Koivu: ‘Special bond between me and Montreal’ (Video)

SakuAna

Saku Koivu skipped the Anaheim Ducks optional skate Thursday morning, but obliged the throng of waiting media to talk about his return to the Bell Centre.

Tonight’s game between the Ducks and Canadiens (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) is only Koivu’s second time playing in Montreal since he signed with the Ducks in 2009.

“It’s a good feeling,” the former Canadiens’ captain said of being back in Montreal.

“Even though yesterday I felt that I’m not going to be nervous, but now today it feels a bit different,” Koivu said.

“It’s a little easier than the first time,” he said of his emotional return to the Bell Centre in 2011 with the Ducks.

When the Ducks arrived in Montreal Wednesday, Koivu said people thanked him “from over the years.”

“It’s a really good feeling. It’s overwhelming. And obviously a lot of that goes with what happened with me and cancer and us giving back to the community and being a part of the foundation. ‘But I’ve always felt that there’s a special bond between me and Montreal and the people here. It’s really, really unique.”

After his battle with cancer in the 2001-02 season, Koivu set up a foundation that raised money for a PET/CT scan unit at the Montreal General Hospital.

Koivu wasn’t the only member of the Ducks who drew lots of media attention Thursday. Teemu Selanne, 43, who has scored 678 goals and recorded 1436 points to date, plans to retire after this season, his 22nd in the NHL.

Meanwhile, in Brossard, George Parros skated with his teammates for the first time since suffering a concussion on Oct. 1 in the Canadiens’ season opener against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Parros hasn’t been cleared for contact yet, but has been symptom-free for a few days.

It was also the first time Parros has spoken to the media since his injury. He told reporters, including The Gazette’s Pat Hickey, that he wasn’t comfortable with his fight being the focal point of a debate over fighting in hockey because the injury could have happened any time. (Parros fell on the ice during the fight, landing on his chin.)

Asked if he thought the league was trying to curb fighting in hockey, Parros said rule changes in the last few years have done that. The game is faster and players have to be able to keep up.

Check back later for more video of Koivu and Selanne.

You can watch what Koivu had to say here:

And here’s the second part of the Koivu scrum:

And you can listen to Selanne here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. Rooster says:

Woohoo got tix for the game tonight washed the koivu jersey, STOKED for tonight boys!!! Can’t wait to be part of 21000 cheering koivus name at the begining! Go Habs, hopefully koivu scores atleast one tho

2. Mattyleg says:

Wow, awful quiet in here this afternoon…

People already en route for Montreal, I guess.

Posted about this last night, but I’ll allude to it again here to see what people’s opinons are;

Watched ‘That’s Hockey 2Nite’ last night and found it utterly, utterly appalling. Atrocious. Noisy, obnoxious, facile, and superficial.

It takes all of the worst of American sports broadcasting and boils it down into one horrible mess.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

I don’t think I’ve ever watched it but I will believe you.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

And that hyperactive host makes even Fox TV hosts seem thoughtful and likeable.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Psycho29 says:

is that the show hosted by Steve Kouleas? I happened to watch a bit last night, he just seems to be ‘over the top’ and the show is all over the place…Didn’t like it either

• Habilis says:

Hahaha! You mean the half hour show where Steve Kouleas sits there and screams at the camera while his former hockey player partner (whoever it is on the night) struggles to form complete sentences? Yeah, I know that show. It makes L’Antichambre seem downright civilized.

Worst. Hockey show. Ever.

• J_P says:

Steve Koulias is probably the most obnoxious person in Canadian Sports broadcasting (after Don Cherry of course).

They should actually pull that show off the air its so bad.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

This seems to be where most people are these days. I agree with you that show, like much of what’s on TV these days, is unacceptable but all we can do is not watch, I guess. If you listen to Joe Bowen up here, he calls the Leafs games, you get the feeling the louder the better, the brasher the better, less class is better. That seems to be the way.

I miss Danny Gallivan, I miss Percy Salzman, etc etc…

24 cups and counting….

3. sprague cleghorn says:

Just want to wish all the summiteers a great time. My duties with the midget team I coach preclude me joining you. With you in spirit. Or is that spirits?

Keep your head up and stick down.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

4. Habilis says:

I was fortunate enough to be in attendance on that magical night when Saku returned to the lineup after battling cancer, proudly sporting my Koivu jersey, which still hangs in my closet today.

