Koivu breaks out of slump

Canadiens captain Saku Koivu had been in a prolonged slump before scoring a pair against the Maple Leafs on Saturday night, and they couldn’t have come at a better time, The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes.

WIth the team’s Christmas party being held on Sunday and Koivu’s parents in town to watch the game, Captain K timed his goals perfectly.

"It’s big, there’s been a lot of talk about (the slump), but it’s even bigger that we got this win at home," Koivu said. "It’s not just the two points; it’s the way we played. We played a good 60 minutes defensively. We brought that good road game to home ice and it worked."

1. kilroy says:

Great post Kevin, thanks a lot.Hey listen i seem to be having trouble with my account, Gilles Poisson. Please help. Thanks.

KamiDave & Ali Berke–Pertaining to getting Dave Stubbs pictures that a lot of us are having problems getting in full. Well I took your advice and googled firefox onto my computer, that is done. But being a rookie computer geek (thats computer talk right!) I don’t know what to do with it now. Now i have downloaded it, how do i get this site on firefox so i get his pictures? Hope i don’t have to go school, that never worked! Thanks for the help!

We are well snowed in here, so guess what i’m doing to day after enjoying last evening, this is my second home and you people are a lot more fun to be with after a winning performance. HAVE A GREAT DAY HAB FANS IAN

3. Mattee. says:

Hey there Ian, I first wanted to thank you for saving the chemistry talk last night! I owe you one.

Now about Firefox. When you downloaded the program off the internet, you probably saved it to your computer (likely the desktop). You’re going to have to find it, open the program and install it. I don’t know if you’ve done that already… let me know.

4. The Teacher says:

Rather than just saving it to your PC, you can just open it when finished downloading and it will run just the same I think.

5. Fabio D says:

Thank you Saku! To all his detractors…. in your face.

6. gmd says:

I agree! All those that want Saku traded (which would be hard since he has a no trade clause) can all go sit in the corner and be quiet.

7. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

Saku really led by example last night. I do get tired of all the CBC broadcasters asking him if he’s happy with the team because he doesn’t celebrate like people would expect. I mean what is that? PJ Stock started all this garbage on HNIC a couple of weeks ago.

Bottom line: Koivu has a no trade clause in his contract and HE says he has never been asked to waive it.

8. Dave Stubbs says:

I had a great visit with Koivu in the dressing room post-game last night. The column with him will be on Inside/Out Monday morning. Which, unlike The Gazette, doesn’t fear today’s blizzard slowing home delivery.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

9. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

Awesome!! Thanks Dave! You’re the man! :)

10. Girth says:

Looking forward… I’ll set my alarm for early!

11. Rocket Richard says:

I’ve said more than once and will say it again.

With what Saku has to put up with, both his health and criticism with the language issue here in Quebec, sometimes its hard to smile. And you have to show 20 other players why they let you wear the C on your uniform.

Saku may not be a Hall of Famer, but he is all heart and plays the game like you should be playing it.

The Rocket Richard – “you must hate to lose”
    Read and Research Thousands of Articles Here

12. Drive_4_25 says:

Please oh please let this be the beginning of the end!

“God is a HABS fan whose still pissed at the ROY trade!!!”

13. Smart Dog says:

Chemistry is so important. Even the great ones find players who make them able to be what they are. Look at Jagr – the wrong line-mate and he’s a chump. The right one and he’s the league’s worst threat. It seems that Koivu maybe has needed someone to breath a little life into his play, instead of just the other way around…. Koivu has been the motor that makes that first line go for years. It’s great to see Higgins developing into a dominating player, and the young Kostitsyn kid may be just the smart finesse player the two of them need to help bind the line together. He seemed last night to be finding his linemates with quick smart passes – sometimes even when I was hoping he would shoot. He seems excited to be there, and making the most of it with tons of energy and skill that at 20 is worth taking note of. Let’s hope there is more of this in our future – not every game can be like last nights, but how about 2 out of 3?

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price