Journalist O’Byrne; Dogs at Bell Nov. 5

Canadiens defenceman Ryan O’Byrne writes a piece for the Victoria Times-Colonist, his hometown paper. It’s one of a series of reflections by prominent Victoria natives about their city. If Ryan didn’t have a ghost-writer, there are a few of us Inside/Out whose careers are now on thin ice. Thanks to @torrievenoit on Twitter for steering us to this.

• The Hamilton Bulldogs are coming to the Bell Centre for a game Nov. 5. Read on below.

Team release:

The Hamilton Bulldogs, the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate, will play host to the Binghamton Senators at the Bell Centre on Friday, Nov. 5 at 7:30 p.m. This event is a presentation of evenko in collaboration with the SMS Group, promoter of the game. It will be the Bulldogs’ fifth game at the Bell Centre in team history, the third time against Binghamton.

Tickets, starting from $6, will be available as of Saturday, Sept. 25 at 10 a.m., at the Bell Center box office, by phone at (514) 790-2525 or 1-877-668-8269, or at www.evenko.ca.

The Bulldogs roster will feature some of the Canadiens’ top-rated prospects just a few strides away from the NHL. The Bulldogs will actually open their training camp on September 28 with three pre-season contests against the Binghamton Senators, from Sept. 30 to Oct. 3. The games will be held in Corner Brook, Grand Falls-Windsor and St. John’s, N.L.

More than 14,700 fans attended the first Bulldogs’ game of the 2009-10 season at the Bell Centre on Nov. 6 when they hosted Binghamton. More than 15,000 fans attended the second match last Feb. 21, which saw the Bulldogs blank the Adirondack Phantoms 5-0.

Several young Canadiens prospects who contributed to the Bulldogs’ success last season are still at camp with the Canadiens, including David Desharnais, P.K. Subban, Ryan White, Tom Pyatt, Mathieu Carle, Yannick Weber and Ben Maxwell.

The Bulldogs’ first game at the Bell Centre was held on March 18, 2007, against the Syracuse Crunch, weeks before the first Calder Cup championship in franchise history. The Canadiens’ current roster features four Bulldogs alumni from the 2006-07 championship edition: netminder Carey Price, defenceman Ryan O’Byrne, as well as forwards Andrei Kostitsyn and Maxim Lapierre.

On Nov. 30, 2008, the Bulldogs played host to the Binghamton Senators before some 14,000 fans at the Bell Centre.

1. otter649 says:

Actually it was a free game no cost to the fans attending sponsored by Coke Zero – I believe the third year where Coke Zero gives out tickets at no cost to the fans etc………

I watched as much of the Leaf, Ottawa game as I could stand last night. What a crappy game by both teams.

I know it is exhibition season with a lot of new people playing together. But for a fan to pay to see that kind of hockey is theft for sure.

I sure hope we don’t look that bad tonight.!

Here is wishing that all our HIO friends in Newfoundland are safe this morning.! Anything we can do here.?

This disaster will probably put the 3 Bulldogs games there in jeopardy.

The last time I pulled a string, I ended up with a ball of thread and no underware.!

5. SPATS says:

He’s probably the only under 30 home owner on 10 mile point as well as the only under 30 member at Victoria Golf Club. Go figure, you’d need to be pulling in close to 7 figures to afford that lifestyle here. Well done Ryan.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Looks like the Leafs were awful. Sens didn’t dress any of their stars and won 5-0. Phaneuf was a pylon.

7. secretdragonfly says:

Hey Ian, can you pull some strings and get all us summit-goers tickets? Just kidding, I’m sure Hurley’s could use the business.

8. Keith says:

And the CBC just hired Brad May to be an analyist for the AHL. Just another knuckle-dragging goon to add to the sinking ship that is the CBC.

9. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:

CAREY..CAREY…CAREY You will be able to see him in Hamilton come dec.

nuff said

10. JIMVINNY says:

Oh man, that one is so three years ago…

11. Dave Stubbs says:

That never gets old, does it?

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

12. Don Carnage says:

Let what go?  I hope you know what a joke is ..

13. Nina76 says:

some people can NEVER let anything go………………He is a good guy so shut up!!!!!!! GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

14. Harani says:

Ex-Hab Corey Locke scores to make it 3-0 ans fans boo the Laffs…What’s on the other channel?

“It must be love!”

15. Keith says:

And the suckulence continues lol…

16. Everlasting1 says:

Watching Philly-Jersey.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

17. Keith says:

Congrats on your new car. I know a few people who have a Civic and they have nothing but good things to say about it.

18. HFX-HabFan says:

Nice!  Welcome to Civic Nation!  They’ll run forever.  Mine’s on its way to Pat Hickey territory.

19. Harani says:

Hey Everyone! Like I mentioned this morning, it’s my dad’s bday tomoro. And he just bought ME a new car. How sweet is that! Harani is now a proud owner of a black 2007 Honda Civic (with only 45k mileage). Anyone else have that car/model? How is it? I know it’s kind of off topic but I’m just super excited I dunno what to do!

In other news, looks like the Leafs still suck! Ha!

“It must be love!”

20. MikeMcLaren says:
    “Then St. Patrick’s Elementary School for Grades 1 to 7 and finally St. Michaels University School for high school”

Interesting that he went to the same high school as Steve Nash!

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

21. HabsFanInVictoria says:

It’s a small city.  There aren’t that many private schools here.

22. zerolegel says:

It’s not ordinary suckulence, it’s total brutalness. That should be rated R.

23. Keith says:

I stand corrected.

24. HabsFanInVictoria says:

I second that.

25. Say Ash says:

No kidding. I’m glad somebody else thought so, too. That could have been written by anybody.

Tell us what it’s like scoring on your own net, or throw in the odd purse-snatching anecdote.

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry, but that O’Byrne piece is completely vacuous. It sounds like it was written by a precocious ten year old. And then gone over by a committee of editors to remove any hint of individuality.

27. erowne says:

While not a Pulitzer Prize candidate, it is interesting to learn what O’Byrne does to pass the time in his own city. As a resident of Victoria, I find it amusing that we share common interests and frequent similar locations. I may even have passed by him without noticing (I’m not one to remember faces).

If you read the Victoria-Times Colonist (and more to the point reside within Victoria), it’s an interesting piece. If you don’t, I doubt you understand. Give it a few more years and you’ll wind up as one of the many retirees who can barely see over their steering wheels in this beautiful city (with its relatively dry climate, for that arthritis). Then you’ll understand.

28. Sheldon says:

Maybe he actually can write? He did go to Cornell for three years!

29. JIMVINNY says:

Stubbs, you have to worry about O’byrne stealing your job as much as he has to worry about you stealing his.

30. Don Carnage says:

I would be more worried O’byrne might steal someone’s purse !

Dave – I’m not sure that Nov 5th is a Sunday.

32. Dave Stubbs says:

Sharp eyes, thank you. It’s a Friday. I’ve changed it and will alert the Habs. In their release, they also referred to  David Desharnais, P.K. Subban, Ryan White, Tom Pyatt, Mathieu Carle, Yannick Weber and Ben Maxwell as forwards.

Dave Stubbs