Labour talks to resume on Tuesday

Bettweb

The NHL and the players’ association agreed on Monday to resume labour talks Tuesday following a weekend session with NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr. It was the first meeting between the two sides since Oct. 18.

Monday marked Day 51 of the lockout.

Both the league and the NHLPA decided to keep the exact location of Tuesday afternoon’s bargaining session private.

Both players and owners were expected to be in New York for Tuesday’s meetings, including Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, who told reporters in Pittsburgh that he made a “last minute” decision to go to New York.

No new formal proposals were made on the weekend, but it is believed the issue of payments of existing player contracts was a big part of the discussions.

“I’m not in a position to talk substance about agenda or expectations,” Daly wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

You can read more by clicking here.

Philadelphia Flyers teammates Max Talbot and Bruno Gervais, who organized La Tournée des Joeurs, announced Monday that the barnstorming tour across Quebec by locked-out NHLers was finished, but not before raising more than $400,000 for a variety of charities.

“We have a small group of volunteers who followed us around who have real jobs and it was getting hard for them and it was getting hard to maintain the number of players we needed so that we have a good game,” Talbot said at a news conference announcing the tour was over.
You can read Pat Hickey’s column from the news conference by clicking here.

Meanwhile, the Florida Panthers, trying to keep their season-seat holders happy during the lockout, offered them 50 per cent off the price of tickets for The Who concert that was held on Nov. 1 at the BB&T Center. Read more by clicking here.
(Photo by Chris Young/The Canadian Press)

1. Mavid says:

I am trying to not get excited help me out here

2. HabFab says:

TSNBobMcKenzie – Born/raised in Toronto, proud of it, but no city quite says or feels hockey like one I’m in today. Even when NHL isn’t playing. #montreal

HEAR HEAR!!

• Bripro says:

Sweet!

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

3. Rad says:

While we’re waiting, here’s a trip down memory lane …

4. HabFab says:

This was previously mentioned but here is a link. Bennett is defenseman of the week in the NCAA;

5. jols101 says:

Never really followed the AHL even during the last lockout but with all the young talent this year I am excited to watch more Bulldogs games…Does anyone else feel like the games are few and far between ? How many games do AHL teams play each season?

6. habsfan0 says:

What’s more likely to happen? A Mitt Romney presidency or Carey Price winning the Hart & Conn Smythe Trophies while leading the Habs to the Stanley Cup one season?

I say they both don’t happen.

• Lizardking89 says:

I’d have to agree with you both are equally unlikely.

• twilighthours says:

And this is another weak effort by a guy still living in some Halakian alternate universe.

Come on, time to give it up. Really.

• Cal says:

Price will win the Hart and the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup. All in the same season? Who knows. I like what Toe Blake said. “Predictions are for gypsies.”

• Timo says:

Once Gomer re-signed to a 10mil/year extension and MAB is signed to finish his career in Mtl, Price’s winning a cup and Hart and Conn Smythe is a given. Although, one would argue that MAB would win the Conn Smythe.

• L Elle says:

What’s more likely to happen? Habsfan0 will eat crow at some point in time. ;)

Idk about all the hardware, but Stanley Cup is good enough for me.

• frontenac1 says:

Mitt?!!! I hope Obama wins big and publicly shoves the result up Mitts arse and down his throat and sends him back to the wilderness whimpering like the little girl that he is. There, that feels better! Go Habs, Go Als and Go Obama!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Apparently Mitt needs to win in Florida and Ohio, which the Habs could do.

And Romney has no chance in Philadelphia, Boston or New York.

So just like the Habs really.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

7. Mustang says:

I have one thing to say about the negotiations between the NHL and the NHLPA “Tell me when it’s over”.

I love the game of hockey in spite of Bettman, Fehr, the owners, and the players who are all only interested in the money that they expect the fans to plunk down.

8. Mattyleg says:

I like the fact that they’re not making the location of their talks public.
    Once again, takes them out of the ‘look big for the camera’ mode and into the ‘in camera’ mode.

Promising.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Habfan10912 says:

Tweet from Dan Rosen
    Don Fehr said the goal is to keep bargaining until a deal is reached. He didn’t want to make any predictions on what could happen.

———————————–

10. Habfan10912 says:

From the NHLPA.
    Players in NYC for resumption of CBA talks: Adams, Backes, Biron, Campoli, Crosby, Darche, Hainsey, Hedberg, Lucic

———————————–

• HabFanSince72 says:

Why Lucic? Muscle in case it turns nasty?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• bleedhabs81 says:

They wanted him there to make sure the language was dumbed down enough for all the players to understand… if Lucic understands it, everyone will.

• Cal says:

Lucic’s bigger than Bettman, so he’ll hit him from behind like he does all the smaller vulnerable players on the ice. I still think of that hit on Miller. I’m hoping Miller decapitates him this season.

• commandant says:

Lucic got confused, he thought it was an ABC meeting instead of CBA.

He figured he still had a lot to learn at a meeting where they were teaching ABCs

Poor guy, still trying to learn the alphabet.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Haborama says:

I don’t think Lucic scares anyone really, I always find it comical how he acts so tough running smaller players and fighting non-fighters, the guy is a joke, if it weren’t for Thornton or Chara Lucic would have been beaten out of the NHL years ago.

He showed his true colors when he ran away from George Laraque in 2008, when I hear the word LUCIC, that’s the first thing that comes to mind. I amazes me that he is still feared after that happened.

The guy is a huge coward, nothing more, I cant wait until someone bigger and better comes along and ends his career (the day will come….) if that happens then every NHL fan will stand up and cheer. 3:)

that’s just my two cents.

11. Habfan10912 says:

NHLPA holding a presser at 1:30. Negotiations slated for 3:00. I think we’ll know by tonight if there is going to be a season.
    ———————————–

• Cal says:

All this and Romney/Obama, too. Can we stand the suspense?

• L Elle says:

Fingers crossed. Are you just as excited to know the election results? hehe

• Blondie says:

Why on earth would they have it an hour and a half before the meeting?

I hope they have nothing but good things to say but it seems like an excellent opportunity to torpedo talks.

Man, I find myself trusting both sides less and less every day.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good question Blondie. Perhaps they’ve just made themselves available to appease the press. Not sure if Fehr will be there. I agree with you that what we hear after the session will be if more interest.

———————————–

12. twilighthours says:

I see teliopost dropped a hockeyyyyyyy insiderrrrrrr rumour.

Are any of sure that telio isn’t actually the same person as hockeyyyyyyyyyyyy insiderrrrrrrrrr?

Question to all you people trying, and I use the word lightly, to write hockey based lyrics for already existing tunes… do any of you understand what the concept of rhyming is or perhaps better yet what metre is?

Reading some of these half-arsed attempts is like driving a car with wooden wheels on a cobble stone road.

14. DorvalTony says:

Greedy idiots screwing the fans.

• The Dude says:

Romney is not a Habs fan…..but he is a greedy ,warmongering bullspiter who should take all his wives and himself back to the Planet Kolob and run for leader there,lol

• Blondie says:

I read a great description of the contrasts earlier this morning:

“President Obama’s fairly grim, toothless, meandering and perfunctory presidency gained excellent contrast from an assemblage of GOP candidates so demented and corrupt that even to so describe them would be an insult to the many hard-working demented and corrupt politicians extant today. It was an array of desperate, shambling criminals (and Jon Huntsman, who presumably was there on a bet) that may have been unprecedented, even in the stinking cesspool of American politics, in its lunatic evil. The “winner” of the GOP race was always going to be the one who didn’t shit themselves on stage. But the GOP itself couldn’t win, because, of the bunch running, the best you could hope for was a candidate who didn’t shit themselves on stage.

Which is exactly what the Republican party got. A man who’s only coherent when he’s lying. Any solid political points he might have made have been washed away in a tide of dissembling, flipflopping and outright bullshitting.”

• Luke says:

It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it… anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

- Douglas Adams

• Blondie says:

I agree with the general principle. Unfortunately, I don’t think roping in a more suitable, unwilling person would result in a better performance.

Maybe anarchy is worth a shot. :)

15. veryhabby says:

Well we all know this is crunch time now. The next 2-3 weeks are what is left to actually save the season in my opinion. I felt that once the NHLPA rejected the owners offer a few weeks ago, that the owners would wait a few weeks before getting back to bargaining. Looks like I was right. Why did I think this? Well because the last proposal the owners said this was to save the 82 game season. I knew if the owners didn’t get EXACTLY what they wanted then they would want the players to suffer a tad. Owners are losing $ daily. But the players were still getting escrow money till last week, and the players were saying that they could still play 82 games even if season started mid-Nov. Well owners want to make the players feel like they lost something. So it’s all about them now losing salary. No more escrow payements coming, means that as of last week no new money was coming to players. Play less then 82 games, means that the players will lose salary. Right now they still believe they can play 82 games and make up all their salary for the year. Owners will not allow this to happen.

I still feel we will have a season, but owners will wait until it is definate that they can NOT play 82 games and make sure the players lose something from all this mess. Just my feeling. Season will start some time between Dec1-15.

• Phil C says:

The owners will not lose anymore money than the players, regardless of when the checks come in. The owners will get 50% of HRR, and the players will get 50% of HRR regardless of how many games they play.

I can see your point that the owners may have a petty desire to hurt the players and vise versa, but any damage the owners have accumulated will be passed on to the players. That’s the whole point of a linked system and cost certainty.

16. wjc says:

I have a question. What if a Leaf fan (not me, Canadiens all the way) finally saw the light and discarded the Leafs. What if instead he realized, rightly, the Canadiens were the team he now liked.

This like turned to love, and he disowned anything Leaf. He now loaths the Leafs. Smart lad eh?

Now the question, can he now when talking to Leaf fans and rubbing it in, claim the 23 cups as his?

Does he have the right, this is a serious question.

wjc

• mark-ID says:

I will say yes he does. I was born in ’84…so was only around for two of their Cups…even then, was very young for both. But I will still bring up the cups won when in an argument with someone else.
      I believe if someone becomes a Habs fan, it is for many reasons….one including being that they have such a successful and rich history…..which I am proud of, even though I wasn’t around to witness it first hand.
      If he is now a Habs fan, good for him to see the light, I say let him brag about whatever he wants :P
      If he is smart, he won’t tell people he used to be a Leafs fan.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve never really understood the whole ‘rubbing it in’ thing when it comes to supporting teams.

I couldn’t care less how other people feel when they support a team – I just assume it’s the way I feel about the Habs – and I certainly wouldn’t want to make them feel bad about something that they care about. It’s a ‘do unto others’ thing, I guess.

I don’t think anyone can ‘claim a right’ to anything that the Habs have won. We didn’t play for the team or help build it. We can be proud of our team, and of our heritage, but as for claiming anything, it’s kind of silly. I watched us win both of our most recent Cups, and I don’t consider them ‘mine’. I was proud that we had the best team in the league those two years, just as I was proud that we finished first in the East a few years back. But ‘rubbing it in’… I don’t get it.

One of my favourite moments was sitting in the Hamptons (don’t ask) a couple of summers back, and finding myself talking hockey with a Rangers fan. Neither of us had expected to find a fellow hockey fan in Jon Bon Jovi’s bar in East Hampton in the middle of July, and we had a great ‘Original Six’ chat, none of which had any ‘rubbing in’ of anything. We agreed to dislike certain players on each others’ roster, and expressed respect for the things the team had done, and was doing, right.

He gave me his card and said that I could come watch a Habs game at the Gahdens with him whenever I liked, in his season ticket seats. Shame I couldn’t take him up on it.

None of this would’ve happened if I’d tried to ‘rub in’ my team’s history, or ‘claim’ cups.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Lafleurguy says:

The Hamptons! (not a question)

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Blondie says:

Well said Matty.

Fans are fans and are going to support their teams no matter what and that is as it should be. It’s ridiculous to rag other fans because their teams have not won as many championships as others. It implies that the only worthwhile support goes to the one team every year that needs it the least, the very antithesis of fandom.

• Trisomy 21 says:

If you guys can’t handle a little friendly trash talking then i can’t see what fun you would be to go drinking with. I live in CGY and expect someone to rag on the Habs, that’s ok, I can give as well as I can take. It’s pretty easy when you support such a legendary franchise and have a thick skin.
          If I have a friend who likes the Leafs, what should I do, talk about their 1963 stanley cup or the 50 year gap in between? If he takes offense to it well he needs to lighten up and chances are he’s also another person I would not enjoy a drink with anyways with such a contentious attitude. Now would i trash talk someone I don’t know? no, but if I know them well enough it’s fair game.

• Blondie says:

Rag on their current roster, coaches, bone headed trades. Surely you can find enough ammunition, no? If the best you can do is “our team has won the most cups” and “your team hasn’t won in almost 50 years” then you’re probably a bit of a drag to drink with as well.

• Mattyleg says:

Meh, I’ve never had fun with the idea of ‘one-upmanship’.

I worked with a Leafs fan, and in the first week of the season a couple of years back, he came in and slagged me for a particularly painful Habs loss. I told him to spare me the ‘hilarious-good-time-trash-talking’ and I would spare him the same thing, which probably would have been more painful for him in the end.

We spent the season comiserating together, and congratulating each other on good performances.

I always prefer that.

And I’m sorry if I can’t help you if you need mutual antipathy to enjoy your beer.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HammerHab says:

24 cups. Just because 1 was won before the NHL existed does not mean they didn’t win it.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

17. L Elle says:

Talks have broken like the first morning
    Bettman has spoken like a little nerd
    Raise for the owners raise for the players
    Raise from all suffering fans from this world

Beat the pains of fall, dark from Armageddon
    Like the first downfall on the first grass
    Raise for the owners of the MS garden
    Flung in stupidity where his orders pass

Mine is Ken Dryden mine is the playing
    Born of the The Rocket Fans saw play
    Praise with elation, praise every morning
    Lafleur’s creation of the new play

Talks have broken like the first morning
    Bettman has spoken like a little nerd
    Raise for the owners raise for the players
    Raise from all suffering fans from this world

18. Twitter rumor of the day:

Habs to trade Subban straight up for Yakupov…re-unite Nail with Gally and Edmonton gets the d-man they so desperately need…
    Would you do it if you were MB?
    Telio

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• Kooch7800 says:

not a chance. PK will be a better asset for years to come in my opinion. Nail is great don’t get me wrong but in 5 years who would you rather have? I am thinking PK

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• 24 Cups says:

What’s your source?
      “Twitter rumour of the day” isn’t a viable source.

Steve Malarsky is full of malarkey.

• Cal says:

If I were MB (and totally drunk), I’d consider for a nano-second. Then, I’d ask, “What you been smoking, Lowe?”

• commandant says:

PLEASE DON’T QUOTE Frauds like Hockeyyyyyinsiderrrrr on HI/O.

The guy is proven to be a total joke.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• veryhabby says:

Trade PK for Nail… Edm fans would laugh in our face and say it is NOT enough. We say “no way, PK is more valuable then Nail”".

But let’s pretend this was even a real thought. Edm would do this cause they are loaded with young star forwards. Habs can do it if they feel that Beaulieu can take over whatever importance PK has on this team down the line. A trade like this is not to make the habs better this season (if one), or even next season. This is a question about would we be better with Nail and Beaulieu in 3+ yrs from now. Or are we a better team with PK and Beaulieu in 3+ yrs from now. What is easier to replace over the next 1-5 yrs….a player like Nail (Edm already has many to replace him) or a player like PK (MTL can sign a FA or keep drafting O type Dmen to add to Beaulieu, Ellis, Diaz already in the system). Typically a team can no do wrong in trading from their strength to fix a weakness. Both Edm and Habs would be doing this in such a trade.

