Julien would prefer avoiding the spotlight

Former Canadiens coach Claude Julien found himself two wins away from his second Stanley Cup in three years after his Boston Bruins beat the Chicago Blackhawks 2-0 Monday night in Game 3 to take a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven final.

Game 4 is Wednesday night in Boston (8 p.m., CBC, NBC, RDS).

“If I could come to work every day, do this stuff, then walk out of the rink and nobody knew who I was, I’d be the happiest guy in the world,” Julien told reporters before Game 3 in Boston. “That’s just the way I am. It’s my personality.

“I’ve been here for six years. I think I’ve been fired five times,” Julien added to laughter from reporters. ”You know, those kinds of things really are not important to me. What’s important is the results. As long as the people I work for appreciate what we do, that’s what matters. At the end of the day, winning hockey games for our fans and for the city is what matters to me. That stuff is really no bother to me.”

The coach continued: “I enjoy the job. I enjoy being around players. I enjoy the whole process of this work just don’t like the limelight that comes with it. I’m low profile. That’s just the way I am.”

(Photo by Charles Krupa/The Associated Press)

Low profile and high times for Julien, montrealgazette.com

Bruins put squeeze on Hossa-less Hawks, montrealgazette.com

Rask rises to the occasion, montrealgazette.com

Bruins blank Blackhawks, NHL.com

Quenneville failing to adjust to Bruins, sportsnet.ca

Former Hab Corson suffered teenage illness in silence, montrealgazette.com

How about Youppi! for mayor of Montreal? by Stu Cowan

Train like a pro: Peter Budaj, canadiens.com

1. Dunboyne Mike says:

Shouldn’t the poll question be: “Who is the better coach?”

2. Maritime Ron says:

Kypreos reporting that the Jonathan Bernier landing spots could be Toronto/Philly and the Islanders are also in the mix…

Here’s not wanting to start an HIO war :-) , yet what follows here has nothing to do with a lack of respect for ‘Price Potential’ or backup Budaj, yet it would have been interesting if Montreal would have been in the mix or actually acquired him.

Yes, we all know and have been told on numerous occasions from several ‘experts’ that Carey has “All the Tools” and “Great Potential” and that he has excelled and has been a winner in every league he played in before the NHL.
    That is fact.

We have also been told (sold) that if Carey had a better team in front of him, that he would excel….that he would be a Cup winner….yet perhaps the opposite is also true as Dominic Hasek led a hodge podge Sabres team to the Cup Final in 1999…

From here, a brutal and most honest assessment of the Carey Price years:

- Brought up too quickly
    – Halak mesmerizes and is traded
    – Was never challenged for #1.
    – Was always mollycoddled….

Hate Boston as much as you wish, yet they had the audacity to choose goalie Malcom Subban with their 1st Round Draft pick last summer for multiple reasons – to never be held hostage by a goalie, and to make sure he knows there are CHALLENGES below him.

We now have a goalie that has proven very little in the past 6 years – and yes he was good in that 2010/ 7 Game OT playoff loss to the eventual Cup winning Bruins…..yet in that Series, he also lost all 3 of the last 4 games that were decided by OT.

• AH says:

Maritime Ron: +100 and I’m a Price fan.

PS: I have really been enjoying your posts; insightful and often funny!

Cheers.

• jctremblay says:

Enough with the Price bashing. We get it. He sucks and needs to be traded. But he won’t be. So go cheer for the Bruins..end of story..

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ron is not Price bashing, He is reasoning no one wise puts all their eggs in one basket

…I know I would feel a lot more secure as a Habs Fan if Carey was number one (at least at first) and a Bernier as number 2

…really I think the Price loyalists are blind to His undeniable good looks and charisma, rather than the substance of His performance

…I hope Carey becomes Our Superstar …but, I am also cautious enough to want to have a fall-back if He duds out

…just like Ron

• Chris says:

Hi Ron,

One thing I think you have to factor in is that Los Angeles is trying to free Bernier to pursue his own career ambitions to be a #1 goalie. Trading Bernier makes little sense as a purely hockey decision. He is an excellent back-up, he is relatively cheap, and he has the potential to carry the team if Quick was hurt. Essentially, he is everything you want in a back-up.

But he’s too good to be a back-up, at least in terms of potential. Lombardi recognizes this, and he wants to help a young kid out. Part of the reason Halak was traded was that he had earned a chance to be a #1 somewhere, and that somewhere wasn’t Montreal.

Ilya Bryzgalov was dealt to Phoenix by Brian Burke as he’d earned the shot to try to be a #1 goalie. Miikka Kiprusoff to Calgary, Vesa Toskala to Toronto and Dominik Hasek to Buffalo were all other examples of guys who were doomed to being a back-up who were basically freed to pursue (to varying levels of success) their personal ambitions.

Trading Bernier to Montreal to back-up Price would not be fair to the kid. He wants a legitimate shot at being a #1 goalie for a while to see if he can handle it. That would never happen with Price fighting him for the net.

Lombardi wanted to do well by Bernier. Trading him to Montreal would have been the worst possible move for the kid’s career.

3. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Couldn’t open the tune for some reason but I like Daft Punk. Their new”Random Access Memories”is pretty good too. Saludos!

4. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Kootch. Would love to see Volchenkov and TU-74 wreaking havoc on our blueline.

5. AllHailTheFlower says:

Maybe it’s me, but “Canadian Tire Place” just sounds…weird.

Deadspin did a mashup of Doc Emrick’s 100+ different synonyms for pass from the triple OT game.

• Habfan10912 says:

He’s terrific. The man always sounds that he’s in love with the game. Someone once told me that he could make a checkers match seem exciting.

If Pierre wasn’t on that network I would actually be listening to the NBC feeds, but I can’t tolerate the guy. Really like the energy Emerick brings to a hockey game, also find he isn’t Bias.

• florida habs says:

that’s exactly what I thought having to listen to NBC, believe it or not Milbury has not been biased either, unlike his HNIC days. I would rate the coverage better than CBC and I can’t believe I would have ever thought that. goes to show u how far CBC has fallen.

• The Juice says:

? Are you guys for real? I can’t stand Emrick…something about his voice is just flat out nauseating.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

7. frontenac1 says:

@strummer. The Habs lost every fight. They were an easy target because of no Heavyweight Enforcers IMO.

• Habsrule1 says:

I didn’t think the fights were all that one-sided. Did any of the Habs get injured or even look battered afterwards? Sure, I’d prefer they win the fights, but it’s not like there were 5 knockouts.

Go Habs Go!!

• Strummer says:

No KO’s just “Unanimous Decisions”

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…for those lucky enough to have visited and seen/experienced the unearthly beauty of the originally Hindu, but later Buddhist Angkor Wat Temples of Cambodia …a new airborne laser technology ( Light Detection and Ranging/LIDAR) has revealed that the massive temple complex is but a part of a much larger urban complex (city) called Mahendraparvata …built by the Khmer people 900 years ago, over an area larger than the city of Paris

…for a still uncertain reason it was abandoned by the Khmers and greatly overgrown by vegetation for centuries until foreign archaeologists have been incrementally rediscovering it’s ethereal significance and beauty since the 1900s

…speaking for Myself, I have never felt a deeper connection to the creativity and spirituality of mankind as I did walking the temples of Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom …I must have spent hours sitting, meditating at the sublime surroundings of architectural beauty and it’s entwinement with nature

…I recommend it for anyone interested …it will soothe your emptiness of not experiencing a Stanley Cup for over 20 years …and do Your soul a World of good :)

CBC; ‘Huge ancient city at Angkor Wat revealed by lasers’: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/06/18/science-angkor-wat-city.html

9. Habfan10912 says:

I wished Julien would avoid the spotlight as well.

10. Strummer says:

According to NHL.com the Habs were involved in half the fights in this year’s playoffs:

” There have been only 14 fights (28 majors) assessed in this year’s playoffs, and half of those were in one first-round game between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens. All 14 fights have taken place within the Eastern Conference and there has not been a single fighting major called in the 38 Western Conference playoff games.”

Edit- Small? Soft? How can this be?
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

11. Kooch7800 says:

HOLY SMOKES sorry this was yesterdays news….I was sick and I am just seeing it now

The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms on a four-year, $21 million deal with impending unrestricted free-agent defenceman Mark Streit.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Holmgrem is a loose cannon.

• Kooch7800 says:

big time. That is good though LOL. just wait till he goes after a goalie.

This off season will get interesting with the buyouts. Man I am hoping NJ drops Volchenkov. Having him and Emelin on the same D would be fantastic

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

I posted a link yesterday Kooch, the Devils just missed a 3million dollar interest payment on their new restructured debt, therefore technically putting him in default. The owner is an idiot, and he seems to love to call the lenders bluff on calling his loan. I can’t see him agreeing to buyouts and also wonder what this does to their chances of re-signing Clarkson.

That franchise under the current ownership is not in good financial position.

• Kooch7800 says:

so many franchises in not good shape. But hey the NHL is bigger and better than ever according to the Butthead.

I would even be up for a trade to get Volchenkov. I straight up for moen maybe?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• florida habs says:

what do u think PK will be worth?

12. Niklas says:

With his looks I would prefer to avoid the spotlight too..

• florida habs says:

does Lucy feel the same, he should.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Pretty Boy Justin Trudeau, superficial and an intellectual lightweight compared to Dad

…Fat Boy Rob Ford, though finally a politician determined to live within the taxpayers’ means, vilified and demonized because he ain’t pretty

…Jabba , err I mean, Claude Julien …2 Stanley Cups (likely) in 3 years

…funny how ‘looks’ biases Our perceptions of people

• florida habs says:

I think it is because he is a crack head, possibly a petty thief.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…show Me the evidence and I may agree with You

…until then, this is the most egregious public character assassination by the the press outside a court of law

• Habsrule1 says:

Not following it that closely but wasn’t that video pretty damning evidence? what am I missing? So he just hangs out with crackheads and isn’t one himself or could the video be fake?

Go Habs Go!!

What video?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Gerald is right Paul, all the accusations are based on a few journalists say so without evidence

• Habsrule1 says:

Fair enough. I thought there was a video or some more substantial proof.
            Sux people get crucified in the media without proof or a trial.

Go Habs Go!!

• Chris says:

1) The Toronto Star has been over the top in their pursual of Rob Ford. That I can absolutely agree with.

2) Character assassination? Hardly. Rob Ford doesn’t have any character. The guy has been a gong-show for years. The stuff we’re seeing now has been the tip of the iceberg if the rumours circulating the guy long before the Toronto Star got on his case are even remotely close to true.

The guy DOES have a problem. He has a DUI on his record, which came with a marijuana possession charge. He has been caught on numerous occasions behaving in an extremely belligerent fashion while publicly intoxicated, occasionally in official capacities.

The common thread in all his controversies is that his first reaction is to lie, denying that it ever happened and that it was all a hatchet job, only to fess up when it became clear that the record was pretty definitive on it. Half of his hand-picked staff have quit his office. The shocking thing with Rob Ford isn’t his behaviour, but the fact that we’ve become so used to it.

Multiple journalists saw the video. They generally don’t have a lot to gain by lying about such a thing. Their professional credibility could be the difference between employment and unemployment…journalism is an extraordinarily tough market at the moment.

The video existed. Even Ford’s own political allies and members of his inner circle conceded that when approached by journalists. The Toronto Police revealed this week that they were aware of the alleged video weeks before Gawker and the Toronto Star broke the story. What was contested is whether he was actually smoking crack or just hanging out with a bunch of people that were doing so. To dispute the existence of the video at this point takes an almost fanciful gullibility that is frankly amazing given Ford’s erratic public behaviour.

Given his history, and rampant rumours that have persisted around the guy for years, the media had little choice but to run with it.

Is he guilty? Who knows. There certainly isn’t enough to convict him of anything. But that has never stopped politicians of all stripes and ideological backgrounds from being held to the irons. Politicians are, as they must be, held to a higher moral standard than Joe or Jane Q. Public.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Chris, that is an unanswerable post.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I see Jabba The Hutt is finally getting respect in HIO :)

• Mr. Biter says:

I went on NESN website after the Habs beat the bruins to secure 1st in our division (so long ago now) and Bruin fans were on the warpath to fire Jabba and dump Lucic. No doubt they are praising them both now.
      Going on our yearly fishing trip on Friday with my cousin from Boston and if Boston wins it while we’re gone will ruin the whole trip as I’ll hear it every waking hour. Go Hawks Go.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Cal says:

You gotta change cousins- or suddenly develop an intense rash that prevents you from being in a fishing boat with a Gooin fan.

Where ya going fishing Ron? Enjoy yourself, and good luck with the cousin, I fear you will be having chowder with your fish every evening though. ;-)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…growing up, spent every summer in Cape Cod and Boston …I love clam chowder

…I love Boston

…I just hate the Beans :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Mr B, I did that too. It WAS a long time ago, but I remember it took weeks before I stopped feeling dirty! I remember exactly the kinds of posts you’re talking about. Very reminiscent, in fact, of what goes on here….

I would have agreed with them about Lucic. He had a very poor season, and seemed to be getting less and less interested down the stretch.

But oh my land did he ever wake up in Toronto. Nearly every Bruin has been playing his A game every night since (possible exception of Daugavins? Or maybe that IS his A game?). And Lucic has been a beast.

Have a blast fishing — don’t be macho about life-preservers.

• wjc says:

You say “Is he guilty, who knows exactly”…. your words.

If I say, “I have a video of you stealing from a store”, but never produce it. Does that make you guilty. Have you heard of ‘photo shop’, of course you have. To convince me I would want any video analyzed to see if it was genuine or even exists. Big Foot….. anyone?

Rampant rumors are just that……rumors.

Character assassination is just that…character assassination.

Aware of ‘alleged’ video, how can you be aware of something that is alleged?

Professional credibility….for an alleged video, that know one can actually verify is real. Sorry I need ‘proof’… actual proof. Everyone makes mistakes and over time you can make lots of them. But is it fair to go back years and years. Of course you will find stuff, if that is what you wish to find.

I know your mind is made up, and that is fine, absolutely your right. But for someone who demands fairness and un-bias in a hockey game something does not swing right for me.

Apparently, according to the Star, Ford, has never done anything right. They have never reported anything positive, there has to something they can praise him for. But apparently not!

Now feel free to call me an imbecile.

wjc

14. commandant says:

Russ looks at the entire East buyout candidates.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ben, whom would You guess will be Marc’s first draft choice based on whom You believe will be available in July ?

• Ozmodiar says:

> … will be available in July June.

His mock had the Habs taking JT Compher… of course, there’s still time for him to reconsider.

• commandant says:

Yeah, I’ve been saying Compher for a while.

But we never know what will fall to us… I had Beaulieu gone to Boston at 9 (the Dougie Hamilton pick, Schiefele and Zibanejad going early screwed up that mock), in 2011.

I also had Collberg as my 9th ranked prospect, and had him going at 12 in my mock last year.

So you never know.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Ed says:

Zibanejad was a great pick. He’s already a factor, and looks to be an excellent player going forward.

• Ozmodiar says:

You’re not the only one that had Collberg going in that 10-15 range. :)

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 or 3 of the Russians slide from where they’re ranked now (‘shukin + the 2 Z’s).

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…5′-10″, 178 lbs centre, American

…should that be the profile of Our first selection ? …or is there something exceptional ?

• Ozmodiar says:

> …or is there something exceptional ?

He could be the next Scott Gomez!! ;)

Seriously, he’s clutch and feisty. But not an exceptional skater for that size + concussion… 2nd round, maybe.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…GM Timo’s first choice to be sure :)

• commandant says:

Surrey… he’s 5’11… skilled, and gritty as all %%%%. I compared him to a Claude Lemieux.

He’s at the middle of every damn scrum. Beaking off, getting his nose dirty, and causing shit. He’s also not afraid to be a little bit dirty at times.

Add to that some skill, a good shot and good passing, along with a knack for coming up with huge goals for the US Team, and playing at his best in the biggest games. I’ve got him a lot higher than most other scouts. To me Compher would be a steal at 25.

He had some injuries early in the season, but came back great from them in the second half. If he played the whole year I think he’d be a top 15 pick.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• commandant says:

Ed you are right, Zibanejad was a great pick, but thats where it changed things, and then Hamilton fell to the Bruins (I had him higher), and Beaulieu fell to us.

If Couturier and Hamilton go in pick 6 and 7, I think it changes that draft afterwards.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Kooch7800 says:

If Anton Volchenkov gets bought out, MB better be all over that like me on a smarty

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

15. Maritime Ron says:

Re the discussion of a Vinny Lecavalier Trade/Buyout scenario.

1) VC has a no movement clause therefore he cannot be “Moved” anywhere without his consent.

2) VC is owed $45 Million in Salary over the next 7 seasons but much more important for him shows the next 3 seasons at $10M each followed by $8.5M-$4M-$1.5M-$1M.

3) Buyout rules state he would be paid-out 2/3 of his remaining Salary over double the time left on the contract
    WHY would VC agree to a Trade/Buyout when he would only collect 2/3 of $45M (=$30M ) over 14 years instead of 7 – and especially guaranteed $30M over the next 3 seasons?

4) He lives on beautiful Davis Island and has been in Tampa since 1998. Can he find a better place to live and not be constantly harassed as Tampa has NFL-MLB- and NCAA to keep the folks occupied

5) He already has a Stanley Cup ring so there is little motivation to win it somewhere else.

What do you believe he will do?

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t think he has to agree to the buyout. His no movement only applies to trades and being sent to the AHL. maybe being loaned to a European league if I am not mistaken. The only way Tampa could not buy him out is if he is injured. He would still have say in where he goes and what he makes. He could still make more over the next 5 years than if he stayed in Tampa.

Habfan17

• florida habs says:

a don’t see a scenario where he accepts any trade, he likes TB, and if they do in fact buy him out, he will play where ever he likes depending on the cash an owner wants to shell out. you can be sure it would be to a cup contender, not us.

• Maritime Ron says:

I was looking at the trade then buyout scenario.
        Of course if Tampa would want to buy him out, VC has absolutely no say in the matter

• Habfan17 says:

Cool, I wasn’t sure! I do agree why would he accept a trade unless it was to help out the owners, which I doubt. With so much term left, even if Tampa ate half his salary, it is still a big commitment.

Habfan17

• Ozmodiar says:

There goes points 1 to 5. :)

• bwoar says:

Don’t see why the Bolts do this, nor will he agreed to be traded.

“thoroughbred”

• Garbo says:

I think Gomez tried to refuse his buyout, and MB had to tell him it was not up to him.

So what if the proviso is that he is traded, immediately bought out by the team whom traded for him, then re-signs a shorter 3 year deal at say 4 million per season.

He now gets to stay in Tampa, he also has made it easier for his franchise to let him finish his career there without crippling them in cap dollars, and the new contract almost makes up for lost wages from his first deal.

This is the scenario I have been painting.

• Habfan17 says:

and the other team would get Drouin? I wouldn’t do it if I were another GM. One possible problem is the league would not allow it, if it would put the other team more than 10% over the cap. I would want more for helping out the Lightening.

Habfan17

16. Ghosts of the Forum says:

If Briere is bought out…..

just sayin’….

• Habfan17 says:

No thanks! He is another small guy and has had injury problems recently, including a concussion. Besides, he didn’t want to play here before.

Habfan17

17. commandant says:

John Hayden, another big American Forward, is today’s prospect

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

18. flowerpower_74 says:

FIRST?

“Claude Julien can whine all he wants because that’s what defeated Bruins do. ” J.T. aka Leigh Ann Power