Late links

5320226

We’re a little slow on the Monday morning draw here at HIO.
Hurricane Irene knocked out electricity for about 60,000 homes – including HIO Tower in bustling downtown Pointe Claire.

Phil Carpenter of The Gazette took that great photo of what’s going to be a large insurance claim.

How many starts for Budaj?

Road game tickets

Street hockey in Times Square

EotP on Louis Leblanc

• Remember this name: Darren Dietz

Today’s video:

1. Link Test

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

2011 HIO FAN SUMMIT HOTEL
    2 min. walk to everything–Book early

Hotel regular rates are $139 and $149. BUT!

Our HIO special rates are as follows.
    Hotel rates.single $119, Double $119, Triple $144, Quad $$169

Be sure to tell them you are with HIO.

Mrs. Xich-Vê HÔ (pronounced “sik-vay”)
    Sales Manager- Leisure Groups and Catering
    1180 de la Montagne
    Montréal, Qc H3G 1Z1

Tel : 1 514 871 2138

3. Say Ash says:

What’s a Gomez autograph cost?

4. MTLForever says:

price doesnt decide the price on the autographs hes giving. subban doesnt decide his pricing either. i dont even care. im going to subbans signing tmrw and dropping the dough. i met price already for 99$ charity event and as many signings as i wanted along with eller, moen, wiz and gorges. time to give soobie some love!

5. Bripro says:

To Sherri, Punkster, JD and Ian, I was amused at your tossing beer skit you have reserved for the night of the game, until I realized that I’m sitting in front of you.
    Does this mean I should bring an empty bucket, and you’ll be throwing the beer forward?
    Can I be that lucky? I don’t mind saving $12.00.

6. VancouverHab says:

When I was about ten years old (1968, pre-internet) I had the very bright idea of writing to my idol, Jean Beliveau, at “The Forum, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.”

I received a b&w card of himself, with an elegantly and carefully scripted “Many thanks for your nice card and best wishes, Best regards, Jean Beliveau.”

I have treasured that through the years, and it is framed in my man-cave.

7. scrowe21 says:

Erik Cole interview on tsn website, and new Lars Eller video on Habs website for anyone interested.

8. My autograph story 2004.
    I was more than a little peeved at the lock out. I couldn’t believe millionaires weren’t happy with playing the game we all watch and play.
    So I decided to write Jean Beliveau and thank him for not being a greedy SOB and I asked him for his autogrpah. I received a return letter in less than three weeks along with the card I asked to autographed and four more of his own collection autographed.
    So after that I wrote every Canadien that was in the Hall of Fame. I received replies from all but Bob Gainey and Ken Dryden.
    Beliveau, Richard, Vachon, Moore, Lach, all sent me more than one auto in return and Dickie Moorie actually took the time to write me a letter. His brothers were in the Navy and AF so he appreciated what I did for a living.
    People who have problems with players going to stores and charging for autographs have no idea what they are talking about.
    Usually it’s the store that collects the money. The player is paid a fee to sit there for hours.
    It’s AJ’s Sports World, Carey should charge 100 bucks, because that’s what they will do with his auto afterwards.

2011 Summit We R Fans
    Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

9. JD_ says:

My hockey autograph story goes back to 1979.

At the time, I was part of some boy’s club or other and one of the guys associated with it brought in Maurice Richard to speak. It was a reasonably small crowd in the livin’ room of some house in Laval.

Effin’ wow, man.

At one point, Richard was asked to name his favourite NHL player. He said he didn’t have one, but that we should all keep our eyes on this Gretzky kid. He expected the youngster was gonna make huge things happen.

I guess he was sorta kinda right.

Anyhoo, two autographs later – I can see them from where I’m sittin’ in the upstairs den – and I was happier than a pig in the Mopey Loafs’ dressin’ room.

10. Trisomy 21 says:

Calgary’s Langkow for Stepniak. Not bad for Calgary

11. Un Canadien errant says:

My last kick at the can with respect to the autograph topic deals with Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier. In 1996 Team Canada held its training camp in Whistler in preparation for the World Cup of Hockey (why did we change the name from the Canada Cup?) They were here for a week and a few of my friends volunteered to provide security, in return for which the team paid a lump sum to local minor hockey. One of my friends described how the bus would arrive to the back of the arena before practice, and metal gates would control the fans who wanted to see the stars or get autographs. As the players disembarked, an official or two would shout to the throngs that the players were going straight in to get ready, but would be available to sign after practice.

Sure enough, after practice Wayne Gretztky pops out the doors and starts signing and talking to fans, but quickly notices that he’s alone in doing so, and sees other players make a beeline straight for the bus door, where my friend Scott is posted. Wayne excused himself for a moment and walked into the bus, where he told off the guys, singling out Paul Coffey and Mark Messier, probably because they were teammates at one point. He then walked out of the bus, followed by a sheepish and sulky Messier and Coffey, and most of the other players as well, at which point a proper meet and greet and autograph session was conducted. It was apparently quite pleasant and cheerful, since there wasn’t a tonne of people and most were real fans as opposed to the aggressive collector type.

That anecdote was enough for me to permanently inscribe Wayne Gretzky in my good books, and it goes to show that leadership can take many forms.

———————————
    For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

I will be outside the Bell Center signing autographs Nov 19th, it will only cost you a smile! but a single malt scotch at Hurley’s would work wonders on an old fella.

13. savethepuck says:

So EoTp has LeBlanc at #6 leaving the top 5.
    Here is what I think the top 5 will round out at.
    5. Nathan Beaulieu
    4. Lars Eller
    3. Max Pacioretty
    2. PK Subban
    1. Carey Price

Anyone disagree with the picks or the order?

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• mbplekfan says:

That’s lofty status for Beaulieu. A top 5 pick for a kid just entering his last year of junior hockey. That would seem to indicate that he could be NHL ready after this year of junior.

• savethepuck says:

I put Beaulieu there because I don’t remember seeing him yet, and if he’s not in the top 25, I’m the one who’ll be very disappointed.
        Maybe Andrew can give us the list from 25 to 6 so far, but these are the 5 guys I don’t remember seeing yet. I know for sure they were not in the top 10.

• The list from 25-6 (25-8 actually right now but Kevin will update it soon) is on the left side of the main page on EoTP, just scroll down a bit. As for Beaulieu, him being top 5 isn’t really lofty at all considering he’s ranked as the best player Montreal has drafted since Kostitsyn. It’s important to remember that Beaulieu was ranked 12th or higher by pretty much all scouting organizations.

• scrowe21 says:

That sounds about right. I think Beaulieu has more potential than Leblanc, and the other 4 are obvious.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I ranked him 8th when I submitted my vote. Nothing against him, but to me it’s a little early to rank him that highly.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve been following the Countdown, and never stopped to figure out who was left. If these are the last five, I’m going to feel a little bit cheated, since four of these guys are no longer prospects in my eyes, but actual team members. Seems like a shady bookkeeping practice to me.
      ———————————

Are people starting to receive their Summit tickets???

Do not lose them or your Hall of Fame tickets. They get you into the room with the players right after the HOF tour to see and discuss the concussion presentation by the players.

15. Un Canadien errant says:

For those who are interested by the autograph topic, here’s a link to an in-depth look at the practice by Sports Illustrated. It states that basketball players are the worst at giving autographs (surprise, surprise), and hockey players are best, but Mark Messier is a jerk.

———————————

16. LA Loyalist says:

do you guys ever have a Lebowski-Fest in Montreal?

There’s another one here at the Wiltern Sept 23. They are awfully popular.

You’ll need your bowling shoes.

17. Un Canadien errant says:

In the case of Carey Price charging $50 for an autograph, we need to understand that the paid-autograph session pre-dates him. He didn’t invent it.

I remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated which described how athletes realized a long time ago that some autographs they gave fans ended at collectable shows, and how brokers and dealers were making money off their name, so they started charging. A baseball player tried to take a stand and would sign for free, and only for kids with his own watermarked cards, and he found that even those were ending up on the market, either due to greedy parents or other reasons.

Once this was established as a common practice, it made sense for players to start charging for dedicated sessions where they guarantee their attendance. Fans like it because they get to meet the player they want, and it’s better use of their time than standing outside the arena/stadium and hoping. You hear stories of players making a point of going outside the hall and being available for those who can’t pay the admission fee.

Also remember that as always, the autograph hounds who stand outside the new Forum to meet their heroes still get their autographs for free. This is even though, as Ken Dryden noted in his book “The Game”, even way back in the seventies some industrious kids would skip school to get autographs outside the Forum and sell them to make money, almost as a part-time job, rather than just as fans.

———————————

• LA Loyalist says:

It’s a discouraging topic, actually.

I personally would deal with it the way I deal with homeless. IF I am moved to give them a loonie or a fiver (which is always a purely gut reaction), that’s the end of my responsibility. If they drink it, or worse, that’s their responsibility.

Were I a player of such stature, I would sign for any kid, no adults. What happens after that, c’est la vie. It’s a bit arrogant to think you can control what other people do.

All I can tell you is the joy on my son’s face when he lined up for 90 minutes to meet Saku Koivu and get his jersey signed… (for free, though it was a Ducks event) that was worth the moon and the stars.

I don’t follow how you deal with this like a homeless person. So you would chuck a toonie Carey Price’s way if he signs for you? Honestly not picking a fight, just don’t get the analogy.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yikes. My point is that one’s responsibility ends once you’ve given whatever you are giving, be it an autograph, a loonie, or a piece of jewelry a girl throws in your face :-)

That an autograph might get sold shouldn’t prevent an athlete from giving it – but neither is he obligated to give it.

There’s a Philip K Dick story about a kid who gives a bum a nickle and the bum turns out to be some powerful alien dude… I’m just saying that’s it’s not so cut and dried, that’s all. I liked the post about Gretzky chewing out the other players. That was classy.

• shiram says:

I feel like if I give money to a beggar, I’m just encouraging them to keep on begging, so I basically never give to beggars.

As for Price’s signature, I don’t have much interest in any signed stuff by any celebrity of any kind.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• LA Loyalist says:

I am kind of with you on both counts. I just go with my gut.

The trouble is, once you have a kid, it gets more complicated. The whole celebrity thing is weird. My kid has a couple of ex NHL players as his coaches, he has no interest in their autographs (they get mine on checks :-)

One of my favorite stories is how Kirk Muller was Crosby’s favorite player when he was growing up – and Muller’s daughters apparently took little interest in their dad’s celebrity until they heard that story.

Pretty funny.

18. Un Canadien errant says:

****Fantasy football alert- New League- New Draft Time*****

Six teams signed up, we need six more by Friday.

Competing this season are:

arni swanson: Rugger
    Normand Harvey: Whistler Blizzard
    John Jensen: Yamaska Americains
    spencer wilson: Horde of Hillbillies
    tim reynolds: aites
    Paul Teixeira: Abasement Park

Going up against a team that shoots for “aite” makes me wish that this was a money league, but no, it’s free to play.

Draft is on a Friday September 2, 10 pm Eastern, 7 pm Pacific.

To join, go to http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football

Create an account if you don’t already have one, then click on ‘Join A League’. Search for this one in Private Leagues by its name or its draft time. Password to join is ‘markov’. No capitals or anything cute, so hopefully that works.

League Name Habs Inside Out
    League Type Private
    Draft Date September 02, 2011, 10:00 PM ET
    Draft Style Live Draft
    Member Count 5 of 12 needed to draft – more info
    Password: markov

———————————

Langkow goes to the Coyotes. So does his 4.5M salary.

20. JD_ says:

My apologies in advance to the poor souls in Section 304, Row EE, Seats 11 and 13 on the night of November 19th.

Godspeed.

any suggestions for my online hockey pool team name?

CONCUSSION CAN CROSBY COME BACK?

What is a concussion, as comprehended and explained by myself.

I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology at a major medical university.

I have picked up a lot of information working first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research on my fox and mink ranch with calcium.

And I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept from a major medical university. Only as the handler of the research birds involved in the study. So I do not profess to be an expert on the subject

Pertaining to concussion,

I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void.

Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium. This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the damage.

Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to instant death upon a second bump, or at least permanent brain damage.

Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed.

These damaged cells have to be cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death.

This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing.

Please, coaches and parents know this, every severe contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, with the cells still containing calcium, can be even more deadly.

Ian Cobb

• shiram says:

Thanx for sharing your information on this Ian.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Timo says:

This is probably better than any medical journal information. Even I managed to understand. Cheers, Ian.

Ian the worst part is this knowledge has been known by NHL teams for a few years and yet the Penguins threw Crosby back on the ice the next game against Tampa. Not just because he is a star does this bother me, but he is that young under age 24. In today’s NHL there are no more excuses for throwing these players back on the ice when they have experienced a concussion.

I am also concerned with our own medical staff. Halpern got his bell rung by Ferrence, yet was back on the ice that same night!

Martin Havlat when playing for Chicago in cup final a couple years ago was concussed and came back in the series, you could almost tell Chicago knew they weren’t resigning him and just sent him back out there.

Edit: And thanks for providing such a simple yet detailed explanation of a concussion.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…clear as crystal explanation Ian …all We can pray for are exceptions to prognosis and Sid, with a full year off, will buck the odds, renewed
      …those around Sid have to say to him ‘shut it down for a year’, whether Sid disagrees or not

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• LA Loyalist says:

Thank you Ian. Your contributions are always appreciated.

• Neutral says:

Thanks Ian for explaining what happens to the Brain when a player is concussed, hope the coaches, management and players read this it is a very good explanation.

23. The Cat says:

I still cant get over Price charging 50$ per person for an autograph, just another example of how Halak was an all around better human being -20$ and all of it going to charity.

NEW EVENT ADDED— TO 2011 FAN SUMMIT

Right after the tour, we will be meeting with a few players at the Bell Center. On the serious subject of concussion and the aftermath of medical depression from concussion in hockey for 45 min.
    Keith Primeau will also be presenting. I have more Hall Of Fame tickets which covers you for this event for those that do not have one.
    2011 Summit We R Fans link

25. DYCSoccer17 says:

It’s a good thing that Boone lives in the basement.

26. GenerationYHabs says:

Quick! Someone say something controversial so we can argue it ad nauseum and give me something to read on this incredibly slow monday.

Kool-aid
    Konopka
    Anything please!

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Is everybody ready for Siptember?

Siptember is the practice of wearing a short-sleeved shirt and tie on Sept 1st, in honor of detective Andy Sipowicz, from NYPD Blue.

I know I’m ready.

• Cardiac says:

I thought it was in honor of Homer Simpson? Simptember?

- Jerry Maguire

So what do people here think is the toughest and weakest divisions in the NHL this coming season.

Assuming Crosby is not starting the season and frankly I doubt we see him this year, along with the recent improvements (big buck spent) in Buffalo. I think our Northeast Division is as tough a division as there is in the East.

In the west I think the Central is the toughest. The Northwest to me is the weakest division in all the NHL with only the Canucks being a playoff team this year.

• Last year I would have said the Pacific was the toughest division, but Dallas and Phoenix have been downgraded significantly, so I would agree with you that the Central is the toughest. Especially with the weakest club (Columbus) having vastly improved their personnel over the summer. I wouldn’t be surprised to see St. Louis finish fifth in that division.

Weakest division has to be Northwest (I’m agreeing with you again, how boring!). Edmonton and Colorado should be better, but still aren’t playoff teams. Calgary and Minnesota are still spinning their wheels going nowhere, one of them might take the 8th spot but it’s unlikely. Vancouver is the only power team in that division and they’ve lost a couple big contributors in Ehrhoff and Torres.

• sauster says:

I agree for the Northeast Division, as it is year after year. Also, I think this is the year for the Capitals to make a push; don’t know if they’ll see any competition though.
      Northwest will be so-so; don’t think the Canucks can live up to last years’ hype.

TheHockeyRecord.com
      Recalling hockey records daily and taking an in-depth look at what they mean for the game of hockey.

• Ian Cobb says:

Gerald
      Crosby’s playing career could be over.
      On the same topic we are having a 45 min session for the HIO Summit group with some hockey players after the HOF tour on concussion etc. Hope to see you there.

• Cardiac says:

Northeast is gonna be rock n’roll for sure. Boston, Montreal & Buffalo made the playoffs last year and there is no reason why they shouldn’t this year. I’m going out on a limb here and saying that Toronto might have a fighting chance at the 8th spot if they can find some secondary scoring and if Reimer is as successful this season as lasts.

As for the weakest, or probably most boring, is the Southeast. Other than seeing if Tampa can beat Washington for the top spot, this division sucks hard and has so for years.

- Jerry Maguire

• savethepuck says:

I expect our division to have 3 playoff teams, and Toronto probably 10th. Don’t expect any other division in the East to be that strong and have 4 in the top ten.

29. Detritus says:

SF09, I agree about the playing down to the competition.

Does anyone feel that the added power of Cole/Patches can prevent this? It seems like our skill players would play to the level of their competition thinking its maybe not worth it to get a little dirty vs. say.. the islanders? Whereas now with Cole/Patches pounding teams such as the Isles/Florida, our skill guys may be given the opportunity to succeed vs. these teams while maintaining the status quo effort?

• Timo says:

Lets hope Max Pac can come back the same player he was before the injury.

• Chorske says:

Amen, Timo.

I don’t know if I recall a season in recent memory where we have had such collective worries about health before heading into a season. The interesting or perhaps good thing about this season is that the majority of injuries have had very significant amounts of time for healing and rehabilatation.
          Markov/Knee, Gorges/Knee, MaxPac/neck-concussion, Eller/shoulder, and most importantly Gomez/egobruise.

• Timo says:

I can guarantee you that Gomer is not suffering from a bruised ego.

haha, i must have mistyped Timo, meant to say bad shoulder!

• Chorske says:

Depends how you define “recent memory”- through the Koivu years, there were seasons where the team and (especially) its captain seemed cursed. Everything was dissected as a possible cause: short gloves, visors, bad ice, composite sticks, poor off season conditioning plans, etc. Those were dark years for Hab fans in general.

• habaholic68NJ says:

Not to mention Markov and Gorges as well. We will need all three to be up to their previous form to have a shot at a championship, especially with JM at the helm.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• ClaytonM says:

Are you concerned he’ll have a case of Zednikitis? Except instead of a fear of cutting across the middle, he’ll hesitate in going to the outside?

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

30. Hey guys, the Leblanc link should be edited now. I went through it. If there are any more mistakes please tell me.

• Chorske says:

Thanks for the article Andrew. I’m not sure I like the idea of allowing “being snake-bitten” as an excuse for lack of productivity– by that standard, almost anyone who doesn’t score regularly could shrug off disappointing seasons as “bad luck”.

As always, how we end up perceiving Leblanc’s development is going to depend on expectation management. Right now, I am worried that too many people project him to Top Six (with an especially rosy subgroup projecting him to be the Big French Hope and a top liner), when really, even given his age and injury, his stats project to 3rd line status in the NHL. There is NOTHING wrong with a guy who battles his heart out and makes the simple play- those guys can be the heart and soul of a team- but I think people might want to reconsider projecting this guy as a major scorer. This is just my sense from having watched a few Q games last year, mind you.

• Don’t be thankin’ me. I didn’t put in the work to write it. I’m not a huge fan of the snake-bitten excuse either, but I agree with it under certain circumstances.

Leblanc is one of those circumstances because he went way above his peer group in shots directed at the net and scoring chances. Usually when someone dominates the offensive zone to the degree Leblanc did, he scores a lot more goals, and considering he did that before his injury, I accept the snake-bitten/injury result.

The ‘big French hope’ thing is basically my only worry with Leblanc. He seems like a level headed kid but how long can you be told you’re great before you believe it and slack? Hopefully that Harvard brain can deflect some of the crap.

