Labour board hearing postponed as talks continue

Gary Bettman
Another day, another flicker of hope for a break in the logjam in the National Hockey League’s labour dispute.
Instead of squaring off at Quebec’s labour relations board on Thursday and Friday, the NHL and NHL Players’ Association plan to concentrate on negotiations.
The Commission des relations du travail agreed to postpone the hearing about the legality of the NHL lockout in Quebec at the request of the parties.
The Players’ Association, the NHL and Canadiens jointly asked the judge to postpone it so that the league and players’ association could focus on bargaining, the NHLPA said.
The news came Wednesday as players and a select group of team owners resumed talks in New York. The two sides met for about eight hours on Tuesday, which was cautiously viewed as a sign of progress in resolving the dispute.
They met again briefly on Wednesday morning before the league’s Board of Governors meeting and are now back in talks again.
The lockout has sparked the cancellation of 422 games from Oct. 11 through Dec. 14. The outdoor Winter Classic between the Red Wings and Leafs on Jan. 1 in Ann Arbor, Michigan has been scrapped along with the All-Star game planned for Jan. 27 in Columbus, Ohio.
The NHLPA and 16 Canadiens players filed an application with the Commission des relations du travail a few days before their collective bargaining agreement expired on Sept. 15.
They sought a provisional order to prevent the NHL and Canadiens from authorizing a lockout against the team’s players. They also asked the board to declare that any lockout imposed on the team’s players would be a violation of Quebec’s labour code and to order them not to give the green light to such action.
Judge Andrée St-Georges rejected the request for a provisional order but said the two sides would be called to a hearing on the merits of the question. The hearing was scheduled for Thursday and Friday this week.
The NHLPA also challenged the legality of the NHL lockout in Alberta but the province’s labour board dismissed the application in October. The NHLPA has appealed the decision.
“Those maneuvers are all simply to try and create pressures and get leverage in the negotiation,” contends Richard McLaren, a law professor at Western University who is a listed arbitrator for the NHLPA for disputes between players and agents.
“They’re not of themselves going to result in any breakthroughs or major impacts, McLaren said earlier this week.
The hearing at Quebec’s labour relations board could still resume at a later date unless they are able to reach a deal, the NHLPA said.

1. nunacanadien says:

The solution to this is let the bottom five teams go bankrupt and dissolve them. Sell them to a Canadian city that could support them. Quebec City and Hamilton and probably Vancouver could use teams, they could support the league better than the compromises Bettman is trying to get all players to put up with in order to subsidize hockey in the USA.

Also it is time that a more fair system of taxation be considered, between the players and owners and the owners and the respective city they may be in. Fair taxation I understand it out of the league and player’s hands but honestly if the two say they need to have a better atmosphere to help when times are scarce like now with the economy the way it is….

Finally, time to stop this dumping on Canadian teams. Let the best go where they should go, don’t let the owners and Bettman dictate where the superstars go by hampering the more profitable teams from actually competing. Imagine the wealthiest teams like Toronto and others can’t even compete on a level playing field because of taxes, and bribes and the corruption created by Bettman wanting to play ambassador of hockey.

Let hockey win fans for the sake of hockey. Not some little guy who has a mission to create a profit for himself at the expense of great players from Quebec who end up in the weirdest places where they have never heard of hockey, like Tampa and elsewhere, I’m not talking about snowbirds here, I am talking about Americans not know what the heck hockey is about.

2. jols101 says:

Meetings still going on or are they done for the night?

3. Mike D says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

IF I were going to read into anything, I’d be more likely to focus on fact that flow of info/details from room is shut down tight.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

I think any settlement will have to include a tar and feathering of both Bettman and Fehr. Televised live of course.

5. Cal says:

I would be perceived as prescient if they announced a deal in, oh, say 6 minutes. Oh well…

6. Habilis says:

“Helene St. James‏@HeleneStJames
    Source: “Not looking great” after latest talks tonight between owners, players.”

Uh oh.

• ProHabs says:

who the hell is helene st. james and what does she know.

The lockout is ending tonight.

• Habilis says:

She’s a Red Wings reporter with the Detroit Free Press. I think I jumped the gun by posting her tweet, others are saying that the meeting is still going.

I’m with you though, I really think that this will all be over by the weekend at the latest, they seem too close now. Tonight would be spectacular.

Edit: Definitely jumped the gun because now they’re all tweeting about hockey on Christmas day. Why would anyone bring that up if they weren’t close?

