight. For a while now many people here have (unjustifiably) called Price a mediocre goalie, a headcase, who can’t take the pressure and then François Gagnon floats the name Jose Theodore and that’s suddenly a good idea?

Time for Price to change his name to Carl Prix. Would solve all this in an instant.

27. Rugger says:

Thanks for the update.  Didn’t see the earlier stuff.

28. avatar_58 says:

Travis Moen. What an a-hole. I bet he eats children.

29. avatar_58 says:

I just don’t feel like re-downloading Chrome. Sorry I don’t want an ever-present google update running in the background, nor do I like the layout of that thing.

30. eyhp says:

Totally agreed with you Dave, why is it anyone’s business where he lives? If he and his family chose to live in Vermont for tax reasons, good for him. He doesn’t owe anyone an explanation, especially to someone like Martin Leclerc who enjoys making a big fuss out of nothing.

31. avatar_58 says:

The CBA is trashed? So long DENTAL PLAN!

Lisa needs braces! DENTAL PLAN! Lisa needs braces! DENTAL PLAN! Lisa needs braces!

32. Natrous says:

I hope no one breaks the news that Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray owns a home in Shawville, Quebec…

33. SmartDog says:

Surely he has a condo by the forum.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

34. SmartDog says:

Great articles today, especially Bruce Peter on our top 5 prospects. Almost makes you believe we have a future!

FIVE QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR UP-AND-COMING BRAT PACK:

1. That Max video is sick! This guy has power in his legs. If MAB was on the opposing team, could MaxPac jump over him? (The jumporama?)

2. Which would most help Pouliot become the break-out goal scorer we need him to be?  A permanent spot on the first line, a veteran like Cammalleri to mentor him, a walk on the waterfront with Bob Gainey and a few nights spent watching old Kovalev games, or a long Friday night at Chez Paris? (I was going to include 20 games with Boucher coaching him… sigh.)

3. If you had to pick one or the other, would you notch Price’s delay in signing as a maturing player wanting his due, or a prima donna wanting his way?  Will this hurt him in the locker room?

4. If a GM offered the Habs someone irresistable in exchange for either (our choice) of Eller or Leblanc, which would you let go?

5. Which of these brands would be a great fit for PK Subban as spokesperson?  Wheaties, Red Bull, Everready, or Prozac?  Or my personal pick… Hockey Canada. (Or Canada itself.)

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

35. Number31 says:

Vermont’s a lovely place. I envy him. Ironically there was a movement to separate and join Canada once…

I don’t know why it matters. Like there players, where he lives is his business. Just more nonsense to fuel the stupidty of it all.

The Molson boys have houses in the states, is this against Quebec law also.??

37. habfan01 says:

So- where in Vt does he live? Maybe we are neighbors and he can hook me up with tickets.

38. RGM says:

I think that, in the name of giving everybody on the team equal face time, we should spend a whole week ripping on Travis Moen. I have no real reason to pick him, but hey you gotta start somewhere.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

39. derfab says:

Bill needs the Vermont air for those cavernous nostrils.

40. J.T. says:

Pierre Gauthier doesn’t really have a fan base, does he?

41. RGM says:

False. As a member of the NHLPA and a guy that has enough respect for his team, Price sought permission to participate in the rodeo and they allowed him to perform only in the Team Roping events, which he accepted. This was mentioned in one of the earlier articles about Price’s rodeo performing – I don’t have the time right now to look up which one it was. If somebody wants to oblige on that, awesome. :)

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

42. Mr-T says:

1/ Skaters better then last few years… Only three new additional players minus players gone. Percentage increase?

2/ More offense and goals…When your tied for 23rd in GF it would be rather difficult to get much worse.

3/ Optimistic about team “may not win more games”… well then so much for that optimism.

4/ Credible goaltending…There is that optimism you meant.

5/ Riding a bull…Improves what skills in dealing with sportswriters and I do not think that he is overly concerned with what is said here.

6/ The team has not improved relative to the competition…The team has not improved relative to itself.

7/ Intangibles like maturity and experience… are these not tangibles.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

43. Dave Stubbs says:

Right, Mike.

A big deal’s being made about Gauthier’s 90-minute drive from Montreal. But if he lived 90 minutes due east of Montreal in No Postal Code, Que., that’d be fine.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

44. Mike Boone says:

I think Pierre Gauthier owes it to his fan base to live in a third-floor walk-up in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.

45. derfab says:

Jose played very well. He let one softie in on a Pleks slapper and was pulled, a mistake it turns out.

46. Dave Stubbs says:

It has occurred to me that the Canadiens DO have a right to be paranoid about the media when one of us knocks GM Pierre Gauthier for where he lives. WiFi and cellular communication and video conferencing in this day and age … and a guy’s mailing address is an issue? That he lives in Vermont is disrespectful of his employer?

(To think that Bill Haugland, the retired anchor of CTV’s Montreal news for decades, also lives in Vermont and I still would watch him. What a dope I was…)

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

47. derfab says:

Could be. Insurance, etc.

The delay has caused some PR trouble though and the Niemmi signing doesn’t help his bargaining position or his chances for success in Montreal.

Maybe its just the horses, but something just doesn’t smell right about this limbo ride.

Boys and Girls–

I just received a message from “Mr. Cary Price”, with a request.

He asked me to send this to all his Hab Fans.

Click Here for message.

49. avatar_58 says:

You know what amuses me? You thinking Markov and Gorges won’t do the same thing next year. Yet I bet no one will question their actions.

50. Chorske says:

Almost everyone I know has tried this and found it kind of fun and interesting and certainly one of the more unusual ideas a band has come up with in a while. You’re the first person I know who has been left feeling meh.

51. avatar_58 says:

Ugh. I liked Jose. I really did. Back then. Now? Not so much, I mean did you not see our series with them? Did you not see the year before as well? Theo is protected by his superstar scorers in front. Their gameplan is to score 2-3 goals everytime the other team does.

52. derfab says:

Maybe it’s silly, but I am somewhat impressed that a kid who weighs 212lbs can jump over midgets. I hope the Habs don’t give up on this guy.

Worst case scenario is that Pacioretty eventually takes Moen’s spot. He’s already a better skater with better hands who can cause more trouble on the forecheck.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

In fact, until next week it’s “everyone’s on vacation”: Gauthier, Price and Price’s agent.

54. terrygain says:

The latest Pricebotism: Price not signing  when he has Gauthier over a barrel doesn’t hurt the team, but talking about it does.

Try to distinguish between your feelings and the welfare of the team.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

55. Rugger says:

Maybe the rodeo is the cause of the delay.  He is not under contract right now so the Habs cannot say no rodeo.  Maybe he just had his mind set on playing cowboy this summer and will sign as soon as he is done.

56. Puck Bard says:

You don’t have to have an allegiance to either based on geography, if you like ’em you like ’em.

57. sisu says:

“Just because they’re from MTL doesn’t mean you have an allegiance to like them.”

Are you talking about the Canadiens, or Arcade Fire?  Is an allegiance to one more irrational than an allegiance to the other?

58. derfab says:

Gagnon gives a pretty fair take on the situation. Theodore showed that he can still play and would be a very solid addition if Price is really being difficult.

Admittedly, since the kid is busy doing the rodeo buckaneer thing, maybe someone should make a cotton pickin’ effort to actually get something from the horse’s mouth.

Bring a lump of sugar.

59. BJ says:

It makes the most sense and keeps the “cheating” element away.

60. habfan01 says:

Easiest way around these long term deals is that whatever salary you make in a given year is the cap hit for that year.

61. Rugger says:

Agree completely.  Until a practice session is missed, it is negotiation not hold out.

62. Puck Bard says:

Not feeling the love for Arcade Fire or their trendy Google app video. What’s next, plug in your favorite Ebay purchase and watch 360 degree footage of that Krups coffee maker you’ve been wanting?

Just because they’re from MTL doesn’t mean you have an allegiance to like them. It’s that CD you hear featured on the CBC… you know the one. The one Band Apart convinced you to buy but when you download it it never enters the rotation ’cause its just that uninspiring.

Can we sign Price already?

63. HabFanSince72 says:

This is the third time this week that this blog refers to Price “holding out” or “being on strike”.

He’s not holding out, as far as anyone knows.

Now the biggest twit at La Presse jumps into the fray.

This is just shabby sensationalism  and it only hurts the team.

Subban near the top of the list for young defensive prospects.

Ryan McDonagh is ready to test the NHL waters.

66. danedmunds says:

wow, if the goal of hockey was to complete a 57″ box jump max pac might be good at it!

67. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m getting guardedly optimistic about this team. If the core remains uninjured and Pouliot and Kostityn come around, they should be entertaining. Eller has potential, and with a little more seasoning, the badly rushed Pacioretty may be a decent forward. Markov, Gorges and Subban should be quite a core. The supporting cast is reasonable, and if they play hard, could be excellent. The skaters are better over all than we’ve seen for a few years.

There should be more offence and more goals, and I predict more solid work from the defencemen than we saw last year. Subban will have his rookie moments, but should be very very good.  They may not win more games even with more goals due to he who cannot be named being in the wrong town, but there’s a chance of credible goaltending.

I’m impressed with Price’s off-season regime of learning how to ride the bull – it should help for dealing with some of the sportswriters and a lot of the HIO posters over the next season.

On paper, the team has not improved relative to the competition, but on ice, intangibles like maturity and experience matter, as will health. If all the pieces come together, it’s a top half of the league team with speed and skill up front.

68. The Cat says:

I might consider it…for a small fee of course ^_^

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Guess we know which prospect is the MVP when they play pick-up basketball during training camp.

Hope to see Pacioretty break the roster out of training camp this season, he’s got good tools but he never seems to throw it all together when he plays for the Habs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. BJ says:

I guess his nickname could be Max the cat. Last cat nickname on the Habs could have been John “Black Cat” Gagnon player in the 1930’s. I wonder if Max could clear the boards coming off on a quick line change?

71. observer says:

These greedball owners are killing the once golden goose of pro sports. Texas Rangers in bankruptcy, Phoenix Coyotes of NHL too, some NFL owners in financial difficulty as well – LA Dodgers now:

72. The Teacher says:

From the Nick Kypreos numbers on Sprtsnet-

2019-20: $4 million

2020-21: $1 million

They cannot do this from what I understand. The salary cannot drop that much from one year to the next!!!!?

I thought your salary next year cannot be less than 50% of this year’s salary??(example)

73. SnowManHabs85 says:

Maybe Max Pac should step on Bettman, now that would be entertainment.

74. habs63 says:

with a jump like that, why isn’t Max playing BBall.

On another note, SJ def stuck it to Chi this offseason. Good thing SJ and No Show Joe loves to choke every playoffs.