Kaberle, birthday boy Price and bride Duff

So Tomas Kaberle is still a Toronto Maple Leaf. How many of you stayed up past midnight to see whether he’d be traded, or whether his no-trade clause would again kick in? (Where’s Mats Sundin in all of this?)

Evidently, Canadiens goalie Carey Price didn’t sparkle in a team calf-roping event in Chilliwack. Price turns 23 today, by the way.

And if Hilary Duff hadn’t married Mike Comrie, but instead wed the Windsor Star’s Bob Duff, or even NHL Hall of Famer Dick Duff, she’d be Hilary Duff-Duff.

Yes, it’s a slow morning at HIO…

1. SmartDog says:

If any hab is either smoking or partying a lot durint the season, it’s on topic.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

2. adam76 says:

Price is not a top ten goaltender and I feel he doesn’t posses the mental skills top rebound and be a winner in Montreal.

This is not trolling – this is what I feel.

3. K-hab25 says:

I do not think it means, what you think it means.

4. rkd says:

You need to have Teemu Selanne’s goal celebration as a Winnipeg Jet, when he broke the rookie goal scoring record.  That’s just gotta be there!

5. adam76 says:

The hypocrisy of your post is off the charts.  Unreal.

6. K-hab25 says:

“I guess theres a reason why a site with so much unique traffic only has a handful “regular” posters.” Ya , trolls like you, xtra, tony/observer, ect., have made it so that many “regulars” don’t bother posting anymore. You few instigators of ignorance, are the problem, not the people who have intelligent, differing view points.

7. sholi2000.com says:

You disagree, but why?  All you do is slam the kid. I want to know why you don’t support him?  This is why people call you a troll.  You don’t bring anything to debate.  You just sound like a whinny 4 year old.

Reasons I like Carey Price.

1.  He’s a Goalie

2.  He was drafted by the Canadiens.

3.  He has an amazing hockey story.  From his father learning to fly so he can go to peewee practice, and his astonishing 8 shut outs as a 17 year old Tri City goaltender.

4.  His lateral movement is above average, but needs control on distance spread.

5.  He reads the play very well.

6.  His rebound control cuts down on shots per game. You won;t see many 50 plus shots because after the first shot is stopped he usually freezes it.

7.  His puck control is one of the best int he NHL.  Not only can he shoot an 80mph slap shot, he can pass with his goalie stick and turn opposing line changes into two on ones.

8.  I’d like to see a better glove, and considering his age, I bet we do see a better glove.

9.  He’s a Canadien

10.  He’s pure Canadian!!!!!

Adam you bring nothing to the Price debate.

You get the point Adam?

They Call Me Shane

8. g says:

Your right

The company is called OTIP Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

9. K-hab25 says:

The next coming of what? You trolls always say that, but I don’t know what it is you think, we think he is the next of. He’s already a good goaltender, with some improvement in his consistency, he can be a top 10 goaltender. As I asked before and got zero answers, name me 15 teams with a clear cut better #1 than Price. Can you do it, or will you just make another troll comment. I’d bet on the latter.

10. adam76 says:

I, too, own a thesaurus.

11. Mr-T says:

I understand that you have been diagnosised with Encephalopathy. Sorry no treatment.

Support Carey Price              “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

12. ZepFan2 says:

Oh come on.

How do you think those, “man-eaters” became, man-eaters? They tasted blood and that was that. The fact you believe they did it because they “enjoyed it” is ludicrous.

All ask you this. If I were to go to granby zoo and jump in the tiger den or the gorilla exhibit, what do you think my chances are for surviving??

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

13. adam76 says:

I disagree with your assessment of Prices talent.  I will not be making the Summit, but believe me – everything I say on here I would say in public.

We heard it once.  That’s enough.  Most disagree with it, and majority rules.”

So not only do you have a limit of times you can post on a topic, but if the majority don’t agree – you should just “keep your mouth shut”.  On a public message board DESIGNED for debate and different opinions?

I guess there is a reason why a site with so much unique traffic only has a handful “regular” posters, all agreeing and getting along.

14. K-hab25 says:

That’s insulting to the donkey.

15. J.J. of Turku says:

BTW: Does Puff Daddy answer to the phone: “At the Puff Daddy, Puff speaking” ?

16. SLONCOLD says:

ya killing plants… u murder :-p

17. J.J. of Turku says:

Propably the best conga-line ever!

18. adam76 says:

So anyone who doesn’t feel Price is the next coming is a troll?  Interesting.

19. Aaron13 says:

If you tell them you’re a teacher, you’ll get a big discount. Then again with 75 tickets…I empathize with you.

20. K-hab25 says:

Troll – An internet slang for someone who posts inflammatory (Price sucks), extraneous (price pics), off topic messages (price drinks and smokes), with the intent to draw others into a desired emotional response. You sir, are a Troll, the A-troll to be exact!!

21. sholi2000.com says:

I would like to know why you go out of your way not to support one of the Canadiens most talented players.

I’d give anything to have a quarter of Carey’s talents.  Can you imagine playing hockey for the greatest franchise of all time, and the hardest position?

I just marvel every time I see him on the ice.  The kid has a very promising career in the NHL.

The reason people call you a troll is simple.  You go out of your way to encourage a fight online.  Why else would someone day after day voice the same old tired opinion.  We heard it once.  That’s enough.  Most disagree with it, and majority rules.

Looking forward to hearing you voice that opinion at the Summit in November, as we watch our beloved Canadiens.  Hope to see you there Adam.  Are you flying or driving?

They Call Me Shane

22. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, you know for a fact those horses loved what they were doing. You must be the Horse whisperer!

Btw, some of those horses were hauling chuckwagons. They must looooove doing that.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

23. Say Ash says:

Ah, I KNEW those pointy teeth in my mouth were there for something.

24. SLONCOLD says:

i eat 2 steaks before every hockey game to make up for it though :-)

25. K-hab25 says:

Troll – An internet slang for someone who posts inflammatory (Price sucks), extraneous (Price pics), or off topic messages (smokes and drinks), with the intent to draw others into a desired emotional response. You sir, are a Troll, the A-troll to be exact.

26. ZepFan2 says:

We’ve already established that you’re an idiot.

Now go find a dog and beat it, Hero.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

27. SLONCOLD says:

alright… can we just call you a j@ck@ss then? because the bash price thing is getting really old dude….

28. JIMVINNY says:

Your second sentence is correct.  That being said, you more than satisfy the definition of a troll.  The vast majority of your posts are designed primarily to incite rabid anti-price sentiment.  Hence, you are a troll.

29. Tharsis says:

you are correct, however there really is no confusion when it comes to you…is there? 😉

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

30. Say Ash says:

strictly out of respect for the animals, of course

31. JIMVINNY says:

Even that quote is inaccurate.  There are countless examples of animals in the wild performing acts of cruelty.  The two lions represented in “the ghost and the darkness” were based on two lions that killed not for the sake of eating, but because they enjoyed it.

I think it’s one of those situations where once an animal (humans included) learns to be cruel, it’s not easily un-learned.  We as humans have the avenues to teach both sides of the equation, but for wild animals, while it may be more difficult for them to learn cruelty, they sure aren’t going to unlearn it too easily.

32. adam76 says:

You folks really need to learn the definition of the term “Troll”.  You can’t toss out the troll word because someone has a different point of view.

33. K-hab25 says:

Hey!!! Keep your facts out of this buddy!! :-)

34. g says:

People… Focus. I need two specific pictures

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

35. TorontoHabsFan says:

thank you, thank you very much! You’re too kind!

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Insurance shopping is madness at times, since I now live in Ontario officially I have to switch to their insurance O I went looking for quotes and I got…

4400$ a year with RBC Insurance

About 3800$ with All State

TD? 2500$! Suffice to say, I went with TD.

I am pretty sure when I was getting my quotes from the first two companies I didn’t mention I was in to stock car racing and had 75 traffic violations.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. SLONCOLD says:

ya cause fish and chickens deserve to die

38. SLONCOLD says:

pads are all synthetic now :-(

39. JIMVINNY says:

All this whining about Horses dying at the Stampede is crap.  I was there watching as one of the outrider horses came up lame and had to be put down.  These are thoroughbred race horses we’re taking about, an animal that lives to run.  Well, it got hurt, doing what it loves to do.  It was put down for good reason, because a horse like that will NOT stay off of it’s leg long enough to heal properly.

So spare them your sympathy.  If only we could all die doing something we live for.

40. K-hab25 says:

Well you’re a good guy Zep, but I think we’ll agree to disagree. Animals die everyday in the wild, just like captivity. Again I don’t fret much, unless the intent was cruel. Human beings live in inhumane conditions all over the world and to be honest I don’t think about it alot. So I definitely do not spend time thinking about animals in a similar situation. More power to you if you want to be an activist, thats your right. I just don’t feel that strongly about it.

41. adam76 says:

I did say ABOVE:)

42. ZepFan2 says:

My suggestion, learn how to read.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

43. G-Man says:

1. when I was a kid, yes. Now, insult away (17 yrs brings humility)

2. Depends on the person giving their opinion.

3.  I say “they.” I am a fan, not a part of the team.

4. I feel good when they win, but no, the team’s success isn’t mine. I enjoy their success.

5. No embarrassment. It’s not about me. However, when Houle was hired with Tremblay, I was embarrassed for them as I knew how it would turn out.

44. Mark C says:

Didn’t need him to win? Colorado won the 2000-01 Cup in 7 games, they sure did need him.

45. adam76 says:

I saw her last week on CTV newsnet.  See appears to be the fill in lady for summer vacations.

46. Mark C says:

I didn’t post anything about him “deserve(ing) a cup”. Was just questioning how you could call the career of the NHL’s 11th highest scorer merely “above average.”

47. adam76 says:

Are you a vegetarian?

48. jabber39 says:

She did…with Hillary Duff-Duff

Knowing is Half the Battle…

49. ZepFan2 says:

What would you know about making friends?

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

50. StevieRay says:

since it’s a real slow news day … Did Brian Burke’s wife ever get her TV show in Toronto. Wasn’t that the kicker to whether he’s sign on as GM with Toronto.

So if she did … what’s she on .. easy now boys !!

51. jabber39 says:

I’d do Hillary Duff-Duff

Knowing is Half the Battle…

52. SLONCOLD says:

oh i know the nhl needs espn. but lets face it some markets r a pretty tough sell regardless if you’re with espn

53. adam76 says:

You don’t make friends with salad.

54. Mark C says:

It’s like saying Bill Gates has above average wealth.

55. adam76 says:

Even if he had Orr like numbers, he doesn’t “deserve” a cup.

56. derfab says:

Great career on a losing team. Like Roy, low class finish on a team that didn’t need him to win.

character is derfab destiny.

57. ZepFan2 says:

nobody cares about that, there just human beings…

Right, because I never see anything about people being killed or maimed in an accident on the news.

For me, the bottom line is the fact that Humans can speak up for themselves. Animals, not so much. It kills me when I hear that Quebec has the most puppy mills in North America.

We, have to speak for them. imho

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

58. AndyF says:

Boy, you said it’d be a tough week with no news, but I had no idea it would be *this* difficult.   Sigh… when’s the season start?

AndyF

59. Jordio-oh says:

I never realized having the most points ever in your position is only considered ‘above-average’.

He was barely off a point per game pace through a 23 season career as a DEFENCEMAN

Ray Bourque had an incredible career. Get it right.

60. AndyF says:

<never mind>

61. ZepFan2 says:

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

62. K-hab25 says:

Hey I agree with the quote, but I’m not the “animals are equal”, kinda guy. I don’t think outright cruelty should be allowed, like dog fighting or torturing for the fun of it, but I really don’t think there intent is to harm the animals. Intent is everything to me on this subject. If I kill someone in a car accident, it’s different than if I crucified them. I don’t sincerely believe those cowboys intent was to kill those horses, they were probably accidents. The same kind of accidents that kill people every day around the world, but nobody cares about that, there just human beings.

63. Mark C says:

Ray Bourque only had “an above average career”???

64. B says:

we already have an undersized set of defencemen

Montreal’s D is not as small as many folks think. Here is a comparison of D size between Cup champs Chicago, Montreal and the Flyers who knocked off Montreal in the Eastern final. Listed are the top 6 D on each team (listed in order of top 2010 playoff TOIs) followed by their height in inches and their weight in pounds. I have totalled and averaged the height and weight of those top 6 D for each of the teams:

Chicago:

Parent 75 198
    Total Height: 447 / 6 = 74.5
    Total Weight: 1242 / 6 = 207

Not Counted for Montreal (but still on the team):
    O’Byrne 77 234
    Spacek 72 210
    For next season, you can drop Bergeron from Montreal’s list and he was the smallest in both height and weight.

So, does Montreal really have an undersized set of D?

65. Eliisa says:

Definitely the one I would be putting up too.

66. K-hab25 says:

Thats not true and you know it. When ESPN had hockey, it also had a hockey highlight show nightly. Games were played on ESPN and ESPN2. They talked about hockey all the time because it benefited them to, ratings wise. As soon as they didn’t have a contract with the NHL, they pulled the highlight show and rarely, if ever, do they talk about it. They’ve convinced there huge following that hockey is a second rate sport. The same way that ESPN and FOX had made hockey cool in the US, in a nano second they made it a joke of a sport here. I don’t blame them, Bettman tried to act like they don’t need ESPN, but in the US, hockey most definitely needs ESPN advertising and support. People watch poker, bowling, pool, hot dog eating contest and spelling bees, just because they’re on ESPN. Like or not, to be successful in the US, hockey needs ESPN.

67. ZepFan2 says:

Rodeo, stampede, it’s all the same.

You don’t think those calf’s weren’t traumatized? Those shin pads are from dead animals, these are living, breathing creatures.

Btw, 6 horses died at the Calgary stampede this year all for the pleasure of Humans.

Just like Spain is starting to realize that bullfighting is cruel, here in Canada we just continue terrorizing animals for fun.

Believe me, I’m a total hypocrite for eating meat. I am cutting down on my meat intake (sticking to fish and chicken) but no way am I going the vegan route.

This quote says it all…

Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it. – Mark Twain

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

68. Bugs says:

Oh, hey, I’m sorry.

I’ll let you get back to the ton of responses you got. You know, from the super brain-powers like yourself.

(snicker)

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

69. adam76 says:

I agree.  I don’t understand the whole “Ray FINALLY gets the cup”.  Just because you have an above average career on the blueline does not mean you automatically “deserve” a cup in your last season.

Have to earn it.

70. Mr-T says:

I understand your “job” consists of sitting out front at the local beer store holding your hat upside down just to get enough money for your next bottle. As to the those three qualities of being a successful adult you are 0-3. You also lack any culture,ethics,self-respect and compassion. You are a insignificant,loathing and obnoxious individual who does not have the impetus to accomplish anything in life. Go home to your cardboard box and enjoy the cheap wine with your other low-life friends.  You are a burden on society.

Support Carey Price                 “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”                                                                                                              .

71. observer says:

Oh yes it is the exact same for any team or sport. Whoever put this poll up, aimed it specifically at the limited brainpower of those specific fans like greenhorn young fans like you. Do those questions really anger you that much? It is because it is not a poll it is saying to ‘those’ – that they are fools.

72. Bugs says:

I still have that Journal de Montreal picture somewhere of Souray clocking Cory Sarich few years back and the pic caught that beautiful moment that a friend and I saw live.

That beautiful, beautiful fraction of a second when Sarich was in la-la land just when getting clocked and made a funny face that was to die for. We were squealing with shocked laughter all night, and sure enough, there it was in the paper next day.

Great moment? Maybe not. But priceless?

Assuredly.