Kostitsyn the Younger called up

Maurice and Henri Richard. Frank and Peter Mahovlich. Larry and Moe Robinson. Stéphane and Patrick Lebeau.

And now, Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Canadiens make a late-afternoon announcement:

MONTREAL – The Canadiens announced Wednesday that forward Sergei Kostitsyn has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

Third-leading scorer among AHL rookies, Kostitsyn leads the Bulldogs with 22 points (6 goals, 16 assists) in as many games (22), with a plus-2 rating, 18 penalty minutes and a .180 shooting percentage.

A seventh round pick by the Canadiens in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Kostitsyn tallied 131 points (40 goals, 91 assist) in 59 games with the OHL London Knights in 2006-07.

Kostitsyn will join the Canadiens in Philadelphia for Thursday’s game against the Flyers.

Colleague Pat Hickey saw the London Knights during the OHL playoffs last spring. London coach Dale Hunter, who had a long and fruitful career (ask any Canadiens fan) in the league, said of his three star players – Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner and Kostitsyn – the Belarussian was the most NHL-ready.

Kane, the number one choice in this year’s draft, is starring in Chicago.

Gagner, another first-rounder, is having a good year in Edmonton.

And now it’s Kostitsyn’s turn to show what he can do at this level.

1. Chuck says:

Haha! You kill me! Streit makes a slow line line change, and it’s Brisebois’ fault?! You guys will find any reason to blame the guy, won’t you?

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

2. A. Berke says:

Didn’t know that the Rangers were so generous

Ali B.

3. Smart Dog says:

Well said!

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

4. Wops says:

Corey Locke is unfortunately tag AHL player.

5’9, 168, no skate, and was not able to put up 1ppg in the AHL in the past 4 years.

_______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

5. Wops says:

Let’s just hope he calls it a career
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

6. saku11 says:

yeah it’s way better. The glasses really do make you look like a smart dog.

7. RiverviewCanadien says:

Ryder holds the puck more than Koivu

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

yes but the plecks line should be number 1

Tommy- Well i can only guess were and how he will be used. The way they call the games now, small men can play, IF they keep there feet moving and play with a big heart!

10. Yeats says:

I really like the new picture!

11. Blitzen says:

Honestly now, let’s say that things REALLY begin to look up with the youth movement. What do you think will happen when Smokes is ready to come back?

12. ebk says:

Had to toss him in to make the line work.

He has done his job this year

13. linp says:

I could live with that although I found very good chemistry has been developed between Plekanec and Kostitsyn1. If the Kostitsyn brothers play well together, it could be a good combination also.

14. Blitzen says:

Do you honestly think we could get Lecavalier AND another player for that group of stiffs?

15. MNaslund26 says:

What is up with those of you wanting to trade koivu? Last night he led the team in shots and set up countless opportunities for his linemates. He has done so consistently for years as well. If we ever lose such a graceful and hard working captain, we would have no one to pick up the slack that koivu so bravely and ardently takes upon himself night after night. Some of you are so cutthroat it makes me sick to my stomach. The only reason the team is slumping is because they have no one coaching them in the right direction. Carbo coaches with his heart on his sleeve and usually leaves his head at home. While i think he was a great player and a good person to have behind you, he is too emotionally attached to this franchise and would probably do quite well coaching elsewehere. I think there is only one person who can truly save this team from its continuously dismal style of play. He did it two years ago when he stepped out of the press box and put himself behind the bench. Coach Gainey anyone?

16. TommyB says:

Ian Cobb,
    You deserve better treatment that that last reply…your sarcasm has not been lost on me.

And…would a small Locke be much different than what we have now? I don’t care what size our present forwards are…they play small!!!

17. RS says:

Play the young guys, including Gorges. Who cares if we win? At least we would be building something. And let them learn from their mistakes, don’t punish them. O’Bryne should not have been benched after his big srew up. Get him back out there.

Just for the record folks, Sergei is not Patrick Kane.

18. RS says:

Locke: listed as 5’8” or 5’9” and 171-175 with 17 points in 22 games.
    Kostitsym: 5’11” 196 and 22 points in 22 games.

There are enough real issues to complain about, don’t start trying to manufacture crap.

19. ebk says:

well it is better than Gainey’s FA signings….

a lot of hype and excrement, no results

20. MatttheHabsFan says:

I’m pretty sure that if the Bolts were to trade the current best player in the world, it would not be for a guy with 3 goals, a current backup, a 6th defenseman and a pick…sorry

21. TommyB says:

Now, you make sense….and that scenario is really scaring me. (not that you make sense, but what you are saying)

22. Fabio D says:

Not exactly stellar numbers in the AHL.

It doesn’t translate to any success in the NHL. I hope the fans and media don;t get TOO excited about this call up.

It’ll be the like the O’Byrne and Lapierre call up, a lot of hype and excitement, no results.

Gainey needs a trade or a wiaver wire pick up. Should have jumped on Recchi when he had the chance.

Or make the trade, package Ryder, Halak and Bouillon and pick in next years draft for Lecavalier and a D-Man.

Here’s hoping for a change.

23. TommyB says:

Regardless of where we would like to see S.Kostitsyn play…when has a call-up ever played on the first line? I’m not asking you who is best to play on the first line, I’m asking you “when has a call-up ever played on the first line?” Think about that. Don’t just think Habs, think all of the NHL. It doesn’t happen. Now if it does happen,…just what the hell have we got here? How many straws do we have to grasp at? How dysfunctional are we?

I’m not against this call-up, in fact I welcome it. But, I don’t see where S.Kostitsyn would fit in with the present lines, so, here we go again with a complete lines makeover. I’m getting very nervouse here, and it’s not S.Kostitsyn that’s making me nervous!

24. mrstewart61 says:

No, we pay six figures for Streit.

25. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

he’ll start on the 4th line…thats the most probable place for him to commence his baptism into the DEFENSIVE system…just like Chip has been thwarted down there.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

Cory Locke gets no mention ? UM , maybe to much offence for him to coach??

But will Carbo turn him loose to play his game or tie him down to a defensive game and deflate him like he seems to have done to the rest of the team?????

28. Chimpanjesus says:

I agree. This, however should spark some energy into the team and at least amek them compete against the Flyers and Leafs. These are critical games that we have to win to stop the bleeding. I also anticipate a trade by the weekend.

29. Cable Guy says:

Well we either need him and I hope thats the reason or he’s the prospect san jose wants included in a trade and they want to see him play an NHL game so we had to bring him up. Well see I guess.

30. drecha says:

I think there might be a mild overreaction here, I saw him play with London last year and yes he is a very good player, but you are making it sound like he is the answer to all of the problems that the habs are going through. I doubt that he will be coming up from the AHL and playing on the first line in his first NHL game (He is not a defenceman LOL). I hope he will add a spark but I can’t see him making a huge impact. I hope he proves me wrong though.

GoHabsGo!!!

31. AdamG says:

love the move. hopefully he plays tomorrow.

let’s get younger…

32. doogie says:

Ohhhhh boy! Now we can trade Ryder to the Rangers for a couple of green fees at the Westchester Country Club, a couple of cuban cigars and a couple of extra hot latte’s…..!!

33. MathMan says:

With so much KO power, we don’t need no stinkin’ goon!

34. the_prestigitator says:

finally! he may be the solution for the first line!

35. Smart Dog says:

Let’s just rename the team the Montreal Bulldogs!

When they start winning in 2012 we can call them the Habs again.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

36. doogie says:

Bang on my friend! Ryder, Kostopoulos, Smoles, Koivu, Breezy all fall victim to “our plan”. Bring up Matt Dagostini too! If we’re gunna lose, let’s do it with the young guns.

Thanks for the great heart Koivu, you’re a Champ, but you’re too small and get knocked off the puck constantly. It’s time.

Could we please start playing for John whatshisname from the Oshawa Gens!

37. Hot_Pie says:

Oh Ryder watch out,
    You better not cry
    You better not pout,
    I’m telling you why:
    Sergei Tits is coming to town!

38. Smart Dog says:

That’s the problem. Veterans with bad habits teach bad habits. How long will it take to undo the damage Breezer’s done?

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

39. linp says:

This is a very good start. I want to see change, win or lose. Carbo has been playing a very defensive system. All three coaches are putting defense first. The opponent has the puck most of the time and we have no outlet passes.

Our play in our own zone needs to improve a lot. We have to control the puck and move it out. Our 2nd line is more effective because we have both Kovy and Plekanec who can carry the puck through the neutral zone. For our 1st line, it is up to Koivu to carry the puck out and feed the winger.

I want to see S. Kostitsyn playing in the 1st line. If he can skate into position to receive Koivu’s passes, he can then worked with Higgins down low.

I hope Carbo finally changes his “system”.

Recently, our 1st line didn’t have the puck most of the time. They were just chasing after the opponents in our own zone. No matter whom you put out there, they are not going to score. What we need to do is: when we gain control of the puck in our zone, don’t just throw it around the board or dump it out blindly. Pass the puck to Koivu and let him start the counter attack.

40. Kevin says:

Seems like the Montreal Canadiens are now really the Hamilton Bulldogs as Hamilton has 50% + 1.

41. oshawahabsfan says:

It’s about f-in time is all I have to say, kick out the old bums who can’t score and bring in the young guns that can. Guy had better put the two brothers together on a line at some point. I’d say after the Philly game let them practice together and then let em loose against the Leafs saturday night.

42. Blitzen says:

$5 says Carbo plays him in net.

And he better not cough up the puck once or they’ll send him back to London.

43. Kevin says:

It would be nice to see him on the first line. After calling up S. Kost, it seems like we’ve almost exhausted the offensive talent pool in Hamilton.

The Habs now have S. Kost, A. Kost, R. O’Byrne, M. Lapierre, K. Chipchura, G. Latendresse, C. Price, J. Halak. If you add C. Higgins and T. Plekanec since they’re only in their 3rd season and Mark Streit who’s in his 2nd season, that’s 11 rookies/almost rookie players in the lineup for Montreal. That’s 55% of the lineup right there!!!!! A lot of guys who were in AHL/Junior recently.

44. showey47 says:

I know what you mean, streit had a good start to the season but now he looks like a younger brisbois. Hopefully he can rebound because for us to win we need everybody pulling in the same direction

45. yukonhab says:

This might give some ability for us to be OFFENSIVE, plus provide a lot more speed up front. I hope Sergi plays with Higgins and Saku.

46. Smart Dog says:

Hey, I really like your books.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

47. Smart Dog says:

The Saku-tits line!
    _________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

48. Smart Dog says:

I don’t know what it is about Streit but he drives me crazy. Last night in the first period coming off a line change he slowly drifted to the bench while the Bolts were crossing the neutral zone. You could see the other D-man eager to leap on the ice. We pay seven figures for that garbage?

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

49. Kilgore Trout says:

great news – i’ve been waiting all season for sergei and maxim to get the call.

50. Wops says:

We just Love players with their last name starting with KO in MTl…

Koivu
    Kovalev
    Kostitsyn
    Kostitsyn
    Kostopolous
    Komisarek…

we are just missing Kovalchuk..
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

51. showey47 says:

lmao agreed, having 1 is just plain creepy. almost as creepy as having 3

52. yukonhab says:

Yes Yes Yes….thank you lord….finally!
    Two Tits are better than one!

GO HABS GO!

53. showey47 says:

If sergei is playing tomorrow night that must mean streit is going back to defence and with breezy hurt does this mean gorges is still in the pressbox? I would like to see gorges get more ice time he could so the same job as bouillon at one-third the price.

54. Steiner says:

this should be interesting.

55. illusion8055 says:

Should be interesting indeed! I’m pumped… but when are we trading Koivu??

56. showey47 says:

Definatly curious about how he will be used tomorrow night. If carbo has any brains it will be on the top 2 lines. But since our fourth line gets almost as much ice time as the first line, ah well we’ve beaten this topic like a rented mule.