Kovalev returns to Bell Centre Tuesday night

kovalevweb

The Canadiens will be back in action Tuesday night when former Hab Alex Kovalev and the Florida Panthers visit the Bell Centre.

The Panthers signed the 39-year-old Kovalev to a one-year contract on Friday and he scored a goal and added two assists Saturday in a season-opening 5-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes. Kovalev’s linemate, 19-year-old Jonathan Huberdeau, also had a goal and two assists. The centre on their line is Peter Mueller, the eighth overall pick at the 2006 NHL entry draft, who picked up an assist.

”You can tell he’s a talented kid,” Kovalev told The Associated Press about Huberdeau, the No. 3 pick at the 2001 NHL draft. “He’s really patient with the puck. He can hold on to it. Pretty strong on his feet and it’s really fun to play with a player of that type. You know if you give it to him, you’ll get the puck back. You’re not worried about helping him out. He’s strong enough to make the plays. That makes the job easier.”

About himself, Kovalev said:  “I can still stickhandle. I can still skate. I can still make plays. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be here. I’d be wasting my time and someone else’s time. I know I can match anybody in this locker room. I can still play this game. That’s why I’m here.”

You can watch Kovalev and the Panthers in action Monday night when they visit the Ottawa Senators at 7:30 p.m. on RSE and RDS before heading to Montreal to face the Habs Tuesday in a 7:30 p.m. start.

Tickets for the 22 Canadiens’ remaining home games after Tuesday went on sale Sunday and a team official told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell they were selling at a similar pace as last year.

Some games are sold out, said Donald Beauchamp, the Canadiens’ senior vice- president, communications and community relations. There were still some tickets available for a number of games, Beauchamp said late Sunday afternoon. For more ticket info, click here.

The question Canadiens fans are asking is how many games will unsigned restricted free agent P.K. Subban play for the Canadiens.

Writes Jack Todd in his Monday Morning Quarterback column:

“Sunday, while his teammates were recovering from a bruising loss to Toronto, Subban was in T.O., taking in the Lakers game from the front row. The Lakers need all the help they can get — but the Canadiens need Subban more.”

Todd adds: “Does it matter that Subban is still unsigned? Well, for you Tomas Kaberle fans (both of you) it was great: Kaberle wasn’t all that bad. For those who hope the Canadiens will make you forget last season’s 15th-place finish with a playoff push, not so much.”

Read Todd’s entire column by clicking here.

Tomas Plekanec took the blame for the Canadiens’ season-opening 2-1 loss to the Maple Leafs Saturday night, saying the loss “is on me.”

Plekanec was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct at 7:14 of the second period when he stopped short of Ben Scrivens and treated the Toronto goaltender to a snow shower.

“I don’t think it even hit him,” Plekanec said. “But it wasn’t a smart thing to do and I’ll know better next time.”

Read more by clicking here.

Read Dave Stubbs’s column on the opening-night loss and the pregame torch ceremony by clicking here.

Meanwhile, the San Jose Sharks are exploring the possibility of signing former Canadien Scott Gomez, who became an unrestricted free agent last week when the final two seasons of his seven-year, $51-million contract were bought out by the Canadiens.

“We look at it that he’s 33, he’s won two cups,” Sharks general manager Doug Wilson told the San Jose Mercury News. “A very versatile player.”

Gomez travelled to Calgary with the Sharks for their season-opening 4-1 win over the Flames on Sunday, but a decision on his future with San Jose might take another few days. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by J Pat Carter/Associated Press)

1,119 Comments

1. twilighthours says:

Eller a healthy scratch, eh?

It’s possible Therrien is just scaring him and will actually insert him come tomorrow. Or it’s possible that he’ll be watching.

It’s also quite possible that Eller just isn’t as good as a lot of us think he is.

2. Mavid says:

Gonna be a long night..Potvin is back..almost as annoying as McGuire…makes me want to stick needles in my eyes..Go Panthers Go…

3. frontenac1 says:

@Zepfan. Thanks amigo that linked worked. He was laughing all through the scrap!I like that guy!

4. Psycho29 says:

The Sens have more trainers than players…

5. Mavid says:

what a difference the Bell Center from these Ottawa fans..man they are lame…barely a loud cheer for Assclown..

All credit to Colton Orr, hung in with big John Scott and ended up delivering the big blow.

7. frontenac1 says:

So we have Weber and our Twin Towers of Truculent Terror,Kaberle and Diaz and we can’t make room for a Veteran Tough D?

• commandant says:

There is a reason Vandermeer was waived and Commodore sent back to the AHL… they’ve lost a step.

Should have gone after Bryan Allen who can play if we wanted tough D

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• kempie says:

I was calling for a few years of Bryan Allen to take some pressure off Tinordi & Beaulieu. It would also ease some of the embarrassment at the same time. But I guess $3.5 x 3 wasn’t worth it.

8. Psycho29 says:

@ yathehabsrule :

What a great site you have http://www.letiretlebut.com/

I remember that Pete Mahovlich goal to beat the Leafs 1-0 with two seconds left in 1972 like it was yesterday!

9. SlovakHab says:

Halak pulled!! :D :D yeah baby

10. Mavid says:

OMG Ottawa announcers are such dorks…

11. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

HIO hows the day off?

12. C-Sword says:

Seriously, did Eller play that badly last saturday to be scratched? I thought he was one of the better players on the ice, he managed to protect the puck unlike some of his teammates. And yes, Plecks deserved that penalty, I would’ve been pissed if someone did that our goalie.

13. ed lopaz says:

I admit it.

I was among the 95% of HIO voters who did NOT vote for Therrien as our next coach.

So let me get this straight. Toronto is still paying Darcy Tucker to not play hockey, but have him help drop puck!

15. Mark C says:

Has it been confirmed that Eller is in the press box tomorrow or this just speculation based on today’s practice lines?

• ed lopaz says:

I don’t think that actually gets confirmed until tomorrow. but he is listed as an “extra” skater.

are you an Eller fan, Mark?

cuz I know you as being a rather clever poster around here, always catching me when I go off on some lunatic rant.

• Mark C says:

I consider myself a big Eller fan. I rate him as an above-average NHL 3rd line center, today. Never mind his potential. For a 23 year old, without elite pedigree; in my book makes for one valuable player. If he is in fact, a healthy scratch –for no good reason that we don’t know about – than this is a highly disappointing development –even for one game.

Only reason I am not getting fired up, is because we’ve all seen this before. A player moved off a line or D paring during a practice only to play in the next game as if nothing happened. We even saw this last year, for the life of me I can’t remember the players involved.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

eller of gallagher, u pick, i think this might be a move by coach to tell eller to start producing or get youre gone.

16. frontenac1 says:

So the Nucks just put veteran D Jim Vanderemere on waivers. He’s listed at 6’1 and 210lbs. Lots of his fights on Youtube but they are screwing up on my mobile. Anybody know this guy? Is he worth a look?

Imagine there’s no Subban
    It’s easy so don’t cry
    Meehan won’t screw us
    He shouldn’t even try
    Imagine all the draft picks letting slip away

Imagine empty pantries
    It isn’t hard to do
    No wingers skilled to die for
    And no real itchin’ too
    Imagine all the draft picks developing with ease

You may say that
    All pros are schemers, lookin’ out for number one
    We hope some day they’ll join us
    and unfurl a nice deep play-off run

Imagine team progressions
    With or without Subban
    No need for greed to linger
    A brotherhood of Habs
    Imagine all the draft picks skating in a whirl

You may say that
    All pros are schemers, lookin’ out for number one
    We hope some day they’ll join us
    and unfurl a nice deep play-off run

18. Habilis says:

Just noticed the tweets addition to the site, good stuff HI/O.

19. Ron says:

Long layoff since last season, players are pressed into short camps and no exhibition games. Injuries are happening. Last victim is LA Def. Matt Greene, back injury, gone for season.

20. Hali_Hab says:

I love reading all the over reactions after ONE game. Hahaha.

• ed lopaz says:

the biggest over reaction is coming from the coach.

let Eller play center for 20 games and let’s see what he can do.

the young man can flat out play.

• Hali_Hab says:

Yeah. I agree with you Ed. For some reason he can’t seem to crack the top six. What concerns me is that he has not been able to do that with multiple coach’s. So it kind of makes me question if maybe he just doesn’t have it. When you look at it as maybe being a bad trade by PG then it even becomes more possible that Eller can’t take it up a notch. I hope not but who knows. Beside that I don’t really find MT scratching him. I mean its either a boot in the pants from the coach to try and motivate the player or its making room in the line up to get a look at some of the younger players before they go back to Hamilton. I feel the second option here is the most likely. As rough as Therrien can be sometimes I doubt Eller is in his dog house after one game. I think people are reading to much in to it.

• Hali_Hab says:

Yeah. I agree with you Ed. For some reason he can’t seem to crack the top six. What concerns me is that he has not been able to do that with multiple coach’s. So it kind of makes me question if maybe he just doesn’t have it. When you look at it as maybe being a bad trade by PG then it even becomes more possible that Eller can’t take it up a notch. I hope not but who knows. Beside that I don’t really find MT scratching him that big a deal. I mean its either a boot in the pants from the coach to try and motivate the player or its making room in the line up to get a look at some of the younger players before they go back to Hamilton. I feel the second option here is the most likely. As rough as Therrien can be sometimes I doubt Eller is in his dog house after one game. I think people are reading to much in to it.

• Hali_Hab says:

I guess that I should have said that I agree with your point to play Eller for 20 games. Hah. I don’t think he’s being benched for poor play. If I had any complaint about Eller is that he plays a “soffff” game.

• New says:

Yeah, that doesn’t make much sense. I thought he played very well, even on the penalty kill, and generated some chances. Looked pretty good out there. Must have not done something Therrien wanted him to do I guess.

21. Habtastic says:

We’re one game into a season in which our skakey D was, well, that. Where the offense just wasn’t there, playing a new system with players who have not had anything close to NHL competition, in which we had the typical penalty garbage vs. the leafs and in which PK wasn’t there (it’s not more MB’s fault than it is PK’s…we don’t have all the info anyway). Yet people are complaining about MB? Please. You will eat so much crow. I am still not over that abomination, but it wasn’t too much of a shock. Judge Bergevin on what he does to improve this team going forward, not by what he has had little control over. Early early days. Look around the league and tell me there haven’t been some head scratching scores. Just hope they iron things out (PK included) before it’s too late.

————–
    The Drive for 25

22. Saintpatrick33 says:

I feel bad for Eller he isn’t going to develop properly here playing 3rd line minutes and now he’s scratched for the next game.

• Habtastic says:

I’m a huge Eller fan, but I’m not too worried. He hasn’t done anything to deserve diminished ice time and everyone knows it. Aside from giving the rookies their day, Eller will be used properly. I’m only going to assess things after the first 5-6 games (re: Therrien’s management of the team). If DD doesn’t pick it up fast, I can assure you Therrien WILL swap him cuz more than bending over to the media, I think he wants this team to win and it’s pretty obvious that Eller is a major weapon. I share the idea behind your concern, but I think it’ll be fine. Eller’s character will propel him.

————–
      The Drive for 25

23. Found and interview with Pete Mahovlich

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

24. Haborama says:

last comment on last page so i’ll re-post

with MB it’s “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”, when we pick 1st overall I wouldn’t be surprised if he bypasses Jones and McKinnon and picks that itsy-bitsy little puney midget tyke gnome Drouin, my God! what a terrible decision that would be…….

• christophor says:

I know, right? I mean, doesn’t Bergie know that the point of hockey is to land the most punches?

• Haborama says:

LOL, the guy is 5,9 AT THE VERY MOST and we have way too many of those types of players.

I’m much more exited by Barkov or Monnahan.

• christophor says:

Point is, the first thing you think of Drouin should not be his height. That just goes to show that you either misunderstand what the point of hockey is or only care for hits and fights, regardless of winning.

If there’s an equally talented or more talented guy who’s also bigger, then of course draft him.

If there isn’t, then draft the raw talent and surround him with what he needs. Size-fetish thinking lead WSH to pick Tom Wilson over Teuvo Teravainen. Funny thing is that you probably agree with that choice and maybe would’ve taken Wilson even earlier.

• ed lopaz says:

Drouin is the same size and weight as Claude Giroux. I assume you know Claude Giroux, right?

25. alfieturcotte says:

This is what happens when you don’t hire the best candidates for the job…..Our team could have been improved, but our rookie GM seems to have misdiagnosed what the team required — Offense.

Our 2nd term coach meanwhile seems to be searching for a scapegoat after only 1 game — Eller. Easy target – non franco, traded for popular Halak…..

Our franchise team is entering another dark period a la Houle/Trembay. I only hope the leash will be short for both.

26. SlovakHab says:

Karlsson to Chicago.

27. Haborama says:

one thing that stood out to me on Saturday night was how aggressive Markov was in clearing the crease, for a guy who is not known to be physical, he sure dished out the stick a few times…….

28. Danno says:

After a game like that it’s easy to get carried away.

They’re not as good as we hoped.

But they’re not as bad as we think.

Are they?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

29. Haborama says:

with MB it’s “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”, when we pick 1st overall I wouldn’t be surprised if he bypasses Jones and McKinnon and picks that itsy-bitsy little tyke Drouin, my God! what a terrible decision that would be…….

• Steeltown Hab says:

Can’t stand the insane hype on Drouin. Didn’t look that all world to me at the WJC. If MTL picks in that range and leaves a guy like Barkov on the board for Droiun that’ll be a disappointment.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Hali_Hab says:

Living in Halifax And having seen him play A LOT! He is that good. Keep in mind he is 17. I think it would be wrong to write some one off because you seen him play a hand full games on tv. Man people forget that he is a kid. Also I don’t get where your opinion on barkov comes from? Do you spend a lot of time in Finland? Probably about the same amount of time you spend in Halifax. So i don’t know how you form your opinion other than reading stats or taking on the opnions of others colums you read. More or less your game is weak.

• HabsFanMTL says:

yeah but do we need another smurf in the lineup. I mean DD is a real smurf sure he put up numbers last year but in the first game he was pushed off the puck all over the place. We have enuf small players on this team ffs

• olematelot says:

There’s lots of big players in the Q and they don’t seem to be able to push Drouin off the puck. You read it here, this guy is going to be a big star in NHL. His hands and hockey sense are off the charts.

RDS reports that my man Gomer will sign with Sharks in a matter of hours.

Hats off, Scotty, hats off.

31. Haborama says:

Trade Weber for a 7th rounder and then pick up Jim Vandemeer on waivers, he can toughen up this morbidly soft team and add size.

32. Mike D says:

I was at work all day and may have missed it, but where did this whole ‘Eller is a healthy scratch tomorrow’ thing come from?

Is it a fact or just a rumor at this point?

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

33. Bripro says:

The Flames have apparently traded Henrik Karlsson to Chicago for a 7th rounder.

34. HabFab says:

Seems we have a new blog site dedicated to the History of the Habs!
    Looks pretty good in my quick look see.

35. aroma says:

Mark my words, Habs are going to really blow it with Eller. Appears Therrien is not impressed and Eller is slated to sit out tomorrow’s game. A harbinger of things to come, namely trading him off for nothing and watching him flourish on another team. It will be the latest in a series of horrendous trades that we’ve been enduring for the last three decades. The only way to correctly evaluate Eller is to give him some wingers with talent. He hasn’t yet had that since he’s been with the Habs. It’s time to move Plekanec for whom they could get a great deal in return.

• Steeltown Hab says:

It’s just really sad/pathetic the way he’s been kicked to the curb since day 1. If his last name was Desharnais he’d be on the first line.

Not to hate on DD, proud of what he’s accomplished but he hasn’t had to earn his stripes with MTL the way they’ve dragged Eller through the mud. 16 goals playing with Blunden and Darche (most common linemates look it up) is remarkable in my mind.

Ps. who didn’t look bad against the laughs, Gorges, Moen, DD, Plek, all looked real weak to me.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• habstrinifan says:

Not sure I agree with you re DD not having earned his stripe. Eller would be a bad fit with Cole and Pacs. But I do agree with you that re misuse of Eller.

36. Chrisadiens says:

We might as well trade Eller if he’s going to be treated this way. Poor kid always gets screwed. I thought he looked really good Saturday. Did I miss something? I hate Therrien already. It took one game, one friggin game for his inner JM to come out.

/end-rant

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Loonie says:

If a benching from Saturday’s results is in order Eller should be followed closely by Gorges and Moen. Both were pretty bad.

I wouldn’t change the lineup at all. Very positive results in the third period.

• aroma says:

you beat me to a similar observation. I don’t think Eller played well, but who did really? Not the kind of player who should be rotated out of the lineup. White, yes. Later on, Armstrong, likely. Eller should be nurtured and allowed to continue his development. Giving him wingers with concrete hands are not the way to do it.

• Loonie says:

Emelin, Diaz and Bourque had very good games.

Bouillon was very good after an abysmal first period. Plekanec had a good game too though the scoresheet doesn’t show it.

• aroma says:

I enjoyed some of Emelin’s big hits and it was one of the few signs of life on the team. I think Bourque had an assist… for him I guess that constitutes a good game. But he’s a guy who must play big (because he is big) and return to the form when he scored 27 goals. Personally, I think he’s a head case who does not have much of a career ahead of him. How’s Cammalleri doing?

• Cal says:

Nurtured? He ain’t playing for his mom. Eller’s time is now. He has to rise to the occasion.

• Loonie says:

He had a bad game, no question. But he also needs the right opportunity Cal.

He can’t have revolving doors on his wings if he’s going to find anything resembling consistency. He’s been semi-fairly criticized for trying to do too much himself. But if he doesn’t have an idea of where his wingers are going to be he can’t anticipate where to lead them with a pass.

The scratch might work, but this is more of the same in terms of different players struggling and how they’re treated if in fact he’s scratched.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I was done with Therrien this offseason when he mentioned he wouldn’t split up the first line and wanted to try Eller on the wing. Give DD any other 2 linemates and see how well he really does, it’s the guys contract yr time to see his real worth. He’ll prob have an extension before Subban the way this is going.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

C’mon, Chris. He was invisible and ineffective. This is the MT boot in the ass. Some players need that “attaboy” schtick while some just need the stick. Often.
      This could spark Eller to better things.
      I noticed how MT spoke well of Bourque today, that he responded to what the coaches were telling him. I just think MT is seeing what pushes Eller’s buttons to get him to raise the bar in his play.

• Chrisadiens says:

Fair enough Cal. Maybe I just have a soft spot for the kid. I honestly thought he played pretty well, but obviously the rum affected my judgement. :)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

37. Tis Himself says:

The massive gelling begins tomorrow night!

38. Steven says:

Some thoughts on the game 2 nights ago… (Thanks for the idea, Loonie)

1) Desharnais looked brutal on the faceoffs. I don’t know what his record ended up being but he didn’t ever seem to win one when they were in the O-zone(especially on the powerplay)

2) Cole absolutely mailed it in. He looked asleep all game, and it was glaringly obvious when he would pass it to DD when he was in a vulnerable spot. Awful game for him, but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt because he’s a pretty slow starter.

3) Price looked a little shaky to start but he really stepped it up. Both goals weren’t his fault(well, the Bozak one was a bit iffy but he couldn’t do anything on the Kadri one. Pure misfortune). If he can keep his play at around this level for the first 10 or so games, we’ll be better than we were last year, for sure.

4) Galchenyuk, despite his little ice time, looked solid out there. He didn’t seem to defer to his linemates often, but he had speed to burn and looked dangerous enough. He’ll only get better as he gets more comfortable around his linemates.

5) Gionta and Markov didn’t miss a step. Though not exactly what he was, Markov looked pretty composed out there, and Gionta got a goal, so I’m not sure more needs be said on that.

6) The offense looked like it just didn’t click. The most consistent line out there was probably Prust – White – Armstrong, and although that’s a huge improvement over last year’s Spare Parts 4th line, our top lines looked weak. I’d wait till at least game 5 before shaking things up, but the Two and a Half Men line might need to be broken up, especially if they play like they did.

• Bripro says:

1) 57%
      2) Can’t disagree. He was certainly rusty, like most
      3) Agreed. But he needs better D support
      4) He played over 13 minutes. Not bad for a first game
      5) 100%
      6) I also think Prust was the best Hab on the ice. But it’s one game. I suggest a little patience.

39. Hobie Hansen says:

After watching Buffalo play the Flyers yesterday, they should absolutely destroy the Leafs tonight.

That Sabres team is going to be a force to reckon with and it wouldn’t surprise me if they finished first in the East.

40. commandant says:

It would appear that Joonas Nattinen has been lost for the year for the Dogs. After missing the last few weeks, we’re finally getting some confirmation on his injury. He’s had shoulder surgery and is done.

Unfortunate because in this year of learning for the dogs youngsters (and today was another loss), Nattinen was one of the darkhorse kids I hoped would learn a lot (along with guys like Qualier, and Pateryn).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

41. CharlieHodgeFan says:

If the lockout had gone a little longer, we could have called last game and the two to come “Spring Training”.

42. HabsFanMTL says:

i don’t know why eller is on the outside looking in. I can definately see a third line of Galy Eller Gallagher. Better to try that line combo than sit Eller out. Is MT already sitting unproductive guys after 1 game??? geesh

43. Bill says:

Prust, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher was the third line at practice today. That’s an odd line, haha.

And Bourque is back on the second line, as Therrien channels Cumneyworth.

Eller likely to be scratched, though he did nothing Saturday night, so it’s hard to complain. Basically he sits in place of Gallagher. That’s fine by me.

This team would look a lot better with its MVP in the lineup. Come on Bergevin.

44. The_Franchise31 says:

Minority*

45. The_Franchise31 says:

Ya the problem is I am the majority. How can you cheer for a guy that let them go out a play the season/home opener after a long lock out with him…

46. frontenac1 says:

On Tap tonight, Sabers/Leafs, Blues/Preds, Cats/Sens.
    -15c outside, Beer is chillin”, No Habs but what the hell.
    Enjoy the Games Amigos!

47. GuyDoon says:

I just re-added my gravatar. I’m just testing to see if it worked!
    not….

48. Loonie says:

I’m working on some advanced stats for the Habs this season….gonna see where it takes me but some plans for something more public are in the works.

Just thought I’d share some of the information from the game Saturday night after three thorough reviews of the game.

1. Alexei Emelin was undoubtedly the best player the Habs had. He created or prevented six scoring opportunities in the game and was not the cause of a single scoring chance for the Leafs in the entire game.

2. Tomas Plekanec was an absolute beast in the faceoff circle. Of the 12 clean faceoff results with him taking the draw he won 10 and twice tied up, released and outworked a second man to be the first guy to gain possession of the puck.

3. Rafael Diaz may have been the team’s best offensive weapon. Of the five shots he took on net all of them were excellent quality with a screen in place(his one timer setup the Gionta goal) and of the 24 forward passes he made in the game all but one were on the money.

4. Rene Bourque was the only Habs player who didn’t have a negative impact play during the entire game and he created four scoring opportunities.

5. Alex Galchenyuk tied for the team lead in takeaways with three.

• habstrinifan says:

Good work!

• HabFab says:

Only if presented in English so we can understand otherwise…. Oh no, say it ain’t so!!!!!!!!!

• Loonie says:

The stats when presented to the public will be described in a way that the novice fan can understand. No fenwick/corsi crap.

These will be individual and team metrics that detail a player’s impact on the game with what I and a few others believe are improvements on existing stats and the creation of some new ones.

• HabFab says:

Cripes, that sounded like a sales call “shudder”

• And no condescending responses to those who question or don’t understand your methods?

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

• Loonie says:

Should I respond condescendingly to your condescending question?

• Loonie says:

To answer your question when the site’s functional there will be a detailed description of each statistic and how each one is tracked. There will also be a description of the evaluation process.

That okay?

• No not being condescending, friend. Just all familiar with a site where the authors/regulars tend to be that way.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

• Yukon B says:

I was on another CH website a few days ago and one of the guys there was trying to use stats to convince me PK is on par with Shea Weber and that he should be paid as much as Erik Karlsson. I thought it was a cute attempt to be funny until I realized he was serious. After a moment of shock which was followed by some laughter I remembered that stats (although quite useful) can be designed, filtered, sorted and manipulated to show just about anything, and that stats are only as good as the collector. Ultimately there has got to be a flaw in a system when things point to Subban being on par with Weber. Was it Corsi-Fenwick… don’t know as I didn’t stick around long enough to have my intelligence rotted.

• Loonie says:

Sure stats can be manipulated. My goal is to provide some that are upgrades on the flaws that exist in the current system and detail a player’s impact beyond point totals. I think I’ve found a way to do it but time will tell.

• Yukon B says:

Responding to your last post. I sincerely hope you find a way to make statistics work. I reiterate that when stats show PK as an equal to Shea Weber, there must be something wrong with the system. Whether the problem lies in the collection of the data or its interpretation (or personal biases by the interpreter) you will make hay if you find the flaws. I filter and analyze data for a living and I always throw a known entity into the pile to see whether my filtering and analysis was indeed accurate.

• Loonie says:

My statistics won’t be presented in a way that paints one player as better or equal to another. It will provide measurable data and allow the reader to draw their own conclusions.

The only subjective end of the site will be posts about players trending upward or downward based on some of the stats.

• Yukon B says:

Good luck with your pursuit, I hope you are successful and manage to bring some reality into the equation. Once you have a workable system in place please share it with the lovely folks that run Habs Eyes on the Prize; they could use a wee bit of help in that department.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Looking forward to it!

• Timo says:

I think you are looking for a site called http://www.hockeydrinkpinkkoolaid.com :)

49. The_Franchise31 says:

I hope we never see P.K in a Habs jersey again. Clearly he does not care about this team, why reward him with a long term expensive contract?!?! Maybe we could trade P.K for a center and trade plek for a defence men….

50. habstrinifan says:

▐▐▐ Life is good

51. Castor says:

Once again I come here in hope of reading rational thoughtful comments. Why I do this I do not know. Inevitably everyone is calling the team a failure after a game where both teams played pretty badly and one team got a goal scored on them on a penalty…the dumbest penalty I’ve seen in years.

The team is rusty for goodness sake. Nothing was clicking. I saw one tape to tape pass connect.

• habs-fan-84 says:

THIS.

We lost the game by ONE friggin’ goal!!

• Danno says:

We had a questionable disallowed goal (Armstrong?) which was called by refs for Ryan White supposed goalie interference. The Leafs crashed Price all night with no goalie interference call. Then Plecks got sent to the box for a very subjective call for snowing Scrivens. That resulted in Toronto’s second goal.

The refs are very skilled at what they do.

True professionals.

I salute them.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Castor – you are 100% correct.

New coach, new system, first game of the season.

There is basically no assumptions you can make from that game. That’s why this is the first I’ve commented on it.

• jedimyrmidon says:

No, but you see, people here just know. :D

Leafs fans have also announced that Nazem Kadri is now a really good NHL player after 1 game against the Habs of all teams.

52. habstrinifan says:

I spent ALL day reading the board; posting crap; checking twitter for Subban’s news; following the Bruins (yes the Bruins); loafing around waiting for the Ottawa game.

I am giving my agent full authority to declare on my behalf that I disclaim my previous disclaimer of interest in hockey.

53. frontenac1 says:

@puckbard. We have good passers?

54. Tis Himself says:

Can you imagine what Kovy is gonna do to Gorges tomorrow night? Freakin’ torture on ice!

55. mark-ID says:

wow, I forgot how negative this place gets after 1 whole big loss…….

I miss the lockout crew. When we still had a chance to go undefeated. Those were some peaceful times. Ah yeaa.

56. HabsFanMTL says:

looks like there is realignment after all, at least from what i saw in tsn’s website in standings

57. lavie says:

Bring back power-play specialist Kovalev, then again we’ll be No. 1 Eastern Conference. ;)

58. Puck Bard says:

Looking at a breakdown of the Habs roster… wow the Canadiens appear to have gotten more Canadian:

47% from Canada, 31% European, 22% American.

But when you look at the defense, still a European outfit: 56%.

Now tell me what that means, cause I don’t know:

59. Tis Himself says:

Are we going to get torched again?

60. HabFab says:

Bulldogs lose team record tying 10th straight road game 6-3 to Rochester today.

61. SlovakHab says:

I read on EOTP that Eller was practicing as a spare forward with Blunden.
    Galchenyuk was practicing between Prust and Gallagher.
    Anyone can confirm that?

62. Sportfan says:

Are you guys this surprised that PK hasn’t signed yet or was this expected? I am just really curious, I mean are the players saying anything to him like “HURRY THE F UP AND SIGN?” haha

63. SlovakHab says:

Good news that we are just 4 points behind the Bruins now!! If we beat Florida, we are just 2 points back, with 46 games to go.

64. Sportfan says:

So whats the word today about the habs seeing as there’s the same post from yesterday?

65. jon514 says:

When PK finally signs, do you think Bergevin will offer him a Triple Low-Five?

66. Chrisadiens says:

Testing

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

67. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh, what are the Bruins doing playing in the afternoon?
    Is there some holiday in the States?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. Harditya says:

Habs cannot afford to lose tomorrow’s game. Must-win.

69. tippytoes says:

the dislike of Subban by his teammates is a fact that is well documented.

70. Danno says:

Any news on PK?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

71. Galchenyuk says:

New to this site, although I’ve been reading your comments for quite a long time lol. Got the rare name Galchenyuk :D. Speaking about Galchenyuk, why did Therrien demote him to the third line so easily? The kid deserves to have a coach that has confidence in him, especially since he played very good for his first game. He is the only player who got two actual shots on net..

Go Habs Go! No matter what…

• Bripro says:

Welcome aboard!
      So do we call you Glachenyuk, or Gally, or Golly Gee… or chucky?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I got the sense he wasn’t demoted. He was moved to try something out. The first three games of this ‘season’ are training camp exercises. I don’t think there are any issues of confidence or not in a line move in the first game the team has played as a unit.

72. frontenac1 says:

Shoot out in Beantown coming up