Kaberle, birthday boy Price and bride Duff

So Tomas Kaberle is still a Toronto Maple Leaf. How many of you stayed up past midnight to see whether he’d be traded, or whether his no-trade clause would again kick in? (Where’s Mats Sundin in all of this?)

Evidently, Canadiens goalie Carey Price didn’t sparkle in a team calf-roping event in Chilliwack. Price turns 23 today, by the way.

And if Hilary Duff hadn’t married Mike Comrie, but instead wed the Windsor Star’s Bob Duff, or even NHL Hall of Famer Dick Duff, she’d be Hilary Duff-Duff.

Yes, it’s a slow morning at HIO…

1. Mark C says:

Didn’t need him to win? Colorado won the 2000-01 Cup in 7 games, they sure did need him.

2. adam76 says:

I saw her last week on CTV newsnet.  See appears to be the fill in lady for summer vacations.

3. Mark C says:

I didn’t post anything about him “deserve(ing) a cup”. Was just questioning how you could call the career of the NHL’s 11th highest scorer merely “above average.”

4. adam76 says:

Are you a vegetarian?

5. jabber39 says:

She did…with Hillary Duff-Duff

Knowing is Half the Battle…

6. ZepFan2 says:

What would you know about making friends?

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

7. StevieRay says:

since it’s a real slow news day … Did Brian Burke’s wife ever get her TV show in Toronto. Wasn’t that the kicker to whether he’s sign on as GM with Toronto.

So if she did … what’s she on .. easy now boys !!

8. jabber39 says:

I’d do Hillary Duff-Duff

Knowing is Half the Battle…

9. SLONCOLD says:

oh i know the nhl needs espn. but lets face it some markets r a pretty tough sell regardless if you’re with espn

10. adam76 says:

You don’t make friends with salad.

11. Mark C says:

It’s like saying Bill Gates has above average wealth.

12. adam76 says:

Even if he had Orr like numbers, he doesn’t “deserve” a cup.

13. derfab says:

Great career on a losing team. Like Roy, low class finish on a team that didn’t need him to win.

character is derfab destiny.

14. ZepFan2 says:

nobody cares about that, there just human beings…

Right, because I never see anything about people being killed or maimed in an accident on the news.

For me, the bottom line is the fact that Humans can speak up for themselves. Animals, not so much. It kills me when I hear that Quebec has the most puppy mills in North America.

We, have to speak for them. imho

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

15. AndyF says:

Boy, you said it’d be a tough week with no news, but I had no idea it would be *this* difficult.   Sigh… when’s the season start?

AndyF

16. Jordio-oh says:

I never realized having the most points ever in your position is only considered ‘above-average’.

He was barely off a point per game pace through a 23 season career as a DEFENCEMAN

Ray Bourque had an incredible career. Get it right.

17. AndyF says:

<never mind>

18. ZepFan2 says:

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

19. K-hab25 says:

Hey I agree with the quote, but I’m not the “animals are equal”, kinda guy. I don’t think outright cruelty should be allowed, like dog fighting or torturing for the fun of it, but I really don’t think there intent is to harm the animals. Intent is everything to me on this subject. If I kill someone in a car accident, it’s different than if I crucified them. I don’t sincerely believe those cowboys intent was to kill those horses, they were probably accidents. The same kind of accidents that kill people every day around the world, but nobody cares about that, there just human beings.

20. Mark C says:

Ray Bourque only had “an above average career”???

21. B says:

we already have an undersized set of defencemen

Montreal’s D is not as small as many folks think. Here is a comparison of D size between Cup champs Chicago, Montreal and the Flyers who knocked off Montreal in the Eastern final. Listed are the top 6 D on each team (listed in order of top 2010 playoff TOIs) followed by their height in inches and their weight in pounds. I have totalled and averaged the height and weight of those top 6 D for each of the teams:

Chicago:

Parent 75 198
    Total Height: 447 / 6 = 74.5
    Total Weight: 1242 / 6 = 207

Not Counted for Montreal (but still on the team):
    O’Byrne 77 234
    Spacek 72 210
    For next season, you can drop Bergeron from Montreal’s list and he was the smallest in both height and weight.

So, does Montreal really have an undersized set of D?

22. Eliisa says:

Definitely the one I would be putting up too.

23. K-hab25 says:

Thats not true and you know it. When ESPN had hockey, it also had a hockey highlight show nightly. Games were played on ESPN and ESPN2. They talked about hockey all the time because it benefited them to, ratings wise. As soon as they didn’t have a contract with the NHL, they pulled the highlight show and rarely, if ever, do they talk about it. They’ve convinced there huge following that hockey is a second rate sport. The same way that ESPN and FOX had made hockey cool in the US, in a nano second they made it a joke of a sport here. I don’t blame them, Bettman tried to act like they don’t need ESPN, but in the US, hockey most definitely needs ESPN advertising and support. People watch poker, bowling, pool, hot dog eating contest and spelling bees, just because they’re on ESPN. Like or not, to be successful in the US, hockey needs ESPN.

24. ZepFan2 says:

Rodeo, stampede, it’s all the same.

You don’t think those calf’s weren’t traumatized? Those shin pads are from dead animals, these are living, breathing creatures.

Btw, 6 horses died at the Calgary stampede this year all for the pleasure of Humans.

Just like Spain is starting to realize that bullfighting is cruel, here in Canada we just continue terrorizing animals for fun.

Believe me, I’m a total hypocrite for eating meat. I am cutting down on my meat intake (sticking to fish and chicken) but no way am I going the vegan route.

This quote says it all…

Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it. – Mark Twain

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

25. Bugs says:

Oh, hey, I’m sorry.

I’ll let you get back to the ton of responses you got. You know, from the super brain-powers like yourself.

(snicker)

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

26. adam76 says:

I agree.  I don’t understand the whole “Ray FINALLY gets the cup”.  Just because you have an above average career on the blueline does not mean you automatically “deserve” a cup in your last season.

Have to earn it.

27. Mr-T says:

I understand your “job” consists of sitting out front at the local beer store holding your hat upside down just to get enough money for your next bottle. As to the those three qualities of being a successful adult you are 0-3. You also lack any culture,ethics,self-respect and compassion. You are a insignificant,loathing and obnoxious individual who does not have the impetus to accomplish anything in life. Go home to your cardboard box and enjoy the cheap wine with your other low-life friends.  You are a burden on society.

Support Carey Price                 “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”                                                                                                              .

28. observer says:

Oh yes it is the exact same for any team or sport. Whoever put this poll up, aimed it specifically at the limited brainpower of those specific fans like greenhorn young fans like you. Do those questions really anger you that much? It is because it is not a poll it is saying to ‘those’ – that they are fools.

29. Bugs says:

I still have that Journal de Montreal picture somewhere of Souray clocking Cory Sarich few years back and the pic caught that beautiful moment that a friend and I saw live.

That beautiful, beautiful fraction of a second when Sarich was in la-la land just when getting clocked and made a funny face that was to die for. We were squealing with shocked laughter all night, and sure enough, there it was in the paper next day.

Great moment? Maybe not. But priceless?

Assuredly.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

30. StevieRay says:

vegetarian = poor hunter

31. Bugs says:

So why don’t you go ask THOSE fans your nonsensical interrogation point-missing “questions”?

Iggles have nothing to do with us. So no, we’re not like those fans at all.

See, our team is interesting and therein lies the difference.

…the iggles…you hear this guy?

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

32. g says:

Never really like it when a player goes to a team to win. I think I have more respect if he were to just lose with the same team.

Having said that I missed the Koivu image-shame on me-a must for me

Thanks!

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

33. K-hab25 says:

He’s just stating the truth. We don’t live in a Disney movie. The guy was complaining about rodeos, but not hockey, where they wear cow hide as pads. I personally am not for animal cruelty, but I don’t think calf roping and bull riding are cruel. Then again, I pee standing up.

34. mrhabby says:

can’t really blame bettman for wanting to expand the sport..some of the cities yes. hard to sell hockey when its 90degress evey day. that being said franchise value has increased generally speaking so for the owner (most) they are very happy.

35. adam76 says:

You folks really need to learn the definition of the term “Troll”.  You can’t toss out the troll word because someone has a different point of view.

36. g says:

I remember that one-good on ya.

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

37. mrhabby says:

Patrick Roy winking as an LA King player skates by him during the 93 cup final.

38. ZepFan2 says:

Wow…just wow.

Have you kicked a dog today?

No wonder puppy mills exist, with attitudes like that.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

39. derfab says:

I like the Messier, Saku and Mario choices.

Bourque was a slower, fatter, better paid version of Guy Lapointe, who I’d rather have on my wall anyday.

character is derfab destiny.

40. K-hab25 says:

Pointing out that someone hasn’t reached there prime yet, is not giving an excuse. Gotta love how Habs fans, sticking up for Habs players, against troll attacks, is giving “excuses.”As far as 23 being old, there is only 2 goalies younger than 23 and they’re 22. Price, unlike 95% of goaltenders, was good enough at 20 to be in the NHL. Most don’t even make it to the NHL till there 22 or the old man age of 23 and some even later. The reality is, there’s at least 60 goaltenders in the NHL at any given time and Price is among the 5 youngest at his position and has consistently been in the top half in production. That X-troll is fact, not an excuse. I think it’s safe to assume as he moves closer to his prime, 25/30, he’ll get even better.

41. Say Ash says:

So are lots of goalie pads – better play without them

I hear footballs aren’t great for animals either – better ban ‘em

42. derfab says:

Phil Esposito slippin’ on a rose and Bobby Clarke breaking Karlamov’s ankle would both be nice.

character is derfab destiny.

43. Bugs says:

No, you’re fabricating, Zeppy. Look again. That’s not what he said.

I think you know he said ANGLOPHONE posters would be saying he’s only getting another chance because he’s French. Which is true. Some anglophones would say that, same way they said it about Lapierre, Tendre Guidoune, and Bergie. He didn’t say it was right or wrong to do so in this “would-be” alternative universe he presented.

You’re fabricating in order to paint me as a sudden BS-talker in order to make yourself feel better on the matter.

If he had said “Price is only getting another chance cuz he’s anglophone” (like your first post erroneously accuses), I woulda been on him.

Fabrication, Zeppy. Shouldn’t rely on it if I were you.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

44. mike g says:

If you’re looking for recent moments, I’d search for these:

- Ray Bourque finally lifting the Cup

- Saku/Lemieux returning from Cancer

- Messier winning a Cup in the Big Apple (maybe even the NY front-page newspaper with Messier’s guarantee)

- The picture of Lafleur, Beliveau, and Richard with the Cup when they closed the Forum

…….and just for fun, maybe the picture of Zednik getting knocked the f’uk out by Bruins’ Kyle McLaren.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

45. observer says:

Soccer is Mexico’s favourite sport.

46. g says:

Thanks. But of course I had that on my list. My dog’s name is Dryden for gods sake.

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

47. observer says:

versus/then called outdoor life network OLN was owned by flyers owner snider when bettman took espn contract from them after it ended and gave it to snider whose channel then hardly had any providers even carrying them except his comcast.

48. K-hab25 says:

Laraque, is that you.

49. secretdragonfly says:

Dryden leaning on his stick in a pensive moment.

50. g says:

true but… I still can’t find those two specific images.

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

51. g says:

what was the second link-it didnt come through?

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

52. observer says:

It is nothing but a “niche sport” in THE several American cities that have successful teams. Including NY, Philly, wherever. High school sports get more coverage. It will never have anywhere near the amount of fans that baseball, pro and college football, pro and college baskets, and even other sports like track, golf, boxing, etc. Let alone NASCAR in the south. There should not be 30 MAJOR league hockey teams in North America. All they did was water down the product and pretend hockey is something it is not in the USA.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Google Image search, forever preventing us from ever working hard to find a picture on the internet ever again.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

54. notbigbird says:

But you said he didn’t have the size to play NHL defence. You’re changing your argument, which is okay as long as you acknowledge that you’re refining your point, which is that he’s too small to play in Montreal now because we have too many other small guys. If we had five hulks, would he be big enough?

55. g says:

nice clear image-thanks!!

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

56. Mark C says:

If Weber provides more value than the next player in line, he should be the one playing, reguardless of his size or Montreal’s Defensemen’s sizes.

The Blackhawks used Seabrook and Hjalmarsson both 6’3″, Keith and Sopel both 6’1″, and  Campbell and Hendry both 6′ to win the Cup. The players you mention all fall into the 6’1″ to 6′ range, I fail to see how adding Weber at some point down the down harms the make-up of Montreal’s D corps.

Sure, I’d like more size too, but not if it means playing some unskilled big galoot over Weber (assuming he becomes at least average defensively) because that’s a mistake.

57. g says:

yeah I love that one too

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

58. madcap_habsfan says:

It’s not his fault no one is interested in the sport in these cities no, but then why bother having teams there at all? He’s got one thing on his mind and thats money , although how much money do certain teams really make him, thats questionable.  i wish i had had the chance to experince the nhl when it was the original 6 teams and thats it…must have been pretty amazing

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Plante dons the mask.

That’s got to go there. The moment where Plante decided to set a new standard ofsanity for goaltenders and protect his face from pucks. Still can’t believe it took a decade for everyone else to figure out it was a good idea.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. observer says:

And Dick Duff is a Stanley Cup winner with the Habs.

61. g says:

oh yeah

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

62. ZepFan2 says:

Nope, he said if Price was a Francophone, and with his last season being bad, that posters here would be saying he’s only getting another chance because he’s a Francophone.

That’s pure BS. Roy had bad years and he still got the starts. I don’t remember anyone saying it was because he’s French.

You most likely condone what he said because you believe that BS as well.

It’s a bs excuse, this language crap. Yet you only pipe up when the roles are reversed.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

63. adam76 says:

Oh giggle giggle.

64. g says:

Thanks-that one wasn’t on my original list till just the other day. I guess it was a defining moment in hockey

Still looking for those other two images

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

65. observer says:

A good bunch of questions for sports fans exactly like those on this Habs blog.

With regards to the Eagles, please answer the following:

1- When someone criticizes the team, it feels like a personal insult

2- I am very interested in what others think about the team

3- When I talk about the team, I usually say “we” rather than “they”

4- The team’s successes are my successes

5- When someone praises the team, it feels like a personal compliment

6- If a story in the media criticized the team, I would feel embarrassed

66. TorontoHabsFan says:

I found another picture of Adam online:

cheers!

67. madcap_habsfan says:

Hockey doesn’t belong in California or Florida or Texas or anywhere were it doesn’t actually snow..

68. JD_ says:

Sounds like a good time.

Patrick Roy’s wink is a keeper.

69. madcap_habsfan says:

hopefully enjoying his 23rd birthday

70. Exit716 says:

Bob Duff of the Windsor Star played goal against Guy Lafleur and a bunch of ex-Habs in a charity game in Amherstburg in November 2003. I remember Richer took one shot on him and it hit his chest protector with an incredible thud..Man that had to have hurt.