How’s sunny Florida?

• Chorske says:

Oh you know. Sunny and hot. *yawn*

We’re into the second week of classes. I like my students, they are fun. It’s taking some adjustment to teach to this level- in Quebec students hit university with two years of college under their belts, whereas the students I am seeing here are straight outta high school. I’m adjusting. I really like the university, VERY impressed thus far. No-one talks about hockey here, tho.

• Stephan Cooper says:

The article’s mine, and so is the blame I imagine.

Hockey is such a random sport played on a slippery surface that its inevitable that luck plays a major factor. This typically averages out but occassionally a player who was playing essentially the same either gets a massive favour from random forces or gets buried by them. In recent Habs history Kovalev was a major beneficiary in his 84 point season while last season Gomez and Gionta seemed to have pissed off the hockey gods.

Generally speaking, a guy that generates lots of shots and scoring chances is doing very well regardless of his point totals. This is more the case in the NHL where skill levels are more even but also applies to lesser leagues. I sincerely doubt that Leblanc’s finishing skill is so mediocre compared to the QMJHL level that a lack of talent explains the lesser production so luck seems a valid explanation at this point.

Leblanc seems good enough to make it as an NHLer, but your very right that he’s been overhyped in certain quarters. I’d be extremely surprised if he ever gets better than around 20 goals and 45 points in a season (i.e. a typical Kostitsyn year) which is about right for a complimentry 2nd line forward. He could easily end up just a decent third unit guy or bust out entirely.

31. Neutral says:

The bottom line with the Habs this year…the new players coming in as well as the one’s we kept have to be better for us to go a couple of rounds in the playoffs or it was all for not, so cross your fingers and hope PG make the right moves.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Teams who really compete generally score about 40+ more goals than they have against. So MTL needs to take what they scored last year, maintain the GA, or lower it while scoring another 30+, not impossible but good health would be handy.

That and not playing down to the bottom-10 teams.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• RGM says:

I said last week that if they can up the overall GF by 25-30 goals they’ll be laughing. It would put them in or close to the top 10 overall, and that combined with what will hopefully be another top 10 (dare I say, 5?) GA mark would propel them to a division crown methinks. There’s definitely room for just about everybody on the roster to up the offensive ante this season.

And yes, I’m sick of seeing the Habs lose to teams like Florida, Toronto, and Colorado.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• habaddict_andy says:

I’m one of those who believe we would of beaten Boston with healthy roster. With the addition of Cole, Yemelin and healthy roster we should be a lot better.

I would like to know how you differ from my point of view.

Go! Hockey! Go!

32. RGM says:

@_Habsoloutly_ – are you on any of the major card trading sites? Would love to see some more of your Price collection. Send an email to rmcadam@sportscardforum.com and we can share collections. :)

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

Important!
    NEW EVENT ADDED— TO 2011 FAN SUMMIT

ALSO
    I need firm Summit event people numbers please, from everyone if you have not given to me yet. So that the proper reservations can be made. Leave your name and numbers per event.

Anyone can come, season ticket holders or even people that are not going to the game but would like to participate in some of our events. Please call me at 613-968-9807 or e-mail me at cobb(my first name)grant@yahoo.ca with how many for each event. ASAP

For Hurley’s Pub both Friday eve and Saturday night after the game, it is already reserved. No need of numbers, everyone can just show up saying you are with HIO. Name tags will be given out.

1st– Saturday breakfast Chez Cora’s 8:30am. 15% discount for everyone.

2nd–Hall of Fame Tour with Catherine Richard,(the Rockets Grandaughter) 10:30am.

2nd- (A) Bell Center Tour after the Hall of Fame tour. If you want to go on this tour, you will have to purchase a $5 ticket there.

3rd–Baton Rouge rest. Children’s Foundation Raffle 3pm and pre game meal with special guests. This is one event you do not want to miss folks.

34. sauster says:

I like that one about street hockey in Times Square. Good ol’ time in the rain!
    Hope everybody here got through the storm ok. I gotta admit I was expecting much worse.