But as I said, Edm would want more then PK.

• The point isn`t whether the rumor is serious or not (I don’t believe it for a second).

Nevertheless it is a very interesting hypothetical.

I don’t think Edmonton would make the trade.
      Telio
      The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
      Twitter: @teliopost

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Hypothetically answering…

Yes, in a hearbeat I would make that trade. I know, I know, you need D, and look at EDM with all that firepower and the team still sucks.

Difference is, Habs have Price, and that is a HUGE difference. EDM has no goalie that comes close to Price.

IMO, the Habs could afford to lose PK for that scoring flare, without really suffering as much as folks think. They have some great D prospects in the system.

But I do not think EDM would trade Nail for PK straight up, they would want more. PK alone is not worth what you would be getting back in Nail.

• New says:

I don’t think Edmonton drafted Nail first to trade him. I think Schultz will be better than PK. PK is a marketing machine. He will bring fans to seats and sell product so his value is best in a place with seats to fill. So that being said it doesn’t make sense to me unless Edmonton is moving South.

• Lafleurguy says:

Would be like trading away Chris Chelios.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• commandant says:

Agreed.

But you wouldn’t be getting a 35 year old Dennis Savard either.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

Actually he was 29 years old. Sorry for adding the silly facts.

Canadiens needed scoring, seemed like a good trade at the time. Chelios was a wild drinking, curfew breaking, hockey player.

He cleaned up his act and took his career seriously and played until he was 47 or something….who’d a thunk it.

wjc

19. Bripro says:

Following Cal’s band selection, I give you the early week’s

Hockey Frustration Song no. 20

Cue the music!

They don’t know about the game
    Found armour in Bettman’s head
    From basketball century
    Pre-dictator, I think
    They don’t know how game is played
    They try armour to be steady
    Passion out of the new lock-out tension
    Lashing out ‘cause of the no-game tension

Dismissing us all and creating this tension

That morning broke out with the news of a lock-out
    End of another season, without any backup,
    Where you could say Fehr’s already chronologically “f****d up”
    Put game on hold not disputing the lock-out

Now I know of a place it’s dark and it’s rotted

It’s a cool, sour kinda place where the players won’t spot it
    And fans destroyed the map, taken from their gut’s pit,
    However, the NHL has dumped everybody

It’d be better for all if we don’t understand
    Media or fans, no one does understand

(Instrumental)

Now the rink is the gone place, it’s dark and it’s rotted
    It’s a cool, dank kinda place where no hockey is spotted
    And fans destroyed the map, taken from their last trip,

However, the NHL has dumped everybody
    It’d be better for us if we don’t understand
    It’s better for all if we don’t understand
    Bettman doesn’t want us to understand

Let me out …. let me out …. let me out … let me out ….

*********************************************

20. HabFanSince72 says:

As some of you know there’s an election in the US. No this isn’t a political post.

One of the interesting side-stories has been the growing use of statistical models taken from sports, mostly baseball (Sabremetrics), to predict the election.

Just like in baseball and hockey there’s an old-guard versus young-turks argument going on. The old guard says get lost with your fancy numbers while the young turks just laugh with contempt.

The most famous of the statsheads is Nate Silver, who actually started off in baseball. He now has Obama at 91% chance of winning, which is considerably at odds with the punditry on the left and right.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

21. commandant says:

A quick look at The Czech, Swiss and Latvian World Juniors teams

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

22. HabFab says:

Here is a good menage of links to various reporters and their take on the CBA negotiations;

23. Cal says:

Happy Election Day to all the American Hab fans!

Tuesday is for being Tragically Hip:

24. Habfan10912 says:

I have a feeling today may be the last hope for a season. Get it done Fehrbutt!
    Kooch- If your driving to NY please check the weather and get gas when your 90 minutes out of the city.

———————————–

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

Ken Dryden, ‘Money Talks, but the fans don’t want to hear it’; Globe & Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/but-nhl-fans-dont-want-to-hear-it/article4958571/

…typical Ken, describing the obvious profoundly,
    …though a warning to some: …a tad soporific …drink Your coffee before reading :)

_________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Cal says:

You are quite right, Surrey. Dryden does describe the obvious profoundly. However, the obvious can be profound. And vice-versa. ;)

• Lafleurguy says:

Ken is a good guy, and real Hab fans shy away from mocking him.

“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” Quite obvious but still an enjoyable insight.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Cal says:

Hey Lafleur! Ken is a great guy. He’s a better ambassador for the sport than most. I was just poking a little fun Surrey’s way.

• Lafleurguy says:

Cal, you’re a great poster, and it wasn’t your comment that put down Ken! I read it as a counterpoint to Surrey. Sorry for not making that clear.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Why did the Habs ever get rid off Marc-Andre Bergeron?

27. ProHabs says:

Why did the Habs ever get rid of Johnny LeClair. Friggin idiots.

28. ProHabs says:

Why did the Habs ever get rid of Koivu. Friggin idiots.

29. AceMagnum says:

51st post! On the 51st day of the lockout…. cosmic!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

30. habsfan0 says:

Going off somewhat on a tangent:

Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay resigns.

Early favourite to replace him is Toronto Mayor Rob Ford.

31. habsfan0 says:

Apparently,the two sides are STILL far apart.

32. Kevy says:

if an agreement is made this week, when would games start? US thanksgiving?

• ProHabs says:

Whooooow. Hold your horses there Kevy. These 2 sides are still far apart and nothing much has changed. Still 2 people at the top (Betthead and Fehr) who have too much ego to lose this battle. No way an agreement is made this week. I don’t think the NHL is in a big rush now anyway with the Winter Classis now cancelled.

• wjc says:

Prohabs: Let the horses go….agreement this week, sides are not far apart, a lot has changed.

Bettman and Fehr have jobs to do and people to answer to, they do not operate in a vacuum. Agreement this week, ratification by players on weekend.

Schedule will resume around Nov. 22nd-26th and who knows the winter classic could be un -cancelled.

Just like that…..the lockout is almost history.

wjc

33. Boomer says:

Just tuned in to the super series. Did Zadarov play? what about Mantha? how’d they look?

• commandant says:

Zadarov is only playing the OHL games, I think… just like Grigorenko will only play the QMJHL games.

Mantha played, didn’t really stand out to me. Threw some hits, but really took a back seat to others in this game.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Boomer says:

really? even though their russians they can only play their repected leagues? Interesting.
        Ty for the update.

• scuba says:

I thought Mantha played pretty well. Like you said he threw some some but was pretty quiet for the first 2 periods. But that was enough to bump him up to the Huberdeau/MacKinnon line in the third to provide a spark. I thought he did that and those two stepped it up in the third.

34. showey47 says:

You have to wonder how much of an impact the lockout will have this time around. After the last lockout the league rule changes gave us a much faster game due to much less clutching and grabbing. That was also the year two of the most dynamic players in many,many years had entered the league in crosby and ovechkin. There were reasons for fans interest even though an entire season was lost. The hard core fans will no doubt be back but what does the league have for leverage to give the other half of the NHL fan base a reason to come back? Hybrid icing?

35. commandant says:

Hudon playing very well in Super Series tonight, even if Team QMJHL is losing.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

36. Haborama says:

if there is a season (we can only pray):

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
    ??????? – Pleks – Gionta
    Armstrong – Eller – Moen
    Prust – Geoffrion – White
    Gomez

Subban – Georges
    Markov – Emelin
    Boullion – Kaberle
    Diaz

Price
    Budaj

37. sreuel says:

Didn’t we talk about this late yesterday labour talks

38. frontenac1 says:

Looking good for my NFL pool this week Amigos! Tied for first with 5 other guys. 3 us have the Saints and 2 have Eagles tonight. I have 46 on the tie breaker. Vick is back tonight? Damn! Oh yeah, Hey Buttman, send me a memo when you’re ready to drop the puck you little bast*rd.

