Jaro is back … for a visit

Jaroslav Halak will be at the Fairview shopping centre in suburban Pointe Claire this Saturday afternoon between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Jaro will be autographing 8×10 photos (in his Blues jersey?) for $20, with all proceeds to the Ste. Justine children’s hospital.

Speaking of signatures, do you suppose Carey Price will have signed by the time Jaro is greeted by his adoring fans?

And any suggestion that agent Allan “Let’s See What I Can Tweet to F— With Price’s Head” Walsh arranged this show to embarrass the Canadiens is purely paranoid speculation.

Sam Gagner re-ups for two years with the Oilers, and Lee Stempniak stays in Phoenix.

From Allan Muir’s mailbag in SI:

Sergei Kostitsyn in Nashville: bargain of the offseason or disaster in the making?
– Helen Stakitch, Tenn

Look, when the adjective most commonly associated with a player is “enigmatic,” it’s probably best to put your head between your knees and prepare for a rough landing. No one denies that Kostitsyn has the talent to be a productive second-line forward in the NHL. He has the skill set to chip in 20 goals and 60 points if he puts his mind to it. But what evidence is there that he will?

Some will point to his no-risk contract (one year, $550,000). If he was in it for the fat stacks, he could have piled up a lot more rubles in the KHL, so maybe he’s serious about getting his head right. And I’ve learned never to underestimate what Barry Trotz can accomplish. If there are five coaches capable of getting Kostitsyn to focus, Trotz is one of ‘em.

Hey, I like the signing. A team that needed an offensive injection at a bargain price took a chance and slapped a sweater on a player who fits the bill. But the best predictor of future behavior is past action…and we’ve all seen plenty of Kostitsyn’s selfish, mercurial play. If I had to bet, I’d put money on him wearing a different jersey after the end of this deal.

1. Slovak says:

OK so if you don´t call Price – Priceberg or Pricebench you must call him: Price-the-best-benched-puckmaster-with-sun-blocking-potential? Correct?

2. JasonM says:

Hey, did Price sign yet?

3. WarHero says:

Yeah Bugs, I laughed to :)

————————————————————————

4. adam76 says:

I laughed.

5. Storm Man says:

How about you tell me what a real fan is Tony.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

6. ooder says:

after all these years of trying ya finally did it bugsy ;)

that was hilarious :)

——————

88 is the new 23

7. punkster says:

We love you man.

FREE TIMO!

8. SLONCOLD says:

nice gesture by jaro to do a little work for charity. funny gesture by his agent lol that guy should just delete his twitter account or have a regional clause not allowing him to post in the province of quebec.

9. ooder says:

Boone haven’t heard from you in a while..

welcome back, i hope you enjoyed your vacation

——————

88 is the new 23

10. adam76 says:

no – but how many players ae doing rodeo, how about motorcross?  bullfighting?

11. observer says:

so if a fan was disparaging the entire leafs team constantly but suddenly the gm gauthier of the habs who they had deemed competant decides that leafs team is better than the team habs fans adored they’d just change their opinion in a new york minute? which means either they were completely wrong with their thinking or gauthier was wrong, but since it doesnt matter how bad the moves gauthier or gainey makes simplistic fans simply praise and worship these old men of yesterday and now praise the ex-leafs team who hadnt won in 43 years. no that is not a real fan of any team.

12. saskhabfan says:

Gee,no BABES on that list, not surprised. It explains alot.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

13. K-hab25 says:

Ya he did it 109 times last season and Jaro did it 105 times. Difference is when Price stops a puck, it stays stopped or directed to the corners, not back into the slot like Jaro. :-)

14. LA Loyalist says:

Absolutely. I just get frustrated when people anoint him the next Roy or Dryden when he hasn’t earned it.

Does he have talent to be great? IMO yes, certainly.

Has he been horribly handled by coaches and management who should have known better? IMO yes.

And now he has all the pressure in the world on him when it was so unnecessary.

Does he have his head on straight? That is the unanswerable question.

