Kovalev returns to Bell Centre Tuesday night

kovalevweb

The Canadiens will be back in action Tuesday night when former Hab Alex Kovalev and the Florida Panthers visit the Bell Centre.

The Panthers signed the 39-year-old Kovalev to a one-year contract on Friday and he scored a goal and added two assists Saturday in a season-opening 5-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes. Kovalev’s linemate, 19-year-old Jonathan Huberdeau, also had a goal and two assists. The centre on their line is Peter Mueller, the eighth overall pick at the 2006 NHL entry draft, who picked up an assist.

”You can tell he’s a talented kid,” Kovalev told The Associated Press about Huberdeau, the No. 3 pick at the 2001 NHL draft. “He’s really patient with the puck. He can hold on to it. Pretty strong on his feet and it’s really fun to play with a player of that type. You know if you give it to him, you’ll get the puck back. You’re not worried about helping him out. He’s strong enough to make the plays. That makes the job easier.”

About himself, Kovalev said:  “I can still stickhandle. I can still skate. I can still make plays. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be here. I’d be wasting my time and someone else’s time. I know I can match anybody in this locker room. I can still play this game. That’s why I’m here.”

You can watch Kovalev and the Panthers in action Monday night when they visit the Ottawa Senators at 7:30 p.m. on RSE and RDS before heading to Montreal to face the Habs Tuesday in a 7:30 p.m. start.

Tickets for the 22 Canadiens’ remaining home games after Tuesday went on sale Sunday and a team official told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell they were selling at a similar pace as last year.

Some games are sold out, said Donald Beauchamp, the Canadiens’ senior vice- president, communications and community relations. There were still some tickets available for a number of games, Beauchamp said late Sunday afternoon. For more ticket info, click here.

The question Canadiens fans are asking is how many games will unsigned restricted free agent P.K. Subban play for the Canadiens.

Writes Jack Todd in his Monday Morning Quarterback column:

“Sunday, while his teammates were recovering from a bruising loss to Toronto, Subban was in T.O., taking in the Lakers game from the front row. The Lakers need all the help they can get — but the Canadiens need Subban more.”

Todd adds: “Does it matter that Subban is still unsigned? Well, for you Tomas Kaberle fans (both of you) it was great: Kaberle wasn’t all that bad. For those who hope the Canadiens will make you forget last season’s 15th-place finish with a playoff push, not so much.”

Read Todd’s entire column by clicking here.

Tomas Plekanec took the blame for the Canadiens’ season-opening 2-1 loss to the Maple Leafs Saturday night, saying the loss “is on me.”

Plekanec was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct at 7:14 of the second period when he stopped short of Ben Scrivens and treated the Toronto goaltender to a snow shower.

“I don’t think it even hit him,” Plekanec said. “But it wasn’t a smart thing to do and I’ll know better next time.”

Read more by clicking here.

Read Dave Stubbs’s column on the opening-night loss and the pregame torch ceremony by clicking here.

Meanwhile, the San Jose Sharks are exploring the possibility of signing former Canadien Scott Gomez, who became an unrestricted free agent last week when the final two seasons of his seven-year, $51-million contract were bought out by the Canadiens.

“We look at it that he’s 33, he’s won two cups,” Sharks general manager Doug Wilson told the San Jose Mercury News. “A very versatile player.”

Gomez travelled to Calgary with the Sharks for their season-opening 4-1 win over the Flames on Sunday, but a decision on his future with San Jose might take another few days. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by J Pat Carter/Associated Press)

1,119 Comments

A heads up to my fellow Habs fans in the Oakville/Burlington region who have Cogeco Cable as their provider. Finally they are providing RDS and TVA Sports in HD, this was quite a frustration for me the last few seasons which led to a number of calls from me to them.

I am anticipating this improved image should make our defence look much bigger, faster etc… :)

• Kooch7800 says:

you may want to wait till next season for the HD. That was a tough game to watch on Saturday.

The sad part is the part of the game that really peeved me off was pleks snow showering the goalie and getting a penalty. Then looking at him trying to plead his case for his stupidity. He has a tendency to take really bad penalties.

As a leader on the team he should be setting a better example. He knows better

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Strummer says:

I haven’t had RDS activated yet- I know its only $6.95 a month but Rogers has Centre Ice free until Jan. 31 so i wait until then.
      The only problem with Centre Ice is you get the opponents announcers who are notorious homers.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I also find most of the center ice games (at least on Cogeco) are shown in reg. definition not Hi-Def. But it is nice to be able to channel surf throughout multiple games. They really should have made it free all year I think.

• Loonie says:

Do you check the channels that don’t have a game listed? By that I mean the live listings on any of the SSP channels?

There were four games on last night that weren’t listed in the guide.

• Strummer says:

I know others that have Cogeco and they don’t a wide a range as Rogers.
          VCR/EDM had the Sportsnet West feed.
          Also saw parts of Stars/Wild and Hawks/’Yotes
          ______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• wjc says:

Just hate homers eh, look in the mirror lately.

• Strummer says:

I’m not a broadcaster- fans are supposed to be biased!

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Curtis O Habs says:

Thanks, I had no idea. It has been a fuzzy several years watching 522.

2. jon514 says:

Hey Guys,

RE: Cole. I would like to remind everyone that Cole has a history of starting very slow, both in MTL and in Carolina. He normally takes about 6-7 games to get going, but once he does, watch out.

Cheers,

Jon

Indeed he does, funny how some players have this tendency. The good thing with Cole, is as you say once he gets those legs going he becomes a beast on the ice.

CHeers Jon.

• Loonie says:

Often it’s a result of the player trying to hard to get the first goal out of the way. Galchenyuk was a bit of a victim of this on Saturday. He took two shots that I believe were “bad shots” when he could have maintained possession of the puck longer and waited for a passing option or tried to continue driving wide to get himself closer to a scoring position.

3. Old Bald Bird says:

There’s a new article on EOTP analyzing the value of Subban. There are stats which I skip to get the gist. One interesting point for me was that despite the fact that he takes a lot of penalties, he is very adept at drawing the other team into penalties. Interesting. This is the link to the site. It’s the top article right now.

4. Marcusman says:

Given that we all realize there is a tax difference for playing in Quebec, most stars will get the $1 million tax bump.

WE’ve all watched PK since the spring of 2010…he’s always been our best defense man.

is he not worth $4 + 1 (tax) million a year?

5 million x 7 years should be the middle

Get him signed….only 47 more games left.

• The Cat says:

I think the habs should get it over with and sign him, I cant see MB starting out his tenure by letting PK slip out, MB will never recover from it. I mean there are no hard questions about PK, its not like “Does he still have a few good years left?, Will he gel with the team?”

• Marcusman says:

Exactly….what’s the hold up. he can move the puck, play d, shoot…hit and he gets under the other teams skin.

Give him his money let’s get to work.

• Mustang says:

No one knows what the asking price is so you can’t just pay him whatever his agent is presently demanding. The GM must consider what P.K. is worth and how his salary will fit into the overall budget, especially with the new lower cap next season.

I would love to see P.K. signed, but not at any price.

• Cal says:

We have no idea what he and his agent think he should get. MB has his idea of what PK is worth. Like during the lockout, all we can do is wait.

• The Cat says:

Hes tough and not injury prone.

5. BJ says:

Give it 10 games and see where we are then. Its one game only. I’m not expecting the sky but better than what we showed on Saturday.

6. Bripro says:

Thanks Jim for your words of concern. I’m more worried for my Mack. With no Internet and an engineering report due today, I think it’s gonna be a long day. Hockey hangover. I think I’ll go back to bed.

Kovalev!!!
    He has been milking the NHL for years folks.
    He is one of the most talented players that has ever played the game. And he is one of the smartest career farmers to continue milking NHL owners and separating them from their money as he mails in the rest of each signed contract.
    His heart he leaves in Russia, his plane and his properties, and does just enough to keep his team mates from knocking his head off.
    He does a great job of media control and says all the right things to keep fans from booing him right out of the rink.

One year at a time contracts and move on to the next sucker club will go on for a few more years yet.

• Habfan10912 says:

As a huge fan if his talent, he is one if the most frustrating players of recent time.

———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

In kovy’s defense I think he gets a bad rap. As a hab he played 4 seasons…. two at 65 points, one at 85 points and one year at 47….and everyone dogs him. As and example do you look at Gionta and say and question him for doggin it when his numbers are nowhere as good in his career? Even Kovy’s bad year in Ottawa had similar numbers to Gionta that year and they were making the same cash

He has a stanely cup ring, 7 seasons with over 20 goals, 8 seasons with over 60 points. Yes, he is inconsistent there is no doubt and he has insane skill that probably could have produced more but really that isn’t a bad NHL career. I think he will help out in Florida this season. The habs could have used him this year on the PP. It hasn’t been anywhere near what it was since he left

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

His talent level says his numbers should have been way better. Kovalev, like him or not, wasn’t interested more nights than not.
        He could have been a top ten all time. Instead, he’s done what he’s done.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree he maybe could have done more Cal but my point is about perception. Gionta has 60 points in 93 playoff games Kovy has 100 points in 123. But Kovy is a slacker and lazy. I think he gets a worse rap than he played that is all. He def could have done more in certain games with his skill

I am not picking on gionta either he was just Kovy’s replacement that is why I chose to pick him as an example.

Our PP has not been the same since he left. Some was Markov obviously but Kovy’s shot from the circle was insane.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• wjc says:

My take on Kovalev is on a poor team, he is checked into the ground making him look bad.

He will try to break the heavy attention by trying the low percentage play, like beating two players etc.

When it works and he gets clear, he can score a spectacular goal and be loved. When it fails he looks like he is trying to do it all himself. When he passes and the lesser talented player flubs it up, he takes the heat because he is the ‘name player’.

So you try to ride it out and look ordinary sometimes with a dash of spectacular. The fans then accuse you of not caring or trying and eventually you give them what they will accuse you of.

By the way he takes the heat quite well, with a shrug of indifference, some fans could learn something from him.

• Kooch7800 says:

further note…playoff stats…123 games played, and 45 goals and 55 assists for 100 points….that is really not too shabby

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• The Cat says:

Thats the thing about contracts, Kovalev isnt putting a gun to anyone’s head to sign him.

8. Bripro says:

You know Burly, I would have done exactly that, except my wife just took out a sixth mortgage for my new flatscreen, so I beat up on our basement wall. ;)

9. Bripro says:

As for sports this weekend, it was mass suckitude! I’m not announcing anything regarding the Habs loss to the Laffs. Had the team played all three periods instead of just the third, they might have had a chance. I was thinking of poor burly in hostile territory. Probably nor humiliated than the rest of us. Speaking of which, Tom Brady was a shadow of himself in the second half yesterday as my Pats took a lesson in humility. Go Niners!

10. Bripro says:

Good morning all. So this Monday morning starts as the weekend went. No Internet. So 3G it is for now. This way, if someone posts a nasty reply to mine, I can’t take it personally because there’s no phone app for HIO.
    But I regress.
    I would assume it was mentioned yesterday, but one of the classiest and professional sports journalists, Richard Garneau died yesterday. I was introduced to him in the late 70s by Dave Boxer, and you could almost see an aura of zen around him. My blessings to his family.

On this Monday morning after our season/home opener, I feel this is the most adequate way to present my feelings.

12. RetroMikey says:

Like I have said many times on this site the past couple of years, do NOT get excited to where this team we assembled.
    We still lack offense, a weak D, and need more bigger bodies and players with grit.
    If I were Bergevin, make that blockbuster trade early to pay dividends in a couple of years, trade a Markov, Plekanec, Kaberle, Weber, Cole, and even Gionta and lets get something in return.
    We all know this year will be another season of heartaches for the team and for the fans.
    Optimistic is not a word to be used here.
    But hey, welcome home Kovy!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• CanadienBoy says:

trade Cole ? ours best free agent signing that helping Pac to become a power forward after one game way to go

• RetroMikey says:

Pac became a power forward with his hard work and determination on and off the ice without Cole.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Keep your ‘we’ I do not share your pessimism. One game in and you want a block buster trade. Only in Montreal.

Let this team play ten games before you bring out the ‘crying towels’.
      It is but to laugh.

• RetroMikey says:

No crying towel here, as Jack Webb used to say on his old retro tv show Dragnet……”just the facts”

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Hey, buster, that was ‘Joe Friday’. The facts are it is the first game, still time to catch up. Losing happened to half the teams that played the first game. The key is to get better, no reason to think they won’t.

If they don’t get better “what are ya goin do”. Choices are stop watching, hope for the best, laugh, get drunk/stoned, kick the dog, break the television, get arrested/committed, eat your troubles away, go on a hockey sight (where they understand your agony), pay for sex/take it for free, see a shrink, talk to your paster/rev etc.,leave your wife/watch her leave, set yourself on fire, destroy something, lick a toad, or ……………just realize you have no say/control and the 50′s, 60′s,70′s are gone forever and bask in the past.

13. habstrinifan says:

Serious question?

I know is only one game but is it possible that Kovalev is really one of those players who is abnormally affected by the organization/coach’s style philosophy. He really does seem ‘happier’!

He has never scared me as now… will he haunt us for the entire season.

• Cal says:

Kovalev played 1 decent game. Tonight, he plays Ottawa and tomorrow, he’s here. He will be invisible by the 3rd period tonight and will mail it in tomorrow night, seeing as he is such a good mentor. ;)

• RetroMikey says:

As will Plekanec, Gionta and others on our team who are supposed to put in offensive numbers, they will be invisible.
        Funny how players produce big numbers, but after signing big, fat contracts, they decline in their offensive stat numbers.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Retro…..repeat after me….one game, one game, one game.

Started Monday played Saturday.

One game, holy moly…..where’s Gomez when you need a ‘scape goat’….trade this, bench that,…..one game in.

Half the league have lost a game already.

• RetroMikey says:

One game leads to the second game which leads to the third game…etc…
            Yes, the season has just started but we know what we need to improve this team and not start from the getgo being hopeful and optimistic as we have always done in the past.
            Get er done Bergevin, make some splash trades now.
            Don’t be another Bobby clone in Montreal and stay conservative.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Serious answer, hope he is happy, he is a mult-millionaire after all.

They say, “money does not buy happiness”, I beg to differ.

It allows you freedom to sit around in your p.ja’s and bang away on your key board all morning if you want.

Happiness is a state of mind, and a full wallet, never forget that while you struggle with the hardships of watching hockey on your 60 inch screen with a nice cold one, and a honey waiting for the period to end so you can….get it on.

Happy motoring, glad to pass little wisdoms on to the uninformed.

14. habstrinifan says:

Are we really like Tiger Woods? We sold our soul to the Devil for ALL those glorious glorious years and now he’s collecting his pund of flesh.

I used to laugh at my friends in Toronto during Ballard etc etc… I remember how unfortunate they seemed.

• wjc says:

Habstrinifan, you have to realize that the 50′s, 60′s, 70′s are gone forever. The system does not allow a team to rise to the top and stay there. When your talent matures, if you get top draft choices, you lose them to the dollar.

As you rise up, the high draft choices disappear, until you fall and start the whole process again. The window closes quickly to win.

I predict the Canadiens will win the ‘Stanley Cup’ once in the next 20 years and finish in the finals once also. This will be the norm for all teams, with some not winning a cup at all.

If every team wins once, that is 30 teams, winning once in 30 years. All the cheering in the world will not change that reality.

Keep it real folks, you will be happier with lower expectations.

By the way, the players will win big time ($ good for them $), the owners in Montreal will win big time ($ good for them $). The fans will get what they pay for an experience, some excitement and hope.

15. CanadienBoy says:

Habs don’t have to move PK they just have to wait for Benn and O’reilley to sign like Zajac and Elder and PK will get market value equal to the others

16. habstrinifan says:

I read through the posts this morning! Man we are ALL a crazy lot! 100 psycho-fixers couldnt help us! It’s like we are all wandering some wasteland. Fearing extinction.

This was meant to be a good year TOO. It was supposed to be a Happy if not successful year!

Phooey I say!

• habs-fan-84 says:

RELAX!

We lost ONE game, by ONE goal.
      The goals the opposition scored on us were both on the powerplay.

Yes, I know the team still didn’t look great, but people throwing in the towel after one game are quite possibly emotionally unbalanced.

• wjc says:

Habstinifan, I say you need to cheer up ‘little buddy’.

I say ‘phooey’ to your pessimsm Canadiens should make you feel ‘warm and fuzzy’ all over. The players are well compensated, what more could you want.

17. Captain aHab says:

The Panthers will have played the night before they play us and will not have had the benefit of a training camp to get in game shape. If the Habs get outworked in that game, there will simply be no excuses, as the team’s new motto says. Time to give back to the fans on the ice. Free hot-dogs don’t win games.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Cal says:

That’s the best motto I’ve seen regarding the lockout and return to the ice: Free hotdogs don’t win hockey games. Excellent! :)

• wjc says:

Hey Captain, there is always an excuse, and hot dogs are not good for you. No excuses for eating ‘hot dogs’ even if they are free. Probably charge for the mustard and relish

“here is your free hot dog, that will be $4.00 for the mustard and relish”.

18. AliHaba says:

Hopefully they come out with a little more fire tomorrow night. I have excluded AGally from my list until such a time that he’s returned to Sarnia. Also, alot of the US university stats were not updated on hockeydb.com (hangovers?) so you’ll find no change in some of them.

Tim Bozon 46 games 60 points +25
    Dustin Walsh 13 10 E
    Maxim Trunev 38 8 -1
    John Westin 35 5 -8
    Josiah Didier 17 4 E
    Colin Sullivan 19 1 E

19. SlovakHab says:

wow, 38% of HIO respondents think Kovalev would have been a good fit on the current Canadiens.
    That’s really surprising.

To those who said yes: Where would you play him?

20. JayK-47 says:

So…… PK can either

1) Hold out for the year, costing him a couple million dollars and indirectly assist the Habs into the high draft pick lottery again,

2) Sign a bridge contract, help the team fight for a playoff spot in a transition year,

3) Sign a qualifying offer with another team, forcing the Habs hand,

4) Wait until the Habs lose several much needed games then get signed for Doughty money (making the team miss the playoffs anyways and handcuff the Habs to deal from a position of weakness due to cap issues).

Sound about right?

• Cal says:

#4 isn’t going to happen with Montreal, but perhaps #3. PK still says he wants to play with the Habs. Thus far he’s demonstrated that to play for the Habs he needs more than what the Habs are offering.
      Trades will have to be in the works, and it won’t necessarily be PK that gets moved.

• JayK-47 says:

Who do you think could move, is anyone untouchable?

• Cal says:

No one is untouchable, but here goes. Gionta, Chucky, Gally, Price, Markov, Emelin, Patches, Cole. These are the untouchables.
          Everyone else can be moved. Who knows what the Habs would get in return, though.

• habstrinifan says:

The P.K situation shows lack of foresight and … should have never gotten to this stage. Trading Pacs or Price or Gally or Patches (who is Chucky?) or Cole now would be jst as shortsighted. If they have to move P.K. (which I believe they have to do or have a sit down with the freakin room AND WITH P.K) then move some other assets.

Edit: Thanks Cal!

• Cal says:

@ habstrini
            Chucky is Alex Galchenyuk’s nickname.

• JayK-47 says:

Trini, I think we were going to end up in this position no matter what. And if PK wants to pursue this game of brinkmanship, then I’m ok with him moving on. As long as the return is Kane-like at forward or Weber, Shea-like on D.

• wjc says:

Cal, #3 is not going to happen because ‘owners’ are united this time.

It is strickly hands off, other teams talent, lesson well learned.

Subban and M.B. will meet somewhere in the middle. Subban has sponsors to worry about Hyunda and Nike. He has money flowing in just like the ‘tiger’, but his image is the thing to worry about right now. He cannot be seen as just another greedy, entitled player.

Stay tuned it will be interesting.

wjc

WOW!!! San Francisco. Unreal!

(I am kidding I am kidding.)

So, Gomer only traveled with the Sharks and you guys saw the results. Imagine what’s going to happen when he actually starts skating and playing with them.

• HardHabits says:

Did Gomez pull his groin walking up the tarmac?

• habstrinifan says:

How do you mean I am kidding Timo! I am not the greatest NFL fan .. go more for player sthan teams… I think this K. guy is unreal… like a bolt he has become the face of that organization and makes you want to watch the game. The other observation is how other players on his team are riding his coattails rather than bitching.

Can anyone please tell me what compensation Habs would be getting if another team made an offer to PK and Habs wouldn’t match it? Thanks in advance.

• commandant says:

Depends on the size of the offer….

$1,110,249 or below – No Compensation
      Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 – 3rd round pick
      Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 – 2nd round pick
      Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 – 1st round pick, 3rd
      Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 – 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
      Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 – Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
      Over $8,410,976 – Four 1st Round Picks

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

23. showey47 says:

Crazy 3rd period in phoenix.

24. NLhabsfan says:

Our luck this guy is going to test us for sure..

25. jols101 says:

Ya it would really suck to have a young kid like Zack Kassian on the Habs.

26. durocher says:

Bad goal let in by Bobby Lou

27. durocher says:

Would anyone like to have O’Byrne back on our blueline? If so, what would you give up?

For me, I’d take OB over Kaberle, Diaz, AND Weber any day of the week.

(Please, no purse jokes!)

• Timo says:

Combined.

Well, for me to get OB i don’t know… Who on Habs is good at scoring on their own net? It’s a hard to find skill so Avalanche would want someone like that in return.

28. Andy and the habs says:

So Kovalev showed up in his first game. Now he says he can take anyone in the room. It is like when he said he intends to play in the NHL until he’s 50.

29. Mark C says:

There are people that think Signing Kovy would have been better than signing Gionta? Odd.

• Say Ash says:

Gainey was one of them.

• Kooch7800 says:

I compared the stats of the two is what i did when people said he (kovalev) is a garbage player. He had 3 good years in his 4 year tenure as a hab and his worsed year was better than any Gionta has had as a hab.

In all actuality as well the team has gone the other way since Gainey blew it up

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

30. Say Ash says:

Absolutely sick backhand goal by Eberle tonight.

31. kempie says:

New Gravatar activated. Should show up soon. Not my artwork but it sums up the state of affairs right now (glad the lockout is over, still not excited about this team or this bush league that treats me like a battered spouse, wish they’d sort out this PKS BS).

32. cashbagg says:

AK27 is gonna kill us on Tuesday.

You know it, and I know it.

33. frontenac1 says:

Ha! Hawks vs Yotes and Smitty,The Pride of Verona Ont. Go Smitty!

34. Haborama says:

but honestly, let’s hope Ray Lewis doesn’t kill anyone this time……..

35. Bozo McBozo says:

Writ large the current NHL product kinda sucks moose eggs. I had to switch from the Leafs/Habs to the NCAA D-1 U of Minnesota/North Dakota game after two. And, Don Cherry is just a blowhole when it comes to comparing major junior to US college hockey. In the last WJC, Canada had no excuses for not fielding its best under-20 squad. Phil Housley schooled the Canadian coach, but then again anyone with a modicum of hockey knowledge would have. Just freakin’ screen Subban and you’ll win. Also Don, do you really want to compare the jobs that NCAA D-1 guys get who don’t make the NHL to those Major Junior fellows? Crap, the former guys end up working on Wall Street, while your dudes end up driving freaking cabs!

36. Marc10 says:

The Habs are really going to need to stay out of the box in this one. They’re going to get lit up like a Christmas tree if they take penalties.

That being said, I’m happy for Kovy He’s a player that grows with confidence when he gets the spotlight and is accountable when he’s tasked with carrying the load. Well Kovy, you’ve got it now. Go for it.

Speaking of that type of player, but with youth and stellar work ethic, can Bergie sign Pernell Karl to an 8-year deal already?

I don’t normally bother with Habs Eyes On The Prize as its wears its anti-DD bias too proudly and never apologises for it (even after his great campaign last year)… but I completely agree with this piece:

… specifically this bit:

A list of defensemen who aren’t as good as Subban while making over $3M a year: Sheldon Souray, Francois Beauchemin, Bryan Allen, Johnny Boychuck, Dennis Seidenberg, Tyler Myers, Robyn Regehr, Christian Ehrhoff, Jay Bouwmeester, Dennis Wideman, Mark Giordano, Joni Pitkanen, Tim Gleason, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya, Erik Johnson, Jan Hejda, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin, Jack Johnson, Alex Goligoski, Stephane Robidas, Trevor Daley, Niklas Kronwall, Kyle Quincey, Jonathan Ericsson, Ryan Whitney, Nick Schultz, Brian Campbell, Ed Jovanovski, Filip Kuba, Willie Mitchell, Rob Scuderi, Ryan Suter, Tom Gilbert, Tomas Kaberle, Josh Gorges, Anton Volchenkov, Marek Zidlicky, Henrik Tallinder, Bryce Salvador, Mark Streit, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Sergei Gonchar, Chris Phillips, Braydon Coburn, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Keith Yandle, Zbynek Michalek, Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Brad Stuart, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Barret Jackman, Matt Carle, Eric Brewer, Sami Salo, Mattias Ohlund, Mike Komisarek, John-Michael Liles, Jason Garrison, Keith Ballard, Alexander Edler, Mike Green, John Carlson, Roman Hamrlik, Dustin Byfuglien, Ron Hainsey, and Tobias Enstrom.

So yes, let’s sign PK to a full 8-year deal at $5m a pop and rising (I’ll let them work out the details on that). The longer Bergie holds out, the more embarrassing this gets.

Let’s just summarise the obvious:

Is PK a 29-minute stud Dman with speed and strength who can eat a ton of minutes while remaining a plus player on a crap team?
    Yes he is.

Is Brad Marchand lucky to be alive? Yes he is.

Is PK the best PP Dman short of a healthy Markov? Yes he is.

Does PK show a commitment to being a better player by training like a fricken beast in the off season. Irrespective of what you think of his training regimen… It’s an obvious yes.

Does this kid show any hint of off the ice issues? Is he from a dead beat family of losers? No, he’s great and so is his family.

Does he want/like to play in Montreal? Yes.

Does he show every sign of being a superstar/all star for years to come? Hell yes.

So seriously. Stuff the bridge contract for this kid As the piece in EOTP points out, he’s well worth it and we’d be insane to fight on principle when PK is worth the investment.

PS: RIP Richard Garneau. One of the best.

• Haborama says:

Unfortunatly MB seems to have a unusual passionate hatred for stud d-men who can improve a team in multiple ways and play like beasts.

He prefers heartless wimpy ballerinas who get bumped to third line duties…….

• Habilis says:

Yep. If there was ever a reason to break the tradition of bridge contracts, it’s a minute eating, physical defenceman who can play in every situation.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Habs have never had one of those coming off an ELC, and so this situation has actually never arisen before. Comparing where PK is at now to where Price and Patches were after their ELC’s is ludicrous. PK is far more established than either of them were. Plus it’s not like there is no precedent, plenty of teams sign kids to long term deals at PK’s age, if they’re really good. I think PK is really good. Maybe the Habs don’t.

• Marc10 says:

Yep. You’re probably right. Bergie is trying to set precedent. I just don’t think it’s the right one. PK is too valuable to fit in that box and he knows (and so does his agent). In the meantime, we’re setting ourselves up nicely for the Seth Jones draft.

• Chris says:

Comparing defencemen now to who they were after their own entry level deals would be more fair.

And just like Subban, many of the guys on that list looked like they were going to develop into top-10 defencemen. And most of them didn’t get those salaries until they were giving up years of their UFA status.

I don’t blame Subban for wanting to get paid. Most of this “love of the game” stuff is just pure BS anyways. He wants dough now in case he gets injured.

I also don’t blame Bergevin for refusing to bet the house on a player who isn’t where he needs to be as a hockey player yet.

But I particularly love that they’ve got Subban ahead of Ryan Suter and Alexander Edler. That right there suggests that they probably haven’t watched a lot of Nashville Predators or Vancouver Canucks games. At the VERY least, it is a wash, and I think many would agree that both those guys remain ahead of Subban as hockey players.

37. PureGuava says:

Gainey should have never given his money to Gionta…

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

Gotta laugh at this headline and how deadspin puts a picture of Maple Leafs into the story.

39. Haborama says:

But seriously, Galchenyuk was pretty bad last night, he seemed invisible and dare I say soft and gutless. One thing that really stood out for me was when he was bumped by a leaf forward in between whistles and acted like nothing happened, he could have at least shoved the guy back or facewashed him or something but he just skated away like a Sedin.

I was very dissapointed to say the least.

Hard to believe an 18 yr. old isn’t better prepared for this jump. Trade the bum!

• Steven says:

He was hardly out, and I think he was better than either of his linemates whenever he was out. His first shot almost yielded a goal, fer Pete’s sakes.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Vehemently disagree! (Yes, vehemently!)

I thought he acquitted himself quite well. Didn’t put the team in as much trouble as some guys like Cole and DD, which is good considering the many other elements around him collapsing.

Oh, and the guy who bumped him after the whistle was Komarov. Galchenyuk didn’t retaliate, but the way he looked at Komarov after was an 18 year old looking down at a 26 year old both figuratively and literally.

Actually, even though it’s an emotional game, I would feel gutless roughing up an 18 year old rookie after the whistle if I were his senior by 8 years.

40. zorro says:

The brothers goin to the Superbowl, wow thats big.

41. Habilis says:

A little levity for those of us who were concerned about the Habs play last night: Both the Rangers and the Flyers are 0-2-0.

Long way to go yet.

42. frontenac1 says:

Pens 6 Rags 3 with less than 2min. Wild 1 Stars 0 after 2. Nucks1 Oilers 0 after 1. Hey, I like this Free NHL package. They should leave it free for the rest of the Season after what they put us through ,Greedy Basta*ds.

43. Haborama says:

Galchenyuk to the Panthers for Kovalev, not even kidding.

44. frontenac1 says:

That Ray Lewis is something else eh? One of a kind.Good for him.

45. savethepuck says:

Looks like the Harbaugh brothers will be facing each other as opposition coaches in the Superbowl.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

46. calvee123 says:

Watching those videos, was so neat. He (Kovelev) definetly has some skill. I used to love watching him when he was on the power play. He used snipe the puck and score. I miss having him on the Canadiens. Looks like the Canadiens are a long way from being a top 8 team, from what I seen last night.

47. HabsSwag says:

@habinburlington thanks man ill try to come next year it would be cool to meet all you guys.

48. Boomer says:

would be cool if the ravens pulled it off

49. HabsSwag says:

@psyco29 nice one lol

50. frontenac1 says:

Hey Neuman, I coached north of Kingson for 7 years in the Inter City League. We taught the Kids to drop the Mitts and not spear.Friday night Midget games were so Lively ,the local OPP detatchment was on Permanent Standby.Just good old fun amigo!

51. HabsSwag says:

@habfan10912 where is the sumit Located?

The Summit is normally held annually each year in Montreal, involves a dinner and a Habs game. This year due to the greedfest it had to be postponed until next season.

It is open to anyone who wishes to attend. I too hope you can attend , it would be a pleasure to meet you.

Take care bud.

Wow, have to imagine BriPro is throwing kitchen sinks and other household items at his TV right now. Baltimore appears to be taking over this game.

53. HabsSwag says:

Haha thanks guys.
    Just did that one because that lafs dude gona get me tickets for one of the game this year.
    As some of you know im blind so i said yess to that guy Because I want The real experience of going to the game

54. HabsSwag says:

Hey guys hows it going. Well I lost the stupid bet and will be Wearing a lafs jersey tomorrow. 1 stupid question fore every one. Will I be still considered as a true HABS fan if i wear the lafs jersey tomorrow???
    I guess im still a true fan it’s only a bet after all But want to hear your answers. And as for last night to me the best line was the 4th line last night. But its only 1 game.
    Gallchenyuk Wasn’t too bad for his first game.
    Thanks in in advance if I get any responses

55. PrimeTime says:

If PK wants to be a prima donn I hope MB can trade him along his elitist attitude and bury it in a small market. Or PK can have some humility and sign a mutually fair and responsible contract.

Kovalev was my favorite russian and still is. Is he going to help the Habs by contributing to the Tank? Without a doubt!

57. jols101 says:

Oil vs Nucks at 9:00 should be a beauty. Can’t wait to see the young guns on the Oilers. Look forward to seeing Yakupov and Schultz play their first games.

58. Ron says:

Poor Steve Begin, played 5:21 with Calgary againist Sharks and is out with injury. Not the way your come back needs.

59. jols101 says:

Flames look rusty and old.

60. punkster says:

Cool…NHL Center Ice free preview to January 31…lots of games.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

61. ProHabs says:

If PK was really a team guy and cared about his teammates and the Habs, he would have been in the lineup yesterday trying to help them win a game.

He is now no different than Alexei Yashin. Is that the type of charactor player you want as a building block for your team.

• dr zgembo adislic says:

Agree, would love to see a big time trade subban, kaberle, weber, dd for getzlaf and perry or bring in crosby or ovechkin, we need guys who can play and score im sick and tired of this victim mentality, as a matter of fact we need a character guy like ray lewis in our locker

\\m//

• The Cat says:

Being a team player doesnt really exist nowadays. The team is not that loyal to the player and vice versa. Its a business now, the team is a big business and the players are each small businesses, and the only party that gets emotionally attached is the fan.

• zorro says:

He has an agent, who calls the shots. PK probrably has no say. Its all greed.
      Do you really think any hab deserved their million$ during the home opener ? So sad.

• NCRhabsfan says:

The agent never calls the shots, he works for the player. Agents recommend, players decide. That’s the way it works. You can’t blame this on the agent; Bergevin or PK yes but not the agent.

If PK doesn’t sign and loses the entire year, what then? Can missing an entire season at this juncture in his career increase his value? It sounds like a stupid move on his part to me, why would anyone want a guy that would miss an entire season because a 300 or 400% raise wasn’t good enough.

62. wjc says:

Beliveau $10,000,000.00
    Plante 8,000,000.00
    Richard M 12,000,000.00
    Richard H 7,000,000.00
    Geffrion 9,000,000.00
    Harvey 11,000,000.00
    Johnson 5,000,000.00
    Moore 10,000,000.00
    ____________
    $62,000.000.00
    whoops some players have to go, Henri Richard is a free agent and is looking for $9,000,000.00 over 8 years. Bob Turner is looking for $4,000,000.00 and Charley Hodge needs a raise from 3.5 million.

Do you let Jean Guy Talbot walk with Donny Marshall and phil Goyette and what about Claude Provost who is home holding out. What about Gilles Trembly, how do they make room for him and Billy Hicke and Bobby Rouseau.

Who do you keep, who do you get rid of. I long for the days when players played and money was never mentioned….simple times.
    wjc

I miss those days also, I could probably have some 13 year olds working in my warehouse for me with no workmans compensation concerns or booked holidays to worry about.

Ahhh the good old days, oh yah I miss leaded gasoline as well.

• wjc says:

Are you deliberately missing the point. I am talking about how simple sports were back then. How it was an escape. Things were pretty good back in the late 50′s and early 60′s…low unemployment, one wage earner only.

Geez why do you mention leaded gasoline, improvements were made. Air was cleaner back then, water purer, kids played outside, well some did.

Just saying players played, owners owned, fans cheered and you knew the Canadien players would spend their careers playing for the habs, unless a trade happend. Better system for the fans on there 24 inch black and white televisions.

Now some think yapping about money is interesting and not just a little but Millions of dollars. The pendalum swung to far to fast and it is sickening.

If you enjoy the state of affairs in sport, then enjoy away, it is your money and your leisure time. Just do not expect to ever get back to glory days anytime too soon.

• ZepFan2 says:

“one wage earner only.”

Misogynist

“owners owned”

And the players were their slaves. At least until players like Ted Lindsay and Doug Harvey had enough.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

You can’t pick and choose what you preferred in “the good ole days”. The owners in those days were full of collusion and using their players.

Yes we thought it was pure then, but we also thought our politicians were better then also.

I understand your sentiment, and sure players today are most likely overpaid, but we overpay for tickets and owners overcharge for us to watch be it live or on our TV’s.

There was nothing pure about how the Norris brothers ran the Blackhawks or how Ballard ran the Leafs.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Most likely overpaid? If ever a society had a completely screwed up sense of the worth of certain individuals it is this one. It’s our own version of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire. Old guys that could once push a puck into a square cage with mesh in the back make 10 or 15 times what our Prime Minister makes (okay, maybe that’s a bad example). Teachers make a pittance compared to hockey players, as do doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen, soldiers, hydro workers and a host of other folks that do things that are way more important in everyday life. It’s ridiculous.

And so we’re supposed to feel some sympathy for PK Subban who if he took 3 million dollars a year from the Habs would make more in one year than most people make doing more important stuff do in a lifetime? But 3 million is not good enough for PK. He wants 6. Boy, I sure hope he doesn’t fall down the stairs tomorrow morning, break his back and end up with nothing, nada, nil, zip, zero and a lifetime of regrets.

• neumann103 says:

arrrrrr

I miss iron lungs and people knowing their place and simpler times when you could just kick the sh!# out of anyone who seemed a little different.

Owners were owners and women were women and players were infantilized. Owners did what they wanted, and players did what owners wanted and women did what the men who owned them wanted.

So much simpler.

and

Get off my yaaarrrrrrrrrd!

“Et le but!”

• habstrinifan says:

I know you are being sarcastic but I do miss the times when you could kick the sh!# out of someone who was begging for it. My last drunk fight .. in NAPANEE… of all places. Maybe was with Ian… he lives near Napanee I think… who knows!

I got the sh## kicked outta me too and in some cases deservingly so.

Now Trin, why do you assume Neumann and I are being sarcastic? ;-) CHeers bud, too bad we are too old for those old fighting days eh?

• neumann103 says:

Trini

Well that was Napanee.

I grew up in Kingston and played hockey against feral farm children from the outlying areas. Puck drops and let the spearing begin!

“Et le but!”

• Habilis says:

“Air was cleaner back then, water purer, kids played outside, well some did.”

Wow that made me laugh. Do you understand that the reason why our air is so bad these days is because in those good old days of yore, we did whatever we wanted with no understanding of the consequences? They didn’t even know what air quality was back then! We have been spewing carbon into the air for centuries and we are finally, now, at a day and age where we understand the damage that it is causing.

Same deal with hockey players. They played for peanuts back then, yeah. But they also got treated like dirt and were discarded like beer cans when they were no longer of use. The public didn’t care because they didn’t want to know about the business side of it, they were happy enough watching the games.

Society has evolved. People want to know the ins and outs now. They want to know if it’s fair, what the consequences are. You talk about things being better back then, but they weren’t. There was just more ignorance.

Is that the kind of world you long for, one where everything appears great just because nobody asks any questions? If so, I feel sorry for you.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Ah, my 1960s childhood, fishing for mutant rock bass in the Chateauguay River, celebrating my grandfather’s 65th (3 months before he died of cancer) because no man in my working class family had lived that long before, hitting the aerosol deodorant (who gives a crap about New Zealand anyway…).
            My grandfather had a Habs player living upstairs in a flat beside a lumberyard in Ville Emard in the Depression – he’d get off the streetcar and recount details of the game for quarts of beer, which the local guys would chip in and buy for him because he couldn’t afford to buy many after game Dow Ales.
            Those were the days. The owners raked it in and everyone else went back home to coldwater flats and short lives. The air was full of coal and leaded gas, the water was full of mercury and you could still buy asbestos oven mitts.

• savethepuck says:

This one is in dire need of the sarcasm font. Assumed you were agreeing with him until I read it closely. Can’t stop laughing.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Strummer says:

I would settle for the good old days of 2008

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

While I despise both the Patriots and Ravens, it is hard to not marvel at the dissection of opponents defence which Belichick and Brady are capable of. They are indeed the class of the AFC which I find very difficult to say.

64. commandant says:

The new #27 and the old #27 head to head at least one time.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

65. Leviathan says:

Kovalev is still one of my favourite players to watch. He’s like a throwback, not all speed/systems, dump and chase.

66. citizenSanto says:

Love Kovy!
    The Artist still has his moves.
    Even John Goodman is a fan. ;)

Find myself torn on the subject of Kovalev. While I know and understand it is time for this franchise to turn the page on recent past, our top 6/9 forwards are lacking in finishing ability. This becomes more evident when games go to shootout.

While Kovy is the ultimate enigma, I dont think he ever enjoyed playing hockey in the NHL anywhere else as much as for the Habs.

WIsh him well, just not against us.

68. jeu_de_puissance says:

Can’t help but respect him. He was the best offensive player for the Habs while he was in Montreal.

Hopefully he gets a warm reception.

Can\’t F#*k with history!!!

• Strummer says:

He was the best offensive player the Habs had in a generation.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

69. twilighthours says:

Kovy is still a gem.

70. sreuel says:

Until the habs play with passion and play as a team they will win. If they play like last night then goodbye playoffs.

71. durocher says:

I hope the fans warmly greet Kovy

72. Ron says:

Going be a good game and be interesting what type of reception Kovy gets. For me I will be watching Huberdeau closely as a have been watching him here at home the last few years.

His linemate Mueller and Wolski are both intriguing players who looked like sure fire NHL players when first entering the NHL.

Both have been available in the market the last while and I wonder how well Mueller will do with Kovy and Huberdeau as linemates.

73. Propwash says:

Congrats to the niners for making it to the Superbowl

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

74. Haborama says:

He should have swapped Halack for Bckes OR St Louis’s 2010 first rounder (Tarasenko ftw)

we would be so much better now.

75. ZepFan2 says:

Remember when Gainey decided to pop $5m a year on Gionta after AK27 told Gainey he’d call him back after being offered what Gionta signed for?

There, fixed.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

76. PureGuava says:

Or when the Ghost traded Spatch and his short-term contract for Jim Rutherford’s fifteen million dollar mistake….

Or when he re-signed a #6 d-man that doesn’t really do anything other than block shots for 4 million a season for 6 more years.

Markov, Kaberle and Gorges are making 15 million between them until the end of time, and we’re too poor to ice our best young blueliner?

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

77. Haborama says:

or when he should have bought Gomez out in the summer of 2011 and gunned for Brad Richards and Zenon Konopka, but decided that skill and toughness were not optional?

78. ooder says:

or when they unceremoniously parted ways with koivu? or traded Ribeiro for peanuts

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

79. Andy and the habs says:

Kovalev signed for 5mn in Ottowa. By then he was showing up 1 game out 4. Not that I’m defending BG.

80. PureGuava says:

With Gainey and Goat out of work, the other Gm’s no longer have a fallback plan if their signings go sour…

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

81. ZepFan2 says:

“In 2009, then Canadiens’ general manager Bob Gainey offered Kovalev a contract. He was to be the next captain of the Habs. The forward and his agent played hardball and, so as to not miss out on acquiring the necessary right wing the Canadiens needed, Gainey moved on.”

You didn’t fix anything.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

82. Chuck says:

Oh, snap!

___________________________________________________

83. otter649 says:

Story I heard Montreal offered Kovalev a two year contract & he held out for three years – Gainey said No & Kovy signed in Ottawa with a 2 year contract……..

84. ZepFan2 says:

2009-10

Gionta: 61 GP 28 goals 46Pts +3

Kovalev: 77 GP 18 Goals 49pts -8

Now finally fixed!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

85. showey47 says:

Gainey works as a consultant for the dallas stars and gauthier works for the blackhawks as the director of player personnel. They were both working again last summer.

86. Marc10 says:

Yep. He can buyout Kabs at the end of the year and maybe offload Cole or Gio to a contender if he wants a true rebuild. There are options, but you’re probably right… He can’t get Gally this year if he signs PK to a big deal.

I say tough luck. Send Gally back down after the initial look . He’ll be well coached and can play major minutes. Then you ink PK to a long term deal. We’re not winning the cup either way, so might as well get a happy top Dman for 8 years.

And thanks Bob and Pierre for making it all possible.

87. wjc says:

HOW COULD SO MANY PEOPLE MISS THE POINT. Just stick together and love the money grubbing hockey of today.

The game you can’t go to because you have been priced out.

The game the players play for millions of dollars and feel entitled

The point wasn’t how wonderful the times were, it was you could go to a hockey game and enjoy it for what it was.

Just because you bozo’s have each others backs does not make you right, just stupid.

I would bet all you know about that era is what you read somewhere. Of course players making more is good and owners exploited players.

The only one’s being exploited now are the so called fans.

You pay and pay and pay and pay and pay ….and you just don’t get that much back.

The game was not perfect and it had to be improved and of course the players did need to come up….but it has gone to far.

In 50 years people will look at these days of lost jobs, people falling over with heart attacks because of horrible diets and over paid spoiled sports hero’s and wonder what the hell that was all about.

You could not afford to keep a team like the Canadiens had in the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s because they would demand too much money.

So the glory days are over and the system that is in place says you will win one Stanley cup in the next 20 years, because to think otherwise is not being touch with reality.

But, what is reality on a sight filled with ‘catfish’ pretenders with 80% of you with no hope and you are too busy worrying about a piece of frozen rubber that does not improve your lot one bit.

88. SlovakHab says:

Maybe Coyotes. But the first 3 teams should make the postseason. Rangers & Flyers played some quality opponents: Bruins & Penguins, Penguins & Sabres.
    Betcha none of those teams would be 0-2 if they faced Habs to start the season :)

89. habstrinifan says:

Nucks!

90. JayK-47 says:

What about Patches extending for 4.5 mil a year? NEXT!

91. Habfan17 says:

Patches is at $4.0 million

He is still playing under the old contract at $1.75 million. This is also his 5th season and he will make the $4 million in his 6th. Based on his numbers last season, he probably could have received more money if you compare him to other players around the league with similar numbers. I think Price is more valuable to the Habs abd he is making $5.5 this season then 5.75, 6.75, then 7. Maybe Subban should take a deal that starts at $4 million this season, then if he hits certain criteria goes to $5, then $6 for another 3 seasons. Bergevin could add bonuses for the first 2 years that would kick him up to $5 million the first season and $6 million in the second. There is a fair deal to be made.

Habfan17

92. Habfan17 says:

The hold up could be that with the cap coming down next season, and having 5 RFA’s, including Desharnais, they will have to shuffle some players around. Kaberle should be gone one way or the other, but then you have to evaluate Markov and Bourque! Maybe they trade Kaberle and Bourque if they can get some takers and buy out Markov with the last amnesty buyout. If Galchenyuk and Gallagher prove to be ready the youth mouvement sooner might be for the best. Boullion and Armstrong will be off the books but at their salaries, they will be replaced with someone making around the same. Budaj will also be a UFA

Habfan17

93. JayK-47 says:

Patches cap hit will hit 4.5 next year, yes.

And that PK deal sounds fair, what’s the hold up?

94. wjc says:

As MB knows, it does not take long to hit cap, then what? Sell off and sink, so what he does today, effects tomorrow big time. Soon it will be Galchenyuk after the big money and Tinordi, Belieau etc. etc.

You see what I mean about having too many good players, and having to move them because you run out of ‘cap room’.

What you do today, effects tomorrow, because team mates are watching to see if you fold and then they want their due.

95. SlovakHab says:

Clearly 38% of people live in the past and didn’t see Kovy play in the last 3 seasons. It’s 2013, not 2008.

Habs fans living in the past? Preposterous!!!

97. CanadienBoy says:

still remember him in Ottawa Brutal

98. geo_habsgo says:

Well…he was one of the best players on Saturday night…

99. wjc says:

It is more like 99% of fans live in the past waiting for 50′s, 60′s, and 70′s to return.

38% of the fans always want the player they don’t have anymore.

100. habstrinifan says:

Habs love it when we live in the past… see Monday! Then we ignore the present.

101. Ron says:

37% now, I just voted. :D

102. JayK-47 says:

The only RFA looking at a raise is DD. And we still have to watch this season get played out. Bourque was looking good Saturday night and I think Detroit might take Markov. The real roadblock is Kabs. And I don’t know how they’re going to move him unless they sign PK to insulate him. Its a catch-22.

103. wjc says:

Get rid of all your veteran leadership, and leave it to the youth to face the Montreal pressure and perhaps crack. Move them out so they can flourish with veteran leadership.

It is an endless cycle, then look around and wish some of those players that are flourishing somewhere else, were playing on your team.

Kids can’t take the pressure of being nitpicked to death, and you wonder why they falter. Head to a warmer climate and play without the microscope.

104. wjc says:

How about the mantra of H/O anonymous/afraid/nitpicky/catfishy/ just plain fishy/prone to panic easily, and did I say anonymous.

wjc

We are getting on a Carib. cruise on Saturday but flying in on Thu afternoon. Fingers crossed for good weather.

106. Loonie says:

It isn’t about knowing more. It’s about sharing valuable information. If you don’t want to see it that’s fine. Doesn’t make you less of a fan or student of the game than the next guy.

To each their own.

107. HabFab says:

I see Timo is visiting on Thursday…
    And of course how do the “stats guys” differ from the rest of the “know more guys” then the rest of us?
    That is just as confusing reading as it was writing.

108. Loonie says:

My apologies for presuming it was about my post. On your Moneyball point. I haven’t seen anyone grandstanding about their statistical analysis but that sure doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

109. HabFab says:

Clever avoidance of the “assuming” word there.

110. Loonie says:

That a compliment Frank?

111. HabFab says:

Always!
    Well maybe half and half.
    One rabbit, one horse…

If you’re a Benny Hill fan, my favorite skit.

112. Loonie says:

Funny you mention it because Benny Hill was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the comment.

And no hard feelings. I deserved the smack more than the compliment.

113. Habfan10912 says:

What’s that saying? Figures never lie and liars never figure. Hockey has so many intangibles that any single statistic can’t adequately capture the sum of the
    whole. Then there is the bias measuring where we see some stats often recorded incorrectly.

———————————–

114. Habfan10912 says:

Sounds like a pretty good day at the office Habs. :)

———————————–

115. Loonie says:

Case in point. Alexei Emelin had 6 hits in the box score, the true number was 10.

Bouillon was given 1 and had 6.

Gorges had 5 and was given 1. Funniest thing about Gorges is that two of them were complete white washes of the guy he hit, not sure how the statistician missed one of them even in real time

Alex Galchenyuk had three takeaways and I haven’t checked NHL.com yet but I doubt they gave him credit for them.

116. Loonie says:

I think the issue for Therrien is that Eller was noticeable, in a bad way, Moen was absolutely invisible.

Eller going to the press box would be a mistake in my opinion, but his play was bad on the weekend.

117. ed lopaz says:

Gorges laid out the Belarussian weasel pretty good – that was one hit everyone saw.

118. ed lopaz says:

it was their 1st game – like I said – over reaction. clearly Eller’s spot in the line up was borderline to begin with. if he can lose it so quickly.

119. Loonie says:

I don’t think I disagree with Ed. It isn’t fair to Eller to scratch him for this and isn’t right for his development considering it’s been done before.

I have little to nothing good to say about Therrien at this point and hope he can change my mind heading into the future.

120. ont fan says:

Halak yanked after 1st

121. Bripro says:

“Playing golf”??
    Where are you, you lucky stiff?

You bugger you, enjoy yourselves. I trust you guys will do it right and enjoy some pops on the course. Wish I could join you guys, sounds great!

How many strokes you giving Timo, gotta play for at least a drink in the clubhouse after. CHeers!

123. Bripro says:

We have to organize something like this in the future.
    Wouldn’t mind teeing off while the snow blizzards sideways across my living room window.

LMAO, how the heck did you find that?

125. Mike D says:

Beauty!

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

126. Kevy says:

I remember Carbo being traded after a picture like that.

127. alfieturcotte says:

How quickly I forget. I would rate them on par with each other. Both were terrible fiascos. We should only hope the 2 in charge now will be better.

128. showey47 says:

I don’t think i’ve ever seen a team get more PP chances in the last couple minutes of a game when being down by a goal or 2.

Bruins, Boston?