TheHockeyRecord.com

Do you folks know when tickets go on sale? Need me a pair of tickets for the Habs – laffs game Oct 22.

• savethepuck says:

Sept. 10th @ 10:00 AM . Details are on Canadiens.com

• RabidHabsFan says:

“visit canadiens.com September 10 between 9:15 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. to enter the virtual waiting room. Random draw in effect to determine order of purchase. Quantities are limited.”

REGULAR SEASON TICKETS – 2011-12 SEASON

On sale September 10 at 10:00 a.m.

Purchase limit: One game per person with a maximum of 4 tickets for the selected game

Only one transaction per person is allowed.

On sale only via Internet on canadiens.com
        (the purchasing link will be posted on this page September 10 at 9:15 a.m.)

To access the on-sale, visit canadiens.com September 10 between 9:15 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. to enter the virtual waiting room.
        Random draw in effect to determine order of purchase. Quantities are limited.

Mike Milbury is the Archie Bunker of Hockey.

36. kempie says:

So, in the dead calm of the off-season I was thinking: A PP umbrella with Markov at the point. He’s got Cammy to his right for the one knee top-shelfer, on his left PK’s ready for the one-timer, and down low there’s Pacioretty and Cole at the top of the crease trying to bat in rebounds. There’s a lot of ways to score there. It would also work for those late in the third moments where you just really need to shove one in. It’s kind of like firing all your guns at once, but those five guys should be able to get quite a few pucks in the net.

• Cardiac says:

1. You gotta win the faceoff to put the puck back to Markov. Who’s gonna center that line?

2. Are you gonna leave the unit on for the whole two minutes? What’s your strategy for the second PP unit?

3. Gionta let the team in game winning goals last season. You gonna leave him on the bench when we need a quick goal?

- Jerry Maguire

• kempie says:

1. Stupid faceoffs.
        2. No, they’re going to score in the first ten seconds.
        3. IDK, I’m just bored. I think Plex can centre this unit and I’d really like to see the Markov/PK/Cammy thing with Cole or Patches in the slot. I wouldn’t mind seeing if Weber can run the second unit.

I’m just really anxious to see what we’ve got this year because I think it may be pretty good. And everybody’s healthy (I hope).

• DearyLeary says:

1) You don’t HAVE to win the face off, it’s recommended, but by no means would a lost faceoff prove fatal to Markov with two triggermen like PK and Cammalleri.

2) I see Gomez, Gionta, and Pacioretty on the second unit. Patches put up some nice pp numbers last year on a second unit, and I don’t see why those three couldn’t work well together again.

3) If we’re playing 6 on 5 Gionta would be my ’6th’ man along with Pleks, Cammy, Cole/Patches (we’ll have to wait and see who’s playing better, could even hypothetically be Andrei in this spot as well), with PK and Andrei as our defencemen.

Adding Cole gives this team some size, and some flexibility at the top 6 forward positions. I still think the original post dreaming about PK, Markov, and Cammalleri playing an umbrella power play is a great idea. And while I’d prefer a true centerman for the faceoff, Cammalleri won some key faceoffs last year, he’s certainly competent and it’d be something to take a look at in the pre-season.

• Timo says:

You are forgetting the most prolific scorer of all – Gomez, Scott.

• twilighthours says:

I also envision an umbrella setup run by Markov with Cammalleri and PK as triggers.

But I’ve also never coached an NHL team.

————————————–
      If you’re sick of not being able to view the HIO comment structure from your iPhone, try downloading Mercury browser. If you have alternative suggestions, please send them along!

Puckdaddy with a funny comparison of Lady Gaga to Roberto Luongo at VMA awards.

EoYP needs to do a better job proof reading their articles. They still aren’t as grade school as the Gazoo though.

A few months ago I suggested that the Habs should get involved more deeply with Hockey Quebec to put the Q back on the hockey map for developing future NHLers. Looks like that is happening.

I also suggested Koivu not be resigned way back when.

When the Habs needed a defence man I was hopeful they’d sign Wisneiwski and a few weeks later they did.

Thankfully they didn’t follow my tanking option.

• SeriousFan09 says:

The Q fell behind because they were pigheaded enough to ignore many of the ideas from the 1999 Hockey Summit because hey, we’re Quebec and have to be different. There’s a reason the OHL and WHL kept going forward and now the WHL is coming close to bringing themselves on par with producing the defensive talent to rival that of Ontario’s.

Canadiens are right to step in and do what they can, but Hockey Quebec started this problem a while ago.

Some thoughts I’ve picked up recently as well:

@Rick1042 who scouts for McKeen’s Hockey (Is this an Approved Hobie Hanson publication?) mentioned one issue that can not really be addressed is the country-wide leading divorce rate in QUE that he finds creates an issue for parents to create an environment where their kids can find the time to play the game. Split custody, one parent lives on the island, one lives off of it, where does the kid play?

Gord Miller of TSN speculated over the last week that it should be time for Junior teams to provide equipment to their players, not put the onus on the parents. Also mandate wooden sticks to even out competition and besides, does your 10-year old really need the Crosby or Datsyuk stick? No.

@Jerome_Berube, the new video scout for Hockeyprospect.com and a Q-league prospect junkie mentioned as well he’d like to see Quebec take a crack at running something like the US National Team Development Program.

If I had to make an adjustment it would be pretty damn simple. Bring some fun back into the game, have practices that allow kids to throw shinny without the coach running anything, or even have two teams get together and throw the sticks down and mix it up. You read about all these legends in Habs history who grew up playing on the ponds and backyard rinks, let the kids be kids now and then when it comes to hockey.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• HardHabits says:

I agree wholeheartedly that Hockey Quebec was guilty of circling the wagons.

• krob1000 says:

Kids still play on the outdoor rink, play on the pond and are playing in theiir driveways (people have got grumpy about the roads though!). The problem with real icetime is the cost and at 15-20 bucks an hour you want to make sure your kids are getting coached and coached properly. Coaching/Volunteers are actually the backbone of Canadian hockey….always has been. Practice is 100 percent necessary and skill development is the part that is necessary and what Hockey Canada has implemented over the last 15 years to get back on track. The problem with Hockey in Canada was actually exaclty what you mention….too many games…too much Shinny and not enough skills. A game limits ice time, puck touches, and skill enhancement. One practice if run efficently is better than 10 games. There are tons of 3 on 3 , 4 on 4 programs in the offseason and outdoor rinsk etc for shinny. If they want to solve anything …make it more affordable …then if there were a surplus of icetime …maybe….maybe there would be time for more fun games. Practice and coaching are the keys….all it takes is a coach who also makes that fun and everything works out…in the majority of cases it does and that is why we are the best.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…good post Robert

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

40. twilighthours says:

Street hockey in Times Square? Hardly – there wasn’t much skill going on there. They were playing with a wiffle ball, too. Total amateurs.

————————————–

41. RGM says:

September 14th can’t arrive soon enough – it’ll be the start of all the real hockey talk again!

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

42. Dave Stubbs says:

Detoured but returning soon: summer has been about Formula One and NASCAR racing in Montreal and swimming through coverage of yesterday’s LPGA tournament north of the city.

I’ll be resurfacing from the clubhouse steps of the Canadiens golf tournament on Sept. 14 with audio and video, then heading into camp with Boone and Hickey.

Looking forward to it very much. See you all then…

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

Will be interesting to keep an eye on Dietz as the Jr. season goes on. Wasn’t he at the World Jr. Development camp this summer? Would be nice if he could make that squad and we can watch alot of him over the Christmas break.

Definitely looking forward to going to some Bulldogs games this winter and watching how Louis develops also.

Hockey is almost around the corner as we start Sept. later this week.

44. Neutral says:

not a boston fan and I must say the cartoon is funny but marchand gets the last laugh with a stanley cup ring.

45. Propwash says:

It was quite the stiff breeze yesterday.

46. RGM says:

That’s not what the actual cartoon had in yesterday’s paper. I guess the PC Police got to him – here’s a pic on my bad cell phone of the original: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307892_10150421616238356_648913355_11041240_7091608_n.jpg

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.