Kostitsyn the Younger called up

Maurice and Henri Richard. Frank and Peter Mahovlich. Larry and Moe Robinson. Stéphane and Patrick Lebeau.

And now, Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Canadiens make a late-afternoon announcement:

MONTREAL – The Canadiens announced Wednesday that forward Sergei Kostitsyn has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

Third-leading scorer among AHL rookies, Kostitsyn leads the Bulldogs with 22 points (6 goals, 16 assists) in as many games (22), with a plus-2 rating, 18 penalty minutes and a .180 shooting percentage.

A seventh round pick by the Canadiens in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Kostitsyn tallied 131 points (40 goals, 91 assist) in 59 games with the OHL London Knights in 2006-07.

Kostitsyn will join the Canadiens in Philadelphia for Thursday’s game against the Flyers.

Colleague Pat Hickey saw the London Knights during the OHL playoffs last spring. London coach Dale Hunter, who had a long and fruitful career (ask any Canadiens fan) in the league, said of his three star players – Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner and Kostitsyn – the Belarussian was the most NHL-ready.

Kane, the number one choice in this year’s draft, is starring in Chicago.

Gagner, another first-rounder, is having a good year in Edmonton.

And now it’s Kostitsyn’s turn to show what he can do at this level.

1. Chuck says:

Haha! You kill me! Streit makes a slow line line change, and it’s Brisebois’ fault?! You guys will find any reason to blame the guy, won’t you?

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

2. A. Berke says:

Didn’t know that the Rangers were so generous

Ali B.

3. Smart Dog says:

Well said!

4. Wops says:

Corey Locke is unfortunately tag AHL player.

5’9, 168, no skate, and was not able to put up 1ppg in the AHL in the past 4 years.

5. Wops says:

Let’s just hope he calls it a career

6. saku11 says:

yeah it’s way better. The glasses really do make you look like a smart dog.

7. RiverviewCanadien says:

Ryder holds the puck more than Koivu

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

yes but the plecks line should be number 1

Tommy- Well i can only guess were and how he will be used. The way they call the games now, small men can play, IF they keep there feet moving and play with a big heart!

10. Yeats says:

I really like the new picture!

11. Blitzen says:

Honestly now, let’s say that things REALLY begin to look up with the youth movement. What do you think will happen when Smokes is ready to come back?

12. ebk says:

Had to toss him in to make the line work.

He has done his job this year

13. linp says:

I could live with that although I found very good chemistry has been developed between Plekanec and Kostitsyn1. If the Kostitsyn brothers play well together, it could be a good combination also.

14. Blitzen says:

Do you honestly think we could get Lecavalier AND another player for that group of stiffs?

15. MNaslund26 says:

What is up with those of you wanting to trade koivu? Last night he led the team in shots and set up countless opportunities for his linemates. He has done so consistently for years as well. If we ever lose such a graceful and hard working captain, we would have no one to pick up the slack that koivu so bravely and ardently takes upon himself night after night. Some of you are so cutthroat it makes me sick to my stomach. The only reason the team is slumping is because they have no one coaching them in the right direction. Carbo coaches with his heart on his sleeve and usually leaves his head at home. While i think he was a great player and a good person to have behind you, he is too emotionally attached to this franchise and would probably do quite well coaching elsewehere. I think there is only one person who can truly save this team from its continuously dismal style of play. He did it two years ago when he stepped out of the press box and put himself behind the bench. Coach Gainey anyone?

16. TommyB says:

Ian Cobb,
    You deserve better treatment that that last reply…your sarcasm has not been lost on me.

And…would a small Locke be much different than what we have now? I don’t care what size our present forwards are…they play small!!!

17. RS says:

Play the young guys, including Gorges. Who cares if we win? At least we would be building something. And let them learn from their mistakes, don’t punish them. O’Bryne should not have been benched after his big srew up. Get him back out there.

Just for the record folks, Sergei is not Patrick Kane.

18. RS says:

Locke: listed as 5’8” or 5’9” and 171-175 with 17 points in 22 games.
    Kostitsym: 5’11” 196 and 22 points in 22 games.

There are enough real issues to complain about, don’t start trying to manufacture crap.

19. ebk says:

well it is better than Gainey’s FA signings….

a lot of hype and excrement, no results

20. MatttheHabsFan says:

I’m pretty sure that if the Bolts were to trade the current best player in the world, it would not be for a guy with 3 goals, a current backup, a 6th defenseman and a pick…sorry

21. TommyB says:

Now, you make sense….and that scenario is really scaring me. (not that you make sense, but what you are saying)

22. Fabio D says:

Not exactly stellar numbers in the AHL.

It doesn’t translate to any success in the NHL. I hope the fans and media don;t get TOO excited about this call up.

It’ll be the like the O’Byrne and Lapierre call up, a lot of hype and excitement, no results.

Gainey needs a trade or a wiaver wire pick up. Should have jumped on Recchi when he had the chance.

Or make the trade, package Ryder, Halak and Bouillon and pick in next years draft for Lecavalier and a D-Man.

Here’s hoping for a change.

23. TommyB says:

Regardless of where we would like to see S.Kostitsyn play…when has a call-up ever played on the first line? I’m not asking you who is best to play on the first line, I’m asking you “when has a call-up ever played on the first line?” Think about that. Don’t just think Habs, think all of the NHL. It doesn’t happen. Now if it does happen,…just what the hell have we got here? How many straws do we have to grasp at? How dysfunctional are we?

I’m not against this call-up, in fact I welcome it. But, I don’t see where S.Kostitsyn would fit in with the present lines, so, here we go again with a complete lines makeover. I’m getting very nervouse here, and it’s not S.Kostitsyn that’s making me nervous!

24. mrstewart61 says:

No, we pay six figures for Streit.

25. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

he’ll start on the 4th line…thats the most probable place for him to commence his baptism into the DEFENSIVE system…just like Chip has been thwarted down there.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

Cory Locke gets no mention ? UM , maybe to much offence for him to coach??

But will Carbo turn him loose to play his game or tie him down to a defensive game and deflate him like he seems to have done to the rest of the team?????

28. Chimpanjesus says:

I agree. This, however should spark some energy into the team and at least amek them compete against the Flyers and Leafs. These are critical games that we have to win to stop the bleeding. I also anticipate a trade by the weekend.

29. Cable Guy says:

Well we either need him and I hope thats the reason or he’s the prospect san jose wants included in a trade and they want to see him play an NHL game so we had to bring him up. Well see I guess.

30. drecha says:

I think there might be a mild overreaction here, I saw him play with London last year and yes he is a very good player, but you are making it sound like he is the answer to all of the problems that the habs are going through. I doubt that he will be coming up from the AHL and playing on the first line in his first NHL game (He is not a defenceman LOL). I hope he will add a spark but I can’t see him making a huge impact. I hope he proves me wrong though.

GoHabsGo!!!

31. AdamG says:

love the move. hopefully he plays tomorrow.

let’s get younger…

32. doogie says:

Ohhhhh boy! Now we can trade Ryder to the Rangers for a couple of green fees at the Westchester Country Club, a couple of cuban cigars and a couple of extra hot latte’s…..!!

33. MathMan says:

With so much KO power, we don’t need no stinkin’ goon!

34. the_prestigitator says:

finally! he may be the solution for the first line!

35. Smart Dog says:

Let’s just rename the team the Montreal Bulldogs!

When they start winning in 2012 we can call them the Habs again.

36. doogie says:

Bang on my friend! Ryder, Kostopoulos, Smoles, Koivu, Breezy all fall victim to “our plan”. Bring up Matt Dagostini too! If we’re gunna lose, let’s do it with the young guns.

Thanks for the great heart Koivu, you’re a Champ, but you’re too small and get knocked off the puck constantly. It’s time.

Could we please start playing for John whatshisname from the Oshawa Gens!

37. Hot_Pie says:

Oh Ryder watch out,
    You better not cry
    You better not pout,
    I’m telling you why:
    Sergei Tits is coming to town!

38. Smart Dog says:

That’s the problem. Veterans with bad habits teach bad habits. How long will it take to undo the damage Breezer’s done?

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

39. linp says:

This is a very good start. I want to see change, win or lose. Carbo has been playing a very defensive system. All three coaches are putting defense first. The opponent has the puck most of the time and we have no outlet passes.

Our play in our own zone needs to improve a lot. We have to control the puck and move it out. Our 2nd line is more effective because we have both Kovy and Plekanec who can carry the puck through the neutral zone. For our 1st line, it is up to Koivu to carry the puck out and feed the winger.

I want to see S. Kostitsyn playing in the 1st line. If he can skate into position to receive Koivu’s passes, he can then worked with Higgins down low.

I hope Carbo finally changes his “system”.

Recently, our 1st line didn’t have the puck most of the time. They were just chasing after the opponents in our own zone. No matter whom you put out there, they are not going to score. What we need to do is: when we gain control of the puck in our zone, don’t just throw it around the board or dump it out blindly. Pass the puck to Koivu and let him start the counter attack.

40. Kevin says:

Seems like the Montreal Canadiens are now really the Hamilton Bulldogs as Hamilton has 50% + 1.

41. oshawahabsfan says:

It’s about f-in time is all I have to say, kick out the old bums who can’t score and bring in the young guns that can. Guy had better put the two brothers together on a line at some point. I’d say after the Philly game let them practice together and then let em loose against the Leafs saturday night.

42. Blitzen says:

$5 says Carbo plays him in net.

And he better not cough up the puck once or they’ll send him back to London.

43. Kevin says:

It would be nice to see him on the first line. After calling up S. Kost, it seems like we’ve almost exhausted the offensive talent pool in Hamilton.

The Habs now have S. Kost, A. Kost, R. O’Byrne, M. Lapierre, K. Chipchura, G. Latendresse, C. Price, J. Halak. If you add C. Higgins and T. Plekanec since they’re only in their 3rd season and Mark Streit who’s in his 2nd season, that’s 11 rookies/almost rookie players in the lineup for Montreal. That’s 55% of the lineup right there!!!!! A lot of guys who were in AHL/Junior recently.

44. showey47 says:

I know what you mean, streit had a good start to the season but now he looks like a younger brisbois. Hopefully he can rebound because for us to win we need everybody pulling in the same direction

45. yukonhab says:

This might give some ability for us to be OFFENSIVE, plus provide a lot more speed up front. I hope Sergi plays with Higgins and Saku.

46. Smart Dog says:

Hey, I really like your books.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

47. Smart Dog says:

The Saku-tits line!
    _________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

48. Smart Dog says:

I don’t know what it is about Streit but he drives me crazy. Last night in the first period coming off a line change he slowly drifted to the bench while the Bolts were crossing the neutral zone. You could see the other D-man eager to leap on the ice. We pay seven figures for that garbage?

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

49. Kilgore Trout says:

great news – i’ve been waiting all season for sergei and maxim to get the call.

50. Wops says:

We just Love players with their last name starting with KO in MTl…

Koivu
    Kovalev
    Kostitsyn
    Kostitsyn
    Kostopolous
    Komisarek…

we are just missing Kovalchuk..

51. showey47 says:

lmao agreed, having 1 is just plain creepy. almost as creepy as having 3

52. yukonhab says:

Yes Yes Yes….thank you lord….finally!
    Two Tits are better than one!

GO HABS GO!

53. showey47 says:

If sergei is playing tomorrow night that must mean streit is going back to defence and with breezy hurt does this mean gorges is still in the pressbox? I would like to see gorges get more ice time he could so the same job as bouillon at one-third the price.

54. Steiner says:

this should be interesting.

55. illusion8055 says:

Should be interesting indeed! I’m pumped… but when are we trading Koivu??

56. showey47 says:

Definatly curious about how he will be used tomorrow night. If carbo has any brains it will be on the top 2 lines. But since our fourth line gets almost as much ice time as the first line, ah well we’ve beaten this topic like a rented mule.

57. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I guess Carb was here doing some reading!
    This is much needed good news…we’ve been saying it for weeks now, Obyrne, kostyjr…

Believe me, Bris is not hurt…its respect for a veteran, thats the way the class of Hockey handle things…I’d go so far as saying Smolink isn’t hurt either, although Begin probably could use the rest on that shoulder.

This is how they sit a veteran without embarrasing him.

now its up to the youth movement BIG TIME….they got their shot.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

58. Wops says:

the ASS line? why not the KKK?

59. Smart Dog says:

I thought that would be the ‘tits line.

Or the 2 tits line.

Or the Saku-tits line.

Okay, now I’m banned.

Bad dog.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grabarfski!

60. sidhu says:

This is great news! I was beginning to think the Habs would call up J.P. Cote or Joel Bouchard to play forward.

A.Kost-S.Koivu-S.Kost (the ASS line)
    Higgins-Pleks-Kovalev
    Lats-Chipper-Ryder
    Kosto-Lapierre-Dandy

61. The Teacher says:

HUH? what? ANOTHER rookie being called up…and it’s ???SERGEI???

Did I wake up and go to work in an alternate universe today? Or did I just come home to one?

62. saku11 says:

I like both of those combos. Hopefully they’ll send Carbo down before the game tomorrow. Then Koivu can be a player/coach and his first move will be to have the top six forwards play top six minutes.

63. Hot_Pie says:

Yes!! Sergei Titties! It’s about time.

Higgins – Koivu – Kovalev
    A. Tits – Plek – S. Tits

or even

Higgins – Koivu – S. Tits
    A. Tits – Plek – Kovalev

Can’t wait to see how it works out! He’s probably going to end up on the third line though, knowing Carbot.

64. johnny boy says:

News Flash:
    PK Subban has made the world Junior team ahead of some big name, first round selections from last summer, include # 8 pick Keaton Ellerby… on another note, Ryan McDonough did not make the US team

65. Wops says:

I am not to worried about McDonagh, the D-corps of the US is amazing. Hey, Carey did not make the cut the first year either… McDonagh will be good.

Better than being cut three times in a row…

66. joe-hab-nuno says:

Maurice and Henri Richard
    Frank and Peter Mahovlich
    Larry and Moe Robinson
    Stéphane and Patrick Lebeau.

And now Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn.

Others

Turgeons Pierre and Sylvain……….not at the same time

Wish we could have had Claude and Mario Lemieux…….well i thought they were brothers in the begining

67. Smart Dog says:

Way to go PK!!! That’s our boy!

Hey, does PK stand for penalty kill?

68. Smart Dog says:

Some pretty nify customization going on here.

“Flag as offensive” is a good idea! How about “Flag as stupid.”!

Uh… just kidding guys… just kidding. I don wanna get flagged….

69. Smart Dog says:

SNAP POLL:

The Canadiens obviously need to make a move and if things don’t suddenly change (yeah, right) they will.

If you were GM which of these would be your preferred FIRST MOVE?

1. Sign Huet for at least another year, but move Koivu and Kovalev. Both contracts are up in 09, and building the team around these guys has not been a success. Trade them now while they are valuable – ideally for a sniper.

2. Trade Huet, and prospects for a big goal-scorer. Huet is good, but in a year or two Price likely won’t be riding the pine much. Trade Huet with whatever else is needed and get us a big center or star winger.

3. Go light on trading. Keep as many of the best habs as you can, let the youngsters learn and try to fill the gaping holes like an enforcer, some PK specialists.

70. ebk says:

that is not even close to funny

71. The Teacher says:

Ditto. That’s why it’s not ;)

72. kevrob says:

well we have been looking for a more offensive line.

73. ebk says:

so me not finding a joke about the KKK funny, makes me the fun police. guess I can live with that.

74. saku11 says:

I hope so. Look at Datsyuk and Zetterberg, both those players took a long time to develop. As for Sergei, hopefully he can have the same type of impact as Kane or Gagner.

75. Wops says:

Finally, thats what we need!

A pair of ‘Tits with the Habbies!

hope we’ll be patient with the kid. Hope we’ll be patient with both tits, they are going to be fun to watch. Big Tits, is starting to play very well, in 2-3 years he could emerged as one of the league’s great.

76. HabsWatcher says:

Thanks for the (painful-because-it-has-a-grain-of-truth) laugh!

77. Smart Dog says:

Your icon cracks me up! I hear Stueys lisping voice every time i read one of your posts. Next time throw in the phrases ‘evil genius’ and ‘sexy party’.

78. SlySil says:

Carbo probably lost a night’s sleep trying to figure out how he can fit Sergei The Younger on our blueline so he can keep Streit up front…..

79. Jonnyboy says:

you are right on.

there are few players that fit right away in the nhl, its even worse for bigger players.

a lot of people forget this when talking about Latendresse.

i think he will be a very strong player for us in the future.

i am not saying he will develop this well but look at Lecvalier, in his first season he had 13 goals and everyone thought he goign to be a flop. Lats rookie season – 16 goals.

80. Smart Dog says:

It’s great that K2 was called up so we can have a look at him. But I wish everyone would calm down about it. Forwards especially take time to mature. We have a good group of young players, but by their age, most are 2-3 years from getting into their potential.

81. joe-hab-nuno says:

Smart K9, thanks for sticking with the dog and glasses. as you know i was having nightmares with that other one. LOL

82. The Teacher says:

Oh, but they DO have a promising youngster in goal..Watch for him at the Junior Champs this year ;)

83. Jonnyboy says:

i would like to see those lines.

i think the hig, plek, kovalev would have some amazing plays….if the team played offence

84. Jonnyboy says:

its not the ice time that matters for ryder, with carbo everyone plays the same, its just rough that he doesn’t have the set up players on the 4th line.

85. Blitzen says:

Somebody said they brought up SKoz to showcase him to other teams for trading purposes. Personally, here’s what I think:

Plan A was to bring in Brière or Ryan Smith to add some punch

Plan A failed

Plan B was to bring in somebody through a trade

Plan B failed

Plan C is to work with what you’ve got, hence you call up the prized prospect to see what he’s got.

86. RH says:

I wonder if he’s destined for the coaches doghouse without even playing a game yet?

One thing that I am surprised about, concerning this years edition of the Habs, is that they’re not playing a stronger defensive game. I wasn’t surprised with there lack of scoring but, I really thought that the power play would decline, substantially from last season, and the coaches would compensate with more of a defense first, collapse around the goaltender and master the art of blocking shots attitude. I think back to last season when the Canucks couldn’t buy a goal, but rallied behind there goaltending and developed a strong defensive game. That team looked pretty solid going into the playoffs didn’t they?

87. showey47 says:

Plan B is still in the works and i think it will be in the works right up to the trade dead line

88. showey47 says:

dogs lose in shootout

89. Wops says:

For everybody argueing that we are flipping out with lil Tits coming to MTL…

We do not think he is the Messiah, we are well aware that he had only 1 Goal in 5 games, with 12 shots (2nd in the team) and a +/- of 0 during the preseason. We know.

We are only happy, because 1st, we lack scoring, 2 its rare to have a 1ppg guy in the farm team (pleks and higgy were not even 1ppg guy)3 we needed something new in MTL. in terms of offensive potential.

Lil tits, is not the saviour, but it will be interesting to watch the pair of tits play, and its promising for the future.

Thats all.

He is going to make mistakes in the defensive zone, certainly. Let’s try instead to look at the positive sides he brings to our team.

90. JB_15 says:

At this point, we know what isn’t working, and I think this is just another leg of the experiment that is the 07-08 campaign. The capabilities of these kids has yet to be revealed; and this is an opportunity to learn a bit about sergei, and for him to learn a ton about the nhl. But I agree, that if he makes a bad play, benching him is a horrible idea. I personally think carbo is sabotaging the career of some of our most promising kids and I am sick of it. The kid will add spark, I dont think there’s any doubt about that, and that’s all it takes. One guy, giving his all every shift. With the energy of pleks higgins and kostitsyn’s, hopefully something will be contagious.

91. Bill says:

I would be surprised to see Kostitsyn even get in a game. Who’s going to sit? I’m not asking who SHOULD sit, I’m asking who will. I imagine he’ll eat some hot dogs for the first couple of games, maybe all. That would seem about the Habs style.

92. The Teacher says:

I’m hoping he doesn’t make a defensive mistake. He’s known to be a good defensive forward as well..

someone DID had to have been a bit more defensive minded on a line with Kane and Gagner don’t you think?

93. JB_15 says:

He will get in. It seems unlikely that the habs would waste time calling him up instead of grabovski or someone else. There’s a reason it was him, and I would bet he dresses and plays thursdays. His impact, he’ll skate hard. He’ll be nervous as hell though. So i wouldnt expect much, but he will get a few shifts.

94. RiverviewCanadien says:

I just hope he gets ice time

95. RiverviewCanadien says:

grabs is out with an injury…well I can see them not playing him tomorrow, sit behind the bench let him see what the team is like, get to the locker room after the game adn tell the team what HE NEEDS THEM TO DO FOR HIM TO SCORE (which he can), and play him against TOR, hell lets make him ‘C’ for the night and make Koivu shit his pants

or maybe he can make Koivu score and be worthy of the C adn top line center

96. saku11 says:

I agree with them starting Price in Huet’s absence. We didn’t lose the past few games because of poor goaltending. He played especially well last game, and gave the Habs an opportunity to get two points, we just couldn’t finish. Not only was his sv% 0.935, he stopped 13 shots in the third to force overtime.

What I like about Price is that he’ll make those big saves towards the end of the game to keep the team in it.

97. jshakka says:

/jshakka/
    I Seen this kid play, in Junior , and its true he was the best player on that line w/kane, and Gagner. He’s guick,a good passer, doesn’t shy away. I’ve been waiting for this, I believe he’ll do well. Just Slap him on the First line.
    Halak , deserves better , at least he should get a start. He has already proven he can win under pressure. This puzzles me. He has proven, Were losing. Price is Our Patrick of the Tomorrow, but NOW IS NOW.We need W W W W ‘s..

98. Barts says:

They’re not calling him up to sit on the bench, don’t worry.

99. RiverviewCanadien says:

but he lets in all weak ones to make it an exciting finish, is that what he does? I’m kiddin’ I like Price but come on Denis was the better goalie last night…Halak should have been in nets at least once the past week…

100. RiverviewCanadien says:

Couldn’t have said it better

101. Corio says:

This is pretty damn exciting..

102. Les-Habitants says:

First, I’m going to say this is simply good news. The youth movement, with th help of key veterans Koivu, Markov, and Kovalev, is going to pave the way for success in the future. This is a really good move, allowing us to use the forwards as forwards, and Streit back to D. Also, hopefully this will give us 2 offensive line that are producing. Poor Ryder though, he’ll be on the 4th line and this might spell the end of his time in Montreal unless he can kick-start his production with less ice-time.

I’m glad Gainey is allowing this team to grow. I tend to see more positives in the Habs by nature of being such a big fan, but I really see a lot of potential in this team. And I still remain positive that the Habs are a playoff team…well, compared to the other Eastern teams anyway.

One final note: for ANYONE who thinks trading Koivu is anywhere near a good idea, how?!!??! Does anyone realize how good of a leader he is, how a heart and soul guy with the skill level he has is rare even in the NHL. Gainey wasn’t fooling when he said he was planning on building around Koivu, this remains his team and it will fall without him. Stop with the Koivu trades, there is no way any trade involving Koivu would improve this team with his loss…ugh, sorry, had to rant at some point lol.

103. saku11 says:

You can look at that way. Who’s more dangerous offensively though, Higgins or Lecavalier? I think the Habs might have made Denis look better than he is by shooting right at him and not jumping on his huge rebounds (except in Pleks case).

104. Bill H says:

Well, I think we can all agree that 2 Tits are better than one. Sorry, someone had to say it.

105. HNS says:

Bottom line…..Teams that go into a funk hold their sticks too tight, players try to do too much individually so they don’t play well as a team and just choke causing many turnovers. Case in point last nite.
    This is the same team of players and coaches that wowed us in the first 20 games. What changed? This is something that will turn around, hopefully sooner than later, and the players on the current roster be the ones to turn the tide. This has become a game of streaks. There are no messiahs…….oh yea, Tequilla always helps too!

106. Chuck V. says:

S. Kostitsyn will make an impact if he’s given a good shot at doing so. That said, his impact will probably not be immediate and there will be some growing pains. However, as stated by many posters, we now have a lot of guys we’ve graduated from Hamilton or somewhere in the farm system.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT CARBO PUT HIS YOUNG PLAYERS IN A SITUATION TO SUCCEED!

By this I mean that if we want younger Kostitsyn to come and provide offense, we need to put him on one of our top 2 lines (that’s 4A and 4B, Monsieur Poisson, not line 1 and line 1) and let him skate with our best offensive players. To be honest, it’s not like he’d be any worse that Ryder so what’s the harm in giving him a few shifts with Saku and Higgy, or even trying to put him on a line with his brother.

Finally, I find it interesting to see many of the same people jumping all over Carbo for benching O’Byrne and yet asking for Halak to start over Price. Here’s the bottom line: any young player will have rough patches, and Price is no different. I like that he’s getting consecutive starts in a row in the NHL so that he can learn to isolate single games and have a short-term memory. Anyone who watches football knows that a CB must be able to forget about the previous play and move on, and I think that the same is true about goalies: they must be able to forget the previous goal/bad game and move onwards without looking back. I think it’s great that Carey is getting the opportunity to grow into a starter’s role and get used to playing consecutive games. If this guy’s going to be our workhorse for years to come, then he needs to see a lot of ice and learn to deal with slumps/bad games.

Carbo should use that logic and apply it to all of his youngsters. I don’t mind benching a veteran because they should know better, but to bench a younger player is to rid him of ice time that he can use to learn from his mistakes and build upon them.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your dissection of my “analysis”

107. fun police says:

kots jr. will play tomorrow. my guess is:

higgins-koivu-kotsjr.
    kots-pleks-kovy
    lats-chips-ryder
    kosto-laps-dandy

markov-komi
    ham-o’byrne
    streit-bouillon

scratch:georges

108. RiverviewCanadien says:

5 hole is right at him, and people score alot with that one. Higgins is dangerous (just because he does not have numbers, don’t sell him short), provided he gets a nice saucer pass…

109. Les-Habitants says:

I think Boone said it right, I believe they are seeing how he deals with consecutive games and whether he can bounce back. The team needs to play better infront of him, also. I like the challenge being placed on him. It’ll be a good learning curve, and when Huet comes back he’ll only be better from this.

110. Les-Habitants says:

That’s what I saw too, except switch Ryder with Dandy. Lats, Chip, and Dandy is a bit of a better defensive third line, and hopefully Ryder will play like an energy forward and Lapierre with him can create a little offense

111. RiverviewCanadien says:

don’t compare hockey to footabll, I hate watching guys in tights :)

yes play Price, but don’t let a guy like Halak become stale…all I said was he should have played at least one game. In the first 20 it was totally back and forth…should have tried it at least once in the past week…we need wins…not “play at the Montreal Canadiens school and see how you do adn learn from your mistakes”, people pay money to see them win at home…not lose 6 in a row

112. saku11 says:

I agree. Koivu is a warrior. Give him lil’tits on his wing and he’ll feed him all night. Koivu should probably have 10-15 more assists than he has right now based on the amount of time he’s set someone up and they failed to score. He’s a playmaker, give him two options on the wing and he’ll put up points.

113. Les-Habitants says:

It’s a young team, and these streaks are bound to happen. But we saw what this team can be early on, so have faith!!

There are no messiahs here, but we don’t need one. There is a lot of youthfull talent here,so we’re now going to see the impact Gainey’s plan of building within!! Look forward to seeing what happens this season, and better yet what will happen in our Club’s 100th birthday.

114. Chuck V. says:

i’m comparing a mentality which is applicable to all sports. the ability to bounce back is crucial for any hockey player, particular a goaltender. ask any athlete whether they should dwell on previous errors and the simple and conclusive answer is no.

and honestly do you really think that halak would have done any better after being left out to dry the same way that price has? and by doing better i don’t mean not giving up this goal or that goal i mean do you think he would have stolen the game for us any more than price? again, the answer is no

while i haven’t packed it in this year and i agree the Canadiens shouldn’t turn into a hockey school, how are we ever to let our players develop if we take them off the ice after their first mistake of the game? fine, if they’re not ready then don’t play them, but o’byrne is definitely ready. give him a few games and let him make the odd mistake but you will soon see it pay dividends.

115. saku11 says:

Higgins is awesome I agree, he just got unlucky with rolling pucks and such last night, which ended up being easy saves for Denis because they hit him right in the chest. I’d classify 5 hole as right under him because the space in between his legs is not part of “him”.

116. Blitzen says:

These lines make sense so we prolly won’t see them…

117. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree but if Halak played the 1st night he was called up and got a shutout, would you want him in nets the next game…oh yes you would…and don’t tell me different, he went 10-6-0 with 2 shutouts and won every game at home last year… all 7

who knows what he could have done, we will never know and I am not saying he would have stolen the show, Price is the future, well at least that is what everyone keeps saying, I think he is great, but when the team is in a slump they bench players and play others. Halak should have been given a chance to showcase himself once or twice. Competitiveness among players is not always a bad thing, if he played well, that would make Price try that much harder, if he did terrible, Price would show him how it is done (sometimes it is mental), but the guy DESERVED A CHANCE FOR ONE START in my opinion.

118. saku11 says:

I like those lines. It’ll be nice to have two lines that are consistent offensive threats. We’ll just have to find a way to shut down Joffrey SixPointsInOneGame Lupul. I wonder if Edmonton misses him?

119. Blitzen says:

Imagine what this line up will be like after we trade Ryder, Halak and Guy Lafleur to the Bolts for Vinny.

:hyper:

120. the_prestigitator says:

Lupul was a decent player with the Ducks. he lacked chemistry with the Oilers because the organization did not put much emphasis on the core of youngsters. thank god he’s in my pool

121. mbplekfan says:

And lets make sure we keep rolling all four lines and benching young players that make a mistake.

Carbo needs to crush the confidence of all rookies before instilling his defence first system.

I am confident that Carbo cant root out any creativity Kost the Younger might have and turn him into an undersized plodder.

122. linp says:

As I mentioned in my previous post, the difference between the current version and the October version of our team is that we are not playing as a team anymore. The players are not helping each other out. We can’t keep control of the puck. The team plays with no emotion, no jump. Whenever we got the momentum back in a game, our game looked much better. That shows that we have the team that can play much better. The question is: How can we re-ignite the team? Injecting new blood may do the trick. This is a sensitive situation. The coaches have to handle it well and give room to the youngsters to develop. I hope Bob gives advise to Carbo to become a better coach. May be he should also call a meeting with the players. The way the team played in the last two weeks was not acceptable. Bob has the responsibility to correct this. I don’t think Carbo can do it by himself.

123. Steve C. says:

if we aquire Lecavalier, we’ll be giving up players like Price, Komisarek, Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn and/or Mikhail Grabovski, 1st round pick. not friggin Ryder who is a UFA and can go down to sunny Tampa next season to play WITH Vinny if he wants, or Halak who has a bright future but is our third stringer will always be stuck behind Price.

124. Sulemaan says:

I think Carey Price is a great goalie and our future. However, Halak deserves at least a couple of games while Huet is out. We shouldn’t forget what a great job he did down the stretch last year which got us to that final game – which Huet lost. I hope Kostitsyn jr has a good game but I’m not expecting him to light the world on fire. (Here’s hoping he proves me wrong!)

125. Matt. says:

Okay so, here’s an idea.

Kost-Koivu-Kost
    HIggins-Pleks-Kovalev

and I don’t care where you put anyone else, it makes no difference whatsoever.

126. saku11 says:

hehehe good post

127. Matt. says:

my bad cournoyer! How did you finish off the third and fourth lines? I couldn’t be bothered.

128. Matt. says:

good thing mpplekfan… I was worried he might try and score goals and show up the rest of the boys, good thing we have Carbo to set him straight.

129. habsguy says:

hey guys, cournoyer12 thinks we should taken Kopitar instead of Price, what do you think about it ???

130. Matt. says:

Hindsight is 20/20.

131. Matt. says:

I’m just wondering, what’s to say Gainey didn’t bring up Kost. because there’s a trade a’happening and Kost will fill the void until the new aquisition gets over?

Just thought I’d rekindle the fire… again.

132. Wops says:

What about…no Cournoyer…No. What did Kopitar win in his career? What did he win single-handedly?

‘Nuff said.

133. P St. Pierre says:

Sergei Kostitsyn is another small forward similar to Grabovski, but I expect that he will probably be more skilled and harder to knock off the puck. He has a definant weight advantage over Grabs.

Because S. Kostitsyn prefers the left side, I’m wondering how the lines will look, as I know you guys are by reading your posts.

S. Kostitsyn-Koivu-Higgins

or

Higgins-Koivu-S. Kostitsyn

Those are the most likely combos but perhaps something like what I have below would be what the team really needs to get out of it’s funk.

S. Kostitsyn-Koivu-Kovalev
    Higgins-Plekanc-A. Kostitsyn

or

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
    S. Kostitsyn-Plekanec-A. Kostitsyn

That last combo might be scary in the Canadiens end of the ice…its hard to say.

134. yehaken says:

Because my wife is Greek and really doesn’t get the fascination, I write this to you:

The worst thing about about these ridiculous trade ideas is that for that brief second, when I read the posts, I am forced to actually think about them. Hmmm, losing Lafleur would be tough, he is a great spokesman and all…yet Lacavalier and Crosby…let’s think about some line combo here…

Please, stop it people! You are only offering false sips of impossible wines. After even the smallest taste from that challice of hope, the swill of reality burns like Dewars after MacCallan 30.

Folks, we all have to live and die with gents like Dandenault (not his fault). Don’t make it worse by comparing him (or anyone) to Lecavalier (or Crosby or Ovechkin) please. When you make up trade rumours, it hurts us all (especially the troops and the children).

Mostly because the rumours are either really bad or really good. Koivu for Marleu = very bad. Ryder for St. Louis = very good.

How about some Streit rumours? I heard that Streit was going to be traded for Jussi Jokinen. How come no one cares about those trades? HABS SIGN SMOLINSKI!!! Does NO one care about the Sergio Mommesso trade? Why, did something else happen that day?

Every time I see that photoshopped (actually very well photoshopped) Vinny in a Habs jersey, I feel like stabbing my eyeballs with a letter opener. It’s just not true. Mario will never come home. Also Denis Savard sucked when he came home, and Chelios is still playing a few Norrises later. It’s been 16 years people! He is still better than the Brisebois who replaced him.

In the untradeable words of Lou Reed:

Y’know that, women, never really faint,
    And that villains always blink their eyes, woo!
    And that, y’know, children are the only ones who blush!
    And that, life is, just to die!

See, it’s our team. There won’t be trades or saviours or anything else. It’s these guys. Love em, leave em, or both. They’ll be good, only later. Maybe he just doesn’t like you.

First comes denial, and 13 steps later, stiff drink.

Apologies for excessive length…

135. Wops says:

WoopTidouuu, 31 Points… LA is last in the league…. Why????

THEY HAVE NO GOALIE
    go home cournoyer…

136. Wops says:

Yeah carey price is the only goalie that gets beats over the shoulder…right….

Forwards aim for top corner!!! Wake up !! Some of them have good shots…

Go see the Ottawa-Carolina replays.. Cam Ward got beat often over the shoulder… Why? Great Shot!!! Does Cam Ward suck for that?? Nooooo! Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup, ‘Nuff Said

137. Wops says:

the only two years we made them was because of goaltending.

138. POPS says:

My fellow Habs fans I will guarantee that this team will gel and we will have a fantastic second half. Please write this one down and remind me of it. I agree with many of the posts that urge the coaching staff to push more offence and creativity. The coaches seem to want to turn racing horses into mules. Koivu, Kovalev, Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek, Streit, Higgins are all world class players. All have been captains of or represented their national teams in high level international competition. Let them play! Don’t try and turn Kovalev into a penalty killer! Don’t try and sell me Koivu as a shut down guy! Let these guys fly!!! Why not load up the top two lines and let them go!!!!!!!

139. Wops says:

dude, you sound like a leaf fan…maybe you should cheer for them…

140. saku11 says:

As much as I’d love to see a player like Kopitar in a Habs uniform, a goalie has a larger impact on the game. If Price realizes his potential and I think he will, we’ll be set for years to come in goal. In 09 we’ll sign Lecavalier and make the drive for 25 a reality. Price will win the Conn Smythe, Vezina and Hart, and cournoyer12 will celebrate the day we drafted Price.

141. nightmare_49 says:

The La Presse has Sergie playing with Saku and Higgy. My quess is Higgy will play the right side.

142. nightmare_49 says:

Finally Sergie K. gets called up and i hope he gets a good shot at the top 6 forward bonanza but his biggest challenge will be to put up with a panicking coach. I hope his brother fills him in on Carbo’s confidence breaking style especially with rookie’s (the Big Redwood’s benching) and if you think Les Boys are playing tight it all comes from the nervous coach which is contagious. Now we know that Gorges does not have the confidence of his coach as Streit is moved back to “D”. Streit had a good game as forward last game. One more thing before the children take over the site this whole tail spin started when Carbo put Lats on the top line as he did last year and is called The Latendresse Syndrome (moral breaker). Now it’s your sandbox , Enjoy.

143. G-Man says:

Race horses? Looks more like nags ready for the glue factory.The top two lines are already loaded. With blanks. How many years is it since the Habs have had a point per game player? For a storied franchise, it’s getting butt ugly.
    Oh, another thing. Coaches teach systems, not creativity. The player either has it or doesn’t. These guys would rather pick corners and miss the net entirely (clearing the zone for the opposition) rather than banging one off the goalie’s pads or stick and getting a rebound.
    Stop blaming the coaching for poor play. These guys are millionaires with no pride.
    Gilbert

144. The Cat says:

Its not good for your sanity to wish for players to carry the team with 40 plus goals. The habs’ system has a way of chewing those guys and spitting them out. Remember how Stephane Richer was treated? And thats my greatest gripe about the Habs -theyre not always kind and loyal to the greats that have been kind and loyal to the team. its time to learn the lessson from Detroit and start doing it more.

145. Blitzen says:

You do understand the concept of sarcasm, right?

146. Blitzen says:

I’m gonna keep my expectations low for his first game:

30 minutes ice time
    5 goals
    4 assists

147. Chuck says:

The reality is that NO team wins championships without stellar goaltending, and the ratio of great goaltenders versus great scorers in any draft year means that you should take a great goaltender any time that you have a chance to.

Name me the last Stanley Cup team to win with crummy goaltending.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

148. linp says:

I have just analyzed Ottawa’s game in their own zone against Carolina. Once they gain control of the puck, all the players skate into position to get ready to receive a pass. Even when the D-man throw the puck along the board, they have a winger there receiving the pass. That is team play. That is puck control hockey.
    Our players just do not help each other out or doesn’t know how to skate into position. Whenever our D-man throws the puck along the board, it is always intercepted by the opponent’s D-man.
    Our team needs to improve on our system. Carbo has been playing 5 on 5 as if we were killing a penalty. Instead, we should be playing as if we were having a PP.
    If the players give up on Carbo, Bob has to step in and coaches the team until the team can play as a team. Carbo can sit in the box and study how to coach.

149. JB_15 says:

I dont know that this team necessarily needs another Sergei Kostitsyn type of player. We have a ton of speed, and a ton of chances, but we simply fail to capitalize. We need someone that can put the puck in the net similar to kovalev given the opportunity. Too many missed chances game in and game out. It makes no difference if you can fly past defenders and wow the crowd but can’t beat the goalie. Unfortunately, we have way too many guys who fall just short of being real scoring threats.

Size and a shot. Thats what we need. But good luck to the kid.

150. Smart Dog says:

What we need is shooting practice. These guys couldn’t hit a corner in an octagon. Uh… you know what I mean.

151. downeast hab says:

Maybe if carbo and assistants catch a virus and have to miss 4 or 5 games, they could call up the bulldogs coaches, then we may see a workable system from experienced coaches.

152. saku11 says:

Look at Recchi with 2 goals so far in his first game with Atlanta. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we didn’t pick him up and are giving our youth a chance to play. It’s good to see Recchi proving he’s not done yet though.

153. showey47 says:

in an unrelated topic the bulldogs are tied 1-1 close to the end of the second and its echl call up enforcer jimmy bonneau who scored for the dogs.

154. Naila Jinnah says:

W00t!! A word I can now use because it’s now officially in the Merriam Webster dictionary!

155. Steiner says:

I read that too today and felt compelled to use it as well!
    W00t!
    Ps: I think we are in the same program at Concordia.

156. RiverviewCanadien says:

Here is a question, should Halak have started at least one game since he has been called up, or has it made sense to keep him on the bench and see what Price is made of?

157. showey47 says:

i think price is being played to see what he is made off. I have no doubt that huet is being shopped as is ryder.

158. Steiner says:

I’m no expert, but I think they may have wanted to see how Price would handle several consecutive starts. Test him out as a #1, how he would rebound from bad games, and whether he could just handle it.

Whether it was a good idea, thats a whole other story.

Again though, I’m no expert. Just my take.

159. Yeats says:

Given what he did for the team during last year’s late-season run, he should never have started the year in Hamilton. I would start him tomorrow night against the Flyers. Price has yet to steal a game and show that he is the indespensible man.

160. Yeats says:

Right now, Ryder couldn’t get a bid on ebay.

161. JB_15 says:

I think we are grossly mishandling carey price.
    He is not ready for this sort of role and as a result his confidence can only be plummeting. We are leaving him out to dry and his performance is suffering as a result. His numbers would be fantastic if he had a more solid core in front of him. Poor kid. He is fantastic, but needs a little bit more work with rollie melanson before he is a number 1. Having said that, he should still start saturday contre les leafs. I dont like the idea of Cristo against them, he has a poor track record.

162. showey47 says:

Someone will take a chance on him. It may not be till closer to the trade deadline when most of his contract is paid out or part of a bigger trade deal. But if he gets to play with a bonifide superstar center he will score goals.

163. showey47 says:

instead of seeing more of melanson maybe if he saw less of brisebois it would probably help.

164. RiverviewCanadien says:

Price still has good numbers, take a look at Roy back in his Rookie year (not spectacular). I am a big fan of Price, but, here is the but, when he is not playing at his best, which he is as of late, take advantage and play the guy that got you almost to playoffs, we all know what happened that game, Huet was in nets

165. Yeats says:

You may very well be right. Our top line center can’t find the back of the net with the coordinates and radar let alone set someone up. Moreover, Koivu continually puts us in jeopardy by taking these bullshit, candy-ass penalties at the wrong time like last night against the Bolts after we took the lead. Deep down, I think the mind-fuck Carbo and the coaching staff did on Ryder destroyed him on this team. Hey, nobody gave Lafleur an once of shit about defensive play because that just wasn’t his job.

166. ebk says:

if Gainey got a #1 and a depth forward(gorges) for Rivet, he should at least get something similar for Ryder

167. RiverviewCanadien says:

I second that one. But i am biased, i’m a newfie too :)

168. showey47 says:

in price’s defense i think he pretty much stole 2 in toronto. But other than that, he’s been pretty good but not great.

169. Steiner says:

I’m pretty sure is was Komisarek who stole the last Toronto game.

;)

Right off McCabes stick.

170. Yeats says:

I just don’t like the fact that he gives up his size advantage by going down and doing so early to boot. I also think he’s just a tad slow going side to side.

171. showey47 says:

lmao, yeah but without price that game probably would of been a regulation loss. But that komi goal was so sweet.

172. Smart Dog says:

You’ve gotta think they’re working on that. Give the kid a break and time to adjust. Don’t be like Carbo. Yeah, that was uncalled for… but I think some understanding would help the rookies. A ton of pressure, they need time and good coaching.

173. Smart Dog says:

Ah – the good ol’ days! That was probably the highlight of the year so far. Komi rocks!

174. MatttheHabsFan says:

Yeah that goal was pretty sweet:)

175. RiverviewCanadien says:

Price is good, but come on, if Huet is going to be traded (speculating since he probably the best value) why cal up Halak, and let him become cold? I mean Price is really good, but when goaltenders are losing, play the other guy…When he was winning, he still was not being played consecutively. I think it was a mistake not to take advantage of the situation and play Halak, I just got off the phone with a DET fan, man they think they know everything, he was all “why play a third string goalie when Price is the future” who cares if Price is the future, he was having some bad games, they cannot afford to lose too many more…We end the season OTT,BUF,TOR (twice in that order)…OUCH

176. Yeats says:

You main point is well taken. I think they should try to let him play a style more akin to Brodeur. Heck, ask the kid what style he likes to play. He has size and as the saying goes, you can’t teach big. If he’s not a pure butterfly goalie, why turn him into one? A lot of these guys they ask to play the butterfly couldn’t catch a beachball because they don’t grow up playing baseball. I mean, let’s be fair, Huet doesn’t exactly have a great glove hand.

177. ebk says:

you winning this Price discussion cuz you and me both know I got you last time. :)

178. Yeats says:

I’m just going for the “loser point.”

179. showey47 says:

I’ve seen him play in sudbury, he was far and away he best player on he ice that included his linemates in kane and gagne.

180. PattyBoy31 says:

well how much a difference is Kane making in chicago? it may help, may not, but better than nothing

181. Yeats says:

We’ve been waiting since 1993. Habs’ fans will embrace any player who might lead us out of the desert. Will the younger K do it, probably not. But, the Habs have become FDR during the Great Depression, let’s try everything and hope that something eventually works. OK, WWII finally got us out of that mess, but we’ll just skim over that little detail.

182. RiverviewCanadien says:

I saw him play in preseason here in Moncton NB…I think he should have made the cut…I am not saying he is the answer, but a combo of all the yong talent is…they need offensive and coach that can do something with all of it. Who ever thought of playhing D men on you first line, WTF

Maybe that is why Jarvis is behind the bench, all this Bulldog talent, weho knows them best…look out Guy, maybe Jarvis should step up…

183. RiverviewCanadien says:

Jean B also said that vets should adapt to the young guns, obviously the vets as of late is not going so well (besides my man Kovalev), so bring them up and see what can happen…koivu has been on the 1st line too long as of late

184. Smart Dog says:

I agree he should play Halak. These guys don’t seem to be thinking about the mental state of their players. Bringing up players that don’t play… putting defensemen on the first line while benching others… benching a rookie because he makes a rookie mistake. Ya gotta wonder if they’ve got pucks between their ears.

185. RiverviewCanadien says:

exactly, well spoken smartdog (your not just a clever name). If you call up players and bench them, WTF are you doing to their confidence, if they play and do well, that makes the vets take a step back and go “Crap these guys can do it, I know I can”. But we will never know if they are just warming the seats….

186. ebk says:

never let the facts get in the way of a good story, yeats

187. Yeats says:

Just spinnin’ yarns!

188. Smart Dog says:

True, the Great Global Warming Swindle will blow your mind…. right into happy ignorant (and erroneous) complacency. Since it was produced two of the scientists who took part in the film, have made public complaints about the way the film was made and the way they were quoted.

It’s a crock of s–t… more importantly it doesn’t belong here. Sorry – I don’t mean to criticize your sig; it’s cool to share the things that you like, but I really think the GGWS is much too political a topic for HIO.

189. Blitzen says:

Off-topic:

A good chunk – but admittedly not all – of the Great Global Warming Swindle has been debunked. Alex Jones has mostly been debunked.

If you want to read something, based on documented facts (huge list of references at the end of the book), that will blow you away, get into Naomi Klein’s The Shock Doctrine. Starts off kinda slow but you will definitely learn something – and probably not like what it is. I haven’t yet found a negative critique that didn’t either:

1) Focus on saying that Klein isn’t qualified to write this book (but said nothing about the facts), and/or

2) Simply totally distorted what’s in the book to please those who just won’t read it and who wouldn’t like her conclusions.

I will happily read any critique of this and change my mind if need be but that hasn’t happened yet. The only unfortunate thing about the book is that it isn’t a love story and doesn’t feature Harry Potter so few people will read it.

190. MikeMcLaren says:

What a double dose of good news for me today! As I am a resident of suburban Philadelphia and seats are quite easy to come by here in Cheesesteakville, I was already slated to be at the game (one day I should make one of those silly “Pierre et Yvon” signs).

So my day starts off with the pleasant release that Breezer’s not playing.

And now word that I get to see the little tit in his NHL debut?

Great stuff!

I can only hope that the Flyers blew their wad last night and are out of goals tomorrow.

I’ll try to post something from my Blackberry tomorrow while I’m at the game.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

191. Wayne says:

I’d love to tour the NHL’s rinks wherever the Habs play! I’m flabbergast when I notice empty seats watching on the tube in these arenas.

Enjoy the game Mike, ya lucky SOB ;)

192. Yeats says:

The problem is that the shooter tutor doesn’t move and make the mistakes a living, breathing person with the gear on does. It might be the most demoralizing thing they have ever experienced as a group. (I personally hate shooting on one of those when a goalie doesn’t show up at pickup.)

193. mcLovin says:

read the book “overshoot” by William Catton

194. Smart Dog says:

Good posts POPS, Nightmare,

The style of game these guys want to play is puck control and offense – a winning style to be sure. But Carbo seems to think that’s dessert and they haven’t eaten all their vegetables yet.

Yes, Gilbert (I have a cat named Gilbert!), the vegetables are defense, which is their duty. As soon as they PERFECT that, I am CERTAIN they will be allowed to have fun with the puck again.

As nightmare says – hope that K2 gets a chance at the “top 6 bonanza”.

It’s so obvious the teams offensive confidence is flagging… they keep hitting goalies in the chest. No one has the confidence to pick a corner anymore. Sad. Yep, racehorses into mules. Until we trade them.

Yehaken – that was brilliant! We got Brisebois for Chelios?? ARRRRGGHHH!!!!!

195. Blitzen says:

The brilliance of Carbo’s system is that you dump the puck and then you backcheck, NOT forecheck.

196. yehaken says:

We got Denis Savard for Chelios. Chelios and Carbo were co-captains at the time. The Serge Savard traded Chelios because, we learned, we had a group of young defensemen coming up, led by Patrice Brisebois (but also including Matthieu Schneinder, Eric Desjardins, and Sean Hill). Brisebois took the vacant spot on defense.

By 1995 we had traded all the defensemen except Brisebois.

197. ccs says:

Here is my concern for the game tonight…What happens if it turns into a game like the flyers and pens game the other night??? We will get kiled out there for sure. I dont see us out hitting them or winning many fights. What if guys start taking runs at our small forwards??? Lets get a real policeman in the line up and fast. Good luck to our little forwards. GO HABS GO.

198. Blitzen says:

Boston tried the goon approach and lost. But wait that was Bahston.

The Habs need to dump and pressure all game long, not do the defensive shell thing. The sooner Carbo realizes that the better.

199. RiverviewCanadien says:

I would like to see some hitting action on Briere tonight, open ice in the neutral zone BAM!!! Lay him out

200. Smart Dog says:

So we traded the best and kept the one no one wanted. I think I’ve seen this film a couple of times.

201. Smart Dog says:

Why spend energy trying to keep it in the other end when you know it’s just coming back anyway.

The man’s a genuis!

202. RetroMikey says:

Honestly, I’m not getting excited for Sergei being called up. Being from Hamilton and watching the “Dawgs” play, he showed flashes of brilliance and some nights he was like a hollow man. The Canadiens have done this many times over the years by calling up prospects and it amounted to nothing. I am hoping Sergei has chemistry on the team. Rumour has it he was not well liked in Hamilton. Good Luck Sergei, I’ll be having a Vodka and OJ tonite cheering you and the rest of the Habs tonite. Play hard and hustle boys!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

203. nightmare_49 says:

Personally i could care less how his teamates in Hamilton thought of him as jealousy could be a factor in a tight group of Calder Cup winners but i do hope that he gets a good chance to provide some offense which is lacking during this tailspin. He may not be a sniper but maybe he can set up Higgy and Saku and who knows. If this doesn’t work then it’s time to split up those two (higgy & saku) but i still would like to see them keep Sergie in the mix as he surely will be a regular next year. Enjoy your vodka.

204. joe-hab-nuno says:

Finally getting my holiday wishes early, bring in as many kids up. We’re going to have a tough time making the playoffs so why not get them in here and start learning quicker. If Gagner and Kane are playing in the nhl and doing well, why not bring this kid up. He’s proving to be a ppg player in the ahl and even his coach from last year said he was the most nhl ready player then the other 2. I’m with the people sayinf he’s not goig to be tha saviour this year, but if we are going to continue losing games like this, why not let the kids play. Now just missing the guy who probably had the best pre season from D’agostini. Then we can get rid some broken wood and get som toughness. Get rid of Ryder, Streit, Dandy, Boullion, Smolinski,Brisebois. Not all of them but maybe 2 or 3 and get some grit, toughness and leadership for them. Heck we won the cup in 86 with 8 rookies in the lineup. Not saying we’re going to win cuz we’re missing impact players in the lineup. We had 2 ppg players (Naslund and Smith) and 2 or 3 (Gainey Robinson, Carbs, probably 1 more)leaders in that team, and of course who can forget Roy. Who do we have here as true leaders. When someone says something negative about the team these supposingly leaders, all they have to say is that it’s a free country and they have the right to their opinion or we’re not winning games and we have to wait and see how we can get out of the situation. What kind of crap is that. Instead of saying yes we’re not doing the right things to win games and WE ARE GOING to play harder and get those things right. Please stop whinniing about the things some of these people are saying and try harder rather then slacking of more.

205. Smart Dog says:

Very good point about getting rid of some guys who are not good DNA to build on. I shudder to think what people are learning from Breeze-bye. It’s not his errant give-aways or passes into traffic… but these things come for a lazy attitude. He seems too relaxed sometimes. That seems to be growing.

206. Smart Dog says:

It was freaking me out too. I put it up waiting to see how long it would take for people to tell me to take it down!

207. joe-hab-nuno says:

For a guy who is 6’2″ and 203lbs, he can’t play along the boards cuz he gets knocked off so easily and loses the puck without any effort. He’s not that big for a defencemen but look at Hamerlik, he’s 6’2″ and 208Lbs, hardly any difference, but he is solid and complete opposite then Brokenwood.

208. joe-hab-nuno says:

Was really surprised about the weight of Hamrlik, he plays alot heavier then 208. Especially when he knocked down Lecavalier the last game

209. Smart Dog says:

That was the best play of the game. Vinny looked stunned….Hamr just kept on going. LOL Hamrlik is this year’s best addition by far.

210. habsguy says:

cournoyer12 ..there you have itCarey Price in a landslide!!!!!!………..now shut up about Kopitar !!!!

211. Wops says:

cournoyer12 is a leaf fan, secretly…

212. abhishek says:

I have to agree, cournoyer12 has to be a leafs fan. Either that, or he’s 12.

Cournoyer12 Price is 20, he’s going to make mistakes. But if you’ve actually watched him play, he’s very good for his age. He’ll become even better b/c of Huet’s and Rollie Melanson’s mentoring.

213. joe-hab-nuno says:

I love my habs too, but these last results in their play has my life surrounded in negativity…….lol.

I love taking a walk in the park.

214. Sbah Reverof says:

Woo-hoo! (not sarcastic)

215. saku11 says:

I’m excited to see this kid in action

216. MathMan says:

O’Byrne didn’t get glued to the bench. I distinctly remember him muffing three consecutive zone clearances on a single shift long after his turnover to Andre Roy.