Juniors: More than just Habs’ Leblanc

The Montreal Juniors begin their preseason campaign tonight in Greenfield Park, on Montreal’s South Shore, and the team is shining its spotlight on much more than just gilt-edged Canadiens prospect Louis Leblanc.

• The Gazette’s Red Fisher: Time to do away with the shootout.

• Robert Lefebvre looks back today at the Canadiens’ Big Three on defence. And he’s not talking Hamrlik, Spacek and Markov.

Ten reasons to get excited about the Habs this season, courtesy The Bleacher Report.

• More on the testing of NHL rules. And still a little more here.

Meet Patrice Brisebois tonight in Boisbriand. The link details Breezer’s appearance schedule next week in and around Montreal.

• Marty (Goal-A-Game) Barry, a Canadien for a brief spell, died on this day in 1969. The Hall of Famer’s story, here at Legends of Hockey, is worth your time. See below for a little more.

Marty Barry, courtesy of our friends at the Society for International Hockey Research:

1. joeybarrie says:

Stop wasting time showing me how right you are, and head over to VIP in Chinatown and get me some Cantonese Chow Mein…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

2. Bugs says:

No, this time, Bugs is right.

It’s Joey who accidentally added OT losses to shootouts in his ten-game differential between the New NHL and yesteryear’s one-point games.

I maintain that the number of shootout occurences today equal the numer of ties of yesteryear.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

3. joeybarrie says:

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. Bugs says:

Thing is, we can fix ties in hockey with the shootout because breakaways DO occur in the game.

Can’t fix’em in soccer. A player NEVER has the ball sitting immobile on the dot for him with 10 seconds to think about it.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

5. habrez says:

I believe what people were saying is that if the game ended after 4 on 4 hockey (no shootout) we would have missed the playoffs. I personally hate these ‘if’ scenarios. If we had drafted Getzlaf instead of AK and so on. I think they might be right about this additional point awarded after the shootouts. I believe the Habs went 7-4 in shootouts last year meaning we received an additional 7 points if the shootout didn’t exist. The rangers went 3-4 meaning they only received an additional 3 points. So if you subtract these two the Rangers would end the season with more points. But this is the easy analysis. The only way to really know who would make the playoffs is a lot more analysis than I have time for. But I’m sure someone on here could figure it out.

I like the shootout. I like 4 on 4 after regulation time. I like hockey. Don’t change anything.

6. derfab says:

Shootouts are fun but ultimately embarassing. Victories hollow. And the kids are usually asleep already. Get rid of it.

character is derfab destiny.

7. HabFanSince72 says:

There are penalties during  regulation time in a   soccer game.

8. Chorske says:

Ties are so… soccer. ;)

I am all for overtime wins, 3 on 3. If not that, then 5 man shootouts.

9. derfab says:

Talent wise, Larry would admit he was third to those two. Both of them could also fight and do a little more with the puck. Larry had no shot from the point and lost his mean streak at age 30.

character is derfab destiny.

10. derfab says:

The delay on signing Price is a real problem that is only going to get messier and more difficult to solve with time. Booner and Stubbie et.al., despite recent attempts to backtrack, even argued as much weeks ago after the Halak trade. As is, even if Price does sign now with hugs and kisses all around, he will be trashed and booed on every weak goal until he steals 5 or 6 games. With all that’s happened, I really don’t see the kid holding a job here to the end of his next contract.

character is derfab destiny.

11. Pucker Up says:

You could take away a point from each team for a tie game. That would give each team a 2-point swing in the standings as an incentive to go for the win.

12. Bugs says:

We didn’t win or lose 20-25 games in a shootout. We won or lost them in shootout AND overtime. You’re including overtime losses in your one-point stat.

Back in the days of ties, you won in overtime, you got the win and the other team got nuthin. that extra “ten” is precisely that difference.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

13. Malreg says:

And watch as teams just dump the puck back and forth and play with zero aggression the final 5 mintues of every single tie game?

No thanks.  4 on 4 for 5 minutes, 3 on 3 for 5 minutes, then shootout.  It’ll almost never get to shootout.

14. Storm Man says:

I think he is Gills Duceppe with some of his posts on here.

15. K-hab25 says:

LMAO!! He is that predictable, isn’t he.

16. Pucker Up says:

Robinson, Savard, Lapointe and Gainey, with Jarvis to win the draw. You wouldn’t even have to ice a goalie.

17. habstrinifan says:

Totally agree!

18. K-hab25 says:

No way!! Can’t be possible!! Has someone told him yet? Ohh nevermind, he wouldn’t believe it anyway.

19. TommyB says:

Some thoughts on Robert L’s “BIG 3″ story.  It would be almost impossible for me to suggest that any one or other was the “best” of that big three on defence.  The talent level, and competitiveness of each of them, surpasses any Habs defenceman that I have seen since their time.  I was still very young when Doug Harvey was patrolling the blueline, and he was near the end of his career as well, so for me to compare these guys to him would be impossible.  But there has never been a “BIG ONE”, never mind three, since the days of Robinson/Savard/Lapointe, that can compare.  No question that these three players played major roles in the Cup wins of the 70’s.

If I had to choose a favorite, not necessarly the best of the three, but the one I admired the most…that would have to be the Big Bird.  Robinson controlled the game when he was on the ice, and he could do it all.  He could deliver crushing bodychecks (all perfectly legal), he could carry the puck deep and get something done with it, he could clutch and hold with the best of them (all part of the game back then), and he could kick the living shit out of anyone who dared him to drop the gloves.  If you were not pulling your weight, one glance from Larry on the bench would most likely scare the crap out of anyone.  He made others better just by his presence.  Opposing coaches used to instruct their players “don’t wake up the Big Guy”.  If you got Robinson’s attention early in a game, you were done like dinner.

You could say almost the same things with Savard and Lapointe, but Robinson was the best, in my mind.  Imagine if you threw out all three of them at the same time…Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, and pick two forwards.  The opposition would never touch the puck.   And the NHL would have to think up some kind of rule to implement to counter the BIG THREE!

20. observer says:

agree the system’s not perfect. It WOULD be if the regulation wins were worth 3 points. But then, that would screw up stat history —————- another load of bull that bettman said. history? by adding an extra point in some games and not all games bettman already destroyed stats history which was destroyed years ago as once the league played a 44 game season or rocket scored 50 in a 50 game season or now its an 82 game season, plus now in a watered down 30 team league, etc., etc. another load of bull that the media let fly by them.

21. GrimJim says:

No, thank you. Ties suck. Play until someone wins. It’s one thing baseball does right.

22. db says:

and this is why i hardly post… thanks ;)

23. observer says:

Last year out of 82 games the Habs won just 24 in regulation time. This shows you another example of Bettman’s total ignorance of sports.

24. observer says:

If a team got 3 points for a regulation win which is gaining 3 points on the team you beat that night as well as possibly any other team playing or not playing that day, there would be less tie games after 60 minutes. Too many teams if the game is tied late are glad to let it go to overtime and at worst be guaranteed of a point even if they lose. Plus it just is not fair that a win now under Bettman’s hockey genius is either worth one point OR 2 points better than the team who lost to you. That is the problem. Even European soccer now gives 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie.

25. TomNickle says:

24 is a bit early for Spiller unless 19 or 20 runningbacks went before him….just my two cents.

I like Floyd and Campbell though.  Legadu could score more though and if Alex Smith was still available I would’ve gone that route instead, good picks though.

26. Storm Man says:

LOL is Higgins with a team? I don’t have a favorite player I have a favorite team :)

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Back to the old system.

No shootout.

Tie means a point for each team.

28. db says:

I wouldn’t say no to a trade for Bieksa… and for once the Canadiens would be dealing from a position of strength.  I almost want to see a deal happen, just to see what PG does in said position.

29. HabFanSince72 says:

Bugs is wrong???

Whadoyouknow?

30. TomNickle says:

Keep scrolling down to see both scenarios.

31. Mr-T says:

How poetic. You have outdone yourself this time.

32. TomNickle says:

Please, somebody tell me where a lot of our fans came up with the notion that points for overtime or shootout losses got us into the playoffs last year.  THEY DID NOT!  We would have placed in the exact same seed as we did with the point for the overtime or shootout loss.  In fact, we would have tied for 7th place but finished 8th due to Boston having a better winning percentage.

The last time we missed the playoffs, it was because overtime or shootout loss points that the Islanders had accumulated got them in.

Edmonton made it to the Cup Finals because of it.

It’s time for the NHL to wake up and take the point away, too many teams sit back to make it to the extra period, ours being one of them, and it pisses me off.

33. joeybarrie says:

Actually in 25 years prior to the OT rule the Habs only had 1 season with more than 15 games tied. The last 4 seasons were between 20-25……. On average 10 or more games have gone into overtime….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

34. Storm Man says:

I went Spiller then Floyd :) go chargers, QB Campbell and was lucky to grab Foster.

35. db says:

Agreed, this isn’t the olympics.. 2nd place gets nothing. No points.  Would it affect which bubble teams make it into the playoffs??

I’m wondering if there’s someone has calculated what the final standings would have looked like if

A) at the end of the season all the OT/S-O losers do not get a point.

B) at the end of OT, both teams only get 1 point.

Is there anywhere I can find those kind of results for the last couple of seasons?

36. mike g says:

I’ll make sure to include Chris Higgins going your way…

I know he’s secretly your favorite player.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

37. mike g says:

Here’s my overtime format…

If the game is tied after the 3rd period, each captain is called to center ice. There is a best of 3 faceoff, and the 1st captain to win 2 faceoffs gets to decide between this:

a- the losing team must delegate one player to spend a night with Gary Bettman at a male strip club.

b- the losing team has to take a bus to their next destination istead of an airplane.

In the end, the winning team gets 2 points, and the losers get none.

Trust me, there wouldn’t be too many shootouts next year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

38. Bugs says:

I meant as it is, breakaway, forward vs goalie.

My bad.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

39. Bugs says:

I got no problem with loser points. They got us into the playoffs last year; so I wouldn’t feel right raggin against’em.

I agree the system’s not perfect. It WOULD be if the regulation wins were worth 3 points. But then, that would screw up stat history.

And going back to keeping ties as it was before would work too.

So it’s either ties or shootouts.

Personally, I prefer shootouts.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree 100%.

You blow the SO, no points for you.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. TomNickle says:

Wow, my math isn’t very good today.

On second thought, since your second round pick would be #54 and not #44 I would look at Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd round and Carson Palmer in the 3rd round at #84.

42. TomNickle says:

If it’s a PPR league and I had your 24th overall pick I would target Jamaal Charles and then Chad Ochocinco with the 44th, then Jay Culter with the 74th and maybe Justin Forsett or Tim Hightower with the #104 pick.

43. habaddict_andy says:

1 on 1, LOL.  Wouldn’t that be funny…  I do agree, stick with the shootout and the game is done.

44. Storm Man says:

Mike you know better then to say who your going to pick before a draft. Now everyone knows what 2 players you want and will take them :) don’t worry if I draft Richards I will trade him to you for 3 of your players :)

45. Mr-T says:

1st- You answered your own question. 2nd- If you change it to three points then you have to make a tie two points otherwise the point system valuation or the balance created by it becomes inequitable. If you do not do this then it would give the best teams an unfair advantage. However the change in both a win and a tie would not alter the statistical percentage between the teams.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

46. mike g says:

Never go full retard Tom…

N as long as I have my bag of skittles with me, I’m 90% normal. Once the bag is finished, ouff stay away from me..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

47. avatar_58 says:

As much as I hate the concept of the shootout, I love watching them. So much pressure. Thing is – who cares? it’s a point difference. You can still go home and say “Well they at least got a point!”  – what kind of talk is that? I sincerly hope the players don’t feel that way too.

Loser points need to go bye bye. I want a shootout loss to mean just that – a loss. you get nada. Nothing. Sorry. I bet more games would end in regulation or OT if it meant going home with NO points because your goalie sucks in shootouts.

48. mike g says:

Cuz I’m Mike G….

I also never have to go through security checks at airports, and often have dinner with the Molson’s to discuss this teams direction.

lol, ah HIO is great when the workday is really boring…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

49. avatar_58 says:

So what is Obyrne, Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Pouliot up to hmm? Funny how the spotlight ALWAYS seems to be on Price. How about Markov, is he working out 24/7? I mean good god he needs to carry this team, since they seem so damned reliant on him.

50. Storm Man says:

I can’t win everything :) I placed 6th last year. This year my Global Killers team should take the dough.

51. Bugs says:

Red Fisher seems to be losing it. Unless I seriously misunderstood his post, the reason he gives to say the shootout sucks is because too many games HEAD to the shootout.

Thing is: I bet if we look back in time, we’ll notice there were same amount of TIES as there are shootouts now.

Isn’t that weird? Isn’t that…curious?

So the bottomline for shootout is, and will always be: whaddoo you want? You want a tie-game, everyone go home with only an anti-climax to savor?

Or a breakaway barrage for dessert?

Because 5 on 5, 4 on 4, or 3 on 3, what if they don’t score? We’ve seen it happen. What if they don’t score?? These guys have planes to catch. TV networks have other programs to air. The game has to END at some point. So what if they don’t score? Right back where we started, tie game.

Cut the middle men; 1 on 1. Boom. Then, they score. Straight chances, side to side, boom, boom, boom. Start the car, close the lights, we’re outta here.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

52. TomNickle says:

Must be the Simple Jack pity bye.

Espn feels bad for Mike because of his mental shortcomings and gave him a pass.

53. TomNickle says:

That’s great.

Why didn’t you win?

Haha.

54. Storm Man says:

How do you have a bye into the playoffs?

55. Bob Dobbs says:

The basic premise of the original post I was replying to has to do with
    the possibility that the fans would drive Price out of town, and I was
    replying to this premise. And as for being a ridiculous premise, I don’t
    see how it’s ridiculous to think that a hockey player would choose to
    play elsewhere than where the fans virulently hate his guts. Seems like pretty elementary logic to me.

56. Storm Man says:

It is a very tough format. Just think last year a girl 22 years of age walked away with the 9k :)

57. keepthefaith says:

Sorry Ed.  The whole restricted free agency  set up is not for the fans.  Why do you think Price should make a hurried decision on his future just so the fans will be happy?  It is his life, his decison.  I think it is pathetic all the heat the kid is taking over not signing.

58. WarHero says:

Agreed! That list was a complete joke.

————————————————————————

59. _Habsoloutly_ says:

It’s not like it’s Carey’s first season for the habs.  I’m sure he’s use to Montreal by now.

60. PrimeTime says:

Acutually…yes he is.
    ………………………..

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

61. habaddict_andy says:

Have anyone watched Preview – Cammy at Canadiens.com?  First clip is title “October 24 vs. NYR” but it’s actually November 24 vs. Blue jackets.

62. Storm Man says:

I’m suggesting that talking about the Habs brings great family value. I know when I come to Montreal and go watch games live with my Grandfather and father I hear them talk about the Habs it is great value to have in a family and to share the passion about a team we all care about.

63. mike g says:

I already did…

I have a bye for the regular season, staright into the PLAYOFFS?! , PLAYOFFS?!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

64. Clay4bc says:

To extend on your point a little…it would also mean that the puck would have to travel farther to clear the (defensive) zone, and a shorter distance to get into the (offensive) zone – thus having the effect of reducing off-sides, with a by-product of less whistles and more scoring opportunities.

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell –