‘Knuckles’ Nilan joins TSN Radio 690

Former Canadien Chris Nilan will have his own show on Montreal’s TSN Radio 690 beginning Monday, March 18.

Off The Cuff With Chris Nilan will air weekdays from 1-3 p.m., with Nilan also joining host Tony Marinaro on The Intermission from noon until 1 p.m.

“There is no other team I’d rather talk about and no other city I’d rather live in,” Nilan, who was a guest on the first Hockey Inside/Out show, said in a news release. “I’m honoured to join the home of the Montreal Canadiens and work with the same passionate Habs fans that welcomed me with open arms during my hockey career.”

Said Mitch Melnick, host of Melnick In The Afternoon on TSN Radio 690: “When Chris made it clear he wanted to pursue a career in broadcasting we made no promises. What we did do was open a door so he could reconnect to the city he loves and to the many fans who love him. To his credit, Chris has kicked that door down.”

Nilan spent 13 seasons in the NHL, including 10 with the Canadiens. He holds the franchise record for most career penalty minutes (2,670), but also scored in double figures three times in his career, including a 21-goal season in 1984-85 and 19 in 1985-86 when the Habs won the Stanley Cup.

Below is a feature story The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell wrote about Nilan when the documentary The Last Gladiators, focusing on his life, had its Montreal premiere last October. The film was released Tuesday on DVD.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Documentary brought Nilan to tears

PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE ON OCT. 25, 2012

BRENDA BRANSWELL
THE GAZETTE

In the opening sequence of The Last Gladiators the only things visible on the black screen are Chris Nilan’s hands.

He points out past wounds from hockey fights: Teeth in his hand, a shattered knuckle, the spot where his finger was almost bitten off.

The documentary film about hockey enforcers features interviews with former National Hockey League tough guys about the role. There are clips from Marty McSorley, Tony Twist and the late Bob Probert, among others.

But the main focus is Nilan, who racked up more than 3,500 penalty minutes in his 13 years in the NHL and earned the nickname Knuckles.

Through interviews with Nilan, his family and childhood friends – along with former teammates and hockey writers – the film looks at his career, his slide into drug addiction after he retired and subsequent recovery.

Nilan was in tears when he first saw the documentary at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2011.

“It was tough for me to watch,” he said.

The focus on Nilan was because he was such an interesting character and “so exceedingly honest about himself, the league, everything,” said Alex Gibney, the director.

“And that made him just extraordinarily compelling.”

In the documentary, retired enforcer Todd Ewen, who played for the Habs in the early 1990s, described himself as a “regretful tough guy.”

“I loved the game of hockey and I didn’t like my role,” Ewen said.

Nilan said in an interview this week that he loved to fight, but didn’t grow up longing to be a fighter.

“I grew up with dreams of being Bobby Orr.”

When it became evident that wasn’t going to happen, Nilan said: “The fighting avenue opened up an opportunity to become a hockey player and that to me was key.”

Fighting was easy for Nilan. The hard part was becoming a hockey player, the guy who plays every shift with his line and can be relied on to play in different situations.

“I achieved those goals,” Nilan said. “And that to me, that’s the thing I’m most proud of.”

Nilan spent 10 seasons with the Canadiens and in three consecutive seasons in the mid-’80s scored 16, 21 and 19 goals, respectively.

He feels indebted to the Canadiens for not limiting him to one role.

“They weren’t satisfied with me just being a fighter- and that started from Day 1,” Nilan said. “(Former coach) Claude Ruel worked with me day in and day out. I loved the man. I mean, I absolutely love Claude Ruel.”

Others helped Nilan when he was with the Habs, like former coach Jacques Lemaire who told Nilan he fought too much.

“I almost didn’t trust him when he told me that,” recalled Nilan, because he grew up watching the Bruins in Boston and “once a guy stopped fighting he was out the door.”

“So if anything, like I said in the film, I kicked it up a notch.”

In the film, Nilan, who underwent 26 different surgeries over the years, talks about his struggles after he retired. He ended up taking painkillers, which helped in the short term, “but once I got addicted to them, I was a slave to it.”

He went into treatment for a few months, but began drinking again, and eventually starting taking pills again and shooting heroin.

After a bad car accident in which he narrowly missed an 18-wheeler, “I said I got to try and kick this stuff,” Nilan recounts in the film. He went into treatment again.

