Kelowna honours Josh Gorges

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges has been added to the Wall of Fame of Kelowna, B.C., minor hockey.

A nice honour for a player from whom the Habs are counting a great deal in the season to come.

• Pat Hickey weighs in on Halak’s visit

• Red Fisher on Émile “Butch” Bouchard

• The NHL in Quebec City? Jean Charest meets the mayor tomorrow and ‘diques alumni are being lined up for a big rally next month

• John Lu’s Canadiens status report at TSN

• Allan Muir of SI likes the Kovalchuk compromise. So does Scott Burnside. And Dmitry Chesnokov talks to Kovy II

• Don’t invite Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and Torstar columnist Damien Cox to the same party

• Interesting read on bloggers vs. mainstream media

1. B says:

I can see that you and many folks do bitch about it (and understand why), but my point also remains that there are many other folks who don’t bitch about it (and many who are even happy about it).

The law in Quebec was amended for Sunday day time retail, while in many places (Catholic and non-Catholic) it remains.
    I don’t think that the week-end evening retail laws were kept in place in Quebec to prevent the average Quebecois couple from purgatory (and yes, I saw your smiley) The laws may have been created for religious reasons, but there are now reasons other than religion (which, by the way, is still very valid to many people) that such laws remain on the books in many places.

Pushing the envelope, tongue in cheek at that!!!

It was obvious to me. h4f is a multi-account troll.

4. Chorske says:

Haha, thought you’d like that. 😉

5. Chorske says:

Don’t forget our cover of “Don’t let your son go down on me”

(too far?)

6. showey47 says:

who will be your hummer,opps i mean drummer.

7. Habziefan09 says:

I was just about to weigh in on this and its nice to see someone has.  In my 20’s while working in Call centers, their motto was “The only constant is change”.

What most in mainstream media (Not bashing Fisher, Mio, Hickey or Boone) do not get is that the days of Olympia 50 Lb typewriters, dark alley deals for a scoop, train rides with the team and being the only ones to report on any news, have been over for the last 15+ years with the advent and access of the internet.  Being a news writer (in any capacity and not just sports) does not make one’s column great.

On one hand this is how you make a living and I can understand how one would feel threatened by some who would be labeled arm chair reporters with a website and or blog.  Interestingly however just because your name is not Cox, Friedman, Simmons or McKenzie doesn’t mean you do not have the right to voice your opinion or share news that others intend to share.

IMO, those who are bashing bloggers are usually the ones who are losing the readers focus due to either being scooped on a story  or have no idea how to react/evolve with the times.

This is not just about sports reporting.  This is about “News” in general as “readers/viewers/listeners” are leaving mainstream media in droves, why?  Well quite frankly now everyone has a voice and a vessel.

HIO has been my starting destination every morning to quench my thirst for everything that is Canadiens.  It was via this site however that ALLHABS has become my second destination, why?  When it comes to “Les Habitants”, he has his stick taped correctly and his chin strap is cinched tightly.  I mean the guy knows his stuff.

Spector’s Hockey is another that has really come to the forefront.  It used to be that we (hockey nuts) huddled around a news paper, radio or television on July 1 or trade deadline day.  Since 2000, he has gathered news links and rumors for everything that is hockey while giving his own opinion of said story or rumor.  Now he blogs for Fox Sports.  He must have been doing something right.

Just because one is not hired by the Star, Sun, NYT or Gazette does not make you a “Bastard child” in media coverage.  It could be that people have had it up to here with those who only toe the party line.  Time to wake up and smell the “Tim Horton’s”.  Change is the only constant.

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

8. fbkj says:

lol im not angry at all sorry if my tone came off otherwise

but this is the sentence where perhaps your not getting it

“There are many others who don’t feel that way including those who make the laws in Quebec”

thats the thing… as ive said these laws date back to the same ones that made it so we couldnt shop on sundays.; ie: duplessis days

they have since allowed shopping on sundays but they wont repeal this law for no given reason

everyone is used to it, everyone I know at least, bitches about it, but nobody puts forth the wacky idea that if your average quebecois couple will never marry because of a deep rooted revolt agaisnt the church, then I think its safe to assume that we can shop till 9 on saturdays without fear of purgatory 😉

9. K-hab25 says:

Yo Mamma!!!

Your fans will most certainly bow down to your band, on their knees in total worship.

11. B says:

There are reasons, you just don’t seem to agree with them and dismiss them as silly. There are many others who don’t feel that way including those who make the laws in Quebec and other places in the free world (many of which are not catholic). There is nothing wrong with your having a different point of view, but continued posting of ridiculous hyperbole still seems unnecessarily over the top and I don’t see where it adds anything to your original (and understandable) post that you find it inconvenient. You seem angry, sorry if I pushed some button here in pointing out another side of the issue.