7. Chuck says:

Sooo… what’s the latest? I hear that Crosby had the chicken…. confirm?

___________________________________________________

8. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I was wondering what fans could do, if and when the strike ends, to show their displeasure at the time wasted. I was thinking at first that they should just refuse to buy anything at the concessions stands for 1 game. Then I thought that that would only bother the owners. Then I thought that maybe, as a protest, the fans could stay out of the rink area for the first five minutes of the first game, make them face off and play to empty stands. Then I thought that they’d think they were playing in Toronto…Then I thought maybe the fans should go in but just refuse to make any noise, but alas, the players once again would just think they were in Toronto….

9. HabFab says:

So where is the smart money on the presser??

“We have the framework of a deal”

OR

“We cannot find any common grounds to proceed”

10. Habilis says:

“Nick Cotsonika‏@cotsonika
    Hmm. Setting podium back up in media room. ”

Could it be?? Might it be???

Nah.

11. Mr. Biter says:

Reason Fehr doesn’t want to have a secret vote by the players is there are lots of players with 1 year deals or in last year of contract ( some very lucretive). Also if say the league drops 4 teams that’s 100 less players. May be more money available but less players.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

12. HabFab says:

Dustin Walsh has 2 goals tonight. Has scored 4 goals and 3 assists in past 5 games, starting to get back into game shape.

13. HabFab says:

Button has updated his prospect list. He is far down my list of evaluators but any news is better then CBA news right now;

• Fake says:

I like how he puts Jones as #1 with all due respect to Jones; I’m sure he’s a great franchise dman and all but I think Button just wants to be different. And when’s the last time the top dman was better than say the last picked dman in the 1st rd.. It’s NEVER worth it to pick a Dman over a forward 1st overall let alone the top 5.

14. HabFab says:

Stubbs with some humor;

Dave_Stubbs – I don’t think there have been this many reports of a meal ending since The Last Supper

Wasn’t as funny as JB’s tale of the Saul > Paul, which still brings a chuckle when I think of it.

15. HabFab says:

Talks recommence after meal break.
    Owners leave after 15 minutes.
    ?????????????
    Back after 15 minutes. Ate too much supper????

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…PK; a ‘passionate’ fan of the Dallas Cowboys, a longtime ‘admirer’ of Neon Deion Sanders and Jerry Jones

…hmmm, what are We gettin’ Ourselves into ??? :)

17. geo_habsgo says:

Brenda, this format you posted in is hard on the eyes. Maybe break it up so it is easier to read?

• Bripro says:

Geo? Advice?
      You start with the first word on the left, and you work your way to the end of the line, and continue with the first word to the left on the next line, and you work your way down to the end. Try it buddy. It works. ;)

• geo_habsgo says:

lol thanks buddy I appreciate it :p I only learned to read around 17 years ago so you’re definitely more experienced then I am! I’m sure you’ve forgotten more then I’ve learned, old man! ;)

18. frontenac1 says:

Volts vs Armada on Sportsnet now and PK in Da. House!

Tom Cheek is finally honoured by the Baseball Hall of Fame.

20. frontenac1 says:

So is this a real alert or just another pathetic tease?

21. commandant says:

Collberg scored another goal today. 6 goals 7 points in 14 games in the Allvenskan.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

22. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – Big meeting tonight. The goal is to make sure the moderates owners won’t be frustrated by the process.

Real_ESPNLeBrun – Warm and fuzzy feelings from last night are gone. Things are tense heading into tonight’s meeting. Pivotal session that will tell the tale

Some reality.

23. HabFab says:

Colby needs some bread;

Dave_Stubbs “@MolinariPG: Former Penguins RW Colby Armstrong, now with #Habs, has signed lockout deal with Utah of the ECHL.”

• jols101 says:

Looks about right. Perfect lineup to get Alexandre Barkov in next summer’s Draft.

• Fake says:

I assume you think Barkov is going to be a sleeper and be picked 30th, yes? :P But yeah it’ll be nice when Gomez, Gio, Markov, and Kaberle will be gone then Bergevin can build a real team.

• jols101 says:

Haha.Lol. Seriously, that lineup, if it can stay healthy, could stumble it’s way into the Playoffs. Then we get another mid 1st rounder who may or may not be a good NHLer in 4 years. It would be much better to shit the bed like last year and get another elite prospect and go from there. IMO.

• Fake says:

Oh no, totally agree and I also think Leblanc, Galchenyuk and all of the prospects should be left alone the whole year so they can develop more. No more YoYo-ing them. But whatever happens happens.

• geo_habsgo says:

Gionta has been productive for the Habs. Nothing wrong with having him on the team. Kaberle can be effective is used well enough. Markov seems to be playing solid over in Russia. Gomez has the ability to turn his career around but I don’t think he has the confidence in himself to do it at this point.

• Fake says:

You’re right about Gio and Markov but the other two.. uhm it’s just not working, and we’re supposed to be one of the best teams in the world. Lets be real, produce or you don’t deserve to be on the team or get tons of chances to rebound like Gomez. On Gio; he’s small, he’s getting old, he’s getting injured. Not only that but he will be replaced by the prospects we have coming up that are also small, speedy, and play with heart. IE: Gallagher, Collberg, Hudon.

• geo_habsgo says:

It is decent. Can’t help but feel that we are missing more than a few pieces looking at that roster. On defense I think we actually look pretty decent. On offense, I think we are a piece or two away from looking really good. Definitely a middle of the pack team this year.

The players in the system can’t mature fast enough!

24. commandant says:

If Sidney Crosby is a major factor in ending the lockout, I promise not to call him a whining little B****

At least until the first Habs/Pens game.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

25. JohnBellyful says:

These, my friends, if you look to the right, are the three most popular HIO threads:

Canadiens name Therrien coach
    Eller signs for two years
    Liveblog: Andrei Kostitsyn to Nashville is first trade of the day.

‘Grabo nets fantasy winner’ didn’t make the top three? What’s with that?

Okay checked the threads and figured out you had wonderful soliliquy’s on those and you are trying to advertise them… okay didn’t check but taking a stab.

• JohnBellyful says:

Burl’, I’m stung that you would think I had some ulterior motive in posting what was meant to be nothing than a drive-by observation, to deviate from what has pre-occupied this site for, lo, these many weeks.
        I assure you, I would never resort to cheap antics to promote myself.

26. Bripro says:

On a completely different subject, this is the second time in three days I’ve been able to access my internet at home (and home office).
    Bell….
    I called SIX times yesterday.
    My first question is always:
    “Where am I calling? Are you in Canada?”
    Shrilanka
    India
    Pakistan
    India (again)
    Venezuela
    India ( a third time )
    Can I not be served by a Canadian?
    I’m sorry, this sounds prejudice and I promise I’m not.
    This is about local investment of my locally earned money helping to stimulate another country, courtosy of a gouging big business that can’t even help me locally.
    And none of them could solve my problem, and none of them knew that it was a land line issue (found out from a neighbour this morning).
    Worse? Three of them dropped the line when I got frustrated.
    I hate Bell.

27. HabFab says:

Noticed some people talking earlier about a training camp and which prospects would be there. IMO there wouldn’t be that sort of training camp. It will be the 22-23 players on the NHL roster with a week to get practicing before games start. Others will get called up as needed.

28. HabFab says:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

The NHL and NHLPA have requested an adjournement of tomorrow’s Quebec Labour Board hearing. They’re awaiting a decision..

29. jols101 says:

Instead of one side making a proposal why don’t the 6 owners and 18 players just hammer out a new CBA? Then the 6 owners sell it to the other owners and the 18 players sell it to their union and away we go.

The ‘back and forth’ is very time consuming and one side can easily offend the other and have this thing blow up again.

30. Habilis says:

According to various twitter sources including Aaron Ward, the players have presented an offer to the NHL. They broke after 10 minutes and the NHL is now in caucus.

The next hour will be big.

31. Steeltown Hab says:

Read that Eller article where he mentioned Therrien said he was looking to use him on the wing. The only thing that’d piss me off more than this lockout is seeing more mis-use and mistreatment for Eller.

Simple formula, Throw DD on the LW (where he played well vs. Boston in the playoffs) solves our LW issue and Eller is big enough to insulate him as a C.

Pac – Plek – Gio
    DD – Eller – Cole

We might actually have a top 6…

PS. Dumont looks like he should fil the 4th Line C at this pt..

Not that I see the lockout ending..

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

• Mattyleg says:

Eller’s not quick enough mentally to be a centre.
      He holds onto the puck when he should be making plays and gets stripped.
      DD is far more instinctual with the puck in the centre of the ice.
      Eller should be using his size to work along the boards and drive to the net.

