Kings can polish off Coyotes today, NYR up 2-1

Chris Kreider

New York Rangers’ Chris Kreider celebrates his goal, the Blueshirts’ second in Saturday’s 3-0 win over New Jersey.
Jim McIsaac, Getty Images

The Los Angeles Kings can advance Sunday to their first Stanley Cup final since 1993 with a win on home ice vs. the Phoenix Coyotes.

If they do, the Kings will have a little time off to prepare for an opponent they don’t yet know; on Saturday, the New York Rangers used the shutout goaltending of Henrik Lundqvist to beat the Devils in New Jersey 3-0 and take a 2-1 lead in their Eastern Conference final.

1. frontenac1 says:

Ah yes, sunny,24.deqrees,my son and his buddies getting the dock in at the lake.24 Heineken and steaks for the “Que . A “True North” 2-4 weekend. Get outside,wherever you are and enjoy this weather guys!The summers are short in The Great White North!

2. habsavvy says:

I don’t see Hartley as the next habs coach.
    ther’s a reason he’s coaching in Switzerland.
    it’s because he’s been blackballed by the NHL and nobody wants him.
    Crawford is our man, with Robinson as assist coach and someone else as assist coach.

3. adamkennelly says:

Bob Hartley = no freakin chance. Marc Crawford = no freakin chance…I highly doubt they are even being considered. I still think it will be Savard or Roy. Carbo back as an assistant.

• Chorske says:

I don’t believe for a second that Roy is in the running, Bergevin is too smart to make his first head coach hire such an unknown and potentially volatile quantity.

Also, why in the world would Carbo come back… as an assistant!… can you imagine that phone call? “Hey Carbo, this is the Organization That Fired You From Your Last Head Coach Gig. We’d like to hire you back as an assistant to a guy with no NHL head coaching experience.” SO not happening, dude.

4. habstrinifan says:

Didnt want NYRto beat NJ but am becoming selfishly bias for NJ to be eliminated.

Reason 1:Larry in or out??
    As soon as NJ is out we can have ‘final proof’ maybe if Larry Robinson is in picture. Obviously cant get definitive answer right now due to denials caus eof conflict of interest etc.

Reason 2: Steve Emminger.
    Continuing my looking into a good candidate to acquire as an UFA for a relatively low cap hit. Physical D with some skill, NHL experience, stay at home type.

Eminger was drafted in first round by Washington. Hasnt really progressed. But maybe others here can keep eye on his play and see what they think about him as one of the ‘physical stay at home’ (not a star) type play on our blueline.

He plays few minutes but we could get a good idea based on rest of playoffs.

Best reason for NYR to beat NJ… So that LA could kick their a**** and send Torts into fits.

5. mrhabby says:

lots of negative talk about the coaching issue. truth be told there just is not many star candidates around as all emlpoyed by other teams so habs are left with the hartley, crawfords. iam sure mb would want the best available person.

so nice outside so not sticking around…but go kings go.

6. FanCritic says:

if the Habs want more losing seasons. sign Bob Hartley. gotta bring in new blood not old blood that’s been hired and fired.

7. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Bob Hartley is not right for the job.
    He is basically a Jacques Martin clone, the fans would revolt, and we would be stuck with another wasted season of weak, pathetic, “system” oriented, 1995-style hockey.

We would be better off taking a chance on Roy, Crawford, or Carbonneau.

8. Habs_4_ever says:

So, what’s going on with Rick Dudley? Is it a done deal with him?
    It’s the only semblance of a “MOVE” that we heard of and It still hasn’t officially happened. Maybe I’m just being to impatient. It’s going to be a long summer!

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
    -This Old House, GMC commercial-

• Lafleurguy says:

We could go hang with our resident Guru of Fishin’ 10912!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• aj says:

@ Habs_4_ever:

It’s going to be a long summer so I suggest that you enjoy it. You and I like other Habs fans are burning are heads off impatiently regarding the next moves – new coach, new admin, new players, new trades, etc…

Like someone told me here, relax and let the process go through the next 2 months.

Here are the pool match-ups for the 2014 Olympic Games.

Pool A: Russia, Slovakia, USA and qualifier 3

Pool B: Finland, Canada, Norway and qualifier 2

Pool C: Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland and qualifier 1

World rankings for 2014:

I.1)Russia
    II.2)Finland
    III.3)Czech Republic
    IV.4)Sweden
    V.5)Canada
    VI.6)Slovakia
    VII.7)USA
    VIII.8)Norway
    IX.9)Switzerland

• Lafleurguy says:

Neat info. Fifth??? I know it’s based on recent performance in international events. I wonder if there is a set-up to be Hustler-in-the-Pool Hall for Canada. Awkward that whether Canada’s NHLers will be available for Sochi lies in the hands of someone who doesn’t bank with Revenue Canada.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• aj says:

I don’t really care if Canada places fifth in the world rankings that you indicated 24 cups. As long as they bring home another Olympic gold medal, thats all that matters to me as well as Canadians.

10. The Cat says:

I cant see LA losing to NYR or NJ, but for sure itll be 1-0 games. Which will suck cause the NHL will try to make up for that by giving too many (for my liking) PP chances.

11. Clay says:

Lundqvist showing what playoff goal-tending is all about. Stellar performance. I hope the Habs get that kind of play when we next make the playoffs.

__________________________
    ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Lafleurguy says:

Good Evenin `Clay. Great goaltending is one of the strongest trump cards to possess to win it all but as Niemi, Fleury, and Khabibulin have shown with their Cups in the past, not an absolute requirement.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• The Cat says:

Like Ive said before, with all the shot blocking going on now, Id just go find the fattest athlete around and put him in net and be just as far ahead.

• Lafleurguy says:

As a less drastic measure, I suggest the most important off-season training for Carey and Josh Hit Me With Your Best Shot is eating piles of pancakes with a massage therapist working diligently to prevent back spasms.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Clay says:

Good morning!
        I agree – but when your team is less talented, goal-tending matters more (see Habs run 2 years ago). Although in this case, I think the Rangers are actually more talented; they are simply being out-worked and out-hustled. Lundqvist stole the game…and game 1 as well, from what I heard (didn’t see that one).

__________________________
        ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

12. Lafleurguy says:

Just as I finish posting on the old thread, this one pops up.
    Recap….Dave Taylor and the 2005 Kings’ draftees…..smoke, there’s fire, Bob Hartley has the inside track although I’ll Have Another shows you often win from the outside….GM and his assistants……Jacques Laperriere was underappreciated…..I miss Danny Gallivan….Mornin’.

“May you live in interesting times.”