I hope he comes out of the gate on fire. I’ll donate a Price jersey to charity if he’s in the top 5 goalies in the league at Christmas. I’m serious.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

15. K-hab25 says:

I was just messing with his “supposed” brother, sensfanspezza. I know Ian has kids in juniors stay with him sometimes and he said that Spezza was a cocky jerk, but that was like 10 years ago, people change. I personally have nothing against Spezza, except he’s sen, but other than that I don’t know the guy, nor do I pretend to.

16. saskhabfan says:

Do you think the rest of the players in the league do nothing then train and sleep? Clueless much?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

17. volcano62 says:

It will sink in when the Habs start the season 1-9-1 with Priceless in nets.

18. saskhabfan says:

How do you know what his training regime is. Like a fat loser like yourself would even know what a training regime looks like. Halak apparently enjoys racing cars. Is that traditional off season training?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

19. saskhabfan says:

You would know. Along with the rest of your dutch rudder club.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

20. ZepFan2 says:

None of the above.

Try, Kayla. That should work. ;)

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

21. saskhabfan says:

How can a goalie win a game all by himself? Being by himself would mean not having players in front of him. So what you are saying is if the caps had ovy,semin,backstrom,green and schultz on the ice and only halak was on the ice for the habs montreal will still win? Since thats what winning by yourself actually means. Wow,the “halak before the habs”lovers are a real dumb bunch.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

22. SensFanSpezza says:

No worries about rebounds when you just whiff on the first shot, is there?  Good thing Price never does that!  ;)

23. SlovakHab says:

I’ve already moved on.. Thanks to Jaro for everything, but now the news about him don’t excite me anymore.

24. observer says:

No player EVER in a team sport single-handedly won the game or series for them if you want to be semanticly specific HOWEVER Halak was the best Habs player AND the main factor they won BOTH those series this year AND with the other Habs goalie playing they would have won neither. Both(two series) which is something no Habs team had won since 1993. Note – when Tinordi was born or a year old?

25. ZepFan2 says:

I thought it was funny.

I gets ya’ Bugsy.

———————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

26. C-Dawg says:

LOL…nice one Bugs!!! actually made me laugh out loud.

27. saskhabfan says:

Halak will already be down because as soon as someone big comes withing 3 feet of him he gets rattled and falls.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

28. K-hab25 says:

Look little guy, I know you’re trying to tell a joke, but your grasp of the language is as bad as little Jaro’s rebound control. Keep trying though, one day you’ll get it. There’s no hope for little Jaro’s rebound control though. :-)

29. JD_ says:

Hang in there, Bugs.

30. New says:

Halak is a little goalie who played a little bit with the Habs before his agent got into a bashing contest with his team mates, throwing a wrench into a team that was weathering an injury storm pretty well until that point. The Habs then showcased the guy and got a fairly decent return of a couple players who may play in the NHL.  Halak had a big following of enthusiastic family members who will hopefully follow him to his new team, the St Louis Blues who are roughly 14.6 million under the cap through astute management. He will be dividing the duties with Ty Conklin who has virtually identical stats but will be paid a third and will be a UFA next year, while they wait on Jake Allen (see WJC 2010). Should be in the KHL 2012/13.

Surprised no one remembered him. Odd. Pale little man, played a lot like Hackett,  kept his hair short. No? Oh well. How soon they forget.

31. Storm Man says:

I have a feeling you need to lay off the coffee. I cheer for the team that would be all 20 players that wear the jersey. I wish the Molson bros would do what the yankees do. No names on the back of the jerseys AS NO ONE IS BIGGER THAN THE TEAM. Your hate for Price is something to behold.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

32. volcano62 says:

HAHAHAHA…….I had to get that out. SOOOOOOOOOOO what you’re trying to say is that Price would have eliminated those teams? Wake up and smell the coffee.

33. Storm Man says:

When you are signing something and charging 20 dollers per photo, licensing laws do come into play. One poster on here said the photos he is going to be signing are with him in a Blues jersey so that clears up the matter.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

34. Storm Man says:

LMAO….

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

35. LA Loyalist says:

I like the idea of everyone scoring the posts. We could have a referee icon or something and tot them up. Whatcha think?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

36. Bill J says:

Brad….

Your closing line defines what Price supporters feel like in general.

Do you see a constant bashing of Halak around here ?

Do you see a constant bashing of Price around here ?

