John Scott clears the air when it comes to his P.K. Subban comments

John Scott, who played one game with the Canadiens at the end of the 2015-16 season, was back in the news recently because of comments he made about another former Canadien, P.K. Subban, during an ESNP E:60 profile that aired on the Nashville Predators defenceman ahead of the Stanley Cup final.

“I don’t like him. I think on the ice, he’s a piece of garbage,” Scott said about Subban on ESPN’s E:60. “Perceived as like a hot shot, this guy thinks he’s better than everybody.”

On Monday, Scott was interviewed on Montreal’s TSN Radio 690 and tried to explain his comments which were from an interview he said he did about two years ago with ESPN. Scott wasn’t aware that it was going to be part of the feature on Subban before he started receiving a lot of “hate tweets” from Montreal.

“I didn’t know what was going on,” Scott told TSN Radio 690’s Simon Tsalikis. “I just tried to figure out what’s going on and I find out it’s because of this ESPN piece I did a long time ago and they’re running it yesterday. I didn’t even see it really. So I’m just trying to put some fires out and tell everyone like: yeah, I said that a long time ago.

“I honestly hated everyone I played against, so it’s not anything personal against P.K.,” added Scott, who retired following his one game with the Canadiens after Montreal acquired him in a bizarre trade with the Arizona Coyotes. “I hadn’t met him at that time and now that I’ve met him I actually like the guy. He’s a good guy off the ice. But on the ice I don’t like him and that’s just all there is to it. I’m not going to back down from that comment. I didn’t like playing against him, I didn’t like some of the antics he did. You’re allowed to not like people. It’s not always rainbows and butterflies. So everyone I hope please stop mean tweeting me.”

Scott also said in the TSN Radio 690 interview that he sensed a problem in the Canadiens locker room during his very short stint with the club and from talking with other players, saying it was “really dysfunctinal”, “quiet” and it “wasn’t a fun place to play hockey.”

The ESPN E:60 feature profile on Subban will air in Canada Tuesday at 10 p.m. on TSN2.

Full TSN Radio 690 interview with John Scott

Sergachev celebrates Memorial Cup win

Mikhail Sergachev, the Canadiens’ first-round pick at last year’s NHL Draft, helped the Windsor Spitfires beat the Erie Otters 4-3 Sunday night to win the Memorial Cup as the host team. Sergachev had an assist on the Spitfires’ first goal.

Jeremiah Addison, the Spitfires captain, was selected by the Canadiens in the seventh round of the 2015 NHL Draft.

1. Dunboyne Mike says:

nude red >>>>>>

2. cbhabsfan says:

Here’s a recent interview with Vadim Shipachev. It doesn’t sound like Bergevin did anything wrong in his attempts to sign the 30-year-old Russian free agent. It’s more like Shipachev jumped on an opportunity to be the centrepiece of a brand-new NHL franchise that he feels can be competitive right out of the gate:

• The_Rocket_Returns says:

I dunno — the only part touching on that is where he says he had multiple offers but picked Vegas because “they truly counted on me.” Which I read as “they gave me the most money” and/or “they gave me two years” and/or “they said I could be a top-six center.”

If that’s the case, and Bergie didn’t offer better term and salary while making it clear that a top-six job was his to earn, then Bergie failed. Miserably. Again.

… Koivu to Zednik to Kovalev …

• cbhabsfan says:

Offensively gifted, but tiny.

I doubt if similarly sized Martin Reway will ever get his mojo fully back and Sven Andrighetto has been shuffled off to Colorado, so I guess there’s room for another small fry in the prospect pool.

Maybe he’d one day be our team’s Gaudreau/ Zuccarello. That would be nice.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Whatever happens with Reway. I have written him off until I see him in a training camp.

Right now this team needs scoring and, in today’s NHL, scoring WITH speed. Yamamoto fits the bill. Plus he ill be 19 in September so next year in Laval. If Reway ends up there, they can light it up together.

• Don Birnam says:

Didn’t he launch the attack on Pearl harbour?

• D Mex says:

Oh boy – hope you’re in Hawaii with that one !

• Don Birnam says:

They just had the movie on Monday. Tora Tora.
          Amazing movie. Yamamoto, that’s the guy.

• on2ndthought says:

Didn’t want to attack. Told his commanders (and the emperor), “we’ll do fine for a few months, but you won’t like what will happen after 2 or 3 years”.

Great man, died trying to visit the troops to inspire them, refused to play safe.

3. cbhabsfan says:

There are a number of stories online now about Martin Reway’s struggle to get his professional hockey career back on track again, after missing all of last season with a serious heart ailment, viral myocarditis.

Some are saying he will never get back to what he once was physically, but there are others who feel he has a good chance make a full recovery and be much the same player on the ice as he ever was.

The good news is that he’s back training and is determined to be at a Montreal Canediens training camp in September, though I’m not sure if that means the main camp or not. Probably not.

Reway, for anyone unfamiliar with him, is a smallish centre/left wing with truly elite offensive skills. He played a couple of seasons in Gatineau before heading back to Europe to make some money for his working class family.

He led the Slovak team to a bronze medal as team captain at the WJC in 2015, after helping the Slovaks get to the quarter-finals in 2014 as one of the tournament’s leading scorers.

Eyes on the Prize had this the other day:

But this one, though it’s in Slovak, has a short video of Reway pulling some weights on a sled, which I guess is a hopeful sign:

If not for his illness, Reway was all set to come over last year, and had gone on record to say he would have no problem starting his career in the AHL.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that his medical troubles are behind him and we can see what his potential as an NHL player might be as he plays in Laval next season.

• habcertain says:

I think the odds were long to start, this maybe a bridge too far.

• veryhabby says:

cb…I remember being really high on him and Ghetto when HAbs drafted them. Feeling that out of pure talent they had more then say Collberg, Bozon, Hudon.

So far Ghetto, to me, has shown that he has the talent to be a NHLer and Hudon seems to be developing great in AHL. All these guys are smaller O talent type players when drafted. If 3 out of 5 make the NHL that would be very very good later round drafting. But I don’t think one team can have all 3 on their team at the same time, as they are all small and should be 2-3 line players. You don’t want half of that in the small. With Ghetto gone, hopefully Hudon and Reway can make the team one day.

Hopefully Reway can get back to where he was. I wonder if being small helps in that he doesn’t have as long a way to go as someone who was over 200lbs of muscle lol.

It would be incredible if he can carve himself an nhl career.

4. marvin20 says:

Fun fact remember the pkhio golden boy. Select? He had most of his nhl success under………Mt. LMAO

5. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Predators’ catfish thrower says he’s ‘just a dumb redneck with a bad idea”

Never would have suspected that (LOL). The guy actually ran over the catfish with his truck to flatten it…talk about animal abuse.

6. marvin20 says:

I agree habcertain Julien is ruining AG27 the same way he mismanaged Seguin

7. habcertain says:

We just don’t have the luxury of trading a Max or Chucky for other like forwards that, at best, may just supplant the lost production. We need to offer picks, prospects (which are very lean in terms of potential) D men, or goalies, and most likely a combination of that mix. Hard to make a solid trade when you are holding a weak hand. UFAs have little appetitive for Montreal, Rads looks like he is on his way out, or at least testing the market, and Price thinking maybe this would be his best route also, if his primary goal is the Cup. MB overpaid middling players which has left him a little hamstrung unless he can move them.

A rebuild was in order when MB arrived but hiring an awful coach, and the belief you could win it all around a goalie, is just not consistent with today’s game.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

hc, your opening premise. I’m not in a hurry to trade either guy, but I AM interested in the possibilities. And I would have thought that the objective of trading Pacioretty would be to bring back someone who not only scores but who also, crucially, helps other people score, something Max doesn’t do. Isn’t that very different from supplanting lost production?

8. marvin20 says:

Under Mt chuck was number 1 center on pace for 70 points. Under Julien he was a 4th line winger.

9. marvin20 says:

Was it a over the top goal celebration. ..or a cry for attention. …..everyone look at me.

10. Habs62 says:

Chucky 3 things contributing inconsistencies (not necessarily in order of worst)
    1) maturity he lets himself get down to easy
    2)family influence most likely Dad
    3) Habs not managing youth well especially under Therrien. Also not think about 1 & 2 enough

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think teams are looking at 3) and wondering if Chucky is even better than he has shown and that a new environment will do him better than Mtl.

11. DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t really care who wins the cup, because whoever it is, it will be illegitimate. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again:

The Stanley Cup was donated by Frederick Arthur Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby (15 January 1841 – 14 June 1908), also known as Lord Stanley of Preston and the sixth Governor General of Canada.

He stipulated that, and I quote, it was “to be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the Dominion of Canada”

Quite simply, the Stanley Cup is meant to be awarded to the best hockey team in Canada.

In 2017 the Stanley Cup was won by the Montreal Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers, with identical records.

—–

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Haha, nice. But wrong.

Habs and Oilers are also ineligible because not amateur.

Still, I agree with the spirit of your post and suggest we all boycott the finals and start a petition. If only HiS were here — does a mean petition.

• habcertain says:

I’m assuming you are trolling with this. Why don’t we just break away from the league with all Canadian players on Canadian teams, make Cherry the Commish.

• Danno says:

It is a scandal of criminal proportions how the NHL literally stole the Stanley Cup from the people of Canada. Read the fine print at the end of this ad for the 25-cent Stanley Cup commemorative coin issued by the Royal Mint:

NHL, the NHL Shield, and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. © NHL 2017. All Rights Reserved.

Dipsy is right. The cup belongs to Canada not Buttman.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. marvin20 says:

WOW what a goal celebration for a guy whose job it is not to score goals.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

And you’ve never seen MY celebrations, and it’s even less my job to score goals! It won’t be long before the doc says, Stop it.

13. Psycho29 says:

This tweet is from the reporter who asked Bettman at his press conference about concussions:

Rob Rossi‏ @Real_RobRossi ·

Colin Campbell just stopped me after Bettman presser to say my question about head safety was “crazy” & “out of line.” #HockeyPlay

14. CowanS says:

I’ve got a couple of hours to kill before the end of shift, this seems like a good place to do it.
    So..a big trade with a team out west?

15. montreal ace says:

There is going to be a huge trade soon, with a western based team. I also think it could involve anybody on the roster, as trades do add excitement when looking at a teams chances for the future. Now for the play that should have been called dead at the blue line, acting like an archer, that hit the bullseye, makes a person look a bit like an idiot, if its all for nought. The series had just started, no need to look like you won the Cup.

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Talking of proposed Chucky contract, I think MB will try to low-ball Chucky like the Kucherov deal in TB. A 3 year 15 million type deal. Obviously he won’t take it.

• DipsyDoodler says:

So you think both sides will try for the best deal?

—–

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think with Chucky’s instability in the line-up over the past 5 seasons and with the almost hold-out last time from the bridge deal, there is a lack of trust and loyalty between his camp and the Habs.

The 6 million long term number is the fair market value one IMO but I don’t see MB giving it to him. I see MB giving it to another center. It is pretty clear from the long term contracts MB has given out that he favors a certain type of player (just look at the cap with Gally, Shaw, Weber and even the Lucic offer). Chucky doesn’t fit that profile. I honestly hope that I am wrong.

• cbhabsfan says:

I agree. I said below that if he signs with us, it will be a $6M cap hit. But I think it’s more likely at this stage that he might be flipped for, just as an example, Matt Duchene in a one-for-one deal.

• cbhabsfan says:

If he signs with us, the cap hit will be $6M. And it won’t be a two-year deal like the bridge deal he signed last time around.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If they offer him a long term 6 million he will sign it IMO unless he’s worried about getting traded to nowhere someday and wants a contract later with a full NMC.

17. Psycho29 says:

Frank Seravalli‏@frank_seravalli
    Hawks would allow Vegas to take D Trevor van Riemsdyk in draft, on consideration that @GoldenKnights also take Marcus Kruger in trade

Pierre LeBrun‏@PierreVLeBrun ·
    Lots going on with Vegas. I also hear they might net a 1st RD pick from a team for taking on a bad contract… fun few weeks ahead

18. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good to see Gerry Pigeon poking his feathery head above the parapet.

Very provocatively emphatic on Galchenyuk: not a Top 6 centre, so trade him for one. If I knew more I’d engage with you, on either one side or the other.

