Jaro is back … for a visit

Jaroslav Halak will be at the Fairview shopping centre in suburban Pointe Claire this Saturday afternoon between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.

Jaro will be autographing 8×10 photos (in his Blues jersey?) for $20, with all proceeds to the Ste. Justine children’s hospital.

Speaking of signatures, do you suppose Carey Price will have signed by the time Jaro is greeted by his adoring fans?

And any suggestion that agent Allan “Let’s See What I Can Tweet to F— With Price’s Head” Walsh arranged this show to embarrass the Canadiens is purely paranoid speculation.

β€’ Sam Gagner re-ups for two years with the Oilers, and Lee Stempniak stays in Phoenix.

β€’ From Allan Muir’s mailbag in SI:

Sergei Kostitsyn in Nashville: bargain of the offseason or disaster in the making?
— Helen Stakitch, Tenn

Look, when the adjective most commonly associated with a player is “enigmatic,” it’s probably best to put your head between your knees and prepare for a rough landing. No one denies that Kostitsyn has the talent to be a productive second-line forward in the NHL. He has the skill set to chip in 20 goals and 60 points if he puts his mind to it. But what evidence is there that he will?

Some will point to his no-risk contract (one year, $550,000). If he was in it for the fat stacks, he could have piled up a lot more rubles in the KHL, so maybe he’s serious about getting his head right. And I’ve learned never to underestimate what Barry Trotz can accomplish. If there are five coaches capable of getting Kostitsyn to focus, Trotz is one of ’em.

Hey, I like the signing. A team that needed an offensive injection at a bargain price took a chance and slapped a sweater on a player who fits the bill. But the best predictor of future behavior is past action…and we’ve all seen plenty of Kostitsyn’s selfish, mercurial play. If I had to bet, I’d put money on him wearing a different jersey after the end of this deal.

1. adam76 says:

So you are really fine with him playing on a pony?  No issue with this at all?

2. adam76 says:

Where in my post did I even mention Halak?

I’m upset that Price is risking injury playing on a horse when he should be doing more of a traditional off season workout.

If your happy our starter is fracking around with ponies instead of working with his goalie coach and trying to rebound form an embarrassing 2010, good for you.

3. Storm Man says:

Maybe so Adam76. But you have the patent on how to be a tool. Just FYI.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Do you what Price is doing the rest of his time he’s out in BC? No. What he’s doing isn’t a 24-hour event and he has more than enough time to take care of his personal training with his rather wide open schedule due to it being the off-season.

Quit manufacturing garbage becausse you have a hate on for the guy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. ZepFan2 says:

Here is a guy who had a disaster of a season

Yup, let’s string em up then trade his sorry a$$, after having one bad season.

Seriously, you should lay off hallucinogenics for awhile.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

6. adam76 says:

Typing “H word” makes you sound like a tool.  Just FYI.

7. Mike Boone says:

Allan Walsh

8. SLONCOLD says:

i’m sure he’ll keep it up in st louis although i’m sure the response to a high school football player signing pictures will get more attention than an nhl hockey player.

9. WarHero says:

Hey folks, from time to time I write blogs on HockeyBuzz and recently completed one with my point predictions for the Habs players. This article starts with the centers. Please feel free to read and comment. For those that have already seen it, I apologize.

————————————————————————

10. SnowManHabs85 says:

Halak who?

11. Storm Man says:

I don’t think the laws in the CBA can let him do that in habs gear, This why Im asking if anyone knows 100 percent for sure. I think it is great he is doing this to help kids. I hope he does the same in St. Louis

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

12. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe it’s a Saskatchewan thing, but what is a “Dutch rubber”?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

13. KenD29 says:

Maybe he will sign my Habs Halak T Shirt I shelled out $30 for during the playoffs while he was carrying the team (front office) on his back!!!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

14. punkster says:

Congrats there Adam, you may have posted the most outlandishly
    speculative conspiracy assumption of the day…well so far because we
    have yet to hear from Tony. Just how this could possibly be a PR
    nightmare to anyone other than the “tinfoil hat, evil monkey in the
    bedroom closet” crowd escapes me. A pre-planned charity event was
    specifically dreamed up by Jaro, his agent, the Habs, St Justine
    Hospital or any combination of the aforementioned to embarass Price and/or the Habs? I swear, only Tony could top this one.

Back and to the left. Back and to the left.

FREE TIMO!

15. SLONCOLD says:

maybe with a blues jersey or with a Brians practise jersey (goalie pad manufacture). The thing is to raise money for kids i’m sure the league/ Habs organizations will be kool even if it uses a hab logo. i mean it’s money to help kids…

16. Storm Man says:

As do you Adam.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

17. Storm Man says:

Could someone fill me in on the licensing laws on what photos the H-Word can sign this coming Saturday? I would think he can’t be doing Habs Photos with his likeness on them anymore as the Blues would have something to say on this matter. I know he can sign anything a fan brings for him but I dont think he can charge 20 bucks with him in Habs gear anymore.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

18. adam76 says:

Price deserves every criticism he gets (and more).  Here is a guy who had a disaster of a season.  Instead of doing a traditional training regime, instead of doing a couple of hours of charity work in Montreal – hes playing on a horse, an activity 9 times more likley to cause inury as compared to mountain biking.

