Komisarek gets physical

Canadiens’ Mike Komisarek rocks Sabres’ Jason Pominville behind the net at Bell Centre this month.

Allen McInnis, The GazetteĀ

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes today that Habs defenceman Mike Komisarek wanted to take on a bigger leadership role this season and he has done just that up to this point.

Komisarek has also established himself as a physical force along the blue line. His 61 body checks tie him for the NHL lead with Dustin Brown of the Los Angeles Kings. Komisarek has also blocked 56 shots, second only to Ottawa’s Anton Volchenkov.

"Komo’s been awesome," head coach Guy Carbonneau said. "He’s really taken a leadership role. He’s in his third year now (as a regular) and he’s a big part of our club."

1. LizardKing1967 says:

Doesn’t Komi remind us a little of Robinson? Big, solid presence, doesn’t fight, but if he has to, can hold his own. Starting to play like an all-star lined up next to Markov. Let’s hope he lays out Sundin for revenge on the stick-in-the-face last game. Only “stars” like Sundin do not get penalized on plays like that, or is it a “hockey universe is T.O. thing.

Jim-out

2. showey47 says:

I really hope komi lays out sundin something fierce tomorrow night as a little payback for the high-stick in the face. We are really gonna need the entire d’men core to come up big tomorrow night to shut down the laffs tomorrow night. We also need all 4 lines skating hard and forechecking the crap out of their slow defence. Remember boys and gals ‘no guts, no glory.

3. Shoowtime says:

If only they can all be like Mike.
    I love the grit and passions he brings to the table.
    I would not call them the big three but they definetly are impressing me.
    GO Habs

4. Robert L says:

Ian – Here is what you have to do. Find the confirmation e-mail that HIO sent and click on the first link given. It will open up a page in which you will be able to modify your account including posting a pic. Should that fail – you have my e-mail address and you can send me your HIO e-mail by inserting my address to reroute it. Also, give me your password and login and I could post that snazzy pic of you looking so distinguished with red and white umbrella.

On the subject of Komisarek, I posted on him earlier this season and compared him to Scott Stevens as well. I though I went a little over the top at first, but I’m happy to see Carbonneau thinks the same. I’m not certain that Komy can recreate the numbers, but he is certainly on his way to establishing a similar type of presense.

And yes, I agree Komisarek needs to be locked up long term. Bob Gainey does need to trash the “no negotiating during the season” policy. It might prove costly one day.

I just posted something that might be of interest to older fans of the Habs, or those who appreciate the history. I’ve gathered over 20 Parade Sportive photo’s from the 1940’s and 1930’s that were handed out as promo’s. They are quite cool to look back on and are accompanied by bios.
    Check ’em out at:

5. Woah_Dana says:

Seeing as how we’ve had a team of somewhat small guys in comparison to other teams, we’ve needed that one ‘tough guy’, & now that we have him, it’s great.
    What I love about Komi is that he isn’t as much of an instigator as he if a defender. He doesn’t look to pick pointless schoolyard fights on the ice like say, oh.. Darcy Tucker or Sean Avery. He’ll defend himself, his right on the ice, & his team without being a total sh*thead about it.

Komi, we’re glad to have you!

GO HABS!
    GO MARKOV!

6. Da Hema says:

Komisarek is one of my favorite Habs. He is tough and mean, both of which are great qualities for a defenceman. The only thing that concerns me is that other teams will try to get him to fight, and thereby we lose him in the ensuing penalty. However, Carbonneau must have talked with him about this because Komisarek is not fighting as much now as he did at the beginning of the season. I completely agree with our esteemed, knowledgeable and lovely Naila: Komisarek is a long-term keeper.
    _________________________________________________________
    “All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”
    –Gordie Howe

“You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.”
    –Yogi Berra

7. xeonus says:

Komi’s just getting better and better every year. His coaches (Julien and Carbo) have done a great job gradually increasing responsibilities, and he’s successfully blossomed into one of our most reliable defensemen. I recall a SI article posted on HIO a couple days ago about how Plecky has been a great success story in terms of gradual development, but are so many other similar notable successes on this team: Komi, Chipchura, Higgins… And the great news is that there are so many more talents (especially on D) on the way. In fact, we might soon be in a position to trade solid defensemen for more offensive help. Then again, if Lats and Grabs start playing closer to their potential, we might not even need those trades. Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

8. Naila Jinnah says:

Komi is totally on the top of my “must keep” list. He’s got heart, he’s hard working, and he’s tough.

Yeah, I think that about says it all!

9. habs33 says:

I think everyone is impressed by Komi this year and no one more so than himself. He’s proven to himself that he’s able to take the body and block shots and that’s what counts. His confidence is through the roof!

Bob should lock him up for a number of years and watch him flourish!

Finally, now i have lots of pictures to use on my computer, but don’t know how to put one here. Tough teaching an old dog this technology.

11. Richard B says:

I am sure that Koivu and Higgins are safe. In my opinion Higgins is on the verge of emerging as a Super Star. He is looking better every game.

12. kevin m says:

I think that the only untouchables on this team, at the moment, are Markov, Hamrlik & Price. This team is, in my opinion, just one “game-breaking” player short of turning itself into a perennial Stanley Cup contender for years to come.

Players such as Crosby, Kovalchuk, Thornton, Lecalvalier & Nash are also either untouchable or would come with hefty pricetags attached to them.

The good news is that in recent drafts the Habs have been able to aquire some great talent that gives this organization some “NHL-quality” depth at almost every position.

This team is going to have to give up something to get that missing piece to the puzzle. They are going to have to give up 3 or 4 bars of gold to get that DIAMOND.