Keeping track of Koivu’s wingers

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes that Sergei Kostitsyn, who made his NHL debut on Thursday night, became the seventh player to line up as a right-winger on captain Saku Koivu’s line.

After Michael Ryder, who started the season at the position but has struggled mightily, coach Guy Carbonneau has tried Bryan Smolinski, Tom Kostopoulos, Christopher Higgins (he’s normally the left- winger on the line) and defencemen-turned-forwards Mark Streit and Mathieu Dandenault.

With all that juggling, Hickey writes: The younger Kostitsyn didn’t look out of place in his first NHL game, but if this latest experiment doesn’t work, the Canadiens might have to
resort to holding open tryouts.

1. Roy-Rules says:

Well Kostitsyn did get knocked down last night and was slow to get up, could be as a precaution he is taking a night off. Lats blocked a couple of shots, and being Latenderness probably got injured. I don’t think any trades are happening anytime soon.

2. saku11 says:

I wouldn’t trade Price. If Scotty Bowman says he’s the real deal, I’m inclined to agree. At 20, this kid is already really good and will continue to get better. If you trade him now you wouldn’t get full value for him. Not to mention that you’ll only go as far in the playoffs as you’ll goaltender will take you and every indication so far is that Carey Price is a big game player. With all due respect to Huet and Halak, I’m not sure the same can be said about them. Anyway those are just my thoughts.

Also, I wouldn’t want to see Koivu traded either. I think Montreal will be a legitimate contender in 09 and would love to see Koivu hoist the Cup in a Habs uniform and then pass it on to his teammate Vinny Lecavalier…

3. Sulemaan says:

Smart Dog,

I wouldn’t trade any of our defensive prospects (O’Byrne, Fischer, McDonough, Subban) as defense has been a long-standing weakness of the team since the last cup. So in that vein I would not trade Markov either as he is still young at 28 years old. He’s also a key component of our power-play which is a big reason why we’ve won so many games.

I agree with all of your other suggestions and assessments. The other name I would add is Kovalev. He’s old, he’s streaky and he’s got a huge contract. But for those reasons I don’t think he will be easy to trade either unless someone feels he will help them make a run at the cup.

4. A. Berke says:

Reasonable suggestion. However, in this day and age, I understand that trading in the nhl along with CBA’s etc. is something very difficult to achieve, especially at a large scale like that.

Dave Stubbs:

Do you think you can enlighten us with the possible limitations of making a trade (just basics). Thanks.

Ali B.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Pleks is slowing going to take over Koivu’s spot. Higgins deserves one more year to see if he truly is going to be a great player (because right he ain’t great – only good). Don’t worry about Hamrlik. Gainey overpaid in terms of dollars and length of contract. He’s playing well but he may be a liability in a few years. He’s going nowhere. Komisarek is untouchable in my eyes. The K brothers show potential but the jury is still out. I’d keep them for sure right now. Everyone talks about trading Ryder – right now you could probably do better with a Christmas regifted present. Breezer, Streit and Smolinski are all on one year contracts and would bring far less than you would think. I’m talking mid to low round draft pick at best. Dandy and Begin have another year left and will stay. I feel they serve a purpose and have some value in Montreal. Huet – he may not bring what guys on this site think he will. Markov? Trade him and you might as well close up shop. Koivu? That’s an in depth answer that I can’t get into right now but one thing I will say is we have to stop trading our captains like they were cattle. It’s a bad memory from a bygone era.

The Original 24 Cups

6. skoehn says:

I am HUGE Huet fan and don’t want to see him leave but he deserves a team in front of him and to be treated better by the fans and the organization…..

7. A. Berke says:

Sounds like that will be the event of the year and thanks for sharing it with us.

Just curious krob, will it be silent and deadly or thunderous? 😉

I was asking so that the folks can clear to the next province in time.

Ali B.

8. Smart Dog says:

I have this awful feeling we’re about to trade someone really good…

1. Plekanic. This needs no explanation – goal-scorer, great passer, creative, hard working. I think he has a shot at being a start forward – 35 goals, 80-90 points in 2-3 years.
    2. Higgins. Big forward, can put it in the net, good leader. Similar to Pleks in potential.
    3. Hamrlik – vital at the back. Vital veteran, grit and talent. The DNA of our defense.
    4. Komiserik. What this team needs more of.
    5. K1 & K2. Special players both, and together, could be explosive. It would be foolish to pass up the opporutnity to see if they can strike fire together as they advance as players.

I know Price isn’t there – that’s because unlike the above guys I KNOW that with Price we’d get a HUGE asset in return AND we are deep in net with or without him. With these other guys, I’m afraid Gainey would trade a Plekanic and get something modest. That would suck.

1. Ryder, Breezer, Streit, Slowinski – in a flash. Got milk? Okay – fair trade.
    2. Koivu – to a contender. I think he wants to go and deserves to go. In return I would want a big tall center prospect.
    3. Huet – all star goalie – should get something good back
    4. Boulon – he’s good but we need to get bigger.
    5. Markov – Marky is great – but he’s once again recognized as being great so we’d get something big in return. I would ONLY trade him for an equally heralded big forward or a prospect likely to turn into that.

My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

9. Smart Dog says:

I like your idea Krob. And I agree Higgins is probably the most independant forward – i.e. the one who can do it by himself. Might work out great – and maybe Koivu does just need a Lats or a Streit to bang the puck in off of.

On the other hand, if you are taking about players that can play with anyone and make the other players better, I think the leaders on this team are Plekanic and Chipchura. Plekanic so obivously has a knack for finding other players on the one hand and receiving paases and making something out of them on the other. Chips has great vision, plays aggressive, and seems to be able to thread the needle with his passes.

My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

10. A. Berke says:

in that situation it’s always prudent to cover the face and the throat. Better yet turn the face over.

Ali B.

11. Smart Dog says:

We may just field a good team on Sat. The line-up shows no Ryder, no Breezer, no Slowinski, and Streit is on 4th line forward (minimize the damage at least).

Carbo says if one of Lats and K1 can’t play, he’ll call Hamilton. So Ryder sits… good thing. Nothing against Ryder, just we have a team that flies…. let’s win a few before we think of giving him another shot at that 5th goal!

My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

12. Smart Dog says:

Ah… the conspiracies are flying!

Could be injuries – I’ve heard that when you play hard, you actually CAN get injured! Oh my!

My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

13. A. Berke says:

Ali B.

14. JF says:

RDS asked Huet a couple of weeks ago if he would be willing to stay in Montreal next season and play fewer games. He said no. Not surprising; he’s in a position to sign a long-term, multi-million dollar deal as a starting goaltender with some club. Of course he’ll do it. I just hope it’s in the West.

15. A. Berke says:

thanks for putting it this way, maybe now it may answer all them questions.

Ali B.

16. Scotty90 says:

According to RDS:
    Guillaume Latendresse and Andrei Kostitsyn could miss the game on Saturday. They did not take part in the morning practice on Friday. Guy Carbonneau is confident that he can count on them to be there against the Leafs, but just in case, Bob Gainey should place another call to Hamilton.

Duncan Milroy, Jonathan Ferland et Matt D’Agostini would be the players likely to be called-up if there is a need.

Carbonneau also confirmed that Sergei Kostitsyn will play with Christopher Higgins et Saku Koivu. Kostitsyn played close to 13 minutes in his first game in the NHL against Philadelphia.

Carbonneau did not specify if would be back in the line-up gainst the Leafs.

17. coutNY says:

The only thing about 3’K-ubed’ line, are we willing to mess up something in good working condition, to experiment with a 2 rookie line? One in which has 1 game of NHL experience?Against the Laffs no less… We finally look as if we were a team in Phili, a team simlar to TO.

In my opinion, not sure I would catergorize Saku as fast. I think Pleks, who scores and assist a lot of transitional goals, would be a better choice centering a brother formation. Does he have the vetran patients to handle the young rookies? so maybe it would have to be Koivu..

Anyway, I would take a few games to work in a brother line, in situational instances and off shifts. These guys are young maybe a few double shifts with Pleks. I admit there was an unmistakable moment were I thought the 2 Kosti’s showed shades of great chemistry… tough call.

18. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

if the experiment for this is to unite the Kosty brothers then yes.

I was pushing for Streit back to D in order to get Ryder in the lineup but after last night it would be foolish to change anything (even Gorges) going into tomorrows game.

then again, with Carb, who knows whats the lineup for tomorrow, he may have Brisbrois back in.

until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

19. krob1000 says:

No ti’s not….but I just put in a requisition to fart next Tuesday….I’ll let you know how it goes.

20. krob1000 says:

I am not trying to stir the pot after a win I just wanted to hear what other people think because I genuinely thin Higgins would be the same player on the third line….Ryder and Lats clearly are not.

21. RS says:

It’s a free country, but not at work.

22. krob1000 says:

Our corporate software doesn’t allow me access to TSN. Thank you though.

23. krob1000 says:

Strikeforce was my favourite tag team as a young wrestling fan. Rick Martel and Tito Santana……they beat demolition for the title. My friends and I had watched that match like it was a world changing event. We taked about it for months…heck years…..we were just kids you know but I always liked the name. The k’s make me think of strikeouts and they will be a force so…voila…I guess now I understand that may be random to someone else.

24. RS says:

Trent McCleary (no relation to Craig Darby)

25. krob1000 says:

Does anyone else think it is time to look at splitting Koivu and Higgins on 5 on 5 siuations??? They have tried seven rigth wingers…..maybe they should try one new left winger. This is in no way meant in any way to disrespect Higgins as I believe him to be a future star for many years here….and a semi-star now. The more I watch Higgins the more I think he could be just as successful on any line. He isn’t reliant on Koivu in any way. Ryder, Lats and Kostitsyn (Andrei) are guys who need set up men. Higgins is a one man wrecking crew and aside from Kovalev he is thte only guy who I believe can make offense happen on his own. Just a thought because if you could drop Higgins down and have three really good lines…..look out.

26. RS says:

Check out the TSN website. A Kostitsyn (knee) and Lats (unknown) skipped practice. Milroy, D’Agostino and Ferland are reportedly standing by in Hamilton awaiting the call.

27. saku11 says:

random but I like it

28. krob1000 says:

Can someone else please confirm this talk of the injuries and more call-ups being necessary perhaps.

29. ccs says:

I would love to see a Huet/Price tandem for years to come but he will be a highly sought after free agent and will be looking to cash in BIG TIME. We still need to sign others as well and hope to finally catch that elusive BIG NAME free agent, unless huet settles for less than what others offer him and in this day and age that aint gonna happen….

30. krob1000 says:

I like “Strikeforce”.

31. Habs_008 says:

I wasnt thinking of that “3K” if i offended anyone im sorry, I will think next time before i post. I honestly didnt think about that stuff. Sorry everyone!

32. Scotty90 says:

why is there no way that he will re-sign with us? I think he loves Montreal… don’t forget he is Parisian, and Montreal is as close to home as its going to get!

33. Scotty90 says:

someone that posted yesterday suggested the KO line. Pretty catchy actually.

34. jrshabs1 says:

Habs_008 do you even know what 3K’s mean? Plead ignorance and say your sorry and it’ll work it self out.

35. Blitzen says:

36. Blitzen says:

Can we have it so that any post talking about the Laffs is automatically flagged as offensive?

37. Blitzen says:

The “KO line” would be more politically correct.

38. Habs_008 says:

It was not supose to be joke, I just think that would be a goodline, I dont care what they are called. I know I’m not funny. nice boat.

39. mjames says:

Your name for the line is dumb. What rock did you crawl out from under? If you trying to be funny – you are not!!!!!

40. krob1000 says:

Ask poor Ryder!!

41. Habs_008 says:

Your right, If we can get great value for saku that will help our team in the long run, then BG will pull the trigger. On another note I still feel the pain when Patrick got traded, that pain will never go away. But that’s a whole other story, he asked to go and we had the wrong people running the ship at the time, I do not want to go back to the mid to late 90’s. They were horrible.

42. ccs says:

Tampa needs a Goaltender after getting hammered 9-6 last night. Time to make a trade….But in reality we wont make any trades until teams become desperate. Lets hope we do not become desperate but I would hope that we move our UFAs before the trade deadline. There is no way that Huet will resign with us so we may as well try and get something in return.

43. krob1000 says:

That was tragic and I would never wish that on anyone but I think these guys run an almost equal risk by reaching their sticks out and standing up. Nrmally a player nwos not to shoot at a guys head and that was a freak accident. A normal reflex would be to try and go around a player in that situation as he would have slid almost past the shooter by that time.

You are definitely right though and it is scary but someone has to do it and most team have guys who do it. The risk is why it is such an admirable play and any guy on that team could watch old Carbo tapes and to a man they would all have a new respect for him. A lot of these guys are kids and they honestly don’t remember Carbo….at least not in his prime. He was the best penalty killer/shot blocker of his day and he didn’t have Volchenkov’s goalie pads for shin pads.

44. Oleg Petrov says:

Our “depth” in net is not going to result in a meaningful return – goalies traditionally don’t fetch much in return and you are talking about a goalie who will be UFA at the end of year (Huet) or a young kid with potential (Halak) – again not a big return.

45. Scotty90 says:

OK… Halak, Ryder, Brisebois and a couple (up to a dozen) of old Forum hotdogs for Crosby and Laraque :-)

Sorry folks, last night’s win feels good and makes me feel like being silly again.

Q: are the hot dogs at the Bell Centre as good as the Forum’s were?

46. saku11 says:

Who would we get? Esposito? His stock is probably at an all time low. I think he’ll use it as motivation to get better and prove his worth. Gotta feel for the kid.

47. saku11 says:

Carbo said Price will get the start on Saturday and that the Kostitsyn bros will likely be on the same line. I hope
    SK11, SK74, AK46, AK27, CH21, TP14 are our top six forwards for the rest of the season.

48. REB says:

kROB100: I too admired Lats for both of his Carbo-type blocks, but every time I see a player do that I cringe and remember the Hab who had his throat crushed (Trent Darby?…someone help here) doing the same thing. The player I remember was reasonably good before the incident, and did come back to play, but was useless afterwards…I would ABSOLUTELY HATE for the same thing to happen to Lats.

49. odie clegorn says:

Like every other young player, they need time, patience and a leader who can teach them to how to focus on and learn from their performance. This “team” is still progressing through the four stages of team development – (I:) Forming (II:) Storming (III:) Norming and (IV:) Performing) – and I’m not sure the “right” leader is there…yet.

50. doug says:

Just got off ESPN in their “trade rumor” section:

“While Marc-Andre Fleury is out with an ankle sprain, the Penguins are looking for more options. And with Montreal’s wealth in net, Cristobal Huet could be on Pittsburgh’s list.”

51. Roy-Rules says:

Ryan Smyth was the heart and soul of the Oilers…he got traded, Kirk Muller got traded back in the days. If BG thinks its in the best interest of the team to get rid of Koivu he’ll do it. I wouldn’t like to see it, Koivu is an inspiration for millions of people. Besides Burke is not stupid to give up Perry, it just doesn’t make sense.

52. Habs_008 says:

I dont even listen to Captain K Rumours, I dont see the habs trading him, he is the heart and soul of MTL, and he has done so much for the City, he is Loved in MTL. We dont need a 40yrld defensman that is making 5mil a year, Perry would be nice. That is funny. and Unlikely, give us some real trade rumours that make sense, heres one, NO TRADES WILL HAPPEN! makes sense and its true.

53. notbigbird says:

We might finally have two linemates for Saku. There’s been a big hole there in each and every combination so far. Hopefully, this will stick and we can stop the over-the-top line juggling.

Can never trade up this time of year, never happens. And besides, only our kids are worth anything and were not moving any of them. I don’t even read posts pertaining to trades, nobody knows anything about them, Its all made up comic junk in there pimple on top of there shoulders. Pure dreamers!

55. Blitzen says:

Well, that’s good to hear.

Blitzen, I Have scouted the OHL for 13 years and the habs have a realy good prospect. This kid has a magnetic personality, very loose around people, classy, and fun to be around. And besides my fridge empties every time he comes over. Going to be a premium defence man!

He was asked once by the media what P.K. stood for in his name. Like a flash he answers, Penalty Killer!

He is going to have a ball with the Mtl. media, they better get ready for him.

57. downeast hab says:

I hope and wish Ryder would come back and score 15 or 20 goals if he is given the chance to play. And at the end of the season he can show carbo two things, left and right cheek as he is walking. Because the way he shuffled around is crazy. There are players on this team that have being just as bad at the time, but were given the time to adjust. I have been a hab fan for a long time but to see a player shunned like this, I dont like. They think Ryder is NOTHING, so let him go for NOTHING.

58. Oleg Petrov says:

Man, people have to stop calling for trades! there are no trades in today’s NHL! The rumours get more and more ridiculous because everybody knows there are no real trades to discuss.

There is no impact player coming to the habs to save the day! The team will be in a dog fight all year to make the play-offs but they will be exciting to watch (not every game but enough of them) because of the young players developing into NHL players.

Who is going to give $3 million of their cap space and hope that Ryder finds his scoring touch? He isn’t going anywhere until at least the deadline. Carbo has to play him and end the Streit experiment. Yea, he scored two goals last night but is that production giong to be there all year?

Great game last night, a lot of positives and hopefully something to build on for Saturday night. But the pressure returns at home and if things don’t go well early, could be a long night.

59. Leclerc1965 says:

If Carbo is still coach he could play defence or winger. That’s our system here don’t you know?

60. coutNY says:

Don’t worry everyone our winger hunt is about to end.

Newest laughable tabliod trash… “The rumour flying around last night was Koivu, Halak, and Prospect for Perry and Schneider. Then Teemu could return, to play with Saku and that could be fuunnu…Perry is EXTREMELY sought after by the Habs who tried to get him at last year’s deadline for Souray.” reports EK-a-laff

Fails to mention that will leave Habs without a center and around 10+ defenseman..
    Ducks with excess of # of Centers and back-up goalies?
    All this while giving up their leading scorer Perry a (22yr, 5 more year Restricted FA) making $494K ($621K – cap hit)
    HMMM sounds likely…

Sounds like a lot trouble to free about $1.5 dollars of space, which if I recall was the whole point of this exercise, don’t you think? Still does not allow any room for a Selanne return…

Throw in Ryder in for Bertuzzi also, frees $1.1; You’ll probably see this in the Ek pages tomorrow… funny stuff EK keep it rollin.

61. Rocket9 says:

Ok, I’ve figured out the problem with the Habs. It’s me.

If I watch the game, they play lousy and lose. If I don’t watch it, they play great and win.

It’s all my fault. I’m sorry.

You’ll be glad to know that I can’t watch the game on Saturday after the 1st period, so they should pull off the win.

62. J.T. says:

Not trying to be a stormcloud…and I love the kids too. But do you really think Carbo’s going to sit his buddy Breezer to allow Gorges and O’Byrne to develop? Or keep Lapierre over Smolinski? S.Kost over Begin? Nope. The established vets will get their time and we will gnash our teeth to see the kids get sent down. The only vet who seems to be ostracized in Carbo-ville is Ryder, which is too bad. Because he’s the only one who could conceivably offer much more than he has been so far. I really hope he gets a start against TO and pots a couple. Something’s gotta give sometime, right?

63. krob1000 says:

Cabbie’s co-host!!

64. Blitzen says:

I just love watching Subban in interviews. The guy is a natural media personality. What’s your best guess about his future, D-Man or winger?

We have lots of quality D-Men coming up so I wouldn’t mind seeing him converted, unless his D comes around to match his O.

65. Blitzen says:

You need two willing sides to trade. And both sides need to feel like they are improving their teams.

Hey Kevin, We have a new winger for Koivu, And all you hab fans are going to see him play over the holidays. He is 18 years old, and made our national junior team. P.K. Suban was a walk on two years ago for the Belleville Bulls. He did not know the game very well then, but could he fly on the blades.

He plays D , and winger on the same shift, he has a shot loaned to him from Boom Boom G. You guys are going to enjoy watching this kid develope.

I don’t know how Carbo is going to reign this kid in to be a stay at home D. Maybe next year P.K. will be Koivu’s winger. I think he can out skate him now!!

Shawn Matias from the Bulls made the team also, he is a very hard working winger and a sniper. 19 year old.

67. Habs_008 says:

Sending Ryder down would be a BIG mistake, We will lose him for NOTHING. Lets at least get a draft pick in return or maybe a BIG centre, someone would pick him up 4 sure. that is not the way to go.

68. downeast hab says:

I say, either play Ryder or trade him.You dont get points in the PB.If they dont want him, then try to send hin to the minors.Im willing to bet someone will pick him up in a heartbeat.I think in the back of his mind, he would go for it,cause how low can you go till you ask for change.

69. krob1000 says:

Thanks Stormcloud!!!

Raining on our parade. Thanks for the dose of reality. I like Ryder coming back but Brisebois is fine with being ina nd out and I think that was his expected role. Begin is in sa dogfight with Kosto, Lapierre and the hybrids. I think there is room for the kids and someone will have to go. If these kids play well enought o stay I think they will. I think it is only expected that one or more will eventually falter but if not we just may have the Montreal Jr. Canadiens and I for one am o.k.with that.

70. J.T. says:

This is all great…getting to see the kids in action and see for ourselves how close they are to being contributors in the NHL. But we have to check ourselves too, and realize that this is only temporary. Like it or not, we’re saddled with Smolinski for the year. Ryder will be back in the lineup at some point, and Begin and Breezer will be back from their injuries. Sometime in the next month or so, Gainey’s going to have to send some of Halak, O’Byrne, Lapierre and/or S.Kostitsyn back to Hamilton. Still, it’s nice to see there are capable guys coming soon.

71. krob1000 says:

lol Yesterday was probably the most negative I have ever been on here. I always try to see the positive even in the midst of our annual pre-Christmas vacation but I still disagree on the Ryder situation. The funniest thing about me always on here defending him is I have spent the last two years making fun of him to my wife as he is her favourite player. I never meant any of it but I still always mocked him at home but now I find myself cheering as hard as ever fotr the guy because I son’t think his punishment fits his crime of poor luck.

72. N.B. habs fan 50 yrs says:

Great comment nice to here fans on the positive side for a change.I hope carb.dosent change the line up to,but I think he will frig it up by putting Rideit back in hoping he will earn his pay .I would like to see him back but am to scared he will mess it up again.Lets make it 3 straight against totonto then we will have something to really cheer about,cant wait GO HABS GO……….

73. WindsorHab-10 says:

I still think Carbonneau will do something stupid on Saturday and shake up his lines, especially if they have a bad start against the Leafs. Winning last night was good and hopefully they can add to it. This team is troubled and unhappy with the coach and playing well last night was a reminder to us and Gainey that they can play hard and compete when the chemistry is good. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens but I for one still have my doubts about Carbonneau.

74. MEL FRIEND says:

just a question why does bg refuse to make a trade to make the team much better.

75. kevin m says:

Popular opinion of the day was that Luc Robitaille & Mike Bossy also lacked footspeed, toughness & size at the start of their careers. When they started potting goals like Tiger Woods sinks puts at Augusta, it didn’t really matter anymore.

I’ll say it again “You can’t teach someone to score… it’s instinct and quickness that rarely involves any thought process”.

PLAY RYDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

76. Habs_008 says:

I liked S.K, he played great, he has speed, and is not afraid to shoot the puck. I think he will fit well on the top line. Looks like it will be the same line-up on saturday against the laffs, keep brise-bye and Ryder off. Lets see what the Kid K can do.

77. coutNY says:

I hate when we win, especially when they did a good job all around. I can’t play arm-chair GM or coach. Nobody posts and the rumors get squashed…so Here is to losing… cause us office-jockeys having nothing to bitch and complain about otherwise! (joking)

78. A. Berke says:

yes you are joking but, that actually appears to be lately the modus operandi around here. 😉

Ali B.

79. ColoradoHab says:

I would like to see S. Kostitsyn stay there for a few games. I like this kid. His first NHL game, on the first line, and he did not look out of place at all.

I would have thought that a young rookie in this position would have hands of stone due to nervousness. He was almost always in the right place at both ends of the ice and he showed a few flashes of his slick playmaking ability.

Give him a few games to adjust to a big step and we may be pleasantly suprised to find out he belongs.

80. krob1000 says:

I put this on another thread but I think it is pretty well dead so sorry for those who had to read it already but I wanted to praise these guys after that game.

First off I must say great game by Streit (I guess Guy knowsd what he is doing after all). I still think we are a better team with Ryder in the lineup but that was a great game so I’ll leave it at that.

Now for some of the encouraging signs from last night. That was the first game in a long time where it appeared all four lines had their legs for three periods. There was no lack of hustle and it is no doubt a direct result of the youth injection.

The defence must have seen the Dave Reid tidbit on the NHL Network because they showed great patience in their own end and never looked panicked (aside from the PK) and made some good outlet passes and never reallly looked all that threatedned by the Flyers. Markov and Hamrlik were jumping in rushes and the stay at home guys didn’t stray.

Sergei Kostitsyn………Wow!!! In the first period he looked afraid to touch the puck and was extremely nervous. By the second period you could see he was very aware on the ice and carries himself like an offensive player. He is a good skater too and just may stick regardless of who comes back from injjury ( I know it is way to early to say something like that but I liked him). The third period he really started to get comfortable and was involved in a number of chances and showed us that he knows his way around the offensive end. When he was on the PP he looked as comfortable as anyone and when the puck was on his stick I was comletely at ease because he just looked confident. You can tell by the way a guy carries the puck what his mindset is and that kid is always thinking offense. I like it.

Now for the invisible man that still deserves praise. Latendresse didn’t appear to have a good game but int he first period he did somethin that caught my attention and likely Carbo’s as well. He went out and blocked a shot from the point (down on the ice feet first style). We need more of this. To make things that much better in the dying minute of the game with a 4-1 lead the big Guy did it again. I starting shouting in appreciation at the TV and my wife just kind of looked at me like I was a lunatic (which I may be) but I thought that play meant a lot. we need a little heart and for a guy like Lats to dive into a shot with a 4-1 lead with a minute to go showed me right there that we have our focus and commitment back.

Plekanec was a two way phenom last night. He made some incredible passes out there but to me the best of his game was when he twice covered for pinching defensemen and negated potential momentum shifting odd man rushes. Atta Boy Pleks. I must not forget Andrei Kostitsyn either….I think he was the ultimate big brother last night showing little bro the ropes. Andrei hustled as hard as I have seen him this year and he looked dangerous for sustained periods instead of just every once in a while surprising.

When all was said and done there was nothing bad to say except Shame on Hammer for that dumb penalty but I liked his feistiness with Upshall and anybody who was near our net so I can forgive him.

Looking forward to the Leafs because I am pretty sure we have our Habs back. I am not sure if they were considering hibernation there or what but they look to be back and I for one am a happier person today because of it (pathetic but true). With effort like last night I really don’t care if we win or lose ( not really but you get the idea). Before I go here I better also compliment Lapierre as I really like him killing penalties as he is a bit more aggressive than most of our guys and it was nice to see him stepping towards the guys with the puck and not just backing in.

Nice to have you back guys.

Another encouraging sign is that we are starting to win more faceoffs than we lose, not only in the Philly game but also the Tampa game. Pleks especially has started to show good improvement. Puck possession, puck possession.
    By the way, I’ve found our large, scoring centre – it’s posted on the Broadstreet Bullies thread. Lastly, a personal note to Krob. Please don’t set us up with lines like “my wife looked at me like I was a lunatic”. It’s kinda like a pitcher throwing a fast ball right down the middle of the plate (unless of course it’s Roger Clemens on steroids). In light of our victory last night, I will display a sense of kindness and leave the evaluation of your sanity in the hands of your better half:-)

The Original 24 Cups

82. mjames says:

Excellent post.

Now lets hope Carbo lets these guys run a little. The team collectivley were much more aggressive in Philly’s end. Scrap the four across the blue line and be a little more offensive minded. We have the horses to do that.

83. Habs_008 says:

Great Post, I actually read the whole thing. I agree 100% on what you said about Lats, I was also cheering when he blocked that shot, he really didnt “have to” with a 4-1 lead. It shows Carbo and Co that he is working. Cant wait for Saturday’s game. Habs better show up! They always seem to play bad against the leafs. I know we are so much better on paper then those guys. Time to show it!

84. Oleg Petrov says:

I couldn’t agree with you more Krob1000, excellent post – I really do like Lats and think he is developing as a typical young player does. You have to live with the inconsistencies but who else has his size and his hands on this team? But I too got a kick out of him blocking a shot with a 4-1 lead with seconds remaining – practice makes perfect!

The Kots brothers act was a treat to watch, especially on the power play. Of course, if the flyers had scored during that little experiment – can you imagine the whining on this site for Carbo’s head about putting two rookies on the ice at the same time?

85. krob1000 says:

Thanks for giving me a pass!! The faceoffs have been better for a few games now and it is nice to see. Clemens eh!! Personally I don;’t care who was on steroids and I think the Bonds thing is a witchhunt because he is a jerk and always has been.

The funniest thing about the whole steroid thing is how they claim it illegal and focus on sport……how do you think wrestlers, actors (Hello Governator!!!),etc bulked up and still do.

The whole thing is ridiculous because bad news sells. Scandal sells.

I am a huge Clemens fan and have been since I was a kid but I am not at all surpriised and I hope this at least gets everyone to back off Bonds as anyone with a brain has known all along that pitchers used them too.

The Clemens revelation hit pretty hard here in Toronto. In some ways it’s akin to the illegal recreational drug trade. Difficult to regulate and impossible to control 100%. You only have to look at the olympic scene for verification of that point. Anyway I better get off this site for awhile before my wife accuses me of being a demented person or even worse a lunatic!

The Original 24 Cups

87. krob1000 says:

I guess my thanks was a little premature!!!lol

88. rogus says:

I’m really hoping they keep Sergei in the line up.It was fun to watch the brothers play together…maybe our version of the Sedins? When they were cycling you could just see the Flyers watch in awe. How’s your ego today Brierre???

89. krob1000 says:

Briere???? Was he playing last night?? He must have been on their fourth line. Best $7 million ever not spent. I’d take Brad Richards over Briere in a heartbeat if ever given a choice.

90. saku11 says:

they played pond hockey together in their backyard. Andrei led the league in goals and Sergei led the league in assists.

I too have often wondered why it is we have been coming up short against the Lousy Leafs. With the parity of our conference it’s imperative that we win a few season series against our immediate competition and the Lousy Leafs are @1 on my hit list. The word is that Price will start and I’m in total agreement with that. Let’s also play the same lines for the entire game and concentrate on shutting down Sundin (and his line). I don’t like to single out one player but it would also be a good idea to make Wozniewski handle the puck as much as possible (assuming he plays). He is brutal at times. And Ian White is pretty easy to push off the puck.

The Original 24 Cups

92. Chorske says:

hey, that’s how Gretzky got his start…

93. showey47 says:

Has anyone noticed how we haven’t seen or heard from gainey in the past week or so? Especially with all the trade speculation going on.

94. Oleg Petrov says:

true, but then again, he is somebody who plays it pretty close to the vest so I don’t think it really an indication of anything. GMs are always talking, doesn’t mean anything is going on. I really don’t think there is anything close to happening. So hard to make trades now and teams are still all in it. If anything will happen, it will be closer to the deadline when teams know where they stand and the cap hit is lower on any player coming to your team.

95. Smart Dog says:

Gainey’s a smart dude. He keeps his mouth shut unless there’s something that needs saying. I think he’s also letting Carbo sink or swim on his own. So far, a little of both! I bet when Bob does show up it’ll be something interesting.

My favorite player is Grab-ARF!-ski

96. JB_15 says:

It’s interesting, I think this is the best possible scenario for the Atlanta-Toronto game. Leafs are winning 2-0, except that they are playing terribly. THe goals have been complete luck, and the leafs havent generated a single quality scoring chance. So they might win, and have an undeserved sense of confidence, but if they play like this against us I think we will smoke them.

Kovalchuk is quick btw.

97. nightmare_49 says: reports the Ducks have sent Andy MacDonald (C) to St.Louis for Doug Weight (C) , Michal Birner (LW) and a 7th round pick. Cap room for the Ducks.

Weight is not signed for next year so that solves the cap problem. He’s a little long in the tooth but may have one more kick at the can. Weight and Bertuzzi sure don’t add up to Selanne and MacDonald (of last year). However, the Ducks’ defense is now the best in the league (in light of the fact that most of our defensemen play forward:-) Good move by St Louis although MacDonald doesn’t get me that excited. It’s funny how trades these days don’t ring true in terms of pure hockey, but rather the cap balance sheet. There will be lots more of these before the trade deadline in February.

The Original 24 Cups

99. nightmare_49 says:

The Blues are hoping that MavDonald and Kariya can supply the same magic as MacDonald and Selanne.

100. Bouleau noir says:

Those two (Kar-McD) are as small and as talented as player can get,… McDonald is an incredibly smouth skater with great speed.

Both McDonald and Penner were never drafted but were offer contracs by Hanahein while playing as pro in the AHL,…. the scouting staffs in Han rocks!!

101. nightmare_49 says:

The Hamilton Dawgs lost in a shot out to Grand Rapids and coach Lever was held back on the ice by his players as he attempted to go after the referee following the shot out , great show and it’s better than the constant whining we are used to. On Corey Locke’s shot out attempt he skated in fast and the goalie came out to challenge him and he simply flipped the puck over the goalie’s head and slowly let it trickled into the net , smart move by a smart player , to bad he doesn’t like the rough stuff , maybe he’ll try in Swedon next year.

102. POPS says:

I said a couple of days ago and I will say it again!….Let the offensive minded guys like Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, and Plekanec play offensive hockey. If the coaching staff allows the players to play with offence on their minds we should easily win this game. It sounds simple but to be successful as a coach I think Carbo needs to give his players some creative freedom. If they are happy they will play harder and listen more.