Even the biggest Price bunny’s HAS to be upset (although they will never admit it).

19. habstrinifan says:

Well first am gonna be thinking “look we have two fairly young fighters here” and we’ll let them go mano a mano. But then I would intervene. I would go on pedigree. I knock out the upstart… take out the one who doesnt bleed true blue blood.

Wait! That’s been done before…. sort of.

20. Storm Man says:

You need some help.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

21. habstrinifan says:

Nice one! A couple more and you can quit your day job. Maybe warm up the crowd at rodeo socials. Why do I have rodeos on my mind?

22. Bugs says:

Thanks, guys.

Gonna keep on pluggin for yehs now.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

23. adam76 says:

His rodeo contract.

24. punkster says:

My goodness, great read! So much more interesting than the shi*fest of a language debate going on up top. An English language debate no less.

FREE TIMO!

25. habstrinifan says:

While I cannot be described as a Price apologist, even I am beginning to feel sorry for the guy. Here’s Jaro, in habs backyard,  signing autographs and greeting fans and supporting St Justine children’s hospital and basically saying to Mtl fans …. see what a fine fellow I am.

And meanwhile our number #1 goalie is winning “golden lariats” and earning his “spurs” in Calgary or wherever the current rodeo tourney is being held. Am I being cowboy challenged by putting rodeo and tourney in the same sentence.

He’s building a public relations nightmare that nothing short than a 5 and 0 start with first or 2nd star performances will overcome.

Gonna be fun!

26. SensFanSpezza says:

In that case, it’s a good thing Jaro’s quick enough to stop the second shot too!

27. ooder says:

at 5″7 and 140 lbs

i would roundhouse kick Laraque

then tell him i’m not a fighter and eat a carrot in front of him

——————

88 is the new 23

28. Slovak says:

OK so if you donΒ΄t call Price – Priceberg or Pricebench you must call him: Price-the-best-benched-puckmaster-with-sun-blocking-potential? Correct?

29. JasonM says:

Hey, did Price sign yet?

30. WarHero says:

Yeah Bugs, I laughed to :)

————————————————————————

31. adam76 says:

I laughed.

32. ooder says:

after all these years of trying ya finally did it bugsy πŸ˜‰

that was hilarious :)

——————

88 is the new 23

33. punkster says:

We love you man.

FREE TIMO!

34. SLONCOLD says:

nice gesture by jaro to do a little work for charity. funny gesture by his agent lol that guy should just delete his twitter account or have a regional clause not allowing him to post in the province of quebec.

35. ooder says:

Boone haven’t heard from you in a while..

welcome back, i hope you enjoyed your vacation

——————

88 is the new 23

36. K-hab25 says:

Ya he did it 109 times last season and Jaro did it 105 times. Difference is when Price stops a puck, it stays stopped or directed to the corners, not back into the slot like Jaro. :-)

37. K-hab25 says:

I was just messing with his “supposed” brother, sensfanspezza. I know Ian has kids in juniors stay with him sometimes and he said that Spezza was a cocky jerk, but that was like 10 years ago, people change. I personally have nothing against Spezza, except he’s sen, but other than that I don’t know the guy, nor do I pretend to.

38. volcano62 says:

It will sink in when the Habs start the season 1-9-1 with Priceless in nets.

39. ZepFan2 says:

None of the above.

Try, Kayla. That should work. πŸ˜‰

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

40. SensFanSpezza says:

No worries about rebounds when you just whiff on the first shot, is there?  Good thing Price never does that!  πŸ˜‰

41. SlovakHab says:

I’ve already moved on.. Thanks to Jaro for everything, but now the news about him don’t excite me anymore.

42. observer says:

No player EVER in a team sport single-handedly won the game or series for them if you want to be semanticly specific HOWEVER Halak was the best Habs player AND the main factor they won BOTH those series this year AND with the other Habs goalie playing they would have won neither. Both(two series) which is something no Habs team had won since 1993. Note – when Tinordi was born or a year old?

43. ZepFan2 says:

I thought it was funny.

I gets ya’ Bugsy.

———————————————————————–

– Steven Tyler

44. C-Dawg says:

LOL…nice one Bugs!!! actually made me laugh out loud.

45. K-hab25 says:

Look little guy, I know you’re trying to tell a joke, but your grasp of the language is as bad as little Jaro’s rebound control. Keep trying though, one day you’ll get it. There’s no hope for little Jaro’s rebound control though. :-)

46. JD_ says:

Hang in there, Bugs.

47. Storm Man says:

LMAO….

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

48. Bill J says:

Brad….

Your closing line defines what Price supporters feel like in general.

Do you see a constant bashing of Halak around here ?

Do you see a constant bashing of Price around here ?

Price supporters who are also Habs fans FIRST – are tired of the BS.

Allow the team to play some games before judging the team or its players.

49. Storm Man says:

What do you call the H-Word?  Jose.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

50. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t you mean, 4-11?

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

51. B says:

What makes it a fact that he’s a douche? Seriously, I don’t understand the label.

52. Bugs says:

(sigh)

No one gets me.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

53. Curtoph says:

You make no sense.

54. Slovak says:

How do you call Price in your dreams, is it Priceberg or Pricebench? Just asking :)

55. K-hab25 says:

Doesn’t change the fact he’s a douche. :-)

56. habstrinifan says:

Please step back a minute and address the topic fairly. You know it is hyperbole when someone says “he won the game by himself’. Of course no one means that there is only ONE player on the ice.

But if you played high level competition you will surely accept that on some occasions, a player can WIN a game by himself.

It is especially more applicable to hockey and maybe basket ball than football or baseball. But let me describe a scenario in football and you tell me if the player did NOT win the game by himself.

Two football teams. No offense or equally incompetent offense. No real defensive skill either.. just bumbling football. So there are many many punts on both sides.

Every time SIDE A punts, player G (let’s call him Halak just for the fun of it) receives the punt and darts to the sidelines and thru sheer speed he returns the ball for a touch down…everytime. Not on one occasion is a ‘block’ made to clear his way.. he just basically outruns everyone.

No other scoring is done by either team, because both teams have bumbling offenses.

Final score Halak scores 41 points… scoreboard error.

Would you say that he has won the game by himself?

No one said he ‘played’ the game by himself!

57. K-hab25 says:

You couldn’t believe your eyes because your a Sens fan, you don’t know what goaltending is supposed to look like. Jaro was good, not great and Roy and Dryden are hero’s, not Halak and Theodore, or Price, for that matter. We have higher standards around here. Price knows that all to well.

58. Bugs says:

‘Bout time.

It was embarrassing to watch his dad holding his hand.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

59. Exit716 says:

Walsh is going to realize that once the season starts and his star client in St. Louis, no one in the hockey world will care about his Tweets.

60. Kooch7800 says:

seriously?

61. K-hab25 says:

OK!! I say it was, now burden of proof is on you.

62. derfab says:

Lappy, for mouthing off so much and not hitting either of them first.

character is derfab destiny.

63. Kooch7800 says:

Halak is good character guy and a good goalie.  I will remember him fondly in a habs uni.  The Habs organization was stuck with the salary cap and couldn’t keep Halak and Price.  Both are good goalies.  Halak is better right now but Carey will be good.

Of course it is dissapointing losing a great player. I think Eller and Schultz will be nice additions.  I am really excited to see what Schutlz can do with the dogs this year.

The dogs are going to have a sweet team this year.

64. B says:

Yes, 475 points in 464 career RS games so far along with a +73 is not so bad.

65. joeybarrie says:

Obviously I punch the one that does not play for MY team… If I HAVE to punch one of them, cause i am a pacifist, and probably suck at fighting anyways…

I will say that if I do Punch Halak, Price will probably come at me for getting in his way… Which I love.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

66. Neil says:

Bigger news is that Markov is skating by himself

67. K-hab25 says:

Carey Price doesn’t need my help to beat up a guy 4′ inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter. Plus Jaro is kinda timid. Doesn’t really strike me as a fighter.

68. G-Man says:

Neither. Real tempted to hit Goatier, though.

69. Storm Man says:

The topic here was volcano62 posted that he SINGLE handedly beat the caps and pens. I like your football story but you need teammates to block for you no matters how fast you are. Always someone faster.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

70. habstrinifan says:

ouch!

71. LA Loyalist says:

Jeff Hacket played pretty damn well behind a very average team. He was Habs player of the year several times (not sure who votes on that).

As for Ty Conklin’s stats, Joe Thornton has great stats too. I’ll take it in the playoffs when it actually counts.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

72. JD_ says:

Thanks, SF. Appreciate the suggestion given your penchant for bein’ a consistently thoughtful poster. For the record, you beat me to the Halak “live” crack. Good eye.

As for bloggin’, no, and you’re not the first to bring it up. Problem is, I’m tied into too many things and don’t want to commit to somethin’ I might just drop on a dime. One of these days, I’ll probably just disappear from here.

I promise, however, not to post some melodramatic piece explainin’ why, although Burkie should be the first thing that comes to mind as a suspect in my disappearance.

73. adam76 says:

It was not planned before the trade.

Burden of proof is on you.

74. mike g says:

MIKE’S MONDAY MORNING SCENARIO:

You’re walking in downtown MTL next Saturday night, and you see a giant scrum infront of a nightclub. There’s a big brawl going on between Jaro Halak and Carey Price. They’re both one punch away from being knocked the f-uk out.

If you could throw in one jab to knock one of them out, which one do you punch?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

75. K-hab25 says:

You don’t think this might have been planned before he was traded? Don’t get me wrong, the way his agent has a bigger hard on for Carey than you do, he’d probably love it if Carey’s not signed yet. That way they can get all the Jaro sheep a stiring, about how the guy they traded is here signing autographs for charity and the one they kept is in western Canada, riding horses, unsigned. I remember Kovalev coming back for charity last year and all his sheep ate it up, like the Jaro sheep are eating this up. It’s a charity he had an obligation to. Nothing more, nothing less.