Junior team cuts Gallagher

Brendan Gallagher, the Canadiens’ fifth-round draft choice in June, was among nine players cut from Canada’s national junior team and he will rejoin the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League. Gallagher has scored 25 goals and added 18 assists in 31 games with the Giants this season.

Louis Leblanc, the Habs’ first-round choice in 2009, is still in camp,  as is Michaël Bournival, acquired by the Canadiens in the deal that sent Ryan O’Byrne to Colorado.

1. J Haul says:

We’re two wild and crazy defence…

2. J Haul says:

haha… yeah, what a great interview. Funny guy.

3. J Haul says:

He didn’t really say that, did he?

4. Storm Man says:

I still don’t understand all this Iginla talk of him coming to Montreal, Maybe on xbox 360 the deal can be made but this is real life. Does anyone here think that Iginla would want to come to Montreal?. I would bet my house he never does play here, or maybe it is the fact I know something on the matter. I was thinking I would need to hit the gym after christmas but im having a great AB workout each day hearing let’s trade for Iginla. HIO fitness centre open 24 hours a day.

PK is obviously bringing Carey over to the dark side.

6. Bugs says:

Whole Soobie thing is a definitely black mark on the League imo.

Oh, wait, I didn’t mean…aw, hell!

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

7. SmartDog says:

Thanks.  And thanks to Serious(Robert) below you.

You guys know the player better than me and what you suggest makes sense.  I was just grumbling really. :)

——-

8. SmartDog says:

Because Duchene and Statsny are doing things the white way.

I swear I don’t understand this treatment of PK and though I don’t think there’s blatant racism in any of how his actions have been reported, there is an undercurrent of it in some of the decision making behind it.  Sadly.

——-

9. SeriousFan09 says:

What NJ needed was a HOF defencemen or two so they could have a blue line, they went for the flashy sniper who doesn’t work in their system at all, they had a star scoring forward in Parise who’s a far superior two-way player compared Kovalchuk and great “Big Game” credentials unlike Kovy 2.

Iginla is addressing the Canadiens need for a power forward who can’t be moved unless he wants to be, with serious scoring hands. I said the price would have to be right, too much and it is a bad deal but Iginla I think would fit the room with the veterans on hand, he’s very much a team player and a class act. I still hold out hope PG could take Sutter for some magic beans on an Iggy deal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. RJB says:

Not too rough, but Pen’s are making filthy earn their (current) lead full value. It’s been back and forth.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

11. joeybarrie says:

Are they smashing each other up? I dont want to be given a game, but would be happy with a slower and sore Philthy tomorrow….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

I heard the same thing said when New Jersey got Kovalchuck last play-offs.

Look at what NJ gave up and look at where they are now.

I love Iginla. He was my favourite hockey player 6 years ago. Habs would have to give up too much to get him, so in my opinion getting him would derail the Habs off of the Contender Track.

13. Propwash says:

I agree, its a good game to watch

14. LA Loyalist says:

Are you saying that a small player might come up short?

15. LA Loyalist says:

Calgary would have to sell it to their fans as a deal for the future. Ergo draft picks and prospects.

We would have to be sure it put us over the top, as you say, a 2 year window without slamming said window on our fingers.

I would do it also. With the parity in the NHL right now with momentum (like last year) we can go far and it plugs a huge hole for us and would show that management is committed to winning now and not blowing smoke.

Unfortunately I would feel a whole lot better about taking that risk, as would everyone, if Markov were healthy to quarterback us.

16. avatar_58 says:

Huh? Who said the triple low five isn’t allowed?

17. RJB says:

I don’t like either of them, but Pens and filthy game going on right now is pretty good!

– Bilbo Baggins

18. Omit says:

Do you mean that he reminds you of Mike Bossy?

19. Bugs says:

When the show changes its name to “The Sid, Ovie and JR is Right”.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

20. Bugs says:

No one’s said anything about the Soobie low-five, did they?

When Duchesne and Stastny start acting like they’re better than Mike Richards and get all in his face about it or have veteran members of their club mention to their coach that their rookie attitude rubs them the wrong way, then you can compare them to Soobie’s knocks, but his low-five has nothing to do with it.

Unless I missed something?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

21. SeriousFan09 says:

RW Alex Avtsin breaks his 7-game points drought for his 4th goal of the season, Hamilton tied with Houston Aeros 1-1 in the 2nd, Engqvist and Frederic St Denis with the assists.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. larisalapointe says:

PIT – 1    PHI-1    2nd on RDS

Everybody is on edge.

23. Number31 says:

You mean someone took Mitch Melnick’s dream and thought it was a viable rumour…?

24. DearyLeary says:

Can’t wait to see him continue to develop, he’s still really young, and has been doing really well in the AHL.  That kind of explosive power translates well to the style of game we hope to see from Patches, namely a power forward who can pot some goals.

25. DearyLeary says:

Bournival was very much a dark horse going into the selection.  Seeing him make the team would be a wonderful surprise.

26. Hockey Socks says:

Nice to see Bournival making a case for himself. Even if he doesn’t make the team, I’d be very happy if he made it a difficult choice for Team Canada staff to cut him.

27. christophor says:

you’re probably right.

i mean, the guy who said it on rds had a paper bag on his head.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Final Scrimmage for Team Canada WJC Selection, versus CIS Selects (Canadian University Hockey, buoyed by Goalies from WJC Camp)

From Bob Mackenzie’s Twitter: Cody Eakin scores after nice rush by Bournival. 2-0 Team Canada

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

29. newbrunswick troy says:

Hey back to Mac Pac,s return to the nhl…..anybody who can jump 5ft straight up disserves a roster spot in my books……check it out  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhEzHdmJLg

30. Laramy87 says:

Has anyone seen the Duchene-Statsny bang bang dance after they win, so why is that okay and TSN used it as motivation for thier top 10 tonight. Then the Subban-Price 3 low five when they win is not okay because Subban is a rookie. Duchence is younger than Subban and only has been in the league for a year.

I jsut dont get it, that and all the nonesene about the rookies. Like Subban/Richards and the Omark goal… its so retarded.