Keeping track of Koivu’s wingers

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes that Sergei Kostitsyn, who made his NHL debut on Thursday night, became the seventh player to line up as a right-winger on captain Saku Koivu’s line.

After Michael Ryder, who started the season at the position but has struggled mightily, coach Guy Carbonneau has tried Bryan Smolinski, Tom Kostopoulos, Christopher Higgins (he’s normally the left- winger on the line) and defencemen-turned-forwards Mark Streit and Mathieu Dandenault.

With all that juggling, Hickey writes: The younger Kostitsyn didn’t look out of place in his first NHL game, but if this latest experiment doesn’t work, the Canadiens might have to
resort to holding open tryouts.

1. mjames says:

Your name for the line is dumb. What rock did you crawl out from under? If you trying to be funny – you are not!!!!!

mjames

2. krob1000 says:

Ask poor Ryder!!

3. Habs_008 says:

Your right, If we can get great value for saku that will help our team in the long run, then BG will pull the trigger. On another note I still feel the pain when Patrick got traded, that pain will never go away. But that’s a whole other story, he asked to go and we had the wrong people running the ship at the time, I do not want to go back to the mid to late 90’s. They were horrible.

4. ccs says:

Tampa needs a Goaltender after getting hammered 9-6 last night. Time to make a trade….But in reality we wont make any trades until teams become desperate. Lets hope we do not become desperate but I would hope that we move our UFAs before the trade deadline. There is no way that Huet will resign with us so we may as well try and get something in return.

5. krob1000 says:

That was tragic and I would never wish that on anyone but I think these guys run an almost equal risk by reaching their sticks out and standing up. Nrmally a player nwos not to shoot at a guys head and that was a freak accident. A normal reflex would be to try and go around a player in that situation as he would have slid almost past the shooter by that time.

You are definitely right though and it is scary but someone has to do it and most team have guys who do it. The risk is why it is such an admirable play and any guy on that team could watch old Carbo tapes and to a man they would all have a new respect for him. A lot of these guys are kids and they honestly don’t remember Carbo….at least not in his prime. He was the best penalty killer/shot blocker of his day and he didn’t have Volchenkov’s goalie pads for shin pads.

6. Oleg Petrov says:

Our “depth” in net is not going to result in a meaningful return – goalies traditionally don’t fetch much in return and you are talking about a goalie who will be UFA at the end of year (Huet) or a young kid with potential (Halak) – again not a big return.

7. Scotty90 says:

OK… Halak, Ryder, Brisebois and a couple (up to a dozen) of old Forum hotdogs for Crosby and Laraque :-)

Sorry folks, last night’s win feels good and makes me feel like being silly again.

Q: are the hot dogs at the Bell Centre as good as the Forum’s were?

8. saku11 says:

Who would we get? Esposito? His stock is probably at an all time low. I think he’ll use it as motivation to get better and prove his worth. Gotta feel for the kid.

9. saku11 says:

Carbo said Price will get the start on Saturday and that the Kostitsyn bros will likely be on the same line. I hope
    SK11, SK74, AK46, AK27, CH21, TP14 are our top six forwards for the rest of the season.

10. REB says:

kROB100: I too admired Lats for both of his Carbo-type blocks, but every time I see a player do that I cringe and remember the Hab who had his throat crushed (Trent Darby?…someone help here) doing the same thing. The player I remember was reasonably good before the incident, and did come back to play, but was useless afterwards…I would ABSOLUTELY HATE for the same thing to happen to Lats.

11. odie clegorn says:

Like every other young player, they need time, patience and a leader who can teach them to how to focus on and learn from their performance. This “team” is still progressing through the four stages of team development – (I:) Forming (II:) Storming (III:) Norming and (IV:) Performing) – and I’m not sure the “right” leader is there…yet.

12. doug says:

Just got off ESPN in their “trade rumor” section:

“While Marc-Andre Fleury is out with an ankle sprain, the Penguins are looking for more options. And with Montreal’s wealth in net, Cristobal Huet could be on Pittsburgh’s list.”

13. Roy-Rules says:

Ryan Smyth was the heart and soul of the Oilers…he got traded, Kirk Muller got traded back in the days. If BG thinks its in the best interest of the team to get rid of Koivu he’ll do it. I wouldn’t like to see it, Koivu is an inspiration for millions of people. Besides Burke is not stupid to give up Perry, it just doesn’t make sense.

14. Habs_008 says:

I dont even listen to Captain K Rumours, I dont see the habs trading him, he is the heart and soul of MTL, and he has done so much for the City, he is Loved in MTL. We dont need a 40yrld defensman that is making 5mil a year, Perry would be nice. That is funny. and Unlikely, give us some real trade rumours that make sense, heres one, NO TRADES WILL HAPPEN! makes sense and its true.

15. notbigbird says:

We might finally have two linemates for Saku. There’s been a big hole there in each and every combination so far. Hopefully, this will stick and we can stop the over-the-top line juggling.

Can never trade up this time of year, never happens. And besides, only our kids are worth anything and were not moving any of them. I don’t even read posts pertaining to trades, nobody knows anything about them, Its all made up comic junk in there pimple on top of there shoulders. Pure dreamers!

17. Blitzen says:

Well, that’s good to hear.

Blitzen, I Have scouted the OHL for 13 years and the habs have a realy good prospect. This kid has a magnetic personality, very loose around people, classy, and fun to be around. And besides my fridge empties every time he comes over. Going to be a premium defence man!

He was asked once by the media what P.K. stood for in his name. Like a flash he answers, Penalty Killer!

He is going to have a ball with the Mtl. media, they better get ready for him.

19. downeast hab says:

I hope and wish Ryder would come back and score 15 or 20 goals if he is given the chance to play. And at the end of the season he can show carbo two things, left and right cheek as he is walking. Because the way he shuffled around is crazy. There are players on this team that have being just as bad at the time, but were given the time to adjust. I have been a hab fan for a long time but to see a player shunned like this, I dont like. They think Ryder is NOTHING, so let him go for NOTHING.

20. Oleg Petrov says:

Man, people have to stop calling for trades! there are no trades in today’s NHL! The rumours get more and more ridiculous because everybody knows there are no real trades to discuss.

There is no impact player coming to the habs to save the day! The team will be in a dog fight all year to make the play-offs but they will be exciting to watch (not every game but enough of them) because of the young players developing into NHL players.

Who is going to give $3 million of their cap space and hope that Ryder finds his scoring touch? He isn’t going anywhere until at least the deadline. Carbo has to play him and end the Streit experiment. Yea, he scored two goals last night but is that production giong to be there all year?

Great game last night, a lot of positives and hopefully something to build on for Saturday night. But the pressure returns at home and if things don’t go well early, could be a long night.

21. Leclerc1965 says:

If Carbo is still coach he could play defence or winger. That’s our system here don’t you know?

22. coutNY says:

Don’t worry everyone our winger hunt is about to end.

Newest laughable tabliod trash… “The rumour flying around last night was Koivu, Halak, and Prospect for Perry and Schneider. Then Teemu could return, to play with Saku and that could be fuunnu…Perry is EXTREMELY sought after by the Habs who tried to get him at last year’s deadline for Souray.” reports EK-a-laff

Fails to mention that will leave Habs without a center and around 10+ defenseman..
    and
    Ducks with excess of # of Centers and back-up goalies?
    All this while giving up their leading scorer Perry a (22yr, 5 more year Restricted FA) making $494K ($621K – cap hit)
    HMMM sounds likely…

Sounds like a lot trouble to free about $1.5 dollars of space, which if I recall was the whole point of this exercise, don’t you think? Still does not allow any room for a Selanne return…

Throw in Ryder in for Bertuzzi also, frees $1.1; You’ll probably see this in the Ek pages tomorrow… funny stuff EK keep it rollin.

23. Rocket9 says:

Ok, I’ve figured out the problem with the Habs. It’s me.

If I watch the game, they play lousy and lose. If I don’t watch it, they play great and win.

It’s all my fault. I’m sorry.

You’ll be glad to know that I can’t watch the game on Saturday after the 1st period, so they should pull off the win.

24. J.T. says:

Not trying to be a stormcloud…and I love the kids too. But do you really think Carbo’s going to sit his buddy Breezer to allow Gorges and O’Byrne to develop? Or keep Lapierre over Smolinski? S.Kost over Begin? Nope. The established vets will get their time and we will gnash our teeth to see the kids get sent down. The only vet who seems to be ostracized in Carbo-ville is Ryder, which is too bad. Because he’s the only one who could conceivably offer much more than he has been so far. I really hope he gets a start against TO and pots a couple. Something’s gotta give sometime, right?

25. krob1000 says:

Cabbie’s co-host!!

26. Blitzen says:

I just love watching Subban in interviews. The guy is a natural media personality. What’s your best guess about his future, D-Man or winger?

We have lots of quality D-Men coming up so I wouldn’t mind seeing him converted, unless his D comes around to match his O.

27. Blitzen says:

You need two willing sides to trade. And both sides need to feel like they are improving their teams.

Hey Kevin, We have a new winger for Koivu, And all you hab fans are going to see him play over the holidays. He is 18 years old, and made our national junior team. P.K. Suban was a walk on two years ago for the Belleville Bulls. He did not know the game very well then, but could he fly on the blades.

He plays D , and winger on the same shift, he has a shot loaned to him from Boom Boom G. You guys are going to enjoy watching this kid develope.

I don’t know how Carbo is going to reign this kid in to be a stay at home D. Maybe next year P.K. will be Koivu’s winger. I think he can out skate him now!!

Shawn Matias from the Bulls made the team also, he is a very hard working winger and a sniper. 19 year old.

29. Habs_008 says:

Sending Ryder down would be a BIG mistake, We will lose him for NOTHING. Lets at least get a draft pick in return or maybe a BIG centre, someone would pick him up 4 sure. that is not the way to go.

30. downeast hab says:

I say, either play Ryder or trade him.You dont get points in the PB.If they dont want him, then try to send hin to the minors.Im willing to bet someone will pick him up in a heartbeat.I think in the back of his mind, he would go for it,cause how low can you go till you ask for change.

31. krob1000 says:

Thanks Stormcloud!!!

Raining on our parade. Thanks for the dose of reality. I like Ryder coming back but Brisebois is fine with being ina nd out and I think that was his expected role. Begin is in sa dogfight with Kosto, Lapierre and the hybrids. I think there is room for the kids and someone will have to go. If these kids play well enought o stay I think they will. I think it is only expected that one or more will eventually falter but if not we just may have the Montreal Jr. Canadiens and I for one am o.k.with that.

32. J.T. says:

This is all great…getting to see the kids in action and see for ourselves how close they are to being contributors in the NHL. But we have to check ourselves too, and realize that this is only temporary. Like it or not, we’re saddled with Smolinski for the year. Ryder will be back in the lineup at some point, and Begin and Breezer will be back from their injuries. Sometime in the next month or so, Gainey’s going to have to send some of Halak, O’Byrne, Lapierre and/or S.Kostitsyn back to Hamilton. Still, it’s nice to see there are capable guys coming soon.

33. krob1000 says:

lol Yesterday was probably the most negative I have ever been on here. I always try to see the positive even in the midst of our annual pre-Christmas vacation but I still disagree on the Ryder situation. The funniest thing about me always on here defending him is I have spent the last two years making fun of him to my wife as he is her favourite player. I never meant any of it but I still always mocked him at home but now I find myself cheering as hard as ever fotr the guy because I son’t think his punishment fits his crime of poor luck.

34. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

krob
    Great comment nice to here fans on the positive side for a change.I hope carb.dosent change the line up to,but I think he will frig it up by putting Rideit back in hoping he will earn his pay .I would like to see him back but am to scared he will mess it up again.Lets make it 3 straight against totonto then we will have something to really cheer about,cant wait GO HABS GO……….

35. WindsorHab-10 says:

I still think Carbonneau will do something stupid on Saturday and shake up his lines, especially if they have a bad start against the Leafs. Winning last night was good and hopefully they can add to it. This team is troubled and unhappy with the coach and playing well last night was a reminder to us and Gainey that they can play hard and compete when the chemistry is good. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens but I for one still have my doubts about Carbonneau.

36. Oprah says:

Isn’t Locke subject to re-entry waivers?

Ask that question again in three years when you’re paying your 4th defenseman $5.5 mil. He’s been great this year and may be the same next year too. After that it’s a crap shoot. It could be worse though – it could be Timonen or Souray.

The Original 24 Cups

Raycroft’s biggest problem is that he can stand on his head for an entire game and then for no good reason he will give up a soft goal that is a game breaker. His team never feels totally confident playing in front of him.

The Original 24 Cups

The lost point to Tampa and the one to Nashville could be very costly come April.

The Original 24 Cups

40. The Teacher says:

No you’re not the only one. I’ve been admiring his play and been really impressed with him from Game number 1.

The only problem I have is that I’m worried he would get tired out covering up for Breezer all the time.

The last few games paired up with gorges has allowed him to regain his dominance after a slight 3 game dip. Just seems like he lost a bit of energy for a little bit there. But I love his patience with the puck in our zone…totally awesome to watch.

41. MEL FRIEND says:

just a question why does bg refuse to make a trade to make the team much better.

42. showey47 says:

That win against us was denis’ first of the season and he came into the game with numbers that would make racicot look like an allstar. But it does seem that the homegrown players seem to play their best hockey when they come home.

43. Oleg Petrov says:

not to mention the level of competition that brings out the best in every player from one game to the next – I think that is the greatest benefit of maturation of these prospects fighting to leave Hamilton and establish themselves.

44. Smart Dog says:

that was such a buzz-kill. Seems like it’s always us.
    But that’s BS – it happens to everyone. You get meatballed by some hot goalie.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

45. Oleg Petrov says:

gotta love the Quebec guys or the guys who grew up Habs fans who get so excited to come to Montreal and play. How many times does that result in a hall of fame performance and a win for the visiting team? Denis, Lecavalier, Thibault, Crosby, and on and on

46. Smart Dog says:

What’s great is that you get a sense that we have a critical mass of talented young players, with familiarity with each other to make things happen. Imagine how exciting this must be for them. They are going to run the Laffs off their old, tired feet. This must be fun for the veterans on our team – playing with these excited kids. YOu could really see it last game… I think that getting the two K-kids together is just cool and must create a special kind of buzz.

– Shrink Dog

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

47. showey47 says:

nice to see the real marc denis show up against the flames last night after putting on a hall of fame performance against us on tuesday.

48. Oleg Petrov says:

you said it JB_15 “if we show the type of energy that SK74 (or K2 if you prefer), we should be fine” – that is the key tomorrow night. If they come out with energy, then it should be a great night in the old phone booth. But if they start out at home like they have been, that energy won’t be there.

49. Oleg Petrov says:

From TSN broadcast tonight – intermission of Leafs game: Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh are looking for a goalie and they might be targeting Raycroft? @ $2 million this year and $2.2 next year? While I would laugh at either team thinking that would solve their goaltending problems, I hope it doesn’t happen so the leafs continue to be stuck with expensive but largely ineffective goaltending.

50. Smart Dog says:

Can we just call them K1 and K2?

I’m a phonetic reader. Esskayfortyseven is a lot to say, even just in your mind. And besides he’s from Belarus not Germany.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

51. showey47 says:

i think the key will be to keep our legs moving against the laffs D and get pucks out quickly on the laffs dump-ins so they can’t establish a forecheck. Dumping the puck behind their D and chasing it, this should draw some penalties and wear them down. Winning face-offs will also be very important, in a game of puck posession if they don’t have the puck they can’t score

52. JB_15 says:

I think a loss. When the leafs get down, they get really down. They are not really the type of club to bounce back in a big way, it takes them time to regroup, and they are not very young. A confidence blow would be terrific, hopefully it will get them down and allow us to come out early and get a couple.

53. showey47 says:

i don’t think he ever has, but he would have to crack the lineup as a winger, not a center. He lacks size, footspeed and grit but probably has the best set of hands on the bulldogs. We already have a problem with size on our top 2 lines but i would like to see him get one last chance.

54. JB_15 says:

I think that if last night is any indication, our top line should skate circles around the leafs. They are a VERY slow team that will try to use their bodies. Their powerplay looks very disorganized largely because atlanta’s quick guys are beating them to loose pucks. If we show the type of energy that SK74 shows, we should be fine. THe crowd will be rocking no doubt after the win in philly and the fact that we are still only 2 points out of 2nd in the conference in point total. Sergei kostitsyn is a great guy to get koivu going – those two guys appear to have great work ethic, and of course higgy does too. No question I think there will be productivity from that line again.

55. Oleg Petrov says:

I wonder if he got into another situation whether he could get a shot?Has he ever played an NHL regular season game for the Habs?

56. showey47 says:

all the tools in the world, just no tool box. He actually reminds me of wellwood minus the footspeed and reoccuring sports hernia’s

57. Oleg Petrov says:

yea, I’d say you’re right – just can’t cheer for them anyway and every loss for them helps the Habs.

58. Oleg Petrov says:

poor locke will never get a shot will he? even with the potential of more call ups for tomorrow night, his name isn’t even mentioned.

59. showey47 says:

i say a loss, a slaughter so the laffs start raycroft. We need a demoralized laffs team here tomorrow night.

60. Oleg Petrov says:

I have never seen someone’s picture get so much attention! LOL

61. showey47 says:

3-2 bulldogs after one period. corey locke has 2 manlow has the other and d’agostinin has 2 assists

62. Oleg Petrov says:

on another topic – just flipping between the raptors and the leafs game on TSN – while I always want the leafs to lose, would it be better for the Habs for the Leafs to come to Montreal with a loss against Atlanta or a win? Whatever the outcome, hopefully it goes to shootout to maximize their time spent in Atlanta.

63. Yeats says:

Your new picture is soooo much better. I think I had you for Intermediate Macroeconomics at Columbia. Thank’s for the A!

64. Smart Dog says:

Glad someone agrees with me on this. Markov is great, but you probably COULD get a 35-goal scorer for him. And if he was the same age and big and tough, I think that would be a beneficial swap for a team that now is deep in D up-comers and has a solid mentor like Hamrlik and another Blue-chip D-man in Komisaurus.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

65. Smart Dog says:

Hey! That’s a great title for a new Robert Ludlum book!

The Brisebois Experiment

And Ludlum’s other up-coming book… The Ryder Conundrum

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

66. showey47 says:

amen, i remember getting into what i will call a “debate” with another member here back in july when we signed hamrlik and this member claimed that souray was the better defenceman and the only reason why hamrlik had a good plus minus was because his partner was phaneuf. I tried to explain that it was actually the other way around and it was phaneuf who benefited from hamrlik, but nonetheless i knew he was solid and not the liability souray was. He won’t score like souray does but he will prevent more goals than sheldon will ever score.

67. Oleg Petrov says:

And the offensive skill is there when needed – as he gets more comfortable on this team, I think it will come out more and more. Big solid and the perfect mentor for O’Byrne, who I have been really impressed with (Tampa game aside – you know those will happen). Hopefully, the Brisebois experiment will end and O’Bryne will get the ice. He showed in his debut against Boston that he will make the simple play and can move the puck.

Hamrlik is easily BG best FA signing and he backed into him after Souray took his big shot to Edmonton. We got really lucky and ended up with exactly what this team needs.

68. Smart Dog says:

Good point but you’d think we could trade 1 away. We seem to have a ton. And the line-up now is even pretty good. Markov,Komi,Hamr,Cube… not bad as a core. “A general is always fighting the last battle” as they say. We don’t want to have 10 great D-men and no big forwards.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

69. Oleg Petrov says:

Can’t trade Price Smart Dog – would never get enough back and it would be a huge hole in goal – Halak, Danis, Huet are not in the same class of what he could become.

Markov? to get that big forward back? Yes, I would do it because we have some depth on D and I agree with you – Hamrlik is the real deal, at least for another year or two which buys time for the other prospects to develop. But it would have to be that big impact forward we have been searching for who is ready now.

70. Smart Dog says:

I remember when Hamrlik was signed people saying we paid too much. But am I the ONLY one that thinks Hamrlik is a huge addition to this team, and at a price that matches his contribution.

He’s Plus-7 with 14 points on a team that has only 3 players above plus 1 (Komisaurus is plus 5, A Kost. is plus 3). He’s completely solid in his end, tough as nails (loved it when Lecalvalier tried to skate around him and ended up on this butt!), gives great break-out passes, joins the rush but manages to get back, can skate the puck out of his own end (so many players just fire it away)…. he also apparently is a great mentor – mentored Phaneuf. When i watch the game and Hamr is on the play I don’t worry. Markov has more offensive vision but just seems less solid to me. And solid my friends, is something we ain’t got enufa!

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

71. showey47 says:

doug weight traded from st.louis to anaheim for andy mcdonald

Harsh reality may dictate that neither Koivu or Kovalev will be here when we win the Cup. If we tank this year Kovalev is gone at the trade deadline – end of discussion. Koivu could stay but he has to resign at less than what he is getting now. Feelers could be put out concerning that option next year and if the answer is no then he is gone. And if I may be assertive here, let’s get something straight about our defense. Hamrlik is a good defenseman who we signed because we were in a bind. His contract is a little rich (in all aspects) for me. Markov is our main man – he along with Komisarek are the buildings blocks on defense. If McDonagh and Price join them then we are truly in business.

The Original 24 Cups

73. TradeRyder says:

Why not? A trade still makes sense… if only because we obviously have some dead wood (Ryder, Slowinski) and we could use an enforcer… something along those lines would make sense.

74. TradeRyder says:

Given the choice? I’d trade Ryder.

‘course he’s not worth much now.

75. Smart Dog says:

Interesting responses to my last post. Good point re. Price. We’d get a lot but probably not enough… and yeah, trading Markov, even for a lot MIGHT not be a good idea. But here’s a question:

If you HAD a chance to get a STAR forward and the deal had to include EITHER Markov or Hamrlik, who would you let go? Personally I think I would let go Markov. I think Hamrlik may not be quite as good in some ways – and he is older but I think he’s a better model of how this team needs to play. Tough, fast on the break-out, takes on all comers, ready to challenge.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

76. showey47 says:

Has anyone noticed how we haven’t seen or heard from gainey in the past week or so? Especially with all the trade speculation going on.

77. Oleg Petrov says:

true, but then again, he is somebody who plays it pretty close to the vest so I don’t think it really an indication of anything. GMs are always talking, doesn’t mean anything is going on. I really don’t think there is anything close to happening. So hard to make trades now and teams are still all in it. If anything will happen, it will be closer to the deadline when teams know where they stand and the cap hit is lower on any player coming to your team.

78. Smart Dog says:

Gainey’s a smart dude. He keeps his mouth shut unless there’s something that needs saying. I think he’s also letting Carbo sink or swim on his own. So far, a little of both! I bet when Bob does show up it’ll be something interesting.

_________________________________________________
    My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

79. Habs_008 says:

I liked S.K, he played great, he has speed, and is not afraid to shoot the puck. I think he will fit well on the top line. Looks like it will be the same line-up on saturday against the laffs, keep brise-bye and Ryder off. Lets see what the Kid K can do.

80. JB_15 says:

It’s interesting, I think this is the best possible scenario for the Atlanta-Toronto game. Leafs are winning 2-0, except that they are playing terribly. THe goals have been complete luck, and the leafs havent generated a single quality scoring chance. So they might win, and have an undeserved sense of confidence, but if they play like this against us I think we will smoke them.

Kovalchuk is quick btw.

81. nightmare_49 says:

NHL.com reports the Ducks have sent Andy MacDonald (C) to St.Louis for Doug Weight (C) , Michal Birner (LW) and a 7th round pick. Cap room for the Ducks.

Weight is not signed for next year so that solves the cap problem. He’s a little long in the tooth but may have one more kick at the can. Weight and Bertuzzi sure don’t add up to Selanne and MacDonald (of last year). However, the Ducks’ defense is now the best in the league (in light of the fact that most of our defensemen play forward:-) Good move by St Louis although MacDonald doesn’t get me that excited. It’s funny how trades these days don’t ring true in terms of pure hockey, but rather the cap balance sheet. There will be lots more of these before the trade deadline in February.

The Original 24 Cups

83. coutNY says:

I hate when we win, especially when they did a good job all around. I can’t play arm-chair GM or coach. Nobody posts and the rumors get squashed…so Here is to losing… cause us office-jockeys having nothing to bitch and complain about otherwise! (joking)

84. A. Berke says:

yes you are joking but, that actually appears to be lately the modus operandi around here. ;-)

Ali B.

85. ColoradoHab says:

I would like to see S. Kostitsyn stay there for a few games. I like this kid. His first NHL game, on the first line, and he did not look out of place at all.

I would have thought that a young rookie in this position would have hands of stone due to nervousness. He was almost always in the right place at both ends of the ice and he showed a few flashes of his slick playmaking ability.

Give him a few games to adjust to a big step and we may be pleasantly suprised to find out he belongs.

86. krob1000 says:

I put this on another thread but I think it is pretty well dead so sorry for those who had to read it already but I wanted to praise these guys after that game.

First off I must say great game by Streit (I guess Guy knowsd what he is doing after all). I still think we are a better team with Ryder in the lineup but that was a great game so I’ll leave it at that.

Now for some of the encouraging signs from last night. That was the first game in a long time where it appeared all four lines had their legs for three periods. There was no lack of hustle and it is no doubt a direct result of the youth injection.

The defence must have seen the Dave Reid tidbit on the NHL Network because they showed great patience in their own end and never looked panicked (aside from the PK) and made some good outlet passes and never reallly looked all that threatedned by the Flyers. Markov and Hamrlik were jumping in rushes and the stay at home guys didn’t stray.

Sergei Kostitsyn………Wow!!! In the first period he looked afraid to touch the puck and was extremely nervous. By the second period you could see he was very aware on the ice and carries himself like an offensive player. He is a good skater too and just may stick regardless of who comes back from injjury ( I know it is way to early to say something like that but I liked him). The third period he really started to get comfortable and was involved in a number of chances and showed us that he knows his way around the offensive end. When he was on the PP he looked as comfortable as anyone and when the puck was on his stick I was comletely at ease because he just looked confident. You can tell by the way a guy carries the puck what his mindset is and that kid is always thinking offense. I like it.

Now for the invisible man that still deserves praise. Latendresse didn’t appear to have a good game but int he first period he did somethin that caught my attention and likely Carbo’s as well. He went out and blocked a shot from the point (down on the ice feet first style). We need more of this. To make things that much better in the dying minute of the game with a 4-1 lead the big Guy did it again. I starting shouting in appreciation at the TV and my wife just kind of looked at me like I was a lunatic (which I may be) but I thought that play meant a lot. we need a little heart and for a guy like Lats to dive into a shot with a 4-1 lead with a minute to go showed me right there that we have our focus and commitment back.

Plekanec was a two way phenom last night. He made some incredible passes out there but to me the best of his game was when he twice covered for pinching defensemen and negated potential momentum shifting odd man rushes. Atta Boy Pleks. I must not forget Andrei Kostitsyn either….I think he was the ultimate big brother last night showing little bro the ropes. Andrei hustled as hard as I have seen him this year and he looked dangerous for sustained periods instead of just every once in a while surprising.

When all was said and done there was nothing bad to say except Shame on Hammer for that dumb penalty but I liked his feistiness with Upshall and anybody who was near our net so I can forgive him.

Looking forward to the Leafs because I am pretty sure we have our Habs back. I am not sure if they were considering hibernation there or what but they look to be back and I for one am a happier person today because of it (pathetic but true). With effort like last night I really don’t care if we win or lose ( not really but you get the idea). Before I go here I better also compliment Lapierre as I really like him killing penalties as he is a bit more aggressive than most of our guys and it was nice to see him stepping towards the guys with the puck and not just backing in.

Nice to have you back guys.

Another encouraging sign is that we are starting to win more faceoffs than we lose, not only in the Philly game but also the Tampa game. Pleks especially has started to show good improvement. Puck possession, puck possession.
    By the way, I’ve found our large, scoring centre – it’s posted on the Broadstreet Bullies thread. Lastly, a personal note to Krob. Please don’t set us up with lines like “my wife looked at me like I was a lunatic”. It’s kinda like a pitcher throwing a fast ball right down the middle of the plate (unless of course it’s Roger Clemens on steroids). In light of our victory last night, I will display a sense of kindness and leave the evaluation of your sanity in the hands of your better half:-)

The Original 24 Cups

88. mjames says:

Excellent post.

Now lets hope Carbo lets these guys run a little. The team collectivley were much more aggressive in Philly’s end. Scrap the four across the blue line and be a little more offensive minded. We have the horses to do that.

mjames

89. Habs_008 says:

Great Post, I actually read the whole thing. I agree 100% on what you said about Lats, I was also cheering when he blocked that shot, he really didnt “have to” with a 4-1 lead. It shows Carbo and Co that he is working. Cant wait for Saturday’s game. Habs better show up! They always seem to play bad against the leafs. I know we are so much better on paper then those guys. Time to show it!

90. Oleg Petrov says:

I couldn’t agree with you more Krob1000, excellent post – I really do like Lats and think he is developing as a typical young player does. You have to live with the inconsistencies but who else has his size and his hands on this team? But I too got a kick out of him blocking a shot with a 4-1 lead with seconds remaining – practice makes perfect!

The Kots brothers act was a treat to watch, especially on the power play. Of course, if the flyers had scored during that little experiment – can you imagine the whining on this site for Carbo’s head about putting two rookies on the ice at the same time?

91. nightmare_49 says:

The Blues are hoping that MavDonald and Kariya can supply the same magic as MacDonald and Selanne.

92. Bouleau noir says:

Those two (Kar-McD) are as small and as talented as player can get,… McDonald is an incredibly smouth skater with great speed.

Both McDonald and Penner were never drafted but were offer contracs by Hanahein while playing as pro in the AHL,…. the scouting staffs in Han rocks!!

93. nightmare_49 says:

The Hamilton Dawgs lost in a shot out to Grand Rapids and coach Lever was held back on the ice by his players as he attempted to go after the referee following the shot out , great show and it’s better than the constant whining we are used to. On Corey Locke’s shot out attempt he skated in fast and the goalie came out to challenge him and he simply flipped the puck over the goalie’s head and slowly let it trickled into the net , smart move by a smart player , to bad he doesn’t like the rough stuff , maybe he’ll try in Swedon next year.

94. krob1000 says:

Thanks for giving me a pass!! The faceoffs have been better for a few games now and it is nice to see. Clemens eh!! Personally I don;’t care who was on steroids and I think the Bonds thing is a witchhunt because he is a jerk and always has been.

The funniest thing about the whole steroid thing is how they claim it illegal and focus on sport……how do you think wrestlers, actors (Hello Governator!!!),etc bulked up and still do.

The whole thing is ridiculous because bad news sells. Scandal sells.

I am a huge Clemens fan and have been since I was a kid but I am not at all surpriised and I hope this at least gets everyone to back off Bonds as anyone with a brain has known all along that pitchers used them too.

The Clemens revelation hit pretty hard here in Toronto. In some ways it’s akin to the illegal recreational drug trade. Difficult to regulate and impossible to control 100%. You only have to look at the olympic scene for verification of that point. Anyway I better get off this site for awhile before my wife accuses me of being a demented person or even worse a lunatic!

The Original 24 Cups

96. krob1000 says:

I guess my thanks was a little premature!!!lol

97. rogus says:

I’m really hoping they keep Sergei in the line up.It was fun to watch the brothers play together…maybe our version of the Sedins? When they were cycling you could just see the Flyers watch in awe. How’s your ego today Brierre???

98. krob1000 says:

Briere???? Was he playing last night?? He must have been on their fourth line. Best $7 million ever not spent. I’d take Brad Richards over Briere in a heartbeat if ever given a choice.

99. saku11 says:

they played pond hockey together in their backyard. Andrei led the league in goals and Sergei led the league in assists.

100. POPS says:

I said a couple of days ago and I will say it again!….Let the offensive minded guys like Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, and Plekanec play offensive hockey. If the coaching staff allows the players to play with offence on their minds we should easily win this game. It sounds simple but to be successful as a coach I think Carbo needs to give his players some creative freedom. If they are happy they will play harder and listen more.

I too have often wondered why it is we have been coming up short against the Lousy Leafs. With the parity of our conference it’s imperative that we win a few season series against our immediate competition and the Lousy Leafs are @1 on my hit list. The word is that Price will start and I’m in total agreement with that. Let’s also play the same lines for the entire game and concentrate on shutting down Sundin (and his line). I don’t like to single out one player but it would also be a good idea to make Wozniewski handle the puck as much as possible (assuming he plays). He is brutal at times. And Ian White is pretty easy to push off the puck.

The Original 24 Cups

102. Chorske says:

hey, that’s how Gretzky got his start…