And i notice the only Habs goalie you mention in your post is one you want to hire, not trade! So what happened?

• Gerry Pigeon says:

Nothing happened. I’d still trade Carey, but no one wants to hear it anymore 🙂

And it’s not that I want to hire Saint Patrick, more like I don’t see MB pulling a rabbit out of his hat to salvage this sinking ship, and I expect that Roy will be the odds on favorite replacement.

Pens up 4-1, hard to stop a team with Sid and Gino. Wish we had a center…

19. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Anyway who cares anymore about the replay. It wasn’t a factor in the loss. A stupid penalty and scoring in your own goal were the factors. If the Preds lose the series, those two brutal mistakes will haunt them.

20. veryhabby says:

a tad below is a comparison suggesting that Chuck shoulb be treated relative to Huberdeau in contract talks.

So 6 yrs at $6M

Now know that I am a chuck fan, don’t want him gone as he is the only talented frwd we have. I am willing to cross my fingers and hope he can rebound as we have a new coach.

But after being in the league 5 years. Hitting 30 g once, but faltering last year and still unable to be a #1C, or a top line winger. AT THIS POINT is he worth anything close to that?

Does MB sign with hopes he ends up being worth it? OR should he get what he deserves from how he has played for 5 yrs?

The biggest problem with Chuck is between his ears. When he loses confidence he is useless. And he loses it often. Is it also some immaturity? Maybe he isn’t as good a playmaker as he assumed he would be?

I have no idea what MB will do. At least with PK he had won a Norris and was showing he was good and young which meant he would only get better. After 5 yrs we have 1 good season with Chuck. Should he get $6M?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice, reasoned post.

Additional questions: are the issues between his ears all ones that were generated by MT? If so, MT’s gone: can Gal recover or are the scars permanent?

What do you think of Gerry Pigeon’s position below (or summarised by me above)?

• veryhabby says:

DM… I have always said that I did not care if Chuck was a C or a winger…I just wanted him developed into a star player that his talent should allow him to become.

If MTL was going to keep Chuck on wing for 3 season before transitioning him to C, their mistake was not having gotten another C to help with the top 2 lines. You can’t take a kid, make him play wing and then think he can be a #1C with no C support behind him. Both Pleks and DD are not top 2 C material, for diff reasons. But man has MB failed in building his C position. From development of Chuck to having another top 2 C to help out.

It’s not like we can’t use another scoring winger. If that’s what they get from Chuck we should take it as we need it. But 12 g Chuck is the last thing we need on this team. And I don’t blame MT for Chuck being weak between his ears as that’s the player himself…but I do blame MT for not helping him with that, as a coach should do with young players.

• Loop_G says:

That makes sense and to a degree I agree with everything you said, but if you look at his production and what comparable players have got, $6 million is not unreasonable. I think $5m would make more sense, not sure MB can make that happen though, unless it’s a short term deal and I would think they’d want to lock him up long term or look for a trade partner.

21. on2ndthought says:

A man much wiser than me describes Chucky as a center by default. He always wants to be in the middle of the play.

It is up to Julien to protect him from his own puck chasing. Limit his defensive liability. Easy enough at home, and doable on the road; especially with Plek and Danault in the lineup.

So maybe not technically a #1, but a #1 offensive center, playing with your best LW sniper, and RW puck control guy.

Spezza and Seguin are having pretty good careers. My guess is Galchenyuk will eventually be better defensively than either.

• knob says:

Even if he never becomes a top end defensive guy, he can still be a good contributor by putting up solid numbers and leading the offence.

Management and the coaching staff should just let him be who he is.

in all thy sons command

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

They way Chucky moves through the neutral zone, I would have put him at center 3 years ago and lived/died with him there. The only player close to him in that aspect is Rads and who knows what happens with him.

22. Danno says:

Nice to see most people finally coming around this morning on the disallowed goal controversy

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

23. Paz says:

Agree that Galchenyuk and the team are following the same pattern as Subban.

Players believe in their talent, they have confidence in their game. That’s what they’ve relied on their whole lives, and what got them to the NHL.

In 2017, if you want a player to play, to be motivated, to want to win for you, in my opinion, you do not discuss his weaknesses in public.

It’s really that simple.

As a GM, when you’re asked to respond about Galchenyuk, you find a way to stay positive, even if you do have reservations about his game or his desire to improve it.

I continue to believe that there are real problems here.

The GM has shown himself to be untruthful at times, lacking in character and judgement, and ready to throw excellent players under the bus so he can squeeze them into signing a contract the player ends up regretting and resenting.

The team lacks leadership at the highest level.

• The ice ghost says:

Thank you for a solid and considered post. I have nothing to add.

Aside from that I’m sick of this John Scott thread. What an effing nobody. Can we just put up the Habs logo and have a generic off-season thread? At least until the draft (beer, not Molsons).

• Cal says:

Habs GM is trying to lower the upcoming cap hits of both Beaulieu and Galchenyuk. Either that or trade them for yet more 4th line puds.
      Stay tuned at the draft.
      Any prospect with offensive talent being interviewed by the Habs for the draft should say “I’m sorry, but I won’t play for you if you draft me because my potential won’t be realized.”

• Ozmodiar says:

It’s times like this that i wish the Habs had a ‘hockey guy’ as president. Someone who could intervene if MB were to err again.

I have a feeling MB’s going to make a panic move to save his job, and Molson won’t step in to stop it.

I had a bad feeling after last season before Subban was traded.

• habsfan0 says:

Step in to stop it?
        Molson has already gone on record as saying he believes MB has the team headed in the right direction.

Most of us would beg to differ.

• Mark C says:

If a GM’s trivial public comments are leading to players getting squeezed into contracts that they regret and resent, I would suggest they get new agents. These guys are being taken to the woodshed!

• johnnylarue says:

I have to agree. The smarmy used car salesman side of Bergevin is a major turnoff. A GM shouldn’t let himself get dragged into a clash of egos with his players. It’s inappropriate, unprofessional, and fosters toxicity.

From my standpoint (as a fan and light consumer of sports media), this is probably MB’s biggest flaw as a GM. His aversion to risk and slow reaction time can be justified to an extent, but the way he treats talented players who aren’t willing to fall in line all but ensures any Habs fans who enjoys goal scoring is totally screwed.

• Loop_G says:

That’s nonsense, pretty much every GM in the league at one point or another discusses a players strengths and weaknesses. In this case MB was just being honest, Galchenyuk and N8 have both been wildly inconsistent both with their effort and their attitude. Far worse has been said by coaches and GM’s about players they value and the expectation is that the players respond properly. Our default position should be assuming that players are adults and can handle this instead of expecting them to act like pouty little kids.

• deggy24 says:

Agree with Paz and Cal here. Another thing that often surfaces is relatively talentless people in positions of power can tend to treat people with special talent in a negative way .. very much MTs problem and may explain MBs attachment to the pud ..
      So we take people with special talent and make them talentless robots. There is no reason with a goalie like Price and skaters like Beauliau (sic), Petry (he can’t skate backwards very well but can fly moving forward) that we don’t have an alternate pattern of play wherein we allow defencemen to go deep into the oppositions end and teach forwards to cover (and the basic defensemen skills). Heck even Emelin had 30 points in a 60 game KHL schedule. Dummying everyone down is just stupid.

Here’s to the breezes that float through the treeses ..

24. bwoar says:

If there anyone who doesn’t take Yamamoto if he drops to 25th?

Speak of this draft, Filip Chytil.

25. DipsyDoodler says:

The best benchmark for Galchenyuk’s contract is Jonathan Huberdeau, taken in the same spot one year before him.

Huberdeau got a 2-year bridge for $3.2M (AG is signed for $2.8M). This year Huberdeau starts a 6 year contract worth $5.9M/yr.

I would expect Galchenyuk to be offered and to agree to a roughly $6M/yr longterm contract. Fair for both sides.

—–

• bwoar says:

This post is not controversial enough. I demand disgruntlement! This sensible comparision leaves me thoroughly gruntled. The humanity!

• Dust says:

The fact that the salary cap most likely will stay flat should help MB in negotiations

• knob says:

I feel that would be a fair contract for AG. Shouldn’t hamstring their cap position too much.

in all thy sons command

• Mark C says:

If you look at Huberdeau’s production before signing the long-term contract, it matches up closely to Alex in terms of per game averages. Alex scoring goals at a higher rate but Huberdeau with more points per game. This should be a great comp for both sides.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Forsberg same draft 6 years 6 million per. I would expect the same offer too but I don’t expect it.

BTW we don’t even know if he wants to sign long term here with this GM. Does he want to give this GM the power to send him anywhere like his buddy PK? Who knows…

26. Ozmodiar says:

If the play the other night was really incontrovertibly offside, would it take 4 minutes to see the evidence? Would there still many people who still believe the play was onside?

Bonus question: If Crosby scored, would the goal have counted?
    (keep in mind the ‘war room’ boss is Colin Campbell)

• bwoar says:

If was offside, it doesn’t matter how many people want to believe that it wasn’t.

• Habby_Haberton says:

It was no goal – offside…why are people still talking about it?

• Claude Kane III says:

Personally I could do without video reviews of offsides altogether, which we only have because one linesman had a brainfart and Duchene was allowed to score a goal while being ridiculously offside. But yeah, if the call on the ice was a goal, then I’m yet to see an angle that shows the play was definitely offside. It could have been offside, but you can’t really tell so the goal should have stood.

I’ve never really understood the logic of the “skate staying on the ice” part of the offside rule either. Who cares if the skate is in the air? His body hasn’t fully crossed the line. Wouldn’t it be easier to make the call if it was just a matter of determining if a player is fully across the blue line rather than trying to figure out if a skate blade is on or off the ice?

Up and Atom!

• Dust says:

It didn’t matter who scored. It wouldn’t have counted.

27. Max_a_million says:

Apparently one isn’t allowed to have an opinion on this site unless they have more money in the NHL than John Scott. Might as well take the thing down now it seems. There will be no disagreeing with John Scott allowed apparently.

This includes you Mario Tremblay, seeing as how you made far less money than John Scott playing hockey.

#JohnScottsucks#nhlallstargameisajoke#kissmewherethesundontshine

28. bwoar says:

“Subban’s goal should have counted”

=

“Her new boyfriend just isn’t treating her right, mom”

29. Mavid says:

129

Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

30. ooder says:

it seems MB is taking the PK Subban road with Chucky

step 1) crap all over him publicly
    step 2) lowball him during his RFA contract negotiations (because you just crapped on him)
    step 3) sign him to short term low $ amount because he has to prove himself
    I guess now we can expect chuky to break out, demand a huge pay raise and get traded for an older, but more “hate to lose-ness” nick bonino

——————
    It’s nice that MB got players who hate to lose.
    If only he also got some that could do something about it

• Dust says:

did i miss something?

• ooder says:

not really.
        it’s just MB’s end of year interview pretty much blaming Chucky and Bealieu for their lack of success. Then claiming we don’t have an centers.

Seems all very familiar

——————
        It’s nice that MB got players who hate to lose.
        If only he also got some that could do something about it

• Loop_G says:

I haven’t seen any of those things actually happen though.

• bwoar says:

Step 4) pay him at least 2M more than makes any logical sense

• mrhabby says:

have never heard him crap over him publically.

• ooder says:

going to clarify something.
      although crap all over him publicly may have been an exaggeration, MB clearly does not believe (or is acting like he doesn’t believe) that 27 can be a future #1 (or at least #2) center.
      Instead of saying we will work on 27’s development he pretty much states it’s 27s fault for where he is.
      Of course this is partially true, but it also didn’t help that for 5 years he was deployed as a winger under a coach who said that the NHL is not for development
      ——————
      It’s nice that MB got players who hate to lose.
      If only he also got some that could do something about it

31. Thomas Le Fan says:

The NHL needs to look at the offside rule. That call the other night was ridiculous. The linesman, only human, had it right despite the overturning. It was extremely close but anyway, they should make the rule like the NFL reception rule. Both feet have to be in. And no challenges except for whether the puck is in or not.

It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. – Mark Twain

• Dust says:

The linesman was wrong hence why it was overturned.
      Should the rule be changed. absolutely.

• mrhabby says:

Would this have happened in a World Series or Super Bowl. NHL is so bush league some times. It changed the course of the game for awhile. Stupid..

• joeybarrie says:

Should have been a goal. However, its hard to argue when the rule is the rule. The coaches wanted to be able to challenge and when the puck goes over the line or not, they wanted to be able to be 100% accurate. So its difficult to now turn around and decide they want something different.
      Its like the puck over boards rule. No one likes it, but every player on the opposing team immediately points it out when it happens.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

How do you judge “puck possession” anyway? You can’t put your hands around a puck. That shouldn’t even be a factor IMO. Is the puck ahead of you (should be the last skate boot IMO) or not. That simple. This would be a simple freeze-frame analysis.

32. Hammer says:

Not that MB reads our diatribes but here is my 2 bits. GO YOUNG!!

Rid your self of the entire fourth line keep MM. Rid yourself of #14, rid yourself of EE on D, Markov( though he must be commended on his putting up with 15 years of mediocrity). Replace with young D from the farm or juniors. Bring up Hudon and the Russian winger, and let the chips fall where they will. Only sign Price for three years max, or yell at me if you want trade him for picks and a centre. Be prepared to miss the playoffs while these folks develop. Let #27 run wild!! If you don’t and I hate to say this, yuo will be chasing and nashing your teeth at the Leafs for the next 10 years or so.
    In all rationality, would you rather keep being mediocre and lose in the first round, or tank, develop and give yourself a real chance.

• Dust says:

We could be bad for like 10 years. maybe more. maybe never be good again.

• knob says:

Look at all the young players that are/were playing in the playoffs. Part of the cap era – load up on as many superstars and fill the rest of your roster with guys on entry level contracts and RFAs.

Montreal needs to lose the mantra of hanging onto the overpriced vets just because the “kids” can’t hack the NHL or need to “earn their place”.

in all thy sons command

• Dust says:

Well look at arizona. look at colorado. look at buffalo. Those teams have allready been bad for awhile. Those teams are full of young talent. Going young doesn’t mean you will be good. not at all.

• knob says:

Agreed. A team still needs a good core of vets. Keep Max, Weber, Price, Petry but make room for the young guys (the talented ones). Look at Pit and Chi. Both good examples.

in all thy sons command

33. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Reading about Chucky below. The issue with him is his contract. He is 2 years from UFA. MB has to commit to him long term or trade him. Since he doesn’t have a top-6 center, pretty sure MB is looking to deal him for one (preferably with a contract). If MB didn’t waste Chucky’s 1st contract year on the lockout season or if he signed him long term (like Gally), he wouldn’t be looking to move a 30 goal scorer with a good cap hit.

• bwoar says:

Still gonna put down 2$ that he’s a top-six centre for the CH by the end of the year. I can’t see this going any other way.

I’ll take your 2 bucks.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree, Galchenyuk is a top-6 centre.

He’ll get signed to whatever is the going rate for a player of his calibre.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The problem is the GM and coach don’t think he’s a center.

• bwoar says:

You guys still wrinigng your hands from a couple comments post-season?

• Gerry Pigeon says:

I agree with the GM and coach, Chucky’s not a center.

Chucky should be traded for a center, as the Habs need one desperately. But I do wish that his history wasn’t so cantankerous, and Chucky could be kept as a grade A sniper/winger at a reasonable cap hit, but that ship has sailed.

Habs need a major overhaul, back end just keeps aging while the front end can’t find enough goals. MB won’t be the one to do it, not his style, and trying to do so would blow up in his face at this point. One more year, last chance, and MB’s gone after that, new GM to pick up the pieces.

Patrick Roy, start thinking about what moves you want to make.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

They were not just a couple of comments. They were pretty adamant. There were multiple follow-up questions after.

• knob says:

So MB should trade him? He will trade him for a couple of puds and a #6 defenceman. Following the trade he will comment that it is impossible to acquire top 6 centres. See the irony?

MB and CJ have to commit to Galchenyuk. He has played great with Max in the past. He and Radulov get too cute with the puck and shouldn’t play together.

in all thy sons command

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I am just predicting what is going to happen not what I think should happen.

• knob says:

I hear ya. I don’t trust MB when it comes to trades, unless it is for bottom end roster players. I would be afraid that they would trade Chucky for a line 2 type player that is more of a 200 foot player.

We all love the 200 foot player (and this team has them in spades) but every team needs a few guys that focus more on the offensive side of the puck.

Anyway, I hope that you are dead nuts wrong and that MB keeps him around to see what the new coach can do with him.

in all thy sons command

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, reunite Patches Galchenyuk and Gallagher, or bring up Sherbak and see how he does with them. He appears to be the kind of player who is at his best with other elite players. Keep them together for the pre-season. Then have Lehkonen, Danault and Rads. If Hudon could fill the 2nd line centre role, I would be happy. I think his vision and offence would bring more out of Rads and Lehkonen.

Then they could move Danault to the 3rd line with Byron and Shaw
        and then Carr, McCarron, and ?

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

Hit send too soon. If Sherbak sticks, then either he or Gallagher as the 1st or 3rd line right wing, bumping Byron to the 4th line right wing.
          Patches, Galchenyuk, Sherbak/Gallagher
          Lehkonen, Hudon/Danault, Rads
          Shaw, Danault/Mitchell, Gallagher/Sherbak
          Carr, McCarron, Byron

Habfan17

• knob says:

I don’t see Scherbak sticking, yet but would like to see Hudon with the team this year. It might be a bit of an interesting (defensively) year if Galchenyuk and Hudon were the one-two punch up the middle but, long-term, it would pay dividends.

in all thy sons command

• Habfan17 says:

@knob. Not sure if Sherbak is ready either, but only one way to know, give him a chance with talented line mates. It could be very interesting if Gal27 and Hudon were the top 2 centres. To your point above, have a strong core, Patches, Weber, Rads, Gallagher, Letry and add in some young talented players.

Habfan17

34. Ozmodiar says:

Subban’s E:60 video now on TSN.ca, if anyone’s interested in that sort of thing.

35. Cal says:

Need a read of almost biblical proportions?
    Tonight’s Book of 17.

36. BCHab says:

Amen! I agree totally about Galchenyuk. Leave the poor (well, he’s not POOR) kid alone and let him grow into the great player he is.

• Captain aHab says:

Be interesting to see what Julien can do with him for a full training camp and year. If they don’t trade him.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

• Loop_G says:

Yes, He’s still 2 or 3 years away from reaching his peak in terms of skill, and adding maturity as well. I think we would regret losing him.

37. habs001 says:

Some of the posts regarding Galchenyuk i just do not get…He has improved every year..scored 30 goals last year and was on pace for 70+ points this year before his injuries…23 years old…Based on his predicted potential before the draft he has not under performed..He had a poor finish to his season but he has to be given the benefit of doubt due to his injuries…Based on his age and scoring he has shown this is the type of player you just do not trade….

• bwoar says:

I agree, though I do have a reservation and that’s the pressing need at centre. I hope the kid can be put there for a full year next year. I think it’d be crazy to trade him this summer, short of some other GM losing their mind and giving us the Moon.

38. haloracer18 says:

Galchenyuk, 1st, 3rd round picks for Ovechkin.

• habs001 says:

Terrible trade for the Habs…32 years old in Sept…Showing signs of slowing down… huge cap hit…Habs roster not talented enough that he would put you over the top…

• The_Rocket_Returns says:

Yup. The carriage is about to turn into a pumpkin on him.

Also, if PK was such a cancer for helping sick children without telling management about it, what would they do with a guy who campaigns for Putin and encourages Russian kids to go fight in Ukraine?

… Koivu to Zednik to Kovalev …

• Habfan17 says:

Patches for Ovechkin I would do, if Bergevin could trade Beaulieu to the Devils and sign Kovulchuk, and then resign Rads. They would have to get someone to take Pleks and Emelin and get Markov to take a big home town discount.

Habfan17

• Loop_G says:

Way too much cap hit especially considering the difference in performance between the two – We would lost Patches contribution and have to ditch another player as well.

• Habfan17 says:

The Habs have money to spend to bring in a free agent.
          With Emelin, Patches, Beaulieu and Pleks off the books, there would be $16 million off the books, plus the space they already have. They will also be letting some of the 3rd and 4th line players go. Replace then with young players like McCarron, JDR, Sherbak, Hudon, and it is doable. Bergevin might even be able to get the Caps to eat part of Ovechkin’s salary.

Habfan17

• mrhabby says:

never happen then again they did trade Roy, Chelios, Subban etc.

39. DipsyDoodler says:

I hate all teams with yellow uniforms.

There, I said it.
    —–

40. Habby_Haberton says:

Gotta say….I’m pretty pi$$ed that the Habs only draft 25th after a 1st rd exit…dumb rule. The only thing to look forward to after getting the boot is a good pick and at 25 we won’t be blessed with more than a 3rd liner most likely.

Grumpily yours,
    Habby.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Just take a a center in all rounds.

Why not.

• Captain aHab says:

I could totally get behind this but the Habs won’t do it because they know they have zero ability to identify centers. I’m willing to bet they will draft another d-man in the first round. It’s like crack to them.

—————-
        Drop da puck already!

41. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Cap frozen. Doesn’t look like the players are going to trigger the escalator because they are getting killed by escrow. McPhee is going to make a killing taking on bad contracts.

• Le Revenant says:

It’s going to mess up UFA players whose contract is up this July, and won’t have much room upward to negotiate new deals. This was one of the reasons the NHLPA membership swallowed hard every year and, despite getting killed by escrow, went along with the escalators.

The good thing for players with existing deals is, they’ll receive closer to the stated value of their contract, not a deflated amount, since the 2017 contracts aren’t going to take such a big slice of the pie.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

If Habs leave Plekanec exposed (which they should) he’s gone. Vegas can absorb that contract for one year.

I have a bad feeling Radulov will end up in Vegas as well

42. Arnold 56-79 says:

unfreaking believable!

The hockey media have equalled the Political media with their ‘fake news.’

I get the Pavolovian reflex sympathy for the underdog. It is as expected as anything, in every sport.

And the indirect route of critiquing the Habs over the Weber trade. The MTM (Mostly Toronto Media) invariably pander that way. And laughably, Don Cherry was literally getting misty eyed about Subban’s greatness after years and years of explicit and veiled contempt for the player and his persona.

But last time I looked, Nashville imploded and surrendered three goals in as many minutes. A sign of a championship team?

so what about those 37 minutes in limbo for the Pens? just about every team with a comfortable lead eases off to some degree. the losing team always tries to mount a furious comeback. A script that is the most expected and as predictable as the next twenty Fast and Furious movies. the losing team always ‘looks good’ because of desperation and the subconscious conservatism of the leading team. Sure there are many variations of degree and depth, but it’s pretty common. Not necessarily smart, but just a verifiable pattern.

The Subban disallowed goal was just part of the game. At least it had the benefit of being replayed and studied. Far better than one of the many goals that later on are proven to be illegal for various reasons. remember Dallas winning tne Cup illegally? even Henri Richard’s Cup winning goal in 1966 overtime could have used a replay. as well as hundreds or thousands of goals allowed or disallowed without a second look.

if Nashville became deflated over this then it speaks to lack of leadership, experience or fortitude.

Last time i looked, Pittsburgh are a veteran championship team. part of theor DNA is making timely, clutch plays. they did it when up against the wall in elimination games the pre ious two rounds. they did it after the 37 minute shotless interlude. why focus on that, not their three goals in three minutes and momentum crushing winner?

if the rested Preds couldn’t take advantage of a fatigued team and blew a tidal wave of momentum then they hardly deserved to win. And give the Pens credit for actually scoring more goals, stopping more shots and winning the game.

Sorry for the poor formatting. Using an ancient iPad that has become a remedial brick!

• PONCH says:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Well, kinda, sorta, ok not really. No way I could have been so eloquent. Agree 100%.

Thanks for the excellent post. Will be interesting to see if there is any pushback to your comment. Shouldn’t be but will be interesting nonetheless

To be a Hockey Fan is to be a Habs Fan

• bwoar says:

Exactly. Especially:

“Naive fans and media look superficially, using stats to butress a predetermined storyline. Comforting consolation that ignores the real bottom line. Winning or losing. When a game or series is on the line check the heart and will of rhe teams and throw everything else in tne garbage.”

That also speaks very sharply towards our (well, most of our) favourite team.

Hardly ever bother to read here anymore. Glad I read this post.

CHeers Arnold.

43. PK says:

Subban’s goal should have counted.
    If a player is offside by one cm, for one tenth of a second and the eye test does not pick it up, shouldn’t any resultant goal be allowed?
    Apparently not.

Cynical me says that the goal would have counted if it was Crosby.

One more thing, it doesn’t really matter who wins this year’s Stanley Cup.

Two things matter:

1. It is not the Habs.

2. Habs are not an elite NHL team.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• PONCH says:

Then why do you care enough to post and pull the I love P.K. card if it’s Not the Habs?

To be a Hockey Fan is to be a Habs Fan

• bwoar says:

Illegally scored goals shouldn’t count, period. If I interfere with the goaltender and the ref misses it, should it count? If I throw it in with my hand and the ref misses it, should it count?

Or is it just when PK scores an illegal goal?

The amount of moaning on this site over a correct call… blargh.

44. Captain aHab says:

That bell is getting a workout at Saputo Stadium.

—————-
    Drop da puck already!

45. Luke says:

Two poems have truly moved me in my life. More than any others…

If by Kipling.
    Still I Rise by Angelou.

46. Habfan17 says:

DDO_Habs_Fan said;

“Pleks is not going anywhere IMO. MB needs centers and is terrible at acquiring them. Also you can get something for Pleks at the deadline. MB is not giving him away or paying to give him away.”

Pleks will not get much if anything at the deadline, especially if he puts up numbers like he did last season. Add in the lack of production at the World cup this spring, 0 points in 8 games.

Sometimes to get rid of a contract to make room for another, you add incentives to get that contract moved. Make a trade of Hudon for a 7th round pick to entice them to take Pleks. Then trade Emelin for whatever they can get.

Habfan17

• Captain aHab says:

Pretty sure we’ll be stuck with Pleks for the full year next year. My fear is that he may get re-upped because MB can’t get centers. We’ll be told about all these little things we don’t notice (aside from him not scoring that is) that prevent the other team from scoring and how that contributes to reaching the goal of the ever-elusive 0 to -1 win. He’ll be a bit pricey at $5M per year for 5 years but MB will explain that he has character and gave us a home town discount for sooooooo many years.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

• Habfan17 says:

I sadly admit, I think you are right. Pleks was a solid player for the Habs, but last year was the time to move him. Now, unless someone needs a centre for depth due to injury, I think he will be a Hab until his contract expires. Then I hope they do not resign him.

Habfan17

• Loop_G says:

I have no problem signing Pleks again if his contract matches his play. He would be a great defensive centre still but I doubt he will take a contract such as the habs would need him to take.

There was no way trade him last year unless they got another centre back, and the price would likely have been high.

• Le Revenant says:

That’s the dirty little lie that no one wants to broach: we’re so weak at centre that we can’t “get rid” of Tomas, we’re going to need him next season, diminished as he is, having no other realistic option. And I include John Tavares and Leon Draisaitl as not being realistic options.

• Habfan17 says:

Completely agree. I don’t think trading Galchenyuk is a good idea, unless there is something about him that we are not aware of. Beaulieu won’t get a Draisaitl or Tavares. If Bergevin could get Kovulchuk, then I would say trade Patches for a centre. Then they may be able to get Bennett out of Calgary, or Strome out of Phoenix, of course, they would have to add something with Patches to get one of them.

Habfan17

• Loop_G says:

I’m not sure how that is a secret, and pretty much everyone is talking about it, but yeah.

• The Big E says:

By “dirty little lie” do you mean that the truth is actually that we could trade Tomas away and still survive at centre?

I thought Danault did a fairly decent job filling in on the top line last season, and if we go into the next season with him as one of the two top centres I won’t be unhappy.

The real question is whether or not Galchenyuk will develop into a top-line centre. We’re trying so hard to have him turn into “the next Peter Mahovlich”, but really … is it so bad if we just sigh loudly and say “okay Alex … go off and be the Next Guy Lafleur instead”? He can fill the spot left when Radulov signs elsewhere.

People say Shaw can play centre … do we let him have a go and earn that contract? Our kids and current veterans can fill out the #3 and #4 spots. Hmm …

• Loop_G says:

Pleks can easily get 2nd round pick at the deadline if they keep him, just look at what happened at the last trade deadline to see. That is one fact in favor of Vegas grabbing him, a veteran that can help them get on track and then bring an extra draft pick. The bigger problem is they cannot replace him with that contract on the books and they cannot trade him if they don’ have a replacement. If Gallchenyuk can be centre #1, and Danault #2, they still need a young guy to be able to move up to replace him, either DLR or Hudon really are the only options unless they find room to sign a 2nd tier centre like Sam Gagner.

47. Luke says:

Beers, eh?

What an interesting concept. Worthy of some pursuit, I believe.

48. Don Birnam says:

PK, Catfish, toe on the ice,blah,blah…
    What about the rigged system of OLG?
    Those buggers are taking around 20% Juice on every ticket!
    And how do they say thank you to me?
    They raised the price of my smokes!
    That’s it.
    I’m mad.
    I will show No Mercy when I bring The Man down!

49. DipsyDoodler says:

One of my peeves with video review is this “overturning the call on the ice” clause.

If you go to review, review the evidence. Period. Ignore what the zebras called at the time because they’re the worst in pro sports.

—–

• on2ndthought says:

Problem is: the officials last night got the call right; both of them. No way that entry was far enough offside to call without freeze-frame, high def, slo-mo. With the tech, it was offside.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I would like to see a photo or video posted on their site as evidence with the findings. If the tech is so good the decision should be quick by definition. Also how do you assess “nor did he have possession and control” on such a fast play? If you are looking at something for so long either your tech is not good enough or it is really debatable which means the ref’s call should stand. That exact play happens all the time.

Anyway they need to simplify the rule to make it easier to review. The obvious is to use the skate boot and not the skate blade. Forget this on-off ice ballerina blade BS. It is easy to distinguish the black boot from the white ice and boards. If the NFL can tell when a football in mid-air crosses a goal-line, the NHL can easily assess if a black boot has crossed a line. Also force the blades of the sticks to be white to help in puck assessment too. As a fan watching the game, the decision was not clear even after that long time so it lessened my viewing experience. Bettman wake up.

• Loop_G says:

Good does not mean, by definition, quick, and neither does technology so there is nothing in this situation that says it needs it needs to be accurate or quick “by definition”. Anyway it is still the call of a human, the tech only allows them to look at it from different angles.

There is always a human decision, and games have always been decided by missed or bad or controversial calls from time to time. In a case like this, a person, or a team of people, is doing the best they can to make a decision that is pretty much impossible to make, and will be controversial and debated no matter what.

• Curmudgeon says:

agree 100%. imagine how good hockey could be if refs were competent and/or honest.

50. punkster says:

Finally watched the game replay. Two good teams, a few lucky breaks, and a ridiculous 4 minutes span of brain farts lost, or won, the game.

PK played very well (really my only interest in this series so far) but I do like the way the entire 4 man D of the Preds handle things. Puck movement, shot blocking, possession, and great shots. Best in the business these days. A model the Habs should have the ability to emulate.

Maybe next season?

OKPK

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(punkster, what site do you go to for game replays?)

• punkster says:

First, I PVR the games I want to watch later. Second, Sportnet runs the playoff game replays the next day. Third…if I lived in Ireland i wouldn’t waste a perfect sunny day on anything but golf (or a rainy day for that matter). Get out there!

I gave up trying to watch web linked games due to the crazy amount of virus attacks and choppy feeds.

OKPK

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Haha! Those sunny days are rare here, even in summer, so you’re absolutely right. I don’t golf, but I cycle to work and walk the hound.

(Also I’m less compelled to watch since the Habs’ exit, but like you my primary interest in this year’s SCF is PK.)

(I tried to whisper that — let’s see if it worked.)

51. haberoo13 says:

Shockingly, P. McGuire is defending the league and the call reversal on 690
    Death, Taxes and Pierre being a Pens cheerleader

Haberoo13
    MAAAA!!!! THE MEATLOAF!!!!!

• joeybarrie says:

That’s the problem with the coaches challenge. Everyone wanted something for when the puck goes in the net (or doesn’t), and to be able to fight for a review. But on a play like that you can get as technical as you possibly can.
      Should have been a good goal. But the rule is the rule. Takes away from the hockey aspect of the game. Just like when the defense flips the puck out and they call a penalty. No one in hockey likes the rule, but they never hesitate to point it out when it happens to the other team…

• haberoo13 says:

My complaint is that I just don’t see that replay was conclusive to overrule the goal call.

Haberoo13
      MAAAA!!!! THE MEATLOAF!!!!!

52. sakuknows says:

Every single time I see Gomez’s name, I can’t help but think Ryan McDonough. SIGH!!!

Lots of us complain about the PK trade (rightfully so) but the Gomez deal was far more lopsided and impact-full.

• 3 points for a win says:

Sakuknows I agree with you. When I first heard that Gainey had traded for Gomez, I had no idea who McDonough was, my heart sank and I knew that this move had put the Canadiens back 5 years. At that time Gainey had huge amount available in the salary cap and he blew it all on 1 player. I really don’t know what Gainey saw in him.

53. Loop_G says:

How did MB miss out on the “Scott Gomez for assistant coach” sweepstakes?

54. haberoo13 says:

OK 3 weeks to what is unfortunately becoming our exciting week every year
    What would you give Vegas to take Pleks or Emelin?
    Habs 4th rounder in 2018 for Vegas 7th rounder?

Haberoo13
    MAAAA!!!! THE MEATLOAF!!!!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Given that it is Vegas, I’d make them some sort of gambling related offer.

Say, spin a roulette wheel and where it lands determines the pick we give you.

—–

• Loop_G says:

Pleks, not Emelin. To replace Emmy you need to spend 3 or 3.5 million at least, not worth it. Pleks I would work something out, throw in Davidson and a pick?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I would be surprised if MB can’t move Emelin without. Not taht expensive for one season. If can’t move him, left-over orange tanning oil?

• Habfan17 says:

Pleks is not worth much at the deadline, especially if he puts up similar numbers to this past season.

Habfan17

• The_Rocket_Returns says:

The cap hit doesn’t matter much for next year, and it’s only for one more year. Forget about his salary and he’s a decent bottom-six center. I can live with that. (Not very happily, but not unhappily, either.)

… Koivu to Zednik to Kovalev …

55. CowanS says:

I’ll come back when I have more time to waste. Speaking of cat fish, I’m going mud pouting this weekend.

• The_Rocket_Returns says:

Something to reflect upon while you’re out in the mud:

Beaulieu and Weber had the highest 5-on-4 goals-per-60 rate of any power play pairing with more than a few games together *in the last seven years* in the NHL.

Yet the Habs, whose power play was otherwise bad, refused to use them together except when Markov was injured.

There. That’s my thing. Happy to talk about it anytime between now and PK winning the Cup 🙂

… Koivu to Zednik to Kovalev …

56. CowanS says:

Lol. What’s wrong with this place? Here I am. I just want to talk hockey. Sorry I left, work got in the way .

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thank goodness.

Please ignore the catfish discussion. Unfortunately there is a small but tenacious frivolous element here among the serious posters. They’ve already been sternly spoken to several times for over-celebrating being the first to post on a new page.

• sakuknows says:

Learn to prioritize man. H i/o over everything! LOL

57. Dunboyne Mike says:

Guys, you know I love you but…

Within 5 minutes of a nervous new poster declaring himself and timidly inquiring about the parameters of our discussions, YOU MORPH THE THREAD into a discussion of the Pittsburgh catfish.

What’s wrong with you?

And look around: has CowanS posted since?

58. jols says:

What a weird game last night. Besides the obvious ( the Pens being one win closer to the Cup ), last nights game did nothing for me in terms of trying to figure out which team is better.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey jols. Weird is definitely the word.

Sullivan will be saying, “We got the bad game out of our system and still won. We are destiny’s team.”

Laviolette: “We had the champs on the ropes in their own house on a night when Pekka sucked. Victory is ours.”

Both plausible, right?

• Luke says:

Definitely a weird one.

But, I suppose Nashville played a very good game mostly, at times excellent, and lost. The Pens played a historically poor game and won.

I don’t think Pittsburgh will be that bad again.

Advantage Pittsburgh, I would have to say.