Price supporters who are also Habs fans FIRST – are tired of the BS.

Allow the team to play some games before judging the team or its players.

37. LA Loyalist says:

this is another reason why all the turmoil and change on the team in the past couple years isn’t great, even if it was necessary (another argument I won’t bring up here).

in the old days (ha!) one of the veterans would have had a word with a kid (or a rookie would know who to go to.

I’m sure Koivu, Muller, Carbo, Gainey… back into the mist have handled things like that many times, quietly no muss, no fuss.

Who is price close to on the team that he respects? I mean he just turned 23. He doesn’t know a lot of the subtleties and it’s not fair to expect him to.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

38. Storm Man says:

I would take sometime and look at what you type before you post. In your words ” A goalie can win A game if he gives up fewer goals than the other goalie” As for grade one math you must have missed all your math classes as you need players to put the puck in the net for your team to win game last time I looked you don’t win game’s 0-0. Thank you for playing BTW I played Div 1 football. I will leave the softball up to you to enjoy.

PS. One game is not a series.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

39. Storm Man says:

What do you call the H-Word?  Jose.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

40. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t you mean, 4-11?

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

41. LA Loyalist says:

Because it’s for charity it probably doesn’t matter.

I was at an event with some NHL guys this summer and the guys (from a number of teams) were signing (for free, granted) pretty much anything from backpacks to scraps of paper (for kids)

One NHL guy who was just changing teams over the summer had a dog’s breakfast of bits and pieces from different teams on, it was actually funny.

I’ve always wondered what happens logistically when guys heavily involved in community charities change teams. I know the box at the bell center was taken over by another player (or more) when a player left (forgive me for not remembering the names) so maybe the guys just work it out themselves.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

42. B says:

What makes it a fact that he’s a douche? Seriously, I don’t understand the label.

43. Bugs says:

(sigh)

No one gets me.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

44. LA Loyalist says:

It’s only Monday and all you can bring is insults?

Actually in hockey a goalie can win a game by himself if he gives up fewer goals than the other goalie.

Sure it helps if his guys backcheck and his defence helps out. But often goalies save their team’s butts when his out guys completely futz out.

I won’t insult you by suggesting you refer back to grade 1 math, but just for the record 1-0 equals win

thank you for playing (girl’s softball, probably) sorry but I’m sick of that dumb argument being used to slam Halak or any other goalie, for that matter.

45. Curtoph says:

You make no sense.

46. SnowManHabs85 says:

Singlehandedly? Was he between the pipes of those games?

I still don’t know why some people say Halak singlehandedly defeated those 2 teams, how could he without teamwork? If he singlehandedly did, doesn’t he not belong a in teamwork enviroment? And Halak who?

47. Slovak says:

How do you call Price in your dreams, is it Priceberg or Pricebench? Just asking :)

48. Storm Man says:

Tony yes I would. I cheer for the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

49. K-hab25 says:

Doesn’t change the fact he’s a douche. :-)

50. habstrinifan says:

Please step back a minute and address the topic fairly. You know it is hyperbole when someone says “he won the game by himself’. Of course no one means that there is only ONE player on the ice.

But if you played high level competition you will surely accept that on some occasions, a player can WIN a game by himself.

It is especially more applicable to hockey and maybe basket ball than football or baseball. But let me describe a scenario in football and you tell me if the player did NOT win the game by himself.

Two football teams. No offense or equally incompetent offense. No real defensive skill either.. just bumbling football. So there are many many punts on both sides.

Every time SIDE A punts, player G (let’s call him Halak just for the fun of it) receives the punt and darts to the sidelines and thru sheer speed he returns the ball for a touch down…everytime. Not on one occasion is a ‘block’ made to clear his way.. he just basically outruns everyone.

No other scoring is done by either team, because both teams have bumbling offenses.

Final score Halak scores 41 points… scoreboard error.

Would you say that he has won the game by himself?

No one said he ‘played’ the game by himself!

51. K-hab25 says:

You couldn’t believe your eyes because your a Sens fan, you don’t know what goaltending is supposed to look like. Jaro was good, not great and Roy and Dryden are hero’s, not Halak and Theodore, or Price, for that matter. We have higher standards around here. Price knows that all to well.

52. Bugs says:

‘Bout time.

It was embarrassing to watch his dad holding his hand.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

53. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t forget all those goals he scored. Awesome!

Remember when he was selected as all 3 stars every night!?

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

54. Storm Man says:

I guess you never played at a high level in sports. If you did you know it takes a team to win games.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

55. Exit716 says:

Walsh is going to realize that once the season starts and his star client in St. Louis, no one in the hockey world will care about his Tweets.

56. Kooch7800 says:

seriously?

57. K-hab25 says:

OK!! I say it was, now burden of proof is on you.

58. derfab says:

Lappy, for mouthing off so much and not hitting either of them first.

character is derfab destiny.

59. Kooch7800 says:

Halak is good character guy and a good goalie.  I will remember him fondly in a habs uni.  The Habs organization was stuck with the salary cap and couldn’t keep Halak and Price.  Both are good goalies.  Halak is better right now but Carey will be good.

Of course it is dissapointing losing a great player. I think Eller and Schultz will be nice additions.  I am really excited to see what Schutlz can do with the dogs this year.

The dogs are going to have a sweet team this year.

60. B says:

Yes, 475 points in 464 career RS games so far along with a +73 is not so bad.

61. joeybarrie says:

Obviously I punch the one that does not play for MY team… If I HAVE to punch one of them, cause i am a pacifist, and probably suck at fighting anyways…

I will say that if I do Punch Halak, Price will probably come at me for getting in his way… Which I love.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

62. Neil says:

Bigger news is that Markov is skating by himself

63. volcano62 says:

64. K-hab25 says:

Carey Price doesn’t need my help to beat up a guy 4′ inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter. Plus Jaro is kinda timid. Doesn’t really strike me as a fighter.

65. G-Man says:

Neither. Real tempted to hit Goatier, though.

66. Storm Man says:

The topic here was volcano62 posted that he SINGLE handedly beat the caps and pens. I like your football story but you need teammates to block for you no matters how fast you are. Always someone faster.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

67. habstrinifan says:

ouch!

68. LA Loyalist says:

Jeff Hacket played pretty damn well behind a very average team. He was Habs player of the year several times (not sure who votes on that).

As for Ty Conklin’s stats, Joe Thornton has great stats too. I’ll take it in the playoffs when it actually counts.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

69. JD_ says:

Thanks, SF. Appreciate the suggestion given your penchant for bein’ a consistently thoughtful poster. For the record, you beat me to the Halak “live” crack. Good eye.

As for bloggin’, no, and you’re not the first to bring it up. Problem is, I’m tied into too many things and don’t want to commit to somethin’ I might just drop on a dime. One of these days, I’ll probably just disappear from here.

I promise, however, not to post some melodramatic piece explainin’ why, although Burkie should be the first thing that comes to mind as a suspect in my disappearance.

70. volcano62 says:

it actually makes him sound worse than a tool….

71. adam76 says:

It was not planned before the trade.

Burden of proof is on you.

72. mike g says:

MIKE’S MONDAY MORNING SCENARIO:

You’re walking in downtown MTL next Saturday night, and you see a giant scrum infront of a nightclub. There’s a big brawl going on between Jaro Halak and Carey Price. They’re both one punch away from being knocked the f-uk out.

If you could throw in one jab to knock one of them out, which one do you punch?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

73. volcano62 says:

LOLLLLLL

74. K-hab25 says:

You don’t think this might have been planned before he was traded? Don’t get me wrong, the way his agent has a bigger hard on for Carey than you do, he’d probably love it if Carey’s not signed yet. That way they can get all the Jaro sheep a stiring, about how the guy they traded is here signing autographs for charity and the one they kept is in western Canada, riding horses, unsigned. I remember Kovalev coming back for charity last year and all his sheep ate it up, like the Jaro sheep are eating this up. It’s a charity he had an obligation to. Nothing more, nothing less.

75. derfab says:

I don’t get the douche bag label. Is he really poison? Do we have a center that would fight Dion Phaneuf? Have we ever? If he were available, I’d take Spezza over any player but PK (his future is too intriguing) on the Habs roster.

character is derfab destiny.