Jean Béliveau on To Tell The Truth

screen-capture

Wonderful find by Habs fan Vassilios Bantourakis: Canadiens great Jean Béliveau, in 1957 just four years into his NHL career, on the American game show To Tell The Truth.

When Béliveau leaves the set at the end of the clip, you’ll see he’s wearing sweater No. 22, in fact worn that season by Donnie Marshall, while the third contestant wears Béliveau’s No. 4.

1. JackMurph says:

I came upon this last night on Dave Stubbs’ Twitter account and couldn’t believe it.

The reason this blew me away is that contestant #3, Guy Gignac, was my uncle and this “To Tell The Truth” episode was part of family lore for me growing up but I had never seen it.

Thank you once to Mr. Bantourakis for finding it and Mr. Stubbs for posting it.

It was also part of family lore because my uncle actually played one year of junior hockey with Jean Beliveau with the Citadelles de Quebec where he was also teammates and friends with Camille Henry.

Guy Gignac was property of the New York Rangers and after a couple of years playing in the Maritimes and seeing he couldn’t crack the Rangers lineup, he quit hockey, moved to New York City speaking very little English and carved a nice career and raised a family living in NYC for the rest of his life.

He sadly passed away in 2010.

Once again thank for posting this.

2. Stev.R says:

Thanks, Geritol

Who is Vassilios Bantourakis?? Thanks so very much for this! I had never seen it.
    What is your Avatar name on HIO??
    Mr Boone, who is he?

4. L Elle says:

Amazing find. Hilarious.

Our Beliveau could’ve been a movie star. He’s Gorgeous!

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I used to frequently watch To Tell The Truth when young, but never watched this one with Gros Bill
    …what a treat Dave
    …if My foggy mind remembers correctly, was there not another TTTT with Maurice “The Rocket” ?
    …hard to believe the ‘celebrities’ could not immediately recognize Jean

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

6. frankcasting says:

holy smokes this is priceless. absolutely priceless. thank you.

Loving the Habs since 1965