Jean Béliveau continues encouraging comeback

Jean Béliveau

Canadiens great Jean Béliveau in his Forum dressing-room following a 1960s hat trick. He’s borrowed Toe Blake’s fedora for the photo.
David Bier Studios, Gazette files

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

Canadiens legend Jean Béliveau continues to make encouraging progress at Montreal General Hospital following a stroke he suffered at home last Monday evening.

Élise Béliveau, the wife of the 80-year-old Hall of Famer, said Monday morning that “we’re keeping our fingers crossed” as doctors express happiness with the recovery of the former Canadiens captain.

“He slept like a log all day (Sunday),” said Élise Béliveau, whose husband is expected to begin speech and physical therapy as early as Monday. “He’s getting some of the rest he didn’t get the past week.”

She added that Canadiens chief surgeon David Mulder was very pleased with Béliveau’s condition during a weekend visit.

And if there were any doubts as to the sharpness of Béliveau’s mind, those were erased Sunday when his daughter, Hélène, asked her father about the whereabouts of a file at home and he immediately directed her to it on a shelf in his home office.

For now, Béliveau is seeing just family. But Habs Hall of Famer and former teammate Dickie Moore, a dear friend, has dropped in a couple times.

“Compared to the first time I saw Jean (last week), my visit Sunday was like night and day,” said Moore, who’s as much a brother to Béliveau as he is a friend.

“He looks very, very good. It’s unbelievable.”

Cards and letters wishing Béliveau well continue to arrive at the couple’s home and at Canadiens offices. Many more are being sent online, those to be forwarded to the Habs great in due course.

While the family profoundly appreciates the outpouring of concern and affection being expressed from literally around the world, they ask that their privacy be respected as Béliveau continues on the road to recovery.

Go here to send your get-well wishes to Jean Béliveau online.

1. LA Loyalist says:

I see Markov is beginning his tune-up for the Worlds. Lucky Russia.

2. Bripro says:

Some buddies of mine were watching that Habs game online on saturday from Germany.
    They got bored and decided to be creative.
    This is worth a good laugh.

3. Toe Blake says:

Have we blown a two-goal lead yet this evening?

4. TheChangeling says:

I just watched MTL’s last game in the Forum for HNIC on my VCR. I used to watch this tape SOOO much growing up. I started watching the team one year later in 1997, when I was 8 years old. CBC did a nice job paying tribute to the legendary building that night. Dick Irvin… wow do I miss him!! What a voice, what a personality!!

Anyways, the Habs played the lowly Senators that night. Here we have a Jacques Martin coached, Randy Cunneyworth captained team. Very strange seeing this again. Neither of them had any connection with the Habs the last time I watched this tape. Odelein almost fought Cunneyworth in this game!! Mario Tremblay… well he was coach when I started watching, so I remember him… but wow was he always involved, very intense. I don’t think he was as bad a coach as some like to think. He’ll always have the dark cloud over him, but the passion was very much there. It was also fun watching my ultimate childhood hero play again… Jocelyn Thibault. A man thrown into a tough situation… much tougher than RC if you ask me!! Ahhhh… seeing Saku again! Stephane Quintal!! These Montreal teams weren’t exactly stellar, but they were my teams growing up, and some of these players were my heroes, and the Molson Canadian Hockey Night in Canada defined my Saturday nights here in good old northern Michigan.

Hockey Night in Canada was a different brew then too. Not nearly as centered around the “Centre of the Hockey Universe”. That dramatic music that use to play for the replays of other games going on that night. Forgot all about it!! It was also a great gesture when they handed the play by play duties to Dick Irvin for the last minute of the last HNIC game in the Forum. Good stuff. Once the Habs-Sens game ended the tape cut right to the pre-game ceremonies for the first game in the Molson Centre. I’m thankful my Dad taped this!!! I find watching this tape much more enjoyable than watching what’s going on in this season. Admit it, if the Habs went 0-82, many of you would still be watching the games, just like me.

Montreal beat Ottawa 3-2 that night, even though the Habs had a 3-0 lead well into the 3rd. Not too much has changed since I’ve been a fan, hey?

• LA Loyalist says:

Try and hear some vintage Danny Gallivan play by play, or even Foster Hewitt for the Leafs. You will have a lot of fun.

Luckily you are young, there is time for you to enjoy great Habs teams — for some of us vintage guys…. nous allons j’us q’au bout!

• kholdstare says:

Did you get expressed written consent?

• habstrinifan says:

Best Danny Gallivan call in my opinion:… Boston/Montreal game with the too many men on the ice and Cherry standing on the players’ bench.

“Lafleur rather gingerly”. As a habs fan watching that game that’s exactly how the moment was…

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t mean this in a mean way at all, but I feel sorry for you, growing up with that team as your idols.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

If you haven’t seen it. Goon was awesome. I laughed. I cried. I spit out a bloody tooth.

• HabFab says:

Heh, that wasn’t me!!

• LA Loyalist says:

I watched it online from Amazon for $9.99 – totally worth it, though I’d love to see it in the theatre. The “LaFlamme” character I’m sure has special resonance for Habs fans.

My only suggestion for anyone going to see it is to wear an adult diaper – you are guaranteed to pee yourself. :-)

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I thought the movie was alright, but more than laughing or crying, it made really want a “Moncton Lords” jersey.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
      – Sean Bonjovi

Bruins have signed Marty Turco. He needs to clear waivers though. I hope Toronto claims him.

If he does clear waivers, he will not be eligible to play in the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs (should the Bruins qualify). So he’s probably on board to play some regular season games in hopes of giving TT a rest before the big show.

7. Un Canadien errant says:

Let’s not take it for granted that Brian Burke tried to get Don Cherry fired. That’s a ridiculous claim. Don Cherry is not known as an orator who keeps a sense of proportion. It’s probable that Mr. Burke contacted the producer(s) of Hockey Night in Canada to complain about some aspects of the coverage the Leafs receive. As a ‘partner’ with the CBC, that’s allowable, since journalistic independence and integrity don’t exist in pro sports, the CBC is bound to promote the product that it sells. Critique will occur on the periphery and will be gentle. So Mr. Cherry probably has overreacted (gasp!) to some feedback he received from his bosses regarding their conversation with Brian Burke.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

8. HabFab says:

For all the nuts, that tall serious kid has his latest update out. For those just crazy, please continue as you were :)

9. habstrinifan says:

You have all scared the SH%$#@# outta me!!!

I cant get this outta my freakin mind now!

PG may actually be the HABS GM for the draft.

Out damn thought!

• TorontoHabsFan says:

You weren’t happy with the team’s last two drafts? I thought the team generally received pretty high marks for their selections.

None of us know what Molson is going to do, many of us would like to see Molson clean house on the Mgmt as you would. However, Molson cannot come out now and say I plan on firing Mr. Gauthier at seasons end. I think we all just have to be patient until the end of the season. There is nothing to be gained by firing PG now when a replacement is unlikely to be unemployed at the current time.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree but I am nervous after reading all the posts which seem to rationalize our DECLINE by going through a list of names and putting them on either side of a ledger. The accumulative effect of the negatives is getting lost.

• viper says:

did i hear markov took a full contact practice today if so that is good news for us

viper180

• HabFab says:

Molson is HH but don’t tell anyone…and his tank plan is for 2-3 years so PG will be back.

Sorry!!!!

Just ordered a Jets jersey online, thanks for the information Frank.

• HabFab says:

Remember mums the word…

• HardHabits says:

My lawyers will be contacting you. I mean. Mods!!! HabFab is hitting me again.

• HabFab says:

In my youth I was banned from a few sports leagues and a few bars but in my “mature” age have to be content with a blog banning!
            Growing old really really sucks! “sigh”

• HardHabits says:

Speaking of which. What ever happened to PuckBard? He and I had a running gag about how we were competing to get banned/account deleted first. Alas, we were no match for the true master Timo and his minions, the countless other Tony’s and habsradnauseums.

• jon514 says:

PG has not had good results as a pro scout:

A pro scout is a person who evaluates players currently in the NHL/AHL as potential trades and free agent signings. Pro scouts do not, or at least are not generally mandated to, scout amateurs as potentiel draft candidates. Between 2003-2010 Pierre Gauthier was responsible for the duties of director of pro-scouting.

Check out this great blog post for the entire history.

With the exception of signing Hamrlik, trading for Kovy and trading Rivet for Gorges and Patches, I’d say he pretty thoroughly pooped the bed.

Some that stuck out to me. Signing Samsonov. Trading Theo for Abischer. Who knows how much he had to do with the Gomez for Koivu era…
      “Let’s be clear on the facts…”

In listening to Bob Nicholson talk about how Hockey Canada and David Branch want to eliminate/reduce fighting in Junior Hockey one has to wonder what the ripple effects will be to the NHL.

I don’t think Hockey Canada is saying that they can eliminate it completely, but they do seem intent on trying to eliminate that player who has a roster spot for the sole purpose of fighting. I have not researched the numbers, but it is my observation that most of the typical “fighters” in the NHL were players who had this same role in the CHL. If indeed the CHL can weed out these type of players, what happens to that roleplayer in the NHL when the primary development league no longer employs this player?

I am not a proponent of fighting, but if I am being completely honest, I don’t have a problem with those emotional fights that break out, and I think specifically of an altercation like the one where Jarome Iginla and Vincent Lecavalier had their fight in the Cup Final years back.

I think if the CHL can eliminate this role player who fights to maintain his roster spot, this will eventually help eliminate this role in the NHL. I don’t see alot of these fighters in the NHL who played their development hockey in Europe or in the American Collegiate System.

I wonder if Bettman is worried that part of his WWE/UFC sideshow could soon be coming to an end, with him having little way of controlling this development. Good on Mr. Branch and Mr. Nicholson for starting the ball rolling on this topic.

• Not a fan of the Junior fights, too many are choreographed. I am a fan of the “you hit my best guy and you’re going down” rule though.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• TorontoHabsFan says:

The older I get, the more I cringe at the thought of cheering on a couple of 16 year olds punching each other in the face.

Exactly, and even worse when a 19 year old is pounding on a 16 or 17 year old. I have many friends who played Major Junior hockey, and a couple went into that league as scorers, and by year 2 in the Juniors became fighters. One friend in particular developed some very bad habits (drugs/alcohol) as a coping mechanism for this role which he never thought he would find himself in.

• LA Loyalist says:

… and those are the chicks.

• Bill says:

At some of the junior games I go to, when a fight breaks out they dim the lights, throw on a spot, and put up a fight! graphic on the jumbotron.

It’s cheesy as well as wrong.

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. LizardKing1967 says:

how do I change my Avatar again? I forgot the web site.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

12. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m glad to see the calls for Subban to be traded have subsided. If Ribeiro, Grabovski, and Sergei have taught us anything (and Kessel has taught Boston for that matter) it’s that shipping out talented young players because they’re young and stupid isn’t the smartest thing to do.

As Carey Price showed us, letting players grow up and mature can pay big dividends.

• SlovakHab says:

Boston got Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton for Phil Kessel, and it is a trade I would do any day of the week, mate.

Unlike Habs…

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Very true, but Kessel, for all his faults, certainly has matured greatly from his years in Boston.

(and I say this as somebody who freaking hates Phil Kessel)

It will be interesting to watch the relationship between Kessel and Carlyle. I think Ron Wilson did give Kessel alot of rope to play his own game. They had their run in a year or two back, seemed to me Kessel kind of got his way. No way Carlyle doesn’t get his way. Not to say Kessel can’t be good for him, but I think Kessel will be in for a bit of a wakeup call with Carlyle. If he has indeed matured, he will become an even better player under Carlyle.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

That’s a very good point. Although I don’t remember hearing too many issues between Carlyle and some of the younger Ducks (like Bobby Ryan)…then again, I don’t really follow the Ducks all that closely :D

• SlovakHab says:

No arguments about that – he is an elite player.
          And he fetched a super-elite return.

Unlike Habs…

• SlovakHab says:

Was just too busy to find out who they drafted in 2nd round they got as an extra.
          But yes, how anyone can put Kessel trade with Ribeiro/SK/AK/Grab trades on one level, is beyond me.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Sorry, my point wasn’t what the teams got in return for the players but that the immature players in question seem to have matured.

Make sense?

13. HabsFan82 says:

I don’t really know how to assist PG or BG but if I was to assist the forwards on this team they assembled this is how I would look at it.

(A) Decent: White Geoffrion Staubitz Nokelainen
    (not sure about Leblanc) gotta see more of him to make an
    assistment.
    (B) Good: 3rd line – Bourque Eller
    (C) Better: 2nd line – Plekanec Gionta
    (D) Best: 1st line – Cole Desharnais Pcaioretty

7- forwards to start 2012-2013 maybe Moen.

• GrimJim says:

FYI – and I’m doing this to help, not to criticize – but the correct word is “assess” not assist.

• habstrinifan says:

Geoffrion wonnt be an NHL’er !

• SlovakHab says:

Staubitz and Nokelainen are not decent players on a playoff team.
      I suspect Desharnais might fall from his 1st liner status, but we will see.
      We will see if Geoffrion is a decent NHLer on a playoff team, but he is not there yet. Leblanc is.

That gives us 9 forwards, so we need at least 3 good players up front, and at least 3 good D-men.

How can we sign and promote 6 good players in 1 offseason is beyond me… Hope Moen stays!

• habstrinifan says:

I hope our new GM takes as critical an eye at our forwards as you have. You are not putting anyone down… you are judging by firm standards. If they pass good.. but the questions must be asked.

CALGARY – Steve Yzerman is going to lead Team Canada into the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

Hockey Canada has named him executive director of the men’s hockey team for a second straight Winter Games.

I stand corrected, but I don’t believe the NHL and NHLPA have agreed on participation yet. I was under the impression that it would be part of the new CBA.

It’s also been unofficial policy that players need to perform in the World Championships if they want to get the edge on making the Olympic team. Subban and Price should take note.

I didn’t get to watch the press conference, I wonder if anyone asked whether he (Steve Y.) stays on as Exec. Director if indeed the NHL and NHLPA decide not to allow their players to attend these Olympic Games.

Interesting that Steve’s asst. GM are Ken Holland and Doug Armstrong.

Good point on the upcoming world’s as it pertains to PK and Price.

15. habstrinifan says:

This seems to be poll day and I cannot believe the ambivalence towards replacing our management.

Just ask the simple questions! Is the habs decline due simply to the vagaries of sport.

If you say yes keep PG etc and ride out this ‘down cylce’… if you say NO then you have no alternative…. replace people who run your franchise.

• JayK-47 says:

It’s due to a hiring policy that places former athletes in positions of authority far beyond their training and experience. How is Houle going to get a solid ROI on any trade? Gainey to understand asset management? How would Trembley or Carbonneau counsel their players? Set expectations? Monitor training regimens?

Les Canadiens hired a bunch of plumbers, to manage a business. And it shows.

• SmartDog says:

I know!

I can’t believe the number of people who give Molson a decent grade too. The team is dying, the trades have been terrible… the coaching changes a fiasco. It’s like watching the Leafs under JFJ. Ridiculous.

But Molson comes out personally and back Gauthier. It reminds me of this quote: “Brownie’s doing a heck of a job”. Whaaattt???

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

16. Bigdawg says:

Does the team have the cojones to make a splash in the offseason? Will it make sense to chase like the Semins, Doans, Stuarts, Carles or Jackmans cause a bottom feeder ain’t attacting the creme a la Parise or Suter? This is likely a short term fix likely won’t get us the cup – but it could take us a round or two and give our youth playoff experience.

Should we just suck it up make only minor trade/UFA pick up and hope our youth develops and that we stay healthy to maybe make the playoffs if things fall into place? crossing fingers, throwing salt, casting spells, writing to santa..

Do people really think we should trade for one of the best centers in the league? Which team would be dumb enough to trade one away? Do we wait for an opportunity like this to come to us? crossing fingers, throwing salt, casting spells, writing to santa..Or do we mortgage all we got and go for it now ?

Which path do you choose?

17. habstrinifan says:

Mind if I join with my questions:

Pretend it’s day after LAST GAME for HABS.
    Molson goes on radio; tweets that Pierre Gauthier will BE BACK!

Scale 0 to 100….. How depressed are you?

18. habstrinifan says:

1: A….. least I hope so.
    2: C….. He should have seen what many fans saw as expressed
    here on HIO from the pre-season disorganization etc.
    Also so many questions.. re Muller/naming coaches in
    AHL etc.
    3:NO….. And I feel very uncomfortable saying that about DD.

4:……. Trade Pleks.. best return to be had and I think Eller has
    the size and skill to be great 2nd line centre with good
    wingers and in right system.. not dump/chase.

5:……. GOOD! With knowledgeable GM/ great coach.

• SmartDog says:

These are close to my answers too.

I find 1.a scary. Which is why I think your C in question two is as good as he deserves. Plus he presumably was complicit in the Kaberle trade… has come out on Twitter PERSONALLY in support of Gauthier. He should have more distance considering the job the Goat has done. Just get his PR team to fire something off.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

19. Batalla says:

I don’t know what’s going to happen. But there’s going to be no shortage of drama! Watching this team is kind of like watching an episode of “House”. How many times are we going to get it wrong and almost kill the team before finally getting it right?

• SmartDog says:

LOL

True…. PG is like one of the junior doctors… I know the answer… Markov! No, it’s Camploli…. no, it’s Kaberle! No, trade Cammalleri!… Not that, just wait til we get Gomez back…! Hmmm… well when Gionta’s back… oh wait, the season died. :(

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habstrinifan says:

Actually, today, Francois Gagnon basically said the same thing you put in a very funny way… all PG’s moves seemed as impromptu answers…. even Staubitz whom we all are applauding now.

20. joeybarrie says:

@HardHabits.
    Let me ask you this. I’m an optimist. Markov is a GREAT player. Once he is ready to play again, he will not be at his peak, but still capable of being a great player. His style of play has a lot to do with his intelligence and vision. So in the end it goes one of two ways.
    Now how can you say that YOU are one of the only ones who do not have rose colored glasses on. When you have not seen him do ANYTHING. Your GUESS is as good as anyone’s.
    So please explain how your view is so much more clear than anyone else’s. Including all of the Habs doctors and management.
    To me saying Markov will single handedly win us the Cup is just as assumptive and blinded as saying he is one hit away from retiring.
    In the end to me, its this simple. Adding another top D (and if you think at 100% Markov isn’t a top D man then you will see how incorrect you can be) to our lineup helps in a lot of facets. Including and most importantly the PP. It affects so many aspects of the whole game that it really will make a huge difference.
    I just find it astonishing that someone can say how CLEARLY WRONG everyone is based on their assumption, when the person is simply basing their argument on the exact same assumption just the negative side of it.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

+100

• joeybarrie says:

@HardHabits again. FORGET IT. I just read your post of how the Habs sucked when Gainey was named Captain. All I can say is look at the teams in those years. They made the playoffs every year. 2nd round 6 times. They went to the Conf finals 4 times. They went to the finals twice. They WON THE STANLEY CUP. 1st in their division 4 times, and as a GM the team played in 10 playoff rounds in 7 seasons. Considering they played in half that in the 7 seasons previous……. I would have to say that that was the absolute dumbest comment I have ever heard in my life. So forget replying to my other post. Its clear you are either at the lever of that comment or talking out of your a** to get some sort of reaction.

21. The Jackal says:

Hahaha. It’s funny to see posts from the know it alls who think they know how to “fix” the team. Congratulations from evolving past being broken records into… Skid marks? I hope you’re not as negative (don’t call it realism because its not) in your life outside HIO.

• LafleurGuy says:

I give sports fans a little leash and the chance to think like adolescents once again. Few issues are one dimensional but it is mentally tiring to see all sides of an issue, so they stick to one dimension. Don Cherry has made a career of it (“Chicken Swede”).

We were glad and proud when the Canadiens were Canadian-owned once again. The previous owner may very well have been a corporate raider. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Molson.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• The Jackal says:

You seem to be one of the few who respect Mr. Molson. What I find funny is all the comments attacking him personally for the outcome of this season, as if he were the entirety of the management team. I think that by not throwing the Goat under the bus he has tried to maintain an element of patience that the Goat has lacked, but that does not mean he does not want the team to win. I say be patient, if improving the team was as easy as thinking it then it would be done. Management has tried in the past and not fully succeeded, and they have had to try different “experiments” because players fantasized about are not always available.

• habsnyc says:

Why does it take any hockey expertise to fix this team? The organization is disfunctional, not the players.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

22. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. With the state of the Habs why has Molson not fired Gauthier? Is it because:
    a. Molson thinks he’s done a good job
    b. he’s waiting til summer
    c. Molson’s been involved so it’s hard for him to blame the Goat
    d. not too many good bilingual candidates around
    e. … or?

2. As an owner, give Geoff Molson a letter grade so far.

3. Among DD, Pleks, Eller, is one a first line center?

4. If you said “no” to question 2… then we probably have three 2nd line centers. One will need to be traded… who would you rather see traded to make room?
    a. DD. He’s small, and for an undrafted player will bring good return.
    b. Pleks. Had a bad year but he’s had horrible line-mates and plays a strong defensive role.
    c. Eller. The low man on the totem pole but the biggest of the three and the least developed, he’s a couple of years from peaking and could be very good.

5. What are the odds the Habs finish in the top 6 in the East next year:
    a. Slim-none
    b. Not likely but maybe
    c. 50-50
    d. Good
    e. Very good

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habs-fan-84 says:

1. a
      2. a
      3. Eller (in two years)
      5. d

• SmartDog says:

You’re a very positive person. I agree with your answer to #3 though.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• dorvalhabsfan says:

1.A
        2.B (the only thing he couldve done different was the coaching fallout)
        3. Pleks. Eller for the future
        4. Pleks, he can get a greater return
        5. 60-40% in our favor

Go Habs Go

• Cal says:

1. c- after the playoffs- Bergevin is likely with Serge Savard as pres. IMO
      2. Too early to tell
      3. none
      4. There aren’t 3 #2 centers. There are 2. DD and Pleks. Eller is a solid and still getting better 3rd line center. I would not trade any of them.
      5. c. If Ottawa can turn things around quickly, why can’t the Habs. This perfect shitstorm of a season will end and things will turn around.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

1. B
      2. B
      3. Probably not, but we still don’t no with Eller yet.
      4. Pleks, we could get more back for him.
      5. 50-50

• Habfan10912 says:

1. B
      2. Inc
      3. Think DD has potential to be a good 2. Others are 3’s.
      4. Pleks. Market value should result in better return
      5. This will make HH happy. A

• habsnyc says:

Molson defines PG’s job differently than you. Just like the principal measures the teacher against different criteria than the students or parents use. Molson owns this franchise “for the long run.” I do not think he cares where the team finishes this season.

This team is not being run to your satisfaction. It is being run to Molson’s satisfaction.
      Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• joeybarrie says:

1. B. And PG has not done such a terrible job.
      2. B. Molson isn’t a hockey specialist. His job is to make sure the right people are hired and make business decisions.
      3. Right now DD is a first line center, mostly cause he is playing center on our first line. And that’s all it ever takes.
      4. Question 2 was not a yes or no question. If you meant number 3, then I would not trade any. Eller is not yet a top 2 line center, and I like having 3 scoring lines.
      5. D. This is a good team with horrific injury plagues. We are deeper now and our younger players are starting to do very well. If we hole up the D, we should be back to being one of the top teams. If our top 8 players can play most of the season, and we do not have 3-4 out at a time.

• fastfreddy says:

@joeybarrey
        What team and what season are you refering to when you say the Habs are a good team, only injury plagued? Have you not been watching the games? This team team needs some new players, and I mean in the top 6!

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

23. Stev.R says:

Since WJHC:
    Yakupov 14GP 10G 5A 15pts -7 1.07 PPG
    Grigorenko 17GP 15G 23A 38pts 2.23 PPG

Scouts are hot and cold over Grigorenko. Some say he’s of the Kovalev mold. Some say he’s past that and is to good to pass up.

But then there is also Forsberg. Who some say he is of the Alfreddson type with more natural skill.

Or what about Galchenyuk? Some are saying he could be top 2 in the draft if he wasn’t injured. What effect will this past season have on where he’s drafted?

24. habsfanforever7631 says:

Let Markov play this year and let’s see how his knee is, if he injures it again, then will know that he can’t play anymore and the Habs will have to replace him.
    But all the talk about “oh Markov won’t last 3 shifts.” or “I’ll bet ya he’ll play only one game.”
    Come on he’s a human being. Why would you guys want someone to bust out there knee again? Do you guys know what will happen in the future?
    The Habs are much better with Markov in the lineup then out, so let’s hope for the best.
    I don’t think Markov will be like before, but 75 percent of Markov is better then what we have on d right now.

Is it only a coincidence that the Habs started sucking when Gainey assumed the captaincy?

26. T-roy West says:

Max – Desharnais – Cole
    Gionta – Stastny – Parise
    Gallagher – Eller – Forsberg
    Shultz – White – Staubitz

27. adamkennelly says:

Forget Parise – he is going to be too expensive…going to cost someone $7M for prolly 6 years…this team needs to become much harder to play against – taking care of that should get them into the playoffs next year…that includes a tough 4th line, 1 tough D-man and a top 15 PP (Markov should solve that problem)…done.

28. habsfan0 says:

How much money will Geoff Molson be on the hook for if he buys out Gomez, while still paying off Perry Pearn, Bob Gainey,Pierre Gauthier,Jacques Martin?

Anybody else I missed?

29. Top Corner says:

I want to see Markov skate this year !!! and I bet the GM that awaits this team does too !! :)

30. jols101 says:

I mentioned below how great it would be if we could land Parise as a UFA but the consensus was that he will be too expensive and every team will be bidding for him.
    So what are everyones thought on P.A Parenteau? He will be UFA and currently only has a 1.25 million cap hit. How much do you guys think he will go for? Is this season a fluke or do you think he is capable of this kind of production in the future( he has 59 points so far this season, easily better then anyone the Habs have). Do you think he is being carried by Mat Moulson and Travares ?
    I would like to hear your opinions because i think what this team needs most next year is someone for Pleks to play with. If Parise is too rich for us what about Parenteau? Thoughts?

31. Mattyleg says:

Lots of ‘realists’ seeing things here as they ‘really are’ again.

Thank god they are here ‘waking people up’ to the ‘reality’ of the world.
    Which, in ‘reality’ is a terrible place full of ‘deluded’ people who think it’s great.

Thanks Team Reality!
    I’ve been Saaaaaaved!
    (plunges self backward, arms crossed, into crystal mountain pool, which, in ‘reality’ is a puddle of yellowish slush in the alley behind the Kool Aid parlour)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. SmartDog says:

When’s Gauthier’s birthday?

I just found the PERFECT present.
    And it’s on sale!!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

33. j0nHABS says:

Francois Gagnon is a A-hole in my opinion. I just watch a clip of Markov skating with the team today and he doesn’t look weak in his skates, in fact it looks like he has some jump. Mr. Gagnon should know better than to try and stir the pot with Hab fans right now, we are a little fragile with the way this season has gone.
    If Markov comes back and messes up his knee again, well then at least he tried, but I still say that he will come back and be fine. People can’t blame him for taking as long as he needs and be as precautionary as he needs so he can come back and won’t have to end his career now.
    Give Marky a break until he comes back and shows us otherwise!

34. naweed235 says:

3 questions:
    1) How bad is it really if PG is back as GM next year?
    2) Should Montreal overpay to get Parise? I’m talking $7M for 4 to 5 yrs
    3) Does anybody else think Marky is a lil bit of a douche when he talks to the media?
    I mean I love the guy for the player that he is but he is always so arrogant and sarcastic when he answers the questions… it’s like he takes offense to all the questions and answers like he is above them all… that’s just my impression

• Habfan10912 says:

1. Bad
      2. No
      3. Don’t know. Never met the guy.

• Bigdawg says:

7M 4-5years Parise is a STEAL and there is no way he cannot get that offer or better from a good team.

to get him to come to MTL we will have to be like some crazy term 6-10 years or a shorter contract for stupid money and promise him 1st line minutes or else he will not even pick up the phone to hear PG pitch him.

• SmartDog says:

1. Horrible. Totally ludicrous. A joke.
      2. Argh. The money is okay but the term… 3-4 yeras MAX. Anything longer and no.
      3. Yes. But he’s gotta be frustrated like crazy in general and at the media in particular. I’d give him a break.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Kooch7800 says:

1. it seems it may happened…..
      2. No. Parise is awesome but if we overpay we will be handcuffed in the future
      3. I would be a douche to the media if he was bashed as much as he is

• Canus says:

1 ) neutral
      2 ) nah
      3 ) how you see Markov as a douche is beyond me. He comes from a different culture, so, his sense of humour is different. Besides that, I think he’s funny. Douche….really?

• habstrinifan says:

Vell Bad! No re Parise! Re Markov.. I am a knee-man so didnt look above his knees.

So the Radio Waves here in Toronto were filled with Burke versus Cherry. Pretty funny how big a distraction this is becoming. And trying to win a war of public opinion with Cherry in these parts is pretty tough. Burke will have to tread carefully with his next step.

• Kooch7800 says:

escpecially since his team may not make the playoffs yet again….Burke will start to be held on a very short leash

• Strummer says:

They have a 19% chance of making the playoffs.
        Say goodnight Burkie.
        Burkie: “Goodnight Burkie”

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• kempie says:

You know I really have no idea what these two clowns are mumbling about because I just don’t have the strength it takes to click on any of the dozens of links to the “story” I see every day. I just couldn’t care less. Lemme guess, is it something dumb?

Markov is looking more and more like his career is done. Even if he skates again how likely is it that he will be anything like before he got injured. Not very much.

Gauthier, Gainey, Martin. If ever there were three stooges.

• shiram says:

On what do you base this HH? I can understand that it’s difficult to imagine he’ll be back at a 100%, but to say he is done? Well that would warrant some proof to back it up.
      Francois Gagnon’s twitter is uh shaky at best, as a source of information.

• Cal says:

Paging Dr. HH, paging Dr. HH. Looks like we will find out soon enough about what Markov can and can’t do. Perhaps, next Monday in Buffalo?

• j0nHABS says:

How can you possibly know that his career is done. I’ll wait for him to come back and see him play before I’ll judge if his done or not.

• toneez says:

Nicolas Lidstrom who is a Norris Trophy candidate almost every year and he is over 40 !!! I believe that Markov can and will come back stronger than ever , maybe the 1st time the team tried to rush him back and he got hurt again and that may be why this time it’s taking so long for him to hea, l because he wants to be sure that he is completely healed before returning in order to avoid the same thing happening again , he was loyal to us all these years , loves Mtl and wants to stay there so why not cut him some slack and encourage him to come back stronger than ever , how about looking at the positives he brings to the table , nobody will be sure how this all plays out until he has at least like 50 games under his belt after the surgeries, so why dont we cut him a little slack and encourage him a little and see what happens midway thru next year , he has played a lot of good hockey for us over the years … loyalty deserves loyalty back …

All Habs all the Time

• jedimyrmidon says:

Why wait until there is news that he has been cleared for contact to say that it’s looking more and more like his career is done?

I can see how you could say that when they announced his arthroscopic knee surgery in November. Or anytime in between when there was little to no news about him.

37. habs17 says:

srry if offend any1. But i find it hilarious when many ppl believe that markov is our saviour. Were talking about an injury prone player who has played 10 games in 3 years and is almost 34 years old, yet some ppl believe that he could turn this team around, make our P.P better. I think you ppl are really over valuing Mr. Markov. I would love to have him back, but until then im not getting my hopes up, till i see him play a few games.

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• The Jackal says:

I hope he comes back and plays like he always does. If this happens, our PP will improve, our 5-on-5 scoring will improve, and so will our overall D. If not… let’s see what the Goat or the next GM will do.

• Dr.Rex says:

If today’s NHl can be defined by one word it would be “parity”. AS we see often the worst of teams can beat the best of teams. Can this be said about the NFL or NBA? Can the Rams compete with the Packers or teh Bobcats with the Thunder. No.

AS we have seen with this year’s habs its obvious they cant hold a lead, mainly because they dont ever build on leads. A good PP can turn a bottom feeder into a legitimate playoff team. IN 2006-07 if we did not have teh league’s top PP we would have finished with a worst record then this year, I guarantee that. Andrei Markov was the reason that PP excelled and the number one reason Souray lives the glamore life he lives today.

Can markov;’s presence turn us into champs? Of course not. But with so little deciding the outcome every night his PP presence and pushing Craperle to the press box would more then likely made up the 10 points we are trailing 8th right now. Also he is plus player and his minutes would make Gorges and SUbban and Eme that much mroe effective. A strong top 4 can win you games by itself. Makov a saviour? Maybe not. BUt clearly he could be a difference maker.

• 123456 says:

Very good post. Think of the extra goals – even strength and PP and also the better defense. If Markov returns at 80% of his old self I’d take that over Craperlee, Crapoli, Diaz, Weber

• Cal says:

9-7 Giants won the Super Bowl, so, um, yes.
        Markov IS the Habs general on the power play. It is a role PK will have to grow into, but he’s not right now.

• newbrunswick troy says:

well you have not offended me… i too know that it is unlikely Markov will soley fix this team , he actually is going to be a productive top 4 d-man but that is about it!

• joeybarrie says:

First, if Markov comes back and plays 100%, then yes. He is our saviour. I look at it this way. Next Season with this line-up.
      MaxPac DD Cole
      Bourque Pleks Gionta

PK Gorges
      Markov Emelin

This looks a lot more like a top 2 lines. With all our young talent we are not going to be a bottom team.

• HardHabits says:

Even at 100% Markov would be no saviour. He is more than likely either one hit away from retirement or at best will be a dim shadow of his former self.

It will be interesting to see just what kind of a state the Habs will be in after this summer. A team full of holes with a management team with one sole purpose in mind; make the play-offs at all costs, even if that cost is as a last seed with no hope of a deep run, and the perpetuation of mediocrity.

• Cal says:

Any half decent news turns to crap in your eyes, doesn’t it? Is this the Tank perspective? Instead of rose-coloured glasses, all is sepia coloured?

• HardHabits says:

It’s called having a grasp on things and not relegating myself to the wonderful land of dreams, wishes, what ifs and hopes.

Wake the eff up people. Markov is not the saviour.

My lenses are as clear as they get. Focused. Telescopic. I look deep into both the macro and the microcosm.

It’s why I am so loathed here. I dare confront reality with sober clarity.

• Cal says:

@HH. Your opinion of yourself is all I need to read. Remember, Dr. Sepia, it’s only a game.

38. Morenz7 says:

I was as excited (relieved?) as anyone to hear about Markie. Til I read this:

Translation: He doesn’t look at all comfortable on skates; far from the real Markov

• Mike D says:

Thanks for translating, Morenz7!

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

I think until he gets popped good and then realizes his knee is okay, he will be tentative. He has a big hurdle to get over, and it is going to be impossible for him to actually believe that knee is good to go until it gets a real test.

Not surprised at all to read this. Mr. Gagnon is probably 100% correct in what he is seeing.

• Morenz7 says:

Man, I hope you’re right, HiB, cuz I’m feeling a tad conflicted. On one hand, I think it makes more sense to keep him out until next season, when our games will actually mean something. Then again .. if the repair is going to hold, it’ll probably hold as well now as in October, and better to find out he’s kaput before UFA time.

We have every right to be concerned. But i don’t want to head into next year with the “hopes” he is okay and then find out otherwise. It’s time to let this fish swim and see how it does. There is no way the doctors would be letting him out there right now, if the level of rehab wasn’t good enough to be out there. Again, i am far from a doctor, but in talking to numerous athletes who have had this procedure his tentativeness is completely understandable.

• j0nHABS says:

I have read from a lot of reporters on twitter that go to the practices say that he is really strong in his skates and that he hasn’t lost his speed. Also they aren’t seeing the pivoting problems that he was having before. I think someone is just trying to get a reaction.

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks for posting but also remember the source. That is coming from the Pot stirrer himself

• shiram says:

If he is done, well he’ll either retire, or be put on LTIR, which only means the Habs have to look for another D.
      If he can’t play it won’t hinder the Habs.
      Finding the replacement will be quite difficult though, so that’s why I want him to come back healthy.

• Habfan10912 says:

Shiram – You are correct. Finding another D man with his skill with NO cap room is going to be impossible. This management bunch has done much damage. No easy, quick fix. The team has a couple of D man playing in Jr.’s that are a few years away at best and the cupboard in Hamilton is bare. This organization is in trouble.

• habaddict_andy says:

It just says he does not look comfortable. We shall wait and see how this goes in few days.

Go! Hockey! Go!

39. habs17 says:

who is this Andrei Markov, every1 keeps talking about.

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

40. showey47 says:

No cammy tomorrow night,injured.EDIT:Also refusing to speak to the media.

• habs03 says:

I love Cammy, but even a trade couldn’t get him back to form, 6 goals, 11 points with the Flames, over a 82 games he would be on pace for 23 goals and 43 points, for 6M.

41. shiram says:

Parise is the name that comes up concerning the upcoming free agent period, but how would you all feel about the Habs sending an offer over to Semin?
    He would command quite the contract, but his recent shortcomings might help in making it a more decent deal.
    The idea being to get some top 6 wingers for Plekanec. Semin / Pleks / Gio.

Apart from him, Parise and uh Jokinen? free agent forward is quite poor.

Talent is unquestioned but you know the rest.

Seriously though, until we know who our GM and Coach will be, speculating on free agents is kind of a moot point. Depending on who the coach is, Free Agent A could be a waste or Free Agent B would be excellent.

He is an intriguing option to say the least, but I suspect he avoids a market like Toronto or Montreal that would put his chestnuts into a roasted fire if he dogged it here.

• shiram says:

I know the knocks on him, but you can’t question the talent there, and Habs have a definite lack of talent in the top 6.
        I don’t see why we need to wait on a GM/coach combo to be established, this is just a friendly discussion.

I just feel the Habs have a definite need on the wings, and there just is no depth in the free agents winger this season.

I didn’t mean to be short with you Shiram, sorry. My point was, lets say we hired a JM clone coach, would that work with Semin or perhaps a Carbo who would let the guy loose was my point.

Sorry, still kind of pissed at a different point someone else posted. I apologize for writing back to you while still frustrated.

• shiram says:

Oh I did not think you were short!
            I just thought there was a discussion to be had around Mister Semin!

• Mike D says:

Immensely talented player Semin is, but he one of the reasons why the “lazy Russian stereotype exists. Personally I wouldn’t want him unless it was at a deep discount and on a 1 year deal which ain’t gonna happen. Plus, he’s a RW and we’re already pretty set there with Cole, Gio, and (to an extent) Bourque. It’s on LW that we need the help because after Max-Pac we don’t have any guys that can be relied upon to score. Essentially we need to replace what Cammy was supposed to be.

I know some wingers can play either side interchangeably (AK46 for example), but others can’t and I believe Semin is the latter.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• shiram says:

He is listed as left wing on the NHL and Caps site though, that,s whatI went with.
            So if not him, who bolsters up our top 6?

• Bigdawg says:

Highly doubtful Parise will not resign with NJ – even more doubtful he will sign with us. And if he does it is because we give him unrealistic cash/term

Semin would be a project – hard to handle, inconsistent and generally like a Kovalev. that said on a one or two year at Gomez money, I could actually imagine Semin would sign with us.

1. Can WE (as in Montreal – realistically) do better on the UFA market this year than Semin?
      2. Will he be worth the headaches he causes?

I think the answers are:

1. Not likely
      2. Yes but just barely

I could be happy if we don’t sign him but we really need another impact scorer in a big way.

Oh and I would avoid Ollie. Doan would be interesting especially if coyotes try to undervalue him in the next contract with too short a term.

42. sampson12 says:

I might be getting ahead of myself, because I could see the habs going on a useless win streak to spoil our chances at drafting some major talent, but I can’t help being excited at what this draft could bring us.
    Now that chances have become increasingly strong that we lock up a top 3 pick, or at least a top 5 pick (I realize there is still a lot of hockey to be played), what prospect do we feel fits the best in the habs lineup? Personally I think there’s no question we should be going after the high-end forward talent that’s available. And if, for example, Yakupov goes to CBJ and the Oilers draft to their needs and select a defenceman (Ryan Murray), and if the habs are lucky enough to have the 3rd pick, there are some pretty exciting options. Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg are all highly rated prospects with a high ceiling. I’d be happy to get either of them. If we get the high pick and the scouts do their job, there’s a good chance we could be adding a future superstar to our lineup.

43. slychard says:

Ha ha, now if that same lion can only #2 on Gomez…
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

44. sampson12 says:

It’s difficult times like these when you really start thinking about the man and what he meant to this city. He’s exactly the kind of person we need right now: the epitome of class, a perfect leader and captain, skilled and passionate. But there will never be another Jean Beliveau, no franchise or sport could ever be that spoiled. He’s one of a kind.

45. slychard says:

Rita Wilson’s expression is priceless.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

The news of Markov potentially playing some games has re-energized my excitement to watch the remaining games. To those who worry we could go on an extending winning streak. If having Andrei Markov with our current line of forwards puts us on a winning streak, imagine what having Moen, Gionta and a Galchenyuk in our lineup would do.

It has been harder and harder to watch games of recent days, but this latest good news is exciting to me.

• Kooch7800 says:

The first period of the Leafs vs habs game was ok….then it went downhill lol

• jedimyrmidon says:

Should be intense games: I’ll be on the edge of my seat… hoping desperately he doesn’t get injured again.

• Mike D says:

You’re right, Gerald. Getting Markov back into the lineup will at least give Habs fans an exciting reason to watch the rest of the season. Unfortunately my work schedule this week will likely prohibit me from watching the games. Hopefully I can at least get home in time to watch Canadiens Express.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• habs17 says:

ill give him 3 shifts, then he’ll probably get hurt again.

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• Kooch7800 says:

Eazy on the markov hate man.

Want to make a side bet….Markov will have more points at the end of the season than Gomez….any takers?

• habs17 says:

ill make you a side bet. what is it?

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• Cal says:

I’ll make you a side bet, kiddo. He plays 1 regular game without injury, and you take your posts about the player that you’re an athletic supporter for out of here. If Markov does get hurt after 3 shifts, I’ll stop posting. Fair enough?

• Kooch7800 says:

usually I make it for booze, but as I am in southern Ontario that will be a little difficult. How about….the loser has to change their tagline to “*Name* is much smarter than me and knows more about the Canadiens” and we could leave it up for a couple weeks….sounds fair?

• habs17 says:

ya kooch sounds fair, gomez will have more points then markov by season’s end. Im notting betting on Markov to get hurt i would never bet on some1 to get hurt, especially a hab, who i hope does well, but dont see it happening

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• habs17 says:

read above

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• Mike D says:

Way to be positive there 17.

A retired Andrei Markov is still a better hockey player than Scott Gomez.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• bear says:

Hey Kooch,
          I’m with you on this as far as the points go. Reality is we’re stuck with Scott so we have to hope he turns it around next year.

Bear

• Kooch7800 says:

From what I can see Gomez will be gone after this year no matter what. They are playing him on the 4th line and not giving him any ice time. I think they realize that it just isn’t working. I was really hoping he would bounce back this season but he has actually gotten worse.

• Mustang says:

17 I don’t know you but I find your comment to be completely out of line. Why would you wish a career ending injury on anyone, especially a Habs D-man that could really help the team next year? I truly hope that you are very wrong.

Perhaps because he is nothing but a disrespectful punk.

• Mustang says:

H in B. I think that you may have hit the nail squarely on the head. I still feel that his comment was nasty and unnecessary.

As far as Markov playing this year goes, I have mixed feelings. On one hand it would be great to see him in a few games knowing that he has recouperated to the point where he can play again. On the other hand I would like to see him wait until next fall so that his knee has every opportunity to fully heal.

Really? I know you are a young fan, but you post here day in and day out spewing support for a guy who has been given every chance in the world to succeed, and then you throw that at a guy who wishes he had those chances the past two years! Your posts are now dead to me!

• jols101 says:

HabinBurlington, Great post and i agree 100%. Having a healthy line up including Markov will make a world of difference. I think Galchenyuk or Forsberg should be our target at this years draft. Just wish we could replace a healthy Gionta with Zach Parise and sign one big, stay at home, tough as nails dman in the off season and i like our team next year…

• Kooch7800 says:

I Like Parise and he would be a perfect fit with Pleks on the second line but there will be a ton of teams after him

• Mike D says:

Absolutely right Kooch. A TON of teams will be hot after Parise. Not only is he a great player, but this year’s UFA crop is mostly void of any true offensive superstars. Who ever gets him will pay through the nose!

Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets around 8mil per season on a proper term, or signs one of those BS uber long-term retirement contracts with a lower cap hit where he’s signed into his forties a la Kovalchuk.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Kooch7800 says:

yeah, he is worth max around 6 to maybe 6.5 but you are right this crop of UFA’s is not appealing. I bet AK gets 5 mill a season.

If Penner is available for 2 mill would you sign him on a 1 year deal?

• Mike D says:

No I wouldn’t sign Penner at all. I was one of the few here last year who was dead against the team getting him at the trade deadline. Sooo happy he went to LA instead.

I agree Parise is worth between 6-7 million (closer to 6), but with the crazy increases recent UFA’s have gotten I wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised to see him get 8…or one of those loopy Kovalchuk-type contracts I mentioned above. If there’s more than 2 teams needing true offensive talent with cap room to spend, you can bet Parise will get it.

AK will get a maximum of 5mil I think, but only if a team is really desperate and got outbid on Parise and/or Semin. I expect AK will probably sign closer to 4.5mill or slightly lower. Montreal and maybe Nashville are the only teams he might take a discount for.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• jols101 says:

Ya i realize Parise is an extreme long shot but would be a great fit with pleks. Just wishful thinking though. He is making 6 million this year and whoever gets him will have to up the anti so unless we can unload gomez and kaberle we probably dont even have the cap space to be in the running. However, a healthy Gionta and Bourque are definetly moveable parts and that would open up alot of cap room…

• Kooch7800 says:

I would hold on to both Gio and bourque if possible. Bourque is a good third line and second line fill in and Gio gives it every game. His absense was really felt this year

• Mike D says:

LOL – I would trade Kaberle and Gomez to NJ just for the rights to negotiate with Parise prior to July 1st! We’d win that deal even if we didn’t sign him!

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

47. habstrinifan says:

Just wondered why Mr. Beliveau hant been knighted. Knowing his humility he probably decline.

48. habstrinifan says:

Just tried to send best wishes to Mr. Beliveau. Tried! All I coud do was say God Bless you Mr. Beliveau as I started tearing up and shaking.

God’s grace be with you Sir!

49. The Dude says:

And there’s you difference…the older Canadiens do comebacks!

50. joshbenn says:

I know lots of people cant wait to draft in possibly the top 3 but would it benefit the Habs to trade down a couple of spots, say 7? We could still probably draft Galchenyuk and have an extra 2nd rounder. We could use two of our second rounders to acquire another 1st and then draft a hard hitting defensman.

• Mike D says:

It’s funny. I’m usually of the “take the best player regardless of position” school of thought, but with such a lack of consensus in the rankings it almost seems to make the most sense to draft for organizational needs as your main priority.

I actually like your thought about trading down a few spots and then parlaying that into another 1st round pick. Of course we’d have to find the required trading partners to make sure that other 1st rounder is closer to 20 than it is to 30. If we did that, I would actually grab 2 big scoring centers instead of a Dman. As others have mentioned, we have good D prospects already and can still grab a good Dman in the 2nd round or later if need be.

On the other hand, you also run the risk of having all of the top-ranked centers (Grig, Galch, Faksa, Forsberg) being gone by the time you pick at say 7th overall and throwing a real monkey wrench into the plan.

I’ll be watching the draft VERY attentively to say the least.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• habs17 says:

well no matter what we do, its going to be 1 of the more interesting darfts we,ve had in years, really looking foward to the draft this year.

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

51. PALSYS says:

Given our common suckage, a plea for us to unite with the fans of the Maple Loafs (use “Leafs” when dealing with those fans directly):

52. Ali says:

I work in downtown toronto and am ashamed to say that just now when I ran into Zdeno Chara in the elevator of my building I was giggling and giddy like a school girl. In hindsight I should’ve punched him in the groin and yelled “Thats for Patches!!”

• Bill says:

You really missed your chance. We all would have visited you in the hospital too.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• naweed235 says:

My personal choice would’ve been a good ol’ fashioned bltch slap… Nothing brings a man (or an ape) down like a backhanded slap…
      But yeah… what Bill said… Would’ve probably come visit you to push your wheelchair outside for some fresh air and such

• Cal says:

You had to be wearing stilts at the time so you could knock him out while screaming, “Hockey Play!”

• showey47 says:

Chara probably carries a portable stanchion for you to lean and jump into. I would have also visited you in ths hospital,you know to bring you crayons and playdoh.

• Ali says:

you all have had great ideas. As Louis CK would say, “I’m covered with three kinds of shame glaze”

• SmartDog says:

I would’ve just said: “Didn’t know where you were on the ice or who the player was – ppppffffftt! You might be big but lying makes you small in my eyes. You’re a monster and we both know you should be in jail.”

And then I’d b–ch slap him!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS ABOUT IMPROVING THE HABS:

1. With the state of the Habs why has Molson not fired Gauthier? Is it because:
      a. Molson thinks he’s done a good job
      b. he’s waiting til summer
      c. Molson’s been involved so it’s hard for him to blame the Goat
      d. not too many good bilingual candidates around
      e. … or?

2. As an owner, give Geoff Molson a letter grade so far.

3. Among DD, Pleks, Eller, is one a first line center?

a. DD. He’s small, and for an undrafted player will bring good return.

5. What are the odds the Habs finish in the top 6 in the East next year:
      a. Slim-none
      b. Not likely but maybe
      c. 50-50
      d. Good
      e. Very good

SD
      ————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

53. shiram says:

Copied from HFboards, due to laziness.

JohnLuTSNMtl:
    None of the #Habs injured players will travel to Cgy (Moen, Darche, Gomez, Palushaj, Blunden). Gomez and Palushaj might join later on trip.

GagnonFrancois:
    Andrei Markov fera le voyage et il s’entraînera de façon régulière avec ses coéquipiers. Aucune date quant à son retour au jeu #CH

JohnLuTSNMtl:
    #Habs have 2 potential non-gameday skates on this upcoming roadtrip, which Cunneyworth says will be crucial for Markov to prep for return.

54. BJ says:

Another suggestion on UFA’s I would add John Scott (could be a 7th D or 4th liner). Matt Carkner on a 5-6 pairing. Toughness is taken care of for cheap if they are willing to come here.

55. BJ says:

As far as Markov playing this year I’m all for it. Might as well see now if his knee holds up. If so at what level and if not how is he replaced (as its obvious that we have not been able to fill the gap left by his injury). Then do you go after Ryan Suter, Niklas Kronwall or do you wait for Ellis, Tinordi and Beaulieu to be ready in 2-3 years?

56. Malreg says:

Markov cleared for contact.

57. habs17 says:

who are we going to draft, is it really a bad thing if we draft murray, we could be stacked at D, and have one of the best D in the league in the coming years

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

• jedimyrmidon says:

Drafting a great prospects is never bad. But if the Habs are stacked on D, it is definitely less useful if they have no one that can score.

As it stands, the Habs look to be very solid on D in a couple years so if they can use a top 5 (probably top 3) pick to add an elite-level winger or center, it might just be the piece that makes this team an eventual contender rather than in a permanent rebuild mode. Seasons as bad as this one probably won’t come around too often.

• ont fan says:

I wondered about this issue of having a goalie and great defense but average forwards. The more I thought about it, the more I’ll have to watch Nashville and St. Louis to find the answer.

• ABHabsfan says:

Could create a log-jam for spots in the next 3 years. Really only 3 spots out of 6 available if you consider Gorges, PK, and Emelin. That’s how you end up losing guys like Hainsey for nothing. It’s also possible Markov returns to his former self and is capable of another contract after this one. Now only 2 spots and Ellis is already signed

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Bill says:

It doesn’t matter if Ellis is signed, it’s not like it’s a one-way NHL deal. All the prospects will be signed at some point.

Also, “only 3 spots out of 6 available” is the same thing as saying half the defense roster is up for grabs, haha. And don’t forget the team carries seven D most years.

Among the D prospects, only Beaulieu is a sure-bet NHLer, and he’ll need two years in the AHL to develop.

Tinordi is a project: if he makes it, it’s likely three years down the road, plus two years of learning at the NHL level.

If you’re counting on Ellis, Dietz, Pateryn, and Bennet, realistically, they are long-shots. So I don’t know if there will be a “log-jam”.

Murray is probably a better prospect than any of our guys except Beaulieu, so I wouldn’t mind seeing them take him.

And let’s remember there is a long development period for D-men. There are few Subbans who can jump in after one year in the AHL and make an impact. Emelin did his developing in the KHL.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• BJ says:

Bill I think Ellis will be as good as Beaulieu. He was quite impressive in the pre-season. His stats do compare to Beaulieu’s minus the mean streak.

• Bill says:

Hope so. Ellis has been kind of a dark horse. Didn’t get a lot of attention in Cape Breton. At 6’2″/200 he’s got decent size and he’s over a point per game since being traded to Shawinigan.

Hamilton will be very interesting next year.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Malreg says:

Draft best player available, regardless of position.

• Bill says:

Even if the Habs finish drafting 5th, one of Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, or Faksa will be available.

There’s a general lack of consensus about the ordering of the top-ten after Yakupov this year, so it will be hard to say which is “the best player available”. It’s a tie, in practical terms. So they should go for a big forward with talent.

I wouldn’t mind if they got Murray tho.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• showey47 says:

Its really tough to say which way to go.All i know is that we absolutely can’t afford to screw up with this pick and end up taking the “benoit pouliot” of the crop.

• Mike D says:

So true about the lack of consensus in regards to this years draft. I’ve seen reports where Faksa is ranked around 20, and some where he’s around #5. Grigorenko is ranked 2nd on most lists, then there was that one scout saying they would pass on him if he was available at 25th.

All I can hope is that we have Timmins and our best scouts going to see these guys relentlessly and making accurate assessments. We can’t afford to not draft an elite player after a season that’s been our worst since 1939 and considering we’ve lacked a true elite offensive player for such a long time.

One thing is for sure….the Habs didn’t pick the best year to be drafting in the lottery.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• slychard says:

I read up on that Radek kid you mentioned a few thread’s ago… he seems interesting.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• slychard says:

Whoever we draft will become Jesus, he’ll have the pressure of becoming our next savior and be crucified when he doesn’t deliver.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• dre1744 says:

we need to score in my opinion. We alrready lose too many games 1- 0 , 2 – 1 ………

• munch17 says:

Ya – great idea – then we can trade him in a couple of years for Vinny. Just kidding – I know who you support – amd I’m ok with that!

58. B915 says:

Best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery to Mr. Jean Beliveau

59. RetroMikey says:

Amazing how God, our mighty Father heals people with strong prayers and wishes! Amen!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

60. habs17 says:

so calgary is struggling, but thats alright for them, we should be able to give them a couple points tmrw nite

I SUPPORT (every1 knows who i support)

61. montreal ace says:

Mr. Beliveau and Mr Moore, guys who played together and became closer then some brothers. I really like the way the players support each other, after their time with the Habs. Get well Mr. Beliveau, its not quite the same, when you are not in the arena, with your many fans.

62. punkster says:

Do a good deed today…click on the link above and send your note of support to a great man.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

63. HabsFan82 says:

we’ll never see players like Mr. Beliveau again one of the best to ever wear the Montreal Canadiens uniform that’s the Canadiens I remember.

God Bless you Mr. Beliveau and I wish you a speedy recovery.

64. HabsFansince49 says:

Read Jack Todd in last article on Beliveau when the Habs were a class organization compared to the Gainey-Gauthier era. What different worlds!

65. C-Sword says:

Great news! The season is saved! Markov is training with the team now, he’s paired with Emelin.

• shiram says:

Tanker’s worst nightmare?

• Kooch7800 says:

hopefully they hold him out of the line up for awhile. Don’t want to help the team win too much!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Apparently cleared for contact? Interesting…

• habstrinifan says:

Can you point me to the info, please.

Edit: I went back and read the post with the quote from Francois Gagnon. Guess that’s the source. Thanks.

• Habsman1970 says:

There is no way I would put him in a game the rest of the season. No reason for multiple reason, which the top two is 1) no reason risk him hurting himself when the season doesn’t matter now, and 2) no reason to add him in to help us when I would prefer to be a bottom-feeder right now and get drafts rather than moving up the standings (while still missing the playoffs) and get a 10th or 12th pick.

ONCE A HAB, FOREVER A HAB!!!

His knee will be virtually just as strong in September as it is now, why not play him and let him get his confidence back? Adding him to our lineup next year full of confidence will be like adding a 1st pick overall Dman!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Waiting another 6 months will do nothing. This guy needs to get back into game form. The last 15 games or so will be great for him both physically and mentally.

We can not wait around all summer wondering if this guy can make it through next season. This is the test, if plays through the last dozen or so games, we’ll know he’ll be good for next year. Again, we can not wait around all summer wondering what if? What if he gets hurt 5 games into next year? We’ll be right back to square 1, making patchwork decisions on the fly; and we all know how well that went this year.

• billylove says:

Playing in a few games at the end of this season means nothing. Get used to the FACT that Markov will ALWAYS be one hit away from re-injury.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Every player is one hit away from injury.

• ZepFan2 says:

Just like Crosby and any other player that’s been hurt.

———————————————————————-
            “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

• ABHabsfan says:

I think it would be important to get Markov back on the ice this year if possible. It gives a good example of hard work and a positive view going forward to the much vaunted “young core” of this team. Much of whom need to sign contracts, and the sooner the better. The real issue with this team in the near future is not tanking or who are we going to draft, it’s getting CP, PK, Eller, Emelin,White, Moen signed to reasonable contracts. Having vet leader like Markov make a return shows the “kids” there are good things to look forward to, you want to be part of this.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Cal says:

Sorry, but I wholeheartedly disagree. If Markov is ready, let him show what he can do. He will not single-handedly win games for the Habs so no worries. Will he make the Habs more competitive? Sure, but there are too many holes on the team right now. Sit Weber, sit! You too, Diaz.

• habaddict_andy says:

Everyone knows the season is done. The sarcasm is wearing out. Although everybody including me would appreciate a high draft pick, this is also a good time to see how we can play with the core players we have re: DD-line, healthy Markov with Emelin (who has gotten more comfortable as of late), Subban and Gorges, and the young players.

I can tell, with new addition of Staubitz and the come back of White, other players are no longer backing down from intimidation. That is good to see. Now let’s play young boys and let them get some experience. No less than 5th over all pick wouldn’t hurt either.

Go! Hockey! Go!

• montreal ace says:

Its going to be a going to be interesting, seeing if his knee holds up. The pairing of Markov and Emilin is fantastic, shame it did not happen earlier. Its has been remarkable, the way Emilin has picked up his game, due to the fact his english is limited.

• RetroMikey says:

Markov will play one shift and OOOOMPH! Knocked out again for next season!
      What good is he now that the season is over?
      Play the young guys on the team and call up some kids from Hamilton.
      Tank I say! Tank!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

66. handyg says:

With Burke locking up Carlyle for the next 3 years (a coach I was hoping Mtl would try and get for their rebuild), I guess this seems to point more and more towards Patrick Roy as the most likely candidate. I’m not sure how I feel about that though – I’m uncomfortable with the idea of having another rookie coach (who has tendancies of being a little volatile at times) behind the bench but I guess Roy has dealt with the pressures of Mtl and its fans and media so I guess he won’t be intimated by either. I have watched his Quebec Remparts a few times and they seem to be a hard working team that won’t get pushed around (at least that’s the impression I got with the games I saw).
    I guess this is the only thing left to debate until until next September – this and who will be the next GM? Will Molson put language as the number 1 criteria or will he take the leap and actually hire the best guy available?

• Captain aHab says:

The thing with Roy is this: his credentials will impress any kids playing the the QMJHL and perhaps a bunch in the AHL but it won’t really impress NHLers. Not sure they’ll play as hard for him as the younger kids would.

—————-
      **DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a real pirate despite having been blown ashore many times.**

• Strummer says:

Roy has more impressive credentials than any NHLer on the Habs roster.
        3 Cups
        2 Conn Smythes
        dropped his gloves for a teammate (Pepe Lemieux when The Wings ganged-up)
        Told the idiots Corey and Tremblay where they could stick it after they humiliated them.
        Told Jeremy Roenick he couldn’t hear over his Stanley Cup rings ringing in his ears
        Rough and tumble stand-up guy.
        Rode the buses as a junior coach
        Who couldn’t respect him?

____________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Kooch7800 says:

Even more interesting would be to see if Lupul wants to stay in toronto now. He hates Carlyle with a passion

I still like Marc Crawford as new coach or even Carbo. Carbo wasn’t given a fair shake by BG

• Marcusman says:

Would we really hire the only guy who has quit the Habs mid-game? I’d rather have Jaques Martin back

• CanadienBoy says:

He will make they D better watch Komi coming back ,sure will have been a good one for PK and Emelin

67. redgorf says:

The NHL is very fortunate to have Mr JEAN BELIVEAU the greatest representative of all sports in the world,there is no equal. All you have to do is show his image and the words come to you automaticly,
    GENTLEMAN MR JEAN BELIVEAU.
    ———————————–.

68. Captain aHab says:

So how many wins the rest of the way? I’m gonna go with:

@Calgary – Win
    Florida – Loss
    @Rangers – Loss
    @Washington – Loss
    TB – Win
    @Carolina – Loss
    Toronto – Win

5-11…which would put us at about 70 points total.
    —————-

Montreal Canadiens We Are Fans Summit

Link would not highlight??? sorry

70. sprague cleghorn says:

What on earth are all these (ahem) interesting comments doing on a thread about the health of Jean Beliveau?

71. Marcusman says:

Hey….I don’t want to freak anyone out but I was just doing the math and I don;t think we’re going to make the playoffs.

72. habs03 says:

I pray every night that we win the draft loto, sitting were we are today we have about a 14.2 chance of winning it. If we win it and draft Yakupov :)
    Patches-DD-Cole
    Bouque-Plek-Yakupov
    Moen-Eller-Gionta
    Geoffrion-White-Staubitz/Darche

Markov-Gorges
    UFA-Subban
    Kaberle-Emelin
    Daiz

Price
    :) :) :)

• Kooch7800 says:

It would be nice. I am not holding much hope though. I think realistically we will probably end up having a pick closer to 5th

• 24 Cups says:

03 – I find it interesting that most people’s projections for next year automatically include Moen.

I wonder what type of contract it would take to sign him considering his free agent status? Will his agent recommend waiting until July 1st to test the market?

If the Habs can’t sign him, how do we fill his spot? Hamilton call-up (Leblanc)? Another UFA? Can Bourque really be counted on to play 2nd line minutes, or should he be in the Moen spot? Can Geoffrion skate well enough to play in the NHL? Who centres the 4th line, is White’s style a good fit for that role? Does the team want to keep Staubitz the Slug as a placeholder?

Basically this is the same line-up as this year except for Markov and Yakupov, who is a rookie. Is that enough to make a real difference?

• Kooch7800 says:

I think Moen will resign with the habs. If they lose him it will suck but won’t be the end of the world. Schultz is a similar type player but obviously doesn’t have the experience of Moen. I am actually surprised they have not brought him up to see what he can do in Moen’s absense.

Bourque should be used as AK was, a third line guy who can fill in top 6. This team really needs to add another offensive threat for the second line. The secondary scoring is a huge issue on this team. Gionta would really help this squad out if he was healthy. Even when he isn’t scoring he is working his tail off. His presence is underrated. Staubitz and White should be kept for the fourth line being centred by a good face off guy (FA? or maybe LL?)

The Third line IMHO should be Moen, Eller and Bourqe. That would be a decent Third line as Eller and bourque have some speed and our bottom six would have more sandpaper.

The big hole is finding a scoring winger for the top 6…..not much out there so it would have to be through a trade

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’m thinking that having Gionta, the team’s captain, who is a hard worker would spur Bourque to be more effective. Of course, it would be nice to mix up veterans and youngsters instead of having a line of Bourque – Pleks – Gionta. Need to give Eller some decent players though putting him with a guy with motivation problems isn’t ideal.

• habs03 says:

Kooch7800 has made some good points. I think Moen and Darche will be signed from what PG has said, that both players are important to the team, and both guys had teams make offer for them even tho they were hurt. Also if Moen isn’t kept I think you can get a guy like Prust to fill in his role.

In regards to the lineup, I think it is a lot like we hoped our line would be like this year, sadly it was even iced, Gionta missed pretty much the whole year, Markov sitution should be resolved by this summer, and you also possible add a NHL ready top prospect.

In regards to Bourque, like Kooch7800 said, he is like AK, can fill in the top 6, but isn’t ideal, I just used that lineup to have a mix of grit and skill on all the lines, example Gio isn’t really a 3rd liner, averaged over 30 goals as a Hab, but just trying to mix lineup.

• ZepFan2 says:

With the luck we’ve had this year, we’ll probably end up losing the lottery draft.

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

• HabsFan82 says:

you must think Yakupov is gonna be our saviour all the rest are the same. instead of finishing 15th we’ll finish 14th.

• habaddict_andy says:

Interesting line up. Only Markov paired with Emelin on 5-on-5 would probably be more interesting. The crusher and a play maker. Other team thoughts “which one should I watch out for?”

Go! Hockey! Go!

73. secretdragonfly says:

Thanks so much for providing the link to send our well wishes to Mr. Beliveau. I have done so and encourage everyone here to do the same.

Dickie Moore’s comments seem to be quite encouraging.

Here’s a great quote by Steve Rushin: “A ceremonial first puck was dropped by Canadiens legend Jean Beliveau, resplendent in a perfectly tailored suit, his silver coif immaculate. (If God got a $500 haircut, he’d look like this.) Beneath 24 Stanley Cup banners Beliveau gave a regal half wave. There were 21,273 people in the stands, and we all roared like the MGM lion. My skin, I noticed, was pebbled like a plucked chicken’s.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Cowan+Beliveau+represents+intelligence+grace+class/6243129/story.html#ixzz1oFtsmSg7

75. Kooch7800 says:

How can you say that when the prospect we got is still developing and we haven’t drafted with our second round pick yet?

We needed prospects…got it, needed cap room for next year….got it, needed a winger with size….got it. Bourque has not been on a solid line yet either. 3 mill for a guy who usually scores over 20 goals….good deal

76. habs03 says:

Cammy’s 6 goals (playing PP and in the top 6) at 6M<<<Bourque 4 goals playing bottom 6 and no PP but PK +2nd round pick ++ at 3.33M

So worse than Scott Howson and Garth Snow?

78. Strummer says:

It’s hard to judge any players performance given the sad state of this team since JM was gassed.
    I think everyone deserves a clean slate when the new GM/Coaches are installed.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

79. Kooch7800 says:

it was a good deal

80. Kooch7800 says:

do you think the other GM”s laugh at them?

81. Rob says:

“Right now I would take Ramo over Holland easy”
    Statements like that are why very few people on this site take you seriously. You would rather take a goalie prospect, an area we are strong in, over a forward prospect, an area we need help? Can you explain your logic?

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

82. ZepFan2 says:

Look in the mirror, bro.

You’re only happy when the Habs are losing. You should be celebrating, bro.

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

83. Mattyleg says:

Blue Rodeo said it best:
    “And if we’re loooooooost, we are lost together…”

Cheer up, I’m sure I’ll feel like sh*t at some stage.
    Then I’ll think of you, and we’ll be cosmically connected.
    Deal?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. Chuck says:

Poor ManApart doesn’t realize how unintentionally funny his schtick is.

85. Mattyleg says:

This is classic.
    Absolutely classic.

Makes me think of someone who walks around wearing their snowsuit all summer yelling “It’s going to snow! Mark my words! It’s going to snow!!”
    Eventually when it snows, they run around pointing their finger at people yelling “HA!! TOLD YOU SO!! SUCKERS!!”
    Problem is that the other people never said it wouldn’t snow, they were just busy enjoying the sunshine when it was nice out.
    The snowsuit guy, by this point, stinks to high heaven, while everyone else has put on their jackets that have been in the cupboard for such an eventuality.

But I guess we owe you a huge apology for…something.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

86. Chuck says:

Holy hell, ManApart… I keep lobbing them up there, and you keep knocking them out of the park. Kudos on yet another classic. This one I might just put away for safekeeping, to be pulled out for a good chuckle on a rainy day.

87. Cal says:

Oooooh, there’s his “I’ve been right for 3 years and everyone else is a fool” post. Yaaaaaaawn.

88. saskhabfan says:

LMFAO,this has to be one of the funniest posting exchanges i’ve ever read on this site. I knew manapart was easy to lure if you put the bait in front of his face but this is just beyond funny.Well done chuck and mattyleg.The snowsuit reference was hilarious and yet very accurate at the same time. Oh man,i can’t stop laughing.

I also find it hilarious how i got “honourable mention” from this snapperhead when i wasn’t even part of the discussion.But i guess since i’ve pretty much slapped him(and his dutch rudder trifecta in retromikey and the dude) around since day one he has a reason to be insecure and intimidated.

89. Stev.R says:

Do you think he’ll go back to being assistant coach next season? That’s what I always expected… at least at first.

90. Mattyleg says:

Did you tell us that 3 years ago too?
    I just want to keep up with your prognosticating.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

91. joeybarrie says:

Try to remember what JM had to work with and what RC had. A few trades and a huge injury to our captain adds up.
    That being said, it never made any sense to me that firing a coach with JMs experience and promoting the assistant with no head coach experience to inherit things. Was always a bad idea and was never going to work. Look at the caps, same thing.
    Ducks have a good run with an experienced Boudreau, and the Caps fall a bit with an inexperienced Hunter.

92. habsnyc says:

Well, to be fair, he is a lame duck coach with an AHL roster and a bunch of guys playing out the string. But that notwithstanding, he did not spark this team. To me, at the time, it made more sense to fire PG and keep JM. That would have sent the message that ownership was sick of failure.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

93. ZepFan2 says:

So are you saying you miss JM, or is this another, “blame management” post?

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

94. Bill says:

No, you’re right NO-ONE here has had an unkind word for Cunneyworth at all.

Hey, how come no-one is criticizing Stephen Harper about the Robo-Call affair? How come I am the ONLY ONE who is smart enough to notice this?

I think everyone here owes me a big apology.

Full Breezer 4 Life

95. Habfan10912 says:

He might be an assistant somewhere but not in Montreal.

96. Bripro says:

Beware of another spam site selling crap!

Oh, I thought those were some new fangled tweaked lineups for next season, no wonder I didn’t recognize. Wasn’t sure when we signed Leather Handbag for 13.99 for the whole season, thought it was too good to be true.

98. LA Loyalist says:

We signed the French-Canadien guy – “Faux-Cuir Sac-du-Main”

99. scavanau says:

We could substitute a leather handbag for Kaberle and it would get a better +/- rating

100. Bill says:

“perged”?

Full Breezer 4 Life

101. naweed235 says:

no offence but that looks worse than what we have now…

102. Mike D says:

One of the worst things about the Habs not making the playoffs is the extra-long offseason and endless line combos that we’ll be presented with.

Tinordi and Beaulieu need to prove they’re ready for the show before getting anointed onto our starting roster. I imagine they both will need a year in the AHL at least, and why should we ruin their development by rushing them?

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

103. Mike D says:

I agree that Huberdeau is good and possibly better than most guys in this year’s draft, but I disagree with the rest.

The AHL is there for development, not the NHL. Guys still develop in the NHL but they need to be at a certain level first and the guys you listed are all coming right from junior. If they show they’re too good for the AHL, then they can get called up. Not before then – at least that’s my $0.02.

– Honestly yours