The most moving moments occur when Nilan and his father, Henry, a former Green Beret in the U.S. army, get emotional on screen. He was with his dad when the elder Nilan watched the film for the first time and was dying to see his response.

“And afterward he said to me: ‘Geez, I wish I was able to get the questions ahead of time.’”

Nilan believes it bothered his father in a sense that it comes out in the film that he was ashamed of his son. But Nilan sounds like he took it in stride. “If that’s his true feelings and that’s how he felt, then c’mon, that’s what it is,” Nilan said. “And that’s okay.

“It was hard for me to watch, but it’s okay because those were his feelings and he expressed them.

“They’re so happy I’m sober and clean,” he said of his parents. “It was hard on my family.

“My dad didn’t understand a lot of it. Listen, if I had cancer, if I had that disease, I think my father would have been so sympathetic to me.”

But Nilan’s affliction happened to be the disease of addiction, he added, and people look at that as self-induced.

Nilan said he strongly believes he would have had the same problem had he been a lawyer, a mailman or worked on the back of a garbage truck.

When he was approached for the film, Nilan had just come out of drug and alcohol treatment.

He believes many people identify with and like enforcers.

“But I don’t know if they really know what each and every guy goes through to fulfil that role that he has, which I believe is the most difficult role in sports,” he said.

“I hope people see just how tough it is for the guys to have played that role.”

He also believes the film will give people a sense of hope.

“No matter how bad things get in our lives, there’s al-ways something deep down inside us that we can tap into that will allow us to get back on our feet and change our lives.”

1. Chuck says:

Any word on Jack Edwards this morning? I heard that his head exploded last night… probably would have meant at least a night in hospital.

___________________________________________________

• BrianSkrudland says:

He’ll probably prepare an incoherent rant about the fact that the Pens have a few players from Quebec, resulting in unfair treatment of his poor beloved Bruins.

——–
      Wedding Crashers Rule #71: No excuses. Play like a champion!

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I think my hate of Edwards and everything Bruins is a little unhealthy. Then again so is my love of everything Habs :D.

2. habsfan0 says:

MLSE has just announced across the board price increases for Leaf and Raptor ticket holders.

While crime may not pay,apparently losing does in Toronto!

• HabsFan1111 says:

The leafs are the ultimate investment. No matter what product you put out, people are lining up to buy it at higher prices each and every year without fail.

3. habsfan0 says:

Leafs lose..nice!

Bruins lose..nicer!

Expression on Julien’s face when his team is penalized..priceless!

To Mr. Chris Nilan!,
    From Bare Knuckles, to Bare Bones of Bearing your life story!

No one really knows the heartache of a man who has to constantly play the game of life. Meaning, living up to the pressures of others expectations and never wanting to let people down.

Hiding your inner most fears of being found out that you are as venerable as the next guy. Living with constant paranoia just trying to fit in and be needed and wanted for whom you really are. Constantly trying to find your spot in the sun.
    The constant emotional and physical pain of trauma, to the head and body are overwhelming and poorly understood by society.

You have been down some long and lonely spokes on the wheel my friend.

The most liberating time in ones life, is when one shouts and faces his true self, feelings and emotions and is able to share them with everyone. There is now, no longer any need to hide in the shadows. Your head is carried high and you walk with shoulders back my good man!

Congratulations Chris Nilan,
    It takes a humble man to break into the light! some never get there.

5. Marc10 says:

Bruins lost. It’s going to be a fine day!

I chuckled watching Julien question the highstick call on his goalie who clipped Kunitz in the mouth… #Embellishment

What a douche!

6. youngwun says:

Finally a game tonight !

7. Lafleurguy says:

Which team has the greater pool of talent, the New York Rangers or the Ottawa Senators?

……oh, almost forgot to add, the question is about the coaching staff.

8. HabsFan1111 says:

Anyone else think Mason Raymond’s spinorama should not have counted?!? He had taken a half (maybe full) stride toward centre before he roofed it, am I the only one that has a problem with this???

Saw that as well and thought it looked definitively like the puck was no longer moving forward but backwards. Seems like the NHL has no idea how to govern the rules of the shootout, just as they have no idea how the rules of hockey apply either….

• krob1000 says:

There is an exemption in the penalty shot rule for spinoramas as the puck is in continuous motion…there is also an exemption for the “lacrosse” goal as long as there is no high sticking on it

• twilighthours says:

I think it’s stupid, but I also think the shootout is a farce.

• HabsFan1111 says:

Ok good, not just me. Someone should just skate as fast as they can, snowjob the goalie, wait til he thinks the play is over then roof it. Would be essentially the same as Raymond’s goal, just a less ‘fancy’ version…

Not sure if this was posted already, but the players are getting whacked with higher escrow payments, up to 20% from 10%.

• habsfan0 says:

Good morning,Burly!

So, will the Steelers make a play for Ryan Fitzpatrick?
      If anything,Pickpatrick is sure to add an element of excitement to the Steelers’ offence.

10. habsfan0 says:

As has been mentioned previously, in recent years when the Habs have come off a successful prolonged road trip, they usually dial up a stinker during their first game back at home.

Is history about to change?

Lets hope so Phil. Hey who is going to sign Fitzpatrick, backup QB maybe? My Steelers lost their speedster Wallace, 60 million buck from the Dolphins, 30 million guaranteed! Guy dropped a lot of passes last year though.

• secretdragonfly says:

Hey, if they’re not handing out a Molson Cup, I think our odds will improve.

11. HABZ24 says:

Awesome nilan is the modern day don cherry but better speaks his mind doesnt pull punches an upgrade on milk and cookies play it safe randy tieman. Ill be listening congrats knuckles !

12. Marc10 says:

Holy is Torts ever coming apart at the seams.

First Lindy Ruff, now Boucher and Torts… I would imagine Laviolette is also somewhat on the hot seat. It’s the year of the marque coach coming undone.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think you’re right. I’m surprised Boucher hasn’t been let go and Ruff hired. Ruff would be a great fit in NY if Torts is dismissed. You think maybe Laviolette goes as part of a total house cleaning with Paul Holmgren?

• Marc10 says:

The Rangers risk missing the playoffs so they’re likely to move first. Ruff might work there…

Tampa Bay is going nowhere this season. They’ll probably wait until the offseason and give the guy in the AHL a clean slate.

I doubt Holmgren gets canned, but if no one is listening to Laviolette, the coach will go in the offseason. Holmgren will get a pass for now.

McPhee in Washington though…

• habs-fan-84 says:

If Torts gets canned, Ruff has to be the top candidate for that spot imo

• HabFanSince72 says:

Tampa is trying to rebuild itself after the Owen and Kroules fiasco.

Boucher took them to one game of the finals in his first year. They aren’t doing all that bad either – they are the only plus team outside the playoffs.

If you look at their roster, they do not have an established NHL keeper, their defence is nondescript, and their 6th and 7th forwards in TOI/G are Benoit Pouliot and Tom Pyatt.

I don’t see how you can blame Boucher for their league position.

Plus, they are selling out every night so no real emergency.

Agree with your assessment. I think Stevie Y is smart enough to realize that Boucher doesn’t have a competitive enough roster at this point. Challenge will be how Yzerman convinces Vinik to buyout Lecavalier so as to free up room to provide a better roster.

13. Habfan10912 says:

This must have been such a thrill. Local goalie coach suits up for a Ducks game.

After what seemed like an eternity, it is finally GAME DAY!

Hope the boys come out in the FIRST flying.

15. Gerry H says:

Boy, branding is important, no? Sure, the Bruins PLAY big and the Slovak juggernaut on the blue line IS big, but they are, of course, the BIG, Bad Bruins, right?

Wrong. According to this guy’s numbers, they are 26th in the league by weight and 21st by height: http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/2013-nhl-teams-by-weight-height-and-age.html

Edit: Factor out the outlier (Chara) and they’d be Habs-sized.

• Marc10 says:

Yes, but they can fight…

- Thornton
      - Lucic
      - Chara
      - McQuaid
      - Boychuck
      - Campbell
      - Ference
      - Kelly
      - Marchand

They will drop the gloves and usually pick their spots. The first 5 seldom lose a fight.

It’s rare to have so many guys on roster willing to go. Heck, even Horton plays with a bit of an edge. That’s the key really. They like to fight. Few lineups can match that kind of pack mentality…

Still, every dog has his day.

• 24 Cups says:

Totally agree. Average weight and height don’t always tell the tale. Look no further than San Jose for proof of that fact.

Adding Hamilton that high up in the draft is also a real bonus.

Seguin, Hamilton and Rask are allowing the Bruins to re-tool on the run. Also a great 2nd round talent pool with the likes of Marchand, Spooner, Knight and Khokhlachev. Good late 1st rounders in Caron and Subban.

Like it or not, the Bruins are solid thanks to Peter Chiarelli.

16. jols101 says:

Good news everyone, it has already been 3 days since Prust’s injury he should be back in the lineup in 7 to 11 days. Love that guy.

17. Mattyleg says:

Just watched Tortellini’s post-game interview.

Man, that guy is on his way OUT.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. Habfan10912 says:

Morning all. Fell asleep on the sofa last night with the Bruins up 2-0. Woke up several hours later, checked the score and to my happy surprise they lost 3-2 in regulation. Oh happy day! Then I checked Toronto’s score. Oh happier day! Smiles all around my friends.

19. scavanau says:

Maybe the Corey Perry price tag will be reduced through his inevitable suspension?

20. RetroMikey says:

CHRIS NILAN WAS A TRUE GLADIATOR AND IT WAS A GREAT DOCUMENTARY TO WATCH!!!
    The guy could score as well when he played for us!
    Love ya Chris!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

21. marlboro says:

So proud of you Chris Nilan! Always my favorite hockey player. Can’t wait for the show. Your legacy won’t only be for being one of the toughest to ever play, but will more importantly be remembered for how one can fall on hard times, and cowboy up again to achieve even greater levels of success. Best of luck with everything you do. They way you had the backs of our boys when you played, the people of Montreal have yours now! Keep fighting Baby!

-Jon

• RetroMikey says:

We should sign Chris to a contract.
      He could still kick the ass out of some of these enforcers they have in today’s NHL.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

Add this guy to the list of players the Habs should pick up in a trade:-)

(I trust he’s not related to Trevor.)

• Whatever says:

I feel sorry for the owner Benjamin Garza. Missed his chance to kill someone with his gun. I’m sure another occasion will arise.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Steve. In my youth I was drunk on many occasions. Not once did I enter someone else’s home and refuse to leave. Either the alcohol these guys are drinking today is a lot different or this young fella has a problem. I hope he finds the solution. Sad.

• 24 Cups says:

I was just reading about a case in some hick football town in Ohio where some of the players have been charged with rape. It appears that the lowest common dedominator in our society has just fallen into a sinkhole.

Fonzie providing some must see TV for all of us today. Evidently the Habs aren’t the only bad team in the league the Rangers can lose too. Fonzie refuses to give the Sabres credit, says they were ripe for the picking.

Enjoy everyone!

• Habfan10912 says:

Torts is a classless coach who thinks bullying is the way to lead his troops. It’s not working anymore. Right now he should count his blessings that the rest of the conference stinks or his team would be so far out of the playoffs that he’d have THE MELTDOWN of all meltdowns.
      Very rarely do you see the opposing coach again and again not give credit to the other team. NY has another coach in another sport very similar to him. His name is Ryan and how’s that working out for him?

• Lafleurguy says:

Just want to say “Good Morning” boys.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Heard Chiarelli on the radio here yesterday talking about the Daugavins shootout move. He wasn’t too impressed, but what kills me is he commented that he thought that Daugavins interferred with his goalie by pushing him with his backside. I have seen the replay about 12 times and I see no contact. How does this Bruins team constantly come up with this BS crap to complain about?

25. Habfan17 says:

I just went to check out the boxscore for the Dallas – Nashville game last night. Another game, no points for Cole. What struck me as odd was that although Nashville scored 4 goals, only 5 players on Dallas were charged with a minus 1. Not sure how that works.

Habfan17

NHL scouts re-rank 2012 draft class.

1. Nail Yakupov, RW (actually taken 1st by Edmonton)
    2. Alex Galchenyuk, C (taken 3rd by Montreal)
    3. Ryan Murray, D (taken 2nd by Columbus)
    4. Jacob Trouba, D (taken 9th by Winnipeg)
    5. Hampus Lindholm, D (taken 6th by Anaheim)
    6. Mikhail Grigorenko, C (taken 12th by Buffalo)
    7. Morgan Rielly, D (taken 5th by Toronto)
    8. Filip Forsberg, RW (taken 11th by Washington)
    9. Griffin Reinhart, D (taken 4th by NY Islanders)
    10. Andrey Vasilevski, G (taken 19th by Tampa Bay)
    11. Teuvo Teravainen, C (taken 18th by Chicago)
    12. Scott Laughton, C (taken 20th by Philadelphia)
    13. Tomas Hertl, C (taken 17th by San Jose)
    14. Olli Maatta, D (taken 22nd by Pittsburgh)
    15. Derrick Pouliot, D (taken 8th by Pittsburgh)
    16. Malcolm Subban, G (taken 24th by Boston)
    17. Mathew Dumba, D (taken 7th by Minnesota)
    18. Zemgus Girgensons, C (taken 14th by Buffalo)
    19. Radek Faksa, C (taken 13th by Dallas)
    20. Tom Wilson, RW (taken 16th by Washington)
    21. Stefan Matteau, C (taken 29th by New Jersey)
    22. Mike Matheson, D (taken 23rd by Florida)
    23. Oscar Dansk, G (taken 31st by Columbus)
    24. Henrik Samuelsson, C (taken 27th by Phoenix)
    25. Mark Jankowski, C (taken 21st by Calgary)

• jols101 says:

Interesting. Maybe it is my Hab colored glasses but I think our boy Galchenyuk will be the best of the bunch in a couple years. (even though he seems to have hit a wall the last few games)

• Lafleurguy says:

Always appreciative of yours and HabFab’s due diligence. Ultimately, the ranking of most significance is when these young ones make it to the show and the productivity they will have then. Case in point, the turnout of Habs’ ’98 draft from which Ribeiro, Beachemin, Markov, and Ryder made it but not their first round pick, Eric Chouinard.

“May you live in interesting times.”

27. WindsorHab-10 says:

Chris Nilan wore the Habs colors with pride. Best of the luck to you.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…he ain’t a Hab, but a good story; Cory Conacher

CBC Sports: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/ID/2341796899/

• 24 Cups says:

His production has started to fall off (just like his team) but this is the kid who should be rookie of the year.

Right now Gallagher is in tough against Huberdeau.

Us folks here in Burlington are very proud of Cory, his pops coaches a team here with a buddy of mine. Kid is the epitomy of hard work.

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Who wudda thought a Guy with a bean-town accent gets His own radio show in Montréal …hockey transcends ! :)

…Chris Nilan would be good listening in My car on a rainy or snow-bound drive home

30. durocher says:

Nothing but respect for Nilan. I look forward to watching the documentary.

31. AH says:

Was at the Oil Kings game tonight vs Saskatoon, the Blades clipped them in a shootout 3-2, saw both Dietz and Thrower. Thrower is the more physical player, likes to hit and mix it up, challenged a guy to fight tonight, declined. He’s got pretty good wheels, played solid, and can jump in the offense if need be. For the physical reputation he has, he looked only average size.

As for Dietz; this guy’s a player; good size, real smooth skater, good wheels, makes smart plays. You can tell he has real good hockey sense, he reminded me a lot of Markov, not overly physical, but was when needed to be. Cool out there, and offensively, was always looking for opportunities to jump in. They’ll both look good in a Habs uniform, especially Dietz; another poster said I would be more impressed with him, and he was right.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Awesome.

Dietz is sort of progressing like Morgan Ellis progressed last year. Ellis’ stat sheet in the AHL isn’t overly impressive, but I’m betting he’s a guy that will progress as time goes on.

So here’s hoping that Dietz becomes an NHL player one day. Oh, and the Habs have Magnus Nygren who at age 22 just won the Salming award in the SEL for top Swedish Dman in the SEL – apparently he has a very good point shot.

32. habsfor25 says:

Great guy nilan, I had the chance to see him at the elementary school I work for when he did a presentation on bullying. Great guy

33. homerbowen says:

Congratulations “Knuckles” it will be a great show. You are one of my 5 favorite Habs

34. Mr. Biter says:

Both Broons and Leafs lose. Great night. Games in hand only matter if you win them.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

So Bishop starts in goal for Sens tomorrow (as per Stubbs)… Yikes. Me no likie.

Gallgher is almost a foot shorter than that guy :)

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Ian Cole: new $ 60 million technology collaboration between the NFL & GE to speed diagnosis and improve treatment for mild traumatic brain injury; http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/nfl-ge-team-fight-concussions-205142714.html

37. citizenSanto says:

Nice news for Knuckles!
    Keep fighting the good fight Chris.

—————————————
    Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

38. deuce6 says:

I noticed Phaneuf’s gloves weren’t glued on, tonight..He fought Andrew Ladd….LOL

Tough guy..

——————

Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

39. HabFanSince72 says:

So Randy Carlyle pulls James Reimer who was playing in his home province in front of his family.

Reimer had given up 4 goals on 28 shots. Not good but not bad either.

40. habsfan0 says:

By Friday morning, what event is most likely to have occurred?

1)New Pope chosen.
    2)North Korea invades South Korea.
    3)Leaf losing streak hits season high 4 games,parade route on Yonge Street put on hold.

I’ll go with door number 3.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…ALL the above ? :)

…in fact I can see the new Pope performing an exorcism of Harold Ballard just as the North Korean Army invades the Air Canada Centre

…Loserville will ALWAYS be Loserville ! :)

• The Dude says:

( 2) is such a wild scenario with WW III implications that we just should leave it alone….let the Biblical theorist rejoice with it’s potential interpretation,that maybe it come’s true and the hand of their God is really in play as foretold in the prophecies, for the end is near! Figured something was up with the Habs in 1st place :)

41. TheLogician says:

Julien getting some well-deserved time in the (not so favorable) spotlight these days. what a clown.

42. Habs_Fan_In_San_Diego says:

HAHA … Winnipeg fans were chanting “LET’S GO BLUE JAYS”.

I guess hating on the Leafs really is universal.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Also, I think they will be chanting “LET’S GO PADRES” at the Chargers games this year…geez.

• The Juice says:

There were lots of Leaf fans at that game so I wouldn’t be surprised it was them given they do it at the ACC when the Leafs stink up the joint…so much the better…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

43. deuce6 says:

No mention on the Leafs/Jets game on TSN.ca…lol

I may be blind, but can anyone else see the post game article?

EDIT: I just went back and it just went up..Carry on..

——————

44. PrimeTime says:

Canada’s team! Burke the builder. Many Ontario Habs fans sobering up?? I guess they can’t bully their way to wins afterall. It’s horrible we haven’t a “tough” team. Fans just have to settle for skill and smart team play i guess.

45. piper says:

Sens just picked up Matt Kassian. Look out McLaren.

46. habsfan0 says:

It’s a double play!

Jack Edwards & Joe Bowen both pissed off tonight.

47. PrimeTime says:

So much again for so many HIO pundits

48. Habilis says:

Carlyle pulls Reimer with less than 10 minutes to go in a 4-1 game… Scrivens lets in first shot.

Now 5-2 Jets.

The Leafs collapse begins in 3…2…1…

49. HNS says:

2 goal lead = death.

50. habsfan0 says:

Laffs now 3 points out of 9th.
    Leaf Nation: Start Your Panicking!

51. frontenac1 says:

Leafs coach is nuts! What a Dork!Pulls Reimer ?

• Mr. Biter says:

WE had posters wanting Price pulled in a 4-4 tie so obviously MT is smarter or he does not listen to us on this site. All the free advise he is missing. For Shame.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

52. Max says:

Julien claims that the Pens embellished all 3 goals and he wants the league to review each and every one of them.

53. SlovakHab says:

We are still in 1st because we played 1 less game than Pens.

If Jets win today, they will be just 3 points behind Leafs, with a game in hand. All is not lost – there is still a chance of Toronto missing the playoffs, which would be absolutely hilarious!

• Stevie.Ray says:

Can’t remember where I read it, but apparently Toronto has a very unfavourable second half of the season

• SlovakHab says:

They have been riding a huge shooting luck the first half of the season (look no further than to that Pens game a couple of days ago). While lots of media including TSN were asking: “What’s the reason of Leafs’ success this season?”, their own blog PPP have shown using numbers that they were not a bit better than in the past seasons. They started hot, but they will regress sooner or later. This team is 1 losing streak away from losing their playoff spot.

54. habsfan0 says:

Boston has allowed 15 goals in 3rd period all year.
    2 to Habs,3 tonight to Penguins.

That’s 33% to these 2 teams if my math serves me right.

55. savethepuck says:

Another 3rd period collapse by the Bruins on the 2nd game of a back to back. Not so easy to stay strong in the 3rd period when you are playng more than 2 1/2 games a week.
    They have 2nd game of a back to back in Pittsburgh again this weekend too. Hoping for the same result then too.
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

56. donmarco says:

Sorry, off topic, but before signing off, kudo’s to Knuckles. We’re proud of you, and personally, I’m glad you won’t be calling in any more on that crappy cell phone while you’re washing the dishes. Break a leg. Just not mine.

57. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Bruins lose…Julien cries…cue the Youtube videos!

58. Mattyleg says:

I don’t understand why people think that just because Boston has games in hand that they will finish first.

They have an insane schedule this month. There’s no way that they’ll be able to win them all. They looked exhausted against the Pens, came out sharp in the first, then faded FAST from the middle of the second.

Games in hand mean nothing when you have to play them with no breaks.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• donmarco says:

I’m with you 100%. Habs already have those points in the bank. They still have to earn them. And they play Pittsbrugh again this week.

• SlovakHab says:

I also think that 17 games in 31 days (Bruins March schedule) will take its toll on them.

• Phil C says:

It is not foregone conclusion if that’s what you mean. Montreal has a very good chance of finishing first. Boston has an even better chance, but they have to win the games.

• GrosBill says:

Not really the game in hand factor that makes me think they will be in 1st in the east. My resoning is that I think they are the best and most consistent team in the east (ugg, I think I just threw up a little).

59. Alex_425 says:

Man, I’d be fuming if I were Julien right now, did ya see all that Penguins embellishment?

60. Danno says:

Bruins are going down!

Rock Lobster!

Down….down….down…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. Habilis says:

So, what will Julien complain about tonight? They didn’t score on that 5 on 3 so he can’t whine about Kunitz. But everyone knows that the B’s can’t lose a game without there being some kind of cheating from the opposition.

• donmarco says:

The schedule. “The guys are tired and gave a great effort”. P’shaw, I say. Haven’t seen the Habs collapse like that this year. Sorry, yes we have.

62. donmarco says:

And in the “who cares?” Game of the night TB leading Florida. More importantly Jets up 3 -1.

63. christophor says:

he he, boston!

64. ffenliv says:

Well, I was totally wrong about the Pens/Bs game. I eventually gave up, and didn’t want a Pens comeback to avoid a 3-point game among other East conference leaders.

Happy to have been so wrong!

65. donmarco says:

And now the Gooins get a day off, then 3 in 4 nights. They were one tired looking team in the third. They’re certainly not invincible.

66. Bripro says:

Now, if they can keep the camera on Julien…
    Priceless!

67. Mattyleg says:

Ring-a-ding-ding for YOU, bozos.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. Danno says:

Puck deflected off Marchand’s nose

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

69. ffenliv says:

I may have asked this here before, but I honestly can’t remember, and seeing some comments here tonight prompts me to ask again:

Why do people think Toronto gets some sort of help from the refs?

Sure, they’ve got considerably fewer minors than Montreal, but they’ve also not benefited from as many calls in their favour, either.

Toronto has, in fact, had 23 fewer PP opportunities than the Habs, a gap of almost 1 pp/game.

The comments tonight that made me ask were a couple making cracks about how the Pens got a 5-on-3, and the refs must have mistaken them for the Leafs.

Total Leafs 5v3 this year: 12
    Total Habs 5v3 this year: 10

That’s right, we’ve benefited from some 23 powerplays more, and the tradeoff for ‘league corruption’ is a pair of 5 on 3s for the Leafs.

Montreal’s 5-on-4 PP currently operates at an even 20%. at 1 in 5, those 23 bonus powerplays have resulted in twice as many goals as the Leafs 5-on-3s could have, even if their 5v3 play was at 100%.

Surely if the league and its officials are corrupt, they’d notice this, no?

• Stevie.Ray says:

Toronto gets favoured in big games. The ones their piss poor fans actually watch. They also usually get favoured by the league and tv stations. Their season opener and season closer are almost always at home, because they know thats when their terrible fans will actually watch, and the league wants to give them the edge.

70. Alex_425 says:

Come on Pens, hold oooonnnnnnnn.

71. Danno says:

Good. I hate three point games. Plus I prefer Bruins lose. Much prefer that.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

72. Old Bald Bird says:

3-2 Pens. Poor Teddy Bears.

73. frontenac1 says: