Keep cool on Gorges

gorges

Pat Hickey writes: “Canadiens fans shouldn’t lose any sleep over defenceman Josh Gorges’s decision to take the team to arbitration over his salary for the coming season.”

Arpon Basu analyzes Gorges’ case

SK74 among players filing for arbitration

Ladd signing sends message for Jets

1. AndyHabs says:

Change of subject here but P.K subban is a great guy!! In haiti supporting there ppl and bringing the CH to the kids of haiti I love it he just keeps making good decisions on and off the ice!!! PK PK
    Mtl 514 Go habs!!!!

• Marc10 says:

He’s a great kid. We should draft the whole family.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• FishOutOfWater says:

met him last year at a minor hockey tournament in kitchener. he was supporting his brother and cousin, who both looked great and stuck out amongst the other 16 year olds. chatted with him a bit after the game grabbed a picture and wished him luck in mtl. great guy

2. Gerry H says:

Not to revive the tiresome Konopka saga, but I have to confess that there was one part of that discussion that still puzzles the hell out of me. Why was his FO% such a big deal? Admittedly, 57% puts him in the top tier of centres in the NHL. In fact there are only a handful of guys who managed over 60%. But what does that translate into? Given that a poor FO% is in the low 40s, what we’re supposed to get excited about is – in the extreme – four out of ten face off-wins versus six out of ten. Measured against an average performer, Konopka’s (or any other face-off ace’s) six out of ten translates into ONE additional FO win per game, for a fourth line centre.

Just how much is that really worth?

• Andrew65 says:

Not to mention the fact that he likely never faced off against anyone other than a third or another fourth liner.

But more than enough about Konopka.

• Gerry H says:

I guess my broader point was that FO% in general seems like a pretty marginal stat.

• Andrew65 says:

Agreed. Not much difference in a few percentage points; certainly not as much as, say, a 0.1 difference in save percentage.

And I like to think that getting better at faceoffs is just a matter of practice and some coaching. Kind of like Shaq’s free throws. Wait a minute…Shaq never improved in that area. Oh well, the theory may still be sound.

• J_P says:

Not at all. Faceoff win % is directly correlated to puck posession. Not to mention that offensive zone faceoff wins are huge.

I do agree though that in the case of Konopka, the stat is pretty useless because he’s probably not facing off against quality centermen.

However, let’s say pleks is averaging 47% in the circle, and the opposing teams top center is averaging 57%, that is a very significant difference, and could mean the difference between winning and losing tight games.

• habs001 says:

faceoff stats include wins in the neutral zone and wins in meaningless situations…what we have to really improve on is winning faceoffs at the start of the pp as we seem to lose a lot of these and also in our zone during pk,end of games and o/t…right now we dont have any centres that i have confidence in that they can win a huge draws at critical situations…hopefully gomez and plecks really dedicate themselves to work on this aspect of their game…

• ProHabs says:

Hockey is a game of inches fellows. 1 faceoff could make all the difference. Especially in overtime. Every faceoff is important and the more of them you win, the more puck possession you have.

But most importantly, this guy would be able to punch the faces in of every Bruins aside from maybe Chara, Lucic and Thornton. That was the real advantage of getting him but once again Gauthier and Martin have never played high calibor hockey before and don’t realize the importance of grit and intimidation. Once again, the team will be soft and get pushed around by the Bruins and all the players can do it take it. Embaressing.

• Marc10 says:

I don’t think many Habs are actually intimidated, but it is true that Boston’s smaller players play bigger because of those 3.

And bigger, physical players with speed create space and time for skilled players. Smaller players constantly on the receiving end of abuse would likely fade over 4 playoff series. Cole should help a bit in that respect.

Beating up the odd Bruin isn’t a high priority. Creating space for skill and putting a great pressure on the opposition is important. We’re still missing that.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
        Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

3. habs001 says:

it looks like the east will be very close..we may have 12/15 teams be just points apart…most of us think the habs will make the playoffs but whichever of the other 7 teams make the playoffs we will be capable of beating them in the first round but we will also be capable to losing to….this is why the trade deadline may be the biggest key to give us a better odds of winning the first round…gauthier will have to be active this season…

4. habs_r_us says:

10 facts about you:

1. You are reading this comment

2. You are realizing that is a stupid fact

4. you didn’t notice I skipped three.

5. You’re checking now

6. You’re smiling

7. You are still reading my comment

9. You didn’t realize I skipped eight

10. You’re checking again and smiling about how you fell for it again.

11. You are enjoying this

12. You didnt realize there are only supposed to be ten facts.

5. joeybarrie says:

See alot of bashing on the Gomez trade. Like NYR got 4 phenomenal players out of it…
    They got Higgins…. Won a Stanley Cup in Vancouver….
    Valentenko…….ZERO games in the NHL.
    Janik……..Plays for the Red Wings.
    McDonagh……..Good prospect, might even become a top 4 defenseman.
    We got Pyatt. Really helped out last season, but not gonna be any type of game changer…
    Gomez… He is ABSOLUTELY a game changer. He just needs to produce. Has not worked out for us as we hoped. But I think we will see good things from him this season. Too expensive… Of course…..
    But its not the worse trade. Not by a LONG LONG shot. The only downside for us is the size of the Cap hit… If it wasnt for that we would have stolen that trade………..
    So I think maybe we should stop focusing on it like it has been the downfall of this team from the last 20 years…….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• scrowe21 says:

Yeah, I like Gomez. He did have a really bad season, and played awful at times.. but I think people are forgetting the slump that Gionta went through while Gomez was setting him up with empty nets. He is a playmaker, and he set up a lot of people last year who just weren’t putting it in the net. He needs to shoot more himself though.

• issie74 says:

Yes …. the Habs got fleeced on that one. LOL

NorthTOHab

• el heffe says:

Higgins won a Stanley Cup in Vancouver? …so they rioted for nothing? wierd.

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• Un Canadien errant says:

We can’t analyze this trade strictly by weighting the relative talents and production of the players involved. A great benefit derived by one team was getting out of a budget killing contract.

Essentially this trade was Scott Gomez vs. Ryan McDonagh and $30 M of cap relief over four years.

We can analyze this trade more fully in a couple years, based on Mr. Gomez’ production and status with the Canadiens vs. Mr. McDonagh’s with the Rangers. Right now, I think the Rangers are slightly ahead.

———————————
      Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

• habstrinifan says:

Not going to address the sardonicism in your observations on the players who were moved because of Gomez’s trade.

But I dont think anyone who criticises the Gomez trade acts as if it has been the downfall of the team for the last twenty years.

But people do criticise and justifiably so. In fact, if I may, I would like to quote a quite level-headed analysis of the trade. I think you may agree with the writer’s assessment based on Gomez’s overall performance as a HAB thus far.

“He just needs to produce. Has not worked out for us as we hoped. … Too expensive… Of course…..”

And that in a nutshell has been the criticism of the trade all along!

While I am at it I cannot help but recall the advice of my Economics professor..”Do not let the conclusion of your thesis destroy the conclusions of your thesis”

• bobinsask says:

Gomez is a game changer?? Over the past four years he certainly hasn’t been.

All he needs to do is produce? That could apply to anyone playing for the team. If they could produce they could be a game changer.

• joeybarrie says:

3 and 4 years ago Gomez led the Rangers in scoring. (minus 1 point behind Jagr)
        They won some games in those 2 seasons… SO YES I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THE LEADING SCORER FOR A TEAM IS A GAME CHANGER….

Gomez helped lead this team to a conference finals…. 3rd in scoring in the playoffs, and 2nd on the team…. AGAIN GAME CHANGER…
        By producing you are in fact changing the game… By doing is consistently you are a game changer. He may not be the highest scoring player in the NHL, but he has one of the highest number of assists in the NHL….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

3 and 4 years ago huh???? Guess thats why there are so many teams just begging for his services huh? hahahahahaha

• Duracell3 says:

“but he has one of the highest number of assists in the NHL”

Assists: 31
          League Rank: 92nd

Nope.

• el heffe says:

do CAPITAL LETTERS make statements true? BECAUSE if they do. I WILL use THEM all the time to ILLUSTRATE the VERACITY of my comments.

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• el heffe says:

GOMEZ is A GAME CHANGER in the sense that he CHANGES the GAME into ONE where by the HIGHEST PAID are the WORST at IT.

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• J_P says:

“The only downside for us is the size of the Cap hit…” you say it like it’s not a significant downside, not to mention that we gave up a top prospect for the pleasure of acquiring that ridiculous cap hit.

6. FishOutOfWater says:

are my posts being deleted?

7. johnny_habs_4ever says:

BREAKING NEWS (pun intended): Montreal Canadiens now have their very own ‘Broken Neck Brigade’!

8. SyntaxLove says:

I was silently and sullenly holding out for either Miettinen, Langenbrunner or Arnott. Sigh.

9. Castor says:

Can we start a petition to change the GOAL SONG already? I was watching some old Saku and Kovy footage and it was U2 then…it’s U2 now. Getting old. Should have changed it with the big team make over last year.

10. Bripro says:

And now Pyatt is gone to Tampa Bay on a two-way.
    Didn’t offer much, but I liked his penalty killing skills.
    He came to the Habs with Gomez and Michael Busto. Does anyone know where Busto’s at?
    Boy, what a trade that was, huh? We certainly got out money’s worth…
    (Reader’s note: sarcasm)

11. Everlasting1 says:

The Blues sure have beefed up their offense with the signing of Jason Arnott, Jamie Langenbrunner. This should catapult them among the top o’ the West.

——————————————————————-
    ” There were giants on the earth in those days; and also after that (The Deluge), when the Sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.” Genesis 6:4

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bigdawg says:

are you serious?? (or are you joking – hard to tell, if you are my bad)

no doubt Arnie and Langer make the blues a playoff contender. They finished 10pts out last year.

With the addition of these two they could be in it right to the end. Their leadership and savvy could potentially contribute the extra 10 if they fit in and remain healthy.

Question is will the leafs finish 8,9 or 10th and wouldn’t it be something to meet them in the playoffs.

• Everlasting1 says:

I wouldn’t joke about something as serious as this.
        Sure, 10 points out after a season rifed with injuries..keepin’ it reeal, dawg.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bigdawg says:

We were rife with injuries and still made it to 6th place. Add Arnott and Langer and we would have a had a shot to compete for best in the east – IF our best stay healthy. Without a little extra, I see us competing for 3rd to 6th -That’s pretty good! Problem is if we lose the equivalent of a Markov, Gorges and Patches again this year, its 5 to 8th for us.

The Blues have a stiffer hill to climb than we do. But they are on the up and up. How many points is the mystery – “Go Oshie” cause he tastes good!

• Everlasting1 says:

By my assessment, the injuries to STL were costlier.
            Steeper hill? They have 6 to 8 players on their roster gunning for 20Gs or more. I forecast the Blues to cruise into the playoffs this year. I think they have the depth now to overcome lengthy injuries.
            You should recognize a fan when you see one :-)

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Duracell3 says:

I think the Blues are at least as good as us. They don’t have a Markov level defenseman, but Shattenkirk and pietrangelo are and will be very good, and all 4 forward lines can score. They also don’t have any outrageous contracts, and they don’t usually get pushed around. If they learn to not let a billion odd man rushes and breakaways against every game they will have no problem making the playoffs. Last year they let the kids just go hoping this year with added veterans and some experience, and fewer injuries, they can do serious damage.

• OneTimer says:

“This should catapult them among the top o’ the West.”

Haaaaahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha (deep breath) hahahhahahahahahahahahaha!!

I can’t tell if this is an attempt at trolling, or just pure delusion by a simpleton. I’ll go with the latter.

Thanks for the laugh. :)

12. JohnBellyful says:

Bought a lamp at a yard sale yesterday. Started polishing it when a genie appeared, said he’d grant me three wishes. I’ve been preparing for this moment for years so I said: “I wish I had 10,000 more wishes!”
    He stared at me and growled: “I wish people would smarten up and realize that’s not the way it works. Three wishes. Period.”
    Okay, now I was in a panic. Three wishes and I had to make to make the most of them. Well, life’s been good, the heart transplant worked out fine, the artificial hip is holding up, and I’m already on the list for a new kidney, so I thought: Why not help somebody who could really use some help.
    “My wish is that the Habs find a power forward, who knows how to score and put up a fight.”
    Well, Brendan Shanahan wasn’t too happy about being pulled from a meeting so I paid his cab fare home. When you’re as old as a genie, the centuries blend together. One decade’s no different from another.
    Hmmm, I better put a little more thought into my next wish.
    “I wish the Habs sign someone CURRENTLY in the NHL who’s well over six feet tall, is an excellent skater and a terrific faceoff man, who isn’t afraid to go into the corners or to step in when the big boys get rowdy, and who also has soft hands.”
    Well, Mike Cvik was even angrier than Shanahan so I gave him an extra twenty and paid for his cab fare back to linesmen camp.
    So, here I am with a wish to go and scared to use it.
    I wish I kn … whoa, that was close.

Another great candidate for the HNIC analyst job – http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371130

Here are a few possible scenarios that could happen next season. See if you can match them to their likely HIO response.

If

1. The Tampa Bay Lightning visit the Bell Centre and win 5-4 in OT with MAB scoring the game winner.
    2. By next season we are in mid-December and Gomez has only 2 goals and 8 assists for a total of 10 points.
    3. There will be a game whereby a Habs player gets injured, and in that game there will have been a few scrums prior to the injury, and in those scrums the Habs would have had come up on the losing end of one or two fights.
    4. The Habs start out the season with a 2-8-0 record.
    5. The Habs win the Stanley Cup.

Then

a) Habs-Proffesor will say the Habs need more N.A.G. and will call for both Henry and Conboy to be called up.
    b) Timo will say the Habs suck.
    c) SmartDog will rant about the Gomez contract.
    d) HardHabits will bring out his tank avatar and post a page long comment devoted to size and grit.
    e) All of the above.

15. Critical-MASS says:

Hey guys PK Subban joined tim and sid uncut the podcast today…check it out!—-scroll to about the 36min and 30sec past part of the show.the interview begins there.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

16. Stuck_in_To. says:

Gomez. He’s like the HIO poster hair shirt.

But he won’t matter by Christmas because the line of

Pacioretty-Eller-Cole

is going to be banging and cycling and scoring like a band of merchant marines on shore leave in Singapore.

I hope Gomer can adjust to third line duty.

17. Castor says:

I have to say something or two about Gomez. Sure his point total was wretched last year an his plus minus was awful. But the guy brings an intangible to the team. Two quick points:
    When he was injured this past year, I couldn’t believe I was sayid it but we needed him back. We could barely get into the offensive zone. And secondly, when he was playing with Gio and MaxPac for those 20 or so games. He was almost a point per game player.
    He’s not at all worth 8 mil. But he is not worthless.

• A. Berke says:

Those 20 or so games when he had some resemblance of scoring was due to the presence of Pacioretty (Max was attracting the opposing D thus taking the heat off of Gomer).

When he was injured for some games the team didn’t have any better replacements, period. All these doesn’t make Gomer an elite player during anytime the last season or for that matter while he has been with us.

Cheers,

Ali B.

18. _Habsoloutly_ says:

How many Gomez’s does it take to change a lightbulb?

I was obviously just stirring the pot with the Gomez comment.

20. twilighthours says:

Long live “veteran youth.”

21. kevin m says:

Anyone out there think that the Rangers are going to have trouble getting 4 arbitration cases for RFA’s Dubinsky, Boyle, Callahan & Sauer locked up as well as UFA’s McCabe & Eminger?

What do you think our chances are of maybe getting Boyle & Eminger somewhere down the road?

I hear that Gomez wants to renegotiate his THC clause.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Is there some story involving Gomez and weed I’m forgetting or never heard? If so please share HH, I need to know

I noticed you referencing weed and Gomer a few times today…

• HardHabits says:

This is my 1st reference today H²2. It must’ve been some one else and it is highly coincidental.

That’s how rumours star you know.

• HalifaxHabs says:

lol, are you messing with me now? or did I read something from someone else? am I suffering from paranoia? why does that pink elephant keep peeking in my living room window? what was in that joint?

oh well, I woulda loved to hear a good ganja story

• Un Canadien errant says:

HH, this is the math geek in me speaking, but your initials don’t equal H squared. The two H’s are not multiplied, they’re added, so properly if you choose to do so, you should refer to yourself as 2H (since H+H=2H). If you and Halifax Habs get together and gang up on posters, you would properly be 4H (2H+2H=4H).

Thanks for calling out Angel on his spelling though, his posts make my eyeballs bleed, I’ve started to skim or skip them.

———————————

• HardHabits says:

What about if Hobie Hanson joins in?

• db says:

Awesomeness.

And somehow I feel that Gomez could turn weed into a performance enhancing drug lol

• Un Canadien errant says:

2H+2H+2H=6H.

And if I join you we get 6H+(U+C+E)=…. well, we get 6H+U+C+E, which is kind of a mess, and we really lose the simplicity we were going after here, but you get what I’m after.

Sign O’Brien.

———————————

• LA Loyalist says:

A few months ago a poster swore up and down that he knew someone who had witnessed possession at an airport.

It is such a terrible accusation that we should not rely on it without substantiation, but that’s where it came from. I am no fan of Gomez, but I sure hope it’s not true.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Thanks for the straight answer 911… I hope you take that bag off your head when you take that Porsche out for a spin :)

• LA Loyalist says:

Of course.

As for the 911, my kid yells at me if I go 1 click over :) there is really no point in having a Porsche in LA, with the pot holes and traffic. I should really have a 72 Dodge with a baseball bat on the back seat :)

By the way, I was in Calgary/Lake Louise over the weekend, they have a new highway the 201 which enables you to circumvent over top of the city from the airport, it is smoooooth and nice, as are every other road I drove on. That and Big Rock draft beer. Life in Calgary is good, let’s see how their team goes this year.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Ah yes, Stoney Trail AKA the Ring Road. It was long overdue though

• HardHabits says:

I heard something else. Not that it matters because of course it’s unsubstantiated. Next thing you know the Gazette will be reporting it.

Comments like that are merely a litmus test for how tight people’s knickers are knotted on any particular given day.

With that in mind we can be happy to know that the advertisers who pay for us to have a forum to live out our Keyboard GM Fantasies™ are fooled into believing that the incessant increase in comments and page hits is somehow related to ad revenue.

• solomio says:

Ya and those links to the T’s and Cargo Pants don’t work either!!

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• Un Canadien errant says:

Is that the same guy who works at the hospital who was there the night they brought in Richard Gere?

———————————

• samTHEman says:

other than he’s mexican and plays in montreal – no

• Ian Cobb says:

nothing wrong with a little TLC, but send all the THC this way. He never touches it.