Along with watching the cup parades in ’86 and ’93, and celebrating Canadian Olympic gold medals in ’02 and ’10, I count the Koivu game among my most treasured hockey memories.

I know he didn’t win a cup here and I know that he’s not the most spectacular player on the ice, but I will always remember him as a great Hab. His off-ice contributions to the community rival that of any former or current Canadien.

Thank you Saku, for being more than just a hockey player, for being an inspiration.

5. Bun E. Laroque says:

Very happy with Bournival, potentially a very solid player. Happy to see a little bit of personality coming on to the team courtesy of Holland, hope he sticks around. Not so happy with some of the more experienced players who seem to have lost some of their fire. The kind of fire that drives our best players (Subban, Gallagher, Prust) every night. Finally, I would really like to see Desharnais benched. Just on principle. It certainly couldn’t make him play any worse.

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…to all the Guyz on Their ways to the Summit

…have a Hell of a Time !!!

…PostScript: …would’a been extra fun to have coincided with the Duck’ game rather than da Sharks …but, I’m sure in Your ‘condition’ Y’all won’t notice :)

7. JUST ME says:

I answered no to the poll question asking if we would prefer Saku to be with the Habs.
    I find it strange that there are so many yes answers if not for being for sentimental reasons. Cause every day i come here i read about those smurfs comments that i find useless but nonetheless very present in the Habs reality. And Saku for me is a small player .
    Hockey has gotten even more dangerous now than in Saku`s era so i do not see him playing in the east no more even though i personnaly think that this could be fixed if the NHLPA and the league were to do what`s right.

8. --Habs-- says:

If DD and Diaz can’t compete against OK teams, what the heck will they do against SJ on the weekend! I think we’re in for 2 tough nights!

Go HABS Go

9. Bripro says:

Watching the videos of Saku.
    Many of you know the story of his spending time with my son during a private practice, while he was off the ice suffering from cancer.
    Just listening to him today throws me back to those days and the class act that he was (is).
    No wonder my son changed allegiances after he left the city.
    I spoke to him very briefly on that day, but I assure you, he takes time for anyone who imposes on him.
    A true ambassador.
    All the best Saku, and hope to see you next year.

10. JM says:

I have always liked Saku and he is still better than some we have on the team right now. Like everything in life you do your best and move on.
    A great player for the Habs in his day and just as great for the City of Montreal!!

11. Morenz7 says:

So if I’m understanding Parros’s comments right, he’s saying that at, any point during a game, he could fall on his face. Which—you know—is hard to dispute.

12. Luke says:

Enjoy the game folks!

Perhaps I’ll check in, but if not, to those heading to MTL tonight: Be safe, Have fun.
    To those not: Until Tomorrow.

13. gincognito says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if the Habs and the Ducks (with Saku in the lineup) were to meet in the Stanley Cup finals, I’d be cheering for Saku.

14. B says:

Montreal is currently tied for 14th among NHL teams in points% with Ottawa and Calgary. A win tonight would move them up in that ranking ahead of Detroit who is currently tied for 13th with Vancouver.

Despite all their injuries, only 4 teams (San Jose, Colorado, Boston and Pittsburgh) have a better goals for / against differential than Montreal at +10.

All things considered, not so bad really at this early point in the season.

–Go Habs Go!–

15. The_Franchise31 says:

Anybody else see that picture of the chair the Habs left in the visitors dressing room? Very thought but man that is one ugly chair lol

• JM says:

josh – It’s not all about coaching. A lot of it is about the Quality of players you put on the ice. The Habs are a fine example. They have tons of skill and speed just not built for todays NHL and that’s why we can’t win a Stanley Cup!!

16. joshua94k says:

For an opposing coach, the game plan against Montreal is simple. “Just go out, have fun and keep pressing, the breaks will come to you eventually. Good goals by the Canadiens will be disallowed, they will get double the amount of penalties than we will, and if the Habs are putting on pressure, the referees will not call any penalties against us. They will make borderline calls against them to kill their momentum. We can knock out their best players and there will be no suspensions. The referees are on our side, so are the video replay guys in Toronto. …”

In this scenario, the Canadiens are at a disadvantage before the game starts. We need management to stand up for the team like the way Scotty Bowman and Sam Pollock did. In the days before video tapes were common, Bowman would send film highlights of bad officiating against the Canadiens to the NHL head office for them to review.

To overcome this disadvantage, you need a smart coach to counter these disadvantages. But alas, as Ken Dryden, an excellent writer (and pretty good goalie as well) once wrote, “You can have a good team or a French Canadien team.”

The Canadiens can select a Gallagher over Leblanc on the ice but when it comes to coaching, it values the position less. Fearing public outcry, they select from a pool of coaches that every team in the NHL will not even consider in their top 5 choices. To coach the Canadiens, the coach has to speak French.

You can have the best defenceman in the league but if the coach only plays him about one minute penalty killing during the game, how will it help. How can you help the team if your Norris winner (Subban) ranks 10th in ice time among defencemen.

They say this team needs size, so they send down a big defenceman to Hamilton, while the most disappointing forward (Desharnais) continues to get his regular ice time.

There was a ray of hope. There was a coach available who knows how to win, wants to win, and is passionate about the game and his team. He would not let the referees get away with biased officiating. He would use his players effectively and and fight for them. And he speaks French too. His name is Patrick Roy.

“I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

• habcertain says:

this “coach must speak French” edict, must stop, we are placating the French media, all hockey business on the ice is conducted in English, and that’s what matters. the bottom line is Therrien wouldn’t even have a job in this league if it wasn’t for this edict. to be the best we must employ the best.

• shiram says:

To be fair, the candidates for the job were no prizes either.
        Roy wanted too much control.

• Luke says:

Really odd set up in Colorado.

Sakic (Pres) and Roy (VP Player stuff) kind of run the hockey show.

They have a GM. What his name is, I don’t recall… but they actually have a GM… Not sure what he Generally Manages… but it must be, like purchasing gatorade bottles and paper for the printers.

• habcertain says:

I would have rather gone with an unknown to grow with the kids then roll out a guy sitting on the AC sofa, just because he spoke French. Therrien hadn’t got a sniff from any team, even as an asst. since his PIT departure.

• bwoar says:

Some comment! Have fun jumping off that bridge, though.

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

Joshua, you’ve really oversimplified everything in this post, I’m afraid.

There is more to all of these things than you’ve superficially summed them up as being.

We won’t influence refereeing by pestering the NHL.That’s not how that works.

Your speculation about French-language coaches and where they would rank amongst other GMs is simply that; speculation. Therrien has done a very good job so far.

Tinordi was sent down because he is big but doesn’t play that way. He needs to get tougher physically and mentally before he can play in the NHL.

Patrick Roy was not the right choice for Montreal; we have no room for his megalomania in the management hierarchy, and properly so. A coach as assistant GM or President or whatever he wants simply means that he doesn’t have to listen to anyone. And that can be dangerous, as we might soon see in Colorado.

If the first few games are all you’re willing to judge a good coach by, then Mario Tremblay must be at the top of your list of faves.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Didn’t Roy say he was not ready for MTL? Anyways, it fell through…
      And there is a French bias with the Canadiens, it annoys me because it is an handicap and should not be.

• JUST ME says:

Joshua`s comment in a mix bag of what is wrong in MTL and what excuses some not so much fans use to complain.
      You have those stuck in the past,Pollock,Bowman..
      Those who place importance on details that have nothing to do with hockey french/english debate.
      Those who never ever find a good decision made by anyone on that organization. Obviously Patrick Roy was a perfect fit for the Avalanche. Considered as THE KING down there,had some of his greatest moments there and has carte blanche to lead his team to better days. In Montreal he just was not ready for prime time players as they say. Media,past events,expectations. One day maybe but not now.

17. Max says:

Koivu seems like a nice person and played pretty well here for years but that ship has long sailed. No more “cult of Koivu” and I’d prefer we focus on our current team and what it takes to finally bring some success back to this franchise which has been wallowing in medicroity since the mid 90s. Time to get down to business.

18. CalgaryHab says:

Koivu is the reason my PIN starts with 11.

Thank you gally for taking 11 over after gomer – I was starting to hate using the ATM

• Timo says:

What is the rest of your PIN? is it 1151?

• Mattyleg says:

I bet the second half of the pin is 11 as well.
        Isn’t it, CH?
        ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CalgaryHab says:

If I was starting it today than most definitely. 51 is encompassed with most PIN’s so it may not be allowed.
        The last 2 digits started with a player who came over in a lopsided trade and although he wasn’t at the time, went on to become a doctor. It went sour through the years when Lucic demoralized it and was never the same – along with the stuffed ballot box to an all-star game. Now it is heart and soul but likes to get injured.

19. jrshabs1 says:

No trades or upgrades for our Habs? Diaz is still the # 3 Dman. Can’t wait for the game tonight…Is anybody laying down your hard earned $$$$$ on the Habs tonight? Didn’t think so.

Go Habs Go!!

Hahaha, like what Parros did in the post practice interview. Some bozo reporter asked him “did you have time to reflect about the incident?”

Parros: “Yes” (no further comment)

Reporter: “There was a lot of reflection around the league around the incident”

Parros: “Are you looking for a general comment?”

Seriously, these guys (reporters) do this for a living. Can they not come up with ONE intelligent question to ask?

Parros sure is one smart well spoken dude though.

21. gmur says:

I have good memories of Koivu in Montreal. The problem was, he wasn’t surrounded by much of a supporting cast most seasons.

As much as I liked him as a player and a person, when he left Montreal, I think he had given what he could and was ready to move on. I remember the sentiment in a lot of the written press was that he had brought the Canadiens as far as he could and it was time for him and the Habs for a change. I think the move to Anaheim gave a second wind to his career.

Not sure he would have had as much pleasure playing the game here as in Anaheim with Selanne et el. Good for him to have had so many good years since he left, both in health and in hockey.

22. Edman says:

My favourite all time hab was and will always be Saku Koivu. He was the reason I always wanted to wear #11 on my hockey teams, he was the definition of a leader on and off the ice. He had the most heart on this team than anyone else. He bled blu blanc et rouge.

I voted yes on this poll because we didn’t get anything for him anyways. Can anyone really say that they would rather have DD on our 3rd line than Koivu? He would be a perfect replacement for DD.

I can only wish that he will retire as a Hab, even if it is for a one day contract. That press conference would be an emotional one.

One thing I am truly proud of though, that the RIGHT person is wearing #11 now. That number is reserved for a player with nothing but heart, Gally wears both #11 and his heart on his sleeve, and I’m ok with that!

-Follow Me @EddieThoughts

• Les-Habitants says:

Haha, I just voted yes and was the 1111 vote. IT MUST MEAN SOMETHING!

• Hear hear. It’s not looking feasible, but if in the last 15 years there was ever a player who absolutely should retire a Hab, it’s Saku.

I admit 100% that this comes from my heart and not my head. Also, I’m perfectly okay with that.

And just because, The Ovation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9dbVL7PKk

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

23. Bob_Sacamano says:

Saku hadn´t even played a single game for the Habs when I fell in love with him. It was in 1995 when he lead Finland in Sweden to their first gold medal ever. His line with Ville Peltonen and Jere Lehtinen was so great to watch. Can´t believe it´s been more than 18 years. I feel old.

24. zephyr says:

I can remember wanting to get rid of koivu for a few yrs b4 he left. he was just another smurf on a small habs roster & got pushed around too easily. dd handles himself along the boards much more effectively. gotta produce more than chances tho. if ur small, u have to play like Gallagher or ur hurting the team.

25. JohnBellyful says:

Migawd, did you read what Therrien had to say about Koivu’s return to Montreal tonight?
    Here it is, courtesy of NHL.com (and me, cuz I’m the one’s who pasting it here):

“What I remember the most is the ovation the Canadiens fans gave him,” Therrien said after practice Wednesday. “I wasn’t behind the bench at the time, I had to go in the back because emotionally, that was a special moment. It is such an important moment in my life that I have a photo of that in my house to remind me of that day. There are moments in your life that stay with you, and his return stayed with me.”

Talk about giving the other side a heaping helping of locker room incentive!
    Imagine you’re a Duck – for at least one of you, this isn’t such a big stretch – and you read the coach of the team you’re about to play still has fond memories of your teammate. That he keeps a photo in his house of that special moment when Koivu returned after a long absence.
    Well, Koivu’s coming back again tonight after another long absence so what are you thinkin’? (Remember, you’re a Duck.)
    Right, the coach is going to be an emotional wreck tonight as soon as Koivu touches the ice.
    That in preparing for this game he was likely distracted and probably didn’t do too good a job of it.
    That he probably let it be known in a not-so-subtle manner that his players shouldn’t even think about throwing a body check in the little Finn’s direction.
    That he’ll probably leave the bench a few times during the game to head out back because he’s so overcome seeing his little buddy out there again, racing to and fro.
    If ever a team was ripe for the picking, it’s the Canadiens tonight, you’re thinkin’.
    And what must be going through the minds of the coach’s own players right about now? How about, “Geez, wished he showed a warm side of his personality talking about me to the press now and then. What’s a guy got to do around here to get some heartfelt praise – become a leper?”

Yep, Therrien really stuck his foot in it this time. I sure hope the team manages to overcome his pre-game blunder – as well as the ones he makes during the game – and eke out a win over a tough foe.
    (It would be nice, though, to see Saku get a couple of goals, just for old time’s sake.)

—————————— Now with 40 per cent less fact! ——————————

• knob says:

A bit of a stretch, imho. Therien et al are professionals and I’m confident that they will be prepared to play the ducks…doesn’t mean they will win tonight but…

• JohnBellyful says:

Didja think like a Duck? C’mon now, didja? Didja?
        Cuz d/Ducks don’t think like you and I do (and I won’t get into that whole bit about them being bird brains).
        Think about Daffy Duck. Donald Duck. It doesn’t take much to set them off. They see an opening in a rival, a way to exploit a weakness, they go in for the kill.
        You don’t want to ruffle their feathers EVER.

• knob says:

I’m not sure. Can you explain what a Duck is supposed to think like??

The Anaheim Ducks are not going to read that clip and think to themselves that they are in for a cake walk win. They might say that Therien is a pretty good guy or that Koivu meant a lot to the city of Montreal and the Habs organization but no chance that think Therien is going to let the troops lay down on their swords.

• JohnBellyful says:

Okay, gang, that confirms it, I’m losin’ my touch.
            Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it’s off HIO I go …

• Mattyleg says:

(You’re missing John’s humour here, Knob. He writes these tongue-in-cheek bits, which are pretty good if you know that he’s joking!!)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Matty, the writing’s on the wall.
            When the humour underlying the comment is so subtle as to be non-existent and that I need to start prefacing my posts with :)s, to signal their intent, it tells me I need to book a room in a retirement home in the Catskills.
            [Now where did I put my teeth?]

• Cal says:

What, JB? Don’t see the Habs eakins out a win because of this faux pas?

• JohnBellyful says:

You know me, Cal, I hate it when coaches make inappropriate remarks before a game.
        I hope Therrien learns his lesson tonight without his team having to pay the price.

• thehabs2002 says:

JohnBellyful, I don’t want to come off as being mean, but your not too bright

Half breezer for one quarter of a life

26. montreal ace says:

Koivu was a class act when he played for the Habs, and his hard work as a player will always be appreciated by me. I think his foundation to buy a scan for the Montreal General also show he cared for the fans and the city. World class man and player, the Canadiens should have kept him, I was sorry when the Brass just let him walk away.

27. knob says:

As much as I always enjoyed seeing Koivu on the team, I voted no. We have two up and coming stars at centre and an established top six centre right now.

28. Say Ash says:

Habs forwards you would not trade straight up for Saku?

29. leehammer says:

Would love to see Koivu in place of Desharnais

• Les-Habitants says:

The biggest mistake from Gainey’s tenure was letting Koivu walk. I still can’t believe they did, making no effort to keep him.

Koivu remains to this day my favorite Hab that I’ve seen play.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Letting him walk for nothing.

Imagine the fire sale we could have had that year: Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek.

(All players we let go for nothing – and Komi’s stock was still high.)

• Les-Habitants says:

Kovy tried to play hardball with salary, his own fault, and Komi – we TRIED to resign him, but Burke was new in TO and his tough talk got Komi swooning.

But Koivu…we didn’t even make the guy an offer. What a warrior that guy is

30. shiram says:

Bettman upholds Kaleta’s 10 game suspension.
    The Sabres now have more players suspended than regulation wins.

31. Habsrule1 says:

Repeat from last thread cause I want answers ;-)

I always loved Koivu and would have loved to see him retire as a Hab. I have these dreams that one day his number will be retired. He didn’t have the numbers to justify it, but he had everything else. Leader on and off the ice, gave 100% every single shift, and his dedication to the game and inspirational words and actions should mean just as much.

Beyond that, I cannot wait for the Summit! I’ll be there on Saturday morning, starting at Chez Cora!
    Who will I be seiing there?

Go Habs Go!!

• HardHabits says:

What time is the breakfast starting at again?

• Habsrule1 says:

According to Ian:

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. 1240 Drummond St.
        You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

Sounds awesome, doesn’t it? I’ll have you all know, I’m getting up at 6ish to leave from just east of Ottawa to be there for breakfast so I’m expecting some awesome conversation! ;-)

Can’t wait to see the dragonflies and many others! Unfortunately, Mrs. Habsrule1 isn’t as big a fan as I am, so my date will be a buddy of mine….!

Go Habs Go!!

• secretdragonfly says:

You’ll be seeing the dragonflies, among many others. We’ll be rolling into town in time for Friday rush hour and can’t wait for that first refreshment at Hurley’s.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ll be at the Hurl Friday night!
      As I said before, I’m on a 2-pint limit due to an any-day-now baby knocking on the door… it’s gonna be tough.

The Mattylegs will be at Cora’s for breakfast, probably close to the 8:30 kick-off time, then will be doing the HoF tour before the little one is shipped off to the grandparents’ so that mum and dad can have the rest of the evening for fun!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsrule1 says:

That sounds great Matty. Looking forward to meeting you. I never miss your posts…always great insight, whether ot not I agree with you.

Cheers.

Go Habs Go!!

• Ozmodiar says:

2 pint limit?!?

One might wonder if it’s you who is carrying the baby. ;)

Go with a 4 pint limit with cab fare on the side just in case.

• Mattyleg says:

Thanks HR1!
          Ozi, I know, bud.

She wasn’t too pleased with what I thought was a relatively modest (note the vague qualifiers) consumption during last Saturday’s game. Said I smelled like la robine; basically like a derelict brewery.

She’s got a point; I don’t want to be drunk for my kid’s birth, and she doesn’t want me breathing booze into her face while she’s in labour.

Understandable, really, but sucks nonetheless.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

Just sooooo much harder to have a few with a newborn hangin’ around, wakin’ up at all hours.

But yeah, best to not take advice from me.

With #1*, Mrs Oz went into labor in a restaurant. After she told me, I asked for the bill – and another pint. The look from across the table was priceless.

* I still call him #1

• DipsyDoodler says:

In the days before epidurals they gave the mom alcohol during labour! And the dad was out in the woods chopping trees or something.

• secretdragonfly says:

Yikes, 2 pint limit, eh? Well, it’s for a good reason – look forward to seeing you at the festivities.

32. DipsyDoodler says:

Hang on (from previous thread). Gainey the worst GM in history? Are you serious?

Yes there were a few hiccups at the end, but come on man. Irving Grundman!

Mr Boone are you reading this? Tell them! Please!

• Habsrule1 says:

Does Houle not qualify for some reason? Cause he was much worse than Gainey, wasn’t he?

Go Habs Go!!

33. Mattyleg says:

Somethingth!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. Maksimir says:

Looking forward to how Pateryn does… I think he has the same potential as Tinordi… unless they bench him in favour of Beaulieu?

• secretdragonfly says:

I love this summary from Hockey’s Future:

Pateryn could compete for a blue line position at the Canadiens’ training camp and could start the season at the NHL level with the injury to Alexei Emelin. He will be fighting for a defense opening on the team’s roster but it would be far better for his overall development to play top minutes at the AHL level instead of sitting out games in the NHL. He could be used as an injury replacement and adds defensive depth to the organization. The physical blueliner has the potential to be a shutdown defenseman at the NHL level in the near future.

Damn phone app.

36. JohnBellyful says:

This post, at the very least, is fourth write.

37. secretdragonfly says:

It figures – I post and another thread starts, lol.

Aside from his return from fighting cancer, my other vivid Saku memory is seeing him lying on the ice after taking Justin Williams’ stick in the face and thinking “oh god, he’s lost the eye”. I can’t remember ever getting so angry and feeling so helpless (well, Chara’s hit on Patches is a close second) and I am convinced that single incident cost the Habs the playoff series against Carolina. I still can’t look at Williams today (now with L.A.) without cursing.

• Luke says:

It hurts to be a thread killer.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, I’m with you on that one, SD.
      That was gutting.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• zephyr says:

I remember. no penalty on the play either. Carolina ran our goalie every game & no penalties. I think the refs were in the tank for bettman to bring the cup to Carolina that yr.. they never did squat after that yr.. in subsequent yrs, the cup moved around the u.s.. the theory being that it was bettman’s goal to increase the fan base in search of the big tv contract.
      it’s been 20 yrs since a cdn team won the cup. the nhl has no interest in it.

38. Chuck says: