Jean Béliveau continues encouraging comeback

Jean Béliveau

Canadiens great Jean Béliveau in his Forum dressing-room following a 1960s hat trick. He’s borrowed Toe Blake’s fedora for the photo.
David Bier Studios, Gazette files

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

Canadiens legend Jean Béliveau continues to make encouraging progress at Montreal General Hospital following a stroke he suffered at home last Monday evening.

Élise Béliveau, the wife of the 80-year-old Hall of Famer, said Monday morning that “we’re keeping our fingers crossed” as doctors express happiness with the recovery of the former Canadiens captain.

“He slept like a log all day (Sunday),” said Élise Béliveau, whose husband is expected to begin speech and physical therapy as early as Monday. “He’s getting some of the rest he didn’t get the past week.”

She added that Canadiens chief surgeon David Mulder was very pleased with Béliveau’s condition during a weekend visit.

And if there were any doubts as to the sharpness of Béliveau’s mind, those were erased Sunday when his daughter, Hélène, asked her father about the whereabouts of a file at home and he immediately directed her to it on a shelf in his home office.

For now, Béliveau is seeing just family. But Habs Hall of Famer and former teammate Dickie Moore, a dear friend, has dropped in a couple times.

“Compared to the first time I saw Jean (last week), my visit Sunday was like night and day,” said Moore, who’s as much a brother to Béliveau as he is a friend.

“He looks very, very good. It’s unbelievable.”

Cards and letters wishing Béliveau well continue to arrive at the couple’s home and at Canadiens offices. Many more are being sent online, those to be forwarded to the Habs great in due course.

While the family profoundly appreciates the outpouring of concern and affection being expressed from literally around the world, they ask that their privacy be respected as Béliveau continues on the road to recovery.

Go here to send your get-well wishes to Jean Béliveau online.

1. durocher says:

Very exciting game in Winnipeg — the crowd is really into it and is giving it to Miller.

THIS is why hockey is in Winnipeg. You’d think it was a playoff game based on the crowd’s reaction.

2. naweed235 says:

I know I am beating a dead horse but anyone care to tell me why this line up is not a possibility for next season and why it won’t be a contender?

Gionta – Getzlaf – Parise
    Cole – DD – Patch
    Bourque – Pleks – Moen
    Artyukhin – White – Darche
    Staubitz

Markov – Emelin
    PK – Gorges
    O’brien – Engelland
    Diaz

Eller,Webber, 1st round pick traded to Ducks for Getzlaf
    Artyukhin brought over from the KHL
    Parise signed for 6 yrs – $ 7M

You want scoring depth, tough and gritty bottom 6 and a solid D line?
    well u better start chanting Naweed for GM for the remaining following home games :)

• Bob_Sacamano says:

No, it´s not because Parise wouldn´t sign here for starters. Getzlaf is overrated btw and not worth Eller, Weber + a Top 5 pick and why do you like LW on the right and RW on the left so much?

• naweed235 says:

you are reading it the wrong way :D
        plus if you think any team will trade a better C than Getzlaf for what i am offering then by all means please share it with us

• Max says:

We are all hoping to get a great player via our hopefully top 5 pick and you want to trade it away along with one of our good young players in Eller for Getzlaf?? No thanks. We need to develop our own young players through the draft.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I agree though that “Huberdeau for our top pick” idea is tempting to be honest…

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Getzlaf trumps any draft pick, Eller is a plugger, Weber is useless to the Habs, may work out on a bigger D core.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

People always go crazy about Getzlaf because he´s 6´4. He hasn´t scored 20 goals since 2009 and his point total has also been declining. I can only imagine what would be written here about our top 1 center Getzlaf who makes 5.3m when he has 9 goals after 66 games. No thanks, I´d rather get the chance to have a real superstar in a couple of years and Eller is much more than a plugger. He´s still young and with a decent head coach and some capable wingers he´ll look much better next season,

Diaz/Weber need both to be playing with a big, experienced d-man. Put any one of them on the third D with a guy like Bryan Allen and they´ll be fine.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

OK, change Getzlaf’s name for Eric Staal. Also, I am a big supporter of Allen, a plus player with Florida and Carolina during his career, big, responsible, stay at home Dman.. but will prob command a “Kaberle type deal.”

• neumann103 says:

I am a big booster of Lars Eller and while not as positive on Weber I have repeatedly posted that he is better than most think, is still developing and has upside with a low price tag. even given that I don’t think that package gets anywhere near getting you Getzlaf.

Parise is certainly affordable if you bury the Gomez salary, but I have to believe that he wants to go to a contender or at least a market where he isn’t attacked in the street by rabid fans.

“Et le but!”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

That team WOULD contend, and for years! I’d subtract O’Brien and add Brian Allen… also, where is Kaberle?

Parise would be the teams first legitimate 30 goal scorer since V Damphousse! Getzlaf could center a great line with Parise and Gionta, they could score 80-90 goals. DD, Cole, Patch could easily score 60. That would be a high scoring team.

• naweed235 says:

ya I forgot… During the party I put on celebrating my position as a GM, Gomez clubbed Kaberle in the head by mistake thinking he was hitting the pinata … Gomez got 2 years in jail

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Whatever the offer for Getzlaf, i’d offer the same to CAR for Staal, be happy with either of those two. I am a big supporter of trading a lottery pick in a package for a True Number One.

• SlovakHab says:

Keep Eller, trade Plekanec for Getzlaf instead – that’s what I’d do anyway.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It’d be nice to Have Plek (while being overpaid at that position) play in a 3rd line role for the next 8 years leading an impressive PK!

• naweed235 says:

ya I honestly think those 2 are pretty much interchangeable at this point… Although I still think that Pleks will be more valuable to the Habs for the next 2 years at least

• Cal says:

Dreaming up a scenario where Parise comes to Montreal is just fantasyland. Same with Artyukhin, O’Brien and Engelland. I mean, I’d be happy to see them on the team, but the probability is too low.

3. Flobomb12 says:

Saw on TSN that Leblanc is up playing on the 2nd line with Pleks and Bourque. Anyone know if that’s the case? If so I like to see us using the remaining games to give the young guys who will be the future the ice-time. Was glad to see Geoffrion called up but was rattled that Leblanc was the guy to go down. Having both up playing, getting ready to be major contributors is key

• Mattyleg says:

LL wasn’t getting the minutes here.
      Better to have him getting tons of 1st line minutes in Hamilton than 4-8 mins per game here.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. zorro says:

Cammalleri not dressing against the Habs tuesday night. I think this could give us a, chance.

Interesting conundrum. People talking about how the Habs shouldn’t let Markov play at the World Championships and rather wait for next season. Then others talk about Markov’s commitment to the team as proven by his new Canadian citizenship. So tell me. Which team is Markie thinking of suiting up for. Mother Russia or his new found home?

Maybe the whole citizenship thing was a neat ruse to get PG to sign the dotted line.

6. Toe Blake says:

I swear to God that if I owned this team I would get a dispensation from Gary Bettman to allow me to suit them up in the Habble Bee uniforms for the rest of the season. You want to play like clowns? Then by God you’ll dress like them! I might even put squirting flowers in place of the alternate captain letters!

7. novahab says:

I predicted Markov would be back palying in two weeks. He is now in contact practises and could play on this road trip. If he does, I was right for all the the people who doubted what I said. Next I will predict Roy will be named coach at the end of the season.

8. habstrinifan says:

TSN has ‘projected’ 2014 team for Canada as selected by Ferraro and Pierre McGuire. P.K makes the defense and Carey Price the goalie squad.

• Bill says:

Guess no-one told TSN the Olympics has shoot-outs.

Jokes! I honestly can’t think how he wouldn’t make the team in two years.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Dulljerk says:

Well, considering the best goaltenders in the league are not Canadian, you’re probably right. Probably him and James Riemer.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Since when? I saw the first installment of that 2014 projected squad, and everyone was unanimous about Carey Price being on and probably the starter, but not a peep was said about P.K. at all, he wasn’t even mentioned. Of course, his game has shaped up lately, but he’s still in a huge fight to make the team. Shea Weber, Tyler Myers, Drew Doughty, Alex Pieterangelo, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Kris Letang, Marc Staal, he’s got his work cut out for him. He better cut the crap and mouthing off and diving and concentrate on playing hockey for the next two years if he wants on.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

9. kholdstare says:

I was reading the Kerry Fraser article at TSN, check out the leaf fans delusions at the bottom about 93, its incredible to think that it was only a semifinal game and has no basis in reality. Yet they carry on like it was game 7 in a championship season.

Here is the link

• ffenliv says:

An important thing to remember is that people taking the time to post online are NOT average fans.

15 years from now, Habs fans raging about Chara’s hit on Max will be the Montreal equivalent of Leafs fans going off on Fraser. Die-hards, and people who care so much they post online, have trouble letting go.

• HardHabits says:

I watched that game. I am no Leafs fan. I laughed at the thought of an all-Canadian final but believe me that Leafs team would have given Montreal a run for its money. Nevertheless. The Leafs got jobbed. It was as blatant a non-call as I have ever seen. Fraser let it go because it was Gretzky. Anybody else clips Gilmour like that and it is a penalty.

But then again the Habs took the eventual Starley Cup Champians to game 7.

• kholdstare says:

There was also a nice slash to gretzky at the 0:12 mark of that clip HH, no one whining about that. Wonder why?

• HardHabits says:

You’re joking right? Slash! Try a little impartiality. That was a wiffle slash. It looked like he was blowing feathers in the wind. Slash. Hilarious.

• kholdstare says:

No more hilarious than they would have given them a run for their money. It’s typical fan behaviour is my point we only tend to see things a certain way. Much like that poor fellow from the cubs game, not really his fault they didnt win, but easy to blame.

Also why would I have to be impartial, I just merely suggested that there are other examples of non calls.

Furthermore I’m not sure why you are getting your leafs underwear in a bunch, did you like Ron wilson or something, or is it because someone called you out here tonite for not being all knowing.

Hilarious is you and your immaturity tonite.

• HardHabits says:

That play is as famous as Don Cherry’s too many men on the ice penalty.

As for the incident, I am impartial about it. And I rule Fraser screwed the pooch on that call.

• habsfan0 says:

If the Laffs had advanced to the Stanley Cup Final vs the Habs, it would have been Patrick Roy vs….Felix Potvin.

I’ll bet Roy would have been shaking in his skates at that prospect.

NOT!