Komisarek one of Mirtle’s unsung heroes

Hockey blogger James Mirtle ranks Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek among his unsung heroes of the season. He has compiled a list of 14 skaters "that have gone from virtual
unknowns to key cogs through the first 25 or so games this season."

Here’s his take on Komisarek:

Mike Komisarek, Montreal – Komisarek certainly gets his due in Quebec, but outside of the province, I’m not so sure he’s a household name. A terrific defensive player who’s starting to come into his own, and someone we’ll see with Team USA very soon.

1. windycity says:

Let’s be honest, Hainsey had several chances to make the Habs and he blew every one. He’s turned it around, kudos to him, but he didn’t cut it here hence why he was let go. Hindsight is 20-20, not many people were complaining when the Blue Jackets claimed him off waivers – other than to complain about another supposed “wasted” draft pick . . .

2. Bill says:

A blunder? He was claimed on waivers. The only way Gainey could have avoided it was by not recalling him, or by never having sent him down, I guess. It’s not a blunder, that’s just the chance you take with the system as it works now.

3. nightmare_49 says:

I’m sure the opposition know how good he is and it shows as they always have someone trying to get him off his game. Recently Komi has played average as he’s trying to do too much and is caught out of position to often so all he has to do is keep it simple and stay on his side as much as possible and relax and stick to the basics that got him his well deserved respect in the NHL.

4. Habs-Kat says:

I don’t like the fact that Ron Hainsey is on that list too.

5. coutNY says:

Sorry Habs-kat for the above post… pretty much restating what you said, but I am having trouble with seeing posts of some bloggers. Basically yours came up blank. I am able to read them if I highlight them with my cursor.

6. HabsProf says:

We might not like it, but the loss of Hainsey for nothing (worse than nothing – we paid half of his salary that first season with Columbus) is a huge Gainey blunder. I think it is about time Habs fans acknowledged it.

7. coutNY says:

Komisarik is the heart of the Habs Blue line. My favorite current player on the club. It stinks that Hainsely, also on Mirtle’s list, could possibly be a starter with the habs, if not for a New NHL Mis-hap of trying to bring him up to cover an injury on Defense. Not only did we lose him on waivers but aquired a dud through a trade for Niimina to fill the void… a waste talent and money all because of one transation.