Laraque throws helmet into federal political ring; carves Parros

screen-capture-6

Georges Laraque with Green Party head Elizabeth May during a Calgary street-hockey game in April 2011.
Colleen De Neve, Calgary Herald

Former NHL heavyweight Georges Laraque will today announce that he’s running for the Green Party in Montreal’s Bourassa riding byelection.

And in La Presse today, Laraque pretty well dismissed new Canadiens enforcer George Parros as a guy who will strike fear in the hearts of no one. (story is in French)

Laraque, who played 161 of his 695 NHL games with the Canadiens, will contest the Bourassa riding opened up by the departure of Denis Coderre, who this November will run for mayor of Montreal.

Use this space as your platform to comment on anything hockey-wise as we await this afternoon’s announcement of the 2013 inductees in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

1. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I guess Georges was too thin to run as a Conservative…

• habs11s says:

In the last election, the Greens took a grand total of 613 of a possible 38,698 votes in the Bourassa riding. If I were him, I wouldn’t clear my schedule just yet…

_____________________________________________________________

• SmartDog says:

Yah, but he’s Mr. Popular now that his Twitter strategy of crapping on the Habs is working for him!

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• govenah says:

I often vote for the Greens coz in my riding its a given that it will go liberal and my vote means nothing. Though a vote for the greens is a vote for sustainable development and in general environmental consciousness. But I wouldn’t park that vote with the greens if BGL was my representative. Too many contradictions in his character. Bad choice by the greens. I also stopped drinking soy milk coz its full of estrogen. This may be having an affect on BGL.

Just a few more pieces and the cup is ours.

• SmartDog says:

I voted Green once. And guess what?

I went home to watch the returns on TV to see my vote… but the number of Green votes wasn’t even mentioned in the entire live telecast. Yay, democracy at its finest.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• thebigguy says:

I used to think the Greens were just the NDP with a focus on the environment.

Then they(she?) voted against an NDP environmental motion last session.

And shilled for the liberal party during the Labrador election.

2. H.Upmann says:

Any word on Scott Gomez? Still FA? (kinda like asking about an ex lol)

3. frontenac1 says:

@haborama. Good question amigo. Since I sold my business and retired last Feb. My whole Time/Space continuum is not what it was. Its like a Brave New World, with pain killers.

4. frontenac1 says:

@habfan72. Your first mistake is not wearing dark blue or black.Hides a lot of mishaps. Trust me on this one amigo.Hey guys ,don’t hate BGL. He’s just yapping to earn a living.Poor bugger. Saludos!

5. Haborama says:

I don’t know what to think about Morrow, sure he’s awesome, but he’s 33 years old. 33 isn’t THAT old, but with the physical style that Morrow plays, he’s actually closer to 40 in terms of wear and tear.

Not to mention that he’s undersized.

Still, a Morrow signing is better than nothing, and it would be 10 times better than the Briere signing.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

For those of you bored with the Laraque talk, hear my rant.

The Solo Cup Company of Lake Forest, Illinois, is one of the largest manufacturers of disposable cups in the world, and in 2006 had sales of $2.4 billion.

Here is my problem with the Solo Cup Company of Lake Forest, Illinois. The lids for their coffee cups do not provide an adequate seal. Therefore when you carry one of these cups, filled with coffee, and with a lid in place, it tends to spill. This is particularly irksome if you happen to be wearing white, off white or even khaki pants, as I was today.

Given that portability is the only real advantage of a paper coffee cup, you would think that preventing the beverage from spilling during normal human gait would be essential.

7. doug19 says:

The veggie burger comments are way funny!!
    I hope Parros eats rare meat, to keep his edge.
    BGL is looking so peaceful these days, and he is green.
    What more can we ask.
    Would be nice if BGL would come to NB and support Elsipogtog in the fight against fracker SWN.

8. mksness says:

So question for HIO here. what makes pat burns a HHOF can’t miss?

I understand he won the jack adams 3 times with 3 different teams, but there is just one stanely cup. He’s in the top 20 for games coached as well but what is the credentials that make you a HHOF coach

9. frontenac1 says:

@hab in surrey. Drive me to drink? And back again too? My wife would love that. She is getting pissed off driving me to and back from the saloon in my truck. She says it stinks. For some reason she won’t use her car when driving me. Oh well,whatever.

10. ClutchNGrab says:

For those who felt this thread was necessary…

@GeorgesLaraque
    Thanks for all my haters to making me trending… Hahahaha you’re doing exactly what I want!

11. Mark C says:

How credible is Mario Langlois? Claims the Habs are talking to Morrow.

12. ClutchNGrab says:

In today’s useless fact, the HHOF inductee, Fred Shero, married a Quebec woman, Mariette and she gave birth to two sons. One of them, Réjean Shero is currently the GM in Pittsburgh.
    Ray is for Réjean, who would have thought?

13. Habs_4_ever says:

Can we please get a new thread soon!!! I can’t stomach looking at the green giant anymore.

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

14. Lil Snapper says:

BGL has lots to say, but man he was a waste with us, just cuz his career went down the Pooper doesn’t mean Parros career will, Don’t forget we have Prust as well, I really doubt Shawn Thornton was relieved, I don’t think Thornton could take him. BGL was out of line period

• ClutchNGrab says:

I just watched the following video, the arrival of Parros can’t hurt.

• slapshot777 says:

I say George is just jealous knowing that the Habs have someone who can do the job without having a code. If there was anyone who didn’t strike fear into his opponents was Laraque. In fact if he struck anything into his opponents was a fit of laughing. George should just shut his yap.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

15. B says:

The Hab’s official roster page finally has Briere added to it, under #48:

I also noticed that #62 St-Denis and Lefebvre are still listed on the prospects page:

–Go Habs Go!–

16. Propwash says:

Wow, I took a gander a BGL’s twitter account, lots of people chirping him and being keyboard brave.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…428 comments so far on a Georges Laraques’ thread, and zero anything other interesting news day

…HIO Habs’ Fans are the most amazing of the most amazing

…Y’all are going to drive Little Jimmy and Frontenac to drink :)

18. B says:

The Hunters in London are widely recognized for the many players who developed under them into strong NHLers. What track record does Andy Murray have of doing that? Which young players has Murray developed into NHLers? I am asking this seriously as I seem to be missing something here and am looking to learn what that is since there are many here who believe Murray and NCAA Western Michigan will be better for McCarron’s development than the Hunters and the OHL Knights. Is it Murray in particular, or more the NCAA vs the OHL?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Strummer says:

Th Hunters have a good track record because they recruit top end talent, and the top end talent’s parents and agents seek out the Hunters so its not a level playing field compared to other CHL teams.
      The Knights are a stacked team.
      CHL style of hockey more resembles the NHL than NCAA does.
      NCAA teams have fewer games and more practices and skill development.Those are the choices

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mark C says:

Murray has only been there for two seasons. He did have DeKeyser for during that time.

• piper says:

London would be the better choice IMO. It may give him a wakeup call on how tough he really is.

• NightRyder says:

As a first-round pick, his toughness should not be his only calling card, simply part of the package.

• piper says:

i agree. Its just the way he was talking about fighting being a big part of his game. I wonder how many he had. As soon as he gets his clock cleaned in the O he’ll concentrate on his skills more.

• NightRyder says:

For me it’s about 75% Andy Murray and 25% OHL/NCAA. Murray is universally regarded as one of the best teachers of the game anywhere. For McCarron to have a chance to learn from Murray, in a situation where there is much, much more time for practice and skills development, is huge. He will absolutely learn the ins and outs of the game, power play, penalty killing, positioning etc. All without having to worry about fighting taking away from his game. To me, that’s gold.
      The rest is allowing the big fella to grow socially and learn things important to the game like nutrition, conditioning etc.
      Then, after a year learning the game from one of its best teachers, he moves to the OHL, where the Hunters will show him how to be a professional, how to grind through a longer schedule, play with physicality and yes, fight.
      If he goes straight to the OHL, I’d worry he’d focus a little more on the tough guy aspect of things and wouldn’t have the practice time to garner the skills that would make him that much better when he’s ready for us.

19. Sean Bonjovi says:

Renaud Lavoie:

“Escrow for NHL players should be around 17 % for the 2013 season. HRR estimate at $2.2 Billion.”

Wasn’t it $3 billion in 2011/2012?

20. Arnou Ruelle says:

Congrats to Mr. Chelios in his induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

21. Whatever says:

Is Georges Laraque in charge of invitations for the Green Party fundraisers?

22. Sportfan says:

BGL should keep his mouth shut, he got bought out cause he wasn’t doing his job, we’ll wait and see how Parros is.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

23. Whatever says:

Geoff Molson congratulated Chris Chelios via Twitter on being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

No word as of yet from Ronald Corey.

24. NightRyder says:

Three things:
    1. BGL sure must eat a lot of veggie burgers.
    2. Any Hockey Hall of Fame that doesn’t have Guy Carbonneau in there is not complete.
    3. I would have liked to see McCarron play a year under Andy Murray in college, then head to the Hunter NHL finishing school.

• johnnylarue says:

1. +300 (lbs)

2. Carbo was probably my favourite player, and pretty much closed the book on defensive centremen. But… HHOF? Tough call.

3. Absolutely agree. Kid’s heart is in the right place, but it seems like the kid could have used a bit of “higher learning” before jumping into the pugilistic boot camp of the Hunter bros. Time will tell, I suppose…

• NightRyder says:

Carbonneau was a three-time major award winner. He was at least as good as a defensive forward and keeping pucks out of his net as Shanahan was putting them in at the other end. His ability to affect the game was profound. Just ask Wayne Gretzky. Absolutely a hall of famer.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

1) Add the binge drinking with the burgers and you’re seeing the result :)

2) Carbo still have next yr. or so to get inducted. What I wish to happen is Pat Burns getting his name at HHOF.

3) Hopefully, McCarron will end up with Andy Murray (his hockey coach, not the Tennis superstar.). His coach even spoke about (@ TSN 690) his enthusiasm of having him in college hockey b/c he believes he’ll have a better transition from junior to pro in about a yr. or 2.

• B says:

–chop–
      my post somehow ended up in the wrong place, moving it.

–Go Habs Go!–

25. JohnBellyful says:

If you think the crowd here’s tough, read what this bunch has to say about their hero

26. jedimyrmidon says:

What a joke Laraque is:
    Laraque comments on Parros

Of all [ex-]players, Laraque should just keep his mouth shut.

• Whatever says:

If Parros defends one teammate and loses badly, it’s more than Georges did in Montreal.

I remember a questionable hit on a player (can’t think of who it was) while Laraque was on the ice. Laraque even saw it as shown in the replay. Although, it was Paul Mara that immediately dropped the gloves and went after the guy.

Found it:

It was Gilbert Brule hitting Chipchura. Of course Brule isn’t in Laraque’s weight class, but Laraque turns his head, sees his player down and ignores it. Not even a shove or any accountability.

• adesbarats says:

Laraque couldn’t fight Brule. It would have been against his “code”

• TheDagger says:

Such a good replay showing how pathetic and useless Laraque was. He had one job to to and didn’t do it. It’s like he thought he was actually a good hockey player.

Also, I really liked Mara.

• bandaide says:

I Loved Paul Mara because he saw something he didnt like in front of the net the guy went flying and he can fight looked it up a pity JM didnt use him against Boston in playoffs when we needed someone like that on ice not in pressbox! Thank god Parros has some tzaziki (sp)
        BGL jealousy tsk tsk tsk grow up instead of around……putz

• florida habs says:

idiot, this from a heavyweight who asking players if they wanted to dance, instead of just dropping them.

27. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Nice post by on second thought. From what I know Mike Richards is a party boy and a bit of a bast*rd and he should be the last person slagging anyone. I love the way MB handled the PK resigning too. I wish more GMs had balls like that. It will be the template that some GMs will use (hopefully ) in future negotiations. PK looks to have benefitted from this guidance As I have said before PK is from a good family and I dont believe he feels threatened by nor does he detest authority.

24 cups and counting….

28. AllHailTheFlower says:

No disrespect to Fred Shero, but how the **** does Pat Burns get passed over again?! The selection committee for the Hall truly is hopeless…

• habstrinifan says:

I admit that I am NOT the one to be asking re Pat Burn’s viability for the HHOF. Everyone I have heard or read says Pat Burns is absolutely HHOF deserving anD it’s a shame he hasnt been elected YET.

So I’m OK with Pat Burns in the Hall of Fame…

But Fred Shero is a coaching/hockey genius.

29. Stevie.Ray says:

So in the four years since the team was totally revamped, the Habs went to the semi-final, came last in the conference, and won the division. And the future doesn’t look dismal, although I don’t know what to expect next season.

30. commandant says:

Laraque says Parros isn’t a finisher…. well its just too bad that in Montreal, Laraque wasn’t a STARTER in that he didn’t want to fight anymore.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

31. jols101 says:

Parros vs Laraque – Opening night of training camp. Center ice. The Bell Center. Tickets available on-line or at the Bell Center box office. Ding, Ding.

32. habs1992 says:

I could care less about the hall of fame, really for as a fan I dont pay much attetion to it.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

33. on2ndthought says:

I’m re-posting this because I just saw Tyler Seguin’s intro:
    On the PK character issue. I’ve always found his attitude to be flamboyant and competitive, not a selfish attitude of player before team. I felt the whine by guys on other teams to be just that, hello Mike Richards! However, it is possible that mgmt; who are paid to know, saw something that needs to be addressed.

We old guys know that most young kids will grow out of their ‘me first’ phase. Sometimes, though, we are responsible for encouraging said growth. Mac Bennett mentioned how one of the seminars given at the development camp was about handling your public image. Was Tyler Seguin offered the same advice? Part of the character that mgmt expect from our players is the responsibility of mgmt to develop (just like hockey skills). Perhaps MB and MT have seemed harsh on PK because:
    1. he, like all youngsters, needs positive direction
    2. his character is strong enough that making an example of him will only make him, and the rest of the young men under their tutelage, stronger.

No good guy, no bad guy; just a thought.

“a cannonading drive”

I see this as one of those ‘teachable moments’. The owner says: (paraphrased) “we have to trust him because we don’t know”. No, you do know, he is lying: that is bad character. Have a talk with Seguin, his agent, his parents, the GM. He should apologize and feel the heat, not run away from it like some… well, like no person I want to have on my team. Whatever you think of MB and MT, this is not likely to be treated this way by our current mgmt.

“a cannonading drive”

34. Sportfan says:

The “YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE” section should be recent news from the Gazette instead of some of the old news and random garbage that pops up.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. Bripro says:

This from the NHLPA on the recent inductees.

• Chuck says:

So… 600+ goals isn’t good enough to get you into the Hall of Fame?

__________________________________________________
      Anyone but the Sens! (Check.) And Boston (Triple check.) Oh, and the Laffs, too. (Double check.)

36. frontenac1 says:

@bripro. Keep me posted amigo!

37. Bill says:

@smartdog: good memory. I lost my mind over that trade, especially in light of the decision not to resign Saku.

It is funny to think back at how many people thought it was a great move … many actually still defend it on the basis that it was the deciding factor in being able to sign Cammalleri and Gionta. Which is highly debatable, given how much money and term the Habs threw at Gionta and Cammalleri.

• SmartDog says:

It was one time when I WANTED to be wrong. But it was so obviously bad. That ‘we needed Gomez to sign Gio and Cami’ was just spin. Gio stated outright it wasn’t a factor, and Cami made comment about it but not like people used it.

It really was just the Emperor’s New Clothes. Thank god that emperor and his sidekick have moved on. I don’t love everything MB has done but my concerns are modest by comparison.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Ozmodiar says:

Most people here knew the trade was bad. (funny read)
      Gomez traded

• Phil C says:

Pretty classic reactions. Everyone was already on the ledge for just taking Gomez and his contract, then they find out McDonagh was included…how shall I paraphrase…OMFG!!!!

• piper says:

Perhaps MB could find a sucker like that to take his mistake and give us one of their first rounders.

38. frontenac1 says:

@bripro. When is it? I think I know his Dad Trevor from Billings.

• Bripro says:

The one and the same, amigo.
      I don’t know yet when it is. But if I’m not in Cape Cod with my wife by the time he comes home, I’ll let you know when it is.
      Burly might be coming down as well. Hopefully, I’ll be around.
      If so, the Guinness and multiple single-malts will be chilled and served on the back deck, and there’ll be both your names on the glasses.

39. frontenac1 says:

@bripro. Re/Lindros and his Mom. Heard the same thing up here amigo from people who know him. Also , that he is a pretty good guy. Married a Montreal gal recently.

40. frontenac1 says:

Serious?!!! Gill is back? Cool!

• Bripro says:

No Front…. don’t listen to them.
      They’ve posted an old link under “You might also like”
      with the Habs having re-signed Gill.
      Very old news my friend.
      Go back to your friendly barmaid.
      All’s good here.
      We’ll hold the fort while you’re off in another dimension.
      Cheers, buddy! :)

By the way, are you coming home for Corey’s “Welcome Home Hero” Stanley Cup day?

And yes, I heard about his Montreal marital connection. Ironic.

41. frontenac1 says:

@timo. Thanks amigo. Reality is becoming stranger and funnier each day thanks to the decades of substance abuse. New Barmaid is a real sweetheart. Strange, having a nice person bring you booze. Its different. Saludos!

Holy shit!!! Habs re-signed Gill. Yay!

43. frontenac1 says:

Seem to remember that Laraque started to preach and hit up the guys in the room for dough for that earthquake in Haiti or something. It was becoming a distraction and Gainey offered him a leave of absence,which he turned down. Then Gainey sent him home and bought him out. Was I dreaming this?

44. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Hockey`s Future did a draft review on our Habs:

24 cups and counting….

• lakechamplain says:

Thanks, some reasoned analysis; be interesting to check back in 3 yrs. to see how many of these kids did what the reviews said they needed to make their game major league stuff.

45. nbhabs says:

Seems like Laraque was describing himself when he says “he’s just a nice guy and doesn’t intimidate anyone”. This pretty much described his time in Montreal.

46. Sportfan says:

LOL Eklund says expect Jagr signing soon XD

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

47. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

It’s easy to see why Laraque late in his hockey career went to politics. He’s the perfect fit for a person with a lot of talking and little action!

48. habs1992 says:

Im almost certain Lindros wont get into the hall this time around.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• Sportfan says:

Will he ever make it ?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Luke says:

He should. If there is room for Bure and Neely, Lindros is an easy choice.
        I’m not sure why, aside from Steve Simmons’ inability not to hold a grudge, it was even a topic for discussion.
        Perhaps you could argue WHEN, based on strength of competition, but not IF.

Lindros seems to me to be the first real ‘TMZ’ type player. The guy that was covered & scrutinized from his youth right through his career. His personal business was reported on much more than anyone else at the time.
        Perhaps that’s partly because he was the Next Big Thing and his arrival coincidended with the invention of 24-hour sports broadcasting… He wasn’t an untoucheable yet like Gretzky or Lemieux.

• Bripro says:

No question, Lindros was a great player.
          But his self-marketing program was pretty lame.
          Having his parents as his agents, mostly his mother, certainly didn’t help.
          And them having him completely reject the opportunity to play in Quebec city was a wrong way to start a professional career.
          The Nordiques, or more precisely the Avalanche, certainly benefited from the deal that sent him to Philly.
          I wonder if he ever asks himself how it would have turned out had he played with Joe Sakic and a mega-talented team.

• Timo says:

The only reason Avalance won the cup is because of ungodly incompetence by Rejean Houle. Avs should at least send Habs a first round pick as a thank you. Ungrateful bastards.

• Bripro says:

It’s not the only reason, but on the Roy mess-up,
            you’re absolutely right on that one.
            Tremblay… jerk.
            Houle… bigger jerk.
            Corey…. biggest one of all.
            They single-handedly started the decline that is the drought the Habs have lived through since.

• secretdragonfly says:

Is that confirmed?

• bwoar says:

Source?

“thoroughbred”

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…here’s another schmuck that should keep his mouth sealed

50. frontenac1 says:

@frodo. And don’t forget,”If its pretty skating people want, let “em go to The Ice Capades”

51. commandant says:

A former Hab in the Hall of Fame Class of 2013

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Bripro says:

And very well deserved.
      I met him once, while he was still a Hab.
      At an outdoor market. Very funny guy.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…from My office window in Alexis Nihon, I frequently saw Him woofing girls outside the Forum at Atwater and de Maisonneuve

…different kind of outdoor ‘market’ :)

• secretdragonfly says:

Absolutely loved Chelios when he was a Hab (and respected him in the other jerseys). Even Shanahan commanded respect on the ice – not so much as an NHL stooge.
      Edit: Ha! Love the pic on TSN.ca showing Chelly wearing the colours.

52. Ozmodiar says:

@The_Truth
    As frustrating as it might be, the fans will have to wait. Current management can’t let past mistakes and skeptical fans sway the direction they’re going to take.

…and regarding those loud posters who spoke up in the past, but weren’t heard… there’s always going to be those complainers, right or wrong. Team failures will always result in skeptics being right to some degree. The one mistake that was obvious from the get-go was the Gomez deal… i think a majority of fans knew that was bad right away.

• twilighthours says:

I liked the Gomez deal at the time! Seriously.

(But I was right about the kaberle deal)

• The_Truth says:

Good on you for admitting it lol. I think Ozmodiar is right in saying that majority of people saw right away it was a terrible move. If not overtly, then instinctively.

• SmartDog says:

When it happened there were only a small number of us holding our noses. Bill was one I remember. And me. We were stunned and outraged.

But at that time MOST other people (at least on here) were buying what Bob was selling… hard to believe now. And few would be as honest as Twilight.

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Stevie.Ray says:

I remember saying “meh” to the trade but knew we would all regret trading Mcdonagh

• NightRyder says:

Lump me into your exclusive group…

• neumann103 says:

I was flabbergasted by the Gomez trade and I wasn’t even as high on McDonagh as many or as paranoid about size as lots. It was an appalling trade. Spending the same money on resigning Koivu and Kovy would have been better.

To me Gomez was the classic case of “which player are you getting?” where it was pretty clear to an amateur like me the answer was “not the one from that aberrationally good season” ( I call this The Andrew Raycroft Rule)

I was lukewarm on Gionta (and have warmed to him since) and regarded the Cammy signing as likely necessary under the circumstances. I always assumed that Gainey had a list that started with Hossa, went through Gaborik, Havlat etc and that Cammy was probably about 5th on that list and the first one to say “yes”.

I posted all of the above (on other boards, was not active on HIO at the time) so it is not a revisionist lens for me. Also I was never part of the anti-Smurf crowd so the pure size aspect did not other me, although I think the Habs did reach a point where they had too many small players to allow flexibility.

“Et le but!”

• The_Truth says:

Yes, of course fans will have to wait. There is no other choice in the midst of yet another rebuild/retool. I have a lot more trust in current management than I had in the previous one, but that doesn’t mean I am not hyper alert to what seem like questionable moves, like Briere’s signing, DDs lengthy contract when it didn’t have to be that way, The Kristo trade, and a lack of addressing the Dcore.

Team failures will always result in skeptics being right, yes, but that still means they were right. It is way too early to be overly skeptical of the new regime, but that seed cannot help be planted from the past 15 years of mediocrity.

• matt jordan says:

everyone, except Gainey and Gauthier, knew the Gomez trade was bad for Montreal.

• twilighthours says:

Doh. :(

• Phil C says:

That article was funny in hindsight. The bloggers they quoted were upset even assuming Gomez was capable of 60 points. I don’t think anyone predicted 38 points, -15, and a year without scoring. It is shocking how badly his game deteriorated in a short time. Makes you wonder about PEDs.

53. SmartDog says:

For those of you worried about what the Useless Georges Laraque says, I just looked up Parros’ fights at HockeyFights.com.

I only looked quickly at the last 3 years of fights, but I can safely say he won more of his 47 fights in that time than he lost. Not only that but when he lost it was almost always close. So BGL stands for Big Grumbling Loser. Big surprise. The media really has to stop listening to this windbag.

Here’s the link if someone wants to do the actual count:
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

54. John Frodo says:

I was not a fan of the broad street bullies, I am not a fan of any of the goon teams we have today. However credit where credit is due for Shero. Clipped from the ever prophetic Ekland

But do you also know that Fred Shero was the first NHL coach to hire a full-time assistant?
    The first to have a morning skate?
    The first to emphasize year round conditioning?
    The first to use video sessions with his players?

Are these not essential building blocks of the game?

And not only that…

Shero gave the game some of its most iconic quotes.

Here are a few of my favorites:

“I swear I have never told a player to attack another player. In fact, I have told my players if they ever hear me saying something like this, they can break a stick over my skull. I ask only that they play aggressively”

“Arrive at the net with the puck and in ill humor”

“When you have bacon and eggs for breakfast, the chicken makes a contribution, the pig makes a commitment.”

“We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire”

The famous quote on the wall in the Flyers locker room:

“Win today, and we walk together forever”

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

55. frontenac1 says:

I loved Staubitz and his delinquent behaviour. Whenever the game became a snoozefest with JM”s stupid system ,you could always count on Brad to go out and start a punch-up and get the fans back into it again.

@Front – here is another one for you, amigo. Mirasty took a good licking in this one too, although Gilles did not knock him out.

57. GordC says:

Did Laraque ever fight for the Habs , I don’t remember him … But I remember knuckles nilan , Kordic , those were real tough guys ! Can’t wait for Parros !! Welcome Montreal ! Laraque seriously shut up you were the most overpaid tough guy ever !!! What a bust !

58. smiler2729 says:

BGL is just an idiot and a sore loser…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

59. Un Canadien errant says:

We generally say the future is bright for our team, but according to Hockey Prospectus, the future is brighter for 12 other teams. Indeed, our system is ranked the 13th best in terms of our prospect pool.

• christophor says:

Galchenyuk and Gallagher aren’t included for the ranking. If you take out of consideration the two kids in your system who were top five rookies in the league last year, and you still end up ranked 13th, that’s good news.

• habsfan0 says:

Well,13 is a lucky number.
      Cammalleri wore it.

• SmartDog says:

What Chris says above – a lot of our youth is already on the ice (Gallagher, Galchenyuk, PK, Eller).

But they say this:
      “The Canadiens have added a lot of good prospects in their last two drafts to go along with first round defensemen Nathan Beaulieu and Jarred Tinordi.”

So credit to the last couple of drafts. And to a couple of D close to making the jump.
      ————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

I think our recent drafts bode well for the future, but as we discussed here in the past, we had about 5 consecutive years where it seemed we traded our 2nd round picks and our 1st the one year, in order to build for the playoffs. Those trades wreak havoc in later years. Boston and Pittsburgh will feel a pinch in a few years not having had a 1st round pick this past season.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Some good points raised about the youth brigade on the Canadiens, but I suspect a bunch of teams could gerrymander the survey to suit its needs too. Florida can point to Jonathan Huberdeau, the Sens to its parade of young players, etc.

I’m not down on the Canadiens’ prospect, I actually sometimes need a dose of reality, and this serves quite well to that effect.

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Either he’s the only fat vegan in the world or he’s cheating on his diet.

61. Cal says:

Looks like Pat Burns’ family will have to wait on the HHOF. That’s a shame.

62. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think what most of Us are saying is Our Team simply needs a deeper cast of aggressive, physically tough high-end Players

…not one dimensional cement heads …but charactered, skilled fast Players that will shove back after having been shoved

…it’s the passivity that has to go

…for Fans with the emotionally crippled disposition of needing to see a brawl or head-beating before He goes home to be satisfied, the Parras’ and Laraques of the World, 2 useless lumbering tits aside from their skill to throw knuckle sandwiches, are their heroes

…but Chicago this season, and Montreal (vs da Phlyers and Beans) of yesteryear prove all You need is the smarts to ignore the cement heads, yet the balls to push back when being disrespected

…Parras is a psychological piece of the puzzle, but for sure any Player Bergevin adds to The Team He will be prioritizing ‘character’ over size

…though, that being said, I relish and anticipate the vision of McCarron rumbling around the ice like a Sherman Tank as soon as possible :)

• Cal says:

The 70s Habs had Chartraw, Bouchard and Robinson and others that wouldn’t back down like Risebrough and Tremblay.
      The Habs since before the MaxPac/Chara incident have been, to be generous, wusses. No balls. Having Prust and Parros is good. Having a couple on D that can fight (besides Old Man Oxo) when necessary would be a good thing.

63. WindsorHab-10 says:

What did Laraque do exactly in a Habs uniform? Absolutely nothing. The team bought him out because he was useless. To criticize Parros is sour grapes in my opinion. Parros was brought in to take pressure off Prust, no more no less. I’ll take Parros anytime over Chicken George.

64. habs001 says:

In todays NHL the fourth line has to be able to play more than 2 shifts a game otherwise your other lines will be dead tired….Concerned that the Habs 4th line will have real skating issues that will limit them ice time

• johnnylarue says:

Agree, and said as much a few posts back.

Too bad our tough guy has to be such a liability in hockey terms… but hey, it’s only one year I guess…!

65. JUST ME says:

Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brendan Shanahan, Geraldine Heaney and fred Shero were named to HHOF.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ah yes, the nebulous Fred Shero, and his renowned ‘system’, which consisted of Bernard Parent, and unleashing a horde of Ostrogoths on the league to pillage their way to two undeserved Stanley Cups.

Well-merited honour for that great strategerist.

• JUST ME says:

Could not stand the guy. To this day i cannot say that an NHL coach makes me feel as he did. The good old days i guess…

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

So true … Shero’s genius was realizing that the eventually the refs stop calling penalties and a good hooking goon is two strides faster than a good skating ingénue.

That and his teams won during the heyday of the WHA talent pool dilution.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Luke says:

How could they omit Laraque?

66. Ed says:

reading below that Parros is a “stop gap” measure, and I agree.

read a few days ago that Briere was just a “stop gap” measure and I agree.

how about someone wake me up when the “stop gaps” are over and we start COMPETING for a Stanley Cup.

“stop gaps” are a nice way for a GM to buy time while his favorite prospects develop.

If you guys are waiting for Colberg and McCarron and Beaulieu, wake me up in 2016, because 2014 and 2015 are just “stop gaps”.

• bwoar says:

At least we’ve stopped traded 1st and second round picks for stop-gaps. Agreed that this coming year is a stop-gap year. I don’t think Bergevin takes competing in 2013-14 very seriously.

“thoroughbred”

• Cal says:

When I saw the moves MB’s made thus far, I have to agree with you. 13/14 is looking like the joke is on Hab fans. (But, it’s early- we have all this month and most of next to wait for him to do something that matters.)

• Ozmodiar says:

Exactly.

I didn’t like the Briere signing but understand that not every move comes with a full explanation of how it fits into the overall plan.

Sure, Parros might turn out to be a liability on the 4th line, but who else was he going to get? It would’ve been nice if Boll or Reaves were UFA, but they weren’t, so maybe we’ll have to wait a year for something more ideal.

• Ed says:

there’s nothing wrong with trading picks, if you get a QUALITY PLAYER in return.

For years people everywhere have been clamoring for Bobby Ryan.

The Senators landed a QUALITY PLAYER, one of the few young, power forwards who can score.

I have no problem at all making a deal like that.

• Cal says:

I wish Montreal had the assets and the prospects to have made the Ryan trade. Spezza and Ryan will be scary good this season.

• bwoar says:

I was referring to Tanguay for a 1st & 2nd… remember that idiocy?

“thoroughbred”

• JF says:

A deal like that is great if you have the depth to make it. Look what Ottawa gave up for Ryan – a first-rounder, another first-round pick, and Silfverberg, who is a very good second-rounder. We can’t afford to give up that much at this point. And Ryan will be a UFA in two years; if he chooses to leave Ottawa, the Sens will have lost their picks and prospects for nothing.

• neumann103 says:

I think that the senators gave up too much for (potentially) two years of Ryan. It is not like they are poised for greatness next season. Trading your future for Ryan makes sense if you are the Vancouver Canucks and your window is closing not Ottawa or Montreal where your window starts in about 2-3 years (or longer if you just traded away your future)

That being said, I appear to think Ryan is overrated by many and that Silfverberg is underrated.

“Et le but!”

• Ozmodiar says:

Would you prefer they go for the gusto now, like Torrana’s done in the past?

Would you have traded for Murray, BMorrow, etc… at the deadline?

There are alternatives to stop-gaps, but they are expensive and don’t come with guarantees.

Patience, grasshopper. :)

• The_Truth says:

In fairness, Hab’s fans have been patient for well over a decade. This whole exact process just went through it’s cycle and failed, under Gainey/Gauthier’s famous 5 year plan.

We had stop gaps then too, while everyone was planning a parade in a few years when guys like Pleks, Ryder, Price/Halak, Higgins, Komi, Kosti bros, Grabo, Lapierre, Latendresse, McDonagh, Chipcurra, O’Byrne and others were coming up. I remember a good handful (minority) of loud posters who spoke non-stop about how things were going in the wrong direction (HH, man apart, dorval tony etc.). They were attacked and belittled, but in the end were dead on. Maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to discount those descending opinions this time.

There is no choice, but to start the process over again, but if people are skeptical, i don’t blame them. With the Habs, it always seems like it is 2-3 years away and they never end up getting a sniff.

67. g says:

article in english

Georges Laraque has reservations about hiring George Parros by the Canadiens. The arrival of a fighter is good news for the team, he admits. But the former strongman says Parros is not feared in the league and it will fail to intimidate the other teams.

“I know Parros, and that’s a good guy. He will go, he will defend his teammates. But Boston is not afraid of him. Toronto and Ottawa either, launched Laraque in an interview with La Presse. I am convinced that when the Canadiens signed Parros, the Bruins were relieved. Shawn Thornton was relieved. In Ottawa, we were relieved. ”

“This is not a guy that hurts. This is a guy who played university. Yes, it is tough, but it’s a wrestler, says Laraque. He will try to take the guy down. But this is not a finisher. ”

Parros is a notorious brawler. It was even in two seasons – 2007 and 2011 – the player who delivered the most fights in the NHL. He had led a staggering total of 27 in a single season 3 years ago. It has slowed considerably since.

But according to Georges Laraque, the number of fights is not important. Rather it is the message that is sent is important. “The number is not important, people will realize soon enough. This is a good guy, he’s going to war. But in the NHL, you can not just go to war we must win, we must intimidate. It should scare the other teams. ”

According Laraque, Parros does not scare players. His fighting technique is, he says, closer to the fight than boxing. “If you’re not intimidated if you do not fear. Even if you are a strong man, people will be in hell. The guys will say: “There will fight me to the ground, what does it matter?” The players are afraid of a strong man who can break their face, they can blow up their orbital bone, they blow up the nose, which can give them a concussion. Parros is not like that. ”

“A division of sick”

Laraque is not surprised by hiring Parros. He believes that it was necessary for Brandon Prust, who delivered 10 fights during the shortened season, had too much on his shoulders. “Prust was outstanding, he really impressed me last season. It is tough as Parros. ”

Arriving in Montreal Michel Therrien, under whom Laraque has evolved in Pittsburgh, presaged, he said, a change in mindset about the fights. “Michel Therrien respects the strong man role. He knows that it is super important. ”

He also believes that the Canadian has no choice but to arm themselves with a “policeman”. “Montreal is a division of sick!” Loose the Quebecers. During the last season, two of the five teams accumulating the most fights evolved in the North East divison (Toronto and Boston) and two in the Eastern Conference (Philadelphia and Tampa Bay).

“Florida is in the same association as the Canadian. Parros was only 33 years old. The Panthers would not let a guy like that leave, in such a rough association if it was the job, “says Laraque, who came to Montreal at age 31 for passage of two seasons interspersed with injuries.

“The Canadian is in the most tough division. Sure they are better with him. But knowing the market in Montreal, he will eat two, three flights and the world will say “tab … what we went to still get this guy …”

“I know some will read this and say I’m jealous, frustrated. I’m not jealous, I know the guy, I know all the guys in the league. People who do not believe me go see this year. ”

George Parros was acquired from the Florida Panthers on Friday in exchange for Philippe Lefebvre and a seventh round pick. There is a year left on his contract. He will earn $ 950,000 next season.

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

68. habsfan0 says:

What time today is the decision re: this year’s HHOF inductees to take place?

69. durocher says:

Looks like Parros is going to wear #15 with the Habs. Briere, though he is not yet listed, seems like a lock to wear #48.

There are still plenty of numbers for Fistric to choose from, should MB sign him!

70. Les Canayens says:

Replace the word “Parros” with “Laraque” in that La Presse article and we’ll have the impression that he’s talking about himself.

71. rhino514 says:

Much as I think Laraque is overly public, there is some interesting insight in the comments that Parros is more of a wrestler than a puncher at this point. I hope that´s not entirely true.
    Have no idea if he´ll be the deterrent they need; though I suspect, as has been pointed out, he´s probably better that nothing.
    Boy, habs management must really hate BGL at this point.
    p.s. I´m not 100% sure on this, but I believe the Blackhawks are not any bigger of a team than the habs and don´t have a real goon; I do think there is some paranoia from habs fans regarding the ubiquitous need for scrappers on the team.
    Prust, white, now Parros, I´m sure there are softer teams out there who are good teams.

To all the posters who constantly gripe about the team being soft, I always challenge with two irrefutable facts:
    1) The habs were smaller when they made it to the semis four seasons ago
    2) The habs were smaller when they made it to overtime game seven against a highly favoured Bruins team, while missing key players. Sure, they lost, but it was a coin flip in OT.

I firmly believe they just had terrible timing with injuries vs Ottawa, and were definitely a superior team.
    But congratulations to all the buff proponents, Bergevin has listened to you with the signing of Mr. Mustache

• jrshabs1 says:

Good points. You must have forgotten how that small Hab team that made the semi’s ran into a much bigger and more physical Flyer team, 5 games later the summer started. Your points are all made on what if’s, Habs were at the losing end of each and everyone of your scenario’s. That is the problem, plus, each time you mentioned a what if the variable each time was injury. Habs couldn’t win when key players were always hurt because they were small and injury prone.

Go Habs Go!!

72. SmartDog says:

Laraque (the most useless fighter ever) needs to shut his veggie-burger eating pie hole.

Parros is an INFINITE step up from his bullcrap act. What an ass.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

73. ahabsfanoutwest says:

“He puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one his in the morgue. That’s the Chicago way.

Leo

74. Tomi says:

Has Bergevin made any more brain dead moves today?

Is Michael Therrien still the coach of this team?

75. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

As for why the Habs need Parros… Does anyone remember Sean Connery’s terrific line in “The Untouchables”?

“Isn’t that just like a wop? Brings a knife to a gun fight.”

While this is followed by Mr Connery having his ultimate gun fight, the concept is there.

To ice a team in this league, you need to have 1 goalie, 17 skaters, and 1 boxer who can also skate. A couple of your skaters should be able to box pretty well too…