Many people are obsessed with having a ‘large centre’ regardless of his skill in the position. Play him on the wing and he’ll become a big-time scorer.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• myron.selby says:

What you see as Eller not being quick enough mentally, I see as him having the ability to hold the puck until a play develops. He is a center plain and simple.

The problem was not that he didn’t know what to do with the puck, but rather that he had guys with stone hands and no offensive abilities on his wings most nights. Most of his wingers had no idea how to get open for a scoring chance. As soon as he had someone to work with (Kostytsin for instance) he got the puck to him repeatedly in scoring areas.

• shiram says:

Moen looked good with Eller also, and they got on a little hot streak for a while, well as hot as a 3rd line playing tough minutes can get…

• Mattyleg says:

I disagree.
          Many times he skated into the zone and wasn’t able to make up his mind. If his wingers are as bad as you say, then he should drive to the net himself, or at least get a shot off.

Instead, he got stripped of the puck over and over again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Trisomy 21 says:

Hell yeah, he should just score 50 goals himself too. :P

Not many players his age can simply drive to the net. I prefer Eller’s style of play to DD’s but it’s so hard to compare them when they are given polar opposite line mates. I think I was happy with the points Eller acheived given the opportunities he was given. With so many injuries he had to play with too many green players like Palushaj and Leblanc.

But when you say you don’t think Eller has the potential mentally to be a centre, i think of the time he skated around the team short handed and got a goal almost by himself… What’s his name helped… GD it’s been too long… the Russian rook with the metal in his face. yup.

• Cal says:

Not really. Eller doesn’t have the vision to be a center. DD and Pleks do. You can see it in their passes in the offensive zone. Eller could be a better winger than a center. Hell, if he could be a good left winger, all the better.

• Timo says:

He sure looks better as a center than a wing.

• Fake says:

And to add to what Mattleg said; Mike Richards plays centre on his line with Jeff Carter.

32. Cal says:

A little news about some Habs playing in Europe, which, some say, has storied teams:

33. Kooch7800 says:

John Shannon – Was just told by an NHL Coach, that since @RealKyper reported Coaches contacting players, the teams have been warned to cease and desist

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

Kooch, for the first time in along time I think we will see hockey soon. Then we can resume the tank or no tank debate.

———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

I have a feeling it will be resolved. I think the league is taking a lot of heat and if the season is lost there will be a lot of issues that come out. In 2004 people felt and understood the cap and why it is needed….now there is no sympathy.

I can’t wait to yell at the TV again watching hockey. I still will not purchase habs tickets this year or buy any merchandise though

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Timo says:

With Therrien at the helm there will be no tank debate.

34. Stormin says:

If this lockout did by chance end, would really be interesting to see all the scrambling in all the other leagues ,, AHL, ECHL, KHL and all other European leagues, what a time to be a marginal player with some talent, jobs will be a plenty.. On the really damn bad front my favorite Hockey Tournament year in year out the World Juniors would also be put into some major flux and scrambling at the last moment, which really sucks…

• Kooch7800 says:

I wonder how that will work with the camp. Guys like Gallagher,Tinordi Leblanc etc …do they leave the AHL and go to camp and come back down?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habilis says:

I have been wondering the same. What about Gally? Would he come to camp? Would the Habs rather have him in camp and playing for at least 9 games or let him go to Ufa? Which option is better for his development?

• Stormin says:

I would think that there playing in the AHL all year is there camp, they have been scouted more than ever before, and management will know if any of them should be invited to NHL week long camp to fight for a job or be given a job based on there play with Hamilton thus far. I am inclined to think most of them if not all will likely just continue there progress at the AHL level.

As far as Junior players like Gally, it will depend on the CBA and if there is an agreement that teams can take a look at any of there Junior prospects for the 9 game trial period as in the past before sending them to or now back down to Junior.. Hopefully Gally can play for team USA at WJC and go from there, maybe come to the big club if he is deemed ready or at least for a cup of coffee after the WJC

35. Habilis says:

“John Shannon‏@JSportsnet
    Was just told by an NHL Coach, that since @RealKyper reported Coaches contacting players, the teams have been warned to cease and desist”

Like that’s going to happen. These coaching staffs have had nothing to do for months, they’re probably all out buying disposable cell phones as I type. The owners aren’t supposed to be talking to the players outside of negotiations either. How did that work out for Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux?

36. Mike D says:

Random thought…

Since there’s no limits on coaching staff, MB should hire Yanic Perreault as a faceoff coach. Our Centers could use the help.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

37. Habfan10912 says:

I have never commented on any of the HIO polls but this time I must. How in the world is Scott Gomez not a choice?

———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

Funniest thing I have heard all day.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Timo says:

Read my mind.

• mark-ID says:

Gomez will choose to stay with the Alaska Aces…bold prediction ;P
      Havn’t you heard, his career is flourishing over there….

• Mike D says:

With Gomez jokes resurfacing I’ll take it as a sign NHL hockey may not be far away :-)

I’m very curious if the new CBA will have a buyout clause.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Ian Cobb says:

New coaches, new system, and a new philosophy in how to manage this team and its players.
      Gomez has always been a great player for New Jersey using his talents to there fullest.
      When we start up again, Gomez just might be used in the correct way again, using his talents in a better way.!
      Great coaching bring out the best!

• Stormin says:

Ian i would like to thank you for your insight knowledge and information you have posted in the past on head injuries and concussions, and i concur on many of your posts, but Gomez will not thrive again at the NHL level he has totally lost the desire and the commitment it takes to compete at an elite level, and thus he has lost the trust of his teammates along the way..Would really hate to see Gomez back with the habs, we need our Young players gaining knowledge and work ethic from a new group of veterans like Eric Cole in the dressing room, and no more Scott Gomez distractions..

• Ian Cobb says:

He may be done at this level my friend, but until his name is not on our roster, he wears my colors and gets my support.
          Sure not fun to see him floundering.

• Habfan10912 says:

I appreciate your loyalty and optimism. As it concerns Gomez I wish I shared that with you. CHeers bud.

———————————–

38. Dennis says:

I have what I think is a nice question and answer with Robert Lefebvre, who has a new Habs book out. http://dennis-kane.com/

Dennis-Kane.com

39. Stormin says:

After all that writing and venting, a new thread and another pic of Bettman’s mug damn you all lol……

So tired of the Lockout, and the rich trying to get richer, all my sympathies are with the players, could really go on a rant about Wall Street and Wall Street types but maybe just watch the documentary Inside Job to get e very good perspective on greed infestation in the rich people who need legislation because they can not control their appetite for greed and destruction of all the hard working mans code of what is right in this world..

This brings me to my rant of the day when trying to switch to Bell Fibe TV , and realizing Bell is trying so hard to force me from my grandfathered clause of unlimited internet or bandwidth. Watch this vid to the end it is hilarious and it is so f…….true Bell and the CRTC in bed together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aadw_YSCS6Y

Some interesting concerns for us all over Bell and UBB usage base billing and Bell trying to force this type of billing on subscribers and third party vendors or re sellers. Bell has tried to use the Canadian Radio-Television Commission as there own billing enhancement tool. Bell knows that internet bandwidth will only explode in the next generation of internet usage, with Netflix and all other uses including up;oading, streaming and downloading especially with HD media, sports movies etc.. becoming the normal usage for most internet users. What costs 1 – 5 cents per GB Bell will try to impose 2-4 dollar charges per GB penalties, in the USA if UBB tried to become the normal for internet billing, they would burn down the white House in Canada we seem to take infringement on our pocketbooks with an oh well.. All these damn companies cant get nothing untill u complain then they come up with a loyalty clause to give you a better plan such a farce.. OK i can go on forever about this crap
    in synopsis rich people need legislation to keep them from spending there money, or doing unleveling things to society norms……….. …………………GO NHLPA GO

Click to Edit

Still hoping macbooks will go on some crazy sale – probably as good a chance as any.

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

…to Me, Gary Bettman’s eyes and facial-language says “I’ve been removed from the steering-wheel’ of the Good Ship Titanic”

42. VJ says:

More of the same. Blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda. Wake me up when it’s over. At least the World Jr’s are coming soon and the Bulldogs are keeping me busy (although I’m astounded at the lack of production values the AHL has with their broadcasts)

On a side note, Christmas is coming and I’ve been trying to find a little Habs jersey for my boy (ie my dog lol). Anyone happen to know where I might be able to pick one up or seen any websites that might have some (preferably in Canada, I’d like to know I would have it in time for Christmas). Does the Bell Centre carry anything? Been so long since I’ve been to the giftshop and their website doesn’t seem to have any.

Tucker (my beagle) and I thank you in advance for your help!

43. habs-fan-84 says: