Kostopoulos suspended, Higgins OK to go

Forward Tom Kostopoulos has drawn a one-game suspension for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday’s Canadiens-Bruins game. With 47 seconds to play, Kostopoulos went after Boston’s Mark Stuart, who earlier in the period had fought Andrei Kostitsyn. Head coach Guy Carbonneau also drew an automatic NHL-imposed $10,000 fine, but don’t think that’s coming out of Carbo’s pocket.

Mikhail Grabovski will be in the lineup tonight with Kostopoulos out against the Ottawa Senators. Christopher Higgins will be in uniform tonight, despite having limped through much of Saturday’s game with what appeared to be a left ankle injury.

Defenceman Josh Gorges yields his place of Saturday to Patrice Brisebois, and Cristobal Huet gets the start in goal.

1. piche says:

agree on Chipchura… just posted something similar before reading your comment. :-)

2. piche says:

About Theo: He is an amazing athlete (ligthning fast) but his size hurts him most. He has to work for every save. I remember talking about him with a goalie friend of mine after he won the heart & vezna. He said that Theo is too small and that once players got used to playing against him he would not do as well. Then the NHL added the restrictions on goalie equipment which made things worse. Funny thing is – my buddy is a Colorado fan (from the Nordiques days).

3. piche says:

I agree with Chipchura. I had him billed as a hardworking defensive minded player. His offensive skills have suprised me the most (although not on the scoresheet).

Hamrlik second.

I would also throw Striet into the mix. I have been suprised by how well he passes and mans the point. One of my favorite players to watch.

4. Naila Jinnah says:

Chipper gets my vote!

5. Brennan says:

The biggest surprise for me has been the play of Chipchura. I thought he was going to make by far many more “rookie mistakes.” But he has made few of them and actually looks like a veteran the way he plays the game. I knew Kostitsyn had the capabilities to produce offense, but the really big surprise to me this season is the difference Brisebois makes when he is on the ice. He makes breaking out look easy.

6. krob1000 says:

I think the only reason Gorges was in the lineup was because they didn’t want to play Patrice in a back to back situation (or maybe he was aching…I dunno). My guess would be the back to back and my gut tells me to expect the same this weekend in our back to back against Buffalo.

7. nightmare_49 says:

As the best surprise for me this year : It would have to be Hamrlik as i didn’t know he could slow the game and speed it up nicely with very few errors and a write in vote for Kostopoulos as runner up as his all around play has improved under Carbo’s system. The others in the group were what i expected.

8. mjames says:

I think you might need to have Chuck bring a step ladder. I think he is around 5’4″. mjames

9. Geoff F says:

Bill H, you should be able to catch the game on the SOPCAST P2P utility. I’m from TOronto too and i am hoping i can get the feed on teh Internet tonight as i don’t want to miss out on the ceremony either.

Hopefully that works for you!

GO HABS GO

10. JasonM says:

I can’t believe that Chara didn’t get at least a game for his antics Saturday night. It is quite clear that he went head-hunting as his team was being routed, the same team (the captain of the team to empthasize my point) that was advocating caution when dealing with hits to the head due to what happened to Patrice Bergeron. How Chara went after the opposing team’s best player’s head and then promptly assaulted the first player to come near him after commiting such an act didn’t merit a suspension is beyond me. Are they really that hopeless? Am I being biased as a Habs fan Dave?

Cheers

11. fuhgawz says:

in reply to your question – Chipchura he has been impressive all season so far ……. i agree with Kostitsyn as well he is getting better each game

12. krob1000 says:

KerryPrice….I am afraid your name reveals your bias. I sure is great that we all can’t even agree on our teams most pleasant surprise. I agree that Kostitsyn has been good as of late but after the training camp he had his first 15 games were not a pleasant surprise. Lately he has been a legitimate top six forward and looking very comfortable. He was just lacking a little confidence. Confidence is one of the most important factors in a players success or failure and a perfect example is Ryders bouncing back after scoring our lone goal against Buffalo. He was a man on a mission after that. Plekanec is another example. Higgins has the mental training and ability to battle through his slump so I am not so concerned about him as I was with Ryder. I still say Hamrilk…..for now.

13. Kevin says:

And all this despite the fact that he’s playing with Brisebois. Imagine if he was paired with Komisarek!

14. saskhab says:

Hmm, must’ve changed that. Earlier it was the opposite.

Seems a more consistent ruling, then. I was confused why one was punished and not the other if they did indeed agree with the refs.

Hopefully the players take up a collection and give Carbo his money back!

15. Kevin says:

I was just about to post the same comment! I don’t know how they beat out Detroit, but Go Habs!

16. WindsorHab-10 says:

I don’t understand benching Gorges in favor of Brisebois. The kid had a very good game Saturday and we’re much better with him in the line-up. I’m assuming Gorges is a scratch because Patrice is in.

17. WindsorHab-10 says:

Don’t mean to burst your bubble but I think Price should be the go to guy tonight. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

18. KerryPrice says:

I would have to go with Price and Kostitsyn being the most pleasant surprizes for Le Habitant. Not taking anything away from Kyle ( freddy) Chipchura. Markov is playing the best hockey of his career. Kovie looks like he wants to win again and it`s rubbing off on his linemates. The additions of Kostopolos , Smolinski and Hamerlik left most of us , including myself scratching our head all summer. All 3 have surprized me. Who needs Ryan Smyth, who needs Danny Briere have fun in Philly and Colorado. Nice to see Jose Theodore turning his career around though. I always liked that guy.

19. krob1000 says:

Enough jibber jabber jibberjabber Brisebois has been very solid this year (outside of his first couple games after missing most of training camp).

20. KerryPrice says:

21. jibberjabber says:

Good news and bad news. Higgins is ok, Breezer back in line-up

22. krob1000 says:

Sorry Ryder I always forget to use the reply button.

23. krob1000 says:

Hamrlik in a landslide!!!

Chipchura is exactly what we expected and Kostitsyn may be the winner by years end but as of now it has to be Hamrlik. None of us knew how well rounded his game was and the impact he would have on our team in both ends of the rink. I think it is his presence that is also helping to raise Markov’s game to the next level (can you say Norris Trophy) by eating serious minutes against other teams top lines as well. Knowing that for the 80 percent of the game that we will have either Markov or Hamrlik on the ice is also a big reason we are seeing more offense this year than in years past.

24. drecha says:

Anybody see TSN’s Power rankings? The Habs are ranked 2 behind Ottawa!! They are actually getting a little bit of recogniton!! Hopefully they can beat the Sens tonight and pull ahead of them in next weeks Rankings!
    Here is the link.

GoHabsGo!!!

25. Bill H says:

It would be great if the Habs could manhandle the Sens tonight. Sorry I can’t watch the game, much less the pregame ceremony, being from Toronto it is not available. I think they get RDS and show Habs games at Boy Meets Grill bar in the Annex. Maybe stop by and see if it is on. Any posters want to meet up and get together?

Webmaster: I am on Internet Explorer and Windows XP. The earlier problem with all the posts running into the dark blue area on the right hand side seems to have been corrected for the most part. However, the margins of the posts are not consistent. Most are okay, but 2 above, one by Sask Habsfan and the other by krob1000, the margins are not correct and the text is lost on the right hand side.

26. KerryPrice says:

I think Chara shoulda got a game for his antics Sat night. good to hear Higgi is alright when i saw him limping off the ice Saturday reminded me of when he broke his ankle last season after such a good start to his season. I`m willing to bet that it`s gonna be Huet vs Emery tonight. I hope to see Komiserick and Neil square off.Koivu , Ryder and Higgi are gonna rip er up tonight, hopefully. Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!

27. TradeRyder says:

Hope that Grabs is in – it’ll be a high-flying game for sure!
    Friend of mine were talking hockey over beer and this question came up:

QUESTION: who’s been the best surprise this year:

A) Chipchura
    B) Kostitsyn
    C) Hamrlik
    D) Grabovski
    E) Price

… could be any, but I go with Chipchura. 2nd, Kostitsyn.

____________________________________________________

28. petemoss says:

According to TSN, Carbo did get a fine…

29. fuhgawz says:

before i am corrected ….. it should have read …. we’re
    a hell of a lot stronger ……..

30. saskhab says:

No fines according to TSN for either Kostopolous or Carbonneau, just the one game suspension for Tom.

Any word on lines yet? Will both Grabovski and Latendresse be flanking Chipchura on a “young guns” line?

Grabovski needs to play, but it does suck it’s at the expense of Tom.

Yeah, the Sens are due to lose 2 straight at some point… right? And we’re due to win a jersey retirement game at some point… right? How about a 2-fer?

31. fuhgawz says:

AK27 let’er rip tonight !!!! We need to win the face-off battle tonight, puck possession is going to be key. If we can be strong on the puck in the corners and win the battles along the boards we can definitely beat this team…….. After all the Laffs applied pressure and got the win this way —– I am sure we can as well …… were a hell of a lot stronger as a team then Toronto. Glad to see Higgy is go to go.

Giver her hard tonight boys ….. win this one for Larry

32. teamplayer says:

huet vs ryder… got it from tsn ice chips

33. MrSieve33 says:

Haven’t heard anything about this yet. Have Carbo and the Canadiens been fined for Kostopouloss’instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday’s game?

34. Sbah Reverof says:

Huet to play tonight, unless something has changed that I’m not aware of.
    Congratulations, Larry!

35. fuhgawz says:

have been waiting to hear that myself —- Anyone … any ideas?

36. krob1000 says:

Gerber vs. Huet …..my guess. There is no way Price starts for us tonight and I think Emery is still hurting a bit and the Sens are riding Gerber until they are 100% certain that Emery is 100%. Emery will be back this week but not tonight. Huet tonight for us though……should be anyway. If I were betting I would say Huet tonight and against the Isles and Price on Friday against Buffalo with Huet playing on Saturday gainst Buffalo. I believe the coaches will stay true to their original plan with Price.

37. Habs_008 says:

More then Likely its Huet, he played well against the sens the last time, I would like to see Huet play.

38. Sask Habs Fan says:

Too bad about Kostopy. Much needed grit that our team so dearly needs game in and game out. I just wish he was about a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier so next time they play the Bruins he could rearrange the placement of Chara’s nose. That guy needs a serious pounding. Don’t know of many capable of giving him one though. Maybe he’ll slash Crosby the next time they play Pitts and Georges can give him a concussion by bouncing his brain off the inside of his skull a few times. Hate is a strong word, but I can definitely say I hate Chara. I say sign Chuck Norris to a one game contract for when we play Boston next. Let him take care of that big goon.

GO HABS GO! Time for the Senators to lose 2 in a row!
    ____________________________________________
    Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas.

39. Naila Jinnah says:

Out of curiosity, any word on the goalies?