Ken Dryden weighs in on NHL lockout

kenweb

Former Canadiens goalie Ken Dryden has weighed in on the NHL lockout with the Hall of Famer writing an article that appeared in Friday’s Globe & Mail.

Dryden writes that the 2004-05 lockout and the settlement after that set the stage for what is happening now and the battle between the NHL and the players is now about more than just money.

Writes Dryden:

“So, 2004 set the table for 2012. Most of the present issues emerged out of the effects of the unanticipated consequences of 2004.

“But beneath the issues, far more central to the present stalemate and far harder to resolve is the relationship. Last time, the owners won and the players lost. In Watergate, to help Woodward and Bernstein make sense of a confusing story, Deep Throat advised them to ‘follow the money.’ The owner-player dispute this time may seems to be about the money, but it’s not. To understand it you have to ‘follow the pride.'”

You can read Dryden’s entire article by clicking here.

Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News writes that optimism for the season is fleeting. Read that column by clicking here.

Cam Cole of Postmedia News writes “let the conspiracy theories begin”. Read that column by clicking here.

Find out why the NHL lockout has country-music superstar Carrie Underwood singing the blues by clicking here. Read about Underwood’s “trophy” husband by clicking here.

While some NHL teams have laid off employees or cut back on schedules and pay (including the Canadiens), Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula had kept everyone on board during the lockout and started what is being called “Sabres University” with the team’s 100-or-so employees going back to school. Read more about that by clicking here

Canadiens prospect Brendan Gallagher is playing with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs during the lockout and has six goals and five assists in 18 games while getting under the skin of his opponents. Read more about him by clicking here.

During the last lockout, the NHL didn’t cancel the season until Feb. 16, 2005. Below is what Red Fisher wrote about that lockout in December 2004.

(Photo by Denis Brodeur/NHLI via Getty Images)

No cap, no deal: that’s the bottom line

PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE ON DEC. 4, 2004

RED FISHER
THE GAZETTE

Are you still among those who feel there’s going to be an NHL season, particularly now that the players have blinked first and will meet with the NHL next Thursday and, perhaps, Friday in Toronto?

If you are, then you weren’t listening when commissioner Gary Bettman reiterated the league’s position: that it won’t consider a luxury tax from the players. “Guesswork” is what the commish, who had lunch with union chief Bob Goodenow yesterday in New York, called the tax. So if a sweetened luxury tax is all the players have to offer, the league has to turn it down.

Colorado Avalanche defenceman Bob Boughner, who’s on the executive committee, and is playing in a charity game tonight in Aspen, had this to say to Denver Post writer Adrian Dater: “We believe this new one will be fair to everyone involved, and will benefit everyone involved. We feel it’s a great proposal that solves everyone’s concerns.”

Dallas Morning News columnist Mike Heika talked to Stars forward Bill Guerin, one of six vice-presidents with the union: “I think there’s a very good chance it could save the season,” Guerin said. “I believe we are going to be fair to the NHL, fair to the union and offer a system that will work.”

You’d expect union executives to say these things, but I agree with San Jose defenceman Scott Hannan when he says: “I don’t know if you get excited about this or not. Every player wants to get this done and get back playing, but I’m not going to hold my breath.”

Furthermore, when a Steve Yzerman says, as he did on Thursday, that “it’s doubtful a salary cap is in the proposal,” why is everyone getting twisted out of shape with optimism that part of the season will be saved?

Common sense dictates that anything short of a salary cap won’t interest the NHL. That’s been Bettman’s message from the start, and since he’s the man who’ll be held accountable, he can’t change the lyrics to his sour music. And I don’t have to remind you that the players can’t change their “no salary cap” tune, either.

You can be sure Bettman delivered the same message to the general managers at Thursday’s dinner meeting, and it’s also what Bettman will tell any of the owners who might be thinking enough’s enough and that any kind of a shortened season is better than no season at all.

Bettman wants no part of a luxury tax. He felt that way when the league officially rejected the union’s luxury-tax-based proposal when they last met on Sept. 9. He still feels that way, and make no mistake about it: Bettman is driving this bus with an authority far greater than any of the people who preceded him.

The owners are his passengers and they’ll ride with him – no matter how long it takes.

1. There are many experts and remaining partners of experts who are currently either in served residing or are looking to move into an served residing community; however, the expenses become such a pressure on the citizen and often times, the family has to keep their family member at home due to the price of going their family member into an served residing group. Looking for good served residing features in Utah? Visit: http://www.welivebetter.com River Meadows provides the best mature real estate in the state of utah such as served residing and separate residing for the elderly people of The state of utah.

2. DorvalTony says:

Yeah the multi-millionaire players lost. They lost everything. Yeah.

3. Fake says:

New thread guys and girls.

4. ZepFan2 says:

Bri, is this you ?

:smile:

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

5. commandant says:

So according to what we have been told all day the Owners stopped negotiating and walked out when the players asked to bring Fehr back into the room. They don’t want to deal with the players union rep and legal counsel? They expected the players to agree to a deal without Fehr looking it over?

This is all an orchestrated plan. Break the union, create mistrust in Fehr and have him fired.

NHL owners don’t want the PA they have today. They want the PA of Alan Eagleson. The PA that would make side deals with owners, that were weak, that didn’t look out for the players best interests etc…

They want a toothless union like the NFLPA

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

Careful you creditability is shaky right now. You are starting to make things up, unless you do not realize it. This could be a sign to much internet surfing causing dilusionment and visions of grandeur.

As Elmer would say “be vwery, vwery careful Commandant”
      wjc

6. Marc10 says:

Bettman and Fehr are professional BS artists. They’re putting on a good show and taking this thing to its end date.

You can never have a partnership with either guy. They’re masters of the the win-lose. So this war of attrition will get done at the last minute.

They can’t both lose and losing the season would be just that. Both sides, I have to believe, would take something close to the last offer rather than pulling the grenade.

In the meantime, the media are doing a good job of making us worry. I say let’s get ready for a short season. I’m still on The Tank Bandwagon, so here’s hoping we crap out one last time to let Timmins fill the cupboard for the duration of the next CBA. (That said, I’ll still cheer on the Habs as any good bipolar fan would do:-)

7. Mavid says:

all hail the apple…:-)

8. Ron says:

Bulldogs down 2-0 with 12 mins left in 1st
    Edit: 8 mins left 1st and they only have 1 shot on net. Hagel just got hammered.

9. Mavid says:

I have an I Pod, I phone and an I Pad…blaaaaaaa aaaaaaa

10. C-Sword says:

Does anyone know why TVA Sports no longer air the Bulldogs games?

11. Habfan4lfe says:

No disrespect to Dryden but he has no clue what is going on. This is the rich trying to secure their fortunes and the owners waiting until the players give in. Its disgusting no matter how you look at it, when the arenas are filled in all cities they play in then sure they can make lots of money. Do you think the NBA or MLB would be paying out the salaries they give if the seats were empty? No they wouldn’t. The league is struggling in the USA because of Bettman and because of the idiot in Boston.

The rest of you with your go play on a rink if you want fun BS are nothing but sheep just like the sheep who buy an iPhone over and over again with little change. Clued out self serving individuals with little grasp on reality. And that people is why the NHL will never change, because you tolerate the NHL and all the spoiled brats wrapped up in it.

12. HabFab says:

So sick and tired of the CBA crap but Ron Hainsey does an articulate and intelligent take on the past 3 days from his view… on TSN videos.

13. HabFab says:

Charles Hudon has been named Captain of his team.

Hard to argue with his reason to stay at UND. An uncertain Montreal team, an uncertain CBA or get an education and perhaps win an NCAA title. Can’t blame the guy, does shed some light on the scuttlebutt of players if during the early months of summer lockout was already being discussed. Hmmmm..

• Kooch7800 says:

I have no doubt he was looking at an ncaa title or to finish his education but I think the possibility of the lockout is a little hard to believe. It is a convenient answer now with the current situation. If he left college for pro he would be in the ahl so I don’t see how that would effect him. If he signs with the habs next year he will be a bulldog next season.

I am more curious to see if he signs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

14. wjc says:

Does anyone see the irony in Dave keon going in on Dryden and realizing the players were just players back then.

The owners were behind the scenes and the players just played.

Such a simple concept, in simpler times, playing a simple, rough, fast game with skill and reckless abandon.

Were the players making demands, some will say they couldn’t, which of course is true. Players played their whole careers on one team, unless a block buster trade changed that.

I miss the old days glory days of hockey, when it seemed pure,(of course it wasn’t). Nobody argued about salaries and someone getting paid too much and trading salaries and franchises failing.

That was left to the powers to be. The fans watched, cheered and cried….the owners worried about the bottom line and the players followed the schedule around North America to the next arena.

Then you look at now……very sad….most people on here will not even know what I am talking about. Sports came on they announced the scores and that was pretty well it. Now there are sports shows 24 hours a day analyzing every hick up and looking under every rock for a story, a conspiracy, an angle, a scoop, a scandal. Some of it made up, some of it partly true (with an explanation) and some real. You choose.

Everybody has an opinion (me included). No one ever says “how the hell should I know, I wasn’t there.

wjc

15. Thomas Le Fan says:

These are not labour negotiations in the normal sense of the word. This is a power play and the owners own the puck, the equipment bag and the arenas. The players had a chance to save face and the season but apparently they or their leadership are complete morons. The season is done and it won’t be long for the NHLPA to follow it. Fans, some veteran and fringe players are the losers. The owners and the Crosbys of this world will remain rich whatever transpires. Sad.

• Ozmodiar says:

nah, Fehr’s just pushing the envelop.

This was always going to be a last minute deal. Everyone is so upset, but really, it’s a process. It will play out.

If the season is cancelled, then I’ll hop on the “these guys are idiots” bandwagon. I think it’s more likely that I’ll land on the tank wagon, though.

16. JF says:

Pierre LeBrun on the three main sticking points. He thinks a deal is close and will get done:

• wjc says:

Pierre could be right and Pierre could be wrong….I say 50/50 chance.

If he is wrong who will remember, after all, everybody has a take on everything. If it doesn’t fit, you must be a half wit. If it is lit, it is probably a flame, and if it is a flame, it could be a fire, and if it is a fire it could spread, and if it spreads, it could kill you, and if it kills you, the silence will be loud, and everyone will perish and if everyone perishes……..that is the end….happy 12/12/12

wjc

17. Psycho29 says:

On the continuing subject of “I feel old” :

Happy Birthday Gerry Cheevers. Seventy-Friggin-Two.

18. NoTinFoilCups says:

No end to the NHL lockout, Great! The junior team will be in fine form for some real hockey! hmmm… perhaps we could start this crap pro stuff every year in mid January?

19. habsfan0 says:

It would be nice to have Ken Dryden as NHL commish at the podium…leaning on a goalie stick..inundating us with that endless,monotone barrage of verbal non sequiturs…lulling us all to sleep…ZZZZZZZZZ……..

20. Bripro says:

I tried to link Bruce Arthur’s write up in the National Post, and I’ve been modded!!! Help, I’m sinking!

21. 123456 says:

Yes they are

Edit – Whoa….. B.. your post WAS there and then it dissapeared.. I responded to ti

22. frontenac1 says:

This madness of Hockey in the sunbelt must end now! It is destroying our fine Canadian Lads. First. Ryan O”Byrne, now Mike Fischer? Ladies Purses?!! I know some might consider this behavior Brash and Decadent But really it is just Vulgar and disgusting!

23. Propwash says:

From Aaron Wards Twitter

On the CBA negotiations breaking down and questions over Don Fehr joining the meetings Thursday, according to NHLPA source,”The players agreed to the owners request for a players/owners meeting.They didn’t agree to negotiate a CBA with seasoned negotiators on the owners’ side without their legal team in the room. Players understand that while they are smart, this is not their area of expertise which is why they have hired seasoned negotiators to help represent them.” #TSN

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am really starting to think the owners are playing games

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Phil C says:

My first reaction this morning was that the players really wasted a great opportunity to close a deal yesterday.

After reading that tweet,the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is that the owners walked out when the NHLPA wanted to bring their legal representation back into the room. Did they really believe that the players would agree to anything without their union rep or legal staff? They are so close to a deal, why not just close? The lack of negotiating in good faith is so disappointing.

I agree Phil, it is completely unrealistic for the owners to not understand the players need to have their leader in the room to make a deal. Fehr has clearly gotten under Bettmans and the owners skin, I dont know if that was his plan, I just wonder if this is the best plan. Evidently he knows what he is doing, I just still wonder if he realizes how different the Hockey economics are from Baseball. By that I mean the ramnifications of another cancelled season. Far more of a niche sport/business than baseball.

24. Habfan10912 says:

Notre Dame vs Michigan State tonight on NBCSPORT, formally Versus, tonight at 7:00. Irish lineup loaded with NHL draftees. No Hab draft picks on either team.

———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

My cousin played for Wolverines. I remember going to a Michigan state vs Wolverines game in Detroit. It was great hockey and the fans were intense

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ve seen the Irish this season. A very good team. Plus it’s hockey! :)

———————————–

• Bripro says:

When my daughter worked on a kibbutz this summer, she spoke of this American kid (that’s how she put it) whom she had met and they had gotten along well, but assured me not to worry.
          One weekend…phone rings…. he’s in town, can he come over?!… Sure she says!
          American kid…. I’m thinking ….. my daughter the nerd…he’ll be a nerdy kid….good looking, but nerdy…right?
          Doorbell rings, I go answer. I open the door and had to incline my head almost 60 degrees to come eye-to-eye. Big blond crew-cut (marine-come-to-find-out) with pecs everywhere….standing there with the H on his jersey.
          At supper, he spoke of his two years playing for Michigan State, and loved the Habs. What a kid. Only met him once…..I hope my daughter marries him!

25. shiram says:

Don’t know if it was posted, but the Bulldogs will remain in Hamilton, even if they are not affiliated with the Habs.
    I wonder if the Habs having it’s “club école” in Laval will have an effect on the Bulldogs, will they have less attendance if they are paired with a lesser NHL team?

• Kooch7800 says:

Hi Shiram,

The bulldogs signed a 5 year deal. Honestly I don’t think the attendance would change that drastically if it was another NHL team. It was affiliated with Edmonton in the past and the attendance has always been in the area of 5,000 people. For AHL that is pretty standard.

In places like St John where that is the big hockey entertainment and you have no option for the NHL it is different.

Even in toronto where they can apparently support two teams the Marlies don’t average much more.

It is good hockey and I enjoy going but a league where the team gets pilfered by their NHL affiliate and sometimes at critical junctions in the season it is pretty hard to accept

I do enjoy it though. Good hockey. The dogs are struggling this year but will be better next season.

In some ways the lockout is a blessing for some of these kids. They can just focus on playing with the dogs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• shiram says:

Well I’m glad my fellow HIO’ers in Hamilton will get to keep their team there, as I’m glad we’ll have Habs affiliate close to home also.
        Thanks for an informative post Kooch

• Kooch7800 says:

I am glad they will be here for the next 5 years regardless of if they are a habs affiliate or not. It is more of a bonus that they are the habs farm team for me. i would attend as long as they are not a leaf affiliate.
          If the Farm club for the habs does go to Quebec it is also ok as well. I understand how business works and it may save the organization money.

• 123456 says:

Here in Rochester, NY attendence really fluctuates with the success of the team. It’s been fairly poor in recent years but has rebounded this season with a new owner….. also a recent deal 1 season ago to have the Sabres back as the parent team as was for so many seasons….

AHL can be very good hockey. A lot of skill and slightly more time to move the puck than at the NHL level sometimes affords for really nice plays.

Here in Rochester we have a D1 college team – RIT Tigers – which is great hockey. They are certainly not a top D1 school but the games are intense!! D1 hockey (IMO) on a day to day basis is better than AHL or NHL hockey.

• Kooch7800 says:

there is def something to be said for non pro hockey. Kids out there playing for their schools and pride. That is pure hockey.

You might not see the same skill or speed as the AHL or NHL but it can still be as rewarding entertainment wise.

I still play men’s league hockey and I am get so amazed when I sit close at a pro game just how hard they shoot the puck and the speed of the game. It is crazy

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Just an FYI on Fehr, he began working with Marvin Miller in 1977 as general counsel. In 1980 the players had a strike, in 1981 the players had a strike. In 1983 he became acting director of MLBPA, in 1985 the players had a strike, in 1985 he was officially introduced as MLBPA leader, in 1990 there was a lockout, in 1994 MLB had a strike.

I bring this up, only because I have read people state that baseball under Donald Fehr had only 1 work stoppage.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, Bettman is single handedly re-writing the record book for most games lost. But Fehr is no spring chicken to these negotiating games we are watching.

27. Habilis says:

Classy move by Cole, Gionta and Gorges today with their children’s hospital visit. Hats off to them for taking the initiative.

It reminds me that I really don’t blame the players in this mess, I can’t because most of them are actually really good people.

They’re just being led by a liar.

• Riga Fraction says:

From hockeybuzz? I am sure it’s professional and unbiased as everything Eklund touches is….

• Cal says:

The blogger is the Nashville Predators blogger. How about reading it first?

• Riga Fraction says:

A Nashville Predator blogger on Hockeybuzz attacking Fehr? I’ll pass on that “expertise” thanks, I have toilet paper upstairs if I need it.

• jols101 says:

You have to go upstairs to get to the toilet paper? They are called ‘powder rooms’ or ‘half baths’ and you should have one on the main floor. If not you should invest in one, it will dramatically increase your property value.

• Riga Fraction says:

That would be down a few stairs from the main floor, so technically I have it downstairs as well I suppose. The main supply sits upstairs though, so it can be replaced as needed.

• Ozmodiar says:

Awesome exchange!!

Well done, jols & Ri/ga!!

• Mustang says:

Well Riga can make his snide comments but I thought that it was a well written article that expressed an interesting point of view. Personally I think that these negotiations would have gone much better without both Fehr and Bettman.

• Riga Fraction says:

When someone comes out and says ‘chew on this’ they usually don’t get much more than snide remarks, especially when they whip out the National Enquirer of the hockey world as their evidence or proof of their misguided stance. Tough to take that sort of approach very seriously or professionally.

• wjc says:

Just remember, “hear what you want to hear, and disregard the rest.

Nice timing hospital visit right after, players association get caught over reaching.

Fehr is now slowly becoming the hero again.

The players were beaten so badly in 2004 that they increased their average salary from 1.7 to 2.4 million.

Remember the tail should wag the dog. The players can only be right because after they are the “hero’s.

Lock out or strike, take your pick.

Never forget, “hear what you want to hear”,( after all ex players that are now in broadcasting and have friends still playing will give an unbiased opinion.) disregard any other people with different opinions.

Time will tell, who was bluffing, lying, fudging, and faking.

Blaming Bettman for everything and excluding the owners from any blame, including the beer guy in Montreal, is immature in the least.

wjc

• Riga Fraction says:

He’s not there to negotiate, he’s there to win and to bust the union. He’s NEVER been there to negotiate, which is why there’s a lengthy lockout every few years and everyone just blames the guy on the other side of the table for some reason, whether it be Goodenow, Fehr, Saskin, the players etc….

Actually I think Saskin had a very intelligent way of negotiating with Bettman. He figured out how Bettman ticks, and in so doing was able to get a CBA agreement with Bettman in which while it appeared Bettman won, he actually lost.

As for Hockeybuzz, yes Eklund is useless, but there are a few good bloggers who use that website for their blogs. The Preds blogger is a decent one on that site, also the fellow for the Flyers tends to write a decent blog.

Paul Kelly would have been an excellent PA leader for the players, but I suppose he doesn’t exude the personality of a Fehr.

• Bripro says:

You have to remember though that Bob Goodenow was the architect of the last CBA. He just didn’t last.
            Bettman was right about that last night. As long as the NHLPA keeps hiring / firing, and I don’t see how they can keep Fehr after this, there will never be stable negotiations between the league and the players.

Perhaps, but I am not sure I would give Goodenow that much credit. By the way, I would be very pleased if Bettman were no longer League Commish.

• Bripro says:

Me too Gerry! I honestly feel that there are two very human negotiators out there, who could sit together and manage to iron something out. Somewhere out there…
            It might even be Daly and Steve Fehr. Who knows.
            They should have a fan involved in this process, as a mediator.
            They could take me, I might not be big enough to grab a player’s head to bang against a team owner’s head, but I could sure try. ;)

28. Mattyleg says:

“fella’s”?
    Apparently they don’t teach them punctuation down at the mill.

(smug ‘non-mill-working’ smirk)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Someone named patch2000 posted on TSN:

“Hey fella’s! There’s rumor there’s an opening coming up at the local sawmill. I think it would be a good fit. And maybe by the end of your first shift Bettman and the owners deal might not look so bad. Oh! And by the way ‘shifts’ work a little differently at the mill. there not 3 minutes, they’re 8 hrs. However, there are 3 (Graveyard, nights and days). Your choice, it’s awesome!! Report this comment!”

I think it’s funny.

• Riga Fraction says:

I suppose the owners could look into buying a sawmill and selling off their NHL teams since the 50% of $3.3 Billion split 30 ways isn’t enough for them to make ends meet with either. Then they could see if signing contracts at the mill only to refuse to pay them worked out better than it does at the NHL level since those mill guys contracts wouldn’t be in the multimillions so they wouldn’t care about getting stiffed as much since they’d only be stiffed out of thousands instead of millions each.

I’m with you, it’s funny.

• zip by says:

file that one under:

money for nothing and your chicks for free

30. melski says:

a few random thoughts…..

I am impressed with some posters comments based on the nature of labor/management negotiations and how they apply in this case.

I am less than impressed with some posters comments based on their seeming resentment that hockey players make more than these posters think they should.

I cannot understand why so many feel they have a “right” to “their” hockey. The NHL is (a big) business. My vision of “Canada’s game” is something played for fun on rinks and ponds across the nation. That is still available to you. Go enjoy it.

I believe that the league desires labor peace, now and in the future. Unfortuneately, it hopes to reach this utopia by crushing the power of the player’s association once and for all. You are free to agree or disagree.

The fans do have a voice. Stop spending your money. It is the only voice you have in this. Might not be what you want to hear, but that’s the reality.

31. Blondie says:

Good piece by Ken Dryden. Man, he’d make a great commissioner.

I don’t think the commissioner should represent the owners. He or she should represent, grow, and run the league.

The owners and players could negotiate by committee and, if they get to the point we’re at now in these negotiations, the commissioner could be the arbitrator.

They are so close now that it is asinine for it to continue any further. How can both sides not see how stupid they look to the rest of the world?

• Kooch7800 says:

Dryden is bang on in his assessment. This all stems from 2004 and how the players were treated and it is Bettman’s fault.

You hate Fehr….well Fehr is here because of how the 2004 negotiations went.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Riga Fraction says:

Anyone blaming Fehr doesn’t know which end is up (I left hole in the ground references out of it for now).

Fehr was involved in one work stoppage that occurred in a sport that had gone through many many work stoppages prior to his arrival. It got some problems taken care of and the league has had labour peace for two decades since.

Bettman on the other hand has been involved in three lockouts now that have cost the league 2000 regular season games plus at least one full playoffs (and counting). All of these are basically over nothing more than his need to “win” and “punish” those who oppose him. Every time he wins, he comes back in a few years looking to take even more without every giving up on anything. Everything that the other side took away from the last one as concessions for giving up so much, he goes after to get that back with interest on top the next time, while never giving anything. He plays the PR war, negotiates with lies and falsehoods given to the media (we need a cap to make the game more affordable for the fans, only to then double the average ticket price when they get the cap… remember those?) and the sheep buy into it hook line and sinker because they believe what they’re fed and apparently don’t read it, listen to it or try to apply even a little bit of logic to it all, rather than just taking everything he says at face value regardless.

Fehr’s brought in because they are sick of Bettman’s efforts at busting the union and having their leaders back down from his attacks. Fehr’s here not to back down to Bettman because the players are tired of giving and giving and giving, while the owners take and take and take and still the idiot fans are convinced to blame the players, call the players greedy and somehow write the owners a blank check for causing all of it. It’s a LOCKOUT not a STRIKE. The players aren’t asking for more money, the players aren’t asking for anything, they’re fighting not to give up anymore than they have to… but who cares about reality when there’s a good PR move to jump on?

• Kooch7800 says:

I am not blaming Fehr. I am also pointing the fingers at Bettmen cause of 2004. If that negotiation went differently there would be more trust between the parties.

There needs to be a change. I would love someone with Dryden’s intellect and hockey knowledge to be one to grow the game as the commish

• Riga Fraction says:

I know you weren’t, I was agreeing with you and expanding on the idea in general.

• Kooch7800 says:

Agreed.

Check out this article from Lebrun. Shiram posted it in another thread:

I don’t understand why Bettman is cutting off the negotations if they are actually close. It is also funny that Bettman says they are far apart and Fehr is saying they are not. In the article someone compared the deals and said this crazy that this deal isn’t done. Bettman has to go

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Riga Fraction says:

I read LeBrun’s article yesterday. Sadly I kinda see where Bettman’s going with this and I’m not surprised he’d pull such a stunt. Call me a cynic (or whatever else you wish to call me), but I see Bettman sending in the others and he’s out of the light as is Fehr. They make a red herring of offering more of the make whole than they had (which isn’t offering anything, simply asking the players to sacrifice a little less than they were previously asked to). It makes it seem as though the owners are giving the players their demands to those who haven’t paid attention and only read the owners bumping their offer. Then Fehr says looks like we’re getting close, now Fehr is the first name in so it’s his fault that it all unravels in the PR game. Bettman says oh no, we’re miles apart and Fehr just wants too much, we’re out of here. Now everyone says, ‘See Bettman wasn’t even at the meetings, he’s not to blame, it was all going great until Fehr got involved’, and ‘The players are being greedy, the owners give them this much and the players won’t give some too’. A bunch of smoke and mirrors to win a PR war and to shift the blame to the other side again and the suckers fall for it. Typical Bettman basically, he does it every time.

• Stuck_in_To. says: