Kostopoulos suspended, Higgins OK to go

Forward Tom Kostopoulos has drawn a one-game suspension for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday’s Canadiens-Bruins game. With 47 seconds to play, Kostopoulos went after Boston’s Mark Stuart, who earlier in the period had fought Andrei Kostitsyn. Head coach Guy Carbonneau also drew an automatic NHL-imposed $10,000 fine, but don’t think that’s coming out of Carbo’s pocket.

Mikhail Grabovski will be in the lineup tonight with Kostopoulos out against the Ottawa Senators. Christopher Higgins will be in uniform tonight, despite having limped through much of Saturday’s game with what appeared to be a left ankle injury.

Defenceman Josh Gorges yields his place of Saturday to Patrice Brisebois, and Cristobal Huet gets the start in goal.

1. piche says:

agree on Chipchura… just posted something similar before reading your comment. :-)

2. piche says:

About Theo: He is an amazing athlete (ligthning fast) but his size hurts him most. He has to work for every save. I remember talking about him with a goalie friend of mine after he won the heart & vezna. He said that Theo is too small and that once players got used to playing against him he would not do as well. Then the NHL added the restrictions on goalie equipment which made things worse. Funny thing is – my buddy is a Colorado fan (from the Nordiques days).

3. piche says:

I agree with Chipchura. I had him billed as a hardworking defensive minded player. His offensive skills have suprised me the most (although not on the scoresheet).

Hamrlik second.

I would also throw Striet into the mix. I have been suprised by how well he passes and mans the point. One of my favorite players to watch.

4. Naila Jinnah says:

Chipper gets my vote!

5. Brennan says:

The biggest surprise for me has been the play of Chipchura. I thought he was going to make by far many more “rookie mistakes.” But he has made few of them and actually looks like a veteran the way he plays the game. I knew Kostitsyn had the capabilities to produce offense, but the really big surprise to me this season is the difference Brisebois makes when he is on the ice. He makes breaking out look easy.

6. krob1000 says:

I think the only reason Gorges was in the lineup was because they didn’t want to play Patrice in a back to back situation (or maybe he was aching…I dunno). My guess would be the back to back and my gut tells me to expect the same this weekend in our back to back against Buffalo.

7. nightmare_49 says:

As the best surprise for me this year : It would have to be Hamrlik as i didn’t know he could slow the game and speed it up nicely with very few errors and a write in vote for Kostopoulos as runner up as his all around play has improved under Carbo’s system. The others in the group were what i expected.

8. mjames says:

I think you might need to have Chuck bring a step ladder. I think he is around 5’4″. mjames

9. Geoff F says:

Bill H, you should be able to catch the game on the SOPCAST P2P utility. I’m from TOronto too and i am hoping i can get the feed on teh Internet tonight as i don’t want to miss out on the ceremony either.

Hopefully that works for you!

GO HABS GO

10. JasonM says:

I can’t believe that Chara didn’t get at least a game for his antics Saturday night. It is quite clear that he went head-hunting as his team was being routed, the same team (the captain of the team to empthasize my point) that was advocating caution when dealing with hits to the head due to what happened to Patrice Bergeron. How Chara went after the opposing team’s best player’s head and then promptly assaulted the first player to come near him after commiting such an act didn’t merit a suspension is beyond me. Are they really that hopeless? Am I being biased as a Habs fan Dave?

Cheers

11. fuhgawz says:

in reply to your question – Chipchura he has been impressive all season so far ……. i agree with Kostitsyn as well he is getting better each game

12. krob1000 says:

KerryPrice….I am afraid your name reveals your bias. I sure is great that we all can’t even agree on our teams most pleasant surprise. I agree that Kostitsyn has been good as of late but after the training camp he had his first 15 games were not a pleasant surprise. Lately he has been a legitimate top six forward and looking very comfortable. He was just lacking a little confidence. Confidence is one of the most important factors in a players success or failure and a perfect example is Ryders bouncing back after scoring our lone goal against Buffalo. He was a man on a mission after that. Plekanec is another example. Higgins has the mental training and ability to battle through his slump so I am not so concerned about him as I was with Ryder. I still say Hamrilk…..for now.

13. Kevin says:

And all this despite the fact that he’s playing with Brisebois. Imagine if he was paired with Komisarek!

14. saskhab says:

Hmm, must’ve changed that. Earlier it was the opposite.

Seems a more consistent ruling, then. I was confused why one was punished and not the other if they did indeed agree with the refs.

Hopefully the players take up a collection and give Carbo his money back!

15. Kevin says:

I was just about to post the same comment! I don’t know how they beat out Detroit, but Go Habs!

16. WindsorHab-10 says:

I don’t understand benching Gorges in favor of Brisebois. The kid had a very good game Saturday and we’re much better with him in the line-up. I’m assuming Gorges is a scratch because Patrice is in.

17. WindsorHab-10 says:

Don’t mean to burst your bubble but I think Price should be the go to guy tonight. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

18. KerryPrice says:

I would have to go with Price and Kostitsyn being the most pleasant surprizes for Le Habitant. Not taking anything away from Kyle ( freddy) Chipchura. Markov is playing the best hockey of his career. Kovie looks like he wants to win again and it`s rubbing off on his linemates. The additions of Kostopolos , Smolinski and Hamerlik left most of us , including myself scratching our head all summer. All 3 have surprized me. Who needs Ryan Smyth, who needs Danny Briere have fun in Philly and Colorado. Nice to see Jose Theodore turning his career around though. I always liked that guy.

19. krob1000 says:

Enough jibber jabber jibberjabber Brisebois has been very solid this year (outside of his first couple games after missing most of training camp).

20. KerryPrice says:

21. jibberjabber says:

Good news and bad news. Higgins is ok, Breezer back in line-up

22. krob1000 says:

Sorry Ryder I always forget to use the reply button.

23. krob1000 says:

Hamrlik in a landslide!!!

Chipchura is exactly what we expected and Kostitsyn may be the winner by years end but as of now it has to be Hamrlik. None of us knew how well rounded his game was and the impact he would have on our team in both ends of the rink. I think it is his presence that is also helping to raise Markov’s game to the next level (can you say Norris Trophy) by eating serious minutes against other teams top lines as well. Knowing that for the 80 percent of the game that we will have either Markov or Hamrlik on the ice is also a big reason we are seeing more offense this year than in years past.

24. drecha says:

Anybody see TSN’s Power rankings? The Habs are ranked 2 behind Ottawa!! They are actually getting a little bit of recogniton!! Hopefully they can beat the Sens tonight and pull ahead of them in next weeks Rankings!
    Here is the link.

GoHabsGo!!!

25. Bill H says:

It would be great if the Habs could manhandle the Sens tonight. Sorry I can’t watch the game, much less the pregame ceremony, being from Toronto it is not available. I think they get RDS and show Habs games at Boy Meets Grill bar in the Annex. Maybe stop by and see if it is on. Any posters want to meet up and get together?

Webmaster: I am on Internet Explorer and Windows XP. The earlier problem with all the posts running into the dark blue area on the right hand side seems to have been corrected for the most part. However, the margins of the posts are not consistent. Most are okay, but 2 above, one by Sask Habsfan and the other by krob1000, the margins are not correct and the text is lost on the right hand side.

26. KerryPrice says:

I think Chara shoulda got a game for his antics Sat night. good to hear Higgi is alright when i saw him limping off the ice Saturday reminded me of when he broke his ankle last season after such a good start to his season. I`m willing to bet that it`s gonna be Huet vs Emery tonight. I hope to see Komiserick and Neil square off.Koivu , Ryder and Higgi are gonna rip er up tonight, hopefully. Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!

27. TradeRyder says:

Hope that Grabs is in – it’ll be a high-flying game for sure!
    Friend of mine were talking hockey over beer and this question came up:

QUESTION: who’s been the best surprise this year:

A) Chipchura
    B) Kostitsyn
    C) Hamrlik
    D) Grabovski
    E) Price

… could be any, but I go with Chipchura. 2nd, Kostitsyn.

____________________________________________________

28. petemoss says:

According to TSN, Carbo did get a fine…

29. fuhgawz says:

before i am corrected ….. it should have read …. we’re
    a hell of a lot stronger ……..

30. saskhab says:

No fines according to TSN for either Kostopolous or Carbonneau, just the one game suspension for Tom.

Any word on lines yet? Will both Grabovski and Latendresse be flanking Chipchura on a “young guns” line?

Grabovski needs to play, but it does suck it’s at the expense of Tom.

Yeah, the Sens are due to lose 2 straight at some point… right? And we’re due to win a jersey retirement game at some point… right? How about a 2-fer?

31. fuhgawz says:

AK27 let’er rip tonight !!!! We need to win the face-off battle tonight, puck possession is going to be key. If we can be strong on the puck in the corners and win the battles along the boards we can definitely beat this team…….. After all the Laffs applied pressure and got the win this way —– I am sure we can as well …… were a hell of a lot stronger as a team then Toronto. Glad to see Higgy is go to go.

Giver her hard tonight boys ….. win this one for Larry

32. teamplayer says:

huet vs ryder… got it from tsn ice chips

33. MrSieve33 says:

Haven’t heard anything about this yet. Have Carbo and the Canadiens been fined for Kostopouloss’instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday’s game?

34. Sbah Reverof says:

Huet to play tonight, unless something has changed that I’m not aware of.
    Congratulations, Larry!

35. fuhgawz says:

have been waiting to hear that myself —- Anyone … any ideas?

36. krob1000 says:

Gerber vs. Huet …..my guess. There is no way Price starts for us tonight and I think Emery is still hurting a bit and the Sens are riding Gerber until they are 100% certain that Emery is 100%. Emery will be back this week but not tonight. Huet tonight for us though……should be anyway. If I were betting I would say Huet tonight and against the Isles and Price on Friday against Buffalo with Huet playing on Saturday gainst Buffalo. I believe the coaches will stay true to their original plan with Price.

37. Habs_008 says:

More then Likely its Huet, he played well against the sens the last time, I would like to see Huet play.

38. Sask Habs Fan says:

Too bad about Kostopy. Much needed grit that our team so dearly needs game in and game out. I just wish he was about a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier so next time they play the Bruins he could rearrange the placement of Chara’s nose. That guy needs a serious pounding. Don’t know of many capable of giving him one though. Maybe he’ll slash Crosby the next time they play Pitts and Georges can give him a concussion by bouncing his brain off the inside of his skull a few times. Hate is a strong word, but I can definitely say I hate Chara. I say sign Chuck Norris to a one game contract for when we play Boston next. Let him take care of that big goon.

GO HABS GO! Time for the Senators to lose 2 in a row!
    ____________________________________________
    Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas.

39. Naila Jinnah says:

Out of curiosity, any word on the goalies?

40. Habmeister says:

Congrats to Larry and family.

41. nightmare_49 says:

Off the topic : The Ducks have traded their 2hd round pick/2008 to the Capitals for Brian Sutherby (c) a big defensive center from Alberta. The Ducks have extra picks next year thanks to Edmonton’s obtaining Dusty Penner. The trades are starting, although minor, as the teams know where they stand and are starting to tinker but don’t expect any thing big to happen for a few months (salary cap).

42. REB says:

RE: QUESTION: who’s been the best surprise this year:

A) Chipchura
    B) Kostitsyn
    C) Hamrlik
    D) Grabovski
    E) Price

None of the above; 2 other surprises stand above tese choices.
    1. By far the biggest surprise has been Kovalev. Yes, we know what he’s done in the past, but after last year’s total lack of effort, one has to ask “Who are you and what did you do with Kovalev?”
    2. The overall chemistry and effort of this team. We have no superstar (Kovalev-prove me wrong, please!), and yet we’re ranked 2nd in TSN poer ranking, we’re 3rd in the east and 4th over…whodathunkit?

43. Sbah Reverof says:

Among the newbies, Chips has been the nicest surprise. I had read good things about him before seeing him play, but his intelligence and good positioning have been impressive. Kovalev has turned night into day by assuming a leadership role, showing up to play every night, and being much more of a team player. And I didn’t even mention his dazzling skills.
    As the time for the team’s annual meltdown approaches, it will be interesting to see how they try to reverse precedent, and I think that begins tonight. They gotta build on their grittiness and stick-together-ness of Saturday’s game in order to weather the possible oncoming storm of the next few weeks. That being said:
    Go Habs!

44. hockey7272 says:

Hopefully the habs come out flying and dont give up the game in the third like last time!

45. arcosenate says:

if someone could smoke alfredsson it would go a long way towards ensuring a victory. he’s been pretty tough on us. maybe komisarek has something in mind.

46. Jonnyboy says:

Looking back on the summer, everyone questioned the pick-ups very strongly.

Look at how its panning out. Kostopoulos is a tank and shows up every game and look at what he gets paid – $900,000. What a signing. He will be missed against the powerhouse Ottawa.

Tonight would be a good nice for the top line to show up.

47. Rio says:

Gotta beat those sens. Whos in nets?
    Whos gonna pay carbos fine? do the players generally pay up for the coach?

48. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

I have not been impressed with Smolinski this year. He has done some good things but he has done more bone headed things in my opinion – bad/brutal passes and blind clearing attempts being tops on the list. Smolinski has won some important face offs but I am betting he is only around 50% on them. I would prefer to see Smolinksi pushed out and replaced on the roster by Milroy or Lapierre.

49. FastRonnie says:

Regarding the post about the biggest surprise this year…

I think Chipchura has been better than expected and Hamrlik is a better acquisition that we all foresaw, and who knew how much we’d see from Tom the Bomb. But, I have to admit that Kovy has been my biggest surprise this season. He’s been involved and interested in most games and the stats show it. I like how he’s playing and I think he’s contributed more than anyone might have expected given last year’s disappointment.

50. MrSieve33 says:

I love how almost all of Kovalev’s goals look the same. Its like playing NHL 08.

51. jody1974 says:

Keep up the great work Kostopoulos & Komisarek. Need to show the young lads about hitting everyone and setting the tone. Rest of the team watch and understand.

Go Habs Go…..

52. moeman says:

Congrats to the Bird Bird, one of the best Dmen, ever.

~ have a powerful day ~

53. Habs Fan in TO says:

Oh Boy! I am glad to hear Higgins is OK! GO HABS GO

54. The Ian Cobb says:

Well well- good news , now If higgins plays on 1st line, it’s going to be very interesting if Ryders game goes back in the tank, after having his best game of the year after Higgins went down??

55. Naila Jinnah says:

Excellent news on Higgins… Thanks for the update!

Out of curiosity, will the players be on the ice for the ceremony? When will the warm-up period be, pre-ceremony or post-ceremony?
    Just wondering how antsy they’re going to be by puck drop!

56. Dave Stubbs says:

In past number retirements, the Canadiens, at least, are on the bench to watch. A few visiting-team players might be on their bench as well. Look for all of the Canadiens to be wearing No. 19 Robinson jerseys for the warmup; these usually are auctioned or sold for the benefit of the Montreal Canadiens Childrens Foundation.

Bell Centre doors open at 5 p.m., the warmup will follow the ceremony, the ice will be Zamboni’d (is that a verb?), and the game will begin.

I’ll update this when I know for sure, but the ceremony indeed begins at 6:30.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

57. Dan23 says:

Sucks for Kostopoulos, who played a great game on Saturday night – scored a shorthander, got into a couple of fights, laid some heavy hits…love his work ethic!

58. Naila Jinnah says:

Sportsnet East is also broadcasting the game and ceremony.

59. drecha says:

I never thought I would say this but Kostopolous will be missed, he brings great energy to the game, and he is relentless in the corners. I really have enjoyed watching him so far this year. What a nice pick up for the team.
    Gotta love the way Gainey has put this team together,
    GoHabsGo!!!

60. Fab K says:

And to think that in the preseason, everybody said “Tom Who”???

Great pick up by Gainey… IMO the best GM we’ve had for the past 10 years at least!!!

61. JF says:

I completely agree with you about Kostopoulos. A great acquisition. He will be missed tonight, and I really doubt Grabovski can fill his spot. But perhaps the plan is to use him on the third line and Begin on the fourth.

62. J.T. says:

If Zamboni’d wasn’t a verb before, it is now! I’ll be glued to the ceremony tonight. Big Bird was one of my favourites.

63. Habs_008 says:

Tommy will be missed, Will NHL Centre Ice show the Ceremony? I dont think they do, and i dont have RDS (live in the GTA) I guess i will find out tonight.

64. lance10jl says:

Center Ice is schedule to begin broadcasting at 6:30, so I assume they will show it.

65. misteral says:

RDS is available on both Rogers and Bell in the GTA. You need to get the full French package, I think it’s about $6 which is well-worth it considering you get every game!

And as others have said, Sportsnet will have it en Englais as well.

66. krob1000 says:

I am glad to hear about Higgins playing…..that was the beginning of the end last year (when he got hurt). Kostopolous…we had to expect this as it was in the last five minutes of the game. Any news on whether or not there were any Bruin suspensions (Shrek aka Chara)?

67. krob1000 says:

Did you guys see the Eric Lindros interview where he mentioned that since he has been player ombudsman he has seen four teams and one of the most discussed topics was the players desire to abolish the instigator rule. He made a point of saying that he only spoke to four teams but I think it will be unanimous and gone by next year…..check that….I know it will be gone by next year. Sorry Kosto…but Stuart will still be around next year.

68. Geoff F says:

Great news about Higgy, i hope he doesn’t himself tonight (Although the Sens aren’t too hard hitting.

Hopefully the guys get a boost from the ceremonies and play inspired hockey.

Maybe they should show the Famous Robinson hit that demolishes the boards. Might give Komisarek and the boys a little something to aspire too!!!

Again, congrats Larry well deserved jersey retirement. Looking forward to an emotional evening!

GO HABS GO!

69. Grabs says:

Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see K-Rex draw some inspiration from Robinson’s presence. God it would be terrific to bring Larry on board.

70. Dave Stubbs says:

So much of officiating is subjective, Jason. What the NHL strives for more than anything is consistency, and that (in my opinion) is sadly lacking. Chara clearly was ready to take on anyone at the end of the game, having been driven nuts by Steve Bégin the entire game. Guillaume Latendresse just happened to be his target when Latendresse came to the defence of Kovalev after the Chara elbow, a dangerous cheap shot in my view.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

71. joel says:

I completely agree… throughout this whole year, there has been no consistency by the officials… watching the games this year, calls that should have been made, were not (Habs or whoever they were playing that night).. officiating is not an easy job and it is only made tougher by the fact that the league constantly changes rules and changes the focus of what the refs are supposed to call… the league has to get its act together!! they have to step back, and let everything stablize

72. Ed says:

I am looking forward to a great game by the HABS tonight. Unfortunately, I never saw the game against the Bruins, and it sounds like I missed the best game of the year.

73. A. Berke says:

Unfortunately, yes you did.
    Hopefully our Habs will bring back the same game to the ice. They ought to for Robinson.

cheers,

Ali B.

74. Habs_008 says:

4 all u T.O Hab fans, game is on 455 if you have Centre Ice, I just got it this season, and its worth the price, I get to see every hab game. You can order RDS as well on the Rogers Box, it is cheaper then Centre Ice.

75. Scotty90 says:

Off-topic, I know but…… Montreal has to get a policeman for the team. Is J.D. King available (St-Louis I think?) doesn’t back down from anyone .. and tough as nails. put up a good show with Booguard (6’7″ on more than one occasion. or, I wouldn’t be against getting Ivanans back. I know that Chara broke his face, but I think that was somewhat of a sucker punch. The thing that gets my attention in watching the beginning of that Chara/Ivanans fight, is the look of uncertainty and almost a ,not scared but, nervous look in Chara’s face.

BG…Carbo, lets not wait for a players to get injured. Either ban fighting and dangerous hits, or obtain someone that can dish it out as well. Fight fire with fire.

76. fuhgawz says:

Ouch ban fighting ….. no no no no — would wreck the game — someone to enforce a little rule from time to time would be alright but our guys we have are doing ok …. So we lose the fight .. the team is standing up for each other (makes it a real TEAM) – glad to see the coaches blow up as well Captin Kirk/Carbo I think we are really seeing a team gel here and it is exciting to watch. ……. As far as Chara goes …. The man is a freak of nature and there are very few guys that could stand up to him and break his face……anyone in the NBA that can skate? What is Dennis Rodman up to these days?

77. A. Berke says:

I fully agree with you. The more the Habs win games the more they’ll be subject to intimidation (read cheap shots) from the other teams.

T.K. has a big heart but is small in stature. A big guy who can skate and fight would be helpful to protect the team and may even become necessary at this rate.

Ali B.

78. Wops says:

Great Move to put Chipchura center of the third line, smolinski hasn’t been playing that great.

Good to give a chance to grabovski back at center as well.

I love the move by GC

79. fuhgawz says:

Is it alright if I play devils advocate and mention someone that was not on the list?

How about Kovy being the biggest surprise ……. The man is on fire.

80. krob1000 says:

Gees T-roy….

Do we really have to fight about it…..can’t we all just get along!!!

I agree about Hamrlik being around but who ever watches Tampa (way back when they were terrible), Edmonton, the Islanders or Flames. The only decent team he ever played on was the Flames. He was my biggest surprise and I think Chipchura is exactly as billed and as I expected him to be. We will all have different answers to this question as we all had different preconceived notions about various players…..still fun though. I thought Hamrlik was an aging, somewhat slow, offensive minded liabiliy in 5 on 5 situations who may help replace Souray on PP……I was wrong….very wrong.

81. arcosenate says:

Kostitsyn is getting better and better. He is getting more confident every game. He might be just what the doctor ordered. He can skate, he can shoot and he can take several punches without even fighting back!!! Seriously, he just might put an end to the we need another scorer arguments!!

82. krob1000 says:

I only missed about three minutes of the game on Saturday and it was this whole Stuart/Kostitsyn thing. Did Kostitsyn even drop his gloves or what was the story. I know it is an obvious mismatch but was it a complete sucker attack or did Kostitsyn do something to provoke it??? Someone recap this for me please.

83. coutNY says:

I have to admit, I was nervous at the conclusion of the Boston game Julian and Carbo were fuming and you knew it was going to spill out on the Ice. Chara at least after cheap-shotting Kovy went after the biggest guy on the ice, not much of a fighter in latendresse but he could of done more damage to Kovy… If Chara would have we have nothing in the form of protection which to back up our stars safty except players that we can not afford to have off the Ice.(Komi….)

I agree with Scotty90 we need to find somebody… Even bringing up a younger guy with the open spot left by Garth Murray.. Andrew Archer for instance. Yeah he got smacked up by LaRoque but there are not many that could stand toe-to-toe with him. Well, there is the fact he’d need to pass through re-entry waivers?!!?

I am sick of fearing for players. Historically there has always been a enforcer type, maybe the role would be less of a heavy-weight type but someone like Kostopolus but bigger! Light heavy weight!?!?

84. Naila Jinnah says:

Family Guy and the Habs? Awesome!!

85. T-roy West says:

I’ll have to disagree with you a little Krob1000, I think Chipchura is definately the biggest surprise this year over Hamrlik. Everyone should have known pretty much what your going to get from Hamrlik because he has been in the league for awhile, though he is playing better than ever! But Chipchura is really turning some heads. He is almost flawless when it comes to defence and I don’t know if people are seeing what I’m seeing but he has some really good moves and soft hands around the net and see’s the ice really well. He has better offensive instincts than alot of guy’s on the team and he has a great second gear to boot. I could totally see him on a scoring line against tuff checking teams. All of this from a first year player. Yeah he is definately my vote!!!
    T-roy West Go Habs GO

86. fuhgawz says:

T-roy if you ever get a group together in the west like they do in Montreal let me know…… being from Sask I agree with you about us (fans in the west) looking on the outside in….nothing against anyone personally it is just the way the media seems to be here —- Only exposure to the Laffs, Oilers, Flames, Vancouver —- why the Laffs I have no idea …. It dam near makes me sick to my stomach.

87. belair57 says:

My opinion, forget Grabs at center, He is defensively liable. Too bad for Kosto. Chara should have received at least one game for his tactics. Oh well.. this is the NHL with double standards.
    It will be an exciting game tonight. Our Habs will win regardless who is in nets.
    Carbo did get fined $10000 (automatic according to the NHL rules)
    We do need a enforncer on this team, and I am sure after Saturdays game BG might do something about it.

88. krob1000 says:

Yeah, Kovalev has been great this year and he seems to have matured into a team player. I was a little miffed on Saturday when he stayed on for the entire powerplay when he had a chance to get off but maybe he was supposed to stay.