39. L Elle says:

Watching L’Antichambre, Patrick Roy “hearts” Carey Price. Sorry Habsfan0. ;)

He says one of the reasons he wanted to coach the Canadiens is because of Price, an elite and special athlete that can take a team all the way. More to follow.

40. Mondou6 says:

I haven’t watched any Hamilton games.

Why does Geoffrion suddenly look so good, compared to how terrible he was in the NHL last year?

Every time I saw him play, he looked like the slowest player on the ice. That seems like the type of thing that could be masked playing at the slower AHL pace, but something that he could never overcome at NHL speed.

• Habfan10912 says:

He’s a lot more experienced then most of the other Dog players. That’s probably seperating him from the pack. As far as his improvement from last year? He’s obviously worked on his game during the off season. Time will tell but I still don’t think he’s a top 6 forward.

———————————–

• Timo says:

Because he is playing in the AHL – that’s where he belongs.

41. HabInToronto says:

Subway Super Series!

42. slamtherimtim says:

i really believe that Mr Molson will do something special for us fans that no other owner can do once this lockout is over . this is the beginning of his ownership of the Montreal Canadiens , sure he was there last year but he now has his guys in place. he was part of the hiring of the GM and even though he let his GM pick the coach , thats just good bussiness

thanks

43. HabFab says:

Interesting read from the Wild sports reporter;

44. HabFab says:

DarrenDreger – NHLPA conference call has ended. No change in mindset. Guarded optimism until the two sides are in the same room and negotiating.

45. habstrinifan says:

I know the movement in the Labour talks is big news. But I get so excited over two Bulldog players I cant help it.

Thanks to Habfab for his bulldog stats link. I think he is excited too.

Look at the stats … WOW WOW WOW re Gallagher and Bournival. Look at their plus minus. Look at their ascendancy to top line. Compare to Geoffrion and Palushaj, ‘veteran AHLers’.

I’ve said it 1000 times and this will make it 1001 and tomorrow I’ll make it 1002. Gallagher and Bournival are gonna be stars for the CH… by next year and for a long long time. Man I wish they get some games up here duriing this season, when it happens.

• Habfan10912 says:

Habstrin- at the mini summit game Gallagher was the best player for the Dogs. I think the jury is still out on Bournival but the point is the club has many young players with NHL potential. Adding the recent draft prospects and the future does look bright.

———————————–

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve taken in a few Dogs games and you have every right to be pumped about Gallagher but I’d have to say Geoffrion has been their best all around player.

Gallagher will eventually end up on a scoring line in Montreal but Geoffrion is looking like he’s aiming to become a solid 3rd or 4th line guy that you want to take important draws and kill penalties.

Like I mentioned, Geoffrion has been the best skater and complete package for the Dogs so far. If the Habs had an injury I think he’d get the call first.

Aside from Ryan White’s ability to drop the gloves I think Geoffrion is the better player. With Prust and Moen there to handle the rough stuff I’d like to see Geoffrion there instead of White.

• commandant says:

I agree Hobie.

If the NHL started right now, I’d have Geoffrion centring the Habs 4th line.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hobie Hansen says:

I didn’t like him last year in Montreal but I have to admit he’s really caught my eye in Hamilton this year.

And now that I know Bergevin and Therrien will not stand for a bunch of pushovers, I don’t mind having Geoffrion, who’s not a scrapper, on the 4th line because we’ll have a few more guys elsewhere in the lineup to take care of that stuff…..FINALLY!

• Habfan10912 says:

His girlfriend is very good looking too. :)

———————————–

• commandant says:

Oh yeah, she was smoking hot.

I don’t think he understood my joke though (or maybe he’s heard it a 1000 times)… the one about him making sure that Trevor Timmins and the Habs scouts have full access to scout his future kids one day.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports