Latest twist in the Kovalchuk saga

Larry Brooks of the New York Post had an exclusive late Wednesday night.

Brooks wrote the NHL is willing to grandfather the Kovalchuk, Luongo and Hossa contracts if the NHLPA, in essence, re-opens the CBA. Damien Cox’s take.

Pierre Gauthier lives in Vermont.

• Check out Mitch Melnick’s superb interview with Chris Chelios. Chelios says some very nice things about Red Fisher.

• If Antti Niemi – 26-7-4 with seven shutouts in the regular season; 16-6 in the playoffs with two shutouts, a .910 save percentage, a 2.63 GAA and his name on the Stanley Cup – is worth $2 million, just what is Carey Price holding out for? François Gagnon floats a familiar name: José Theodore

• Bruce Peter has been researching the Canadiens’ young talent for Robert L’s site

More surgery for Jacques Demers

• Kids, don’t try this at home! In the video below, Max Pacioretty does a 57-inch box jump – which means he can leap over Gary Bettman.

• Rien à voir avec hockey, but everyone has to do this way cool Arcade Fire/Google Map thing

qnhEzHdmJLg

1. RGM says:

That’s the thing that makes all of this so bizarre, and it’s really just another symptom of the inability of the League’s GM’s to control themselves. We’ve heard all this talk about how just about every team employs a “capologist”/numbers guy to ensure that the team remains within the constraints of the salary cap/imposed budget, yet look at the troubles that more than half of the NHL’s teams are facing right now. It’s absolutely ridiculous; yes in this particular case Kovalchuk is partially to blame given his outlandish demand of not settling for anything less than $100M over the duration of whatever deal he signs, but a team like New Jersey–which has a number of good young assets that are going to want their own piece of the pie in the coming years–that is known for being so conservative and astute doing this deal seems so out of the ordinary. That said, it doesn’t appear that Lou’s 100% on board for it, and ownership may be forcing his hand.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

2. spcbrass says:

The NFL has a similar structure, but signing bonuses don’t count against the cap.  So you see these players getting 10-15 million in guaranteed money right up front and then 5-6 million per year with their actual salary (minus bonuses) going towards the cap.  It’s a different system, but it still has it’s flaws.

3. Psycho29 says:

I couldn’t believe it when I heard the discussion about the article on CKAC yesterday afternoon. It was Michel Villeneuve and that annoying commentator Jean-Charles about the fact the GM of “Les Glorieux” lives and pays taxes in Vermont. Also, “how are we supposed to attract free agents to Montreal when the GM lives in the states.” Like an FA is going to base his decision on that. They also mentioned that Gauthier had problems with Bill-101 back when he was with the Nordiques, that he wanted to send his children to English school.

Of course they opened the lines on the subject. One caller suggested “Monsieur Molson” should force him to live here. :-(

4. RGM says:

That should be an interesting chat. Hopefully somebody will be able to put up a recap of all the important stuff.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

5. HabFanSince72 says:

Personally I think he can live where he wants.

However, when a very wealthy and prominent member of the community, who works for an important cultural insitution,  chooses his living arrangement in order to skip paying taxes, it is an issue.

It would be an issue if a Quebec MP did this. Sure, as GM of the Canadiens you aren’t holding public office, but you aren’t a regular private citizen either.

6. Storm Man says:

Gagnon has no clue and what he thinks is irrelevant. Three-o-more now that is rich.

7. Tag says:

Carey Price’s agent will be live on Team 990 with Tony Marinaro now.

http://www.team990.com –>Listen Live

8. HabFanSince72 says:

1. No.

2. Do you mean the restaurant “Le Paris” or the strip club “Chez Parée”.

3. Neither.

4. Of course.

5. Le Club de Hockey Canadien de Montreal.

9. Mark C says:

Pretty much…minus the seven year age gap and Max-Pac’s considerable upside.

10. Curtoph says:

Yeah, but Moen can get by Gonchar and score a goal in the playoffs… ;)

11. Chorske says:

Heck, the article defeats its own point- Gauthier could sell Montreal to FAs by touting Vermont as a potential quiet place for the players to live, away from the stress of the city. It doesn’t matter to me whether they live in the city- they are generally away all summer, and away for half the time during the season, and the rest of the time they go places I can’t afford to go.

So frankly, I don’t give a flying fig where they live.

12. Chorske says:

1. No, but he could skate around him. But then, so can everyone.

2. Why would you curse Pouliot by making him follow in Kovy’s footsteps. Please, we want him to OVERachieve for a change. A permanent spot on line 2 and JMs foot up his ass every time he acts anything less than 100% motivated.

3. I think its a sign of how hard it is to properly guage a guy’s value these days. In Price’s case, it’s more about rewarding potential than achievement, which is tough in the current cap-limited NHL. As for the locker room- business is business and the guys understand that. I’m worried that the room didn’t like him much last year- at least, that’s how it looked to me.

4. Neither. I can’t think of any GM stupid enough to give up something irresistable for a prospect whoops never mind.

5. Toothpaste. Gotta be toothpaste. The kid has a two billion watt smile. Or Old Spice! Leaf fans! Look at your Dmen, now back to me, now back to your dmen, now back to me. It would be hilarious.

13. DAVE. N says:

..Interesting to see the NHL approach being taken to the contracts…surprising, as it is the TEAM Management that is circumventing their “absolutely essential,can’t live without it,we’ll all go bankrupt” salary cap that closed the NHL for a full season in desperation.

I’m certain the players’ and their Reps are all about getting the best deal, but where is the restraint the owners’ stated they had to have to stay viable.?

.. Now, the Bettman group wants to hold the NHLPA responsible for not following the spirit of the collective agreement.   As long as their management was in dissaray, the NHLPA was a great friend; as they’ve started to reorganize and stabilize, now not so much….

Not certain about the choice the NHLPA has made, but they at least have made one…

Sounds to me like a first shot is being sent across the bow.

14. StevieRay says:

Moen vs Pacs … pretty identical hockey skills  I’d say ..except Moen is more hardnosed … advantage Moen

15. StevieRay says:

Stand byyyyyy ME !   love it !

16. Rugger says:

and coffee with a splash of Maple Syrup (if the hurricane doesn’t hit hard, I’m going to VT this weekend Barre-Montpelier)

17. DAVE. N says:

IMO, Gagnon is talking without thinking..something he is known to do …Pierre Maguire wannabe…There is already a goaltender situation here, with a veteran Alex Auld providing back up support. The Habs have multiple options with the young UFA’s on the market, without bringing back a subpar ‘tender from the past…there was once a Vezina, but those days are well past.. Theodore got alot of mileage out of that season.

18. habfan01 says:

Don’t forget the slice of cheddar cheese( Cabot of course)

Mr. Stubbs,

Is this a pic. of your younger brother. What a summer vacation will do for a fella!!

20. derfab says:

They have invested and built around him and will lose face if it doesn’t work. But by delaying (harder to deny at this point) Price is giving the Habs (and himself) a way out.

Chelios’ own experience, and his comments on Wickenheiser’s collapse are an ominous reminder of what could happen here.

21. Rugger says:

As long as you eat Apple pie for breakfast you remain a Vermonter regardless of where you live.

22. Mr-T says:

Wow…Did you Gentlemen ever work at the Washington Post!

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

23. Rugger says:

Never too early in the day for a Homer reference

24. HFX-HabFan says:

Or even Carl Carmoni.  BIRRDIEEE!

25. habfan01 says:

Like I always said when I was away in the service- You can take a Vermonter out of the mountains, but you can’t take the mountains out of a Vermonter

26. Rugger says:

1. No, skate & helmet add too much to MAB.

2. Anything but the Kovy tapes!

3. Delay is neither, won’t impact locker room.

4. LeBlanc, Eller is much closer to the show.

5. Wheaties, breakfast of champions (but not until next June when he can be on the box with Wheaties in the cup)

27. sholi2000.com says:

Feelings of the day;

Hmmm Quebec, or Vermont.

I’ll take Vermont any day.  That state is beautiful.

Here is my chuckle of the day.  This is what some fool wrote on the Price page.

Two words…….Jose Theodore. Price is a P.O.S.

Why is it that I stare at my Summit ticket and smile?

Really enjoyed watching that Price video, must be fun to play one thing you love in the winter and another thing in the summer, and not to mention his fishing trips with his ol man Jerry.  Work hard all winter, play hard all summer.  That’s my motto.

Rock put a small chip on my new truck yesterday.  That’s a bummer.

Went for small run on Tuesday, headaches and nausea continue, take care of your brains people, you only have one.

Minor hockey starts in two weeks, and the Wheat Kings are starting their practice games soon

Lazy day today.  But it’s a great life to live.

They Call Me Shane

28. derfab says:

Yay, a (weird) list!

1. Within 2 years, Pacs is a respected top-sixer. Will the Habs wait?

2. Ditto. Could force an AK trade this year. Cammi moves to the RW.

3. Price is immature and unfocussed. I don’t like it.

4. For someone like Ryan I’d throw in Price, otherwise you have to keep Leblanc.

5. PK will have his own clothing and sports equipment line within 5 years.

29. Rugger says:

Without the threat of joining Canada, Vermont never would have been granted Statehood by the fledgling USA.  Thank you Canada for allowing me to be a Vermonter not a West New Hampshirite!  (yes, I live in Mass. now but my heart is still in the Green Mountains)

30. avatar_58 says:

You want me to buy a player t-shirt with “PRIX 31″ on the back??

31. Number31 says:

Alright. Let me get this straight. For a while now many people here have (unjustifiably) called Price a mediocre goalie, a headcase, who can’t take the pressure and then François Gagnon floats the name Jose Theodore and that’s suddenly a good idea?

Time for Price to change his name to Carl Prix. Would solve all this in an instant.

32. Rugger says:

Thanks for the update.  Didn’t see the earlier stuff.

33. avatar_58 says:

Travis Moen. What an a-hole. I bet he eats children.

34. avatar_58 says:

I just don’t feel like re-downloading Chrome. Sorry I don’t want an ever-present google update running in the background, nor do I like the layout of that thing.

35. eyhp says:

Totally agreed with you Dave, why is it anyone’s business where he lives? If he and his family chose to live in Vermont for tax reasons, good for him. He doesn’t owe anyone an explanation, especially to someone like Martin Leclerc who enjoys making a big fuss out of nothing.

36. avatar_58 says:

The CBA is trashed? So long DENTAL PLAN!

Lisa needs braces! DENTAL PLAN! Lisa needs braces! DENTAL PLAN! Lisa needs braces!

37. Natrous says:

I hope no one breaks the news that Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray owns a home in Shawville, Quebec…

38. SmartDog says:

Surely he has a condo by the forum.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

39. SmartDog says:

Great articles today, especially Bruce Peter on our top 5 prospects. Almost makes you believe we have a future!

FIVE QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR UP-AND-COMING BRAT PACK:

1. That Max video is sick! This guy has power in his legs. If MAB was on the opposing team, could MaxPac jump over him? (The jumporama?)

2. Which would most help Pouliot become the break-out goal scorer we need him to be?  A permanent spot on the first line, a veteran like Cammalleri to mentor him, a walk on the waterfront with Bob Gainey and a few nights spent watching old Kovalev games, or a long Friday night at Chez Paris? (I was going to include 20 games with Boucher coaching him… sigh.)

3. If you had to pick one or the other, would you notch Price’s delay in signing as a maturing player wanting his due, or a prima donna wanting his way?  Will this hurt him in the locker room?

4. If a GM offered the Habs someone irresistable in exchange for either (our choice) of Eller or Leblanc, which would you let go?

5. Which of these brands would be a great fit for PK Subban as spokesperson?  Wheaties, Red Bull, Everready, or Prozac?  Or my personal pick… Hockey Canada. (Or Canada itself.)

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

40. Number31 says:

Vermont’s a lovely place. I envy him. Ironically there was a movement to separate and join Canada once…

I don’t know why it matters. Like there players, where he lives is his business. Just more nonsense to fuel the stupidty of it all.

The Molson boys have houses in the states, is this against Quebec law also.??

42. habfan01 says:

So- where in Vt does he live? Maybe we are neighbors and he can hook me up with tickets.

43. RGM says:

I think that, in the name of giving everybody on the team equal face time, we should spend a whole week ripping on Travis Moen. I have no real reason to pick him, but hey you gotta start somewhere.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

44. derfab says:

Bill needs the Vermont air for those cavernous nostrils.

45. J.T. says:

Pierre Gauthier doesn’t really have a fan base, does he?

46. RGM says:

False. As a member of the NHLPA and a guy that has enough respect for his team, Price sought permission to participate in the rodeo and they allowed him to perform only in the Team Roping events, which he accepted. This was mentioned in one of the earlier articles about Price’s rodeo performing – I don’t have the time right now to look up which one it was. If somebody wants to oblige on that, awesome. :)

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

47. Mr-T says:

1/ Skaters better then last few years… Only three new additional players minus players gone. Percentage increase?

2/ More offense and goals…When your tied for 23rd in GF it would be rather difficult to get much worse.

3/ Optimistic about team “may not win more games”… well then so much for that optimism.

4/ Credible goaltending…There is that optimism you meant.

5/ Riding a bull…Improves what skills in dealing with sportswriters and I do not think that he is overly concerned with what is said here.

6/ The team has not improved relative to the competition…The team has not improved relative to itself.

7/ Intangibles like maturity and experience… are these not tangibles.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

48. Dave Stubbs says:

Right, Mike.

A big deal’s being made about Gauthier’s 90-minute drive from Montreal. But if he lived 90 minutes due east of Montreal in No Postal Code, Que., that’d be fine.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

49. Mike Boone says:

I think Pierre Gauthier owes it to his fan base to live in a third-floor walk-up in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.

50. derfab says:

Jose played very well. He let one softie in on a Pleks slapper and was pulled, a mistake it turns out.

51. Dave Stubbs says:

It has occurred to me that the Canadiens DO have a right to be paranoid about the media when one of us knocks GM Pierre Gauthier for where he lives. WiFi and cellular communication and video conferencing in this day and age … and a guy’s mailing address is an issue? That he lives in Vermont is disrespectful of his employer?

(To think that Bill Haugland, the retired anchor of CTV’s Montreal news for decades, also lives in Vermont and I still would watch him. What a dope I was…)

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

52. derfab says:

Could be. Insurance, etc.

The delay has caused some PR trouble though and the Niemmi signing doesn’t help his bargaining position or his chances for success in Montreal.

Maybe its just the horses, but something just doesn’t smell right about this limbo ride.

Boys and Girls–

I just received a message from “Mr. Cary Price”, with a request.

He asked me to send this to all his Hab Fans.

Click Here for message.

54. avatar_58 says:

You know what amuses me? You thinking Markov and Gorges won’t do the same thing next year. Yet I bet no one will question their actions.

55. Chorske says:

Almost everyone I know has tried this and found it kind of fun and interesting and certainly one of the more unusual ideas a band has come up with in a while. You’re the first person I know who has been left feeling meh.

56. avatar_58 says:

Ugh. I liked Jose. I really did. Back then. Now? Not so much, I mean did you not see our series with them? Did you not see the year before as well? Theo is protected by his superstar scorers in front. Their gameplan is to score 2-3 goals everytime the other team does.

57. derfab says:

Maybe it’s silly, but I am somewhat impressed that a kid who weighs 212lbs can jump over midgets. I hope the Habs don’t give up on this guy.

Worst case scenario is that Pacioretty eventually takes Moen’s spot. He’s already a better skater with better hands who can cause more trouble on the forecheck.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

In fact, until next week it’s “everyone’s on vacation”: Gauthier, Price and Price’s agent.

59. terrygain says:

The latest Pricebotism: Price not signing  when he has Gauthier over a barrel doesn’t hurt the team, but talking about it does.

Try to distinguish between your feelings and the welfare of the team.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

60. Rugger says:

Maybe the rodeo is the cause of the delay.  He is not under contract right now so the Habs cannot say no rodeo.  Maybe he just had his mind set on playing cowboy this summer and will sign as soon as he is done.

61. Puck Bard says:

You don’t have to have an allegiance to either based on geography, if you like ‘em you like ‘em.

62. sisu says:

“Just because they’re from MTL doesn’t mean you have an allegiance to like them.”

Are you talking about the Canadiens, or Arcade Fire?  Is an allegiance to one more irrational than an allegiance to the other?

63. derfab says:

Gagnon gives a pretty fair take on the situation. Theodore showed that he can still play and would be a very solid addition if Price is really being difficult.

Admittedly, since the kid is busy doing the rodeo buckaneer thing, maybe someone should make a cotton pickin’ effort to actually get something from the horse’s mouth.

Bring a lump of sugar.

64. BJ says:

It makes the most sense and keeps the “cheating” element away.

65. habfan01 says:

Easiest way around these long term deals is that whatever salary you make in a given year is the cap hit for that year.

66. Rugger says:

Agree completely.  Until a practice session is missed, it is negotiation not hold out.

67. Puck Bard says:

Not feeling the love for Arcade Fire or their trendy Google app video. What’s next, plug in your favorite Ebay purchase and watch 360 degree footage of that Krups coffee maker you’ve been wanting?

Just because they’re from MTL doesn’t mean you have an allegiance to like them. It’s that CD you hear featured on the CBC… you know the one. The one Band Apart convinced you to buy but when you download it it never enters the rotation ’cause its just that uninspiring.

Can we sign Price already?

68. HabFanSince72 says:

This is the third time this week that this blog refers to Price “holding out” or “being on strike”.

He’s not holding out, as far as anyone knows.

Now the biggest twit at La Presse jumps into the fray.

This is just shabby sensationalism  and it only hurts the team.

Subban near the top of the list for young defensive prospects.

Ryan McDonagh is ready to test the NHL waters.

71. danedmunds says:

wow, if the goal of hockey was to complete a 57″ box jump max pac might be good at it!

72. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m getting guardedly optimistic about this team. If the core remains uninjured and Pouliot and Kostityn come around, they should be entertaining. Eller has potential, and with a little more seasoning, the badly rushed Pacioretty may be a decent forward. Markov, Gorges and Subban should be quite a core. The supporting cast is reasonable, and if they play hard, could be excellent. The skaters are better over all than we’ve seen for a few years.

There should be more offence and more goals, and I predict more solid work from the defencemen than we saw last year. Subban will have his rookie moments, but should be very very good.  They may not win more games even with more goals due to he who cannot be named being in the wrong town, but there’s a chance of credible goaltending.

I’m impressed with Price’s off-season regime of learning how to ride the bull – it should help for dealing with some of the sportswriters and a lot of the HIO posters over the next season.

On paper, the team has not improved relative to the competition, but on ice, intangibles like maturity and experience matter, as will health. If all the pieces come together, it’s a top half of the league team with speed and skill up front.

73. The Cat says:

I might consider it…for a small fee of course ^_^

74. SeriousFan09 says:

Guess we know which prospect is the MVP when they play pick-up basketball during training camp.

Hope to see Pacioretty break the roster out of training camp this season, he’s got good tools but he never seems to throw it all together when he plays for the Habs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

75. JD_ says:

You may or may not recall my Stockwell Day straddlin’ his competin’ constituents comment from the other day, when all of this stuff started surfacin’. It’s factored in.

76. keepthefaith says:

UGGH.  Now Boone is starting with these useless facts.  Switch Price to chicago last year and start Neimi in games where  Price started and Habs shit the bed and lets compare records.  You are starting to sound like Red Fisher with these Price headlines and posts.

77. Bill H says:

So Pacioretty can jump 57″…big deal.  I can do that myself!

Oh, wait, that was 17″.  Okay, 57″ is pretty good.  Now if he can show that kind of spring in his stride when he is skating around an opposing defenseman, then he might be able to make the team.

78. rocketsglare says:

4 keys to a Habs successful season:

1) Price playing to his potential

2) Kostitsyn and Pouliot contributing

3) Bottom 6 forwards contributing

4) Discipline and commitment

What do you guys think.

79. nunacanadien says:

Big diff is Price would have blown the cup, whereas Niemi won when he had to.

80. Curtoph says:

BGL Scored a hat trick for Edmonton when he played there… On his personal site he says that he liked scoring but had to transition into being an enforcer to get a job in the NHL. :P

81. Curtoph says:

Can’t make these one-track minded people think differently, might as well let them hate on their own team :)

82. keepthefaith says:

OH i  guess your some sort of psychic. Chicago would have won with you in nets.

83. Tag says:

1) Top 10 power play

2) Top 10 penalty kill

3) Top 10 5 on 5 scoring

4) Less (or better yet, no) injuries to core players on the roster

84. WarHero says:

Just like Halak blew the Philly series?

————————————————————————

85. Mark C says:

Niemi had a .882 SV % in the Finals. Do you really think Price couldn’t have done that?

For some respective, Price has had only 3 months in his NHL career with a SV% below .882%, one month he played only 1 game, and the other 2 months he had 4 and 7 starts respectively. Those two months were back-to-back in 2008-09 after he came back from his ankle injury.

Do you still think he would have blown the Cup? If so you’re just a hater.

86. pic1983 says:

YOu never hear all the halak supporters talk about how halak’s SV% in the philly series was 0.884.

87. SeriousFan09 says:

Not one person in Canadian politics I’d trust with a majority government right now. Except Gilles Duceppe and that’s mostly for the comedy. Always maintained Gilles is the man least interested by seperation because it would effectively end his cushy double-dipping in QPP and CPP and the easiest job in Canadian politics.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

88. WarHero says:

Of course not, that would be admitting Halak is not that God they seem to think he is.

————————————————————————

89. nunacanadien says:

What about Price’s 4 up and 4 down to the Bruins under Bob Gainey as the coach?  You don’t hear Price supporters quote those wonderful statistics.  Heck Halak’s agent rightfully added the 100 or more loss slump that Price was in, heck add that to last year 20 wins and 49 losses, that ain’t much of a record to be standing behind.

90. Mark C says:

Price’s SV% in that series was only .004% worse than the great Niemi’s in the Cup Finals.

91. nunacanadien says:

What about April 23, 2009, when Carey Price like a former hab goalie Roy, returned the tremendous outpouring of fan support (or so Carey Price fans would have us believe) but in reality, Price returned the boos with waving back at them, and this was interpreted as unsportsmanlike by many.  I guess that moment all but sealed in the minds of many, that Carey does not have a lot of fan support inside the Bell Centre….

92. nunacanadien says:

Imagine that with a coalition govt, Prime Minister Iggy with Vice Prime Ministers Duceppe and Vice Prime Minister Layton, we’d have ruling party of the month, it would be interesting what the BQ would do when it came to their turn to govern…..

93. nunacanadien says:

Nope, Jackboy Martin is gonna have Gill lie down in front of the net, while Auld and Price sit on the bench collecting their millions.  Oh yes Bob Gainey, we’re such bullies you have to sit your goalie down….and pay him full contract price doing that.  Great GM material, blame the fans for your boy’s bad luck and inablity to fit into the NHL standard of play.

94. Shiloh says:

Isn’t it nice to see that the Moms have let their little Carey fanboys use the computer? We all know that Price has received unreal preferential treatment – in what other sport can lack of skill translate into winning a job and demanding a big payday? Halak won the job and deserved to stay as our Number 1 goalie. Price – not so much.

95. nunacanadien says:

Hey, don’t tell me the black sheep is pink.  I watched the Blackhawks and Niemi made incredible saves, he had his heart in it, he had the hawks solidly behind him, the same way the Habs were behind Halak but were just outmuscled and outsized by Chris Pronger, and of course their goalie had a very lucky streak.  I am sure if Price was in there, he would have crumbled eventually, ankle injury or not, as Price crumbled in the Allstars, as he did against the Bruins, and of course pathetic all during the playoffs this year.  Sure maybe one day, Price can outplay Niemi.  But don’t diss Niemi cause hey, Niemi played well in the playoffs, even though he sucked all year.

96. nunacanadien says:

That’s like saying, oh he crashed only at 120 as opposed to Niemi’s 140 mph, both are terrible statistics if you want to win.  Big diff is Niemi had a scoring Chicago Blackhawks, and Price let in floaters in very close games losing 2-1 and most times late in the game making it almost impossible to come back for this team of shrimps.  At least Niemi knew when to let them in, and when to keep them out and win.

97. B says:

Halak had a .884 save% against Philly and .923% overall in the playoffs (tops).

Niemi had a .882 save% against Philly and .910% overall in the playoffs

Brodeur had a .881 save% against Philly, his only playoff series.

Price had a .818 save% against Philly and .890% overall in the playoffs

98. Mark C says:

This wasn’t a floater:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfXnpYpVbs

Niemi gave up 7 3rd period goals in the Finals…are you sure he knew when to keep them out and win?

The differance is that Niemi played for a great team and Price played for a good team. And thats not Price’s fault.

99. WarHero says:

The fact is this, Philly exposed Halak’s weaknesses so you can be sure that the WHOLE league took nitice of it :)

————————————————————————

100. nunacanadien says:

I find it interesting that Price who has a pathetic playoff record, not finishing some games but being yanked but still pulling an impressive save percentage, all but skews his statistics.  Niemi won games, but not only Niemi.  Price lost games but not only Price, he did not have his team behind him.  Everyone in the NHL remembers 07-08 and 08-09 as bad years where Price figured prominently, both in being injured but still labled as Number 1, but also posting terrible losses after his injury.  Niemi and Price have totally different histories, but alas, only one has won the Stanley while the other, apparently winning the Calder Cup guarantees you a lifetime job with the Habs, call him Senator Carey Price.

101. B says:

They finished dead last in 5 on 5 scoring last season, a jump to top 10 would be great. At least they can’t finish ranked any lower than last season :)

102. nunacanadien says:

The Habs all but reinforced the message – in what other sport can lack of skill translate into winning a job and demanding a big payday? by agreeing to pay off BGL.  I wonder if Price will turn out to be another lazy player who after sitting on the bench, realizes “hey they pay me to sit on the bench the same price as they pay me to work hard, so let’s lose and sit on the bench”…..heck, I’m waiting to see if Price will start out saying he’s a pacifist and a vegetarian and that the meat eating Habs fans are to blame for his lack of willingness to win…..oh yes, didn’t Bob Gainey already say that for Carey Price on April 23, 2009?

103. nunacanadien says:

Geeze, I wonder if Niemi posted a 20 win and 49 loss record also?

104. B says:

Your comment seems more of an opinion than a fact to me.
    My point was that Philly did a good job of scoring in the playoffs against every team / goalie they faced. In comparison to the other goalies who played against Philly last playoffs, Halak appears to rank well.

105. Jordio-oh says:

Ouch. sharks sign Niemi.

106. observer says:

thats why sharks are right up near the top each year. a real competant gm. note- they already had signed nittymaki but when they saw they could do better they went ahead and made the move. unlike the hesitators here gainey/gauthier who NEVER will admit they made a even obvious bad trade or move.

107. Storm Man says:

Ouch? did a shark bite you?

108. Shiloh says:

Don’t know why the Montreal media is so up in arms about Gauthier living in Vermont, which is French for “green mountain”. There are many Vermonters with francophone names – it’s arguably got more francophone history than most places in Canada.

But I’m still pissed at Gauthier for shipping out Halak for a song. That was a brutal move. Hopefully, the lads will get off to a fast start and the excitement of a new season will dull the pain.

109. Storm Man says:

You like Sharks Tony? so what sharks attacks humans more Great whites or Bull sharks?

110. HFX-HabFan says:

Tony, you have been in fine form ever since the calendar hit September.  Can we have an 88 reference though?  Shocked that it’s been slowly dropped from your arsenal.

111. rocketsglare says:

Bettman I feel is going to use the Kovalchuk contract impasse to undue the current CBA and is it

no wonder that the NHLPA sensing a possible “cold war” has prepared by hiring the very competent

Donald Fehr to represent them. It seems that both sides are preparing and gearing up for possibly

a long and nasty fight.

112. observer says:

i repeat – they are right up there each year and for awhile now – that is what keeps teams up as players change rapidly – top management. like detroit, jersey, pollock in his day much smarter than his opposite gms. because i make a comment about an obvious far superior mind running the sharks than the 2 here – does not mean i like or am a fan of the sharks.

113. Jordio-oh says:

In case your memory is blurry, San Jose chokes in the playoffs every year and has had to make a series of adjustments over the years, only to fail over and over again. Presidents trophies are fun and all, but the cup is all that matters and the habbies went just as far as San Jose did last year.

We’ll see if Niemi can post a 2.25 gaa and 7 shutouts with Dan Boyle and Douglas Murray instead of last year’s Norris winner and his partner who isn’t bad either.

ps Niemi’s save % last year was .912. The exact same as another player we know. This whole idea about wins being the only thing that matters in a goalies stat is such an unbelieavable crock of sh!t. Wins are a team accomplishment. The percentage of pucks of stop is a very telling stat as a goalie.

114. Jordio-oh says:

hah, thankfully not. It’s an ouch situation for the Hawks since Niemi signs with the Sharks for less than what arbitrators concluded that the Hakws pay him.

115. observer says:

cant you read? i said right up there each year. of course when they get knocked of the the conf finals or semis they “choked” but when the habs went to the conf finals or semis once in 17 years – you think they did great. i repeat – they are one of the top teams each year because they are well managed .

116. observer says:

don’t fret – gauthier got auld and price a 20-49 goalie in his last 69 won-loss decisions. tsn —- agreed to a one-year deal worth $2 million with the Finnish keeper.

117. rocketsglare says:

We may be able to rope and jump our way to a Stanley Cup. Keep it up boys.

118. Jordio-oh says:

Poor Tony, so lost.

119. Storm Man says:

OMG…… It that what I asked you? Your mind has run a muck.

120. observer says:

youre right – i am lost. they are right up there year after year because their gm does not know what he is doing.

121. observer says:

This whole idea about wins being the only thing that matters in a goalies stat is such an unbelieavable crock of sh!t. — who said it was the only stat? fact is there were other goalies on the very same team to compare halak and niemi to and playing behind those same teams price was about the 20th or worse in most stats and halak as high as #4 in some and better in about all or all stats. same thing probably in chicago with him and huet playing behind the very same team. and like halak having a far superior record than the other goalie on his team – wakey wakey – thats why both these teams used niemi and halak in the playoffs BECAUSE THEY WERE THE BEST ON THE TEAM. But gauthier got auld for just a million less than niemi as he wasted a million raising pouliot for no reason and signing darche.

122. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s actually latin.

123. HabFanSince72 says:

To change the subject, did anyone see the latest Canadian election polls?

The Greens are up to 13.5% a hair behind the NDP.

How does this strike you: The Hon. Georges Laraque, MP.

124. AndyF says:

You can tell the CBA was written by lawyers.  There is enough needless ambiguity built into it to ensure that nothing is clear, that everything is in a grey zone, and that there is no predictability.

For clarity, the CBA should have said: “Every dollar spent in a year is subject to *that year’s* cap”.  No averaging, no grey zone.  Just total clarity.   But no.  The NHL and NHLPA had to make it ugly.   It’s now a “spirit, not letter” thing.   And no one knows what to do.

Q: Why don’t the lawyers write the rulebook so that it’s clear and predictable?

A:  Because there’s no money in it.  The guild member must be be paid, and paid handsomely, that’s why.

AndyF

125. RGM says:

Good. They can split the fringe vote and let the serious people do serious things. Time for that Ignatieff majority!

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

126. observer says:

gauthier knows his habs days are numbered and he will live the rest of his life in the usa – starting soon and never again paying quebec or canada taxes.

127. avatar_58 says:

Ouch what? We have a goalie. Oh wait, you actually BELIEVE in the nonsense that Price was striking? You guys need to realize 2 things-

A) the team will not sign any magic pieces before training camp – ergo the lineup is set
    B) Price will sign.

128. observer says:

norman, you are talking about fishes and it is “my” mind gone amuck?

129. GrimJim says:

You know, I’m starting to think Observer/Tony in real-life is the Hulk. He got irradiated in some medical experiment gone wrong while looking at a picture of the Habs management at the 2009 Draft and now every time he hears or sees PG, BG or JM he goes from a normal human being to enraged Hulk…

“PG GRRR Tony Smash!!!!”

130. observer says:

about many things starting from losing canadian teams, more water down expansion too southern climes, balsillie episodes, a lockout plus whatever is looming now – NEVER under ANY nhl commissioner befor Bettman has there been this much trouble and it never ceases.

131. observer says:

Georges Laraque, MP.—– say what?? —

PM Georges Laraque

132. Tag says:

Price’s agent interview on Team990 being replayed now. http://www.team990.com –> Listen Live

133. Jordio-oh says:

See below.

It has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with San Jose raising the price on hjalmarsson through an offer sheet and then the hawks refuse to pay Niemi what the arbitrators awarded him only for the sharks to turn around and sign him.

I suppose i should have elaborated in my initial post.

134. avatar_58 says:

Ah, yes that can be seen as an ‘ouch’ move. San Jose is basically bending them over the table.

135. Mr-T says:

Who then would be next on the list for your self-deprecating TIRADES?

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

136. Rugger says:

the VM in UVM is latin (checked my diploma for that one), but I thought the name Vermont was a distortion of Champlain’s calling it green mountains.

“…French sent famed explorer Samuel de Champlain
    down the St. Lawrence river and into the giant lake that would
    eventually bear his name – Lake Champlain. At first sight, the Francophile dubbed the surrounding
    lushness “Verde Mont” (Green Mountains) and claimed it in the name of
    France.”

137. Storm Man says:

Your bang on.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

138. volcano62 says:

wow this sucks. i guess we’ll be stuck with Theo now?

139. RGM says:

It’s a real shame that Tag’s excellent recap of the Johannson/Marinaro interview has already been bumped down to the second page and gotten so little love – an excellent first-hand source of what is actually happening attracts far less attention than rumours and innuendo posted solely to stir the pot. Carry on, as you were, etc.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

140. JIMVINNY says:

Please, please tell me you’re joking.  Harper’s no picnic, but Ignatieff would be a nightmare.

141. Propwash says:

Nope, were gonna be “stuck” with Price.

That must surely rub you the wrong way eh? lol

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

142. Tag says:

Thanks RGM.

Hopefully the  habsinsideout admins could get their hand on an audio clip from Team 990 and post it on the site.

143. volcano62 says:

whatever…the goat better admit his screw up with “the trade” and let Price sit out his RFA status. At this point we are better off with calling red light racicot out of retirement.

144. volcano62 says:

were we able to call in? i wanted to let him know that im going to see Halak in fairview on saturday and that i look forward to seeing Theo back in nets this year.

145. RGM says:

That’d be nice – I’d like to listen to it when I get home.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

146. Omit says:

T

When asking questions of certain people you must not use such big words.

147. secretdragonfly says:

Careful JV, I once had the audacity to comment on a proposed government policy and was subjected to a sarcastic, venom-laced tirade by a poster who believes that no one else in the country is qualified to make political judgements or is entitled to express an opinion.

148. fuhgawz says:

i think cause so few on HIO seem to support Carey and would like to see him excell.  I for one wish him well for this coming season this IS his time.  It seems many in the Montreal media, hockey critics, and “fans” want nothing but failure for this kid i have a feeling they will all be wearing a foot in thier mouths all season long.

149. _Habsoloutly_ says:

At one point in time some folks in San Jose coveted Carey Price.  I would much rather have Price than Niemi,  Price is not as bad as some have made him out to be.  My only worry with Price is his longterm committment to this franchise, I worry that he’ll get fed up with the media and psycho fans here and bolt when he’s UFA.

150. JD_ says:

* So, on precisely the same day the San Jose Sharks sign Antti Niemi for money he probably could have received from his beloved Blackhawks, except for the fact his seemingly drug-addled agent Bill Zito is delusional, this happens. Earlier today, the kindly folks at Guinness World Records officially recognized the concurrent events as the “Fastest Ever Contact Between S*** and a Fan”.

* Awesome. Assumin’ the Larry Brooks piece is accurate, nature continues to take her course. NHL’s tryin’ to get ‘er done before Fehr’s officially got his boots on, not that it really makes any difference. If the ploy is successful, and, at this point, I’m very doubtful of that, I’ll have to start referrin’ to Ilya as Kovaluck. Like Indiana Jones scamperin’ under the door that’s closin’, reachin’ back and grabbin’ his hat just before the final clamp down.

* From this piece on the Niemi signing, “Zito’s [Antti's agent Bill Zito] comments to reporters and radio hosts in June portrayed a man in a position of leverage. He placed himself above the media, the Blackhawks, and worst of all, his client. His interviews made you walk away saying ‘there’s no way that guy agrees to a deal.’ Obviously, Zito didn’t do his homework.” If by “didn’t do his homework” the author is implyin’ that Bill Zito was freebasin’ candycaine, then we’re totally on the same page.

* Bill Zito has just released the followin’ statement, “I want to congratulate my client Antti Niemi on the groundbreaking contract he has just signed with the San Jose Sharks organization. *puff puff pass* I will soon be checking my voicemail, which is undoubtedly overflowing with players clamouring for my services.”

* Carey Price hasn’t signed™. In other news, did some quick, back-of-the-envelope math after readin’ this. PM Stephen Harper’s Conservatives are about a dozen seats short of a majority in the House of Commons. They hold 11 of 75 seats in the Province of Quebec. The population of Quebec is around 8M. For the sake of simplicity, that’s about 100K per seat, notin’ ridings obviously come in different shapes and sizes. Although there are no hard-and-fast rules, it costs the feds anywhere from $250K to $1M in government spendin’ to create one job; let’s just call it $500K per job. So, spendin’ the equivalent of half the money for a new ‘Diques arena, or about $200M, on job creation would buy Harper 400 direct votes, maybe 10,000 when all the latent goodwill is factored in. That’s a measly 10% of the people in just one ridin’. Meh. Now, coughin’ up $200M for the construction of a new professional-calibre arena? Oh, I’d say that buys you about 1M one-time-only votes. That’s 10 seats, a couple shy of the dozen seats Stephen needs. Nice. Welcome back, ‘Diques!

* From the Gazette piece on Jacques Demers’ recent brush with death due to botched surgery, “Demers says family members were told at the time that he was between life and death.” Havin’ been at the bad end of those two options some seven years ago, due to precisely the same thing that happened to Jacques, I extend truly heartfelt best wishes to one of the really good guys in pro hockey.

151. fuhgawz says:

-50

for fangasm over Jaro is getting stagnant either go cheer for the Blues or shut it and support the team you says you cheer for.

152. volcano62 says:

I’ll repeat…i’m NOT a Price fan I am a HABS fan. Doesn’t mean i have to accept their bone head moves they do once and awhile.

153. sholi2000.com says:

Any bets on Theo playing in the KHL because no one wants him in N.A.  His days as a solid NHL goalie are over.  I loved him while he was a Canadien, but that’s the past for sure.

They Call Me Shane

154. Tag says:

RGM: just in case Habsinsideout doesn’t do it, I’ve been assured by the folks at Team 990 that the audio will be posted on their site.

155. fuhgawz says:

I’ll Repeat PRICE is part of the Habs support the Habs you support Price and EVERY other player who is going to have a GREAT year or a POOR year Hockey is meant to be a team sport cheer for it like a team sport do not single out someone all are created equall behind the CH that means Jaro and Carey WHEN Jaro was here … but alas he isn’t — wish him well he was fantastic but we move forward as a TEAM.

156. sholi2000.com says:

Thanks for the recap HIO member TAG

Recap of Tony Marinaro’s chat with Gerry Johanson (Carey Price’s agent)

Q: Did Price ever threaten to strike if he doesn’t get 3 mil?

A:
    silly twitter message, nothing to it. Not one time has that come up,
    never discussed, never had one of his players miss training camp. Price
    will definitely will be at training camp, never an issue. Not worried
    about losing any leverage in negotiations by stating that.

Negotiations have been very very positive – tone positive.

Length
    of time of negotiations is very normal, means nothing. Understands’
    peoples concerns, but from inside the business, the time its taking is
    normal.

Q: Has Carey asked agent: “get me X amount”

A: No. The process has taken time, but zero animosity between 2 parties

Q: Was he rushed to the NHL?

A:
    No. If you you look back to Calder cup, performance was impressive. One
    of the best goalie performances I’ve seen. Gainey and Gauthier are very
    smart, know what they are doing (by fast tracking him). There is never a
    straight line to success, there are bumps, especially being Habs goalie
    (pressure cooker)

Other points:

- Price excited about being a Hab

- Price doing rodeo as a way to to mind off hockey at the suggestion of his agent

- Price is in great shape

- Price is training in Kelowna

- Price is perfect to handle pressure cooker that is Montreal

They Call Me Shane

157. volcano62 says:

He wasn’t that bad the last 2 years.

158. volcano62 says:

So when Price lets in floaters in every game and causes the TEAM to lose I should be happy with what we have? WOW!!!!

159. B says:

I have read that Champlain actually said “vers monts” or towards the mountains. I believe that in French the adjective is usually after the noun, as in “les monts verts” rather than before it as in “les verts monts”? My French is not very good so perhaps someone more qualified can comment if this is true or not. If so, then perhaps Champlain is not the actual source of the “green mountain” nickname but rather it may stem from a misunderstanding (or something else entirely)?

160. fuhgawz says:

right cause playing for a team the scores goals in bunches has NOTHING to do with it.

161. fuhgawz says:

this coming from the person who would rather have Theo after the way the Habs embarrassed him during the playoffs …. as in your words WOW

162. RiverviewCanadien says:

Good to hear things are not at a stalemate.

Hope the kid signs soon to put this all to rest.

163. volcano62 says:

We have a team that should be scoring the same goals (Cammy, Gionta and im expecting a good season from AK, Boyd (yes the new guy) and Pouliot.

164. volcano62 says:

Boudreau jumped the gun by pulling Theo so quick.

165. HabFanSince72 says:

You didn’t factor in lost votes in other provinces.

166. B says:

Or perhaps when Price becomes a UFA he will simply do as most players do and go for the best contract offered to him?

167. JIMVINNY says:

If Boudreau doesn’t pull Theo there, Habs win in five.

168. Rugger says:

I took Vermont Geography and Place-Name Geography at UVM and they also could not definatively say the source of the name, guess it will have to live on in legend like Champ the sea monster and that there are more cows than people in Vermont (don’t believe that was ever true).

169. fuhgawz says:

your choice of Boyd to score more the Eller tells me all i need to know about your knowledge of our team.

170. volcano62 says:

Boyd can score with ice time:

2005-2006 Moose Jaw Warriors-WHL 64 48 42 90

Eller never posted numbers like this. now im questioning how well you know the team.

171. fuhgawz says:

even BGL scored in junior so those numbers mean nothing

172. WarHero says:

Good Blog by Eric Engels :)

————————————————————————

173. RGM says:

“Price is not as bad as some have made him out to be.”

Yourself included.

Careyful what nice things you say about Carey Price, you might get called a “psycho fanboy” or even worse. :)

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

174. Tag says:

My pleasure sholi2000.

In the absence of information, rumors will reign.

175. SeriousFan09 says:

Now to be fair, Chris Pronger hasn’t retired yet, give him some catch-up time and you must always count the Dirty Hits Per Game (DHPG) stats. There’s another schmuck who gets away with it all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

176. andrewberkshire says:

After that, its hard to argue. No person in sports has gotten away with more dirty hits than Chris Chelios. I especially loved the explanation by the league for the last decade of his career that well respected veterans get leeway from referees. Nice to see a 20 year old kid knock his block off.

177. Tony000 says:

I don’t think he could hold a candle to you, in that department.

178. derfab says:

Very good hit, Ovechkin is known for them.

But there’s no “knee on knee”, merely the kind of annoying goalmouth interference you expect from any savy defenceman.

That Chelios gets up after the head shot without going to the bench to have his visor wiped is equally impressive.

179. andrewberkshire says:

Speaking of old man Chelios so often, this clip actually made me like Ovechkin a lot more than I have ever before. In a patented Chelios move, he goes for the knee on knee for no reason, and Ovechkin shows him up.

180. Chorske says:

I’m definitely on team Ovechkin.

181. mike g says:

Mike G’s Thursday Morning Thaughts:

- If I was PG, I’d make an example out of this whole situation; step down as GM of the Habs. Sure, it’s an awsome and prestigeous job, and I’m sure it’s a ton of fun. But nobody should ever have to be publicly humiliated and/or questioned about where they live. This MTL media is getting insanely annoying and rediculous.

- Kovalchuk; go F-yourself. That’s all I have to say about him. I’ve simply had enough, and I just baught some extra monopoly money on ebay, so that when I’m sitting in the reds when the Devils come play here, I’ll shoot him stack of fake money when he passes my section by. Cuz that’s what he’s about, money and a fake team player.

- Dear Max Pac, I saw your vid where you basically jump over a fridge. I bet you can strike a deal with JM that you make the top 6 if you can jump over his big ears. Tough feat, but worth a try.

- And finally…..F-U Kovalchuk once again. Ya greedy Ruskie. Go home ya bum.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

182. RGM says:

On the first point, that’s either a sign of incredibly thin skin, selfishness, or short-sightedness. Probably a combination of all three. PG’s not going to torpedo the team and commit career suicide over a stupid newspaper article.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

183. observer says:

Good question asked on that page in english about him paying less taxes living in vermont – off the huge money he earns off captive canadians here who only spend money on the habs after paying higher canadian tax rates. ANOTHER reason he deserves not thyis job. Only the 100th reason though. First one his total incompetance. But glad to see the French media recognizes the fraud he is and always has been in his many previous failures.

184. Storm Man says:

I hear you Mike. I see it is more important for some in the Montreal media to be up in arms about where someone lives but better yet make up stories on twitter. I would think the Montreal media would have a little space to talk about Mario Lemieux. I think for one of the best players to come out of Quebec to get to be an officer of the order of Canada should get some air time. Gagnon wants to talk about bring Three-o-more back to the Habs….. Sad state some in the press have become.

185. HFX-HabFan says:

Let’s be honest, it’s mostly the sensationalist French media.

186. Mr-T says:

Make an example…Step down as GM…That is an incongruous proposition. Why would he even consider doing something so arcane. Who other then a few narrow-minded people, are really concerned with where he lives. To resign under these circumstances would be absurd, bizarre and irrational. PG certainly would not get any respect or support from the general public, hockey players or other GM’s if he decided to do this.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

187. mike g says:

Or…

That could be a sign of not taking sh*t from idiots. If PG is a capable NHL executive, which I think he knows he is, finding a job with another NHL club won’t take too long. So career suicide pretty is kinda harsh to estimate…

All I know is that the MTL media surrounding the Habs was terrible, and now has just been kicked up a notch. From taking pictures of our players in hospitals, to filming them at their house while their injured, to now complaining that one of our execs doesn’t live in MTL. Who the f-uck cares!!!!

What ever happened to privacy? Does your boss or the media follow you home to take pictures of you? No, I didn’t think so because that’s plain insanity. It’s rediculous on all levels, there’s just no justifying it.

Then we wonder why none of our “own” Quebec born players don’t wanna play here. Then we wonder why 75% of UFA’s don’t even look at the Habs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

188. observer says:

Likes vermont better than quebec and also why you see so few francophones on this team.

189. observer says:

If PG is a capable NHL executive, which I think he knows he is  —–   ??????????? — almost 30 years in nhl managent has never worked for a team who even played in the stanley cup finals when he worked for them. gm of 3 different teams too. and he is no longer young. only reason he got this job was his school fried boivin. btw – what has happened to the news that gauthier supposedly hired boivin’s son? seems to have completly disappeared?

190. mike g says:

Did you look at what you just wrote?

You just stated that he’s been an NHL exec for almost 30 years. Now I’m sorry, correct me if I’m wrong. But the last time I checked, they don’t hire bums off the street to fill those positions. They don’t go to Best Buy and say, “Hey, guy from the Geek Squad, come and be our capologist!”.

Nope, and neither do they go to Play it Again Sports and ask the guy who sharpens skates to be their equipment manager or GM.

Every single NHL exec is a competent human being. There are some exceptions, but I’ll guarantee you this; those guys don’t last. If you ask me, 30 years is way more than just lasting.

If he was an idiot, he wouldn’t be there. You would, I guess…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

191. WarHero says:

Does not having French players really matter? I for one couldn’t care what nationality the players are as long as they can play. You folks need to realize that the Habs are not going to pander to the French fans by passing on a great non-french player. This is a business, they take the players that are going to help the business succeed. It’s as simple as that.

————————————————————————

192. Storm Man says:

I like Vermont also.

193. RGM says:

OK so let’s follow through with your little scenario and have some fun doing it. Just because I’m in a good mood today. :)

Say PG quits because one dummy in the media wrote an article about him that hurts his feelings. After everybody in the NHL laughs their ass off for a while over what a pathetic little baby he is, the Calgary Flames sign him to be their new GM. They’ve had enough of Sutter, bring in the new guy. But then, in a shocking plot twist that only could have been conceived by M. Night Shyamalan one journalist in Calgary who doesn’t like Gauthier for whatever reason writes an article stating that Gauthier LIVES IN ZOMG EDMONTON!!!! Gauthier, being a man that does not take sh*t from idiots, resigns. Now both the Canadiens and the Flames don’t have a GM because of such a tough non-sh*t-taker-from-idiots. Gauthier decides, well I should go look for another job, I’ll go take over in Detroit! Out you go Ken Holland! But then, in an even more shocking plot twist that was conceived by George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, a Detroit Free Press writer notes that Gauthier lives in Windsor, Ontario, and drives a Saab! Holy moley! Because he doesn’t sh*t from idiots, Gauthier resigns his position with the Detroit Red Wings, his third strong and powerful demonstration that he doesn’t take sh*t from idiots. When will the people learn?

Hmm, I think maybe it’s better that he laughs it off and goes about his job of signing Carey Price and fielding a quality team for the Canadiens instead of acting like a tough guy who quits because he doesn’t take sh*t from idiots.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

194. observer says:

if bettman negated luongo’s contract after a whole year passed and luongo now days before camp would lose all his futrure iincome and not only few teams have room to pay even close – he should take the nhl and bettman to court – IN EITHER VANCOUVER, WINNIPEG OR QUEBEC CITY.

195. Storm Man says:

What does Winnipeg or Quebec city have to do with the NHL?. Must be happy hour every hour for you.

196. mike g says:

Does the French media realize what a fraud THEY are?!!!

- Were they right to sneak into Saku’s hospital room in order to take a picture or his busted eye?

- Was it ok for them to follow Theo around and make sure he’s walking on his crutches?

- Did they have to follow Breezer to Mont Treamblant?

- Are they right to always publish a monthly article stating how racist the Habs are for not having 23 frenchman on their roster?

Cawlisse! Comon man, don’t try an defend the french media. They’d take MAB over Lidstrom when building a team, think about it!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

197. habfan01 says:

Don’t want to turn this into a political discussion here, and I don’t know what his taxes in Quebec would be ( I have heard you guys pay through the nose), but as a proprty owner in Vt, the f’ing democrats that took over this state have turned it into the highest taxed state in the country. Our property taxes are out of sight.

198. fun police says:

i laugh when someone who doesn’t actually attend any business meetings, scouting meetings or ANY meetings for that matter throws around the term incompetence.  people jumped on him for trading a second rounder for moore and then jumped on him for not resigning him.  if he would have resigned moore, people would complain that Lars wouldn’t get a fair chance to make the club.  FACT: say what you want about gainey and gauthier, but the habs have been one of the most successful franchises over the last 5 years.

199. observer says:

bernie sanders is a congressman

200. Storm Man says:

BANG ON MIKE. The only thing, It was Vladimir Malakhov in Mont-Tremblant.

201. observer says:

i’m talking 30 years worth – not a couple of months this year. go to a senators board and ask them their opinion of him and his moves. made a few beauts in anaheim too. but he is a good friend of bettman.

202. Strabo says:

This is a really easy problem to solve. Turn the tables on them. Set up a blog and start posting pics of them in their daily lives and make up stories to go with it. See how they like it when they have to look over their shoulder everytime they take a piss.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

203. Storm Man says:

I see, Who shot JFK again?

204. forskis says:

As far as I understand…property taxes are a local jurisdiction, ie. municipality…it has nothing to do with taxation at the state level…now if you were complaining about income tax, then different story.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

205. mike g says:

Thnx for weathering the storm, Storm…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

206. observer says:

no!!!!!!!! it is who traded selanne, kariya, demitra and halak away. no grassy knoll there!

207. Rugger says:

“…it was you and me” Jagger-Richards 1968

208. habfan01 says:

True, but several years ago the demorats jumped in with statewide school tax appraisls and basically took a lot of local control away. and bernie saunders is an idiot.

209. Storm Man says:

So you don’t know who shot JFK and you don’t know how to be a GM in the NHL. I rest my case.

210. Storm Man says:

Love it. The only thing I was not born yet.

211. longtimehabsfan says:

Looks like things are going to get nasty between the owners and the NHLPA.  I don’t like these contracts but Bettman is playing with fire.  Donald Fehr wasn’t brought in to be bullied by the Napoleonic commissioner.

212. Skotbot says:

That Arcade Fire A/V thing is great.

I checked it out the other day, and had to send it to some ppl I knew.

I think you have to havegoogle chrome, or Safari for it to work though. :(

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

213. joeybarrie says:

Leclerc and his Rue Frontenac is pretty closed minded. Montreal is a great city to play for. There are many reasons for this. YOU CAN LIVE IN THE USA and still be an hour away from the city. You can have your kids educated in the USA or in CANADA. You can live in ONTARIO or BROSSARD. OR LIKE MOST OF OUR PLAYERS, you can even live in your home tow, and rent a place in MONTREAL…  RUSSIA, BELARUS, ANAHIM LAKE, or wherever.

FUNNIEST PART OF THIS WHOLE THING. Trying to turn it into a French man living in an English Country while working for a French team.

HMMMM, Jacques Parizeau lives in FRANCE, was educated in England and simply keeps a place outside of Montreal… Lucien Bouchard is a partner in a Law Firm based in TORONTO and NEW YORK… Also didn’t Bouchard refuse to funding to keep the Expos in Montreal by building Labatt field???  BEST OF ALL, QUEBEC’s FAVORITE DAUGHTER CELINE DION, is moving back to Las Vegas. IN FACT she can run for President as soon as she gets her US citizenship.

It sad that in such a GREAT WORLDLY CITY we still have idiots here her are clueless…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

214. pic1983 says:

Theres a reason why ruefrontenac is the site for LOCKED-OUT writers.  Its so blantantly obvious what their agenda is.  That bertrand raymond tirade last year was the nail in the coffin.

215. observer says:

sorry but a lot of people in quebec would also like to work in montreal and live and pay us taxes and lower prices instead in vermont. it is off these people that this gm who does not even have the credentials or accomplishments to be gm of the most respected team in hockey earns his money.(would yankees have a gm who has 30 years of incompetance behind him?).

216. HabsFanInTampa says:

Celine Dion calls her home in Jupiter, FL her “primary” (main) residence. This is to avoid paying enormous amount of taxes due to Florida not having a state income tax. She “works” in Vegas, even though we all know she spends the majority of her time in Nevada. As for Celine Dion becoming President, Never going to happen. You have to be born in the USA to become president, not naturalized.

217. habfan01 says:

best she can do is sing the national anthem at the ingural. Have to be a natural born citizen to be president.

218. observer says:

use your head.

219. Storm Man says:

I do. I think you don’t know how.

220. observer says:

because bettman a career prosecutor has no contacts or control of judges or juries in canada. luongo i believe still has a residence or property in quebec. he signed a legal contract in canada that bettman now is robbing him of millions if he proceeds with his threat. yes he should sue the league in canada where he will get a fair decision.

221. GrimJim says:

They are three cities where hockey fans would be pissed at Bettman/NHL headquarters. Vancouver because they would have lost BobbiLou, Winnipeg cause of teh Jets and QC cause of the Nords. Tony’s actually making a clever point for once.

222. GrimJim says:

Here I leap to your defense assuming you had made a reasoned argument and you go all conspiracy theorist on me. Thanks a bunch Tony.

223. Storm Man says:

Hmmmmm What job does the NHLPA do for it’s players?

224. Storm Man says:

I know he is just wanted him to tell me why. :)

225. GrimJim says:

Well, as you can see from his post below, he couldn’t.

Frankly that scares me, but I’m not sure if I’m scared because he didn’t even get the point he was making, or the fact that I assumed he knew what he was talking about :-)

226. forskis says:

It really does not matter that PG lives in VT to pay lower taxes if he can afford that lviing arrangement…he would not be the first person to do it and will not be the last.  Besides, if the rabble-rousers of the Quebec media are going to make a big deal about it and call it a slap in the face, they might as well also complain that the players on the team do not live in Quebec during the off-season and burn the players at the stake.

Francois Gagnon is the “A la une” guy on RDS, right?  I have no problem with what he says…but I think the Theodore option he mentioned should only have been mentioned once Price not signing actually becomes an issue, like when he actually misses a mandatory practice or workout.  Right now he has missed nothing.

I also do not see why Price taking part in his hobbies and interests in the off-season is considered selfish…how would any of us like it if people complained about us not doing any work during our own vacation?  Also, our favorite Brisebois was/is an amateur car-racer and we did not complain about that at all.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

227. cautiousoptimist says:

Goalies aren’t that important

There, I said it.  Or rather, they’re important, but not any more important than top-six forwards or top-four D-men.

Good goalies stop between 90% and 92% of the shots they face.  Of the 47
    goalies in the league last year according to NHL.com’s stats, 42 of them managed 90% or more.  That 2% difference between greatness and mediocrity, assuming 30 shots
    against per game, amounts to about one more goal every two and a half games.  That’s just a hair over one goal per week.

That’s not insignificant.  But it’s not so significant that it overshadows the many players who get points at a rate of one ponit a week — lots of our boys score more points than that.  Our D-men make contributions that are harder to quantify but are no less important.

All I’m saying is that this team will not make or miss the playoffs because of the name on our starting goalie’s jersey.  We need top-six production from our top-six.  We need to remember how to score at even strength.  We need the D to bring down the number of shots our goalies face this year.  And yes, we need good goaltending.  But if the rest of the team comes together well, we don’t need out-of-this-world, superstar goaltending.  We just need quiet competence at both ends of the rink.

Better things to talk about

So in light of that, who really cares about the Price contract issue anymore?  I
    like the kid, he’s really good for his age, and he’ll likely get even better very quickly. But really, we’ve got 21 other guys signed — let’s get excited about that instead.

• Let’s talk about how this could be the year that Pouliot breaks out alongside Gomez and Gionta, giving us one of the better second lines in the league.  I say it will.
    • Let’s talk about whether a fearless Cammy scores 40 goals this year.  I say he lands 35 — would have been more, but a lot of points come as assists this year as Plekanec continues to light it up and Andrei rebounds.
    • Let’s talk about whether Sergei’s absence helps Andrei extract his head from his rectum and score the kind of points we all know he’s capable of.  I say if this doesn’t help, nothing will.
    • Let’s talk about whether Subban becomes the first Hab to bring home the Calder Trophy since… wait for it… Ken Dryden in 1972.  I say he’s got a hell of a shot.
    • Let’s talk about how Avtsin is going to rip up the AHL this year, and force Gauthier’s hand when a big-league roster spot frees up.
    • Let’s talk about whether Pacioretty finally carves out a spot with the team.
    • Let’s talk about how good a third line of Eller, Pacioretty and Lapierre might be.
    • Let’s takl about Bill Guerin — he’s old, but he’s 6’2″, 220lbs, scored 21 goals last year, defends his teammates, and is willing to chew through titanium to win.  I’d throw a million bucks at him in a heartbeat.  At that price, I’d give him two years.
    • Let’s even talk about whether Guy Boucher can lead a team to the playoffs in his very first year as an NHL head coach.  I’m rooting for him.
    1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  228. HFX-HabFan says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there were more than 47 goalies that played in the NHL last year; you probably saw the 47 that would have qualified for “league leader” status based on number of games played.

229. derfab says:

Dead on about goalies. And I like your optimism. rooting for Subban and Pacs (who might need more time in Hamilton) and the rest to do good things this year.

230. Storm Man says:

The last time I looked the Yankees have no one on the team that is french or in the office.

231. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

*In fairness to Francois Gagnon, who I don’t always agree with even though I think he is one of the more level-headed members of the French media, HE was not suggesting that the Habs sign Theo. He was talking about a conversation he had with someone else who suggested it. When Gagnon told this person that the fans would never accept a Theo signing, this OTHER person suggested he float the possibility in his column to judge the fan reaction.

Now, is it the best column ever written? No. Should Gagnon be using his column as a means of judging fan reaction to fantasy signings? Probably not. However, he never said that they should sign Theo instead of Price or anything like that. I got the impression that he was just floating the possibility of signing Theo IF Price did hold out and wanted to see if fans have gotter over Three-or-More’s last days as a Hab.

*As for Kovygate and the NHL potentially invalidating other contracts, I really don’t care, but it does seem like this could get messy if they go that route. On another note, if the NHL invalidated Luongo’s contract, does that mean he is a UFA? If so, how long before people on here and other media sites start clamouring for us to sign Luongo and tell Price to shove it?

*As for Gauthier living in Vermont, I don’t think it should matter, but I do believe the author makes at least a fair point in mentioning the potential hurdles PG would face during negotiations with UFAs. Kind of hard to argue the tax thing as a non-issue if you’re living in the US to be taxed less. Although, as a GM, it is not really imperative for him to be in Montreal at all times, whereas a player doesn’t have much choice in the matter, unless he doesn’t plan on being at practice or games.

232. fuhgawz says:

Quick poll for HIO.

What has been the most rediculous SAGA ?

The Mats Sundin Saga from a couple years ago OR

this seasons Kovalchuk Saga??

233. 123456 says:

sundin. i guess it’s because i really don’t care what happens to kovys-a-schumk

secret mod

234. nickster13 says:

Sundin’s cuz hes a leaf, and cuz it was his fault due his indicisiveness, as opposed to Kovalchuk which is more the NHL cba’s fault

235. HabFanSince72 says:

Sundin.

Kovalchuk isn’t really ridiculous. The Devils are trying to circumvent the CBA because  other teams have done that. The NHL is finally saying enough is enough.

Each party is acting in their own best interest.

236. mike g says:

Let’s put it this way…

If I met Sundin in the street, I’d say: “Hey Mats, congratulations on a great career. Even though you played for the Leafs, you were always a gentleman and a great player. Wish you the best in the future.

If I met Kovalchukle in the street, I’d say: ” Hey Ilya! I hope you never win a playoff game in your whole career, and I hope the Devils are forced to rebuild for 15 years. You suck male genitals, ya jerk!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

237. Storm Man says:

The french press in Montreal at this point.

238. rocketsglare says:

Gauthier has the right to live where he wishes. In fact we all do. But apparently some in the Montreal

news media seem to feel that Gauthier is somehow undermining or misrepresenting the organization

and the city by living in Vermont. The truth be told that it is them and not Gauthier who are under—

mining and misrepresenting both the team and the city with this utter nonsense and in fact non-news.

We may not like some of his decisions but surely where he lives is not one of them.

239. observer says:

fact is gauthier is extremely disliked and luckily by the francophone media as well.

240. Storm Man says:

Is that the 14th Amendment?

241. cautiousoptimist says:

They’re not trying to circumvent the CBA — they’re trying follow the CBA exactly.  If the rules are dumb, that’s beside the point.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  242. pic1983 says:

No they are circumventing the cba.  Its balatantly obvious, just like all the other teams were.  The wording is pretty grey.  It says in the CBA that a contract has to be negotiated by both parties in good faith that the player will play out his contract.  If you think kovalchuk is going to play anywhere beyond 38 years old, you’re delusional.

243. Kooch7800 says:

Actually, they are circomventing the Salary cap not the CBA.  They are playing by the rules of the CBA which are obviously not written very well. My only issue is you let Loungo, Progner,  Savard, Hossa all have crazy contracts but now enough is enough with Kovulchuk?

They should let the Kovy contract stand and issue something for the future.  The other main issue is that all of the other teams won’t be able to do that with their star players but these 5 teams can?  Not really fair if you ask me

244. joeybarrie says:

Good point. I forgot, since I am a natural born American who was born on vacation in Saranac Lake… ITS ME who can be president…

SHE can be VICE-PRESIDENT.  Thats what i meant to say.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

245. habfan01 says:

Ahh-an anchor baby

246. SLONCOLD says:

lol i don’t get the hate for kovy.

247. pic1983 says:

Me neither really.  If it was about the money he would have signed with atlanta a long-time ago.  If he actually didnt want to be in New Jersey, he would have signed elsewhere already.  I think its quite impressive that hes actually remained committed to the devils through this whole affair.  HOWEVER, its not like hes taking a pay cut or anything to fit with that team.  Im curious to see his move if the contract gets rejected again.  I think the KHL is his only option in that case if he wants to save face.  Lets say he doesnt sign with the devils, and signs with another NHL team, what does he say at the press conference? “Yeah its too bad it didnt work out with New Jersey, but you guys were always my second choice” haha

Is he asking for a lot of money? yes.  But he can, and clearly there are teams willing to pay it.

I think people are more hating on the whole saga, than hating on kovalchuk himself.

248. Number31 says:

Niemi, Niemi, Niemi… If people actually watched him they’d understand. Even Hawks fans said they overrated him and didn’t really care much when the team let him go. Our goalies would love to have a 15 save shutout…but 15 saves is what they have to make in 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, poor Thomas Greiss is grr-ing and argh-ing and shaking his fist at Worcester, MA.

249. observer says:

“15 save shutout”? if in that philly playoff game had the habs offense had just 2 more periods like the 2nd period that night, of 1 shot on goal(and that one from center ice) leighton could have had a 3 shot shutout.

250. Mr.Hazard says:

I guess it’s worth re-posting this classic Chelios clip.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

251. JIMVINNY says:

“Change the terms of the CBA to suit our desires, or we’ll trash the contracts of three of your highest profile members.”

Sounds like the NHL is trying to strong-arm the Players Association into allowing them to “fix” the loopholes in the CBA.  I hope the PA tells the NHL to go f*ck themselves.

252. observer says:

I would guess the NHLPA will surely accept this as there is only next year left on the current deal then include this issue with whatever others when bargaining for the next deal. The NHLPA is not going to cause their own Luongo and Hossa let alone Kovaltchuk to lose the money they guaranteed themselves with those contracts. They will accept Bettman’s move FOR A YEAR.

253. j2w4habs25 says:

“Kids, don’t try this at home! In the video below, Max Pacioretty does a
    57-inch box jump – which means he can leap over Gary Bettman.

Ahaha. Thats funny

254. BJT says:

Question for you guys, if you could pick a song to be the goal song, what would it be?

My choice would be either Fire it up by Thousand Foot Krutch, I will not bow by Breaking Benjamin, or Break by Three Days Grace.

‘Cause seriously, I think Vertigo has got to go.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

255. j2w4habs25 says:

Nanana hey hey hey goodbye – just like the days in the old forum :)

256. scrowe21 says:

Yeah I made a post about Vertigo earlier, its the worst in the league right now.

I wouldnt mind if we went back to this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PedkARLqjGI

lol…just anything other than vertigo.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

257. Chorske says:

We have one of the best bands in the world right here in town- with one of the best anthems ever- with a melody that is instantly recognizable and defiant and bloodcurdlingly cool to sing at the top of one’s lungs. I’m thinking of Arcade Fire’s Wake Up. That would be MY pick.

True story: I first saw them at Halifax Pop Explosion a few years back, in a tight cramped room with a few hundred people. They opened with Wake Up and I have been ruined for concert intros ever since. My hair was literally on end.

And to think I’d actually been more excited to see The Organ. Who, you ask? Exactly.

258. otter649 says:

San Jose must have been impressed with Niemi since he was the goalie of record for Chicago when The BlackHawks took out The Sharks in 4 straight and San Jose signed him to a contract….

259. BJT says:

I dunno man.. that song is just.. Evil, or something. Never ends well.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

260. scrowe21 says:

Lol yeaaaa I hate it when I hear that chant, its a jinx.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

261. pic1983 says:

What other goalies should he be looking at? Most teams have a bonafide starter and a backup.  Few teams actually have a two goalie tandem.  Seeing as theres only 30 teams, 47 goalies seems like a pretty good sample size.

262. BJT says:

My computer fails, and thusly I will not be watching your video, but that will not stop me from agreeing that Vertigo = bad.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

263. Chorske says:

That box jump thing is awesome. Wonder how high I can go.

264. observer says:

“Granfather the contracts”? Does that mean “OK we’ll let them all go thru but no more in the future”(which in effect is just next year of the current NHL/NHLPA agreement that then ends)? Sorta like Bettman doesn’t want to be reponsible for losing one of the NHL’s best players to Russia? Of course NHLPA will accept this. For a year!

265. GrimJim says:

Sorry but you’re not understanding the implication. The grandfathering would only happen if the negotiations on the CBA start now not in two-year’s time. If they re-open the CBA then they can negotiate any clause, including the end date.  I can’t see a reason for re-opening the CBA and not making it a five or seven year deal.

266. andrewberkshire says:

Arcade Fire absolutely rock! Best concert I’ve been to however was a free one I won a ticket to, Raine Maida acoustic concert in Montreal for about 50 people. Insanely good.

267. observer says:

You’re saying the entire CBA? That’s not how I read that “exclusive” story. Correct me if I am wrong.  It only deals with 2 coditions:

1. That the cap hit on future multi-year contracts will not count any seasons that end with the player over 40 years of age. The cap hit would be calculated on the average of the salary up through age 40 only.

2. That the cap hit on future contracts longer than five years will be calculated under a formula granting additional weight to the five years with the highest salary.

The league has given the PA, which is being directed by Donald Fehr, until Friday at 5 pm to accept these conditions.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/nhl_gives_players_assn_ultimatum_UEbYgwfB6I4E4y7xGbE1OP#ixzz0yMoHD9DG