Lapierre, O’Byrne recalled; Grabovski sent down

The Canadiens today announced that they have recalled forward Maxim Lapierre and defenceman Ryan O’Byrne from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

The team also announced that Mikhail Grabovski has been sent to Hamilton to make room on the roster for Lapierre and O’Byrne.

This is from the team’s official release:

Lapierre, 22, ranks second in scoring with the Bulldogs with 14 points in 19 games (seven goals, seven assists). He is a plus-2 with 63 penalty minutes.

O’Byrne, 23, collected eight points in 18 games (two goals, six assists). He is a plus-4 with 43 penalty minutes.

Grabovski, 23, played in 12 games for the Canadiens this season. He recorded two points (one goal, one assist).

1. Lee Hayes says:

How do you, sitting in Sudbury know anything about Carbo? “doesn’t like skilled players”, what a foolish statement. Love your picture, wont tolerate your shamefull Carbo bashing.

Go Habs Go

2. Will Longlade says:

The Ducks have called a press conference to announce Scott N.’s return. Maybe picking up Selanne for a year or two isn’t as far fetched a notion as it once seemed? Does anyone know what’s happening with Selanne?

3. coutNY says:

Yes, I could see it prolonging our slump by Ryder not ajusting to a foriegn LW position bringing our two top point getters down; Resulting in opposing team shut-outs night after night!

Kovalev and Koivu are not usually goal scorers. THey’re assist men and if their mates aren’t scoring no one is scoring.

Why 5-5 would Not work as opposed to PP with those 3 together:

PP opens up play for Ryder to be able take a wrist shot. 5-5 means he has to beat a player to make an opening. This year he has not been able to find open space.

PP also allows Ryder to position him self to compensate for playing in a foriegn LW and in 5-5 has to keep moving and would have to receive passes on his back hand again not able to do this year.

PP allows a forward the luxury not having defensive reliability because of their numerical advantage, obviously does not exist in a 5-5 situation.

4. ebk says:

The team is absolute crap 5-5 right now. I don’t see how the Ryder-Kouvi-Kovalev line would be any worse than the line combo’s they have now. They are also then set up for the PP.

5. coutNY says:

Opps agruing different things! Disregard the earlier post…well at least Krob1000.

I think EBK was suggesting these as our 5-5 lines, not pp units kro1000? 5-5 is what I was arguing against…

6. krob1000 says:

Play Latendresse with Higgins and Plekanec as a second unit. Kostitsyn should not be on the power play yet…at least Latendresse is good in front of the net as a big body.

7. likehoy says:

Grabs is gone, he played his last game with the habs…am I upset? nope…

I’m more upset that perezhogin has 22 points in 24 games in Russia where they only count 1 assist per game.

8. krob1000 says:

Could be worse she could have had a crush on a monster like O’Byrne….although Locke is more likely to score with her.

9. nightmare_49 says:

There is no doubt that Corey Locke is one of the best offensive threats in our farm system also there is no doubt that he is the softest player in our farm system and that is not what we need right now. As far as Killer (Brian Kilrea) is a very sucessful coach in the OHL and has a great network to supply him with the talent but as a coach he’s not the best in developing a player’s overall play. Many prospects come out of Ottawa 67’s but most need a lot of time to learn the game as killer plays them to their strength only but their are a few exceptions and Kilrea’s stint as an assistent coach in the NHL didn’t last long for that reason. He has a great personality a la Jacques Demers and grooms the players well about life as a hockey player but for hockey developement their are questions,IMO.

10. Derek says:

no becuz we have 23, since murray is gone.

11. Edwardo says:

So do we put Breezer with Bouillon? Oh no……….

12. saku11 says:

I don’t think Koivu is slowing down just yet considering he put up career best numbers last year with linemates that were still developing. Guaranteed if Koivu played with Kovalchuk or Ovechkin on his wing, he’d get 90+ points every year. Look at what happens when he plays with Selanne at the Olympics. I guess my name indicates that I’m biased, but Koivu has played his entire NHL career with mediocre linemates. Higgins has developed into an excellent player and will continue to get better, now he just needs a right winger.

But again, if Gainey could somehow bring Lecavalier or Thornton over, then I’m all for it. Somehow I doubt they’re available.

Koivu might be listed at 5’10 but he plays like he’s 6’4.

13. krob1000 says:

Looks like you beat me to the Ryder with Koivu and Kovy on the PP. We are right though.

14. krob1000 says:

That is exactly why he was sent down……It almost looks as if they are getting ready to waive someone or make a salary dump type trade for a mid round draft pick. I am only saying it can be looked at like that so please no pouncing on me……I am Not Miakael Samuelsson so that means you too Dandenault. I think if these guys are brought in (lower salaries) and a guys is dumped than I will know that something is i the works. For now it is obvious that the moves are intended to continue the shaking up process but if O’Byrne and Lapierre impress enough then it potentially opens all sorts of doors.

15. krob1000 says:

Hmmm…

I think Lapierre will work his tail off and be a valuable addition on one of the depth lines. I thought Grabovski played great last game and was starting to look more at home though. He is weak but his speed more than compensates for that and he will only grow stronger over time. Grabs will be back ….no doubt about it. I think that Lapierre will pose a serious threat to Begin, Smoke and Kosto and force those guys to bring it every game or sit.

O’Byrne…..We definitely neeed someone to start moving guys as demonstrated again last night with another heavy traffic floater geting through (the third goal took what life we had and destroyed it). Every time the opposition shoots from the blueline lately I get an uneasy feeling as there is usually four or five gusy (because we have collapsed PK style and not moved a guy or two from the other team). This has led to several ugly goals that make the goalies look terrible when the reality is you can’t stop what you can’t see (although Price saw Zetterberg’s and Datsyuk’s last night).

Last night I thought we looked alright until the Red WIngs scored the third goal. The difference last night was that Datsyuk and Zetterberg were so much better than their defenders last night. Ryder looked completely lost on the line they had him on and why he was playing on the half wall on the pp I do not know. He should be in the slot or the guy down low to either circle out and shoot or drive/screen the net if a shot is to come. He would also work better on the unit with Kovy as he tends to control the pp when he is on it from the left side. I think this would force defenders to either cut off a pass to Ryder or the left defenseman jumping down or it allows Kovy to do his patented circle in an shoot from the top of the right circle. Ryder gave a couple pucks away and played his worst game in a while in my opinion although I did like that Carbo at least played him on the PP. Ryder scored so many PP gals last year because Souray controlled things from high on the left side and teams either went at him or took Ryder away….whichever one wasn’t covered scored more often than not.

Higgins got another one going to the net and seems to score even on off games. I believe his 40-40 goal will definitely become a reality in the next couple of years as he is also looking more aware and even had his head up most of the time.

Price looked very human last night and was due for a game like this. Datsyuk’s one shot was just a great shot but the otehr (five hole) should have been stopped and the last goal was a must stop as well but the game was done by then anyway. The long shot was deflected very far out but again it was the traffic that caused that one.

Anytime I see Kovy and Saku on the ice together something good happens and I would be curious to see the result of reuniting Pleks-Higgins and Kostitsyn and having a first line of Koivu,Kovy and Ryder. Ryder and Lats could be interchangeable between the third and first lines. Fourth line is no place for Ryder.

We still have plenty of time to work things out but at some point we are going to have to decide on something and stick with it for a while.

I think the Bruins are in for a tough matchup with us as the team is going to be hungry and given these roster moves, Ryder’s treatment, Markov being called out,etc the guys who want to remain in Montreal had better start working….I believe they will.

16. kevin m says:

That’s your prerogative Saku11. I’m not saying that smallish centers can’t excel in the bigs, it’s just that aging smallish centers can’t… in most cases. I just have a problem with lines consisting of 3 forwrds under 6′ & 195 lbs in this present day NHL.

I will admit, however, that the Habs’ style of play is also not really conducive to scoring, so, I don’t know whether 1 top flight center will help or not.

17. AdamG says:

unless huet goes on the IR or someone aside from grabovski is sent down, doesn’t this leave us with 24 on the roster?

18. saku11 says:

hehe i hate those guys!! damn toothpicks

19. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

At least someone will be crashing the net though.

20. ebk says:

grabovski will get more $$ playing in Russia and more security.

21. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

I think Koivu is getting tired of playing with someone new every game. Lapierre shouldn’t be on the top line, he just isn’t there yet.

22. Plek-Andrew says:

Hope everyone is happy…
    everyone’s been crying for Lapierre and O’Byrne so here they are!
    I’m happy O’Byrne is here… just not so sure about Lapierre…
    I could just see the look on his face when they told him he was coming back.
    I’m sure he took the toothpick out of his mouth and said “meh… it was just a matter of time…”

I dunno. He looks like the kinda guy who walks around with a toothpick in his mouth….
    Let’s hope he can use it to stab goalies in the eyes as he’s crashing the net!

23. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

I agree that the third line would blow, but the fourth line might be effective… might.

24. ebk says:

Ryder has had his most success on the LW with Koivu and Kovalev on the PP. Time to give it a shot. Play Higgins with Plekanec and Kostitsyn. Play Chipchura and Latendresse with whomever is playing the best out of the rest of their forwards. Please ride the top two lines, like most of the top teams do. And no more defenseman on the forward lines. My god, is that not the best indication of how poor the Habs depth is at forward? If Dandenault is not good enough to play in your top six D, then move him for a forward who can play on the 3rd line. There are many teams where he would fit as a top six defenseman.

25. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

Doesn’t Locke have to clear waivers aswell? I always liked the guy, My girlfriend used to have a crush on him… that was weird. Watched him play for the 67’s though, very impressed.

26. JF says:

Good move, but I can’t see it having much immediate impact. The added physicality will help, but we still need someone who can put the puck in the net on a regular basis.

I hope the team will be really ready for tomorrow’s game. Boston is playing well, Thomas is being outstanding, and after losing three consecutive games to us, they’ll be bent on revenge. It could be ugly.

27. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

I think you’ll see Hamrlik babysitting O’byrne, not Bouillon.

28. Ibleedbleublancetrouge. says:

Tell you what, we can move Brisebois into center and play with 5 dmen, that’ll be one line combination he hasn’t tried yet!

29. fun police says:

why do we need four lines?

higgins captain K ryder

kots pleks kovy

laps chips lats

begin (insert double shifted player here) dandy

the fourth line should only play 4 minutes max.

defense

komi markov
    ham obyrne
    bouillon gorges
    streit

pressbox: smolinski, brisebois

30. Corio says:

Looking forward to seeing how this will shake things up, I think fresh blood was needed. It will be nice to see Lapierre’s tenacity on the rink again..

Get rid of Brisebois!

31. fun police says:

the problem with locke is that he’s not a converted defensemen playing the wing. carbo doesn’t like skilled players.

32. Chuck V. says:

Remember that Lapierre was sent down to Hamilton so that he could learn how to play on the wing, and while he surely could still centre one of our checking lines, why not try a guy with this speed and grit on one of the top 2 lines. The kid also has a shot and definitely doesn’t mind doing the dirty work. Maybe try him out at Ryder’s old spot on the first line.

As for O’Byrne I most definitely agree that we should play him with Hamrlik, as he never seems to panic and surely could teach young Ryan a thing or two about the NHL as he did with Phaneuf. I just hope we don’t stick him with Cube or in the press box in favour of Breezer.

Hopefully our lines will look something along the lines of this:

Higgins-Koivu-Lapierre
    Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
    Latendresse-Chipchura-Dandenault
    Streit-Begin-Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek
    Hamrlik-O’Byrne
    Bouillon-Gorges

33. Barts says:

Brisebois should sit… forever.

34. fun police says:

your last two lines wouldn’t even be competitive in the ahl. we all know how carbo rolls his lines like peewee houseleague. your third and fourth line would kill us at 12 minutes per game.

35. fun police says:

would you guys stop with the two defensemen on the third line crap. your killing me.

36. Chuck V. says:

i don’t think that’ll be the case. i think that grabs knows that he has a very bright future with the habs alongside many of our prospects but even he must recognize that despite his skill set and speed, his strength is not up to NHL standards. someone needs to get that boy on a weight program fast

37. Habs_008 says:

You guys need to get off this Vinny thing, he is not coming to SAVE US! There are not trades happenin now-a-days, this is the next best thing to shake-up a team. Sit the Breezer, put in O’Bryne, maybe sit Ryder he is a waste of a roster spot right now.

Higgy- Captain K- Lats
    Kovi- Pleks- Kostinysin
    Steit-Chips- Ryder/Dandi
    Begin-Lapierre- Tommy K

38. saku11 says:

I have to disagree. Once Koivu and Higgins get a linemate that can keep up and not a converted defenseman, a career fourth-liner or a struggling power forward every thing will be fine. The guys you mentioned were drafted either first or second overall, and would definitely make the Habs a better team, they’re just impossible to get. That being said, Datsyuk and Marc Savard aren’t big centers and they get the job done.

39. The Ian Cobb says:

I wonder what the hell is the matter with Cory Locke!
    When we drafted him he was the top junior scorer two years in a row. I watched him play for the memorial cup and many games for the Ottawa 67s. He is a pure goal scorer, one of the quickest release shot guys that ever played for Killer in his coaching career, and he sure has had a few.

I don’t pretend to know what it is that keeps him down on the farm, but if he were up here with us i guarantee we would see the red light come on much more often.

Well at least we are starting to let the boys know that there are others who want there jobs. Lets start bringing up the farm and cutting off the dead wood.

Deadwood remember, is a long way from the HEART !

40. Andrea says:

nice!I have been wanting this to happen for a long time. i think these 2 players will bring more physicality to the habs line up. and i agree o’byrne should play with hamerlick.

41. nightmare_49 says:

I’m very happy to see Ryan O’bryne And Maxim Lapierre called up as i thought the Habs were determined to develope them in Hamilton no matter what. It’s simple , the “D” 4th thru 7th is too small and soft with the exception of Cube and he’s 5 foot something. O’bryne size will help and with patience should be a keeper in the mix as both Dandy and Streit will continue to be utilized as forwards though Sreit must play better than last night and i know he can. Lapierre will add a spark and can act as a bandaid for now and if he hasn’t improved his overall play should be returned to develope in Hamilton. We don’t want a Lou Angotti. Sergie Kostitsyn is the future coming out of Hamilton for now and we shouldn’t hesitate to call him up as i’m sure he can play consistant with enough ice time to develope as a Hab.

42. Edwardo says:

Good move, nice to see some change. I don’t know how much it will help though.
    It would be kind of scary to see O’Byrne, who is still adjusting to the NHL teamed up with Bouillon.

43. ebk says:

my only worry about Grabovski is that he will follow Perezhogin back to Russia after the season.

44. Thumper says:

Good move, so BG sees changes are needed at last, hopefully he makes some more activity this week. We need someones beautiful girlfriend/wife to take one for the team and shmooze with the Tampa GM, get him drunk and somehow agree to let my favorite league player, Vinny, come to the Habs………I know I know but its a nice dream and in Sam Pollocks day he would have found a way.

Anyway glad to see Maxim where he belongs and good luck to O’Byrne. As long as he gives 100% he’ll be fine. As for Maxim, no doubt he’ll give 110% every night guaranteed.

45. ebk says:

you are correct sir.

I’m hoping we have seen the end of the defenseman playing forward crap.

46. Mr.Hazard says:

It was bound to happen. Lapierre better kill. I mean kill. I know he can.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

47. sidhu says:

Grabs will be back – I was impressed by his skill and speed, he also played well with Kostitsyn. He just needs to work on being stronger on the puck. If so, he’ll be a strong player for us.

48. sidhu says:

Best. News. Ever.

We need Lapierre and O’Byrne’s grit, size, and energy.

49. fun police says:

are you crazy!!! a third line with two defensemen on it. come on. lafleur would be right then. a bunch of fourth liners.

50. Erik says:

tell how the hell a guy like smolinski could sommand 2 mil a year with a ntc what the hell.

51. Chuck V. says:

beat me to it!

exactly what needs to happen. nobody is goign to give us anything for them anyways so we may as well rid the team of them. i doubt either of them will be back with the team next year anyways and they’ve done nothing to help the status quo… which begs the question: what exactly do these two do for the team at the moment?

52. Chuck V. says:

well clearly grabs was being sent down because he’s the only forward on a 2-way contract they’re willing to send down, but would it really have hurt to send smolinski down? even if he does get picked up that clears cap space and he was dead weight anyways.

53. 4everhabfan says:

it’s about time!! hopefully this will shake things up. i still think the whole coaching staff needs a sit down with dr phil!!!!

54. eyhp says:

About time. Next step: put deadweights Ryder and Smolinski on waivers. Trust me no one will pick them up.

55. RiverviewCanadien says:

I still would like to see the younger Kostitsyn brought up…send some big guys down to Hamilton for a while and see if they do anything there…if not…they proved they stink

56. kevin m says:

These guys definitely need more size on defense. So I welcome O’Byrne. Lapierre will spell Smolinski… with a bit more energy. I just hope they get to play rather than sit in the press box.

That being said, this team still lacks a 1st line center, the likes of a Thornton, Lecavalier or Eric Staal who have significant size, skill and above all the ability to make the players around them better.

With all due respect to Koivu, at this point in his career, he is, at best, a second line center. The Habs are too small up the middle & lack another top 4 defenseman. Until these two positions have been addressed, the future remains bleak.

57. Wops says:

O’Byrne needs to play with Hammer, I agree.

What about a fourth line of Bégin-Kostopoulos-Lapierre? Lots of Crash and Bang!

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev