Koivu ranked ninth in novel statistic

Captain Saku Koivu celebrates game-winning shootout goal against the New York Rangers on Tuesday.
Dave Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

So we know that hockey statistics have gotten, well, a little out of hand. But the folks at puckthathit.com have calculated PI/$, or how much a player is costing his team in penalty minutes.

Says the website: "By breaking down a player’s salary by minute, then multiplying it by their penalty minutes, we can determine how much players are being paid to sit in the box. Of course, some players (enforcers, agitators, fighters, etc.) are expected to log a large number of penalty minutes as per their role, but that is why they’re often paid less than the skilled players who either put the puck in the net, or keep it out. …"

The site has calculated a ranking of 80 players through games and penalty minutes of Wednesday, and Canadiens captain Saku Koivu is ranked ninth overall, at a per-minute cost of $76,270.33.

The other two Canadiens on the list: 46. Mike Komisarek, $26,524.39; 65. Tom Kostopoulos, $17,743.90. Ranked No. 1 is Chris Pronger of the Anaheim Ducks, at $147,357.72.

1. Chuck V. says:

I will say, though, that Koivu seems to be the only non-”physical” player in the top 10. That is to say he’s the only player you wouldn’t really expect to wind up in the box whereas a guy like Pronger or even a Lecavalier and an Iginla are known to throw the gloves or lay some hits. Koivu is on here because of his o-zone penalties.

Don’t get me wrong I’m no Koivu basher and have always been a huge fan, but this is certainly one area that the captain MUST improve on.

2. Ed says:

Koivu’s cost per penalty minute will go down, but for that to happen, he has to draw more penalties. Let’s hope they are not in the O Zone, so that Boone won’t have to type it in his game blog, plus they are not good penalties to draw. All these things change over the course of the year. I remember on one Puckcast, when Ryder only had 3 goals, somebody was joking that his goals cost $1 million each. Fortunately, they are now a lot cheaper, at $242,000 approximately.

3. 1010 says:

Watched Pratt and Taylor on Sportsnet tonight. Pratt asked Taylor and Ray Ferraro if they didn’t agree that the Habs were the most watchable team in the NHL. Both agreed with him that they are and that even a 3-2 game involving the the Habs was exciting. Pratt stated that old time hockey was back in Montreal. Even as far away as the left coast is noticing.

GO HABS.

4. Stefman says:

Not surprising really. It’s easy to get distracted while watching an Oilers game.

5. sidhu says:

I’m pleased by his rejuvenated play and especially by his SO goal against the Rangers. Let’s see Koivu lift the puck for a goal, then we’ll talk :)

I’m happy to be wrong as long as the boys keep winning and playing with this chemistry and character.

I will tell you that I liked Koivu’s response to a question about the Habs never having come back from a five goal deficit. He said, it’s probably because the teams with Lafleur and Beliveau were never down by five, they were the teams up by five goals.

6. The Teacher says:

Hey Sidhu,

Has Koivu shaken your unfaith in him?

:P

7. Dave Stubbs says:

Hadn’t seen the spicy photos, folks. Trying to keep this site friendly for all. You’re still linked to this item, however. I guess there’s no statistic on the value a player brings to a team in the category of intangibles, community service, fan adoration, etc. But then, some of the NHL’s official statistical categories boggle my mind.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

8. Ed says:

Sorry Dave. “Lead us not into temptation.”

9. Naila Jinnah says:

Cool link! Thanks!

10. Rogie30 says:

Great pictures, there is an article in Hockey Buzz about Koivu, very interesting.

11. Ed says:

I think Dave has taken away the link. We were distracted, and not talking about the penalties. But copy and paste still works. :)

12. The Teacher says:

ooof

very nice pictures, I agree :)

13. Dave Stubbs says:

This was presented as one more statistic in a sport sagging beneath the weight of them. Go down the list — there are a lot of outstanding hockey players on it. I don’t think anyone should use this to determine the worth of Saku Koivu to the Canadiens. He’s proven his value to his team and his community time and time again for a long, long time.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

14. gmd says:

So nothing gets written about how Koivu helped to set up the tying goal against the Rangers and then scoring the winner in the shoot out, but yet this makes it on the site? Just more fuel for the Koivu bashers.

Dave – Love the photos. Keep up the good work!

The Original 24 Cups

16. The Teacher says:

I’m confused, what photos?

17. Ed says:

Dave, forget the penalties. As 24Cups said, thanks for the photos. Just scroll down, and there are a couple of beauties. Just click for a full screen image. Dave, what have you done? I have forgotten if we won or lost last night. About the penalties, does Mike Boone know how many of Koivu’s were in the O Zone?

18. sidhu says:

Steal for the Isles – I think he’s worth a lot more than $2m/season. I imagine he would have fetched a lot more on the open market.

19. T-roy West says:

Hey showey, what pic’s are you guy’s talking about?

20. showey47 says:

Trent hunter off the trade market 5 years 10 million from the islanders

21. A. Berke says:

Did they take into account the cost of goals scored against the team while shorthanded or better yet, cost of games lost by taking unnecessary penalties especially in the offensive zone?

IMHO, those penalties are far more costlier than the salary per penalty minute cost.

Cheers,

Ali B.

22. sidhu says:

Good point – I’d be interested to see how the stats change by penalties taken in the offensive zone.

23. Ed says:

No, in the story above, click on the link “puckthathit.com”. Then scroll down the page, right to the bottom, and you will see several pictures on the way down.

24. The Teacher says:

I replied to you up there

25. Ed says:

OK, way up there. Just one minute apart in posts. You type much faster than me. I am a dinosaur.

26. The Teacher says:

If you mean the Photos you access from the main page, then I guess I am.

27. Ed says: