Kovalev’s thumb is fine

For those of you still holding your breath, Canadiens’ flashy forward Alex Kovalev suffered no damage to speak of after being dinged in the right thumb by a shot that had him wincing in pain and dunking it in a cup of ice on the bench during Montreal’s 4-0 victory over Washington on Tuesday night.

Kovalev practised with the team today and will be in the lineup tomorrow in the Canadiens’ returm match against the Washington Capitals.

1. habsgod says:

thank-god kovy’s thumb wasn’t broke!!this would have been the single-most important injury to the team and it would have been very crushing!!!kovy has to protect that thumb in the next couple of weeks,because teams will definately be going after it!!they’ll be saying the way to beat the canadiens and slow them down is to go after kovalev’s thumb!!they’ll be trying to cheapshot him at every turn!!i for one hope this doesn’t happen!!we can’t afford to lose our best player!we have been relitavely injury free to this point and we don’t need the injury’s to happen now!

2. WestHab says:

He did atempt it once last night, it’s just hard to remember whenit doesn’t work. I think it was after the thumb thing. But he did not get a good shot away. At the time I was worried about the thumb. Ryder had a go of the move as well, no luck.

3. linp says:

There are a number of posters defending Ryder. I have nothing against him. But if you watch him closely every shift, he has no emotion, no jumps and he doesn’t skate into position to help his line mates. He only starts to hit when we lose the puck. During PP, he keeps himself along the board as if he is afraid to get hit. I wasn’t surprise he was booed in the building. He doesn’t seem to care at all.

4. RetroMikey says:

I would like to see Higgins and Koivu and Ryder/S. Kostitsyn produce more offensively this second half. We cannot count on Plekanec/A. Kostitsyn/Kovalev to carry the burden for us. It’s time for this so-caled first line to shape up or else, we’re going to get burned down the stretch. I can’t recall how many times Michael Ryder has been given the chance to shine on the first line and I really believe we won’t be seeing him after the trade deadline. His tenure here is over.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

5. Mike says:

or at least hart? i rly think the hart should go to AO or lovalev. Alfie does not deserve it. He does not have the same affect on his team that Ao and Kovalev do

6. Shiloh says:

It is impossible to take your eyes off of Kovalev when he is on the ice. He has been magnificent this year and should get some consideration for MVP.

7. Shiloh says:

My God that was beautiful! However, the Toronto-loving announcers and pundits failed to emphasize the cheap shot Tucker gave Kovy moments before retributive justice was handed out. I don’t think Darcy Whine-Tucker has been the same since Kovalev showed him who his Daddy is.

8. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Good observations…correct he swung to the point but when he turned the defense farther in didn’t take the bait and drift, so there was less room for him to snipe…

And i noticed RYDER awkwardly trying that too!

Ryder needs to SHOOT!…he’s been watching KOVY too much.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

9. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

That will forever be enshrined in my mind as well!

in fact that play alone against T.O. made up for all of KOVY’s
    shortcomings last year.

that play earned him instant MVP for the HABS for last year.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

10. Habhopeful says:

Did anyone notice during the caps game, the habs were on the p.p in the 2nd period, and plekanec passed it kovalev and kovalev started skating with the puck heading toward the point and pretended to pass it back through his legs but instead passed it to his skate, with his skate passed it back to his stick and then curled it back and passed it to streit all in a flash, he did it so fast, its was unbelievable and the nhl announcers werre shocked…”HE’S JUST HAVING FUN OUT THERE”…”did you see that, he just did something you do during a shimmy or a pick up game…My god”…I cant find it anywhere else but on NHL.com…http://www.nhl.tv/team/console?hl=true gotta put the date as jan 29th, 2008 and just watch the highlights of the game….it’ll come up…Kovalev has been amazing this year and I cant say enough about him…GO HABS GO…4-1 Habs Tonight…

11. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Almost the same story for the BUF game…

I think that DET game, the BUF and the DAL….thats about all the loses i can remember!

its been that good so far…

1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

12. Sbah Reverof says:

While I too lament the absence of “the move”, I think he has a few other moves left in his repertoire.

13. Rightwing says:

Two thumbs up. The critics are raving!

14. Naila Jinnah says:

Such good news!

15. Habs-Kat says:

Other teams have picked up on it. I noticed he tried it several times against Washington, but the players on the PK react quickly and don’t give him the lane. On the other hand, other Habs players are trying it out too except they obviously can’t do it as well (Ryder taking thrice as many strides to cover the distance Kovalev does in two).

16. Ian G Cobb says:

I’ll be looking for that one Mike.

17. Ian G Cobb says:

Question-! I heard Alfredson has gone down, how long will he be out for.??

18. Mike says:

I’m a little disaapointed that we haven’t seen “the movve” from kovalev in awhile.

“the move” is when he has the puck on the upper left circle in the offensive zone, he then goes towards the blue line, quickly turns and then goes towards the net and snaps it into the open corner. for the goal.

19. Mr.Hazard says:

Kovalev is da bomb. Le Canadien is da bomb.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

20. Ian G Cobb says:

THUMBS UP,!! He is having so much fun this year, and I did not take my eyes off of him last game in fear of missing one of his fantastic moves

21. Chuck says:

I like my Kovalev angry, and a sore paw would certainly piss him off.

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

22. wd40 says:

i sure hope so, but i doubt it.

hockey is a business and a big part of the reasoning behind the current ranking system is to spread things out across all three divisions come playoff time. I don’t like it, and as many people have stated, it dilutes the quality of the teams in the playoffs. I also imagine the owners won’t let go of this one easily.

dang it’s hard to sit behind a team that’s 8 points behind you in the conference standings. 🙂

23. nightmare_49 says:

This time last year Kovy was looking for that Russian sports writer to vent his troubles now this year he’s taking out his troubles on the opposition , what a difference a year makes.

24. Habster101 says:

the Man is Brilliant!! I watched him on you tube and the thread is probably still on there….he was staning the goal line and with one hand on the stick he shot a puck that landed on the top of the net at the other end of the rink…with one hand on the stick, and he did it more than once….
    the man must have forearms like Popeye!

thats why I notice when hes playing, no one is able to slap the puck off his stick…

he is the best player I’ve ever seen….

see the way he winds up when he takes a slap shot…

Thank the Lord above!!! that Montreal has Kovalev……Gainey is a genious for getting him…..

25. Sbah Reverof says:

Ya, I saw him do that as well, before the game against Detroit in December. Unfortunately, that was the only great thing about that particular evening for the Habs.

26. Sbah Reverof says:

Very happy for Kovy. Since his about-face at the beginning of the season, he has become not only the team’s best player, but a constant source of inspiration and leading-by-example hard work. He was my favourite player before this season, but this year I have been simply in awe of both the leader and the hockey player he has become.
    Go Habs!

27. Will Longlade says:

That’s great news. What a horse!

Dave – Great news – job well done. Take the rest of the week off!

The Original 24 Cups

29. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

THANK YOU LORD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and forum Ghosts….

Yes great article on TSN about the Habs and Kovy as 53 pointed out.

I’m sure everyone has a KOVY moment.

Mine was watching the Habs in Buffalo earlier this year during
    the pre-game warmup (mentioned this in a post at the time) and
    we were glued to Kovy to see what he does, well he was practicing
    his slick stickhandling in the corner and then one of the trainers
    on the bench began throwing hundreds of pucks towards the corner
    where Kovy was for the next drill for the team, and what does Kovy do?
    most players would have skated away while those hundreds of pucks came
    sliding towards the corner, BUT NOT KOVY!, he starts dekeing them out
    at lightnening speed, sliding his puck in between these racing sliding
    pucks, IT WAS AMAZING!

now that i think about it, obviously he knows the routine, so he put
    himself in that corner to take advantage of that!, when the trainers
    throw the pucks out for that drill! Kovy turns even that into a DRILL
    for himself!

Man is Brilliant.
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

30. wd40 says:

Phew is right.

I had the pleasure of taking in the game last night at the Bell Centre and boy, how much fun is Kovalev to watch?. WOW. You can see he’s good on TV, but when you see him in person, you really appreciate his presence on the ice. Guy next to me thought the story of the night would be Ovechkin, but not on this night. You knew from his spin-o-rama on that rush in the first period, Kovy was definitely way up for this game. Kovy, Pleks, and Kostitsyn have what’s 120 points combined on the season? Yes, we’d miss him for sure. And this guy quarter-backs the PP.

31. habfan53 says:

I was just looking at the standings and wondering if next year with the balanced schedule if they were planning on going to just conference standings 1 thru 16 or keep division standings as it is now???

Thanks for all the work you guys put in

32. coutNY says:

I was wondering if it was out there on video. I have it DVR’d but I was too into the game to rewind it… and I had the chance to get back to it. Thanks for the link!

33. Richard B says:

Higgins and Ryder need something????
    Koivu works like a dog most shifts. Higgins and Ryder do too but they just cant seem to get in scoring position.
    I notice that Ryder has been spending more time in front looking to bank in a rebound…but that an’t his game.
    I think 10 of his PP goals last yr…came from Mario’s favorite place, next to the post on the goalies blocker side.
    I think coaching has effected Ryder and Higgins, they aren’t the same players as a year ago. (doing things diffrent)
    I love Ryder…and want him to do well, but I expect you are right that he is on his way out of town.
    That line needs a goal scorer…it won’t be S. Kost., it an’t Koivu or Higgins…if Ryder don’t do it, lets hope his replacement will.

I am still holding out hope that Ryder gets it together soon. I would like to keep Ryder in a Habs Jersey.

Go Habs

Oh…and boy…an’t that Kovy, Plecks and Kost line exciting. Lets give credit to the D as well
    Markov and Streit really help with the ability of that entire line to move the puck.
    Hammer and Komie are doing well also. Seems like Striet and Markov’s ability are rubbing off on the boys as well.
    I really like our first two lines of D.

I think our D is the most important part of the game now…we really create offensive from back there. And the combinations of Komie and Markov and Hammer with Streit really work.

I think Streit is here to stay as a Top 4 D…(don’t know y he was getting put fwd)…he rules on the point.

Whoo…very excited about this team…go habs

Oh…I picked Huet in my pool this week also, lets hope for another preformance like he gave Tuesday.

34. coutNY says:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, Love Kovy, but Alfie seems to single-handedly tear us up each time we play OTT… He also leads the league in points and is playing injured at the moment… Alfie leads him in every category at the moment and is even a little bit older than Kovy(two months). I think Kovalev is a shoe-in for comeback player of the year, if he keeps pace with his production this year… not quite Hart trophy material yet! Oveckin might beat out Alfie if he can thrust his team into the Playoff mix, especially if OTT slides in the standings with the injury woes. There is a lot of season left to play and who knows who will emerge in that time…

35. coutNY says:

Long time no post Smiler???

36. gfunkdoc says:

That was incredible. I saw it watching the highlights on canadiens.com… It actually made me laugh out loud to see him do that seemingly without effort. It’s awesome to see a guy that good having fun