Junior team cuts Gallagher

Brendan Gallagher, the Canadiens’ fifth-round draft choice in June, was among nine players cut from Canada’s national junior team and he will rejoin the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League. Gallagher has scored 25 goals and added 18 assists in 31 games with the Giants this season.

Louis Leblanc, the Habs’ first-round choice in 2009, is still in camp,  as is Michaël Bournival, acquired by the Canadiens in the deal that sent Ryan O’Byrne to Colorado.

1. newbrunswick troy says:

Oh Gallagher is really small???? Thats great in keeping with this clubs fantasy of having 21 boys signed to the roster all at an average of 5ft-8  169lbs….i,m all for the small guy playing,but in this nhl it only works when that small guy (who normaly has very soft hands) plays on a line with a bunch of strong tough guys tallented enough to create space for the smurf!!!!  Like Briere in Philli….or St.Loius in Tampa

2. CanadienBoy says:

Playing junior over university put his development in fast forward

3. _Habsoloutly_ says:

“and his contract is one of the biggest albatrosses in the NHL.”

ya, we certainly wouldn’t want a contract like that on our team.  How is it you say that about Vinny yet you defend Gomez?

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Two wrist surgeries, a shoulder surgery, a broken wrist and a knee operation all in the last 4 years. I’d say he’s becoming a bit fragile myself and his contract is one of the biggest albatrosses in the NHL.

No thanks on a player who only lived up to his billing for a 2-year period.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

5. newbrunswick troy says:

THE LAST YEAR YEAR OR SO WE NEVER HEARD A THING FROM spacek>>>>but the guy is freaking hilarious with that  european mumble , and he has a real goofy sense of humor…..I think he should be the team spokesman!!!!!

6. Da Hema says:

Don’t forget his 401Ks in the US!

I believe Rolston will be able to put food on the table for his family, but he will struggle to pay the bills like the rest of us…

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

7. thorandresson says:

Listening to McGuire on Melnick’s show, he really likes LeBlanc, thinks he’s improved a lot over the last year

Brian Rolston will do just fine.

- 17 years in the NHL pension plan

- won a Cup back in ’95

- career earnings of $40M (at the end of next year)

- will make $8M if he has to finish out this year and next in Albany.  (Mogilny did it, so Rolston can, too).

9. RJB says:

Nah, were good

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

10. samTHEman says:

Canadiens need Vincent Lecavalier

11. kempie says:

Can somebody explain exactly what happened in the Toronto game? I was watching on a small TV from far away in a bowling alley (mandatory birthday party) and I didn’t see the whole episode. From what I did see it looked like MacArthur, for some truculent reason, dropped his sh1t behind the Leaf net and just skated full blast to Spacek at the blueline so he could punch him in the head. Is this what happened and what did I miss? Then I find out that Spotcheck is out with an upper body issue, I assume from the incident. I also checked the game blog when I got home and saw that Boone didn’t mention it. I wish there was a Youtube link. Anyway, was this as ridiculous as it looked on the quick replay I saw?

12. Danno says:

The Space Cake Comedy Show

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

13. Chuck says:

As of now I won’t be at any of the games, but will be taking in the Canada/Russia game on the 26th from Canada House. Should be a blast!

Centre Hice: Sainte Flanelle, illustrated history: 1935-36

Think before you post. The internet is forever, and that’s a awfully long time to look like a knob.

14. Propwash says:

Lol, nothing could ever save that train wreck though.

15. avatar_58 says:

lol at Spacek’s comments on TSN “next time I will just run away”

We would have two problems if we pick up Rolston.  He has two years left on his contract plus we would be on the hook for the coin next year as he signed his contract as a +35 player.  If he can’t make the team next year, we would be on the hook for $3M (including Laraque’s buyout) for two guys who aren’t on the team.

I seriously doubt he can play top 6 minutes these days even though he is a great point man on the PP. As well, just because a guy has won a Cup doesn’t mean that’s a factor right now.  There are players who won Cups 7 years ago but that’s a long time ago.  He won his in ’95 and only was in 6 games.  Rolston has stumbled big time in his last few post season efforts.

The Habs should pass on this guy.  MaxPac deserves at least a 20 game shot at trying to make a difference on the team.

17. Danno says:

You’re right. He’s a pretty funny guy!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

18. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Good article by Justin Bourne on bringing in rookies. Well, I say it’s good, because it lines up with arguments that I already support. I guess if you disagree with him, then it’s terrible.

As a third option, if this article actually manages to change your opinion, then you are probably part of a very small percentage of internet users.

19. habsruleworld says:

Bournival will get a hat trick tonight, and make the team also!

man that would be great, to watch a couple of Hab hopefulls on the WJ squad!

20. habsruleworld says:

Leblanc a gagné son poste “as per RDS”

Excellent news!!

21. J_P says:

Hopefully he does because we really need him.  Ive been hard on the guy, and would still prefer it if there was a way to get rid of him (so many more things that can be done with $7.3 million of cap space), but if he was playing to the level I know he can, I wouldn’t complain anymore.  My expectations aren’t even that high.  I would be happy with a 65-70 pt pace which is still low for someone making $8 million this year.

Look what it did for Komisarek’s career. Wait a minute!!

23. geo_habsgo says:

I like that idea a lot actually. I think it would do wonders for team morale and he has a wealth of experience that he can pass down on Subban and Webber

24. Propwash says:

I wonder if Markov is going to wind up behind the bench, seeing that he’s done for the season. Could help PK for example.

25. TommyB says:

World Juniors single game tickets at Niagara University (Dwyer Arena, a short hop across the ditch in Lewiston, NY) are priced quite reasonably at $20 per.  Unfortunately this rink has very limited seating, hence the price, and hence the fact that you will not see Canada or the US in that rink.  However, Russia, Czech, Finland, and Sweden will all play some games at Dwyer, including a New Year’s Eve Russia/Czech game.  There is also Czech/Sweden on the 30th, as well as Russia/Sweden on the 28th.  This is a real good, and inexpensive, option for anyone who wants to catch some World Junior action and can’t get tickets to the bigger games, or can’t fork out the cash.  If you go, find your way to Mister B’s bar (corner of Hyde Park and Ontario in Niagara Falls, NY) for the best pizza & wings money can buy.  And a small amount of money buys you lots!  Consider this my public service announcement.

26. Price_Is_Right says:

Leblanc should make this team, he’s good enough. Not surprising about Gallgher though he’s really small!

Good things come to those who wait…But only what’s left by those who hustle!

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Penguin fans are stuffing the box for the ASG so for those of you who wanted Carey to have the weekend off, well he might not be the starter but his stats are good enough to likely have him selected by one of the two captains, whoever they end up being.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

From what I understand, the approach by Team Canada for this year is scoring by committee and two-way players, Gallagher’s a shooter right now without much D and he is not as swift on his skates as one would prefer a player his size to be. He has time, but as an 18-year old he’s in tough against bigger, more developed players.

With seemingly no favourite goaltender for a 2nd straight year for Team Canada, I can’t fault them for a defence-first approach.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

29. Mark C says:

Do yourself a favor and go to TSN and check out Jaro’s clip from today’s practice. Some hilarious stuff.

Also, Max-Pac talks about letting Gio and Gomez be the skill players on ice, while he works the corners and goes to the net. I really believe that this is Gomez’s shot to turn his season around, and it couldn’t come at a better time.

30. Chuck says:

I’m guessing that the Team Canada braintrust figures that they’re already flushed with scoring.

Centre Hice: Sainte Flanelle, illustrated history: 1935-36